Share/Save/Bookmark

Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

How to report a possible transcription error

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

For Communities starting with: A - F
For Communities starting with: P - Y
 

 

TOWNS, VILLAGES AND SETTLEMENTS
G-P

G

 

††††††††††† GAFF TOPSAILS.† See Topsails.

 

††††††††††† GAMBO.† Pop. 322. A logging settlement at the head of Bonavista B., on the main railway. Here at Mint Brook, about 1863, David Smallwood built the first sawmill in Bonavista B. destroyed by fire, this was replaced by the first steam-driven sawmill in the country. Most of the seal hunters of the north side of Bonavista B. join the special sealersí train to St. Johnís, after walking to here from their various settlements. 190 m. by rail from St. Johnís. 7 sawmills. 45 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GANDER BAY.† Situated west of the Straight Shore, east of Lewisporte Bay, this is the bay into which the Gander River empties. Within lies Clarkeís head, Southside and a few other settlements. Lumbering and farming-fishing the principal occupations. Formerly a great salmon-catching centre. 272 m. from St. Johnís. Sagona. 3 sawmills. 9 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GARDEN COVE.† Pop. 32. Fishing settlement near North Hr. at the N.W. head of St. Maryís Bay.

 

††††††††††† GARGAMELLE.† Pop. 53. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, just south and inside of Point Riche.

 

††††††††††† GARNISH.† Pop. 797. Important fishing-lobstering-lumbering settlement on the western side of the Burin peninsula. 19 m. north of Grand Bank. 148 m. from Argentia; 375 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. 4 sawmills. Nursing Cent. 22 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GAULTOIS.† Pop. 222. Fishing settlement on the S.E. corner of Long I. In Hermitage B., about half-way up the north side. 319 m. from Argentia. Burgeo, Bacalieu. Nursing Cent. Customs. 21 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GASKIERS.† Pop. 204. Fishing settlement in St. Maryís B., between Point LaHaye and St. Vincentís. 1 radio. PO.

 

††††††††††† GEORGEíS BROOK.† Pop. 170. Farming-lumbering-fishing settlement near Shoal Hr., on the north side of Trinity B. 3 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† GEORGEíS COVE.† Pop. 83. Labrador fishing settlement, between Fishing Ships Hr. and Snug Hr. 696 m. from St. Johnís. Kyle.

 

††††††††††† GEORGEíS COVE.† Pop. 25. Lumbering settlement on the north side of White B., almost up to the bottom.

 

††††††††††† GEORGEíS LAKE.† Pop. 26. Lumbering settlement on the main railway near Spruce Brook, St. Georgeís district.

 

††††††††††† GEORGETOWN.† Pop. 222. A farming section near Curling in B. of Islands.

 

††††††††††† GEORGETOWN.† Pop. 187. Farming settlement just off the Conception B. highway, between Brigus Barrens and Brigus. 4 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† GILESPORT.† Pop. 332. Fishing settlement near Twillingate. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† GILLAMíS.† Pop. 142. Fishing-farming settlement on Humber Arm. B. of Islands. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† GILLARDíS COVE.† Pop. 98. Fishing settlement on the western side of South Twillingate Island, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† GIN COVE.† Pop. 45. Fishing-farming settlement on the north side of Smithís Sound, Random, Trinity B. North, near Monroe. 2 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† GLENBURNIE.† Pop. 102. Fishing-lobstering settlement within Bonne B. 2 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† GLENWOOD.† Pop. 126. Situated on the main railway, this is mainly a furring and sporting settlement. Sportsmen go down the Gander River from here. There is an attractive hostelry. 230 m. by rail from St. Johnís. 4 sawmills. 12 radios. R. Tel.

 

††††††††††† GLOVERíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 29. Fishing settlement about half-way between Leading Tickles West and the Bottom of Seal B., N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† GLOVERTOWN.† Pop. 656. An important fishing-logging settlement at the head of Middle Arm, Alexander B. 4 m. from the main railway at Alexander B. Station. 3 sawmills. Customs. 12 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GOBLIN.† Pop. 29. Fishing settlement on the east side of North B. of B. DíEspoir.

 

††††††††††† GOOBIEíS SIDING.† Pop. 29. Important for the fact that from here starts the ne highway to Fortune B. and the Burin peninsula. 110 m. by rail from St. Johnís, at the head of Trinity B., on the Isthmus of Avalon. 3 sawmills. PO.

 

††††††††††† GOOSE ARM.† Pop. 61. One of the arms of Bay of Islands. Lumbering-fishing.

††††††††††† GOOSE COVE.† Pop. 88. Fishing settlement between Trinity and Dunfield, Trinity B. North. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† GOOSE COVE.† Pop. 164. Fishing settlement on the north side of Hare B., inside Goose Cape, south of St. Anthony. In 1764 2 Poole ships fished here with 115 men and 17 boats. 1 sawmill. 2 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† GOOSEBERRY COVE.† Pop. 187. Fishing settlement on Random Is., south of Southport, Trinity B. North. POMO.

 

††††††††††† GOOSEBERRY ISLAND.† Pop. 238. Fishing settlement off the north side of Bonavista B., about 2 m. E.N.E. of St. Brendanís Island. 3 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† GOULDS.† Pop. 375. Farming settlement on the Southern Shore highway. 8 m. by highway from St. Johnís, about 2 from petty Harbour. 13 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† GOULDS ROAD.† Pop. 96. Farming section near Brigus, Conception B. 13 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† GRADY. †Pop. 11. Labrador fishing settlement south of Cartwright. 626 m. from St. Johnís. Kyle. Wireless telegraph in summer.

 

††††††††††† GRANBY ISLAND.† Pop. 39. Fishing settlement on the south side of White Bay, about one-fourth the distance from the bottom of the bay.

 

††††††††††† GRAND BAY, EAST & WEST.† Pop. 223. Fishing-lobstering settlement a few miles north-west of Port aux Basques.

 

††††††††††† GRAND BANK.† Pop. 2,209. Largest and most important bank-fishing settlement in Newfoundland. Situated on the west side of the Burin peninsula. A progressive and picturesque settlement. Bank of Nova Scotia. 129 m. from Argentia, 5 from Fortune, 394 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo, Bacalieu. Cottage Hosp. Customs. Post. Sav. Bank. 155 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GRAND BRUIT.† Pop. 248. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the S.W. Coast, 30 m. west of Burgeo, 10 east of LaPoile, 478 from Argentia, 45 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. Nursing Cent. 8 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GRAND BEACH.† Pop. 173. Fishing settlement on the est side of the Burin peninsula, about half-way between Grand Bank and Garnish. 1 sawmill. PO.

 

††††††††††† GRAND FALLS.† Pop. 4,244. Newfoundlandís third largest settlement and third industrial town in order of establishment. Headquarters for Anglo-Newfoundland development Co., organized by late Lord Northcliffe to manufacture newsprint paper for the Daily Mail and his other newspapers. Construction began in 1907, and the mill commenced operations in 1909. Considerable modernization of mill and town has lately been carried out. This is the one town in Newfoundland which has enjoyed uninterrupted prosperity since 1921. As with Corner Brook, the new paper town, the population has been drawn from all parts of the island. Motion picture theatre. Skating-hockey rink. Company Hospital. Fine public and denominational schools, and one of the countryís finest athletic grounds. Bank of Montreal (sub-agency at Buchans). The town itself is situated below the Grand Falls of the Exploits River, which itself empties into Bay of Exploits, N.D.B. Windsor (formerly Grand Falls Station) lies 1 m. distant, is mainly supported by the mill, and has 1,447 inhabitants. Dr. J. Burke, MHO. 4 sawmills. 276 m. by rail from St. Johnís, 298 from Port aux Basques. Post. Sav. Bank. Customs. 670 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GRAND LePIERRE.† Pop. 74. Fishing settlement at the N.E. head of Fortune Bay, a few miles west of Terrenceville.

 

††††††††††† GRANDOIS.† Pop. 43. An ancient and picturesque fishing settlement on the French Shore, close to St. Julienís, which is 510 m. fro St. Johnís and a port of call for the Northern Ranger.

 

††††††††††† GRATES COVE.† Pop. 689. An important inshore fishing settlement on the northern coast of the B. de Verde peninsula which separates Conception and Trinity B. First founded probably 1790, by three families from Lower island Cove and one from Old Perlican, though undoubtedly it was frequented by fishermen long before this. 113 m. by highway from St. Johnís. 37 from Carbonear. 22 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GREAT BARRISWAY.† Pop. 37. Fishing settlement on the eastern side of Placentia B., about ten miles south of Placentia. Alternate name: Big Barachois.

 

††††††††††† GREAT BONA.† Pop. 33. A fishing settlement on the west side of Placentia B., notable for the fact that is it named in the popular ballade, ďThe Ryans and the Pittmans.Ē

 

††††††††††† GREAT BRAHA.† Pop. 115. Fishing settlement between St. Anthony and Griquet, on the French Shore. PO.

 

††††††††††† GREAT BURIN.† See Burin. 3 radios.

 

††††††††††† GREAT CODROY.† Pop. 135. Fishing=lobstering settlement at the mouth of the Great Codroy River, south of Cape Anguille. PO.

 

††††††††††† GREAT HARBOUR.† Pop. 141. Fishing-lobstering settlement at the south east corner of Connaigre B., which lies between hermitage and Little Bays. LT.

 

††††††††††† GREAT JERVAIS.† POp. 74. Fishing settlement on the south-east entrance to B. díEspoir, on the east coast of Long Island, inside of Pushthrough. About 370 m. from Argentia, 153 from Port aux Basques.

 

††††††††††† †GREAT PARADISE.† Pop. 153. Fishing settlement in the Sound of the same name, west side of Placentia B. 41 m. from Argentia. Home.

 

††††††††††† GREEN ISLAND BROOK.† Pop. 90. Fishing settlement on the Newfoundland side of the Straits of Belle Isle, north of Flowerís Cove.

 

††††††††††† GREEN ISLAND COVE.† Pop. 104. Fishing settlement on the Newfoundland side of the Straits of Belle Isle, a few m. north of Flowerís Cove. 4 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† GREENíS COVE.† Pop. 38. Fishing settlement near N.E. end of New World Island, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† GREENíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 600. Lumbering-farming settlement on the south side of Trinity B., between Hopeall and Whiteway. 22 m. by road from Heartís Content, 18 from Whitbourne, 90 from St. Johnís. 7 sawmills. 30 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GREENíS ISLAND.† Pop. 56. Fishing settlement lying beside Deer Is. 9 m. S.S.W. of Greenspond.

 

††††††††††† GREENSPOND.† Pop. 993. An old Labrador and inshore fishing settlement on the north side of Bonavista B. First settled about 1695, though undoubtedly it was frequented by English fishing vessels long before that. In 1705 it had 3 houses and families. Greenspond was an important seal hunting centre in the early 18th century. In 1770, Greenspond, Fogo, Bonavista and Trinity were the principal sealing centres of the Island. After 1800 Conception B. and St. Johnís took the lead, though as late as 1851 Greenspond had 23 vessels carrying on the hunt. The port has produced many of the greatest of Newfoundlandís seal hunters and captains, and many of her greatest Labrador fishermen and captains. There is or was here a headstone with this epitaph to one of the Blandfords, a blacksmith:

 

ďMy anvil and my hammer are declining,

My bellows, too, has lost its wind;

My fire extinct, my forge decayed,

And in the dust my voice is laid;

My coal is spent, my iron is gone,

My last nail driven, and my work done.Ē

 

178 m. from St. Johnís. Sagona. Dr. C.D. Kean, MHO. Post. Sav. Bank. Customs. 24 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GREY ISLANDS.† (See Groais Islands).

