Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of John Ryan
from Newfoundland will books volume 7 pages 456 & 457 probate year 1905
In re the Estate of John Ryan deceased
In the name of God Amen This is the last will and testament of me John Ryan of St. John's Planter.
- First I will and desire that my executor hereinafter appointed shall pay all my just debts funeral and Testamentary expenses.
- Second I will devise and bequeath to my son Patrick Ryan the dwelling house in which I now reside situate on the north side of Plank road in St. John's aforesaid together with all the household furniture therein.
- Third I devise and bequeath to my son James Ryan my old house situate on the Plank road aforesaid immediately to the eastward of my said dwelling house.
- Fourth I will and bequeath to my two son Patrick and James all the land I now possess situate on Plank road aforesaid, at the Cross roads River head St. John's and the land situate on the south side of the Topsail road share and share alike,
- Fifth I give devise and bequeath to my said son James my fishing room and property situate at Griffins Harbor Labrador for his sole use and benefit.
- Sixth I hereby constitute and appoint my said son Patrick Ryan executor of this my last will and testament.
- Lastly I hereby revoke and declare void all other or past wills and paper writings that may have been made by me.
In witness whereof I have hereunto my hand set and subscribed at St. John's aforesaid this 16th day of January Anno Domini eighteen hundred and ninety nine
John his X mark Ryan
Signed published and declared by the said Testator as and for his last will and testament in our presence who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto our hands subscribed as witnesses thereto having been first read over and explained to testator. William D. Lane. Frank J. Morris.
I certify the foregoing to be a correct copy of the last will and testament of John Ryan deceased
D. M. Browning
(Listed in the margin next to this will the following)
the 1st day
of April A.D.
|Note: The wills in those will books are NOT actual wills. They are hand-written copies of a, "last will and testament," written by the court clerk, after the death of the testator, when the executor presented them to the court for probate. The court clerk didn't list the signatures at the bottom, he (or she) just put them in the book in whatever order they were in, on the original document, no spacing most of the time, no punctuation. The originals were kept by the executor. |
We who have typed these wills, have made every effort to include all the errors that were on the microfilm, in order to avoid destroying the integrity of the originals, where ever they may be.
Page contributed by Judy Benson, Wendy Weller and Ivy Benoit
REVISED BY: Ivy F. Benoit May 2, 2002
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)
Your Community, Online!