Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

Newfoundland's West Coast Vital Statistics
The Western Star Archived Obits and Tid Bits
1931 to 1940



January 7, 1931, p.1.
Shot in His Home on New Year Eve
Victim of Tragedy Dies In Hospital Five Hours Later
Reginald BOLAND Committed to Supreme Court for Trial
The closing hours of the old year witnessed the most horrible tragedy in the history of this town. John W. THISTLE, barber, was shot in his own home, and died few hours later. A 32 cal. Iver Johnson five-chamber revolver was found on the floor by his side. Three of the chambers contained empty shells, in the other two chambers were loaded cartridges. One bullet had entered his head about two inches behind his left ear. He had bruises about the chest, his right eye was blackened and he had other injuries about the face.
Mr. THISTLE, who conducted a barber shop near the Railway Station and on north side of the tracks, had been working up to nearly eleven o'clock Wednesday evening. His last customers were A.M. and T.J. DUNPHY, of Dunphy's Ltd., with whom he conversed on current topics, and enquired whether next day was to be a holiday. Upon being assured in the affirmative he stated that he would fall in line and take a holiday too. They left the shop together, after wishing good night the DUNPHYS proceeded home. Thistle stepped into the shop of Simon BASHA close by, purchased some grapes and proceeded towards his home, only few minutes walk distant on Conway Road.
Some time between 11:30 and 11:45 Thomas HAYES and Wm. YOUNG. whose homes are on the same road and near Thistle's, were called to the Thistle home by Mrs. Thistle. who informed them that her husband was in trouble. Mr. YOUNG was the first to arrive. He founded the unfortunate man lying on the pantry floor. Thinking he had met with an accident, Mr. YOUNG lifted him up and placed him upon a couch in the kitchen. In doing so he noticed blood upon the floor, and also a revolver which was later handed to the police. Upon arrival of Mr. HAYES, Doctor O'CONNELL and Rev. Fr. BROSNAN were called. After a hurried examination the doctor arranged to have the unfortunate man conveyed to the Corner Brook hospital where he died between four and five o'clock New Year's morning.
An autopsy performed by Doctors COCHRANE, HILL and MCDONALD, in the presence of Magistrate VATCHER and Sergt. LEE, showed that the bullet after entering the head behind the left ear travelled upward and forward lodging in the right side center of skull near the brain. Besides the blackened eye and other injuries about the face pronounced bruises were found about his chest. All indicating that the man had been a victim of foul play.
To those early at the scene of the tragedy Mrs. THISTLE stated that after her husband came home she proceeded to the yard to take in someclothes, while her husband took the coal bucket to get some coal from the basement -- entrance to which was through a traphatch in the floor. While in the yard she heard a shot and upon returning to the house she found her husband lying upon the floor in the pantry.
On Saturday she made another statement to the police, and as a result of this statement, a young man named Reginald BOLAND was arrested and placed in the lockup at Corner Brook, at noon on Saturday. We understand BOLAND was a frequent visitor to the THISTLE home, and according to the statement made to the police was there that night. A steady investigation has been kept up by the police. Inspector General HUTCHINGS, of the Constabulary, arrived from St. John's on Monday, and the preliminary enquiry began Monday evening. The enquiry was held in the Court House, at Corner Brook, and presided over by S.D. Cook, J.P., and W.J. MILLEY, J.P. Inspector General HUTCHINGS represented the Justice Department, and Gordon STIRLING counsel for BOLAND. At Monday night's session, depositions were made by Dr. O'CONNELL, Dr. COCHRANE and Sergt. LEE. Yesterday forenoon the deposition of Mrs. THISTLE, widow of the deceased, was taken also that of Wm. Young, Thomas HAYES and J. BASHA. In the afternoon Mrs. John Curtis, Mrs. M.G. Basha and Cyril Barrett were examined. The enquiry finished last night the last witness for the prosecution being Miss Rita BELLOWS. The charge being read to accused he was asked if he wished to make a statement or if he had any witnesses to call. He replied that he had no statement to make or no witnesses to call. The Inspector General asked that he be committed to trial in the Supreme Court at St. John's, and the prisoner was so committed.
Contributor: John Paul Bradford


Western Star 1934

awarded contract to rebuild the Grand Falls-Botwood road

Western Star 4 July 1934
New rectory

Western Star 4 July 1934
War Memorial

CAREW, Bernard
Western Star 29 Aug 1934

Sunday's Express to Deer Lake with Miss H MURLEY
son of Nellie (MURLEY) & Agustus CAREW

MURLEY, H. Miss 1934
Western Star 29 Aug 1934

Sunday's Express to Deer Lake with Master Bernard CAREW
Harriett, dau of Levi & Mary Ann MURLEY; Bernard son of Nellie (MURLEY)& Agustus CAREW

PETRIE, Miss Patricia
Aug, 1934
Western Star 29 Aug 1934

of Bishop's Falls, had been visiting her grandmother, Mrs I BARTLETT, at Petries, has returned home on Sunday's express

Sept 12, 1934
Death of Sophie STONE, wife of Charles STONE, Ballentyne's Cove at age 74. She was born in Harbour Grace, her maiden name being SHEPPARD. She was married twice & besides her second husband, she is survivied by three sons, John & George ALLEN & James STONE, and three daughters, Mrs. John E. STONE, Mrs. Kenneth DOMAN, and Mrs. Roland DOMAN, and two sisters, Mrs. Leander DROVER of Whiteway, Trinity Bay and Mrs. John SHEPPARD, Harbour Grace.
(Transcriber's note: Sophie was the daughter of George SHEPPARD. Her first husband was Robert ALLEN, 1857-1890, the son of John and Elizabeth ALLEN. Sophie married Charles STONE in 1893.)