 

††††††††††† GREY RIVER.† Pop. 131. Lumbering-fishing settlement on the S.W. Coast between Ramea and Cape LaHune. The Grey (or Little) River empties itself into the sea here. Famous for its salmon fishing and magnificent scenery.

 

††††††††††† GRIQUET. Pop. 322. Well-known fishing settlement on the French Shore, a few miles south of Cape Bauld on the north east coast of the St. Barbe peninsula. In 1764 2 Poole ships fished here with 64 men and 10 boats. 547 m. from St. Johnís. Northern Ranger. 3 sawmills. 9 radios. PT.

††††††††††† GROAIS ISLANDS.† Pop. 164. (Sometimes spelled Grey). Situated off the north east coast of the St. Barbe peninsula, roughly between Canada and Hare Bays. This is well known as a fishing settlement and as a landmark in connection with the seal hunt. 476 m. from St. Johnís. Northern Ranger. 2 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† GROLE.† Pop. 139. Fishing-lobstering settlement near the south-east entrance to Hermitage B., inside of Pass Island. PO.

 

††††††††††† GULCH.† Pop. 88. Fishing settlement in St. Maryís Bay. PO.

 

††††††††††† GULLIES.† Pop. 47. Section of Hr. Grace, q.v.

 

††††††††††† GULL ISLAND.† Pop. 318. Fishing settlement on the north shore of Conception B., between Northern B. and Jobís Cove.

H

††††††††††† HALFWAY POINT.† Pop. 105. Fishing-lumbering settlement in B. of Islands. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† HALLíS TOWN.† Pop. 302. Farming section of Conception B., inland 3 m. from Clarkeís beach, inside of North River.

 

††††††††††† HAMPDEN.† Pop. 135. Old name: Riverhead. Logging settlement at the head of White Bay. 360 m. from St. Johnís. Northern Ranger. 1 sawmill. 8 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† HANNAHíS COVE.† Pop. 34. Lumbering settlement on the north side of White B., nearly up to the bottom.

 

††††††††††† HANTíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 656. An ancient fishing settlement on the south side of Trinity B. First settled probably after 1680. There were four dwellings in 1697, which the French under DíIberville destroyed. In 1847 it had 10 sailing vessels with 271 men engaged in the seal hunt. 122 m. by highway from St. Johnís, 40 from Carbonear. 4 sawmills. 13 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HAPPY ADVENTURE.† Pop. 279. Lumbering-fishing settlement in the central part of Bonavista Bay, close to Eastport. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† HARBOUR BRETON.† Pop. 689. An important fishing-lobstering settlement situated on the S.W. coast between Fortune and Hermitage Bays. 285 m. from Argentia, 238 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo, Bacalieu. Cottage Hosp. Dr. J.G. Paton, MHO. Customs. 25 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HARBOUR BUFFETT.† Pop. 445. Fishing settlement on Long Island, near the head of Placentia B. 43 m. from Argentia. Home, Bacalieu. Nursing Cent. Customs. 29 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HARBOUR DEEP (See Big and Little Harbour Deep).

 

††††††††††† HARBOUR GALLETT.† Pop. 32. Fishing settlement on the north side of Long Island, which separates Hermitage B. from B. DíEspoir.

 

††††††††††† HARBOUR GRACE.† Pop. 2,992 (with Southside and Riverhead). Long called the ďSecond City,Ē and ďthe Capital of Conception Bay,Ē this is one of the most ancient of all Newfoundland settlements. First settled probably about 1550, or even earlier. Peter Easton, the famous pirate, had his headquarters here in 1621. When the place was destroyed by DíIberville† in 1697 it had 14 houses. In 1705 the French inflicted damage to the extend of £38,000. In 1762 again the town was captured by the French. In 1778 the population (part resident, part transient) was 5,768. Amongst the many facts for which the place is famous is that it was here, in 1765, that Wesleyanism was introduced into Newfoundland, and indeed in the New World, by the Rev. Lawrence Coughlan, an Irishman. Mr. Coughlan, an Anglican clergyman, was a follower of John Wesley. Rev. Lewis Amadeus Anspach, one of our earliest historians, lived here after 1802. Written here in 16__, by Robert Hayman, was ďQuodlibets,Ē one of the earliest books in English written in the New World. The port was long a very important mercantile headquarters, and fishing and sealing centre with a fleet of seal hunting vessels that reached considerable proportions. Here as born the famous medical scientist and pioneer Sir Thomas Roddick. Here was born also James Hippisley, scenarist of the motion picture, ďThe House of Rothschild.Ē In 1677 Harbour Grace had 7 dwellings, 10 planters, 2 wives, 7 sons, 5 daughters, 35 fishery servants, 11 boats, 38 cattle, 27 hogs, 9 gardens. The ton is now chiefly a centre from which men go north to Labrador as stationer fishermen, and in which farming is carried on. In the period of the pioneer trans-Atlantic flights a runway was built, and many planes made their crossing of the Atlantic from it. Has a fine Roman Catholic Cathedral, and a marine repair dock. The Bishop of Harbour Grace Roman Catholic Diocese, which embraces the entire north east coast, has his Palace here. Birthplace of Right Hon. Sir Richard Anderson Squires, thrice Prime Minister. 73 m. by rail from St. Johnís, 68 by highway. 2 sawmills. Dr. G.A. Strapp, MHO. Bank of Nova Scotia. Post. Sav. Bank. Customs. 249 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HARBOUR LE COU.† Pop. 222. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the S.W. Coast, on the mainland inside of Rose Blanche. 503 m. from Argentia, 20 from Port aux Basques.

 

††††††††††† HARBOUR MAIN.† Pop. 615. Farming-fishing in that district of Conception Bay which bears its name. 36 m. by highway from St. Johnís. 38 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HARBOUR MILLE.† Pop. 333. Fishing-lobstering-herring settlement north of Bay LíArgent, well towards the N.E. head of Fortune B. 185 m. from Argentia. Herring packing and lobstering are important. Burgeo. 1 sawmill. 3 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† HARBOUR ROUND.† Pop. 86. Fishing settlement on the promontory separating White and Green Bays, N. of LaScie.

 

††††††††††† HARCOURT.† Pop. 67. Lumbering-fishing settlement on the north side of Smithís Sound, Random, Trinity B. North. 5 sawmills. 6 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† HARE BAY.† Pop. 346. Logging settlement on the north side of Bonavista B. near mouth of Freshwater B. 2 sawmills. 13 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† HARE BAY.† Pop. 127. Fishing settlement on Fogo Island, close to Fogo.

 

††††††††††† HARE HARBOUR.† Pop. 50. Fishing-lumbering settlement on the S.W. Coast, between B. díEspoir and Rencontre B.

 

††††††††††† HARRYíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 199. Fishing settlement on the north shore of Green B., north of Western Arm. 150 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 3 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† HATCHET COVE.† Pop. 96. Fishing-lumbering settlement in the S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 2 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† HAWKEíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 11. Well-known Labrador fishing settlement frequented each summer by Newfoundland fishermen. 540 m. from St. Johnís. Kyle. Wireless telegraph in summer.

 

††††††††††† HAYSTACK.† Pop. 115. Fishing settlement on the eastern shore of Long Island, toward the head of Placentia B. Nurs. Cent. 2 radios. 52 m. from Argentia. Home. 1 radio. POMO.

 

††††††††††† HAYWARDíS COVE.† Pop. 83. Fishing settlement on the eastern side of St. Brendanís Island, Bonavista B.

 

††††††††††† HEAD BAY DíESPOIR.† Pop. 269. Lumbering settlement at the head of Bay díEspoir. 4 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† HEARTíS CONTENT.† Pop. 918. Second largest settlement in Trinity B. and one of the oldest. First settled probably about 1650. In 1697 it had 4 dwellings, which DíIbervilleís men destroyed after 30 men, women and children inhabitants failed in an heroic defence of a hastily-improvised barricade made of boards. In 1866, July 27, the ďGreat EasternĒ landed here the first successful transatlantic submarine cable, since which the settlement has been an important cable centre. Here in 1862, Feb. 14, Rev. George Gardner founded the Heartís Content Fishermenís Society, which in 1872 developed into the Society of United Fishermen, an important fraternal society with branches throughout the country, and a few in Eastern Canada. 85 m. by highway from St. Johnís. Dr. E.J. Short, MHO. Post Sav. Bank. 91 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HEARTíS DELIGHT.† Pop. 595. Fishing-farming settlement in Trinity Bay S., between Heartís Content and Heartís Desire. 10 m. by highway from Heartís Content, 30 from Whitbourne, 101 from St. Johnís. Nurs. Cent. 5 sawmills. 16 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HEARTíS DESIRE.† Pop. 191. Fishing-farming settlement in Trinity Bay S., between Heartís Desire (N.) and Cavendish (S.). 7 m. by highway from Heartís Content, 33 from Whitbourne, 104 from St. Johnís. 1 sawmill. 1 radio. PO.

 

††††††††††† HEATHERTON.† Pop. 129. Farming settlement about 3 m. north of Robinsonís Station, St. Georgeís 7 radios. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† HEBRON.† Pop. 134. Labrador fishing-furring settlement almost down the coast to Cape Chidley. 677 m. from St. Johnís. H.B. Co. post. Private wireless. 4 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† HENLEY HARBOUR.† Pop. 57. Labrador fishing settlement at the N.E. entrance to Straits of Belle Isle. 677 m. from St. Johnís, 297 from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. 1 radio. PO.

 

††††††††††† HERMITAGE.† Pop. 57. Fishing-lobstering settlement about half way between the entrance and head of Hermitage B. on its south side. 316 m. from Argentia, 207 from Port aux Basques. Government cold storage bait freezer. 2 sawmills. 9 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HERRING NECK.† Pop. A fishing settlement with beautiful scenery, notable for being the birthplace of the Fishermenís Protective Union. It lies on the eastern end of Twillingate Island, N.D.B. Here in Nov., 1908, the late Sir (then Mr.) William Ford Coaker in the L.O.A.. Hall formed the first local branch of the Union, which within a few years overspread the north-east coast and became a very powerful factor in the social, economic and political life of the country. A fine large mercantile establishment is operated here. Embraces several settlements. 354 m. from St. Johnís, 114 from Lewisporte. Clyde. 3 sawmills. 19 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HIBBSí COVE.† Pop. 74. (See Port de Grave).

 

††††††††††† HICKMANíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 382. Lumbering-fishing settlement on the southern side of Random Island, Random Sound, Trinity B. N. Herring and caplin smoked here. 15 sawmills. 13 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HIGH BEACH.† Pop. 43. Fishing settlement near Lamaline, on the promontory of the Burin peninsula.

 

††††††††††† HIGHLANDS.† Pop. 100. Well known farming section of St. Georgeís District, west Coast. On the coast outside of St. Fintanís. PO.

 

††††††††††† HILLGRADE.† Pop. 29. (Old Name: Fridayís Bay). Fishing-herring settlement in Fridayís Bay, north side of New World Island, S. of Twillingate, N.D.B. 3 sawmills. 1 radio. POMO.

 

††††††††††† HILLVIEW.† Pop. 219. Fishing settlement at the head of S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 3 sawmills. 2 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HODGEíS COVE.† Pop. 257. Fishing-lumbering settlement about half way in the S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 3 sawmills. 2 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† HODGEWATER.† Pop. 110. Farming settlement on the Hodgewater Line S a highway leading from Clarkeís beach to Whitbourne.

 

††††††††††† HOLYROOD.† Pop. 789. Situated at the head of Conception Bay, and notable as a port to which yearly American and Canadian banking vessels come numerously and frequently to buy squid bait. Has a cold storage bait freezer, privately owned. It was here in 1939 that their Majesties the King and Queen landed on the occasion of their visit to Newfoundland. 30 m. by highway and rail from St. Johnís. 1 sawmill. Ry. T. Customs. 41 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† HOOP COVE.† Pop. 26. Fishing settlement between Long Hr. and Mall B., at the central head of Fortune Bay.

