Presented by the
Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History
To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
A Collection of Newfoundland Wills
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
Will of Michael Burke
from Newfoundland will books volume 8 pages 57 to 59 probate year 1906.
In the Estate of
Michael Burke deceased.
In the name of God Amen This is the last will and testament of me Michael Burke of St. Jacques Fortune Bay in the Island of Newfoundland, being in sound health of mind.
First. I give my soul to God and I desire that my body be buried according to the rite of the Holy Roman Catholic Church of which I live and die an obedient child.
Second I will and desire that my executor hereinafter named as soon after my death as will be convenient will pay out of my estate the following sums namely:
- 1st To any priest or priests whom he shall choose the sum of Seven hundred dollars $700.00 for funeral expenses a monument over my grave, and to procure Masses for the benefit of my soul.
- 2nd To my niece Susan wife of Michael Penny the sum of four hundred dollars $400.00.
- 3rd. To my sister Elizabeth McEvoy the sum of seven hundred dollars. $700.00
- 4th. To my niece Elizabeth Penny the sum of one hundred dollars $100.00
- 5th. To my niece Ellen McKinnon the sum of one hundred dollars $100.00.
- 6th. To Father James Whelan formerly Pastor of this Mission the sum of one hundred dollars $100.00.
- 7th To Father William Brown formerly Pastor of this Mission the sum of one hundred dollars
- 8th To Father George Hawkins the present Pastor of this mission the sum of one hundred dollars $100.00
- 9th. To the Priest in charge of the Catholic Church at St. Jacques Fortune Bay the sum of four hundred dollars $400.00 for the benefit of the following churches of the parish to be divided as follows
Terrenceville Church the sum of one hundred and fifty dollars $150.00
English Harbor west church fifty dollars $50.00
English Harbour east church one hundred dollars $100.00
Bay de Nord church one hundred dollars $100.00
- 10th To William Burke senior of St. Jacques the sum of six hundred dollars $600.00 to be used at his discretion for the benefit of the children of the late Ambrose Burke
- 11th To my brother Denis Burke the sum of money now on the books of Bowring Bros St. John's to my credit
- 12th To my niece Elizabeth Whelan the sum of Two hundred dollars $200.00
- 13th. To the daughters of Isaac Burke of St. Jacques the sum of Four hundred dollars $400.00 the said sum to be placed in the Savings Bank of Montreal until the Youngest living daughter reaches the age of fourteen years, when the principal and accumulated interest will be equally divided between the girls.
- 14th To Pat Penny St. Jacques one hundred dollars $100.00
- 15th. To Eileen Burke daughter of P.D. Burke the sum of one hundred dollars $100.00 to be invested for her until she reaches the age of Twenty-one years.
- 16th. To the convent of St. Jacques the sum of Fifteen hundred dollars $1500.00
- 17th To the Catholic Church at St. Jacques the sum of Fifteen hundred dollars $1500.00
- To Francis Regis Burke of St. Jacques the sum of Four thousand dollars $4000.00. In the event of the death of the above named Francis Regis Burke before coming of age I will that my executor divide the residue of my estate which would have gone to the said Francis Regis Burke equally among the surviving children of my brother Denis Burke
- 19th I appoint my brother Denis the executor of this my last will and testament.
Dated at St. Jacques Fortune Bay this Twenty-fourth day of May in the year of our Lord one thousand nine hundred and six. Michael his x mark Burke
signed published and declared by the said testator as and for his last will and testament in our presence who in his presence and in the presence of each other have hereunto subscribed our names as witnesses thereto the same having been first read over and explained to the said Michael Burke in our presence the day and year above written Joseph O Reilly P. J. McEvoy.
I certify the foregoing to be a correct copy of the last will and testament of Michael Burke deceased
End D.M.B. D. M. Browning
(Listed in the margin next to this will)
this 8th day
|Note: The wills in those will books are NOT actual wills. They are hand-written copies of a, "last will and testament," written by the court clerk, after the death of the testator, when the executor presented them to the court for probate. The court clerk didn't list the signatures at the bottom, he (or she) just put them in the book in whatever order they were in, on the original document, no spacing most of the time, no punctuation. The originals were kept by the executor. |
We who have typed these wills, have made every effort to include all the errors that were on the microfilm, in order to avoid destroying the integrity of the originals, where ever they may be.
Page Contributed by Judy Benson and Ivy F. Benoit
Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (November 25, 2002)
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2017)
Your Community, Online!