To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
This page is for listings of the surname COOPER, and people with research interest.
Excerpt from Dr. Seary's, Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland, MUN 1977.
COOPER, a surname of England, Ireland, Scotland, and the Channel Islands, from Middle English cou per - maker or repairer of wooden casks, buckets or tubs. (Reaney, Turk).
Found widespread in England and Scotland by Guppy and Black, and by MacLysaght particularly in Co. Sligo.
Family traditions: Charles, son of a West Country merchant, settled at Grates Cove about 1705 (MUN Folklore). -----, moved from Lower Island Cove to Cooper's Point, Grates Cove, about 1790 (MUN Hist.). John, ? from England, married and settled at Norman's Cove in the early l9th century (MUN Hist.). ----- , from Cornwall to Twillingate about 1847, later settled at Point Leamington (MUN Folklore). -----, from ? Hanson (unidentified), England, settled at Ireland's Eye about 1847 (MUN Folklore). [Samuel] -----, settled at Pushthrough about 1850 (MUN Folklore).
Early instances: William, planter of St. John's, 1706 (CO 194.4); William, of Spear Island, 1708-09 (CO 194.4); John and Richard, ? servants of Oderin, about 1730-35 (CO 194.9); Thomas, of Lower Island Cove, 1781 (CO 199.18); Edward, of Great Belle Isle (now Bell Island), 1797 (D'Alberti 7); George and son, proprietors and occupiers of fishing room at Grates Cove, Winter 1800-01 (Census Trinity B.); John, planter of Fogo, 1808 (MUN Hist.); Edward, of Ireland's Eye, 1814 (DPHW 64); Thomas Cooper(s), of Harbour Grace Parish, 1815 (Nfld. Ar-chives HGRC); Tom Cooper, planter of Catalina, 1818 (DPHW 72); Eleanor, of Twillingate, 1820 (USPG); John, of Trinity (Trinity B.), 1821 (DPHW 64); John, of New Harbour (Trinity B.), 1823 (DPHW 64); Edward, pioneer of Lance Cove (Bell Island), died 1825, aged 61 years (MUN Hist.); Patrick K., of Harbour Grace, 1831 (Nfld. Archives HGRC); William, of Blackhead (Conception B.), 1831 (DPHW 52A); James, of Kings Cove Parish, 1839 (Nfld. Archives KCRC); George, planter of Western Bay, 1839 (DPHW 52A); John, of Old Perlican, 1840 (DPHW 58); Henry, of Burgeo, 1846 (DPHW 26D); Henry, of Petty Harbour, 1847 (DPHW 31); John, of Scilly Cove (now Winterton), 1857, of Norman's Cove, 1858 (DPHW 59A); Michael T., cooper of Carbonear, 1871 (Lovell); John (and others), of Chapel Arm, 1871 (Lovell); Samuel, of Green's Harbour, 1871 (Lovell); James, of Mouse Island, 1871 (Lovell); Absolom and John, of Random Sound, 1871 (Lovell); James, of Three Arms, Twillingate, 1871 (Lovell).
Modern status: Widespread, especially in the Trinity North and South districts.
Place names: Cooper Bank 46-59 55-04; ----- Brook 48-42 55-13; ----- Cove 47-18 53-59, 47-35 54-13, 47-37 56-46, 47-39 54-08; ----- Head 47-20 53-54 (Labrador) 52-57 55-47; ----- Island 51-20 56-42 (Labrador) 52-55 55-48, (Labrador) 53-35 57-18; ----- Pond 48-46 55-13; Coopers Block (Labrador) 52-54 55-47; ----- Cove 47-35 54-12, (Labrador) 54-06 58-32; ----- Head 47-38 53-13; ----- Island (Labrador) 57-40 61-42; ----- Pond 47-39 53-29.
The entries have been supplied by various contributors.[ Alpha Listing]
Page Revised: July 2002 (Don Tate)
|Recent Updates||Contact Us|
Your Community, Online!
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2016)