 

††††††††††† HOOPING HARBOUR.† Pop. 148. A fishing settlement lying at the base of a 1000-foot hill on the French Shore, notable for the grandeur of its scenery. First settled about 1890. 445 m. from St. Johnís. Northern Ranger. 1 sawmill. 1 radio. PO.

 

††††††††††† HOPEALL.† Pop. 169. Fishing settlement on the south side of Trinity Bay, between Greenís Hr. and Dildo. 24 m. from Heartís Content, 16 from Whitbourne, 87 from St. Johnís. 2 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† HOPEDALE.† Pop. 155. Labrador fishing-furring settlement. Northern terminus for the Kyle. 952 m. from St. Johnís. H.B. Co. post. 6 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HORSE CHOPS.† Pop. 6. Bold headland just north of Trinity, north side of Trinity Bay.

 

††††††††††† HORSE ISLANDS.† (See St. Barbe Islands).

 

††††††††††† HORWOOD.† Pop. 145. Lumbering settlement near the head of Dog B., which itself lies immediately west of Gander B. 291 m. from St. Johnís. Sagona. 1 sawmill. 11 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† HOUSE COVE.† Pop. 31. Fishing settlement between Little Heartís Ease and Hodgeís C., on the south side of Random, S.W. Arm, Trinity B. North.

 

††††††††††† HOWLEY.† Pop. 479. Situated at the head of Grand Lake, on the main railway. This is one of the settlements which have sprung up as a result of the newsprint mill development at Corner Brook. Pulpwood cutting centre. 500 loggers employed. 356 m. by rail from St. Johnís, 191 from Port aux Basques. 71 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† HUMBERMOUTH.† Pop. 1,248. An important railroad town at the mouth of the Humber River, which flows into B. of Islands. The first railway divisional headquarters east of Pot aux Basques. Western terminus of the Northern Ranger. Most of the male population are employed in or in connection with the Corner Brook paper mill, a mile away. 974 m. from St. Johnís, 144 by rail from Port aux Basques. Northern Ranger. 2 sawmills. LT. POMO.

††††††††††† HUNTíS ISLAND.† Pop. 178. Fishing-lobstering settlement on Burgeo Islands, S.W. Coast.

I

††††††††††† INDEPENDENT.† Pop. 29. Fishing settlement lying off Sandwich Bay, Labrador.

 

††††††††††† INDIAN BAY.† Important logging-lumbering settlement, 15 m. up Bonavista Bay from Greenspond. 450 loggers employed by Bowater Co., of Corner Brook, cutting pulpwood for export to Great Britain. 165 m. from St. Johnís. Sagona. 7 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† INDIAN BURYING PLACE.† Pop. 39. An old fishing settlement on the north side of Green B. First founded probably about 1720. A resort of the Beothuck Indians, who resented the appearance of the first white settler and for the first year or two attempted by a policy of continual arrow-shooting to drive him away. About 191 m. from Lewisporte.

 

††††††††††† INDIAN COVE.† Pop. 52. Fishing settlement on central part of the west side of New World Island, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† INDIAN COVE.† Pop. 35. Labrador fishing settlement between Battle Hr. and White Bear Arm.

 

††††††††††† INDIAN ISLANDS.† Pop. __.† Fishing settlement (islands) on the S. side of Fogo Island. Well known Labrador fishing vessel centre. Founded by Wm. Cull. Principally settled about 1850-60 by people who removed here from Hr. Grace, Western B., etc., in Conception B. 309 m. from St. Johnís. Sagona. 5 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† INDIAN POND.† Pop. 91. Farming-fishing settlement at the head of Conception B. 5 m. north of Kelligrews.

 

††††††††††† INDIAN TICKLE.† Pop. 27. Labrador fishing settlement south of Grady. 595 m. from St. Johnís. Kyle.

 

††††††††††† INDIAN TICKLE.† Pop. 27. Fishing settlement a few miles north of Domino and Spotted Islands, Labrador.

 

††††††††††† INNISMARA.† Pop. 183. Fishing settlement on Woodís Island, at the entrance of Humber Arm, Bay of Islands. ___ m. from Corner Brook.

 

††††††††††† IONA.† Pop. 67. Fishing settlement lying off the coast in the north-east part of Placentia B. 12 m. from Argentia. Home. PO.

 

††††††††††† IRELAND BIGHT.† Pop. 44. Fishing settlement on the north side of Hare Bay, French Shore.

 

††††††††††† IRELANDíS EYE.† Pop. 147. Inshore and Labrador fishing settlement on the north side of Trinity B., a little south of British Harbour and Trinity. 3 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† IRISHTOWN.† Pop. 122. Farming-logging settlement on the north shore of Humber Arm, B. of Islands, near its head, about opposite Corner Brook.

 

††††††††††† ISLAND COVE.† Pop. 96. Fishing settlement near Horwood, in Dog B., Fogo District.

 

††††††††††† ISLAND COVE.† Pop. 39. Settlement just west of Hodgeís C. on south side of Random, S.W. Arm, Trinity B. North.

 

††††††††††† ISLAND COVE.† Pop. 50. Fishing settlement on the north side of Cape Broyle Bay, on the Southern Shore.

 

††††††††††† ISLAND HARBOUR.† Pop. 207. Fishing settlement on the S.W. side of Fogo Island, facing Change Islands. PO.

 

††††††††††† ISLE AU MORTS.† Pop. 430. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the mainland, and an island of the same name, on S. Coast, 6 m. from Port aux Basques. Here in 1832 was performed the epic rescue of 163 souls in a shipwreck by George Harvey and his daughter Ann. Burgeo. 2 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† ISLE VALEN.† Pop. 161. Fishing-farming settlement on the west side of Placentia B., inside of Merasheen Island. 121 m. from Argentia. Home. 2 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† ISLINGTON.† Pop. 203. Fishing-farming settlement on the south side of Trinity B., between Heartís Delight and Cavendish. 17 m. by road from Heartís Content, 23 from Whitbourne, 88 from St. Johnís. 1 sawmill. LT.

 

††††††††††† IVANHOE.† Pop. 97. Fishing settlement near Irelandís Eye, at the N. E. corner of Random Island, Trinity B. North. 2 sawmills. LT.

J

††††††††††† JACKSONíS ARM.† Pop. 319. Lumbering-fishing settlement about half way up the north side of White B. 380 m. from St. Johnís. Northern Ranger. 1 sawmill. Nurs. Cent. 13 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† JACKSONíS COVE.† Pop. 114. Fishing settlement on the headland at the south entrance to Green B. 154 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 3 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† JACQUES FONTAINE.† Pop. 125. Fishing settlement on the western side of the Burin peninsula, just south of Bay LíArgent, and close to the north-east head of Fortune B. LT.

 

††††††††††† JAMESTOWN.† Pop. 143. A farming settlement in Goose Bay, on the south side of Bonavista B., notable chiefly for the fact that it is populated largely by Newfoundlanders who returned, since the depression began, from the U.S.A., where they had lived 30 to 40 years. ___ m. by road from Brooklyn, which itself is 19 m. by rail from Clarenville and 150 from St. Johnís. 5 sawmills. 9 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† JEAN DE BAY.† Pop. 109. Fishing settlement on the west side of Placentia B., inside of Merasheen I.

 

††††††††††† JEFFREYíS.† Pop. 173. Farming settlement on the main railway between St. Fintanís and McKayís. 5 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† JENKINíS COVE.† (See Twillingate).

 

††††††††††† JERRYíS NOSE.† Pop. 52. Fishing settlement on the southern coast of Port au Port peninsula, on the north side of B. St. George.

 

††††††††††† JERSEY HARBOUR.† Pop. 183. Fishing settlement on the east side of Harbour Breton B., between Fortune and Hermitage Bays. 283 m. from Argentia, 240 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. 10 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† JERSEYSIDE.† Pop. 161. An ancient settlement which lies across the Gut from Placentia, Placentia B. 1 sawmill. R. Tel.

 

††††††††††† JIMíS COVE.† Pop. 66. (Green Bay) Fishing settlement.

 

††††††††††† JOBíS COVE.† Pop. 326. An old fishing settlement on the north shore of Conception B. The original name was Devilís Cove, but in 1812 the inhabitants published their proclamation renaming it. 22 m. by highway from Carbonear, 96 from St. Johnís.

 

††††††††††† JOE BATTíS ARM.† Pop. 929. A very picturesque fishing settlement on Fogo Island. An artistís or photographerís delight. 334 m. from St. Johnís. Government cold storage bait freezer. Sagona. Nursing Cent. 12 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† JOURNOIS.† Pop. 118. Fishing settlement at the mouth of Journois Brook, on the south side of B. St. George.

 

††††††††††† JUNCTION BROOK.† Pop. 36. Logging settlement on the main railway, at the connecting link between Deer Lake and Grand Lake, in Humber District.

 

††††††††††† JUNIPER STUMP.† Pop. 115. Farming section near Clarkeís Beach, Conception Bay.

K

††††††††††† KEELS.† Pop. 372. An historic fishing settlement lying 28 m. by road above Bonavista, in Bonavista B. 5 m. above Kingís Cove. An old Newfoundland tradition says that after first sighting land (Cape Bonavista) John Cabot in 1497 sent his boats ashore here for water, thereby giving rise to its name, Keels referring to the keels of the boats. The same tradition says that after leaving Keels Cabot sailed to Kingís Cove, landed and raised the Kingís flag. 120 m. from St. Johnís, 5 by road from Kingís Cove. 3 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† KELLIGREWS.† Pop. 346. Prosperous farming settlement and summer resort at the head of Conception B., 19 m. by highway from St. Johnís. 1 sawmill. 50 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† KEARLEYíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 90. Fishing settlement on the north side of Trinity B., between Bonaventure and British Harbour. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† KETTLE COVE.† Pop. 40. Fishing settlement on Twillingate Island, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† KILBRIDE.† Pop. 438. One of the most important agricultural sections in Newfoundland. Situated immediately outside St. Johnís to the west.

 

††††††††††† KINGíS COVE.† Pop. 345. An old historic fishing settlement on the south side of Bonavista B., above Bonavista. According to an ancient tradition it was here, after first sighting land in the Ne World at Cape Bonavista, and sending his boats ashore for water at Keels, that John Cabot, in 1497, landed and raised the Kingís flag. This settlement has often been called the ďAthens of the North,Ē for the number of professional and other successful men it has produced. Birthplace of K.M. Brown, president of F.P.U., Gerald S. Doyle, P.K. Devine, John M. Devine, M.E. Martin. 116 m. from St. Johnís, 25 by road from Bonavista, and 12 from Trinity. Sagona. Dr. Eric G. Wermuth, MHO. Nurs. Cent. 1 sawmill. 17 radios. Post. Sav. Bank. PT.

 

††††††††††† KINGíS COVE.† Pop. 63. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, in Hawkeís B., between Port Saunders and Spirity Cove.

 

††††††††††† KINGíS COVE.† Pop. 43. Fishing settlement at the N.E. entrance to Green Bay, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† KINGíS POINT.† Pop. 285. Fishing-farming-lumbering settlement at the head of S.W. Arm of Green B. 165 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 3 sawmills. 10 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† KINGSTON.† Pop. 129. Fishing-farming settlement on the north shore of Conception B. 9 m. by highway from Carbonear. 3 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† KINGWELL. †Pop. 243. Fishing-lobstering-herring settlement on the west side of Placentia B. on Long Island. 33 m. from Argentia. Home. 7 sawmills. 4 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† KIPOLAK.† Pop. 41. Furring settlement just north of Makkovik, Labrador.

 

††††††††††† KITCHUSES.† Pop. 169. Fishing-farming settlement on the north side of Conception Hr. of which it is an extension, Conception B. PO.

