To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Old Non-Demominational Cemetery
|This old cemetery (referred to in earlier times as the South Side Burial Ground) has been more recently dubbed as the Ferryland Old Non-Denominational Cemetery. It was used as the common burial ground for all religions in this area in the 18th and 19th centuries. It is located in town of Ferryland on a slope overlooking the isthimus and roadway which leads to Ferryland Lighthouse. One of the earliest surviving headstones is dated 1770, but in 1749 a Ferryland Court record mentions this specific location. It was recorded that on September 8th of that year, John White was "granted land near Burrying [sic] Ground and path to Gays" [sic]. The Gaze, which rises steeply to an elevation of 73 meters (239 feet) overlooks Ferryland Harbour, The Downs, Ferryland Head, and the seaward entrances of Calvert to the north and Aquaforte to the south. It appears that this common burial ground was initally used by all settlements from Brigus South to Aquaforte. As can be seen from the photo, there are very few visible markers/headstones remaining; many gravesites being just marked with large flat stones.|
Photographed and Copyrighted by Craig Peterman (2005)
Information shown in [red] provided by transcribers or district coordinator.
|Bennett||N. C.||21 June 1942|
|Carter||Harriette Louisa||Dec. 26th 1870||1 Year 6 Mths.||daughter of Robert and [Sarah]; [NOTE:- the words of what appears to be Petherbridge, Devon are located at the bottom of this headstone]|
|Carter||Mary Louise||Aug. 27th 1907||66 Years||William Thomas Skinner|
|William Thomas Skinner||Sept. 6th 1908||77 Years||Mary Louise|
|Carter||Sarah||Septr 2nd 1762||June 4th 1772||daughter to Robert and Ann, [This headstone is currently located at the Old Historic Ferryland Museum]|
|Condon||Patrick||March 1840?||47 Years||Both Natives of the County Kilkenny Ireland
[Click Patrick's supposed year of death for additional information]
|Catherine||July 6th 1847||44 Years|
|Culliton||James||Dec. 11, 1813||18 Years|
|Hanrahan||Edmund||Feb. 13th 1875||73 Years||[Father]|
|Edmund||May 27th 1865||27 Years||[Son]|
|Kearney||Michael||Feb. 22, 1831||36 Years|
|Meagher||Joanna||Apriil 13th 1815|| Years||Thomas|
|[Meagher]||[Thomas]||[Thomas Meagher, died 3 February 1840 73 Years]|
|Morrissy||Wm||April 26th 1816||78 Years||Erected by Thomas Morrissy of Carrick on Suir|
|Morry||Mary||August 8th 1870||39 Years||Henry||Erected by Henry Morry|
|Morry||Henry||August 11 1897||76 Years|
|Arthur||1898||28 Years||also his brother [died in Montreal; generally believed to have died in 1887 at age 20, not 1898 aged 28 as shown on headstone: -as per Chris Morry]|
|Frederick||March 1890||29 Years||
also his brother, Lost at Sea [the transcription for Frederick is included here but is not visible in our photo of the headstone, as it is currently below ground level]
|Power||Mary||June 15th 1870||29 Years||Michael|
|Saunders||William||April 1770||22 Years||Eldest son of William & Eleanor|
from Headstones photographed
by Craig Peterman (2005)
and some [data] gathered by NLGS, Jane Dowd & Roberta Sullivan (1990's)
also some corrections by Chris Morry (2012) and Kevin Reddigan (2014)
Page Last Updated October 24, 2016 (Kevin Reddigan)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2017)