Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of Spyridion Mavrojani, from Newfoundland will books volume 15 pages 189 to 193 probate year 1930
IN RE. DECEASED
I Spyridion Mavrojani of Clyro Court Clyro in the county of Radnor Barrister at Law hereby revoke all testamentary instruments heretofore made by me and declare this to be my last will.
- I appoint Alexander Pandia R alli of 18 Hans Court Hans Road in the county of London Esquire Malcolm Rucker Aird of Woolton House Newbury in the county of Berke Esquire J. P. and George Michael Mavrogardato of 5 Great Winchester Street in the city of London Esquire EXECUTORS of this my will.
- I bequeath to my wife Dorothy Mavrojani (A) The sum of five thousand pounds to be paid to her out of the first moneys coming to the hands of my executors.
(b) All my watches jewels guns fishing rods wearing apparel and other articles of personal use or ornament and all my furniture plate plated articles linen china glass books collections of stamps and coins pictures prints musical instruments and all other the contents belonging to me at the date of my death of Clyro Court or other my then residence and also all my carriages motor cars motor car accessories saddlery harness and stable and garage furniture live and dead stock tools implements and utensils and plants which at the time of my death shall be in or about or belonging to or appropriated for Clyro Court or other my residence as aforesaid and in or about or belonging to or appropriated for the stables coachhouses outbuildings gardens and pleasure grounds thereto belonging.
(c) My leasehold messuage situate and being Number 14 Oxford Square in the county of London for all the residue which shall be unexpired at my decease of the term for which the said premises are holden the said Dorothy Mavrojani her executors administrators and assigns paying the rent reserved by and performing and observing at her and their own expense the covenants and conditions contained in the lease under which the said premises are holden and keeping my general estate indemnified in respect thereof.
- And whereas my mother Alexandra Mavrojani by her will dated the twenty third day of March one thousand nine hundred and seven bequeathed (inter alia) the SUM of two thousand pounds to each of her grandchildren living at her death who being a male should attain the age of twenty one years or being a female should attain that age or marry under that age and whereas my said mother died on the eleventh day of February one thousand nine hundred and eight and on that date I had four daughters living each of whom will if she lives to attain the age of twenty one years or marries under that age becomes entitled to the sum of two thousand pounds in accordance with such bequest by my said mother Now I hereby bequeath the sum of two thousand pounds (free of legacy duty) to each child of mine born subsequent to the said eleventh day of February one thousand nine hundred and eight who being a son shall attain the age of twenty one years or being a daughter shall attain that age or marry under that age and I hereby declare that the bequest hereinbefore contained shall be in addition to the share which each of my children born after the said eleventh day of February one thousand nine hundred and eight will take in my residuary estate.
- I bequeath to the several persons next hereinafter named for their respective lives the several annuities which follow their respective names (that is to say)
(a) to (Mrs) Maniachi of Corfu thirty pounds a year.
(b) to Miss Lascari of Corfu twenty four pounds a year
(c) to Kate Kelleher fifty pounds a year.
(d) to (Mrs) Emily Tulip forty pounds a year.
(e) to Sarah Paradell of 18 Park Road Worthing ten shillings per week.
And I direct that the said annuities shall be paid (free of income tax legacy duty or any other deduction) on the days and so far as possible in the same manner as they shall respectively have been paid prior to my death the first payment in each case to be a full payment and not a proportionate payment as from the date of my death.
