Share/Save/Bookmark

Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

How to report a possible transcription error

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

For Communities starting with: A - F
For Communities starting with: G - P
 

 

 

                 TOWNS, VILLAGES AND SETTLEMENTS - Q-Z

Q

            QUEEN’S COVE.  Pop. 99. Lumbering-fishing settlement in the S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 4 sawmills. 1 radio. PO.

 

            QUIDI VIDI.  Pop. 599. A very ancient and picturesque fishing settlement a mile or so outside the eastern limit of St. John’s, lying between Quidi Vidi Lake and Quidi Vidi Gut. First settled probably in the early 16th century. Here in the 1650s and later lived the Newfoundland patriot John Downing, the planter who in 1675 went as the people’s delegate to England to procure the rescinding of the Royal Proclamation ordering all settlers to remove from the country. In 1705 it had 20 houses and families. A battle was fought near here in 1762, when the British troops landed at Torbay and marched overland to recapture St. John’s from the French. The French had held the capital for several weeks that summer, and in anticipation of a probable attempt by the British to land their forces at Quidi Vidi Gut (or entrance to the sea) the French barred it by sinking rock-filled shallop boats in it. Nearby the settlement on the lower north side of the lake the U.S. Government is at present constructing an important military base.

 

            QUIRPON.  Pop. 100. An ancient and well-known fishing settlement on the Newfoundland side of the Strait of Belle Isle. First frequented by the Biscayans and French in the 16th century, though by 1609 a few English settlers had located here. In 1541 it as the headquarters of Jacques Cartier’s expedition. In 1764 there were 16 French fishing ships with 17,900 quintals. Government cold storage bait freezer. 559 m. from St. John’s, 415 from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. 1 sawmill. 6 radios. PT (seas.).

R

            RAGGED HARBOUR.  Pop. 96. Fishing settlement close to Musgrave Harbour, on the Straight Shore, Fogo Dist. (See Musgrave Hr.)

 

            RAGGED POINT.  Pop. 69. Fishing settlement on the western side of South Twillingate Island, near Twillingate.

 

            RALEIGH.  Pop. 184. (Formerly called Ha Ha). A fishing settlement in Ha Ha Bay, Strait of Belle Isle. 573 m. from St. John’s, 401 from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. 1 sawmill. 5 radios. PO.

 

            RAMEA.  Pop. 447. Fishing settlement (island) on S.W. Coast, 9 m. east of Burgeo. Bank fishing centre. Lobstering. Halibut fishery is important here. This is one of the S.W. Coast settlements which are likely to have greater importance and prosperity through the General Sea Foods Corp. fresh fish-processing plant to be erected in 1941-42. Government cold storage bait freezer. 437 m. from Argentia, 86 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo, Bacalieu. Nursing station. Customs. 22 radios. PT.

 

             RATTLING BROOK.  Pop. 122. Fishing-lumbering settlement near the head of Green B. A very picturesque place. The brook falls into the sea from a height of 600 feet in two or three sheer drops, all within sight. 1 sawmill. 168 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 2 radios. PO.

 

            RED BAY.  Pop. 135. A fishing settlement on the Labrador side of the Strait of Belle Isle, notable chiefly for the fact the=at here about 40 years ago was established a fishermen’s producer-consumer co-operative society which still operates under the management since its beginning of William Yetman Pike, J.P., a native of Carbonear. Most of the inhabitants are of Carbonear descent. Northern Ranger. 5 radios. PO.

 

            RED BROOK.  Pop. 76. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the southern shore of the Port au Port peninsula.

 

            RED CLIFFE.  Pop. 108. Fishing settlement on the south side of Bonavista B., roughly half-way between King’s Cove and Princeton. Salmon and squid are especially numerous here and nearby. PO.

 

            RED COVE.  Pop. 98. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the S.W. Coast, on the headland separating Hermitage and Connaigre Bays.

 

            RED HEAD COVE.  Pop. 240. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the B. de Verde peninsula. 7 m. from Bay de Verde. 2 radios. PO.

 

            RED ISLAND.  Pop. 433. Fishing-lobstering settlement (island) in the centre of Placentia B., near the southern end of Merasheen Island, 20 m. from Argentia. Home. 3 radios. PT.

 

            RED ISLAND.  Pop. 111. Fishing-lobstering settlement on S.W. Coast, near the mainland between Burgeo and Ramea Islands.

 

            REDLANDS.  Pop. 33. Fishing settlement between Job’s Cove and Lower Island Cove, on the north shore of Conception Bay.

 

            REEF’S HARBOUR.  Pop. 63. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, about 2 m. from Old Ferrole.

            REGINA.  Pop. 81. Fishing settlement on the eastern end of Big Colinet Island, St. Mary’s Bay.

 

            RENCONTRE EAST.  Pop. 311. Fishing settlement at the central head of Fortune B. Here is located a molybdenite mine which, after undergoing some survey and exploitation, was taken under the management of Dana & Co. of New York, who plan its exploitation. 218 m. from Argentia, 305 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. Nursing Cent. 6 radios. PT.

 

            RENCONTRE WEST.  Pop. 248. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the S.W. Coast, west of B. D’Espoir, between Richard’s Hr. and Francois. 395 m. from Argentia, 128 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. Government cold storage bait freezer. Nursing Cent. 7 radios. PT.

 

            RENEWS.  Pop. 462. An ancient fishing settlement on the Southern Shore. First settled probably in the early 17th century, or even earlier. In 1600 French fishing ships frequented here. In 1677 it had 6 dwellings, 6 planters, 3 wives, 4 sons, 6 daughters, 38 fishery servants, 13 boats, 6 stages, 14 cattle, 7 sheep, 35 hogs, and produced 1160 quintals of fish. Here exists one of the few known “Midnight Rocks” in Newfoundland, where Roman Catholics met in darkness to attend Masses celebrated by priests disguised as fishermen, about the middle of the 18th century, when the practice of Roman Catholicism was unlawful in Newfoundland. A grotto was erected a few years ago on the site of this Midnight Rock. 61 m. by highway from St. John’s. 8 radios. PT.

 

            RICHARD’S HARBOUR.  Pop. 115. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the S.W. Coast, between Rencontre W. and Facheaux B. 382 m. from Argentia, 141 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo.

 

            RIGOLET.  Pop. 26. Labrador fishing-furring settlement north of Cartwright. 737 m. from St. John’s. Kyle. H.B. Co. post. 2 radios. PO.

 

            RIVERDALE.  Pop. 148. Farming settlement in Conception B., between Kelligrews and Upper Gullies.

 

            RIVER OF PONDS.  Pop. 46. Fishing settlement about 10 m. south of Point Riche, on the St. Barbe coast.

 

            RIVERSIDE MILLS.  POp. 12. Site of the woollen mills operated by the Royal Stores Ltd. of St. John’s, inland about 2 m. from Clarke’s Beach, Conception B.

 

            ROBERT’S ARM.  Pop. 45. (Figures refer to the permanent settlement only). An important pulpwood cutting centre of recent development. In the winter of 1939 250 men were employed by Bowater Co. of Corner Brook, cutting pulpwood for export to G. Britain. 84 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 1 sawmill. 7 radios. PT.

 

            ROBINSON’S. Pop. 182. A farming settlement in St. George’s Dist. On the West Coast, notable chiefly for the fact that nearby lie the St. George’s coal fields, undeveloped. Bowater Co. of Corner Brook employ 40 loggers cutting pulpwood for Corner Brook. 486 m. by rail from St. John’s, 67 from Port aux Basques. 1 sawmill.

 

            ROBINSON’S STATION.  Pop. 61. Farming settlement on the main railway in St. George’s Dist. 2 m. distant is Robinson’s (q..v.). R Tel.