MURLEY, George
Sept, 1934
19 Sept 1934 Western Star

The steamer Farnorth, formerly owned by the Farquhar s.s. Company at Halifax, has been purchased by W. N. MacDonald of Sydney. It is stated the ship will be routed between Sydney, Montreal, St. Pierre-Miquelon and St. John's Nfld. Capt Geo MURLEY, formerly of Curling, will continue in command.
George was the son of Thomas Winsor and Sarah (PIKE) MURLEY. He was married to Ella REEVES

Western Star Oct 3, 1934

of Humber Brewery, returned from St Johns last week

ALLEN, Mrs Geo, 1934
Western Star Oct 3, 1934

went to Port aux Port on Fridays No 1 Express to visit friends

Western Star Oct 3, 1934
Event 1934

St. Mary's Church Curling, Bell Broken

BURKE, Magistrate
Western Star Oct 3, 1934

arrived here by Customs cutter last week, returned to St. George's by Friday No 1 Express

Western Star 3 October 1934

"St Mary’s Bell Broken
After fifty-two years service a break has appeared in the bell at St. Mary’s Church. This bell was the gift of late Capt R. H. Jelf, R.E. It was cast in Troy, N.Y., and was shipped from there to late Rev. J.J. Curling, St. Mary’s Parsonage, Bay of Islands on 24th June 1882, and has done service here continuously since that date....
...Captain Jelf, the donor of the bell, was a great friend of Rev. Curling. In November 1880 while quartered in Halifax, he decided to visit the Curlings here. He took passage by sailing vessel to Bay St. George, and travelled on foot through the country from there to Bay of Islands. For the return he had taken passage in a vessel commanded by a Captain Leary. He changed his mind, however, and the vessel sailed without him; she was never heard of again. The gift of the bell to St. Mary’s Church was a thank-offering that he had escaped the catastrophe."

After Rev. Curling's death, Colonel Richard H. JELF, R.E., wrote a book about his friend, Rev. J. J. Curling: Life of Joseph James Curling, Soldier and Priest. It was published in 1909.

OSMOND, Capt 1934
Western Star Oct 3, 1934

Schooner Lewis Gordon arrived from Sydney on Monday with cargo of coal

BRAKE, Dorothy
Miss November, 1934
Meadows Notes - Western Star 28 November 1934

is now at Summerside where she will spend the next two months
dau of Walter & Sarah BRAKE, Meadows

BRAKE, Frank
November, 1934
Meadows Notes - Western Star 28 November 1934

we are pleased to see Mr Frank Brake out around again after being confined to the house the past month through illness.

November, 1934
Meadows Notes - Western Star 28 November 1934

who had been employed at camp 34(?) returned home on Saturday

November, 1934
Meadows Notes - Western Star 28 November 1934

On Wednesday evening some thirty friends called at the home of Mr and Mrs John W BRAKE to surprise their daughter Ruby, who recently returned from Canada to spend the winter with her parents. Cards, music and dancing was the feature of the evening. Prize for cards was won by Mrs Jerry BRAKE.

BRAKE, Miss Ruby M
November, 1934
Meadows Notes - Western Star 28 November 1934

who is home for the winter, is at present the guest of her sister Mrs Murdock Morrison at Mt Moriah

HULAN, Hylliard
November, 1934
Robinsons-Heatherton- Western Star 28 November 1934

sorry to hear he is very ill

McDONALD, Murdoch
November, 1934
Robinsons-Heatherton- Western Star 28 November 1934

purchased a pony

All the above articles for 1934 were contributed by Linda Elkins-Schmitt


ALLEN, George, 1935
Western Star 1935

given contract to cut telephone poles for new line to Lark Hr
husb of Mary; son of James & Elizabeth (PERRY) ALLEN. Had saw mill at Pleasant Cove

Wednesday, February 13, 1935

  • Pirates Rendezvous in Bay of Islands
    One Wrecked off Humbermouth

    Pirates at one time operated in the Gulf of St. Lawrence and used Bay of Islands as a rendezvous. A story is told of one of those pirate-ships having entered Broom Bottom (York Hr) presumely for the purpose of burying a portion of booty on shore. A British man-of-war, however, came in around South Head just as the pirate was about to anchor. To avoid capture, the pirates set all sail and their vesel came up the Humber Arm before stiff breeze and was ran ashore on the Bar at the mouth of the Humber. The pirates escaped up the Humber River and are said to have buried treasure on Shellbird Island. The British man-of-war found one man on board who had refused to go with the pirates. His name was HUGHES. He said he was not one of the pirates, but had been taken by them and compelled to work with them. The captain of the man-of-war offered to take and land him anywhere he wished to go. But he decided to remain here, and built a log cabin at what is known as HUGHES Brook, hence how that stream came with its name. There are residents of Curling today who remember the wreck at "Riverhead". The story of the burying of treasure on Shellbird Island was given to a lad of Bay of Islands some years ago by a very old man in Nova Scotia. So far as we know, however, no attempt has been made to recover the pirates hoard. -A.L.B.