- And I bequeath all the rest of my estate and effects and I appoint all moneys funds stocks and securities over which I may have a general power of appointment to the said Alexander Pandia Nalli Malcolm Rucker Aird and George Michael Mavrogardato their executors administrators and assigns Upon Trust that the said Alexander Pandia Nalli Malcolm Rucker Aird and George Michael Mavrogardato or the survivors or survivor of them or the executors or administrators of such survivor (all which several persons and other the trustees or trustee for the time being of this my will are hereinafter referred to as "my trustees") shall sell call in and convert into money the said trust premises at such time or times and in such manner as they shall think fit with power to postpone the sale calling in or conversion of the whole or any part or parts of the said trust premises during such point as they shall think proper and to rotate as permanent investments any investments belonging to me at the time of my death without being responsible for depreciation or less and shall out of the moneys arising from such sales calling in and conversion and all other moneys forming part of my estate pay my funeral and testamentary expenses and debts and the legacies (other than specific legacies and annuities) bequeathed by this my will or any codicil hereto and the duties payable in respect of all legacies and annuities and shall invest the residue of the said moneys in any investments in which I may have money invested at the time of my death or in any investments for the time being authorised by law for the investment of trust moneys with power to vary such investments at discretion and shall, out of the annual income of the the said trust premises and the investments for the time being representing the same (hereinafter called the trust premises) pay the annuities bequeathed by this my will or any codicil hereto and subject thereto shall pay the whole of such annual income to my said wife during widowhood and after her death or remarriage shall (subject to the payment of the said annuities) hold the trust premises and the income thereof in trust for all or such one or more exclusively of the others or other of my children or remoter issue (such remoter issue to be born and take vested interests within twenty one years after the death of my said wife) at such age or time or respective ages or time if more than one in such shares and in such manner and form in every respect as my said wife shall be deed or will or codicil appoint and in default of and subject to such appointment in trust for all my children or any my child who being sons or a son shall attain the age of twenty one years or being daughters or a daughter shall attain that age or marry and if more than one in equal shares provided always that no child who or whose issue shall take any part of the trust premises under any such appointment as aforesaid shall in default of appointment to the contrary be entitled to any share of the unappointed part of the trust premises without bringing the share appointed to him or her or his or her issue into hotchpot and if there shall be no child of mine living at my death or born afterwards who being a son attains the age of twenty one years or being a daughter attains that age or marries then subject to the trusts and powers heretobefore declared and contained and to every or any exercise of such powers and to any statutory provisions which may be applicable my trustees shall hold the trust premises and the income thereof in trust for King ??? Hospital Fund for London.
IN WITNESS thereof I have to this and the two proceeding sheets of paper set my hand this 11th day of November one thousand nine hundred and twenty two S. MAVROJANI Signed by the said Spyridion Mavrojani the testator as and for his last will in the presence of us present at the same time who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as attesting witnesses-
William Capper Colonel Pentwin Clyro
Edwin D. Porrott Bush Clerk in Holy Orders Clyro Vicarage Hereford.
I Spyridion Mavrojani of Clyro Court Clyro in the County of Radnor Barrister at law hereby declare this to be a Codicil to my will which bears date the eleventh day of November one thousand nine hundred and twenty two whereas by my said will I have appointed Alexander Pandia Ralli of 18 Hans Court Hans Road in the county of London to be an executor and trustee of my said will and whereas owing to the bad health of the said Alexander Pandia Ralli I wish to appoint my wife Dorothy Mavrojani to be an executrix and trustee of my said will in the place of the said Alexander Pandia Ralli now I hereby revoke the appointment of the said Alexander Pandia Ralli as one of the executors and trustees of my said will and I hereby appoint my wife Dorothy Mavrojani to be an executrix and trustee of my said will in the place of the said Alexander Pandia Ralli and I further declare that the order of my executors and trustees shall be as as follows namely George Michael Mavrogardato Malcom Rucker Aird and Dorothy Mavrojani and whereas by my said will I have bequeathed an annuity of thirty pounds to Mrs Maniachi of Corfu and whereas the said Mrs Maniachi has since died and I am now making an annual allowance of thirty pounds to her daughters Now I hereby bequeath to such two daughters of the said Mrs Maniachi and the survivor of them an annuity of thirty pounds during their joint lives and the life of the survivor such annuity to commence and be paid in accordance with the directions contained in clause 4 of my said will and whereas by my said will I have bequeathed the sum of two thousand pounds free of legacy duty to each child of mine born subsequent to the eleventh day of February one thousand nine hundred and eight who being a son shall attain the age of twenty one years or being a daughter shall attain that age or marry under that age and whereas by an indenture dated the twenty fifth day of November one thousand nine hundred and twenty four? I have secured the payment to cash of my daughter Mary Mavrojani and Berta(?) Mavrojani (both of whom born after the said eleventh day of February one thousand nine hundred and eight) of the sum of two thousand pounds when they shall respectively attain the age of twenty one years or marry under that age For I hereby revoke the said legacy of two thousand pounds to each of them the said Mary Mavrojani and Berta Mavrojani and I declare that the sum of two thousand pounds secured to each of them as aforesaid shall be addition to the share which each of them will take in my residuary estate and in all other respects I confirm my said will IN WITNESS whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twenty ninth day of July one thousand nine hundred and twenty five- S. MAVROJANI- Signed by the said Spyridion Mavrojani the testator as and for a codicil to his last will in the presence of us present at the same time who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as attesting witnesses-
Walter de Winton J.P. Masslluch Castle Glasbury Hereford-
W. H. Banshaw Glasbury on Rye J.P.
William F Lloyd (Signature)
Registrar of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland
Written in the top right-hand margin on page 189:
W. H. Horwood
the 3rd day
of July A.D.
Value of Estate
Page Contributed by Judy Benson, Sheila Tiberio & Transcribed by Lenora Cooper
Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (
Saturday July 01, 2017
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)
Your Community, Online!