 

            ROCK HARBOUR.  Pop. 182. Fishing settlement at the N.E. entrance to Mortier B., Placentia B. West. LT.

 

            ROCKY HARBOUR.  Pop. 261. Lumbering-fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, 9 m. north of Bonne Bay. 75 m. from Humbermouth. Founded in 1805 by Rich. Cross, Pelley and Randell, three Englishmen, who ere soon joined by John Payne. Northern Ranger. 11 sawmills. 11 radios. POMO.

 

            RODGER’S COVE.  Pop. 43. Lumbering settlement between Victoria Cove (Gander Bay) and Horwood (Dog B.) In Fogo Dist.

 

            RODDICKTON.  Logging-lumbering settlement at the head of Canada B., on the French Shore. Named after late Sir Thomas Roddick, M.D., a native of Hr. Grace. 13 radios. PT.

 

            ROMAINE’S BROOK.  Pop. 26. Lobstering settlement on the north shore of B. St. George, just east of the isthmus of Port au Port. Notable for the presence of great deposits of high-grade gypsum.

 

            ROSE BLANCHE. Pop.537. An important fishing settlement in the District of Burgeo and LaPoile on the S.W. Coast. An extensive winter fishery is carried on here, and the settlement and neighbouring places are likely to become much more important and prosperous from the activity of the General Sea Foods Corp. of the USA, who, with the financial co-operation of the Newfoundland Government, are expected in 1941-42 to erect a large fish-processing plant at which to prepare all kinds of fish and blueberries for export to the United States. Harvey & Co. of St. John’s, operating a bank fishery here, and a cold storage fresh fish filleting plant. 503 m. from Argentia, 20 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. Nursing Cent. Customs. 28 radios. PT.

 

            ROUGE HARBOUR.  Pop. 29. Fishing settlement just south of Nipper’s Hr., north side of Green B., N.D.B.

 

            ROUNDABOUT.  Pop. 34. A section of Burin.

 

            ROUND COVE.  Pop. 36. Fishing settlement in Hermitage Bay.

 

            ROUND HARBOUR.  Pop. 94. A very picturesque old fishing settlement on the north side of Green B. 2 radios. POMO.

 

            ROUND HARBOUR.  Pop. 47. Fishing settlement on the south side of the island which separates Hermitage B. from B. D’Espoir.

 

            RUSHOON.  Pop. 194. A fishing settlement in Placentia B. West, near Baine Hr. The fishery here is prosecuted mainly in “Western” boats.

 

            RUSHY POND.  Pop. 32. Farming section near Grand Falls.

S

            SADDLE ISLAND.  Pop. 41. Fishing settlement in the mouth of B. D’Espoir.

 

            SAFE HARBOUR.  Pop. 256. Inland and Labrador fishing settlement on the north side of Bonavista B., between Greenspond and Wesleyville. 11 radios. POMO.

 

            SAGONA.  Pop. 223. Fishing-lobstering settlement (island) about half-way between Brunette Island and Great B. de L’eau. 3 radios. PT.

 

            ST. ALBAN’S.  Pop. 649. A lumbering-logging settlement at the head of Bay D’Espoir. Under the leadership of a devoted priest, the Rev. Stanley St. Croix, the people have for some years been organized in a type of co-operative enterprise, through which their logging activities have been carried on. 349 m. from Argentia. Island Timber Co. employs 250 loggers cutting pit props for export to G. Britain. Burgeo. Richard McDonald, J.P. 5 sawmills. Nurs. Cent. 12 radios. PT.

 

            ST. ANDREW’S.  Pop. 210. Old name: Little River. Farming settlement on the main railway, 20 m. from Port aux Basques. 2 sawmills. 20 radios. PT.

 

            ST. ANNE’S.  Pop. 72. Fishing settlement in Presque, (q.v.).

 

            ST. ANTHONY.  Pop. 842. Ancient fishing settlement toward N.E. corner of the St. Barbe peninsula. In 1534 named St. Anthony’s Haven. Headquarters in Newfoundland for the famous International Grenfell Association. Here are maintained a hospital, out-patient clinic, tuberculosis sanatorium, infectious disease isolation hospital, industrial workshop, orphanage, co-operative store, marine ship repair dock, and other enterprises founded by Sir Wilfred Grenfell. Many thousands of patients have come here from all parts of Newfoundland, especially the northern section and from Labrador; while an occasional patient comes from the United States and Canada. From here in summertime the Grenfell organization operates small hospital boats which ply up and down the coast of Labrador. One of the larger fish-exporting companies of St. John’s maintains here a fish-curing plant. Since the Clarke Steamship Co. made the settlement a port of call, thousands of tourists have visited here. 531 m. from St. John’s, 443 from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. Clarke Steamship tourist ships. 7 sawmills. Post Sav. Bank. 53 radios. PT.

 

            ST. ANTHONY’S BIGHT.  Pop. 113. Fishing settlement immediately north of St. Anthony. 4 sawmills.

 

            ST. BARBE ISLANDS (or Horse Islands). Pop. 126. Two large islands lying off the mouth of White B. on the French Shore. Fishing is the occupation here. It was on one of these that most of the survivors of the disaster which befell the sealing ship “Viking” in 1931, landed. PT.

 

            ST. BERNARD’S.  Pop. 201. Fishing-lobstering-herring packing settlement near the N.E. head of Fortune B., between Jervois and Bay L’Argent. POMO.

 

            ST. BRIDE’S.  Pop. 320. Fishing settlement a few miles north of Cape St. Mary, on the east side of Placentia B., 113 m. by highway from St. John’s. Nursing Cent. 1 radio. POMO.

 

            ST. CAROL’S.  Pop. 86. Fishing settlement just north of Cape St. Anthony.

 

            ST. CATHERINE’S.  Pop. 56. A section of Salmonier (q.v.).

 

            ST. CHAD’S.  Pop. 84. Fishing-farming settlement near northern entrance to Eastport B., Bonavista B. Centre.

 

            ST. DAVID’S.  Pop. 258. Old name: Crabbe’s. Farming settlement in St. George’s Dist., 2 m. from St. Fintan’s. 2 sawmills. 16 radios. POMO.

 

            ST. FINTAN’S.  Pop. 106. Old name: Crabbe’s Station. Farming settlement on the main railway, 60 m. from Port aux Basques. 32 radios. PT.

 

            ST. GENEVIEVE BAY.  Pop. 9. Logging settlement on the St. Barbe coast, 10 m. south of Flower’s Cove. Bowater Co. of Corner Brook employs 200 loggers cutting pulpwood for export to G. Britain.

 

            ST. GEORGE’S.  Pop. 725. An important agricultural settlement at the head of Bay of same name. Capital of St. G. Dist. Seat of late Rt. Rev. H.T. Renouf, Bishop of St. G. St. Michael’s College here enjoys a high scholastic standing, and students attend from distant parts of the Island. 100 loggers employed cutting pit props for export to G. Britain by Bowater Co. of Corner Brook. West Bay Lumber Co. employs 100 loggers for same purpose. 459 m. by rail from St. John’s, 88 from Port aux Basques, 54 from Corner Brook. 3 sawmills. 47 radios. PT.

 

            ST. JACQUES.  Pop. 284. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the west side of Fortune B., south of Belleoram. Birthplace of V.P. Burke, Ph.D., M.A., O.B.E. 246 m. from Argentia, 277 from Port aux Basques. Brunette. 16 radios. PT.

