Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of Thomas Whiffen
from the Newfoundland will books volume 10 pages 11 & 12 probate year 1913
In re THOMAS WHIFFEN deceased.
Know all men that I Thomas Whiffen Senr of the town of Bonavista in the Island of Newfoundland Fisherman being of sound and disposing mind and memory do make and publish this my last will and testament.
- I hereby appoint my son Daniel to be my executor of this my last will directing him to pay all my just and lawful debts funeral and testamentary expenses out of my estate as soon as conveniently may be after my decease.
- After the payment of my said debts funeral and testamentary expense I give devise and bequeath all my real and personal estate which I may now or hereafter be possessed of or interested in, in the manner following that is to say
- I give devise and bequeath to my son Daniel my dwelling house in which I now reside and also my dwelling house at the Cape Shore his heirs and assigns forever, also a piece of land of about two acres situated near Ked(?) Cove Marsh to him his heirs and assigns forever.
- all the residue of my estate both personal and real consisting of one piece of Marsh land situated near Alexander Haywards one piece known as the big Garden and one piece known as the Hill garden also two meadows at Cape Shore Fishing room flake stage and store and land in connection therewith to be divided equally among my three sons Frederick, Herbert and Daniel their heirs and assigns forever.
- I also direct that my son Herbert may have the use of my Cape Shore House with Daniel until such time as he is able to get a house for himself I also direct that my sons Frederick and Herbert are to have the use of my store and cellar with Daniel until they get one for themselves then the store and cellar to become the property of Daniel
- I also direct and request my son Daniel that he is to support my three daughters Emily, Beatrice and Lucy as long as they remain single
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this Eighteenth day of March in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and seven. - Thomas his X mark Whiffen (LS) -
Signed Published and declared by the said Thomas Whiffen the testator as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us both present together at the same time in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses to the due execution thereof Edmund Kase H. J. Dwyers
D. M. Browning
(Listed in the Margin next to this will the following)
|Note: The wills in those will books are NOT actual wills. They are hand-written copies of a, "last will and testament," written by the court clerk, after the death of the testator, when the executor presented them to the court for probate. The court clerk didn't list the signatures at the bottom, he (or she) just put them in the book in whatever order they were in, on the original document, no spacing most of the time, no punctuation. The originals were kept by the executor. |
We who have typed these wills, have made every effort to include all the errors that were on the microfilm, in order to avoid destroying the integrity of the originals, where ever they may be.
Page contributed by Judy Benson and Ivy F. Benoit
REVISED BY: Ivy F. Benoit July 8, 2002
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)
Your Community, Online!