Will of David Gosse
from the Newfoundland will books volume 12 pages 172 & 173 probate year 1922
In re DAVID GOSSE. DECEASED.
This is the last Will and Testament of me David Gosse of Torbay, Newfoundland, Fisherman, Farmer, and I hereby revoke all former Wills and Testamentary Writings.
I will and direct that my Executor hereinafter named shall first pay out of my general estate all my just debts and funeral expenses.
I hereby appoint Thomas J. Fitzpatrick of St. John's, Grocer, to be sole Executor of this my will.
- To my sons Alfred and Frederick I give and bequeath in equal shares about 8 acres of land near Gallows Cove Pond known as the "Inside Farm"
- To my son Martin I give and bequeath 3 acres of land (more or less) situated on the Bauline line and adjoining land now owned by him.
- To my sons John and Charles I give and bequeath in equal shares a piece of land containing about 5 acres situated on East side of Gallows Cove Pond and known as "Cuddihy's Place"
- To my son Charles I give and bequeath a piece of land containing about 1 acre known as "Jimmie Ryan's Land" situated about half way between Torbay and Gallows Cove Pond.
- To my sons Martin and Charles I give and bequeath in equal shares a piece of land situated on the East side of the main road at Torbay and known as "The Old School Yard"
- To my son John I give and bequeath a piece of land containing about one half acre and situate on the West Side of Lower Street, Torbay.
- To my sons Martin and Charles I give and bequeath equally between them 4 acres of wooded land situated at the foot of Lower Island Pond.
- To my son Alfred I give and bequeath a piece of land, with the shop, building thereon, situated on the West side of the Main Road at Torbay. This property is not to be sold outside of the family.
- To my daughter Bridget, known in religion as Sister Annunciata, I give and bequeath the sum of five hundred dollars.
- To my sons Alfred and Frederick I give and bequeath in equal shares the sum of four hundred dollars now owed to me by Father Ashley.
- To my sons Martin, John, and Charles I give and bequeath in equal shares the sum of six hundred dollars.
- To my wife, Ellen, I give and bequeath the sum of five hundred dollars.
- To my wife Ellen, I give and bequeath the land with the Dwelling House, Shop, Stock in Trade, Outhouses, Furniture, at present owned, used and occupied by me situated on the East side of the Main Road at Torbay for the term of her natural life. At her death she will dispose of same amongst our sons as she may think best.
- To my wife, Ellen, I give and bequeath all the rest and residue of my estate.
- To my son Martin I give and bequeath my Buggy.
- I will and direct my executor as soon as possible after my death to pay for and have celebrated three High Masses for the repose of my soul.
- I will and direct my wife to have celebrated each year five low Masses for the repose of my soul.
In witness whereof I have hereunto subscribed my hand at Torbay aforesaid this 28th of April A.D. 1921.
Signed by the said Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in our presence, both present at the same time, who at his request, in his presence, and in the presence of each other, have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses. CYRIL J. CAHILL. THOS. FITZPATRICK.
William F. Lloyd
Registrar of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland
(Listed in the Margin next to this will the following)
Fiat March 20/22
to Thomas J.