Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of Michael Gallivan
from Newfoundland will books volume 3 pages 285-286 probate year 1872
Michael Gallivan deceased.
In the name of God Amen, I Michael Gallivan of Saint John’s in the Island of Newfoundland, Master Cooper, being of perfect sound and disposing mind and memory, do make this my last will and testament in manner following, that is to say first and principally of all I give and recommend my soul into the hands of Almighty God who gave it and the interment of my body I leave to the discretion of my executorix’s, and as touching such worldly estate wherewith it hath pleased God to bless me in this life (all my lawful debts being paid) I give and dispose of the same in the following manner and form:
- I give and bequeath to my beloved daughter Mrs. Kate Murphy the sum of forty pounds.
- To my beloved daughter Mrs. Ellen Power the sum of eighty pounds.
- To my beloved daughter Anastatia Gallivan the sum of eighty pounds.
- To each of my beloved sons Michael and Patrick Gallivan the sum of twenty five pounds.
- Toward the erection of the Roman Catholic Chapel, River Head, the sum of ten pounds.
- To the Most Reverend Doctor Thomas Joseph Power to offer up or cause to be offered up two High Masses for the repose of my soul. (After my funeral expenses and the above bequests have been paid)
- I give to my beloved daughter Mrs. Ellen Power and Anastatia Gallivan above named a further bequest (to be divided equally between them) of the residue of any money, dwelling hose, cooperage, beds and bedding furniture, mechanical tools, and all other property that I may be possessed of at the time of my deaths. It is further to be fully understood that my dwelling house and cooperage are to be let on lease but not sold, during the unexpired term of its present lease and the rents arising therefrom to be divided equally between the above named Mrs. Ellen power and Anastatia Gallivan, but should either Mrs. Ellen Power or Anastatia Gallivan die before being married her portion of the forthcoming rents shall go to her surviving sister or her heirs.
- It is further to be fully understood that if the aforesaid Patrick Gallivan shall not return to Saint John’s in the Island of Newfoundland during the term of seven years after my death, his claim to the aforesaid bequest of twenty five pounds shall become null and void and the said forfeited bequest of twenty-five pounds shall be divided equally between my two beloved daughters Mrs. Ellen Power and Anastatia Gallivan aforesaid. I hereby nominate and appoint my two beloved daughters Mrs. Ellen Power and Anastatia Gallivan their executors administrators or assigns executorix’s to this my last will and testament. In testimony whereof I set my hand and seal this sixteenth day of April one thousand eight hundred and seventy two.
Michael his X mark Gallivan (LS) Signed sealed and delivered in presence of William M. Blake, Lawrence Furlong.
D. M. Browning
Note: The wills in those will books are NOT actual wills. They are either hand-written copies or in later years typed copies of a, "last will and testament," written or typed by the court clerk, after the death of the testator, when the executor presented them to the court for probate. The court clerk didn't list the signatures at the bottom, he (or she) just put them in the book in whatever order they were in, on the original document, no spacing most of the time, no punctuation. The originals were kept by the executor.
We who have typed these wills, have made every effort to include all the errors that were on the microfilm, in order to avoid destroying the integrity of the originals, where ever they may be.
Page Contributed by Judy Benson & Ivy F. Benoit
Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday February 20, 2013)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2016)
Your Community, Online!