  • C.E.W.A. Stage Concert at Lark Hr.
    (transcriber's note: this is not the complete article, just the names contained within it)
    Lark Hr, Feb 6- concert Jan 24th-25th
    List of names of ladies who took part:
    Mrs. Henry CHILDS, President of CEWA
    Mrs. Stephen ROBINSON
    Mrs. W. J. PARK
    Mrs. George J. SHEPPARD
    Mrs. George Leslie SHEPPARD
    Mrs. Raymond GILBERT
    Miss Olive SHEPPARD
    Miss Myrtle SHEPPARD
    Miss Sarah J. SHEPPARD
    Miss Rosa SHEPPARD
    Miss Maizie DARRIGAN
    Mrs. Linton SHEPPARD
    Mrs. George W. SHEPPARD
    Mrs. Isaac SHEPPARD
    Mrs. Mark SHEPPARD, organist

Corner Brook Page of the WESTERN STAR,
March 1935 Edition

Heavy Snowslide Leaves Stark Tragedy in Wake

Mother and Children Instantly Killed as Home is Swept Crushing Over Incline by Tons of Snow…. Of Fourteen in Building, Four are Buried Beneath Wreckage While Ten Barely Escape Terrible Fate….Blizzard and Piled Snow Make Rescue Difficult.

Youngest Child Passes Away Later
One Only of Four Now Living

As the Result of a snowslide which crashed into a two-story house and carried it more than thirty feet down a slope until it landed against another house, a mass of tangled wreckage, two of the occupants of the lower flat, Mrs Leonard DIAMOND and one of her children, a girl aged ten years, met instant death. Of the other two children of the dead woman, who were taken to hospital, the younger, aged two years, passed away the following morning during an attack of convulsions. A family of nine, one woman and eight children, who occupied the upper flat and who had a miraculous escape, are now homeless.

Leonard DIAMOND, husband and father of the victims, who was at work at the mill less than a mile from the scene of the tragedy, was unaware of what had happened until they had been taken from the wreckage and removed to the hospital.

The house, a two story structure stated to be owned by Mr Geo ALLAN, was located about fifty feet up a slope off Curling Road. The upper story which was occupied by the wife and eight children of Hayward PROSPER at present a member of the crew of S S Humber Arm, was larger than the lower flat by the depth of one room which extension was towards the slope as is usual in such cases. The huge mass of snow which broke clear of an accumulation about three hundred feet above the house, crashed through the back wall of the upper flat, piling in over the floor and carrying the building with it. To the fact that all the PROSPER family happened to be in bed in the front of the house they owe their lives. Neither of them is able to give a coherent account of what happened nor how they got out of the house. The only thing they can remember after the first crash is seeing the edge of the roof of the lower house projecting through the wall of their room and a mass of wreckage all around ……

(section missing)

…..the workers, which had been considerably brightened by finding of the little lad alive, were saddened when the body of his sister, aged five years, was located limp and lifeless. The child's head and body appeared to be terribly crushed, and death evidently had been instantaneous.

(remainder of article missing from my copy)


Mar. 1935
Western Star 20 March 1935

married at Carbonear to Lillian TAYLOR, returned home to Mt Moriah
son of Elijah and Mary Ann (PYE) HORWOOD

March 27, 1935
Social and Personal

  • Mr. Hayward TAYLOR received slight injury at the mill on Saturday when a shaft fell on one of his feet.
  • Mr. K. S. TRAPNELL went to Deer Lake on Monday and returned with Corner Brook hockey team on Tuesday.
  • Const. "Bob" BROWN who recently underwent an operation for appendicitis at Corner Brook Hospital, is making satisfactory progress.
  • Mr. E. CRANIFORD, manager of Harvey & Co. Corner Brook, who had been on a business visit to St John's, returned on Friday, past.
  • Mr. Gerald BUTT who has been doing business in Corner Brook during the past week or so, will leave for Grand Falls by No. 2 express tomorrow.
  • As a result of an injury sustained when he fell in the machine room of the mill on Saturday, Mr Thos. MAHER will be unable to resume work for about two weeks.
  • The Western Star wishes to join in the congratulations and good wishes being extended to Mr. George ALLEN, Curling Road, who today celebrates his fifty-ninth birthday.
  • Mr. S. K. SMITH who went to Port aux Basque on Saturday past, returned on Monday. He reports all the boys in good health and good spirits but looking forward to their return to Corner Brook.
  • "S. S. Corner Brook" is loading newsprint at Port aux Basque for Boston, Jacksonville, Mobile and Houston. "S. S. Humber Arm" will be the next boat to load, being due early next month. She will take cargo for London.
  • Mrs. J. P McLAURIN accompanied by her husband left here on Saturday's express and joined the "S. S. Corner Brook" at Port aux Basque. Mrs. McLaurin, on the advice of her physician is enroute to Montreal to consult a specialist, and despite the tiresome train journey, was feeling much better when she reached Port aux Basque, than when she left Corner Brook.

10 April 1935
Death of Charles STONE after an illness of some years. He died at 69 years of age. His wife predeceased him earlier last September.