 

††††††††††† KIPPENS.† Pop. 67. A section of Stephenville, West Coast, q.v.

 

††††††††††† KNIGHTíS COVE. Pop. 165. Fishing settlement on the south side of Bonavista B., 19 m. by road from Bonavista, near Kingís Cove.

L

††††††††††† LADLE COVE.† Pop. 239. Fishing settlement on the Straight Shore, a little north of Musgrave Hr. 241 m. from St. Johnís. Sagona. 6 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LADY COVE.† Pop. 120. Lumbering-farming-fishing settlement on the southern shore of Random Island, in S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 4 sawmills. 11 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LAKE SIDING.† Pop. 47. Logging-farming settlement on main railway, near Deer Lake.

 

††††††††††† LAKE VIEW.† Pop. 154. Farming settlement beside Chapelís Cove, Conception Bay.

 

††††††††††† LALLY COVE.† Pop. 89. Lobstering settlement at the north-west head of Fortune B. 3 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† LAMALINE.† Pop. 480. Fishing settlement at the promontory of the Burin peninsula. 164 m. from Argentia. Home. Nursing Centre. Customs. 26 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† LA MANCHE.† Pop. 53. Fishing settlement on the Southern Shore, between Torís Cove and Cape Broyle. 32 m. by highway from St. Johnís.

 

††††††††††† LA MANCHE.† Pop. 23. Fishing settlement at the N.E. head of Placentia Bay. Notable chiefly for the fact that inland from it lie a string of beautiful lakes which have been likened to the Lakes of Killarney, and deposits of lead which are reputedly of great extent.

 

††††††††††† LANCASTER.† Pop. 74. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the Bonavista peninsula, outside Cape Bonavista. Nearby is the ďDungeon,Ē one of the natural wonders of Newfoundland.

††††††††††† LANCE COVE.† Pop. 512. Fishing settlement on the western end of Bell Island.

 

††††††††††† LANCE COVE.† Pop. 32. Farming-fishing settlement between Upper Gullies and Seal Cove, Conception B.

 

††††††††††† LANGDONíS COVE.† Pop. 30. Fishing settlement near the N.E. entrance to Green B., N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† LíANSE AMOUR.† Pop. 45. Labrador fishing settlement in Straits of Belle Isle, north of Forteau. 3 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† LíANSE AU CLAIR.† Pop. 100. Labrador fishing settlement in the Strait of Belle Isle. Most southerly settlement in Newfoundland-Labrador. South of Forteau. PO.

 

††††††††††† LíANSE AU DIABLE.† Pop. 42. Labrador fishing settlement in Straits of Belle Isle, between LíAnse au Clair and LíAnse au Loup, q.v.

 

††††††††††† LíANSE AU LOUP.† Pop. 162. Fishing settlement on the Labrador side of the Straits of Belle Isle. 732 m. from St. Johnís, 242 from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. PO.

 

††††††††††† LíANSE AU MEADOW.† Pop. 26. Fishing settlement in extreme Northern Newfoundland, just south of, but close to, Cape Onion.

 

††††††††††† LíANSE AU PIGEON.† Pop. 37. Fishing settlement between Quirpon and Cape Bauld, in extreme Northern Newfoundland.

 

††††††††††† LA POILE.† Pop. 7. Fishing hamlet in LaPoile Bay, on the S.W. Coast, beside Little Hr., itself a fishing settlement. 488 m. from Argentia, 35 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. 3 sawmills. 5 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† LARK HARBOUR.† Pop. 352. Picturesque fishing settlement inside the south entrance to B. of Islands. Settled originally by Conception B. fishermen. 5 sawmills. Customs. 10 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LA SCIE.† Pop. 490. A fishing settlement that is notable chiefly for the fact that it is the first place north of the southern boundary of the French Shore as fixed in 1713 S namely, Cape John. The French occupied it from the 16th century. Many of the present inhabitants have sprung from a few Irish and English fishermen who were employed 100-150 years ago by the French planters (who were not permitted to reside in Newfoundland) to take care of their fishing stages and other property in winter time S a fact which is true also of most of the older places along the 1713 French Shore. It is an interesting fact that so many of the places immediately south of Cape John, commencing with the first one (Shoe Cove), are so much older as English settlements, Shoe Cove for instance dating probably from the early 18th century, whilst Indian Burying Place is even older. 175 m. from St. Johnís. Northern Ranger. 3 sawmills. Nursing Cent. 13 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† LAURENCETON.† Pop. 202. Lumbering-farming settlement on the south side of the B. of Exploits, about 4 m. out from Botwood. 4 sawmills. 6 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LAWN.† Pop. 503. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the Burin peninsula, between St. Lawrence and Lamaline. 146 m. from Argentia. Home. Nursing Cent. 14 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LEAD COVE.† Pop. 112. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the B. de Verde peninsula, separating Conception and Trinity Bays.

 

††††††††††† LEADING TICKLES EAST.† Pop. 56. Fishing settlement beside Leading Tickles West. (See following entry).

 

††††††††††† LEADING TICKLES WEST.† Pop. 255. Fishing settlement on the north coast of the promontory of the peninsula separating Seal B. and Ne B., N.D.B. 62 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 10 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LETHBRIDGE.† Pop. 257. Lumbering-farming settlement at the head of Goose B., Bonavista B. South, on the Bonavista Branch railway. 19 m. by rail from Clarenville, 150 from St. Johnís. 4 sawmills. 8 radios.

 

††††††††††† LEWISPORTE.† Pop. 699. An important railway and coastal steamship centre at the bottom of Notre Dame Bay. Home port of the Clyde, which makes two trips a week around the great and beautiful Bay S one northward as far as Shoe Cove, the other southward as far as Fogo, and all the time on both trips steaming through some of the most magnificent coastal scenery in the world. Two hotels, numerous boarding houses. A fuel-oil depot. 9 m. by rail from Notre Dame Junction on the main railway line, 254 from St. Johnís, 247 from Port aux Basques. 4 sawmills. Dr. N.S. Knapp, MHO. Customs. 41 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† LIONíS DEN.† Pop. 35. Fishing settlement near Fogo. 2 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BARRISWAY.† Pop. 36. Settlement on the east side of Placentia B., about 5 miles south of Placentia. Alternate name: Little Barachois.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BAY.† Pop. 136. Fishing-lobstering settlement about 3 miles east of Port aux Basques, S.W. Coast.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BAY.† Pop. 69. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the north-west side of Great B. de Líeau, which itself lies between Fortune and Hermitage Bays, S.W. Coast. 2 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BAY.† Pop. 92. Situated on the north side of Green B., this settlement in the second half of the 19th century as one of the important group of settlements in Green B., here copper mining was carried on S Tilt Cove, Bettís Cove, Pilleyís Island, etc. Mining commenced in 1878 and the ore produced here and at the other settlements placed Newfoundland for some years in sixth position in the world as a copper producer. After 15 or 20 years of operations Little B. had closed down due to a drastic fall in copper prices. In 1904 300 inhabitants were rendered homeless by a forest fire which practically obliterated the settlement. Active explorations and diamond-drilling for copper were carried on here and throughout Green B. in 1939, and there seems to be a good chance of a very important mining settlement in the near future. 137 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 16 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BAY.† Pop. 276. Fishing settlement inside the southern entrance to Mortier B., Placentia B. West. LT.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BAY EAST.† Pop. 202. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the western side of the Burin peninsula, between Bay LíArgent and Hr. Mille, toward the north-east head of Fortune B. 182 m. from Argentia. Burgeo. 1 sawmill. 2 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BAY ISLANDS.† Pop. 560. Important Labrador fishery settlement lying off from Hallís B. on the south side of Green B. One of the countryís largest fish-packing and exporting firms located here; also interesting mink-nutria ranch. 127 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 1 sawmill. Post Sav. Bank. Customs. 12 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BAY WEST.† Pop. 144. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the north-west side of Great Bay de Líeau, which itself lies between Fortune and Hermitage Bays. 2 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BONA.† Pop. 35. Fishing settlement on the west side of Placentia B. between Presque and Marticot Island. Noted chiefly for mention of it in the popular Newfoundland ballad ďThe Ryans and the Pittmans.Ē

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BRAHA.† Pop. 88. Fishing settlement on the northern French Shore, between St. Anthony and Griquet.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE BURNT BAY.† Pop. 77. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the peninsula separating Lewisporte and the Bay of Exploits, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE CATALINA.† Pop. 588. Fishing settlement on the north side of Trinity B., 4 m. by water, 3 by road from Catalina, 10 by road from Elliston. LT. PO.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE HARBOUR.† Pop. 136. Farming-logging settlement on the main railway, 3 m. west of Deer Lake, on the West Coast.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE HARBOUR.† Pop. 128. Fishing settlement on the west side of Placentia B., between Rushoon and Paradise, inside of Grass Island. LT.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE HARBOUR.† Pop. 89. Fishing-lumbering settlement on the east side of Random Island, Trinity B. North.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE HARBOUR.† Pop. 60. Fishing settlement near Heartís Ease, at the S.E. entrance to the S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE HARBOUR.† Pop. 75. Fishing settlement on South Twillingate Island, 3 m. from Twillingate. 4 sawmills. 1 radio.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE HARBOUR DEEP.† Pop. 34. Lumber0ng-fishing settlement in White B., between Jacksonís Arm and Big Hr. Deep. PO.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE HARBOUR EAST.† Pop. 63. Fishing-lumbering settlement at the N.E. head of Fortune B., north of Bay LíArgent. PO.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE HARBOUR EAST.† Pop. 101. Fishing settlement on the west side of St. Maryís B., north of Branch.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE HEARTíS EASE.† Pop. 264. Fishing-lumbering settlement near the S.E. entrance of the S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 4 sawmills. 6 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE PARADISE.† Pop. 108. Fishing settlement in Paradise Sound, near Paradise, Placentia B. West. 40 m. from Argentia. Home. Nursing Cent. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE PORT.† Pop. 28. Fishing-farming settlement 3 m. from Lark Hr., on the outer coast between B. of Islands and Port au Port B., but not far south of B. of Islands.

 

††††††††††† LITTLE RIDGE.† Pop. 53. Fishing settlement in Chapel Arm, which itself lies at the head of Trinity B.

 

††††††††††† LOBSTER COVE.† Pop. 28. Fishing settlement just north of the N.W. entrance to Bonne B.

 

††††††††††† LOCKíS COVE.† Pop. 36. Fishing settlement between Facheux B. and Cul de Sac E., at the eastern end of Burgeo-LaPoile district.†††††††††††

 

††††††††††† LOCKíS COVE.† Pop. 34. Fishing settlement beside Fogo, Fogo island.

 

††††††††††† LOCKíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 55. Fishing settlement on the western coast of the promontory separating Badger and Seal Bays, N.D.B. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† LOCKSTON.† Pop. 87. Fishing settlement beside Trinity East, Trinity B. North. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† LOGY BAY.† Pop. 224. Fishing-farming settlement on the St. Johnís shore, 3Ĺ m. north of the capital. One of the picturesque settlements on the Marine Drive, favourite motor route for tourists. 4Ĺ m. by highway from St. Johnís.

 

††††††††††† LOMOND.† Pop. 141. A logging centre at the head of Bonne B. 73 m. from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. 7 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† LONG BEACH.† Pop. 132. A section of Northern B. (q.v.). 3 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LONG BEACH.† Pop. 132. Lumbering-fishing (inshore and Labrador) settlement in S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North. 8 sawmills. 3 radios.

 

††††††††††† LONG BEACH.† Pop. 36. Fishing settlement beside Princeton in Southern Bay, Bonavista B. South.

 

††††††††††† LONG BEACH.† Pop. 32. Fishing settlement closely south of Cape Race.

