Register  *  Login  *  Forum  *  FAQ   

Board index » General » Introductions

Post subject: LEE/GROVES families from Harbour Grace/Carbonear
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:42 pm 

Hi, I'm Peg from the Boston area trying to find info on my paternal grandmother and great grandparents. For a long time they were my brick wall due to inaccurate family lore. My grandmother was MARGARET/MAGGIE LEE b. c1864-1869 in Harbour Grace to JAMES LEE b.Jan 1826 in Harbour Grace to James LEE of Carbonear (originally from IRELAND) and Mother unknown and AGNES/MARY AGNES GROVES b.Dec 1831 in Harbour Grace to ELIZABETH and JOHN GROVES, Roman Catholics from England. James and Agnes m. 15 Jan 1858 at St Patricks RC Church in Carbonear.
James and Agnes had six children in Harbour Grace before they immigrated to PEI in 1871 and there had their last child JANE ELIZABETH LEE b. 28 Nov. 1878/1879 in Charlottetown d. 1956 in Boston, Ma. 1956.
Born in Newfoundland to James and Agnes Lee
1. FANNIE LEE b.1858
2. AGNES LEE b. 1860-1862

Post subject: Re: LEE/GROVES families from Harbour Grace/Carbonear
 Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 9:43 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Here is a link to Carbonear R C Marriages;
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/st-pats- ... -car.shtml

There is a John Lee marries Mary Groves on 15 Jan 1857. Could possibly be the same ones you're looking for.

Here is a marriage for a John Groves and Elizabeth White;

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/ang-mar- ... 9-tb.shtml

Nov 1st

JOHN GROVES of the Parish of Harrington near Gravis? County of Dorset in Great Britain, and ELIZABETH, Dau’r of Thos. and Catherine WHITE of this Harbor. (Vide May 4th, 1794 Baptyzed)*

The above marriage was solemnized by us, John Groves and Elizabeth (X) White, (X) being her mark, in the presence of William (X) Burrage and John (X) Hodder, (X) being their marks.

Hope this helps

Post Posted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:02 pm 

Len, Thank you for your prompt reply. I will pursue these leads. Peg C

Post Posted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:33 pm 
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Not many RC records available before 1891;
Harbour Grace RC birth/bapt records 1866-1889
James and Agnes Lee
James John b. 21 Jan 1867, bapt. 21 Jan 1867 Harbour Grace
Helen b. Oct 1869, bapt. 10 Oct 1869 Harbour Grace
these are the only ones I found, I don't believe James John's birth date, a lot of the records are like that and some just have the month.

Cameron

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:58 pm 

Hi Len, I quite obviously do not know how to use this site yet. I wanted to thank you again for replying to my post. You are quite right about the marriage of John Lee and Mary Groves. That is them! Thank you. However, the John Groves and Elizabeth White marriage are the wrong parents. They did have a child names Mary in 1811 and Elizabeth died in 1812. The Mary Agnes/Mary Groves that I'm looking for parents for was born twenty years later, otherwise it looked perfect. Thanks for trying
Len wrote:
Here is a link to Carbonear R C Marriages;
http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/st-pats- ... -car.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is a John Lee marries Mary Groves on 15 Jan 1857. Could possibly be the same ones you're looking for.

Here is a marriage for a John Groves and Elizabeth White;

http://ngb.chebucto.org/Parish/ang-mar- ... 9-tb.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nov 1st

JOHN GROVES of the Parish of Harrington near Gravis? County of Dorset in Great Britain, and ELIZABETH, Dau’r of Thos. and Catherine WHITE of this Harbor. (Vide May 4th, 1794 Baptyzed)*

The above marriage was solemnized by us, John Groves and Elizabeth (X) White, (X) being her mark, in the presence of William (X) Burrage and John (X) Hodder, (X) being their marks.

Hope this helps

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:08 pm 

Hi,
Thanks for the info. I haven't had much luck at all. It is possible that James John was baptised the same day he was born but we'll take it as his baptismal date. Thanks again for your help and I'll keep hunting.

Peg C
cameha2 wrote:
Not many RC records available before 1891;
Harbour Grace RC birth/bapt records 1866-1889
James and Agnes Lee
James John b. 21 Jan 1867, bapt. 21 Jan 1867 Harbour Grace
Helen b. Oct 1869, bapt. 10 Oct 1869 Harbour Grace
these are the only ones I found, I don't believe James John's birth date, a lot of the records are like that and some just have the month.

Cameron

Post Posted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:17 pm 

Hi Len

Thank you for your help with my hunting. It's obvious I'm still learning how to use this site. Please see the posting I made today as I did not know how to reply properly. The marriage for John Lee and Mary Groves is definately the people I was looking for.

The marriage of John Groves and Elizabeth White happened twenty years too early to be the parents of my Mary/Mary Agnes Groves. Thank you for your effort. It took me a little time to realize this because it all looked so good. It's easy to see how people get following the wrong family.

Thank you again,

Peg C

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:31 am 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Here is their marriage in 1810.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... wc=5479533
They are No. 11 on the page. Twenty years after being married is not unusual ,from what I've seen, to have a child.Depending on the age of the mother when married . So it is quite possible that it could be them.

Hope this helps
Len

Post Posted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:41 pm 
Expert Member
Expert Member

Len wrote:
Here is their marriage in 1810.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... wc=5479533" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They are No. 11 on the page. Twenty years after being married is not unusual ,from what I've seen, to have a child.Depending on the age of the mother when married . So it is quite possible that it could be them.

Hope this helps
Len

Sorry , It's No. 4 on the page. There is no eleven.

Board index » General » Introductions