DAVIS, Alice May
Western Star 15 May 1935

District Nurse, celebrates 75th birthday, Meadows
dau of Edward & Caroline (HUMBER) BRAKE, wife of Edward DAVIS

BARTLETT, David Beatty
Jun. 1935
Western Star 5 Jun 1935

son of AG BARTLETT, married Sophia, dau of John ALLEN Mt Moriah

ALLEN, Sophia
Jun. 1935
Western Star 5 Jun 1935
, dau of John ALLEN Mt Moriah, married David Beatty BARTLETT, son of AG BARTLETT, sister Mrs HH PORTER, Uncle George H ALLEN, sister Maria ALLEN

HUNT, Allan
17. July 1935
Western Star, 24 July 1935

married Lena SHEPPARD at St Mary's Church, Curling. Reception at Groom's home & that of Mr & Mrs Blandford PORTER, Mt Moriah
son of Benjamin & Lavinia (MURLEY) HUNT

17. July 1934
Western Star, 24 July 1935

married Allan HUNT at St Mary's Church, Curling. Reception at Groom's home & that of Mr & Mrs Blandford PORTER, Mt Moriah
dau of James SHEPPARD, Trout River

Western Star 1935

1 Aug. 1935 Census Day

August 1935
Mrs. Mary Ann MURLEY

The death of Mrs, Mary Ann Murley, relict of the late Levi Murley occurred at her home Mount Moriah late Sunday morning. The deceased lady had been ailing for some time but her death came rather suddenly in the end. Complaining of a pain she passed away within twenty minutes. She had passed her eighty-seventh milestone and so with her death another of the old landmarks has been removed. Internment took place yesterday in St.Mary's cemetery following service at St. Mary's church. She is survived by three sons, four daughters, several grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Her husband predeceased her several years ago. To the bereaved we extend sympathy.
(transcriber's note: Mary Ann was the daughter of John and Elizabeth Allen, and grand daughter of Henry and Mary Allen. Levi, her husband (1844-1908), was the son of George and Amanda Murley.)

23 Aug 1935

  • For Sale One 25 HP, 2 Cyl Gideon Kerosene Engine in good working order. Excellent for installation in schooner. Motor Boat "Buick" 35 feet long. Speed 9 MPH. Complete with sails. Bargains for quick sale. A.N.ANTLE, Botwood
  • Going at a Bargain Motor Boat complete with 12 hp Roberts engine, in splendid working condition. Length 27 ft, width 7ft. Large cabin. Suitable for pleasure or fishing purposes. Apply to W.S.PRICHARD, Bank of Montreal, Curling
  • Wanted by the end of August, good reliable MAID. Apply to Mrs C.G.McGrath, 4 West Valley Road, Corner Brook.

Oct. 1935
Western Star 9 Oct, 1935

Mr and Mrs Thos. HANCOCK of St Anthony arrived here by Monday's express on a visit to their daughter Mrs J A FALLOTT, East Valley Road

BUTT, Edward Albert
30 Jul. 1935
Western Star 9 Oct, 1935

son of Austin BUTT, married Georgina Lillian PERRETT, dau of George

ELKINS, Mrs Robert
Oct. 1935
Western Star 9 Oct, 1935

lady over 70 years old from Buckle's Valley entered Corner Brook hospital last week with a compound hip fracture
Rebecca, dau of late Wm & Lenora (GILL) PARSONS, Pinchard's Is, Bonavista Bay

Oct. 1935
Western Star 9 Oct, 1935

Mr Raymond DUDER of St John's is spending a few days in Corner Brook as guest of Mr & Mrs J. H. JARDINE, Townsite.

Oct. 1935
Western Star 9 Oct, 1935

left by Monday's express on a visit to Montreal

PERRETT, Georgina Lillian
30 Jul. 1935
Western Star 9 Oct, 1935

dau of George PERRETT, married Edward Albert BUTT, son of Austin BUTT, cousin Maud DOMAN, sister Mrs Mark VARDY
mother was Susan DOMAN

TAAFFE (sic) Ron
Oct. 1935
Western Star 9 Oct, 1935

representative of Confederation Life Insurance Co who had been spending the past week doing business in the territory between Corner Brook and Port aux Basques returned by Sunday's express.

Oct. 1935
Western Star 9 Oct, 1935

Mr J WALL of the Glynmill Inn staff is ill at Corner Brook Hospital

Oct. 1935
Western Star 23 Oct, 1935

seriously ill at Deer Lake, rushed to Corner Brook hospital

Nov. 1935
Western Star November, 1935

The schooner Louis Gordon, Capt H H PORTER, left Sunday night for Bonne Bay with 112 sheep being part of ? imported by the government for distribution in connection with the policy of encouraging the sheep raising. The schooner returned to Curling yesterday.

Thirty Years Ago, Western Star November 1935
Nov. 1905

There are some fourteen Lunenburg vessels here for ? cargoes, a number of vessels from Bay St George and other local ports, and sixteen American vessels. Fifteen other American vessels are on the way here, all prepared to catch their own fish.

13 Nov 1935
Obituary of Mr John Curtis

The death of Mr. John Curtis occurred at his late home, Conway Road, Curling, at about five o'clock yesterday morning. Mr. Curtis had been an invalid for several years, during which time he was devotedly attended by his wife. He served overseas during the Great War, and was wounded severely, and has been suffering since from the effects of these wounds. The funeral takes place this afternoon at St Mary's Church. He is survived by his wife, four sons and two daughters, also two step-daughters and a step-son. We extend sympathy to the bereaved.

