To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
This page is for listings of the surname BENOIT, and people with research interest.
Excerpt from Dr. Seary's, Family Names of the Island of Newfoundland, MUN 1977.
BENOIT(E), surnames of Newfoundland, including the Miomacs, from the bap-tismal names and surnames of France Benoit(e), usually from Latin benedictus - blessed but occasionally a translation of the Hebrew Baruch. (Dauzat).
In Newfoundland: Benoit has sometimes been replaced by BENNETT. Some Benoits at Stephenville came from France in the early 20th century, some at Conne River from France via St. Pierre.
Family traditions: Michael (about 1810-80), born in Cape Breton, settled at Red Brook (Ruisseau Rouge) (Port au Port Peninsula) (MUN Folklore). Luc, from Acadia, settled in Lower Cove (Port au Port Peninsula) about 1850; his descendants settled at Point a Luc, Red Brook and Stephenville (MUN Geog.). Charles and John, of Cow Head, 1873 (MUN Hist.). Family of Henry moved to Lourdes, between 1894 and 1904 (MUN Hist.). John, early settler at Stephenville Crossing, 1909 (MUN Hist.). Albert, from St. George's, early settler at Stephenville Crossing, 1909 (MUN Hist.).
Early instances: Laurence and Paul, farmers of Head of Bay d'Espoir, 1871 (Lovell); Constant (and others), fishermen of Indian Head (St. George's B.), 1871 (Lovell); John and Ben, Micmacs at Conne River, 1872 (Mac-Gregor); Benjamin, farmer of Codroy, 1877 (Lovell).
Modern status: Benoit, widespread on the South and West coasts especially at Conne River and St. Alban's and throughout the Port au Port district Benoite, at St. Joseph's (Fortune B.) (Electors 1955) and in the Burgeo-La Poile district.
Place names: Benoit River 48-42 58-40, Benoit's Cove 49-01 58-08.
Page Revised: July 2002 (Don Tate)
|Recent Updates||Contact Us|
Your Community, Online!
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)