 

            ST. JOHN’S.  Pop. 39,886. Capital of Newfoundland. Discovered June 24th, 1497, and named after St. John the Divine. Undoubtedly one of the oldest cities, if not the oldest, continuously inhabited by the white race in the Western Hemisphere. Settlement probably began within ten years after 1500. It was a well-established settlement when Sir Humphrey Gilbert came and took formal possession of Newfoundland for the Crown, 1583. First fortified in 1618. Many times attacked by the Dutch, and later frequently attacked and twice captured by the French (1696-97, 1762). For the first 100 years of its history the port was the favourite rendevous for fishing vessels, traders and adventurers from most of the countries of Europe, and most of the famous men of the 16th and 17th centuries S Gaspar de Corte Real, de Roberval, Sir Humphrey Gilbert, Sir Bernard Drake, D’Iberville, D’Haussonville, etc., etc. S visited here. The port was for several months each summer the home of the great Lord Rodney, Lord Byron, Sir Thomas Graves, Sir Hugh Palliser, Lord Gambier, Sir John Thomas Duckworth, and other men famous in British Naval History, as Governors of Newfoundland. In the 19th century the town was half a dozen times practically destroyed by fire, in 1892 being all but wiped out. It was from here that Alcock and Brown made the first non-stop transAtlantic flight, and Lindberg flew over the city on his epochal solo flight, New York to Paris. It was on Signal Hill that Marconi received the first transAtlantic wireless message. The first transAtlantic radio telephone conversation was carried on from here. St. John’s is the political, educational, commercial and social capital of the country. Outstanding amongst the many notable buildings are the Anglican Cathedral, one of the finest examples of Gothic architecture in the Ne World; Roman Catholic Cathedral, one of the largest this side of the Atlantic; the Court House; Government House, residence of the Governor; Newfoundland Memorial University College; the Newfoundland Hotel; the Masonic Temple; and numerous fine schools and colleges. 547 m. by rail from Port aux Basques; 649 m. by water and rail from North Sydney; 1,821 from Liverpool; 688 from Halifax, N.S., 1,213 from New York, 885 from Boston. Furness Withy boats; Furness-Red Cross boats; various lines operate cargo boats to here; Newfoundland railway coastal boats. Bank of Montreal; Bank of Nova Scotia; Royal Bank of Canada; Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce; Newfoundland Government Savings Bank; Postal Savings Bank. 4,282 radios.

 

            ST. JOHN’S ISLAND.  Pop. 25. Lobstering-fishing settlement in B. of St. John, just north of Point Riche, on the St. Barbe coast.

 

            ST. JONES WITHIN.  Pop. 136. Lumbering-fishing settlement on the north side S.W. Arm, Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 6 sawmills. 7 radios. POMO.

 

            ST. JONES WITHOUT.  Pop. 140. Fishing settlement on the headland between Bay Bulls Arm and S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. Founded 1858 by a family named Green from Winterton. LT. 4 radios. PO.

 

            ST. JOSEPH’S.  Pop. 103. Lumbering settlement between St. Alban’s and head of B. d’Espoir, S.W. Coast.

 

            ST. JOSEPH’S (including Mussel Pond).  Pop. 483. Fishing-lumbering settlement near the N.E. head of St. Mary’s B. 58 m. by highway from St. John’s. 1 sawmill. 9 radios. PO.

 

            ST. JOSEPH’S.  Pop. 212. Fishing-lobstering settlement in Placentia B. West, west of Paradise Sound and Petit Forte. 57 m. from Argentia. Home. 1 radio.

 

            ST JOSEPH’S COVE.  Pop. 37. Lumbering settlement in Bonne B.

            ST. JULIEN’S.  Pop. 19. Ancient fishing settlement on the French Shore, between Conche and St. Anthony. To this place each summer for many years fishermen have come from Notre Dame, Conception and Bonavista Bays. 510 m. from St. John’s. Northern Ranger. PT (seasonal).

 

            ST. KYRAN’S.  Pop. 95. Fishing settlement in Placentia B. West, south of Isle Valen, west of Merasheen island. 29 m. from Argentia. Home. 4 radios. PT.

 

            ST.  LAWRENCE.  Pop. 955. Mining-fishing settlement at the S.E. corner of the Burin Peninsula. A rich deposit of fluorspar has been worked for several years here, and in 1939 the mine was acquired by important Canadian interests. 123 m. from Argentia. Home. 1 sawmill. Customs. 77 radios. PT.

 

            ST. LEONARD’S.  Pop. 37. Lobstering settlement between Isle Valen and St. Kyran’s, west of Merasheen Island, Placentia Bay W.

 

            ST. LUNAIRE.  Pop. 177. Fishing settlement on the French Shore, 2 m. south of Griquet. LT.

 

            ST. MARY’S (inc. Riverhead, 265).  Pop. 640. Fishing settlement on the east side of St. Mary’s B., north of Holyrood Pond. In 1697 the French fished here. Government cold storage bait freezer. Dr. W.T. MacNicholl, M.H.O. 76 m. by highway from St. John’s. Customs. 21 radios. PT.

 

            ST. MICHAEL’S.  Ancient section of Tors Cove (q.v.).

 

            ST. PATRICK’S.  Pop. 136. Fishing settlement on the north side of Little Bay, N.D.B. LT.

 

            ST. PAUL’S.  Pop. 115. Fishing-lobstering settlement (island) on the St. Barbe coast, between Bonne B. and Portland Creek. 1 sawmill. LT.

 

            ST. PHILLIP’S.  Pop. 631. Old name: Broad Cove. Fishing-farming settlement in Conception Bay South, near Portugal Cove. 9 m. by highway from St. John’s. 2 sawmills. 3 radios. PO.

 

            ST. SHOTT’S.  Pop. 119. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the peninsula separating Trepassey and St. Mary’s Bays, west of Cape Pine. 1 radio. POMO.

 

            ST. THERESA’S.  Pop. 117. Fishing-lobstering settlement near the head of B. St. George, S. of St. George’s, between Flat B. and Journois. 7 radios. PO.

 

            ST. THOMAS’ (Horse Cove). Pop. 237. Farming settlement in Conception B. South, between St. Phillip’s and Topsail. 7 radios.

 

            ST. VINCENT’S.  Pop. 384. Fishing settlement on the south-east side of St. Mary’s B., in Holyrood B., near Holyrood Pond. 1 sawmill. 86 m. by highway from St. John’s. 5 radios. PO.

 

            SALLY’S COVE.  Pop. 99. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast between Rocky Hr. and Parsons’ Pond. PO.

 

            SALMON COVE.  Pop. 497. Farming settlement on the North Shore of Conception B., 6 m. by highway from Carbonear. Many of the men work in the Bell Island iron mines. 31 radios. POMO.

 

            SALMON COVE.  Pop. 143. Fishing-farming settlement in Conception B., close to Clarke’s Beach. Birthplace of Bishop George Anderson Wells, Protestant Chaplin-General of the Canadian armed forces in the present war. PO.

 

            SALMON COVE.  Pop. 29. Lobstering-fishing settlement on the western shore of the Port au Port peninsula, between C. St. George and Lourdes.

 

            SALMONIER.  8 sawmills. 51 m. by highway from St. John’s. 2 radios.

 

            SALT HARBOUR ISLAND.  Pop. 228. Fishing settlement (island) off the N.W. end of New World Island, just W. of Herring Neck, N.D.B.

 

            SALT POND.  Pop. 114. Fishing settlement on the N.W. side of Burnt B. (at the head of which Lewisporte lies). PO.

 

            SALT PANS.  Pop. 81. Fishing settlement on the north side of New World Island, between Virgin Arm and Trump Is., N.D.B. 1 sawmill.

 

            SALVAGE.  Pop. 192. An ancient fishing settlement in the middle part of Bonavista B. First settled probably about the middle of the 17th century, the first residents being fishermen ho removed here from Bonavista. 134 m. from St. John’s. Sagona. Nursing Cent. 7 radios. POMO.

 

            SAMSON’S ISLAND.  Pop. 92. Fishing settlement (island) at the S.W. end of New World Island, N.D.B.