13 November 1935
Mrs. Benjamin HUNT
The death of Mrs. Hunt, wife of Benjamin Hunt of Child's Point, occurred Friday of last week. She had been ill a short while. Mrs. Hunt was formerly Miss Lavinia MURLEY, of Mt. Moriah. She is survived by her husband, two daughters, four sons, several grandchildren, three sisters and three brothers. The funeral took place Sunday afternoon from her late home, with service held in St. Mary's Church by the Rector, and internment made in St Mary's cemetery. Sympathy is extended to the bereaved.
(transcriber's note: Lavinia was the daughter of Levi and Mary Ann (ALLEN) MURLEY. She married Benjamin HUNT in 1900. Benjamin, 1865-1945, was the son of George Benjamin and Lucy (MILLS) HUNT of Summerside.)

13 Nov 1935
Lester ALLEN
of the firm George Allan and son, returned by last trip of the S.S. Sagona from Labrador where he had been conducting the firms business during the summer.

All of the above items for 1935 were submitted by Linda Elkins-Schmitt


BRAKE, Mary Claudine Jubilee
Western Star 18 March 1936
6 May. 1935
born, dau of Mr & Mrs Stanley BRAKE, Meadows
Contributor: Linda Elkins-Schmitt

Western Star April 1936 (30 years ago column)
Apr. 1906

Landslide at Corner Brook on Sunday took part of the RC Cemetery and exposed a skeleton
Contributor: Linda Elkins-Schmitt

April 22, 1936
(It relates an incident which, according to descendants of John GALLOP, actually happened in 1857)

Sixty odd years ago in the month of October, Captain John GALLOP, of the little fishing village of Codroy, went to Halifax and bought a small schooner called the "ENEMEN". Satisfied with his purchase, he proceeded to Labrador where he intended to fish herring, but as the fishery failed he decided to return home. It was while on the homeward voyage that Captain John GALLOP and his crew underwent the harrowing experience that I am about to relate.

The crew of the ENEMEN consisted of six. Besides the captain there were on board three of his brothers, Henry, Joshau (sic) and Benjamin, the latter being the mate of the vessel, also Wilson FIANDER, and Billy OWENS an English boy who acted as cook, and completed the crew of the illfated ENEMEN.

The homeward voyage progressed favourably until Bay of Islands was reached, when the vessel met a terrific gale from the N.W., and altho she was laying to under a double reef foresail for twenty-four hours yet the mountainous seas were too much for her. A huge wave struck her and she toppled over on her side, but did not sink, however owing to having empty barrels on board. Five of the men were on deck and managed to get on the side of the vessel, but the other member, Henry Gallop, was in the cabin at the time of the accident and was fatally trapped by the inrush of water.

The only person physically injured on deck was Billy OWENS and the others seeing the vessel didn't sink, crept together and helped lash on another on the side of the vessel putting the injured boy, Billy OWENS, in the middle.

Terrible hours passed when the men expected death with every wave. They suffered greatly from hunger, thirst and exposure and on the second day Billy OWENS died, begging his comrades to write and tell his mother in England what happened her boy.

With two lives lost and no hope in sight, the remaining four men patiently awaited their doom. Three days passed in this way and the weary bodies were wrapped in exhausted slumber, which would have no doubt carried them into eternity, had not Joshau (sic) GALLOP awakened excitedly hollering to his comrades that he had had a dream – a dream to make a canvas boat – that would save them all. So persuasive was he about his canvas boat, so sure was he of success that the seamen drew some of his enthusiasm in their benumbed bodies.

He explained the method of making his dream boat, and as it sounded quite sensible to the seamen, they forced their worn-out bodies to do what he commanded.

To begin with, the only implement they had to work with was a broken pocket knife, and with this they began to cut away the foresail and get it on the side of the schooner. They ripped off her bulwark and had that for the frame which they lashed together with pieces of rope. Canvas was then placed around this frame, and the fore-gaff was put in the bottom for a keel. The latter however, proved too heavy, for on immersing the boat in the water, it commenced to sink. Undaunted by this set-back, they hauled the boat on the side of the schooner and placed lighter pieces of bulwark in it. This time to their great delight it floated, and they beheld with joy their crudely constructed canvas boat which was about 13 feet long and 4 feet wide.

Since night was falling they lay down on the side of the schooner and rested until dawn of next morning, which happened to be Sunday and the fourth day of the shipwreck. With the sea calm, and the beaconing land about twenty miles distant, the weary but eager men launched their canvas boat taking four pieces of bulwark for paddles. The canvas construction must have looked very formidible however, for one of the men lost his nerve at the last moment and no amount of persuasion would induce him to enter. So the men were obliged to depart without him, but they had not gone far when he began to signal and call frantically for them to return for him. They did so and this time he did not tarry in entering the boat.

The trip towards land progressed well for about an hour when they met with the first mishap. The canvas boat started to leak, but the ready wits of the Captain soon overcame this difficulty by producing his souwester for a bailer. All that day they paddled and bailed their boat, and at dusk they landed in a small cove "Chimney Cove" in Bay of Islands.

