Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of Richard Layman
from Newfoundland will books volume 12 pages 76 & 77 probate year 1921
In re RICHARD LAYMAN. DECEASED.
This is the last Will and Testament of me, Richard Layman of St. John's in the Dominion of Newfoundland and I revoke all former wills by me made. I appoint and nominate Irene Mary Layman my beloved wife Executrix of this my will.
- I give and devise unto my said wife my dwelling house situate at 35 Goodview Street in St. John's aforesaid during her life and after her death to the children of my brother William Layman living at my death in equal shares as tenants in common but should my said wife need to sell the said house to support herself she has full power to do so in which event she is to possess the whole proceeds thereof for her sole use and benefit.
- I desire that land owned by me and situate at Pleasant Street in St. John's aforesaid be sold and the net proceeds thereof to be used by my said wife in repairing the said house if in her discretion repairs are necessary at any time. In the event of repairs not being necessary at the time of my death my said wife has full power to use the said proceeds for her sole use and benefit if she so prefers.
- I give and bequeath unto my said wife half of the money coming to me from my interest or share in the estate of the late Peter Piccott which money shall accrue from the sale of a house situate at Fogo. The remaining half I give and bequeath unto Margaret Maddox my cousin.
- I give and devise the land coming to me from my interest or share in the estate of the late Peter Piccott unto Frank Layman son of William Layman my brother and I desire that the said land remain always in the name of Layman or Piccott.
- I give and bequeath unto my said wife for her life the income or proceeds accruing from my interest or share in the estate of my late sister Ellen Layman and after her death I give and bequeath the said Interest or share unto the children of my said brother William Layman living at my death in equal shares as tenants in common.
- I desire my Executrix to deposit to the credit of the account in the Bank of Nova Scotia in the name of Richard Layman in trust for John Piccott the gold pieces presently found at my said house 35 Goodview Street.
- I desire my Executrix to give to Reverend Father Finn of Holyrood, Conception Bay what is known as "Uncle Peters Box" which is presently found at my said house 35 Goodview Street.
- I give and bequeath unto my said wife the residue of my estate.
I have hereunto subscribed and set my hand to this my will at St. John's aforesaid this 21st day of December 1920. RICHARD LAYMAN
Signed by the Testator as and for his last will in the presence of us who in his presence and in the presence of each have hereunto subscribed and set our names as witnesses E. Mifflen T. Scanlon McGrath.
William F. Lloyd
Registrar of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland
(Listed in the Margin next to this will the following)
Fiat Aug 21/21
to Irene M. Layman
Estate sworn at
|Note: The wills in those will books are NOT actual wills. They are hand-written copies of a, "last will and testament," written by the court clerk, after the death of the testator, when the executor presented them to the court for probate. The court clerk didn't list the signatures at the bottom, he (or she) just put them in the book in whatever order they were in, on the original document, no spacing most of the time, no punctuation. The originals were kept by the executor. |
We who have typed these wills, have made every effort to include all the errors that were on the microfilm, in order to avoid destroying the integrity of the originals, where ever they may be.
Page contributed by Judy Benson and Ivy F. Benoit
REVISED BY: Ivy F. Benoit June 15, 2002
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)
Your Community, Online!