To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
List of Salvation Army located in Harbor Main District:
The following gives a capsulated account of our history:
A LOVE STORY
· The story of The Salvation Army in Newfoundland and Labrador is a love story that began with a honeymoon - 112 years ago.
· Captain Emma Churchill, formerly a Newfoundlander married Charles W. Dawson.
· August 31, 1885 notice in The Evening Telegram (Local Paper) " Gospel services tomorrow in Victoria Hall 8:30 a.m. 3:00 p.m. 8:15 p.m. Salvation Army workers will take part in services.
· Dawson continued to promote Army's work until end of December.
· January 31, 1886, Staff Captain Young arrived St. John's to officially "Open Fire." RAPID GROWTH 1886
· January - Open air Meeting, Parade Street, St. John's Newfoundland
· February - First Corps opened, St. John's # 1 - 200 Soldiers
· April - Opened work in Brigus and Carbonear
· December - Salvation Army commenced work in Twillingate Note: Fisherman and sealers (5000 annually) saw The Salvation Army in St. John's and many returned to their small outport communities and started Meetings. 1894
· 25 Corps (Churches) established in Newfoundland
· Two Training Garrisons - (Where Officers were trained and commissioned)
· 2092 members now claimed The Salvation Army as their church home
· Commencement of Social Work - Rescue Home For Girls was established. It was called "The Anchorage" - opened in St. John's
All records prior to the Corps opening in Long Pond would be held at the above address. Before the opening of the S.A. in Long Pond, the congregation travelled to St. John's for the services.
Contributed By: Barbara McGrath
Page Revised: July 2002 (Don Tate)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)