Having reached the land their next keenest desire was water which they found in abundance where they landed. Having drank to satisfaction they returned to the canvas boat, under which some of the men wished to pass the night, but the Captain would not allow this, for he knew that in their weakened condition they could not afford to loose more time before starting to climb the cliff of 200 feet which now confronted them. So he ordered a short rest after which the arduous task of climbing the steep cliff was commenced. Aided by the light of the moon the starving men staggered slowly upwards and at sunrise next morning they found themselves at the top. Throwing themselves on the ground they rested and managed to regain energy enough to forge on. Seeing some fishing huts ahead they stumbled towards them eating anything that looked edible as they went. They passed juniper berries some of which they devoured and found strengthening. Then they came to a small garden where they found small turnips that were left in the ground by the summer dwellers who owned the huts. These they greedily ate, just as they were plucked in their muddy condition, and instead of suffering any bad results, they felt all the better for their feed. Having reached the huts, with their hunger somewhat appeased they commenced to break in turn the door of each hut, in the hope of finding food and matches. When the booty was collected it amounted to a pan of corn meal, about the same amount of flour, some mouldy bread and pieces of pork-rind, and last but not least two well preserved matches. These were found in the last hut searched and were hailed with joy by the four men. No time was lost in making a roaring fire, when every precaution was taken to use only the one match. The men gathered around the blazing fire and warmed their benumbed bodies. As the heat revived the life in them their spirits rose accordingly, and soon two of the men went to search the fish houses, while the other two remained to look after the fire. The search only revealed a barrel of salted fish heads which had been saved for dogs. They also found a tar pot in which they made a fire to burn out the tar, after which they filled with the salted heads and cooked over their welcome fire. When finished they sat round and ate their odd meal, thinking it was the best food they had ever eaten. That night the men took turns in watching the fire and next day they partook of the same food as the day before with an additional treat of flour and cornmeal cakes cooked by Wilson FIANDER.

As the men began to realize the terrible ordeal they had faced, and the unknown future which was before them, their spirits became depressed. Seeing the low spirits of his men the clever Captain appeared on the scene with a rimracked consetina, unearthed in one of the shacks. Being unable to play, his drole efforts soon had his comrades in roars of laughter. Braced up by their laughing tonic the men became hopeful again and talked and made plans for a boat that would take them up Bay of Islands. Being all boat builders, they commenced to search around for implements that would serve as tools to build their boat. Soon they had collected an old axe a bit of saw, a piece of iron suitable for caulking, and some old rope. This they picked in the night and used for oakum. They also had the broken pocket knife which had already rendered such good service in making the canvas boat.

The boat was started on Wednesday and finished on Saturday and measured about twelve feet long, six feet wide, and two feet deep. Although it was roughly constructed, yet the day on which it was finished it did them a good service, for the eyes of the seamen ever scanning the sea, noticed a schooner at anchor about one half mile from the shore. Altho a strong gale was blowing, the fearless men launched their big flat bottom boat and rowed towards the schooner.

At first it looked as if they were doomed to disappointment for the schooner began to "heave up" but the men rowed on and soon to their joy realized that they were noticed, and that the anchor was cast again. The boat reached the schooner safely and was hoisted on board. The men were made welcome, all their needs were cared for, especially their great craving for tobacco. This rescue schooner was 70 tons burthen and had just left Bonne Bay bound for Halifax. The Captain very kindly took the men to Corner Brook where the people proved very hospitable, and gave them a punt in which the(y) started to work their way home. They had nearly completed the trip when a storm forced them to beach their punt at Bill Hynes Cove and they walked the fifteen miles home without mishap.

There was great surprise and rejoicing in the village of Codroy, when the men unexpectedly made their appearance, and related their adventures. There was sadness and sympathy too, for the relatives of Henry GALLOP who was drowned in the cabin of the ENEMEN. The death of Billy OWENS, caused many a tear from Codroy mothers, with growing sons of their own, who in their turn must follow the dangerous course of the sea.

But just imagine, four lived saved in a canvas boat! What a pity that this boat could not have been saved and exhibited bringing good returns instead of being left on the shore to be beaten up by the wind and waves, thus taking forever, the material testimony of the inspiration and ingenuity of four brave Newfoundlanders who took a chance against strange odds and won out victoriously.

Submitted by Linda Elkins-Schmitt and Bruce Stevenson

HUNT, George
Western Star 6 May 1936

left for the Labrador

Western Star 6 May 1936

left for the Labrador

HUNT, Walter
Western Star 6 May 1936

left for the Labrador

PYE, Arch
Western Star 6 May 1936

left for the Labrador
Contributed by: Linda Elkins-Schmitt

10 June 1936
Trout River, Bonne Bay, May 24

The quiet repose of Trout River was broken on Sunday morning, May 17, when it became known that Norman, age 27, son of Mr and Mrs. Edward BRAKE, had died in his sleep at the home of a relative in the early hours of the morning.

He was on his way from Shoal Point, where he had taken fond farewell of the family Saturday, going to Labrador to fish with his uncle Isaac BRAKE of Bonne Bay, and had put in at Trout River to spend the night.

Nurse B PIERCEY and Rev C MOSDELL were called in attendance and later the body was examined by Ranger NUGENT and Dr. W. TEMPLEMAN.

Of a quiet, pleasant and obliging disposition, he was always ready to lend a hand at the ordinary jobs which call for a strong arm and good will in a fishing settlement. As a fisherman he worked hard with the different catch of each season to gather the harvest of the waters. He was laid to rest in the C of E cemetery by the Rev C MOSDELL on Monday 18th. The funeral was largely attended.

Article contributed by Linda Elkins-Schmitt

HUNT, Mrs George
May. 1936
Western Star 27 May 1936

Mrs George HUNT and children left by SS Sagona to spend summer at Camp Islands, Labrador

All the 1936 items listed below were contributed by Linda Elkins-Schmitt

July 29 1936
Obituary of Mrs Joseph BRENTON, Cox's Cv, Middle Arm, July 16. Known as Granny BRENTON, 35 years nursing.

