Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of John Power
from Newfoundland will books volume 3 pages 267 to 270 probate year 1872
John Power deceased.
I John Power of Greenville House in the county of Kilkenny Gentleman make this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former and other wills and testamentary dispositions heretofore made by me I give and bequeath the following legacies that is to say
- To my brother Maurice Power of Halifax Nova Scotia the sum of £4000
- To my sister Anne Shortis wife of Thomas Shortis also of Halifax for her sole and separate use for life and after her death among her children as she shall by deed or will appoint otherwise equally the sum of £1800
- To Mary Griffin daughter of my said sister Anne Shortis £200
- To Johanna Prendergast niece of my late wife the sum of £1000 the same to be payable on her attaining the age of twenty one years or day of marriage whichever shall first happen but the interest thereof I wish to be applied for her support and maintenance while under age and unmarried
- To Edmond Power my stepbrother of Lismasmetheen in the County of Waterford £300
- To Bridget Prendergast mother of the said Johanna Prendergast £300
- To Johanna Mullally sister of my late wife £250
- To my nephew William Power now living with me £300
- To my nephew Edmond Power now residing at St. John’s Newfoundland £200
- To Robert Power son of my said stepbrother Edmond Power £150
- To Walter Power son of the last named Edmond Power £150
- To Mary Power daughter of the last named Edmond Power £200.
- To Ellen Prendergast my late wife’s niece now living in Newfoundland £100.
- To Mrs. Shea widow of my late wife’s brother the late James Shea for the use of herself and her children and to be payable on her own receipt the sum of £100.
- To Margaret Shea stepsister of my said wife £30.
- To Catherine Shea also a sister of my said wife £30.
- To James Burris Labourer in recognition of his faithful services £16
- To Jeremiah Calahan my Ploughman £8.
- To Edmond Morris or the President for the time being at my decease of the Benevolent Irish Society at St. John’s aforesaid for the use of such Society £50.
- To the Treasurer for the time being at my decease of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul at St. John’s aforesaid for the use of such Society £50.
- To the Superiores of the four several Roman Catholic Convents at St. John’s aforesaid to be divided equally between them for the benefit of the Convents over which they respectively preside the sum of £200.
- To Bridget Duggan Spinster niece of my late wife £300.
- To the Right Reverend Dr. Power the Roman Catholic Bishop of St. John’s aforesaid or to the Roman Catholic Bishop there at my decease to be applied for Masses for the repose of the souls of myself and my late wife and all my friends £200.
- To the Right Reverend Dr. O’Brien Roman Catholic Bishop of Waterford or the Roman Catholic Bishop there at my decease to be applied in Masses for the like purposes £200.
- To the said Right Reverend Dr. Power for the maintenance of St. Patrick’s Church at St. John’s Newfoundland £100.
- To the Reverend Daniel Brennan Parish Priest of Kilmacow as a mark of my esteem for him £25.
- To the said Daniel Brennan for a High Mass and office for myself and my late wife the sum of £20. and for the building and repairing of the Roman Catholic Chapel at Kilmacow a further sum of £80.
- To the Reverend Thomas O’Connor of Portugal Cove Newfoundland £30
- To Catherine Mahar wife of William Mahar of St. John’s aforesaid as a small token of friendship £20.
- To Mrs. Gallway the Superiores of the Sisters of Charity Lady Lane Waterford or other the Superioress for the time being at my decease for the use of the said Sisters of Charity the sum of £30.
- To the said Mrs. Gallway or other the Superiores of the Sisters of Charity aforesaid for the use of St. Martin’s Orphanage the sum of £30.
- To James Aloysus Hoare Thomas Joseph Hearne and Richard Anthony Maxwell all of North Richmond Street in the City of Dublin for the use of the Christian Brothers Schools at Mount Sion Waterford the sum of £50.
- To Mrs. Anne Marie Thebault the Superiores of the Little Sisters of the Poor Waterford or other the Superiores for the time being at my decease for the use of their Institution £30.
- To my cousin Michael Coady of Earlsgrove Knocktopher in the County of Kilkenny £50
- I direct my executors hereinafter named to expend in my funeral expenses and in a solemn High Mass at my interment and in erecting a tomb stone or monument and enclosure to mark the spot where my remains may rest a sum not exceeding the sum of £150.
- In addition to the sum of one hundred pounds given to the said Ellen Prendergast I further give and bequeath to her absolutely and for ever all my property and interest in the house wharf and stores at Newfoundland for which John Bond pays me rent
- I give devise and bequeath unto my godson John Power son of my said nephew Edmond Power of St. John’s Newfoundland absolutely and for ever the dwelling house and premises at St. John’s aforesaid now occupied by William Coghlan I desire that my executors shall not sell out or disturb the eighteen Union Bank shares at St. John’s but hold same so far as their value extends in part payment of the legacy to my said sister Anne Shortis and pay her the dividends thereon.
- I forgive my said nephew Edmond Power whatever he may owe me at the time of my decease I desire that the excess or residue of my property when realized shall be applied and distributed between my said several pecuniary legatees proportionate to their several pecuniary legacies
- I hereby appoint James Kent of the city of Waterford Merchant his son Robert Kent of St. John’s Newfoundland Solicitor The reverend Daniel Brennan P.P. of Kilmacow and the Reverend George Commins of Waterford R.C.C. executors and Trustees of this my will and to each of said executors that will act I give and bequeath the sum of fifty pounds
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my seal this fourth day of February in the year of our Lord one thousand eight hundred and seventy two.
John Power (Seal) Signed sealed published and declared by the said testator as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses- Robert Dobbyn, Solr, Waterford, 4/2/72.
Archd S. McCoy Solrs Appce Waterford.
D. M. Browning
Note: The wills in those will books are NOT actual wills. They are either hand-written copies or in later years typed copies of a, "last will and testament," written or typed by the court clerk, after the death of the testator, when the executor presented them to the court for probate. The court clerk didn't list the signatures at the bottom, he (or she) just put them in the book in whatever order they were in, on the original document, no spacing most of the time, no punctuation. The originals were kept by the executor.
We who have typed these wills, have made every effort to include all the errors that were on the microfilm, in order to avoid destroying the integrity of the originals, where ever they may be.
Page Contributed by Judy Benson & Ivy F. Benoit
Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday February 20, 2013)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)
Your Community, Online!