Will of Josiah Garland
from the Newfoundland will books volume 10 pages 75 to 77 probate year 1913
In re Josiah Garland deceased.
This is the last will and Testament of me Josiah Garland of St. John's, formerly servant at the Crown Lands Department, but now retired, hereby revoking and annulling all previous wills by me at any time made and declaring this and no other to be my last
- First: I give, devise and bequeath to my wife Sarah Garland the sum of four hundred and eighty dollars to be paid to her by four annual instalments of one hundred and twenty dollars each. The said instalments to be drawn from a deposit to my credit at present in the Bank of Montreal and they shall be a first charge on said deposit and one iron bedstead, one feather bed and bedding
- Second: I give and bequeath to my daughter Evangeline Stowe, now residing at Norman's Cove in Trinity Bay the sum of three hundred and twenty dollars, to be paid to her in four equal annual instalments, and my own flat hair trunk and her mother's wreath.
- Third: I give and bequeath to my grandson Samuel Stowe my own writing desk.
- Fourth: I give and bequeath the remainder of the money which is on deposit to my credit in the Bank of Montreal to my seven children. William Garland, now residing at Pellys Island. Elizabeth A. Vigus, now residing at Burin. Sarah Suscott, now residing at Davisville, Ontario. Susannah Sparks, now residing at Vancouver, British Columbia. Jessie Barter, now residing at Minnedosa, Manitoba. Melina Bishop at present residing at Burin, and Corbett(?) N. Garland, now residing at Bar Harbor in the state of Maine, to be equally divided between them.
- Fifth: I give and bequeath to my son William Garland all my wearing apparel and black trunk formerly his grandmother's, all my books, including one family Bible with commentary and family register attached, my own private chest with all therein contained and also a piece or parcel of land situate and being at Lower Island Cove in Conception Bay near the road leading from the water front to the old Methodist Church, and I desire that the papers constituting the title and the measurements of the said piece or parcel of land shall be given by my executor hereinafter named at my said son.
- Sixth: I give and bequeath to my grandson Walter Garland, son of my said son William, my watch.
- Seventh I give and bequeath to my daughter Sarah Suscott One feather bed and bedding or its value in money when sold and to her son James I give and bequeath on silver table fork.
- Eighth: I hereby will and direct that my said wife shall have the right to reside free of charge in my dwelling house for six months after my decease and at the expiration of the said six months my said house which is built on leasehold ground with the residue of my estate and effects shall be sold and out of the proceeds thereof the sum of one hundred dollars formerly advanced to me by my daughter Elizabeth A. Vigus, shall be paid to her and the balance thereof, after payment of my just debts, funeral and testamentary expenses shall be divided equally amongst my seven children hereinbefore in paragraph four named.
- Ninth: I give and bequeath to my daughter Elizabeth A. Vigus my own family Bible with family records therein
- Tenth: in the event of the death of my said wife before the payment to her of the four instalments as provided in paragraph one. I give, devise and bequeath the balance thereof which shall remain unpaid to my daughters Susannah Sparks, Sarah Suscott and Evangeline Stowe in equal shares.
- Eleventh: I hereby appoint my said son William Garland sole executor of this my will.
In witness whereof I have hereunto my hand subscribed at St. John's aforesaid this 12th day of November A.D. 1909 - Josiah Garland -
Signed, Published and declared by the Testator as his last will and testament in the presence of us who in his presence at his request and in the presence of each other have hereunto our hands subscribed as witnesses Robert S. LeDrew. A. W. Knight.
D. M. Browning
(Listed in the Margin next to this will the following)