 

            SANDY COVE.  Pop. 160. Fishing (inshore and Labrador) settlement in Bonavista B., beside Happy Adventure. 1 sawmill. LT.

 

            SANDY COVE.  Pop. 115. Fishing-lobstering settlement of the St. Barbe coast, between Port Saunders and Gargamelle. 1 sawmill.

 

            SANDY COVE.  Pop. 49. Fishing settlement on the Port de Grave peninsula (q.v.), Conception Bay.

 

            SANDY COVE.  Pop. 35 Fishing settlement near Tilting, Fogo Island.

            SANDY COVE.  Pop. 33. Fishing settlement on Twillingate I., N.D.B.

 

            SANDY POINT.  Pop. 336. Fishing settlement at the head of B. St. George, about 2 m. from St. George’s. Birthplace of C.E.A. Jeffrey. 1 sawmill. 20 radios. POMO.

 

            SAUNDERS COVE.  Pop. 117. Lumbering-fishing settlement in Alexander B., Bonavista B. North. 1 sawmill. LT.

 

            SAVAGE COVE.  Pop. 124. Fishing-lobstering settlement about 4 m. north of Flower’s Cove, on the St. Barbe coast.

 

            SEAL COVE.  Pop. 244. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the N.W. side of Connaigre B., which itself lies between hermitage B. and Hr. Breton. PO.

 

            SEAL COVE.  Pop. 165. Fishing settlement on the east side of White B., near Southern Arm. Here Sergeant Thomas Ricketts, V.C., was reared, and a concrete school building with a plaque exists in his honour. 326 m. from St. John’s. Northern Ranger. 7 radios. PT.

 

            SEAL COVE.  Pop. 152. Situated at the head of Conception B. This farming section is notable chiefly for the fact that a hydro-electric power house is operated here. 23 m. by rail from St. John’s, 23 by paved highway. 6 radios. PO.

 

            SEAL COVE.  Pop. 29. Fishing settlement on north side of Ne World Island, in Friday’;s B., N.D.B.

 

            SEAL ISLANDS.  Pop. 70. Labrador fishing settlement between Hawke’s Hr. and Batteau.

 

            SEARSTON.  Pop. 158. Fishing-farming settlement on the West Coast at the mouth of Grand River, south of Cape Anguille. 1 sawmill. 7 radios. POMO.

 

            SEBASQUESTO.  Pop. 30. Furring settlement on Lake Melville, Hamilton Inlet, Labrador.

 

            SELDOM-COME-BY.  Pop. 271. Ell-known fishing settlement on the southern side of Fogo Island. A favourite haven for Labrador schooners passing to and from Labrador. 314 m. from St. John’s. Sagona. 10 radios.

 

            SEPARATION POINT.  Pop. 31. Salmon fishing settlement separating West and Eagle Rivers, Sandwich Bay, Labrador.

 

            SHALLOP COVE.  Pop. 276. Fishing settlement near the head of B. St. George. 2 radios. PO.

 

            SHALLOWAY COVE.  Pop. 93. Fishing settlement on S.W. side of St. Brendan’s Island, Bonavista B. Centre.

 

            SHAMBLER’S COVE.  Pop. 57. Fishing settlement about 3 miles N. of Greenspond, Bonavista B. North. 1 radio. PO.

 

            SHEARSTOWN.  Pop. 712. A beautiful pastoral section of Harbour Grace Dist. In Conception B., between Bay Roberts and Spaniard’s B. Farming and cattle-raising carried on rather extensively.

 

            SHEAVES COVE.  Pop. 92. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the southern shore of the Port au Port peninsula. 1 sawmill.

 

            SHIP COVE.  Pop. 66. Fishing settlement south of Placentia, on the shore leading to Cape St. Mary, Placentia B. East. 1 sawmill. 2 radios. PO.

 

            SHIP COVE.  Pop. 256. Fishing settlement on the Port de Grave peninsula (q.v.).

 

            SHIP COVE.  Pop. 69. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the southern shore of the Port au Port peninsula.

 

            SHIP HARBOUR.  Pop. 103. Fishing settlement on the east side of Placentia B., north of Argentia. 1 sawmill. PO.

 

            SHIP ISLAND. Pop. 103. Fishing settlement on Ragged Islands, which lie between Merasheen island and the mainland, Placentia B. West.

 

            SHIP ISLAND.  Pop. 112. Fishing settlement near Herring Neck, at the N.E. end of New World Island, N.D.B.

 

            SHOAL ARM.  Pop. 48. Fishing settlement on the mainland inside of Sunday Cove I., near the N.E. side of Hall’s Bay, N.D.B.

 

            SHOAL BAY.  Pop. 96. Fishing settlement on the N.E. side of Fogo Island, between Fogo and Barr’d Island.

 

            SHOAL BAY WEST.  Pop. 96. Fishing-lumbering settlement in Bonne B. PO.

 

            SHOAL BROOK.  Pop. 125. Settlement within Bonne B.

 

            SHOAL COVE.  Pop. 49. Lobstering-fishing settlement between Sandy Cove and Green I., just north of Flower’s Cove, at the western end of the Strait of Belle Isle, St. Barbe coast.

 

            SHOAL HARBOUR.  Pop. 523. Lumbering-farming settlement on the main railway and at the head of the N.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. This is the actual point from which the Bonavista branch railway leaves the main line, though passengers and freight go aboard at Clarenville, 1 m. distant. Shoal Hr. was settled by John Tilley, “the scholar of Trinity Bay,” a remarkable man who educated himself and wrote several poems, the MS. of one of which, of some length and merit, is now here. 132 m. from St. John’s, 88 from Bonavista by rail. 2 sawmills. 19 radios.

 

            SHOAL POINT.  Pop. 63. Part of Trepassey, (q.v.).

 

            SHOE COVE.  Pop. 110. Fishing-farming settlement on the Cape St. Francis shore, 15 m. north of St. John’s, 3 m. south of Pouch Cove.

 

            SHOE COVE BIGHT.  Pop. 108. Fishing settlement just south of Cape John, on the northern extremity of Green B. shore. PO.

 

            SHOE COVE BROOK.  Pop. 74. Fishing settlement immediately south of Shoe Cove Bight. A very picturesque settlement. Northern terminus for the Clyde. 204 m. from Lewisporte. 2 radios. 1 sawmill.

 

            SHORE’S COVE.  Pop. 25. Ancient, picturesque fishing settlement beside Cape Broyle, Southern Shore.

 

            SIBLEY’S COVE.  Pop. 101. Fishing settlement on the north east side of Trinity B., between Brownsdale and Lead Cove. Founded about 1865 by Abraham Sparkes, of Lower Island Cove, Conception B.

 

            SILVERDALE.  Pop. 65. Fishing settlement on the N.W. side of Western Arm, which itself is on the promontory separating Green B. from Hall’s B. 1 sawmill.

 

            SILVER FOX ISLAND.  Pop. 172. Fishing settlement between Fair Island and Newport, 6 m. from Greenspond, Bonavista B. North.

 

            SILVER POINT.  Pop. 58. Settlement within Bonne B.

 

            SILVERTON.  Pop. 47. Lumbering settlement in Bonne B.

 

            SMITH’S HARBOUR.  Pop. 49. Fishing settlement between Burlington and Rattling Brook, north side of Green B., N.D.B.

 

            SMOKEY.  Labrador fishing settlement between Rigolet and Holton. 786 m. from St. John’s. Kyle. Summer wireless telegraph.

 

            SMOOTH COVE.  Pop. 47. Fishing settlement between Ochre Pit Cove and Northern B., on the north shore of Conception B.

 

            SNOOK’S ARM.  Pop. 63. Fishing settlement on the north shore of Green B., between Shoe Cove and Bett’s Cove, north of Nipper’s Hr.

