Will of Solomon Skanes
from Newfoundland will books volume 11 pages 571 & 572 probate year 1921
In re Solomon Skanes deceased
The last Will and Testament of Solomon Skanes. I Solomon Skanes of Bell Island in the Island of Newfoundland being of sound mind memory and understanding do make my last Will and Testament in manner and form following
- FIRST. I give, devise, and bequeath, to my wife, Esther Skanes, my dwelling house and all that piece and parcel of land on which dwelling house is situated and adjoining and measuring three quarters of an acre. At the death of my wife, aforesaid, this property viz dwelling house land to go to my youngest son, Edward Silas Skanes.
- 2ndly. I give, devise, and bequeath, to my second son, Robert James, all that piece and parcel of land known as "The Brook Meadow": measuring about one acre more or less.
- 3rdly. I give, devise, and bequeath, to my eldest son Randell, and to my youngest son Edward Silas, to share and share alike, all that piece and parcel of land known as "The Lower Meadow" measuring about two acres more or less.
- 4thly. I give, devise and bequeath, to my three sons Randall, Robert James, and Edward Silas to share and share alike all that piece and parcel of land known as "The Lower Marsh" Meadow or "Bowdrings Hill" measuring about five acres.
- 5thly. I give, devise, and bequeath, to my wife Esther Skanes, aforesaid, that small piece and parcel of land situate at the Beach and known as "The Beach Garden" measuring about one eighth of an acre more or less.
- 6thly. I give, devise, and bequeath to my three sons aforesaid to share and share alike, my fishing store, built on land rented from William Normore situate at the Beach for which land I pay two dollars and fifty cents per year. Also all my fishing great including Caplin Sceine, small boat and half of boat owned by me and James Bowdring, also one quarter of fishing stage owned by James Bowdring Patrick Bowdring, George Normore and the Testator.
- 7thly. I give, devise, and bequeath, to my wife Esther Skanes, aforesaid, to be held in trust for my three sons aforesaid until the time of her death or remarriage, all my cattle consisting of thirteen sheep, and one horse. After the death of my wife, aforesaid, all cattle then in her possession to be divided between my three sons to share and share alike.
- 8thly. I give, devise and bequeath to my three sons aforesaid my stable, two pairs of wheels, 2 plow, and all my farming implements to be used and owned by them severally and individually; but not to be divided among them.
- 9thly. I give, devise, and bequeath, my money deposited in the Newfoundland Savings Bank amounting to Seven hundred and twenty one dollars as follows: -
To my wife Esther Skanes, Four hundred dollars,
to my son Randell One hundred dollars,
to my son Robert James One hundred dollars,
to my son Edward Silas One hundred dollars,
to my adopted daughter Alfreda Skanes Twenty one dollars.
All the above to be divided on condition that my wife and three sons, aforesaid, first provide me with a tombstone costing not less than Fifty Dollars each paying equal parts.
- 10thly. I hereby appoint Revd. J. Stead as my Executor.
In witness whereof I, Solomon Skanes, the Testator, have to this my last Will and Testament, set my hand and my seal this sixth day of December in the year of Our Lord One thousand nine hundred and Seventeen. Solomon his X mark Skanes
Signed sealed and declared by the above named, Solomon Skanes, as and for his last Will and Testament in the presence of us, who have hereunto subscribed our names, at his request, as witnesses thereto in presence of the said Testator and of each other Rev. J. Stead Bell Island John Dwyer Bell Isle
William F. Lloyd
Registrar of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland
(Listed in the margin next to this will the following)
Fiat Jan 27/21
to Rev. John Stead
Estate Sworn at