 

††††††††††† LONG COVE.† Pop. 126. Fishing settlement in Trinity B., between Thornlea and Normanís Cove. 85 m. by highway from St. Johnís.

 

††††††††††† LONG HARBOUR.† Pop. 397. Fishing settlement on east side of Placentia B., 12-15 m. north of Argentia. Government cold storage bait freezer. 2 sawmills. 5 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LONG POINT.† Pop. 54. Fishing-lobstering settlement at the northern point of the Port au Port peninsula.

 

††††††††††† LONG POND.† Pop. 615. Farming settlement at the head of Conception B., between Manuels and Kelligrews. Here are the headquarters and Pavilion of the Avalon Yacht Club. 17 m. by highway from St. Johnís.

 

††††††††††† LOON BAY.† Pop. 129. Fishing-farming settlement at the head of Loon B., which itself lies south of New World Island. 2 sawmills. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LOONíS (or Luneís) COVE. (See Burin).

 

††††††††††† LORDíS COVE.† Pop. 287. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the Burin peninsula, near Lamaline. 156 m. from Argentia. Home. 5 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† LOREBURN.† Pop. 46. Lumbering settlement on the north side of Random S.W. Arm, near its entrance, Trinity B. North.

 

††††††††††† LOURDES.† Pop. 222. Old Name: Clam Bank Cove. Situated on the western shore of the Port au Port peninsula. This lobstering-fishing settlement is the scene of one of the latest land-settlement colonies established by the Commission of Government. The settlers have removed here from Sagona island and other Fortune B. fishing settlements. It is the most successful of the land colonies. 1 sawmill. 12 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† LOURDES.† Pop. 196. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the Burin peninsula.

 

††††††††††† LOWER COVE.† Pop. 36. Lobstering settlement toward the N.W. of B. St. George, on south coast of Port au Port peninsula, toward Cape St. George.

 

††††††††††† LOWER ISLAND COVE.† Pop. 633. Fishing settlement on North Shore of Conception B., between Caplin Cove and Jobís Cove. Reputedly settled by Louis, a Jersey fisherman, in 1750. Nearby is the well-known Flamboro, or Flambers Head, where pirate gold is reputedly buried. 99 m. by highway from St. Johnís, 27 from Carbonear. 35 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LOWER LANCE COVE.† Pop. 184. Fishing settlement at the central part of the northern shore of Random Island, in Trinity B. North. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† LOWER SMALL POINT.† Pop. 222. Fishing-farming settlement on the North Shore of Conception B., between Broad Cove and Kingston. Birthplace of Rev. J.L. Reynolds.

 

††††††††††† LOW POINT.† Pop. 68. Fishing settlement on the North Shore of Conception B., between Caplin Cove and B. de Verde.

 

††††††††††† LUKEíS ARM.† Pop. 70. Fishing settlement on the S.W. side of New World Island, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† LUMSDEN.† Pop. 466. Fishing settlement on the Straight Shore, the first place north of Cape Freels. Noted for its magnificent sand beach. 207 m. from St. Johnís. Sagona. 5 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† LUSHES BIGHT.† Pop. 223. Fishing settlement on the western side of Long Island, which itself is S.E. of Little B. Islands, N.D.B. 114 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 1 sawmill. 6 radios. POMO.

M

††††††††††† McCALLUM.† Pop. 88. Fishing-lobstering settlement immediately west of Pushthrough, S.W. Coast.

 

††††††††††† McIVERS.† Pop. 182. Farming-fishing settlement in Humber Arm, B. of Islands, just inside Woods Island. 3 sawmills. PO.

 

††††††††††† MADDOX COVE.† POp. 119. Fishing settlement on the Southern Shore, 8 m. by water south of St. Johnís. Close to Petty Hr.

 

††††††††††† MAIN BROOK.† Pop. 60. Lumbering-furring-salmon catching settlement at the head of Hare B., French Shore. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† MAINLAND.† Pop. 140. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the western shore of the Port au Port peninsula, West Coast.

 

††††††††††† MAIN POINT.† Pop. 47. Lumbering settlement on the east side of Gander B. 2 radios.

 

††††††††††† MAKKOVIK.† Pop. 66. Labrador fishing settlement south of Hopedale. 900 m. from St. Johnís. Kyle. H.B. Co. post. 2 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† MALL BAY.† Pop. 102. Fishing-lobstering settlement about the centre of the south side of St. Maryís B. Herring bait centre for banking vessels. 2 sawmills LT.

 

††††††††††† MANN POINT.† Pop. 122. Fishing settlement on east side of Gander B., Fogo Dist.

 

††††††††††† MANSFIELD POINT.† Pop. 34. Fishing settlement on the south side of Green B., near the bottom, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† MANUELS.† Pop. 194. A farming-fishing settlement at the head of Conception B., much frequented as a summer resort by the people of St. Johnís. The river of the same name, which flows through the settlement to the sea (and at the place of meeting the sea forms a magnificent bathing beach) is famous amongst scientists for the presence here of a fossil which has served to correlate the geology of Europe and North America. 15 m. by highway from St. Johnís. Dr. A.W.J. Blackler, MHO. 33 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† MANUELíS COVE.† Pop. 98. Fishing settlement about 3 m. from Twillingate, on S. Twillingate I., N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† MARCHEíS POINT.† Pop. 122. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the southern coast of the Port au Port peninsula, West Coast.

 

††††††††††† MARGAREE.† Pop. 103. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the S.W. Coast, near Port aux Basques.

 

††††††††††† MARKLAND.† Pop. 635. Established about 4 miles inland on the Colinet Road from Whitbourne in April 1934, as the first of the Governmentís land-settlement colonies. Original settlers numbered 10. There are now about 79 families. The average cost per individual settler has been more than $6,000. Cottage Hosp. Nurs. Cent.

 

††††††††††† MARQUISE.† Pop. 283. Fishing settlement immediately north of Placentia, south of Argentia, Placentia B. East.

 

††††††††††† MARYSTOWN.† Pop. 910. A fishing settlement lying within the magnificent indraught known as Mortier B., on the west side of Placentia B. Nearby is the site of the projected international free port to which freight would be brought from the Great Lakes cities for transshipment to Europe and South America. 100 m. from Argentia. Home, Burgeo, Bacalieu. Post Sav. Bank. Customs. 46 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† MARYSVALE.† Pop. 313. Old name: Turkís Gut. An old and picturesque fishing settlement on the upper side of Conception B. Reputed to have been a piratesí lair in the olden times. 45 m. by highway from St. Johnís.

 

††††††††††† MASONíS COVE.† Pop. 89. Fishing settlement on the east side of Burnt B., at the head of which bay lies Lewisporte.

 

††††††††††† MATTIS POINT.† Pop. 125. Fishing-farming settlement in Bay St. George, near Stephenville Crossing.

 

††††††††††† MEADOWS. †Pop. 199. Farming settlement in Humber Arm, Bay of Islands, opposite Curling. Has marine repair shop. 2 sawmills. 13 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† MEADOWS.† Pop. 248. A section of Lamaline, q.v.

 

††††††††††† MELROSE.† Pop. 225. Old name: Ragged Harbour. Fishing settlement on north side of Trinity B., 1 m. south of Port Union. LT.

 

††††††††††† MERASHEEN.† Pop. 318. Large island (20 m. long by 2-3 wide) lying toward the head of Placentia B., on the west side. Fishing settlement. Government bait-holding plant. 21 m. from Argentia. Home. 4 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† MERRITTíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 44. Part of Durrell, q.v.

 

††††††††††† MIDDLE ARM.† Pop. 51. Farming-fishing settlement, and a safe harbour, just S. of Conception Hr., Conception B.

 

††††††††††† MIDDLE ARM.† In White B. Birthplace of Sergeant Thomas Ricketts, V.C. Formerly a lumbering settlement. All the inhabitants have removed from here.

 

††††††††††† MIDDLE BARACHOIX.† Pop. 116. Fishing-lobstering settlement near Cape Anguille, on the West Coast.

 

††††††††††† MIDDLE BROOK.† Pop. 358. Lumbering settlement in Freshwater B., Bonavista B. North, near Gambo. 5 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† MIDDLE BROOK.† Pop. 146. Fishing settlement on the north shore of Green B.

 

††††††††††† MIDDLE COVE.† Pop. 134. Quaint fishing settlement on the shore north of St. Johnís, on the Marine Drive. Popular tourist motor tour. The natural arch of rock is an attraction here.

 

††††††††††† MIDDLE GUT.† Pop. 73. (Plac. & St. M.), near Colinet, near Harricot.

 

††††††††††† MIDLAND.† One of the newest land-settlement colonies established by the Government. Near South Brook, West Coast. 25 settlers. 1 sawmill. 5 radios.

 

††††††††††† MICHAELíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 29. Lumbering settlement near the N.E. corner of the entrance to Lewisporte B., N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† MILES COVE.† Pop. 54. Fishing settlement between Port Anson and Lushes Bight, near the N.E. entrance to Hallís B., N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† MILL COVE.† Pop. 27. Fishing settlement in Bonne B.

 

††††††††††† MILL ROAD.† Pop. 57. Farming section in Conception B., on the road leading from Clarkeís Beach to the Riverside Woolen Mills.

 

††††††††††† MILLERíS PASSAGE.† Pop.142. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the west side of B. de Líeau, which itself lies between Fortune and Hermitage Bays. PO.

 

††††††††††† MILLERTON.† Pop. 380. An important pulpwood-cutting centre of the Anglo-Newfoundland Development Co. of Grand Falls. 800 loggers employed. 18 m. by rail from Millertown Junction on the main railway line. 2 sawmills. Customs. 65 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† MILLERTOWN JUNCTION.† Pop. 122. The junction of the main railway line and the private branch railway to Buchans. Distant 309 m. from St. Johnís. 1 sawmill. 19 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† MILLTOWN.† Pop. 178. Lumbering settlement at the head of b. díEspoir. 6 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† MILLVILLE.† Pop. 77. Farming-lumbering settlement between Woodville and Great Codroy, at the mouth of Grand River, West Coast. Named after Alex Gale who had a mill there. He was a descendant of the original settler of that name, an Englishman. 3 sawmills.

†††††††††††

††††††††††† MILTON.† Pop. 87. Lumbering-farming settlement at the head of Smithís Sound, Trinity B. North. 6 sawmills. 8 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† MINGíS BIGHT.† Pop. 117. Fishing-lumbering settlement on the promontory separating Green and White Bays, between Pacquet and Baie Verte. Notable chiefly for its deposits of minerals, which have undergone some exploration recently.

 

††††††††††† MITCHELLíS BROOK.† Pop. 131. Fishing-farming settlement near St. Josephís, Salmonier, at the head of St. Maryís B.

 

††††††††††† MOBILE.† Pop. 150. Old name: Mommables. A fishing settlement on the Southern Shore, notable chiefly for the fact that it has an important potential hydro-electric power, owned by the city of St. Johnís. In 1705 it had 6 houses and families. 25 m. by highway from St. Johnís. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† MOLLIERíS.† Pop. 32. Fishing settlement just north of Grand Bank, on the Western side of the Burin peninsula.

 

††††††††††† MONKSTOWN.† Pop. 85. Fishing-lumbering settlement in Paradise Sound, Placentia B. est. 2 sawmills. PO.

 

††††††††††† MONROE.† Pop. 90. Lumbering-farming settlement on the North side of Smithís Sound, between Clifton and Burgoyneís Cove, Trinity B. North. 3 sawmills. 7 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† MOOREíS COVE.† Pop. 65. Fishing settlement on the N.W. side of the New B. peninsula. North of Pt. leamington, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† MOORING COVE.† Pop. 107. Fishing settlement in Mortier B., Placentia B. West. 1 sawmill. LT.