            SNOOK’S HARBOUR.  Pop. 50. Lumbering-fishing settlement on the north side of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 2 sawmills. Here one of the country’s two brick-making plants is located, the other being at Brickyard, (q.v.).

 

            SOMERSET.  Pop. 112. Lumbering-farming settlement on the north side of Smith’s Sound, between Harcourt and White Rock, Trinity B. North. 3 sawmills.

 

            SOUND ISLAND.  Pop. 178. Fishing-lobstering settlement at the N.W. head of Placentia B., near Swift Current. 80 m. from Argentia. Home. 9 radios. PT.

 

            SOP’S ARM.  A lumbering settlement at the head of White B. 374 m. from St. John’s. Northern Ranger. 1 sawmill. 5 radios. PO.

 

            SOP’S ISLAND.  Pop. 211. Fishing-lumbering settlement about half-way up White B., 3 m. from Jackson’s Arm.

 

            SOUTH BRANCH.  Pop. 182. Farming settlement in the Codroy Valley, on the main railway. Here the Newfoundland Government in 1929 subsidized an attempt to develop a coal mine. 3 sawmills. 12 radios. PO.

 

            SOUTH BROOK.  Pop. 58. Farming-lumbering settlement at the head of Green B., near King’s Point.

 

            SOUTH BROOK.  Pop. 115. Logging-farming settlement on the main railway, east of Corner Brook. Bowater Co. of Corner Brook employs 100 loggers cutting pulpwood for their mill. Here also the Company pastures its horses in summer. A mile away is Pasadena. 388 m. by rail from St. John’s, 17 from Corner Brook. 22 radios.

 

            SOUTH DILDO.  Pop. 99. (See Dildo)

 

            SOUTH EAST ARM.  Pop. 78. Fishing settlement on the western side of the New Bay peninsula, south of Cottrell’s Cove, N.D.B.

 

            SOUTH EAST BIGHT.  Pop. 92. Fishing-lobstering settlement in Placentia W., between Paradise Sound and Presque.

 

            SOUTH RIVER.  Pop. 302. A very beautiful pastoral section inland from Clarke’s Beach. Its scenery is amongst the best on the Avalon Peninsula.

 

            SOUTH SIDE, INDIAN ISLAND.  Pop. 180. Fishing settlement (part of Indian Islands) off the S.E. corner of Fogo island.

 

            SOUTH WEST ARM.  Pop. 72. Logging settlement forming part of Indian B., Bonavista B. North.

 

            SOUTH EST ISLANDS.  Pop. 52. Fishing settlement (islands) beside Greenspond, Bonavista B. North.

 

            SOUTHERN ARM.  Pop. 64. Fishing settlement on the promontory separating Green B. from Hall’s B. 1 sawmill. LT.

 

            SOUTHERN HARBOUR.  Pop. 72. Fishing settlement in Placentia B. East, near Famish Cove.

 

            SOUTHPORT.  Pop. 149. Fishing settlement at the tip of the south side of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 1 sawmill. 2 radios. LT.

 

            SOUTHWARD BAY.  Pop. 187. Lumbering-farming-fishing settlement in Bonavista B. South, close to Princeton, on the Bonavista Branch railway. 2 sawmills. 31 m. by rail from Clarenville, 58 from Bonavista. 1 radio. PO.

 

            SPANIARD’S BAY.  Pop. 1,221. This fishing-farming-sawmill ton is the 5th largest settlement in Conception B. S Bell Island, 5,490; Carbonear, 3,367; Hr. Grace, 2,992; Bay Roberts, 1,911. Situated on the upper south side of Conception B., next north to Bay Roberts. An important wood-working factory is operated here. 65 m. from St. John’s by rail, 60 by highway. 109 radios. PT.

 

            SPANISH ROOM.  Pop. 169. Fishing settlement within Mortier B., Placentia B. West. PO.

 

            SPENCER’S COVE.  POp. 119. Fishing (inland and Bank) and herring packing settlement in Placentia B. West, between Kingwell and Haystack. 61 m. from Argentia. Home. 3 radios. PO.

 

            SPILLAR’S COVE.  Pop. 147. A rugged fishing settlement just to the south of the bill of Cape Bonavista, named after the several towering rocks on the coast nearby. These are well-known landmarks by which coastwise mariners take their bearings. 74 m. from St. John’s; 2 m. by road from Bonavista.

 

            SPILLAR’S COVE.  Pop. 55. Fishing settlement on the northern promontory of Newfoundland, between Cape Bauld and Cape Onion.

 

            SPIRITY COVE.  Pop. 33. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, in Hawke’s B. 1 sawmill.

 

            SPOON COVE.  Pop. 201. Fishing settlement between Upper Island Cove and Bryant’s Cove, Conception B.

 

            SPOTTED ISLANDS.  Pop. 88. Labrador fishing settlement between Batteau and Domino. 583 m. from St. John’s. Kyle. It was here that the immortal Newfoundland hero Capt. William Jackman saved 27 lives from drowning.

 

            SPOUT COVE.  Pop. 79. Fishing settlement nestled between two hills on the north shore of Conception B., between Perry’s Cove and Kingston. 8 m. by highway from Carbonear. 1 sawmill.

 

            SPREAD EAGLE.  Pop. 45. Fishing-lumbering settlement at the head of Trinity B., between Dildo and Chapel Arm. A favourite trout-fishing rendezvous for people from St. John’s. 2 sawmills.

 

            SPRINGDALE.  Pop. 825. Logging-lumbering-fishing settlement half-way up the west side of Hall’s B., N.D.B. Bowater Co. of Corner Brook employs 200 loggers cutting pulpwood and pit props for export to G. Britain. Fox-ranching has reached importance here. 3 sawmills. Dr. A.E. Lidstone, M.H.O. 98 m. from lewisporte. Clyde. Post Sav. Bank. 22 radios. PT.

 

            SPRINGFIELD.  Pop. 78. A farming section near South River, inland from Clarke’s Beach, Conception B.

 

            SPRUCE BROOK.  Pop. 59. Tourist centre on the main railway in St. George’s Dist., about half-way between Corner Brook and Stephenville Crossing. Bowater Co. of Corner Brook employs 300 loggers cutting pulpwood which is conveyed by rail to Corner Brook. 430 m. by rail from St. John’s, 118 from Port aux Basques. R. Tel. 5 radios.

 

            SQUARE ISLAND.  Pop. 22. Labrador fishing settlement north of Snug Hr. PO.

 

            STAG HARBOUR.  Pop. 198. Fishing settlement on the S.. Side of Fogo island, at the E. end of the famous Stag Hr. Run, popular course for fishing schooners passing to and from Labrador. Founded as a settlement in 1921 by people of Indian Islands, 3 m. distant, who moved here en mass. 3 radios. PO.

 

            STANHOPE.  Pop. 119. Fishing-farming-lumbering settlement near the N.E. entrance to B. of Exploits, N. of Brown’s Arm. 1 sawmill.

 

            STEPHENVILLE.  Pop. 926. Fishing-lobstering-farming settlement on the west Coast, at the head of B. St. George. 9 m. by road from Stephenville Crossing. Many of the men are loggers. West Bay Lumbering Co. employs 50 loggers cutting pit props for export to Great Britain. Near here the U.S. Government is at present constructing an emergency air base. 1 sawmill. 19 radios. POMO.

 

            STEPHENVILLE CROSSING.  Pop. 512. Farming settlement on the main railway, close to the coast at the head of B. St. George. Many of the men are expert loggers. Cottage Hosp. Dr. W.B. Coulter, M.H.O. 1 sawmill. 452 m. by rail from St. John’s, 47 from Corner Brook, 7 from St. George’s, 95 from Port aux Basques. 56 radios. PT.

 

            STOCK COVE.  Pop. 91. Fishing settlement in Bonavista B. South, between King’s Cove and Knight’s Cove in Blackhead Bay.

