Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of George Butt
from the Newfoundland will books volume 12 page 116 probate year 1921
In re GEORGE BUTT. DECEASED.
This is the last Will and Testament of me George Butt, of St. John's, in the Island of Newfoundland. I revoke all former wills by me at any time made and I appoint my daughter Ellie, wife of William White, the Executrix of this my last Will and Testament.
- FIRST. I give, devise and bequeath to my said daughter Ellie the sum of One hundred dollars.
- SECOND. I give, devise and bequeath to my grandson Eric White the sum of Fifty dollars and to my grandson Calvin George White the sum of Fifty dollars.
- THIRD. I give, devise and bequeath to my Executrix the sum of Five hundred dollars to be invested by her in Newfoundland Government Securities To hold the same unto my Executrix In trust for the use and benefit of my grandson Leslie White on his attaining twenty one years.
- FOURTH. I give, devise and bequeath to my housekeeper Lizzie Duffitt the sum of One hundred dollars.
- FIFTH. I give, devise and bequeath to Florrie Johnson, a blind girl, who resides in Catalina, in the Electoral District of Trinity, in the Island of Newfoundland, the sum of One hundred dollars.
- SIXTH. All the rest, residue, and remainder of my property of whatsoever nature and wheresoever situate I give, devise and bequeath to my said daughter Ellie for her own use and benefit for ever.
In Witness Whereof I have hereunto set my hand this twenty fifth day of August. A. D. 1920. GEORGE BUTT.
Signed by the Testator as and for his last Will and Testament in our presence, who in his presence and in presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses. Cluny McPherson. David Power.
William F. Lloyd
Registrar of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland
(Listed in the Margin next to this will the following)
Fiat Oct 31/21
to Ellie White
|Note: The wills in those will books are NOT actual wills. They are hand-written copies of a, "last will and testament," written by the court clerk, after the death of the testator, when the executor presented them to the court for probate. The court clerk didn't list the signatures at the bottom, he (or she) just put them in the book in whatever order they were in, on the original document, no spacing most of the time, no punctuation. The originals were kept by the executor. |
We who have typed these wills, have made every effort to include all the errors that were on the microfilm, in order to avoid destroying the integrity of the originals, where ever they may be.
This page contributed by Judy Benson and Ivy F. Benoit
REVISED BY: Ivy F. Benoit June 11, 2002
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)
Your Community, Online!