 

††††††††††† MORETONíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 325. Fishing settlement, near the western head of New World Island, about 10 m. from Twillingate, 193 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 13 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† MORRISVILLE.† Pop. 77. Lumbering settlement at head B. díEspoir. Named after Sir edward, afterwards Lord Morris. 5 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† MORTIER.† Pop. 141. Fishing settlement on the outer shore between Burin and Mortier Bays. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† MOSE AMBROSE.† Pop. 91. Fishing settlement between English Hr. W. and Boxey, near the S.. Entrance to Fortune B. Here lives Mrs. Henry Petite, the only woman in Newfoundland, and perhaps the world, operating and managing a bank fishery business. 253 m. from Argentia. Burgeo. 5 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† MOSQUITO.† Pop. 72. Fishing settlement on the south side of Big Colinet Island, St. Maryís B. PO.

 

††††††††††† MOSQUITO.† Pop. 45. Fishing settlement just west of McCallum B., which itself lies just west of B. díEspoir.

 

††††††††††† MOUNT CARMEL.† Pop. 325. A section of Salmonier, q.v. 3 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† MOUNT MORIAH.† Pop. 381. Farming settlement on Humber Arm of Bay of Islands, near Curling.

 

††††††††††† MUD LAKE.† Pop. 58. Labrador fishing settlement near North West River.

 

††††††††††† MUDDY HOLE.† Pop. 95. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the S.W. Coast, 7 m. west of Pushthrough.

 

††††††††††† MUDDY HOLE.† Pop. 90. Lumbering settlement between Codroy Pond and St. Fintanís Station, St. Georgeís Dist.

 

††††††††††† MULLEYíS COVE.† Pop. 100. A section of Broad Cove, Conception B.

 

††††††††††† MULLIGAN.† Pop. 32. Furring settlement on Lake Melville, Hamilton Inlet, Labrador.

 

††††††††††† MULLIOCK.† Pop. 25. Furring settlement on Lake Melville, Hamilton Inlet, Labrador.

 

††††††††††† MUSGRAVE HARBOUR.† Pop. 387. Fishing settlement on the Straight Shore, Fogo Dist., contiguous to Doting Cove. Settled originally by fishermen ho removed here from the North Shore of Conception Bay. Birthplace of H.J. Russell, general Manager, Newfoundland Railway, Dr. S.P. Whiteway, F. Gordon Bradley, K.C. Alongside lies Ragged Hr., locale of the American author Norman Duncanís ďTales of Ragged Harbour.Ē 237 m. by water from St. Johnís. Sagona. 1 sawmill. Nursing Cent. 12 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† MUSGRAVETOWN.† Pop. 422. Farming-logging settlement at the head of Goose B., Bonavista B. South. Lies close to Lethbridge, which is on the Bonavista branch railway. 19 m. from Clarenville. 150 m. from St. Johnís. 6 sawmills. 21 radios. PT.

N

††††††††††† †NAIN.† Pop. 257. This fishing-furring settlement is the Eskimo ďcapitalĒ of Labrador. Lies far down the Labrador Coast toward Cape Chidley. Headquarters of the Moravian Mission. H.B. Co. post. 1 radio. Private wireless tele. PO.

 

††††††††††† NUTAK.† Pop. 20. Labrador fishing settlement north of Nain. PO.

 

††††††††††† NAMELESS COVE.† Pop. 52. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the northern St. Barbe Coast, close to Flowerís Cove.

 

††††††††††† NEDDIEíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 106. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the north side of Bonne B. 1 sawmill.

 

††††††††††† NEW BONAVENTURE.† Pop. 73. Fishing settlement on the north side of Trinity B., a few miles south of Trinity and near Old Bonaventure. 2 sawmills. 4 radios.

 

††††††††††† NEW BRIDGE.† Pop. 91. A section of Salmonier, q.v. Ltel.

 

††††††††††† NEW BURN COVE.† Pop. 70. Lumbering-farming settlement between Clifton and Burgoyneís Cove, on the north side of Smithís Sound, Trinity B. North.

 

††††††††††† NEW CHELSEA.† Pop. 326. Fishing settlement on the south side of Trinity B., between New Melbourne and Hantís Harbour. 120 m. by highway from St. Johnís, 16 from heartís Content, 48 from Carbonear. 2 sawmills. 2 radios. PO.

††††††††††† NEW FERROLE.† Pop. 84. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, on the point separating B. St. John from B. St. Barbe. 783 m. from St. Johnís, 191 from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger.

 

††††††††††† NEWFOUNDLAND AIRPORT [sic Gander]. Pop. 150. One of the largest and most modern airports in the world. Commenced 1936. Cost to December 1939, $3,000,000, exclusive of wireless equipment. Built by British and Newfoundland Governments, owned by the latter. 213 m. from St. Johnís on the main railway. 27 radios.

 

††††††††††† NE HARBOUR.† Pop. 685. Situate on the south side of Trinity B., this was the home of the Newhooks, famous vessel-builders in the first half of the 19th century. 84 m. by highway from St. Johnís. 1 sawmill. 46 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† NEW HARBOUR.† Pop. 195. Fishing settlement on the S.W. Coast, near entrance to Rencontre B. LT.

 

††††††††††† NEW MELBOURNE.† Pop. 263. Fishing settlement on the north west promontory of the B. de Verde peninsula, in Trinity B., south of Old Perlican. 116 m. by highway from St. Johnís, 20 from Heartís Content. 4 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† NEW PERLICAN.† Pop. 667. Ancient fishing settlement on south side of Trinity B. 133 m. by highway from St. Johnís, 3 from heartís Content. 1 sawmill. 3 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† NEWPORT.† Pop. 122. Fishing settlement about 5 m. up Bonavista B. North from Greenspond PO.

 

††††††††††† NEWTOWN.† Pop. 520. Labrador fishing settlement on the north side of Bonavista B., near Wesleyville. Pinchardís Island lies along side. A picturesque place. 13 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† NEWTON.† Pop. An extension of Holyrood, Conception B.

 

††††††††††† NEWMANíS COVE.† Pop. 382. Fishing settlement on south side of Bonavista B., 8 m. above Bonavista by road. 3 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† NEWSTEAD.† Pop. 150. This Notre Dame Bay settlement, situated near the western end of the Dildo Run, is notable chiefly for the fact that several skeletons, and numerous stone relics, of the Beothuck aborigines of Newfoundland have been unearthed here. 11 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 1 sawmill. 6 radios.

 

††††††††††† NICHOLSVILLE.† Pop. 75. Farming settlement near Deer Lake, on the shore of the lake of that name.

 

††††††††††† NICKíS NOSE COVE.† Pop. 29. Fishing settlement near the N.E. entrance to Green B.

 

††††††††††† NIPPERíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 283. One of the oldest fishing settlements in Green B. A picturesque place. 188 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 13 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† NODDY BAY.† Pop. 47. Fishing settlement between Quirpon and Cape Onion, extreme Northern Newfoundland.

 

††††††††††† NOGGIN COVE.† Pop. 144. Fishing settlement beside Carmanville, on the northern end of the Straight Shore. LT.

 

††††††††††† NORMANíS COVE.† Pop. 375. Fishing-lumbering settlement in Trinity B. central, on the shore of the Isthmus of Avalon, lying between Chapel Arm and Collier Bay. 1 sawmill. 84 m. by highway from St. Johnís. 7 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† NORRIS ARM.† Pop. 729. Farming-lumbering settlement at the head of B. of Exploits, across the B. from Botwood. The only port in Notre Dame Bay at which the railway touches. (The Grand Falls Companyís railway extends to Botwood, also in the Bay). 4 m. from Botwood. 253 m. by rail from St. Johnís. 4 sawmills. 40 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† NORRIS POINT.† Pop. 381. One of the settlements in the beautiful Bonne Bay (q.v.). 1 sawmill. 18 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† NORTH BAY.† Pop. 51. Fishing settlement in Burgeo Dist., S.W. Coast, at the head of LaPoile B. 3 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† NORTH HARBOUR.† Pop. 187. Lobstering-lumbering settlement at the north-west head of St. Maryís B., south of Colinet. 4 sawmills. PO.

 

††††††††††† NORTH HARBOUR.† Pop. 148. Fishing-lumbering settlement beside Colinet, in St. Maryís B. 6 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† NORTH ISLAND.† Pop. 80. Fishing settlement beside Flat Islands, Bonavista B.

 

††††††††††† NORTH RIVER.† Pop. 234. The sister river of South River, a mile or two inland from Clarkeís Beach. This is a very pretty pastoral setting, famous as the home of Mrs. Ellen Carroll, who celebrated her 113th birthday on October 20, 1940. 54 m. by highway from St. Johnís.

 

††††††††††† NORTH WEST ARM.† Pop. 143. Logging settlement forming part of Indian B., Bonavista B. North.

 

††††††††††† NORTH WEST ARM.† Pop. 65. Logging settlement forming part of Trinity, Bonavista B. North.

 

††††††††††† NORTH WEST BROOK.† Pop. 57. Lumbering-farming settlement at the extreme head of the S.W. Arm of Random Sound, Trinity B. North.

 

††††††††††† NORTH WEST RIVER.† Pop. 209. (Indians 154). Labrador fishing-furring settlement north of Cartwright. H.B. Co. post. Grenfell Hosp., farm and boarding school. 27 radios. Private wireless telegraph. 25 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† NORTHERN ARM.† Pop. 205. Lumbering-farming settlement to the N.W. of Botwood in B. of Exploits. 4 sawmills. 12 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† NORTHERN BAY.† Pop. 299. Fishing settlement on the North Shore of Conception B., between Western B. and Lower Island Cove. Birthplace pf late Bishop March of Harbour Grace, Sir John C. Puddister, Rev. Father Hinchey of Buchans, Mayor Hinchey of New Waterford, N.S. 92 m. by highway from St. Johnís, 20 from Carbonear. 1 sawmill. 14 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† NOTRE DAME JUNCTION.† Pop. 27. The point on the trunk line of the Newfoundland Railway at which the branch line to lewisporte begins. 8 m. from Lewisporte; [240] from St. Johnís; [328] from Port aux Basques.

O

††††††††††† OCHRE PIT COVE.† Pop. 251. Situated on the North Shore of Conception B., between Western B. and Northern B., this place is reputed to have derived its name from the fact that it was from the pits nearby that the Beothuck Indians obtained the ochre with which to colour their faces and bodies. Here lived Samuel Churchill, a brother of the first Duke of Marlborough, the famous ancestor of the Churchills of England. Birthplace of .W. Halfyard and Rev. Samuel Halfyard, PhD. 90 m. by highway from St. Johnís, 18 from Carbonear. 3 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† ODERIN.† Pop. 239. Fishing settlement on island of same name lying off the eastern coast of the Burin peninsula, Placentia B. West. In possession of the French from very early times to 1713, and it was their practice to press into slavery any enemy nationals they captured at or near Placentia. Here as a young man the late Right Hon. Lord Morris, sometime Prime Minister of Newfoundland, taught school under his brother, who was Parish Priest. Oderin is the home of the celebrated McGrath family, one of whom (John W.) Became private secretary to President Theodore Roosevelt, and one is the Right Rev. Monsignor William McGrath, Prefect Apostolic of Checkiang Province, China. Here the well-known 18th and 19th century merchant Christopher Spurrier, had a branch business. The Island was fortified at that time. Government bait-holding plant. Customs. 4 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† OLD BONAVENTURE.† Pop. 107. Ancient fishing settlement on the north side of Trinity B., south of Trinity. From here in 1822 W.E. Cormack started his famous walk across Newfoundland. 2 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† OLD PERLICAN.† POp. 706. A very ancient fishing settlement on the east side of Trinity B. First settled probably in the 16th century. In 1677 it had 16 dwellings, 13 planters, 9 wives, 9 sons, 8 daughters, 167 fishery servants, 35 boats, 14 stages, 22 cattle, 3 sheep, 29 hogs, 12 gardens, and produced 2,890 quintals of fish.

