Will of Andrew Roberts
from Newfoundland will books volume 12 pages 230 & 231 probate year 1922
In re ANDREW ROBERTS. DECEASED
I, Andrew Roberts of Twillingate in the Northern District of the Island of Newfoundland, being of sound mind memory, and understanding, do make this my last will and testament in manner and form following;
- FIRST: I give and devise to my son George Roberts all my property situate at Twillingate North Side, on the West side of Main Road opposite my waterside premises, and consisting of Dwelling house out houses and land.
- SECOND. I give and devise to my two sons Andrew Roberts and Francis Roberts my waterside premises situate at Twillingate North side, on the East side of the Main Road, and now occupied by William Ashbourne, said premises consisting of shop store, wharf land and any other erections thereon, to be equally owned by them. If, however, either of my sons, Andrew Roberts or Francis wish to sell his interest in this property then he is to give his brother the first chance to purchase.
- THIRD. I give and devise unto my two daughters Mary Philips and Lavinia Roberts all the furniture and chattles in my dwelling house at the time of my death with the exception of a side board which is to be given to Mrs. Matthew Young, South Side, to be equally divided between them.
- FOURTH. I give and devise unto my two sons Andrew Roberts and Francis Roberts all the property in the little Store and all my tools, in equal shares.
- FIFTH. I give and bequeath unto my daughters Mary Philips and Lavinia Roberts and my daughter in law Emily Roberts the sum of Two hundred dollars each ($200) to my daughter in law Lucy Roberts the sum of One hundred dollars ($100). The remainder of my money goes to my Grandchildren and Great grandchildren in the proportion that each Grandchild is to have twice as much as each Great grandchild.
- SIXTH. All the rest residue and remainder of my property real and personal I give devise and bequeath unto my son Francis Roberts.
- And Lastly I hereby appoint Charles White, Notary Public, executor of this my last will and testament.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twelfth day of November A.D. 1917. ANDREW ROBERTS SR.
Signed in the presence of MARTIN PHILLIPS MATTHIAS ANSTEY
CODICIL TO ABOVE WILL.
I, Andrew Roberts of Twillingate do make and declare this to be a Codicil to my last Will and Testament which bears date the twelfth day of November A. D. 1917.
Whereas I have in my said will Section I given and devised to my son George Roberts, my property situate at Twillingate North Side, West side of Main Road, opposite my waterside premises, consisting of Dwelling house out houses land. And whereas the dispensation of Providence, my said son George Roberts has died on the 12th day of July A. D. 1920. Now, I do give and devise unto my son Francis Roberts, the part devised and given to my late son George Roberts, as contained in Section I of my said will, for his absolute use.
In all other respects I confirm my said will.
In witness whereof, I hereunto place my hand this 13th day of October A. D. 1920. ANDREW ROBERTS
Signed in the presence of C WHITE ETHEL MOORES
I, Andrew Roberts of Twillingate do make and declare this to be my second Codicil to my last Will and Testament which bears date 12th day of November 1917 & Codicil which bears date 13 day of October A. D. 1920.
I do now make the following alteration in Section 5 of my will whereas I did bequeath certain money to my Great grandchildren I do by this Codicil limit it to my Grandchildren only and hereby add as second executor my son Francis Roberts. I also give the money due me on the Methodist Parsonage to the North Side Trustee for the use of North Side Methodist Church.
In witness whereof I hereunto set my hand this 30th day of January 1922. ANDREW his X mark ROBERTS
Signed in the presence of ARTHUR COLBOURNE C WHITE
William F. Lloyd
Registrar of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland
(Listed in the Margin next to this will the following)
Fiat July 10/22
to Charles White