To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of John Scanes
LAST WILL AND TESTAMENT OF JOHN SCANES.
This is to Certify that I, John Scanes, of St. John’s, Newfoundland, being of sound mind and memory, do make this my last Will and Testament.
(1) I give and bequeath to my wife, Mary Leah Scanes (nee Monckton) for the whole period of her natural life, the House and Land owned and occupied by me on Lakeview Avenue, St. John’s East, bounded on the West by road leading to Quidi Vidi Lake, on the south by property of Mrs John Roberts, on the East by property of Mr. Peter Summers, and on the North by that of Mr. Robert Earle.
(2) I also give and bequeath to the said Mary Leah Scanes all that piece or parcel of land, 246 feet by 86 feet, on the West side of the said Avenue, bounded on the West by Mr. J. S. Curnews property, and on the South by that of Mr. James Chalker.
(3) I also give and bequeath to the aid Mary Leah Scanes all the furniture and fittings of the said House, she to have and to hold the same during the whole of her natural life: And on her death the said furniture and fittings, and all the other property then in her possession (except the House itself and the Piano therein - the former of which I give and bequeath to my daughter Mary Leah Margaret Scanes, and the latter to my daughter Isabel Scanes) to be sold, the proceeds of which sale to be equally divided between the said Mary Leah Margaret Scanes and the said Isabel Scanes.
(4) The whole of my money, $1.450 (One Thousand Four Hundred and Fifty Dollars) I leave and bequeath to my wife the said Mary Leah Scanes, which money or any portion thereof that may remain after her death, to be equally divided between my two daughters, the said Mary Lean Margaret Scanes and the said Isabel Scanes.
(5) I appoint W.A.M. MacKay, Esq., and Curnew, Esq., of St. John’s, Newfoundland, Executors of this my last Will and Testament.
(6) In witness whereof I, the said John Scanes, set my hand and Seal this day of A.D. One Thousand Nine Hundred and Twenty Two.
Signed, Sealed and delivered by the said John Scanes, as and for his last Will and Testament, in presence of us who, in his presence, and in the presence of each and other, and at his request, have hereto subscribed our names as witnesses.
W.A. MacKay. John S. Curnew.
(Listed in the margin next to this will the following)
Page Contributed by Judy Benson & Ivy F. Benoit
Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday February 20, 2013)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2016)