July 29 1936
Marriage St Mary's Church, Curling, July 25th, Alfred L MURLEY of Mt Moriah to Ada M PARSONS of Codroy.

July 29 1936
Obituary of Mrs. George STONE: Death of Mrs. Barbara STONE at home of her daughter Mrs Henry LEWIS last Thursday. She had returned from Sydney 3 months ago.

Aug 5 1936
Memoriam of Earlie HUNT BRAKE who died July 31, 1932 from foster mother Eliza BRAKE

Aug 5 1936
Note of thanks from WHEELER family of Frenchman's Cove in recent sorrow included message from Miss Annie LODER, Summerside

Aug 5 1936
Ad: No 1 Pailings, new at George ALLEN's Mill, Petries

Aug 5 1936
Silver Anniversary 25 July of Mr & Mrs W.J. WHEELER of West Corner Brook

Aug 5 1936
Died Badger 2 August, Mr John COLEMAN, age 75 years, leaving widow, 4 sons, 1 daughter, 1 brother and 3 sisters

Aug 5 1936
Former resident of Burgeo dies at North Sydney. J.E. VATCHER, 49, survived by his widow, son Milton, six daughters and his parents Capt & Mrs John VATCHER, 6 brothers and 3 sisters

Aug 5 1936
Obituary of Janet Inez WHEELER, infant daughter, 3 months old, of William and Janet WHEELER

Aug 5 1936
Death of George William COMPANION, 15 months old. Died with meningitis, only son of Mr & Mrs George COMPANION, Frenchman's Cove.

Aug 12 1936
From "Out the Musty Past": Aug 15, 1906 An elderly woman named BURTON of Seal Cove, Bonne Bay, committed suicide by drowning.

Aug 12 1936
Man Drowned while Bathing in Humber River: Fred CHAFFEY, labourer at limestone quarry, 22 years old, son of George CHAFFEY of Jeffreys. Drowned Monday evening. (note: another entry records him as a brother of Mr CHAFFEY, papermaker, of East Valley Road, Townsite)

Aug 19 1936
Memoriam: Mrs George G SHEPPARD, wife and mother, who died 25 Aug, 1935, by family in Lark Hr

Aug 26 1936
Obituary of Mr. M.F.GREENE in Placentia, father of the Rev. R.J. GREENE of St. George's

Aug 26 1936
Note of thanks from Mr. George STONE and Mrs Henry LEWIS re death of Mrs STONE. Some of the names mentioned include: Mrs Elwin MURLEY, Mr. Samuel ALLEN, Mr & Mrs John CLARK, Mr & Mrs John PIKE, Mr & Mrs Mark PIKE, Mrs Naomi ALLEN, Mrs John ALLEN.

Sept 2 1936
Constable MUGFORD left by morning flyer enroute to Clarke's Beach to visit his mother who is seriously ill there.

Sept 2 1936
From "Out the Musty Past": Sept 5, 1906 Driver, Joseph GUY, on engine 100, escaped death Friday morning at Riverhead (now Humbermouth). He had been down the pier with freight for the S.S. Home and was returning up main line tender first, when just west of the water tank the engine crashed into a car on the through siding which had been left too near the points.

Sept 2 1936
Note of Thanks: Priscilla MURRIN and family for loss of husband and father

Sept 2 1936
Obituary: William MURRIN, 28 July, well known citizen of Lark Hr., 80 years old. Born at Spaniards Bay, Newfoundland. Left wife and sons James and Snowden, daughters Mrs. W.F. SHEPPARD, Mrs James DRUGGETT, Mrs Josiah SHEPPARD and Mrs George Leslie SHEPPARD. One sister Mrs Peter TEMPLE of Norman's Cove, Trinity Bay and one brother Moses MURRIN of Lark Hr

Sept 9 1936
Included in a Pass list of those who wrote the C.H.E. Exams for Grade X at the Corner Brook Public School: Margaret BALFOUR, Dorothy BATSTONE and Robert ELKINS

Sept 9 1936
From "Out the Musty Past": Sept 5, 1906 Mr Josiah FISHER & Miss Janet COBB were married at Forteau, on Aug 28th by J.T. RICHARDS

Sept 9 1936
Marriage Aug 30 at Roxbury, Mass., Eva G DOMAN, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. William DOMAN of Petries, to George W JENKINS of Roxbury.

Sept 16 1936
Harry ALLEN returned from Labrador by the S.S. Northern Ranger. He advises us the codfishery catch the past season was a small one. During the season he secured 20 quintals by hand line.

Sept 16 1936
The following were among passengars arriving by the last trip of the S.S.Norther Ranger: H.K. & Mrs. STONE and family; George & Mrs. HUNT and family; Hedley & Mrs. HORWOOD amd family; Arch and Mrs. PYE and family; Robert & Mrs. HORWOOD and family; Hayward PYE; J.E. & Mrs. STONE; Jack PORTER; Charles PYE; Ron & Mrs. GRIFFIN; Dan GRIFFIN; Walter HUNT; Ed & Mrs. STONE and family

Sept 16 1936
Buried Sept 11 at the United Church Cemetery, Corner Brook, Mrs J.H. JARDINE, 59 years

Sept 16 1936
Engagement: Miss Irma COOK, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Claude COOK, West Corner Brook and Mr. G.W.D. ALLEN of the Assessors Dept, St. John's

Sept 23 1936
Married at the Manse, Curling, Saturday, Sept 19 by Rev. G. IVANY, Dorothy JARDINE of Corner Brook and Gerald Frederick BUTT of St. John's.

