Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

How to report a possible transcription error

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.



Episcopal Visitation and Consecration of Church of the Holy Martyrs,
Port Union
(Originally published in the "The Diocesan Magazine", January, 1932, pp. 15-16)

Holy Martyrs Church, Port UnionOn Wednesday morning, November 4th, His Lordship the Bishop, accompanied by the Revs. R.F. Mercer, J.T. Hiscock, H. Gosse, W. Bugden, C.D.T. Sparshott, and the Chaplain, proceeded to Port Union for the consecration of the new Church there.

A half-holiday had been proclaimed for the occasion, and the town was en fete to welcome the Bishop and his party. The Church, the Trading Co.'s premises, the Congress Hall, and in fact practically every house were decorated with flags. At the main entrance to the Church a fine arch had been erected, bearing the motto, "Welcome." The interior of the Church was decorated with beautiful flowers: evidently the women as well as the men had done all possible to make their welcome a very real one.

Every available seat in the Church was occupied and many chairs were brought in to accommodate those who could not find a place in the regular Church seats. There were many visitors from Catalina and Bonavista. We were pleased to see that Canon Bayly was also able to be present, and sat in the Sanctuary. At 11 o'clock the Bishop, preceded by the clergy and the surpliced choir, proceeded to the west door, where they were met by Sir William Coaker, who, on behalf of the Church Wardens and Congregation, read the Petition to Consecrate. The Consecration Service was then begun. The Bishop and Clergy moving from Altar to Altar again, while over the Font, Lectern, Pulpit, Altar, Eucharistic Vessels, and the Church itself, His Lordship pronounced the holy words of Consecration. At the conclusion of the Consecration the Holy Communion was administered, the Bishop being the Celebrant. At the proper interval in this Service the Bishop delivered an address which all those privileged to hear will long remember. Taking as his text - "This is none other than the House of God, and this is the Gate of Heaven" - he paid public tribute to Sir W.F. Coaker for beginning, early in the history of Port Union, the construction of a house for the worship of God, and then continued to show what the Church should mean to its people in any community.

History of the Church

The Church of the Holy Martyrs was begun as the result of a meeting held by eleven Churchmen, and presided over by Sir W.F. Coaker, in August, 1918. At that meeting some $2,000.00 were subscribed -

    Sir W. F. Coaker $1,000.00
    Charles Bryant 200.00
    J. H. Scammell 150.00
    Jesse Brown 50.00
    John Gardner (deceased) 100.00
    Stephen Hancock (deceased) 50.00
    John Purchase (deceased) 35.00
    Joseph Mercer 50.00
    Edmund Butler 50.00
    Leonard Brett 50.00
    Peter Carter (deceased) 100.00

A start was made with the building the next summer. It was opened first for Divine Worship on Sunday, December 19th, 1920, the late Rev. Canon Lockyer and the late Rev. G.S. Chamberlain officiating. It is named the Church of the Holy Martyrs in honour of those soldiers who fell on the field of battle during the war as Coaker recruits, and each stained glass window in the building bears the name of a fallen hero and the date when he fell in battle, thus commemorating his sacrifice.

Names of those to whose memory windows in Church of Holy Martyrs at Port Union are dedicated:-

  • Corp. W.J. Stratton, died of wounds, March 3rd, 1918, aged 22 years.
  • Pte. Albert E. Quinton, died at Jensen Camp, June 27th, 1917, aged 18 years.
  • Pte. Adolphus Locke, died at Pilley's Island, November 3rd, 1918, aged 21 years.
  • Pte. Dol. J. Stuckless, died of wounds, November 19th, 1918, aged 19 years.
  • Pte. Fred. J. White, killed in action, December 3rd, 1917, aged 24 years.
  • Pte. E. Froude, died of wounds, October 14th, 1919, aged 25 years.
  • Pte. Pierce Parsons, died of wounds, August 16th, 1918, aged 22 years.
  • Pte. Neville Samson, killed in action, December 3rd, 1917, aged 19 years.
  • Pte. H.H. Pittman, killed in action, December 3rd, 1917, aged 21 years.
  • Corp. William Coaker Christian, died of wounds, in France, October 26th, 1917, aged 20 years.

The Reredos and Altar were presented by Sir W.F. Coaker in memory of his parents.

The pulpit was presented by the late H. Crowe, of Toronto.

The bell, by Mrs. Collishaw, of Halifax, in memory of her mother, Mrs. Puddington.

All the furniture of the Church is of beautiful polished oak, and shows that those responsible realized that the best was not too good for the House of God.

After the Service, His Lordship the Bishop, Revs. Hiscock, Mercer, and Sparshott, lunched with Sir William at the Bungalow, and Revs. Gosse, Bugden, and the Chaplain, were the guests of Mr. and Mrs. H.A. Dawe.

In the afternoon Sir William very graciously placed his car at the Bishop's disposal, and the Episcopal party returned to Catalina, en route to St. John's and their respective parishes.

We noticed that night that Port Union was specially illuminated in honour of the great red letter day in its history...

H. Torraville,

Additional information

Transcribed by James Butler, 1999

Return to Index


Recent Updates Contact Us

Search through the whole site
Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!
JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2016)