 

            STOCKING HARBOUR.  Pop. 40. Fishing settlement on the north side of Green B., N.D.B., near its mouth.

 

            STONE’S COVE.  Pop. 195. Fishing-lobstering settlement at the central head of Fortune B., E. of Rencontre E. 3 radios. PT.

 

            STUCKLESS COVE.  Pop. 99. Fishing settlement on the east side of White B., between Middle Arm and Western Arm.

 

            SUMMERFORD.  Pop. 437. Fishing (Labrador) and lumbering settlement at the S.E. corner of New World Island, N.D.B. 22 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 4 sawmills. 12 radios. POMO.

 

            SUMMERSIDE.  Pop. 294. Farming settlement in Humber Arm of B. of Islands. Clyde. 4 sawmills. 5 radios. PO.

 

            SUMMERVILLE.  Pop. 379. Fishing (inshore and Labrador) settlement in Bonavista B. South, near Princeton, which itself lies 36 m. by rail from Clarenville. 1 sawmill. 7 radios. POMO.

 

            SUNNYSIDE.  Pop. 383. Lumbering-farming-fishing settlement in Bay Bulls Arm, Trinity B., S.W. 2 sawmills. 15 radios. POMO.

 

            SUNNYSIDE.  Pop. 101. Part of Herring Neck, (q.v.).

 

            SWANGER’S COVE.  Pop. 27. Lumbering settlement near St. Alban’s, on the N.W. side of Bay d’Espoir.

 

            SWEET BAY.  Pop. 175. Fishing-lobstering settlement in Bonavista B. South, between Southward B. and Goose B. 1 radio. PO.

 

            SWIFT CURRENT.  Pop. 99. Lumbering settlement at the extreme N.W. head of Placentia B. From Goobie’s Siding to here, and here to terrenceville, at the N.E. head of Fortune B., a new highway is being built, to connect the Burin peninsula with St. John’s. 3 sawmills. LT.

 

            SYDNEY COVE.  Pop. 106. Fishing settlement (island) near Fair Island, Bonavista B. North, 8 m. off Greenspond.

T

            TACK’S BEACH.  Pop. 81. Fishing settlement (largely “Western” boats) in Placentia B. West, on the Western side of Merasheen Island. 16 radios. PT.

 

            TAYLOR’S BAY.  Pop. 104. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the Burin peninsula, near Lamaline.

 

            TEA COVE.  Pop. 32. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the west side of West B., Port au Port peninsula.

 

            TEMPLEMAN.  Pop. 216. Fishing (inshore and Labrador) settlement in Bonavista B. North, between Newtown and Wesleyville. PO.

 

            TERRA NOVA.  Pop. 64. Logging settlement on the main railway between Port Blandford and Alexander B. An important pulpwood centre for the Anglo-Newfoundland development Co. of Grand Falls, which employs 400 loggers here. 164 m. by rail from St. John’s, 112 from Grand Falls. 13 radios. R. Tel.

 

            TERRENCEVILLE.  Pop. 300. Fishing-lobstering-farming settlement at the N.E. head of Fortune B. The new highway from Goobie’s Siding, running through Swift Current, ill pass through here and run southward to the Burin peninsula. 1 sawmill. 4 radios. PO.

 

            TESSINJALUK.  Pop. 31. Fishing settlement just north of C. Harrison, south of Makkovik, Labrador.

 

            THICKETT.  Pop. 50. Part of Harbour Grace.

 

            THORNLEA.  Pop. 77. Fishing-lumbering settlement at the head of Collier B., which itself is at the head of Trinity B. 2 sawmills. 90 m. by highway from St. John’s.

 

            THOROUGHFARE.  Pop. 62. Fishing settlement at the eastern tip of Random Island, Trinity B. North. 3 radios. PO.

 

            THREE ROCK COVE.  POp. 94. Farming-fishing-lobstering settlement on the western shore of Port au Port peninsula. 1 radio. PO.

 

            TICKLE COVE.  Pop. 119. Fishing settlement in Bonavista B. South, between Keels and Red Cliffe.

 

            TICKLES.  Pop. 48. Fishing settlement between Haricot and Colinet, at the bottom of St. Mary’s B.

 

            TILT COVE.  Pop. 58. Fishing settlement on the north shore of Green B., about half-way between Nipper’s Hr. and Cape John. Formerly an important copper mine settlement. (See Little Bay, Green Bay). 200 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 3 radios. POMO.

 

            TILTON.  Pop. 386. An inland farming settlement between Spaniard’s B. and Hr. Grace. 67 m. by rail, 61 by highway from St. John’s, 7 by highway from Hr. Grace, 1 from Spaniard’s B.

 

            TILTING.  Pop. 393. Ancient fishing settlement on the eastern side of Fogo Island, between Cape Fogo and Joe Batt’s Arm. Founded probably about 1700. 327 m. from St. John’s. Sagona. 5 radios. POMO.

 

            TINKER’S ISLAND.  Pop. 112. Fishing settlement beside Greenspond, Bonavista B. North.

 

            TIZZARD’S HARBOUR.  Pop. 210. Fishing settlement at the N.W. entrance to Friday’s B., S.E. of Twillingate, N.W. end of New World Island, N.D.B. 91 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 3 radios. POMO.

 

            TOM TOUCHE’S COVE.  POp. 46. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the southern side of the Port au Port peninsula, between Jerry’s Nose and Ship Cove.

 

            TOMPKINS.  Pop. 134. Farming settlement on the main railway in the Codroy Valley. Much frequented by tourists for salmon fishing. 22 m. by rail from Port aux Basques. 2 sawmills. PO.

 

            TOO GOOD ARM.  Pop. 116. Fishing settlement at the N.E. end of New World Island, W. of Herring Neck.

 

            TOPSAIL.  Pop. 413. A beautiful farming section at the bottom of Conception B. Popular summer resort for St. John’s, many of whose inhabitants have built summer homes. 13 m. by rail from St. John’s. 13 by paved highway. Buses travel back and forth frequently each day in summer months. 1 sawmill. Post. Sav. Bank. 37 radios. PT.

 

            TOPSAILS.  Four mountain peaks in the interior. Fore Topsail, Main Topsail (1829') and Mizzen Topsail (1550') lie in a row, Gaff Topsail being out of alignment. The Gaff is on the main railway, 332 m. from St. John’s.

 

            TORBAY.  Pop. 1,523. An important fishing-farming section nine miles by highway from St. John’s, along the coast toward Cape St. Francis. First settled probably as long ago as the middle of the 16th century. In 1677 it had 3 dwellings, 2 planters, 2 ives, 2 boats, 6 cattle, 21 hogs, and produced 350 quintals of fish. Destroyed by D’Iberville’s troops, 1696-97. It was here, in 1762, that Colonel William Amherst (brother of Lord Jeffrey Amherst) landed his troops to march overland upon St. John’s to recapture it from the French. The settlement is on the Marine Drive, favourite motor-route for tourists. 9 m. by highway from St. John’s. 29 radios. POMO.

 

            TORQUAY.  Pop. 36. Fishing settlement at the extreme N.E. corner of Trinity B., south of Old Perlican.

 

            TOR’S COVE.  Pop. 269. Fishing settlement on the Southern Shore, 29 m. by highway from St. John’s. In 1705 it had 2 houses and families. 1 sawmill. 18 radios. PO.

 

            TOSSELO.  Pop. 38. Fishing-lumbering settlement in Placentia B. West, near Presque.

 

            TRAYTOWN.  Pop. 183. Lumbering-farming settlement in Alexander B., Bonavista B. North. 1 sawmill. 11 radios. POMO.