 

††††††††††† OLD SHOP.† Pop. 111. Fishing and farming settlement at the head of Trinity B., between Dildo and Spreadeagle. 1 sawmill. 3 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† OFFER WADHAMS.† Pop. 7. Group of small islands lying about 10 m. off the Straight Shore, south-east of Fogo Island. To them come each summer numerous fishermen of Doting Cove and Musgrave Hr., with their families to fish. 226 m. from St. Johnís. Sagona.

 

††††††††††† OPEN HALL.† Pop. 152. Fishing settlement on the south side of Bonavista B., below Princeton. Salmon and squid (the latter exported dried to Chinese markets), are plentiful here and along this shore. 9 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† OíREGANíS.† Pop. 96. Farming settlement in the Codroy Valley, 7-8 m. inland from the mouth of Codroy River, St. Georgeís Dist., West Coast. 1 sawmill. LT.

 

††††††††††† OSBORNEíS.† Pop. 46. Fishing settlement just south of C. Ray.

 

††††††††††† OTTERíS POINT.† Pop. 71. Fishing settlement at the entrance to Couteau B., which itself is east of LaPoile B., Burgeo Dist., S.W. Coast.

 

††††††††††† OTTERBURY.† Pop. 69. Fishing settlement on North Shore of Conception B., between Freshwater and Salmon Cove.

 

††††††††††† OTTERBURY.† Pop. 136. Section of Harbour Grace (q.v.).

 

††††††††††† OTTERBURY.† Pop. 95. Fishing-farming settlement on the N. side of B. de Grave, between Clarkeís Beach and Bareneed, Conception B.

 

††††††††††† OUR HARBOUR.† Pop. 86. A fishing-lobstering settlement on one of the Burgeo Islands, 75 m. from Port aux Basques.

 

††††††††††† OUTER COVE.† Pop. 257. Lying 6 m. by highway from St. Johnís, on the coast between the capital and Cape St. Francis. This pretty fishing-farming settlement forms part of the ďMarine Drive,Ē famous motor route of tourists. 3 radios. PO.

P

††††††††††† PACKíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 128. Labrador fishing settlement north of Cartwright. 668 m. from St. Johnís. Kyle.

 

††††††††††† PACQUET.† Pop. 161. Ancient fishing settlement on the promontory separating Green and White Bays, between LaScie and Coachmanís Cove. Now at Woodstock (q.v.) which is the S.W. harbour of Pacquet, the Bowater Co. of Corner Brook employs 150 loggers cutting pulpwood and pitprops for export to Great Britain. 287 m. from St. Johnís. Northern Ranger. 2 sawmills. 5 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PARADISE and BOBBYíS ARM.† Pop. 69. Farming settlement on the west side of the S.. Arm of New Bay, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† PARADISE.† Pop. 157. Farming settlement, south side of Conception B., between Portugal Cove and Topsail. 2 sawmills. 4 radios.

 

††††††††††† PARKERíS COVE.† Pop. 112. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the west side of Boat Hr., which itself lies north of Baine Hr., Placentia B. West. LT

 

††††††††††† PARSONíS POND.† Pop. 190. Lying on the St. Barbe Coast, 36 m. from Bonne Bay, this fishing-lobstering settlement is notable for the presence of its petroleum oil wells, long abandoned by the European oil company which sank them. There are 32 holes, all with 6-inch casing, laid from ľ to Ĺ mile apart. One of them is 3000 feet down. One is actually in use by the inhabitants, who by means of a pump driven by wood-fuel fire, obtain enough oil, when refined by themselves, to provide kerosene for their house lamps, and gasoline for their fishing-boat engines. A small quantity is sold to fishermen in nearby settlements on the coast. 872 m. from St. Johnís, 102 from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. 3 sawmills. 7 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PASADENA.† Pop. 43. Fertile new farming settlement on main railway, between Deer Lake and Corner Brook, near South Brook. 1 sawmill. 12 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† PASS ISLAND.† Pop. 238. Fishing-lobstering settlement (island) lying off the promontory which separates Hermitage and Connaigre Bays. 304 m. from Argentia. 219 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. 3 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† PATH END.† Pop. 45. Section of St. Maryís (q.v.).

 

††††††††††† PATRICKíS COVE.† Pop. 110. Fishing settlement on the Cape Shore, about halfway between Placentia and Cape St. Maryís, Placentia B. East. 103 m. by highway from St. Johnís. PO.

 

††††††††††† PAULíS ISLAND.† Pop. 84. Fishing settlement beside Fair Island, which is 8 miles west from Greenspond, Bonavista B. North.

 

††††††††††† PERRYíS COVE.† Pop. 368. Fishing settlement on North Shore of Conception Bay, just north of Salmon Cove. 7 m. by highway from Carbonear. 7 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† PERRYíS ISLAND.† POp. 86. Fishing settlement (island) near Stag Hr., S. side of Fogo Island.

 

††††††††††† PETERíS ARM.† Pop. 901. Lumbering settlement at the head of B. of Exploits, near Botwood. 3 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† PETERíS RIVER.† Pop. 50. Fishing settlement on the east side of St. Maryís B., between Holyrood Pond and St. Shottís. 1 radio. PO.

 

††††††††††† PETLEY.† Pop. 131. Fishing-lobstering settlement in Smithís Sound, on N. side of Random Island, Trinity B., North. 3 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† PETIT FORTE.† Pop. 276. Important fishing settlement (5 bankers) in Placentia B. West, inside of Paradise Sound. 1 sawmill. 5 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† PETITES.† Pop. 212. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the S.W. Coast, near Rose Blanche, notable for its winter fishery. Here was quarried the granite with which the Court House, St. Johnís, was built. 5 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PETRIES. Pop. 417. Farming-lumbering settlement on Humber Arm, B. of Islands, near Curling. A beautiful place.

 

††††††††††† PETTY HARBOUR.† Pop. 769. A very ancient fishing settlement, first settled very early in the 16th century, shortly after the Islandís discovery in 1497. A very picturesque settlement, lying tight to the water at the bowl-like foot of towering hills. Frequently attacked and looted or destroyed by the French in the 17th and 18th centuries. Here in 1696 the fishermen put up an heroic defence of their homes against DíIbervilleís attack, 35 of them losing their lives. In 1705 it had 6 houses and families. Situated here is the hydro-electric power house which generates most of the light and power consumed in St. Johnís. The first settlement (with Maddox Cove) south of St. Johnís on the Southern Shore. 8 m. by highway from St. Johnís. 18 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PHILLIPíS HEAD.† Pop. 51. Fishing settlement on the east side of B. of Exploits, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† PICCADILLY.† Pop. 140. Fishing-logging settlement in West B., Port au Port peninsula. Here is located a fresh fish processing enterprise. Here 100 loggers are employed cutting pulpwood and pitprops for export to G. Britain by Boater Co. of Corner Brook. 1 sawmill. 7 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† PICCAIRE.† Pop. 76. Lobstering-fishing settlement on the north coast of Long Island, at the S.E. entrance to B. DíEspoir.

 

††††††††††† PICK-EYES.† Pop. 92. Fishing settlement on Port de Grave peninsula, between Blow-me-Down and Hibbís Cove.

 

††††††††††† PIKEíS ARM.† Pop. 140. One of the very beautiful coves making up Herring Neck, on the eastern end of New World Island. 164 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde.

 

††††††††††† PILLEYíS ISLAND.† Pop. 459. A very pretty settlement in Notre Dame Bay. Was once an important copper-mining centre. (See Little Bay). 81 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 1 sawmill. 12 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† PINCHARDíS ISLAND.† Pop. 337. Fishing settlement lying off Newtown, north side Bonavista B., near Wesleyville. Separated from the mainland by narrow channel. 5 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PINWARE.† Pop. 51. Fishing settlement on the Labrador side of the Straits of Belle isle, between East and West St. Modeste.

 

††††††††††† PLACENTIA.† Pop. 685. An ancient and very beautiful and historic settlement on the east side of Placentia B. First settled by the French in 1662 as their capital and chief port in Newfoundland, though few occasional English settles lived there before that, principally Isaac Dethick. The French proceeded promptly to fortify it, and held the place continuously for the next 51 years, until the signing of the Treaty of Utrecht, 1713, when they relinquished it and removed to Cape Breton. Placentia was the ďGibraltar of North America,Ē and successfully resisted various English attacks upon it by sea, though in common with many other Newfoundland settlements it was several times sacked by pirates. From DíIberville made his famous attack upon Newfoundland, 1696-97. Placentia was the only French settlement in Newfoundland S they frequented and largely monopolized all the fishing ports on a great stretch of the coast (prior to 1713) all the way from Cape Bonavista northward to the Straits of Belle Isle, thence southward and eastward to Trepassey; but founded no settlement, and under the 1713 Treaty were not permitted to settle. Even Placentia they failed to colonize successfully. They invited English-speaking fishermen to join them there, but the near-sighted policy of the monopolistic promoters (in France) of the Placentia settlement defeated whatever chance there might otherwise have been of making the colony a success. It has been British continuously since 1713. For a while after 1713, until 1729, Placentia was under the government of Nova Scotia. Here in the 1780s H.R.H. the Duke of Clarence, afterwards King William IV, was stationed as a naval officer and surrogate. In 1787 he ordered the building of an Anglican Church, contributing generously to the cost of its erection and donating a handsome, massive communion service, which is now in the Anglican Cathedral, St. Johnís. Birthplace of His Grace Archbishop Roche. Here are situated the oldest dated headstones in Newfoundland, dated in the late 17th century. 110 m. by highway from St. Johnís; 5 m. by road from Argentia, which a few years ago replaced Placentia as terminus for the south-west coastal steamship terminus. 4 sawmills. Dr. L.J. Giovannetti, MHO. Post. Sav. Bank. 76 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† PLACENTIA JUNCTION.† Pop. 38. The point at which the Placentia branch railway leaves the main railway. 61 m. from St. Johnís, 21 from Argentia. 2 radios.

 

††††††††††† PLATE COVE (East and West).† Pop. 389. Fishing settlement on the south side of Bonavista B., between Princeton and Open Hall. 2 sawmills. 5 radios. LTPO.

 

††††††††††† PLUM POINT.† Pop. 57. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, near St. Barbe.

††††††††††† POINT AU GAUL.† Pop. 243. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the Burin peninsula, beside Lamaline. PO.

 

††††††††††† POINT AU MAL.† Pop. 23. Land colonization settlement founded September, 1939, when 39 families removed here from Placentia B. Situated between Port au Port and Fox Island River on the east side of East Bay, Port au Port. The land settlement is on a stretch of well-wooded land at the base of Table Mountain, 873 feet. On old charts the name is Three Gut Cove. The population figure is for 1935.

 

††††††††††† POINT CREWE.† Pop. 88. Fishing settlement on the promontory of the Burin peninsula, near Lamaline and the southern boundary of Fortune B. PO.

 

††††††††††† POINT ENRAGEE.† (Point Rosie). Fishing settlement on the western shore of the Burin peninsula, 33 m. north of Grand Bank. 162 m. from Argentia, 361 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. LT.

 

††††††††††† POINT LA HAYE.† Pop. 150. Fishing settlement in St. Maryís Bay East, between St. Maryís and Holyrood Pond.

 

††††††††††† POINT LANCE.† Pop. 89. Fishing settlement at the southwest entrance to St. Maryís B., on the headland which separates St. Maryís and Placentia Bays. LT.

 

††††††††††† POINT LEAMINGTON.† Pop. 394. Lumbering-farming settlement at the head of New Bay, N.D.B. Here is head office of the Newfoundland Lumbermanís (loggersí) Association. 53 m. from Lewisporte. Clyde. 3 sawmills. 19 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† POINT OF BAY.† Pop. 101. Lumbering-farming settlement on the N.W. corner of the entrance to B. of Exploits, separating Green B. and Grand Falls districts. 4 sawmills. PO.