Sept 23 1936
Obituary: Sept 10, Renowse, Thomas HAYES, 76 yr, father of Mrs. John WALL of Corner Brook.


The Western Star
Wednesday, Aug 18, 1937

Shortly after noon on Saturday past John Arnold, aged 70 years, well known resident of Humbermouth Road died suddenly of heart failure while engaged in taking a party of tourists from s.s. North Star on a trip on the Humber River. The deceased, although suffering from heart trouble for some time past, was in his usual good spirits when he started on the trip, but death came without warning, and he passed from this life on the river on which he spent many years and knew as did but few others. The funeral took place on Sunday afternoon and was attended by a large concourse of citizens.
Contributor: Sheldon O'Neill


April 10, 1940

  • First Sealer Arrives
    The "S. S. Neptune", Capt. J. C. DOMINEY, is the first of the sealing fleet to return from the hunt. She reached St. John's Monday morning, hailing for 11,500 seal pelts. She struck the first seals 9 miles off Groais Islands on 8th March. On 13th the ship struck a good size patch at Sacred Island, near Straits Belle Isle.


  • Rev. Ed PARSONS arrived last Tuesday, on a visit to his sister, Mrs. A CHAFE.
  • Mr. Alex M. DUNPHY, of Dunphy's Ltd., returned from St. John's last Tuesday.
  • Mr. and Mrs. T. A. GARCIN were passengers from St. John's yesterday enroute to Canada.
  • A daughter was born to Mr. and Mrs. James MORRISON, at there home, Monday afternoon.
  • Mr. and Mrs. Frank L. BARRETT are receiving congratulations on the birth of a son on Wednesday, April 3.
  • Hon. Sir J. C. PUDDISTER was a passenger on yesterday's express train enroute to Montreal for medical treatment.
  • Rev. G. HOWSE left by Friday's express on a visit to St. George's.
  • Master Jim COOPER is visiting relatives in Robinsons.
  • Mr. W. STEPHENSON left by Friday's express, accompanied by his daughter, Mrs. GRANT, on a visit to her home in Glace Bay, N. S.
  • Mr. Arthur MEWS, C.B.E., and Mrs. MEWS went west by yesterday's express train on a trip to Canada and United States.
  • Mrs. B. STRONG who was here spending a while with Mrs. W. J. MILLEY, has gone to St. John's on a visit to her sister-in-law Lady SQUIRES.
  • Mr. Chas. R. BELL who had been on a business trip to California, returned last week, and spent a short time in Curling and Corner Brook.
  • Mr. S. O'DRISCOLL of the Aguathuna Co-Operative Society, who had been to St. John's on business, spent the day at Corner Brook and proceeded to St. George's on Friday.
  • Messrs Harvey BISHOP and Hilliard BUTT who were cruising some timber areas at Middle Arm returned to their homes last week, after a very pleasant trip and meeting with many old friends both in the Arm and at Woods Island.
  • The five Norwegian steamers engaged in the Newfoundland seal hunt were reported last week having secured 18000 seals.
  • The fifth contingent from Newfoundland for the Navy, has reached England, according to broadcast announcement.

August 14, 1940
The first licence to sell liquor in the Bay of Islands was granted to THOMAS HALL of Benoit's Cove May 1, 1878.

August 14, 1940
August 2 -father of Mrs. Douglas Loader of Summerside died. (note: I had 1939 written in margin of my notes)

September 1940
Death of Edmund OLFORD at parents home, Mr and Mrs John OLDFORD, East Valley Road.

October 1940
Violet, daughter of Mr and Mrs Joseph H BRAKE married Stewart, son of Francis WHITE, Trout River. Her siblings were Harry, Una and Cyril.

October 30, 1940
Summerside Notes:

  • To Mr. John HUNT who celebrated his 78th birthday anniversary on October 12, we offer hearty congratulations.
  • Congratulations to Mr and Mrs Fred Hunt on arrival of a baby daughter.
    (transcriber's note: John Mills HUNT (1862-1947) was the son of George Benjamin and Lucy (MILLS) HUNT. Fred was John's son.)

Wednesday, November 27, 1940
(transcriber's notes: there are not complete entries, just list of names found in article)

  • Death of Mrs. Arthur HYNES (Margaret) Petries Crossing. Left her husband, father Mr. William HEARN, brothers Michael and William, brother Malcolm living in Boston, sister Mrs. Frank DOYLE in Canso, N.S.
  • Married Henley Harbour, October 4th, Lucy STONE daughter of Elizabeth and the late John STONE, to Arthur BRADLEY, son of Augustus Bradley, Indian Cove. Lucy had brother Alfred and sister Grace.
  • Death of Mrs. Mary ORGAN, age 83 at her Sydney home. From Rose Blanche.

The Western Star 1940
(transcriber's notes: there are not complete entries, just list of names found in article)
Obituary of Mrs. William MORRISON, died Saturday afternoon, age 71. Survived by her husband, one son James, brother Mr. George PERRETT Sr. (Transcriber's note: believe this is Caroline Julia Morrison, who died December 21, 1940)

All of the above items for 1940 were submitted by Linda Elkins-Schmitt



Page contributed by various Contributors

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday February 20, 2013 AST)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]