 

            TREPASSEY.  Pop. 552. An ancient fishing settlement in Trepassey B., a little west of Cape Race. In 1617 Sir William Vaughan established here. Settled by the French in the 17th century, though even then one or two English-speaking fishermen ere settled here. A magnificent harbour, capable of holding nearly all the fleets of the world. It as here, in 1919, that the American seaplanes, NC-1, NC-3 and NC-4 landed on their transAtlantic flight. Other notable flights were made across the Atlantic from here, including that of dePinedo, in 1927. 97 m. by highway and road from St. John’s. Nursing Cent. Customs. 12 radios. PT.

 

            TRINITY.  Pop. 780 (including Trinity East). A very ancient settlement, first settled probably toward the end of the 16th or early in the 17th century. Here Sir Richard Whitbourne made his headquarters, and here, 1615, held the first (Admiralty) court in the country’s history. Trinity is one of the most beautiful places in Newfoundland. In his famous book he reports: “On the 4th June being Trinity Sunday, I anchored in Trinity Harbour and there in the name of Holy and Individual Trinity I called together by virtue of my commission the masters of the English ships there lying, and so began to hold the first Court of Admiralty in your Majesty’s name that ever was I believe holden in that Country to the use of any Christian Prince ...” In 1705 it had 12 houses and families. Birthplace of Right Rev. William Charles White, Lord Bishop of Newfoundland. The scene of the first [smallpox] vaccination in the Western Hemisphere. The Trinity Benefit Club is one of the oldest bodies in the country. Here Rev. William Bullock wrote the hymn, “We Love the Place, O God.” 54 m. by rail from Clarenville; 185 by rail from St. John’s. Sagona. “Trinity Enterprise” published weekly. Dr. C.T. Fitzgerald, M.H.O. Post. Sav. Bank. 1 sawmill. 60 radios. PT.

 

            TRINITY.  Pop. 246. Lumbering-logging-fishing settlement in Bonavista B. North, between Indian B. and Lockyer’s Beach. 3 sawmills. POMO.

 

            TRITON.  Pop. 359. Fishing settlement on the southern side of triton Island, which itself lies off the mouth of Badger B., N.D.B. 72 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 6 radios.

 

            TROUT RIVER.  Pop. 506. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, 12 m. south of Bonne Bay. 1 sawmill. Nursing Cent. 5 radios. POMO.

 

            TROUTY.  Pop. 159. Fishing-lumbering settlement between Dunfield and New Bonaventure, south of Trinity, Trinity B. North. 2 sawmills.

 

            TROYTON.  Pop. 39. Settlement between Ivanhoe and British Hr., near the N.E. entrance to Smith’s Sound, Trinity B. North.

 

            TRUMP ISLAND.  Pop. 31. Fishing settlement in Friday’s B., which itself lies between New World and Twillingate Islands, N.D.B. There are two islands, N. and S. Trump.

 

            TURK’S COVE.  Pop. 60. Fishing settlement in Trinity B. South, between Winterton and New Perlican.

 

            TURK’S WATER.  Pop. 44. Section near Brigus, Conception B.

 

            TURNIP COVE.  Pop. 34. Lumbering settlement near Pool’s Cove, at the N.. Head of Fortune B.

 

            TWILLINGATE.  Pop. 1,048. North Side, 318; South Side, 514; Hart’s Cove, 69; Jenkin’s Cove, 114; Sandy Cove, 33. An important fishing and commercial settlement on the island of the same name in Notre Dame Bay. First settled about 1700 (see Back Harbour). In 1738 there were 2 English fishing ships, 3 sack ships, 16 families and 184 residents; 152 remained over the winter; 1,200 qtls. of fish; seal oil, £440; seal skins, £100. Maintains an important hospital, Notre Dame Bay memorial, the only one (excepting cottage hospitals at Old Perlican and Bonavista) between St. John’s and St. Anthony. Here are four of the oldest buildings still standing outside St. John’s: old wooden structures dated 1820, 1812 and 1782. A weekly newspaper, “Twillingate Sun,” and oldest in Nfld. is published here. Government cold storage bait freezer. Bank of Nova Scotia. 176 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. Post Sav. Bank. Customs. 4 sawmills. 82 radios. PT.

U

            UPPER FERRY.  Pop. 117. Farming settlement in the Codroy Valley, between Searston and Doyle’s, St. George’s Dist.

 

            UPPER GULLIES.  Pop. 260. Farming settlement in Conception B. South. 1 sawmill. 6 radios. PO.

 

            UPPER HUMBER.  Pop. 37. Logging-farming section near Deer Lake settlement.

 

            UPPER ISLAND COVE.  Pop. 942. Ancient fishing settlement in Conception B., between Spaniard’s B. and Bryant’s Cove. The people are noted for their wit. Many men work in the Bell Island mines. The place is sometimes called “The Walled City,” from the number of stone walls separating the numerous gardens. These were built by the early settlers as they cleared the land. Here too are more old homes, with original stone chimneys and open fireplaces than perhaps anywhere else in Newfoundland. 9 radios. PO.

V

            VALLEYFIELD.  Pop. 384. A fishing settlement on the north side of Bonavista B. A fish-curing plant is operated here S the first in Newfoundland. Many of the fishermen are seal-hunters, and many work in the pulp-wood cutting operations farther up toward the bottom of Bonavista B. Bowater’s of C. Brook employs here 170 loggers cutting pit props for export to G. Britain. 183 m. from St. John’s. Sagona.

 

            VENISON ISLANDS.  Pop. 30. Labrador fishing settlement between Snug Hr. and Hawke’s Hr. 535 m. from St. John’s. Kyle.

 

            VICTORIA.  Pop. 1,004. Farming settlement 3 m. by highway (inland) from Carbonear. Many of the men go away to the Bell Island and Cape Breton mines, and some to Labrador to fish. A hydro-electric plant here develops light for Carbonear and other Conception B. settlements. 34 radios. POMO.

 

            VICTORIA COVE.  Pop. 212. Fishing-lumbering settlement in Gander B., about 7 m. from Clarke’s head. 7 radios. POMO.

 

            VILLA VERTE.  Pop. 35. Fishing settlement closely south of Cape Bonavista.

 

            VIRGIN’S ARM.  Pop. 178. Fishing settlement at the head of Friday’s B., on the northern side of New World Island, N.D.B.

 

            VOISEY’S BAY.  Pop. 38 (Indians). Hudson’s Bay Co. trading post in Nain B., Labrador.

 

            VOY’S BEACH.  Pop. 43. Fishing settlement on south side of Humber Arm, B. of Islands.

W

            WARD’S HARBOUR.  Pop. 47. Fishing settlement on the N.W. corner of Long I., which itself lies off to the N.E. of Hall’s B., N.D.B.

 

            WAREHAM.  Pop. 94. Logging settlement in Indian B., Bonavista B. North. 1 radio. PO.

 

            WATERVILLE.  Pop. 30. Lumbering settlement between Monroe and Clifton on the central north side of Smith’s Sound, Trinity B. North.

            WELLINGTON.  Pop. 267. Logging settlement beside Hare B., Bonavista B. North, about 15 m. north of Gambo. 2 sawmills. LT.

 

            WELLMAN’S COVE.  Pop. 46. Fishing settlement on the south-eastern side of Sandy Cove Is., which itself lies at eastern entrance to Hall’s B., N.D.B.

 

            WEST BAY.  Pop. 237. A farming-logging-scallop-fishing centre on the Port au Port peninsula. West Bay Lumber Co. employs 150 loggers cutting pulpwood for the Corner Brook newsprint mill. 4 radios. PO.

 

            WEST BAY.  Pop. 31. Furring-fishing settlement immediately near the south side of the entrance to Hamilton Inlet, Labrador.

 

            WEST POINT.  Pop. 91. Fishing-lobstering settlement between Burgeo and Rose Blanche, S.W. Coast. LT.

