Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of John Wickford
from Newfoundland will books volume 7 pages 481 to 484 probate year 1905
In re the Estate of John Wickford deceased
This is the last will and Testament of me John Wickford of Saint John's in the Island of Newfoundland wharfinger.
- I direct that all my just debts be first paid out of my estate.
- I give devise and bequeath to my daughter Margaret Hayes of Saint John's wife of Richard Hayes of Saint John's aforesaid Cooper absolutely and for ever for her sole and separate use and benefit the following pieces or parcels of land tenements and dwelling houses namely those pieces or parcels of land with the buildings thereon situate on Goodview Street in Saint John's aforesaid and at present leased to or in the occupancy of William Bussey Patrick Curran and one Eagan(?) Elizabeth Evoy Jeremiah King Thomas Murphy John Snow John Bradbury Mary Oliver Simon Kavanagh and William Squires. Also that piece or parcel of land with all buildings thereon situate on Wickford Street in Saint John's aforesaid at present occupied by Joseph Whitten and John Kehoe. Also that piece or parcel of leasehold land with the buildings thereon situate on Wickford street aforesaid and at present in the occupancy of Edward Kelly, also those two tenement houses land and premises situate on Wickford Street aforesaid at present in the occupancy of John Cunningham and James Thompson, also those two pieces or parcels of land with all buildings thereon situate on Carters Hill in Saint John's aforesaid and leased to Elisha Benson and Edward Coleman.
- I give devise and bequeath to my daughter Sarah Lannigan wife of John Lannigan of Saint John's aforesaid wharfinger for ever for her sole and separate use and benefit (subject nevertheless to the charge hereinafter mentioned) the following pieces or parcels of land tenements and premises namely those pieces or parcels of land dwelling houses and premises situate on Wickford Street aforesaid and at present in the occupancy of James Badstock and William Codner Leonard Rose and Henry James one Thorne Mrs. Robert Keefe and James Curran also the dwelling house and premises now occupied by me situate on Wickford Street aforesaid. Also those two tenements and premises situate on Wickford Street aforesaid one of which is now in the occupancy of Richard Costello the other being at present unoccupied subject nevertheless to the following charge namely the payment of all ground rents now or hereafter payable or to become payable in respect or on account of all my leasehold lands and property situate in Saint John's aforesaid including those portions thereof hereinbefore devised and bequeathed to Margaret Hayes less the sum of twenty dollars per annum which sum of twenty dollars per annum is to be paid by the said Margaret Hayes towards said ground rents and I will and direct that the payment of the said ground rents (less the said yearly sum of twenty dollars to be paid by the said Margaret Hayes as aforesaid) shall be a first charge upon the said lands and tenements hereinbefore devised and bequeathed to the said Sarah Lannigan and upon the rents profits and issues thereof.
- I give and bequeath to the said Margaret Hayes all my household furniture except the bed and bedding now used by my housekeeper Mary Connifort.
- I give and bequeath to the said Mary Connifort if she should be living with me at the time of my death but not otherwise the bed and bedding now used by her and the sum of one hundred dollars.
- I give and bequeath to the church of England Bishop of Newfoundland the sum of $100.00 to be applied towards the restoration of the church of England Cathedral in Saint John's.
- I give and bequeath to Edward Brennan of Saint John's farmer all my wearing apparel.
- I give and bequeath to John Brennan son of the said Edward Brennan my watch.
- I give devise and bequeath all the rest residue and remainder of my moneys goods property estate and effects to the said Margaret Hayes and Sarah Lannigan in equal shares.
- I will and direct that the expenses of my funeral be borne by the said Margaret Hayes.
- I appoint Frederick Hayward of Saint John's accountant and James Warren of the same place Hardware Dealer executors of this my will.
In witness whereof I have set my hand to this my will at Saint John's aforesaid this tenth day of July Anno Domini one thousand eight hundred and ninety six John his X mark Wickford
Signed (by making his mark) Published and declared by the said testator as and for his last will and testament in our presence who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other all present at the same time have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses the same having been previously read over and explained to the said testator and approved of by him)
W.O.D. Kelly W.E. Wood.
I certify the foregoing to be a correct copy of the last will and testament of the said John Wickford deceased.
D. M. Browning
(Listed in the Margin next to this will the following)
on the 15th day of
May A.D. 1905
|Note: The wills in those will books are NOT actual wills. They are hand-written copies of a, "last will and testament," written by the court clerk, after the death of the testator, when the executor presented them to the court for probate. The court clerk didn't list the signatures at the bottom, he (or she) just put them in the book in whatever order they were in, on the original document, no spacing most of the time, no punctuation. The originals were kept by the executor. |
We who have typed these wills, have made every effort to include all the errors that were on the microfilm, in order to avoid destroying the integrity of the originals, where ever they may be.
Page contributed by Judy Benson and Ivy F. Benoit
REVISED BY: Ivy F. Benoit May 16, 2002
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2016)
Your Community, Online!