 

††††††††††† POINT RICHE.† Pop. 8. The historic south-western boundary of the French Shore as defined in the Treaty of Utrecht, 1713. Situated on the St. Barbe coast, 80 m. north of Bonne Bay, near old Port au Choix.

 

††††††††††† POINT VERDE.† Pop. 212. Ancient fishing settlement lying immediately south of Placentia, Placentia B. West. 3 sawmills. 14 radios. PO.

 

††††††††††† POND COVE.† Pop. 29. Lobstering-fishing settlement at the central head of B. St. Genevieve, St. Barbe coast.

 

††††††††††† POLLíS COVE.† Pop. 272. A fishing settlement in Fortune B., notable chiefly for the fact that it was the home and headquarters of the Rev. Dr. Hugh MacDermott, Congregational medical-missionary, author of much admirable social-welfare work on that coast, and of the autobiography, ďMacDermott of Fortune Bay.Ē 232 m. from Argentia. Burgeo. 2 sawmills. 6 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† POOLíS ISLAND.† Pop. 317. Fishing settlement lying close to Greenspond, on the north side of Bonavista B. 178 m. from St. Johnís. 1 radio. POMO.

 

††††††††††† POPEíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 20. Lumbering-fishing settlement, south of Trinity and British Hr., Trinity B. North. 10 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† PORT ALBERT.† Pop. 92. Fishing settlement between Beaverton and Dog B. West, on the promontory which separates Notre Dame and Gander Bays. PO.

 

††††††††††† PORT ANSON.† Pop. 275. Fishing settlement on the western side of Sunday Cove Island, near the N.E. entrance to Hallís B., N.D.B. 8 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PORT AU BRAS.† Pop. 315. See Burin. One of the fishing settlements constituting Burin on eastern side of the Burin peninsula. Birthplace of Newfoundland Fisheries Board member and S.U.F. Grandmaster, J.T. Cheeseman. 9 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PORT AUX CHOIX Pop. 78. Fishing-lobstering settlement on the St. Barbe coast, Ĺ m. from Old Port aux Choix.

 

††††††††††† PORT AUX CHOIX (Old).† Pop. 46. Ancient fishing settlement on the St. Barbe coast, first settled probably in the early 17th century. Frequented by the Basques long before this. 158 m. from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. 3 sawmills. 6 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PORT AU PORT.† Pop. 505. A peninsula on the West Coast, and a settlement of the same name on it. Has many important deposits of limestone (under exploitation) and of gypsum, not yet exploited. Considerable fishing-farming carried on by the people, many of whom are French or part-French origin. Many of the men here are loggers, and are amongst the best loggers in Newfoundland. 17 m. by road from Stephenville Crossing. 43 radios. Customs. PT.

 

††††††††††† PORT AUX BASQUES.† Pop. 808. Western terminus of the Newfoundland R.R. and of the Cabot Strait passenger steamship Caribou, of which North Sydney, Nova Scotia, is the Canadian terminus. Government cold storage bait freezer. In 1714 it as recorded that Micmac Indians from Cape Breton had paddled across the Cabot Strait to hunt here and nearby. 547 m. from St. Johnís; 523 from Argentia; 102 from North Sydney. Burgeo. Caribou. Bank of Nova Scotia. Dr. A.R. Parsons, M.H.O. Customs.

 

††††††††††† PORT BLANDFORD.† Pop. 539. Situated at the head of Clode Sound, and formerly headquarters for the Bonavista B. coastal steamship service, since discontinued. Many of its men are loggers. Soil is very fertile. 150 m. by rail from St. Johnís. 6 sawmills. 33 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† PORT DE GRAVE.† Pop. 243. The well-known peninsula in Conception B., and the settlement of the same name on it. The settlements of Port de Grave and Ship Cove, nearby, are amongst the very oldest in Newfoundland. The Dawe family of Ship Cove (members of which are now located in various parts of Conception Bay, St. Johnís and elsewhere in the country) trace their history in Ship Cove back to 1595, only 98 years after John Cabotís discovery of the country, and 15 years before John Guy founded his colony at Cupids, farther in the Bay. It is quite probable that people (including the Dawes) were settled at Ship Cove and Port de Grave even before 1595. There is a tradition that some of the Dawes were out on the fishing grounds on the day that John Guyís colonists arrived in Conception Bay from Bristol, and in response to a request for information about the coast and the best place to land, advised them to go in toward the bottom of Bay de Grave S which they advised out of fear that these wealthy new-comers might dispossess them of their own settlement. The entire peninsula of Port de Grave is one of the most picturesque and interesting sections of the Country. Hibbsí Cove and Blow-Me-Down are amongst the quaintest of all Newfoundlandís fishing settlements. There are nearly a dozen old private graveyards scattered through the settlements. A by-road connects with the Conception B. highway at Clarkeís Beach, which itself is 54 m. by highway from St. Johnís. 41 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† PORTERVILLE.† POp. 35. A settlement on the south side of B. of Exploits, between Laurenceton and Brownís Arm, N.D.B.

 

††††††††††† PORT HOPE SIMPSON.† Pop. 546. This Labrador settlement in Alexis Bay, which was named after Sir John Hope Simpson, first Commissioner for Natural Resources, is the logging headquarters of the Labrador development Co., pit-prop and pulpwood producers, who established here in 1934. At the peak 500 men are employed. 470 m. from St. Johnís. Kyle. 1 sawmill. 11 radios. Private wireless. PO.

 

††††††††††† PORTLAND.† Pop. 132. Lumbering-farming settlement at the mouth of Goose B., Bonavista B. South, beside Jamestown. 6 m. by road from Brooklyn. 4 sawmills. LT.

 

††††††††††† PORTLAND CREEK.† Pop. 39. Settlement about 45 m. north of Bonne B., about half-way between Bonne B. and Hawkeís Hr. Outstandingly noble scenery.

 

††††††††††† PORT NELSON.† Pop. 164. Fishing settlement next to Greenspond, Bonavista B. North. LT.

 

††††††††††† PORT REXTON.† Pop. 698. Inshore and Labrador fishing settlement, north side of Trinity B., between Trinity and Champneys. This area, Trinity to Champneys, is a beautiful and historic fishing section, augmented by farming. 1 sawmill. 20 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PORT ROYAL.† Pop. 111. Fishing-lobstering-herring settlement on west side of Placentia B., 2 m. from Hr. Buffett.

 

††††††††††† PORT SAUNDERS.† Pop. 336. A fishing-lobstering-lumbering settlement on the northern part of St. Barbe coast. Some furring is also carried on. Bowater Co. of Corner Brook employs 150 loggers cutting pit-props for export to G. Britain. 828 m. from St. Johnís, 148 from Humbermouth. Northern Ranger. 6 sawmills. Cottage Hosp. Dr. Michael LaSalle, M.H.O. Customs. 11 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† PORTUGAL COVE.† Pop. 816. An ancient fishing settlement on the south side of Conception B. Discovered in 1501 by the great Portuguese navigator Gaspar de Corte Real, and named by him in honour of his country. In 1696, when the French under DíIberville invaded Newfoundland, there were 3 dwellings. The first highway in Newfoundland was built in 1825 from St. Johnís to here, Portugal Cove becoming then increasingly the connecting link between the capital and most Conception B. settlements, the mail packet making Portugal Cove its terminus. Stationed here as Anglican clergyman in the 1840s was the Hon. And Rev. William Grey, father of the 9th Earl of Stamford, who was born in St. Johnís. Here also lived Tryphena (Fanny) Goff, daughter of a romantic couple whose story is one of the leading romances of Newfoundland. The Churchill family here is descended from the first Duke of Marlboroughís relatives. Portugal Cove is the mainland terminus for the Bell Island ferry steamer. The fishery has declined greatly in late years, though the salmon fishery is still fairly vigorously prosecuted each spring. Farming, gardening, poultry-raising are now the chief occupation of the people. 8 m. by paved highway from St. Johnís. 6 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† PORTUGAL COVE (South).† Pop. 231. Fishing settlement on the north-east side of Trepassey B.

 

††††††††††† PORT UNION.† Pop. 612. Situated in the north-west arm of Catalina Hr. or Bay, on the north side of Trinity B., this is the industrial and commercial headquarters of the Fishermenís Union Trading Company Ltd., Union Electric Light & Power Co., Fishermenís Union Publishing Co., and of the Fishermenís Protective Union of Newfoundland. Town founded 1914 by the late Sir William F. Coaker, founder and President of the Union and of all its associated commercial, industrial and political enterprises. The piers, buildings and dwellings are amongst the best in Newfoundland, and Port Union is regarded as one of the most convenient, commodious and modern fish-packing and exporting centres in the Island. There is a modern fish-curing plant. The founder, who died in 1938, is buried in an beautiful vault beside Congress Hall, the Unionís convention building. ďFishermenís AdvocateĒ is published weekly. 211 m. by rail from St. Johnís, 80 from Clarenville; 86 by water from St. Johnís. Customs. 57 radios. PT.

 

††††††††††† POUCH COVE.† Pop. 1095. An important fishing settlement 15 miles north of St. Johnís, 3 m. south of Cape St. Francis. Here in 1936 was established a fishermenís producer-consumer co-operative society, with a fine building erected by the voluntary labour of the several hundred members. 18 m. by highway from St. Johnís. 8 radios. POMO.

 

††††††††††† POUND COVE.† Pop. 287. Inshore and Labrador fishing settlement, north side of Bonavista B., between Wesleyville and Newtown. PO.

 

††††††††††† POUND COVE.† Pop. 45. Lumbering settlement about one-third the distance from the bottom of White Bay on the south side, just north of Westport.

 

††††††††††† POYNEíS COVE.† Pop. 40. Lobstering-fishing settlement just north of Flowers Cove, at the western end of the Strait of Belle Isle, St. Barbe coast.

 

††††††††††† PRESQUE.† Pop. 26. Fishing settlement in Placentia B.West, between Paradise Sound and St. Kyranís. Mentioned in the Newfoundland ballad ďThe Ryans and the Pittmans.Ē 2 radios. PO.

††††††††††† PRINCETON.† Pop. 287. An interesting farming-lumbering section on the south side of Bonavista B. where farming, poultry-raising and some fishing are carried on. Nearby are Southward B., Long beach and Charleston. 167 m. by rail from St. Johnís, 36 from Clarenville. 1 sawmill. R. Tel. 2 radios.

 

††††††††††† PROWSETOWN.† Pop. 42. Lumbering settlement in Placentia B. West, well toward the N.W. head of the bay. Named in honour of the great Newfoundland historian, the late Judge Daniel Woodley Prowse, D.C.L. Its original name was Sibleyís Cove. Then it was renamed Davidson after the Governor, and finally given its present name.

 

††††††††††† PUMBLEY COVE.† Pop. 41. Lumbering settlement on the south side of White Bay, just above Granby Island.

 

††††††††††† PURBECKíS COVE.† Pop. 39. Lumbering settlement on the south side of White Bay, just below Granby Island.

 

††††††††††† PURCELLíS HARBOUR.† Pop. 60. Fishing settlement on S. Twillingate Island, N.D.B. 2 sawmills.

 

††††††††††† PUSHTHROUGH.† Pop. 212. Fishing-lobstering settlement at the S.W. entrance to B. DíEspoir. 369 m. from Argentia, 154 from Port aux Basques. Burgeo. 3 sawmills. Nursing Cent. Customs. 9 radios. PT.

††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† -0-

 

 

Transcribed by Peter Godfrey (April 2003)

Recent Updates Contact Us


Search through the whole site
Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!
www.downhomer.com
by Downhomer.com
JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2016)