 

            WEST ST. MODESTE.  Pop. 78. Fishing settlement on the Labrador side of the Strait of Belle Isle, between red B. and Lance au Loup. 723 m. from St. John’s, 251 from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. 1 radio.

 

            WESTERN ARM.  Pop. 83. Logging-lumbering-fishing settlement in White B., on the east side, west of Seal Cove. Bowater C. of Corner Brook employs 150 loggers cutting pit props and pulpwood for export to G. Britain. 1 sawmill. 3 radios. PO.

 

            WESTERN BAY.  Pop. 686. Farming-fishing settlement on the north shore of Conception B. Large number of men go from here as stationer fishermen to Labrador. Birthplace of Prof. E.J. Pratt, the poet; and of Dr. Joseph V. Follett, M.D., Calgary, and Rev. C.W. Follett, Toronto. 13 m. by highway from Carbonear. Dr. J.H. King, M.H.O. 1 sawmill. 67 radios. PT.

 

            WESTERN HEAD.  Pop. 83. Fishing settlement at the western end of New World Island, west of Moreton’s Hr., N.D.B.

 

            WESTPORT.  Pop. 111. Lumbering-fishing settlement, to the west of Western Arm, south side of White B., 18 m. S.E. of Hampden. 5 radios. POMO.

 

            WESLEYVILLE.  Pop. 1,182. Old name: Swain’s Island. An important fishing settlement on the north side of Bonavista Bay, home of many famous seal-hunting captains and men, and of many equally-famous Labrador schooner fishermen. Sagona. Post. Sav. Bnk. 35 radios. PT.

 

            WHALE’S BROOK.  Pop. 65. Fishing settlement in Trinity B. North East, between Brownsdale and New Melbourne.

 

            WHALE’S GULCH.  Pop. 114. Fishing settlement on the N.W. end of New World Island, between Bridgeport and Moreton’s Hr.

            WHITEWAY.  Pop. 153. Fishing-farming settlement in Trinity B. South, between Cavendish and Green’s Hr. 3 sawmills.

 

            WHITBOURNE.  Pop. 520. A railway divisional headquarters, notable chiefly for the fact that the late Right Hon. Sir Robert Bond, Newfoundland statesman, who had his home here, named the settlement after Sir Richard Whitbourne, the country’s great 17th century colonizing pioneer. Sir Robert Bond established a prosperous farm here in connection with his home. Headquarters for the Ranger Force. 54 m. by rail from St. John’s, 71 by highway. 5 sawmills. Dr. W.H. Newhook, M.H.O. Customs. 74 radios. PT.

 

            WHITE ROCK.  Pop. 72. Fishing-lumbering settlement near Monroe, north side of Smith’s Sound, Random, Trinity B. North.

 

            WILD BIGHT.  Pop. 91. Fishing settlement near Westport, south side of White B.

 

            WILD BIGHT.  Pop. 36. Fishing settlement on the southern side of the peninsula which separates Green B. from Hall’s B., N.D.B.

 

            WILD COVE.  Pop. 51. Fishing settlement on the S.E. side of Fogo Island, E. of Seldom-Come-By.

 

            WILD COVE.  Pop. 102. Fishing settlement on North Twillingate Island, N.D.B.

 

            WILD COVE.  Pop. 65. Fishing-lumbering settlement in White B., between Partridge Point and Seal Cove. 1 sawmill.

 

            WILD COVE.  Pop. 44. Fishing settlement toward N.W. entrance to Bonne B.

 

            WILD COVE.  Pop. 38. Fishing settlement in Canada B., on the French Shore.

 

            WILLIAM’S HARBOUR.  Pop. 28. Labrador-fishing settlement near Francis Hr. Bight.

 

            WILLIAMSPORT.  Pop. 141. A fishing settlement on the French Shore, near the entrance to White B. Notable chiefly for the grandeur of its scenery, as are so many other settlements along that shore right up to the bottom of White B. 436 m. from St. John’s. Northern Ranger. 1 radio. PO.

 

            WING’S POINT.  Pop. 58. Fishing settlement in Gander B.

 

            WINDSOR.  Pop. 1,447. This is mainly a residential town for employees of the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Company’s newsprint paper mill at Grand Falls, a mile away. Within Grand Falls most of the dwellings are owned by the company, and rented to employees. At Windsor most men own their own homes S in fact, its swift growth of population is due mainly to the characteristic determination of Newfoundlanders to own their own homes, however humble, in preference to paying rent. The settlement grew up without municipal government or other regulation, but recently an attempt has been made to remedy this defect. Old name: Grand Falls Station. 276 m. by rail from St. John’s; 271 from Port aux Basques. 4 sawmills. Post. Sav. Bnk. 119 radios. PT.

 

            WINTER BROOK.  Pop. 118. Lumbering settlement in Bonavista B. South, between Sweet B. and Goose B. 2 sawmills. 1 radio. PO.

 

            WINTER HOUSE.  Pop. 104. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the western shore of the Port au Port peninsula, West Coast.

 

            WINTER HOUSE BROOK.  Pop. 60. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, in Bonne B.

 

            WINTER HOUSE BROOK.  Pop. 37. Lumbering settlement in Bonne B.

 

            WINTERHOUSE COVE.  Pop. 52. Fishing settlement at the N.W. entrance to Green B., S. of Burlington.

 

            WINTERTON.  Pop. 977. Situated on the south side of Trinity B., this is the largest settlement in the Bay. First settled probably about the middle of the 17th century. In 1677 it had 4 dwellings, 3 planters, 2 wives, 5 sons, 3 daughters, 33 fishery servants, 8 boats, 11 cattle, 4 gardens, and produced 780 quintals of fish. Government ice and salt plant. 129 m. by highway from St. John’s; 57 from Carbonear. 2 sawmills. 25 radios. PT.

 

            WITLESS BAY.  Pop. 649. An ancient fishing settlement on the Southern Shore. First settled probably very early in the 17th century, or even late in the 16th. In 1677 it had 3 dwellings, 3 planters, 3 ives, 2 sons, 2 daughters, 19 fishery servants, 6 boats, 52 hogs, and produced 510 quintals of fish. 23 m. by highway from St. John’s. 1 sawmill. Birthplace of P.J. O’Neill, M.B.E., Chief of Police. 21 radios. POMO.

 

            WOOD’S ISLAND HARBOUR.  Pop. 210. The harbour and principal settlement of Wood’s Island, B. of Islands, which was formerly very important as the centre of a large herring-buying trade conducted by American vessels. Customs. 7 radios. POMO.

 

            WOODSTOCK.  Pop. 154. Lumbering settlement within Pacquet Hr., on the promontory separating White B. from Green B. 1 sawmill. PO.

 

            WOODVILLE.  Pop. 34. Lobstering-farming settlement at the mouth of Grand River, just south of C. Anguille.

 

            WOODY COVE.  Pop. 52. Fishing settlement on the St. Barbe coast, between Rocky Hr. and Martin’s Pt.

 

            WOODY ISLAND.  Pop. 290. Fishing settlement at the N.W. head of Placentia B., between Merasheen Island and the west side of the Bay, S. of Sound Island. 1 sawmill. 86 m. from Argentia. Home. 1 radio.

 

            WOODY POINT.  Pop. 196. One of the settlements in Bonne B. (q.v.)

 

            WRECK COVE.  Pop. 106. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the N.E. side of Great B. de L’Eau, which itself lies between Fortune and Hermitage Bays.

Y

            YORK HARBOUR.  Pop. 73. Fishing-logging settlement in Humber Arm of Bay of Islands. Here a copper mine formerly operated.

 

 

                                                                            -0-

 

 

Recent Updates Contact Us


Search through the whole site
Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!
www.downhomer.com
by Downhomer.com
JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2016)