Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of John Drake
from Newfoundland will books volume 7 page 515 probate year 1905
Drake John. Last will of
This is the last will and testament of me John Drake of Catalina in the Northern District of the Island of Newfoundland.
- First, I give devise and bequeath unto my great grandson John Drake Newhook of Saint John's my dwelling house, household furniture land and all erections thereon and also my waterside premises.
- Second, I give and bequeath unto the said John Drake Newhook the sum of one thousand dollars in government debentures and also the sum of one thousand dollars from money now invested in the Bank of Montreal.
- Third, I give devise and bequeath unto my two grandsons John Drake of John and John Drake of Richard all my land in the South west arm of Catalina share and share alike.
- Fourth, I give and bequeath unto my three nieces Tabatha Newhook of St. John's and Mary Ann Courage and Rachel Collins of Catalina the sum of one thousand dollars each in government debentures.
- Fifth I give and bequeath unto my son John Drake and to my grandson John Drake of John the sum of two thousand dollars each and to my grandson John Drake of Richard the sum of one thousand dollars.
- Sixth I give and bequeath unto my daughter-in-law Ann Drake the sum of four hundred dollars.
- Seventh the residue of my money after my funeral and other lawful expenses are paid I give and bequeath unto my son Richard Drake.
- And lastly I hereby nominate and appoint Frederick Somerton of Catalina to be executor of this my last will and testament hereby revoking all former wills by me made.
In witness whereof I the said john drake have hereto subscribed my name the twenty third day of July in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and four. John Drake (LS) Testator.
Signed published and declared by the said John Drake as and for his last will and testament in the presence of us, who at his request in his presence and in the presence of each other have subscribed our names as witnesses. James Raymond. Archibald E. Gardner.
I certify the foregoing to be a correct copy of the last will of John Drake.
D. M. Browning
(Listed in the Margin next to this will the following)
Order for Probate
Sept 20 1905
on ??ject at
Probate to Fredk
|Note: The wills in those will books are NOT actual wills. They are hand-written copies of a, "last will and testament," written by the court clerk, after the death of the testator, when the executor presented them to the court for probate. The court clerk didn't list the signatures at the bottom, he (or she) just put them in the book in whatever order they were in, on the original document, no spacing most of the time, no punctuation. The originals were kept by the executor. |
We who have typed these wills, have made every effort to include all the errors that were on the microfilm, in order to avoid destroying the integrity of the originals, where ever they may be.
Page Contributed by Judy Benson and Ivy F. Benoit
REVISED BY: Ivy F. Benoit May 22, 2002
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)
Your Community, Online!