Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

Twillingate Sun
January - February

January 3, 1891


On Tuesday morning, Dec 2nd; Portugal Cove: Rev. Theodore R NURSE, incumbent of Brooklyn, Bonavista Bay, was united in Holy Matrimony to Miss Hannah L. WEBBER, daughter of William H. WEBBER, Esq. of Portugal Cove at St. Peters Church, by the Rev. Walter SMITH. The bridesmaids were Miss Susie and Miss Katie WEBBER, and the groomsmen were Mr. Henry BISHOP and Mr. John WEBBER Jr. Mrs. NURSE has been a zealous church-worker at the Cove, and will be much missed. Rev. Mr. NURSE came to take duty here for the Incumbent, during the sad time that he was ill at the hospital in St. John's last spring.


Veteran Seal Killer Departed: Captain Mark DELANEY, of Bay Roberts…Capt. DELANEY was fifty years employed in the business of the colony; for forty, in that long period, he sailed out of J. & W. STEWART's house; he also saw many years of service with John MUNN & Co., and in all that long period enjoyed the confidence and esteem of his merchants and men. He was father of Captain Patrick DELANEY, commander of the SS VOLUNTEER.


The coastal steamer Conscript, Capt. WALSH, arrived last night, having left St. John's Wednesday morning. If not prevented by ice, she will go as far as Conche. The following were passengers: Messrs. J. MANUEL and son, James STRONG, Joseph STRONG, M. OSMOND and R. QUIRK. It is feared that by the time the Conscript gets back to St. John's this time the ice will prevent her from making another trip. This will be a serious matter as a large quantity of provisions, etc., were shut out, this time and unless another steamer comes supplies will be very short. In the interest of this important district, one of the sealing steamers should be dispatched direct, and we trust the Government will intercede and obtain this boon for us. Besides there are thirty or forty of our people who left here in craft who want to get back, and this would be the only chance for them.


A correspondent writing from Point Limington (sic) (Dec. 4th) says: - We had a very severe storm here on Friday this 29th ult. Mr. PHILLIPS' large lumber loading wharf piers for securing logs, booms, and dam for floating logs at low water were all washed away and part of the track to the wharf. Mr. STUCKLESS lost two or three boats, John SHERRIN one wharf and a lot of gear, and my own wharf which will take $100 to replace was also washed away - in fact up here in still water, the damage done will exceed over $500. The measles have been very bad also in this settlement but most of the people are now recovering. Mr. PHILLIPS has a smaller crew than usual in the woods but is going to lumber quite extensively on Gander this winter.


January 10 1891


Owing to the accumulation of ice and slob, the CONSCRIPT did not make the return call at some of the outports, which was, no doubt, a great disappointment to many. The government however, has determined to send another steamer North, should the state of navigation permit, and if we are favored with off shore winds we may look for another visit from the steamer...The passengers to St. John's from this port were: Messrs. J.P. THOMPSON, MHA, W. TOBIN, W. BLACKER, C. FINDLATER, and W. BYRNE.


…A large fleet of American vessels already sailed, or is soon about to sail, on the Newfoundland winter Herring fishery, mostly with the intention to secure cargoes of frozen herring, although several will, if the conditions are favorable, procure salt herring and make an early return. Nearly fifty schooners engage in this business ! What a lesson to us Newfoundlanders this is well fitted to teach - us who have almost everything in our favor ! Late dispatches from the Westward state that herring are very plentiful at Rencontre, Belloram, Black River, etc...Who will set the initiative here or elsewhere, and endeavor in real earnest to fan into active life the Newfoundland winter herring trade - and not have the lucrative business, as it at present is, practically in the hands of outsiders? We are pleased to learn that one of the St. John's firms has determined to make a move in the above direction, and the coming winter, will have vessels engaged in the trade aforesaid in Placentia and Fortune Bays.


Mr. MUTCH, of Musgrave Harbor, has been fairly successfully in his agricultural and lobster packing enterprises at that outport the past season. He has put up some 800 cases of lobsters. He also works 30 acres of land, and the crops of potatoes, turnips, parsnips and cabbages taken from them have been abundant and of good quality.


His Excellency the Governor, in Council, has been pleased to appoint Messrs. A. WHYTE, L. THOMSON, R.D. WALSH, B. BOYLE, J. DULCHERY, to be a Board of Health for Little Bay, District of Twillingate; Messrs. James CHAMBERS (Burgeo Islands), John WARREN (Pinchard's Island), Benjamin FOOT (Tack's Beach), Thomas FOOT (Sandy Hr), and Michael TOBIN (Indian Island), to be a Road Board for Burgeo Island, District of Placentia and St Mary's; Messrs. PARSONS, Edward SLADE, to be a Road Board for Lush's Bight, District of Twillingate; Messrs. William LILLY, William BRADLEY, to be additional members of the Road Board of Exploits, Burnt Island, District of Twillingate; Messrs. Richard HAMILTON, John ROBERTS, to be members (additional) of the Road Board for Fortune Harbor, District of Twillingate; Mr. John WHEALIN, to be a member (additional) of the Road for Leading Tickles, District of Twillingate; Mr. David LEWIS, to be a member of the Road Board for Dominion Point, District of Twillingate; in place of James WINSER, deceased: Rev. W. TARAHAN, to be a member of the Roman Catholic Board of Education for Fortune Harbor, in place of Rev. R. Walsh (left the Island), and Messrs. John HAMILTON (Black Island), Michael BUTLER (Leading Tickles), to be additional members of the same board; Messrs. Richard PILGRIM (St. Anthony Bight), John COLBURN, (Little Brahha) to be additional members of the Methodist Board of Education of St. Anthony; and Mr. Alfred H. PEYTON, to be a Surveyor of Lumber at Twillingate, in place of Mr. W.G. PEYTON (left the Island).


On December 29, at the Methodist Parsonage, by Rev. R. W. Freeman, Mr. Augustus BURT, of Fridays Bay, and Miss Mary Ann SAMSON, of Black Island.


At Tizzard's Harbor, on the 30th December after a short illness, George, son of Aaron BOYD, aged 25 years. His funeral took place New Year's Day, and was largely attended by friends and acquaintances.


January 17 1891


The Rev. Mr. WINSER, well known in this community, having had charge of Herring Neck mission for several years, married a daughter of the late Dr. STIRLING, of this town.


The coastal steamer Conscript arrived here from the South on Wednesday morning, the 14th inst., at 10 a.m. She met with little or no obstruction in reaching this port, and, considering the lateness of the season, her arrival at the different ports must have given great satisfaction, and relieved the suspense of many passengers returning to their homes. She had several crews on board, who had left their vessels in St. John's for the winter, and if they could not have had the chance of reaching home, must unavoidably have remained in the capital or taken to the rackets and walked the long distance. After landing her mails, freight and passengers, the steamer departed again for St. John's. We understand that a resident of Fortune Hr., Mr. LANNEN, who had all his 'fit out' on board for a new schooner he is building, was compelled to land all the material here, as the Captain positively refused to proceed any farther North, though it was the general opinion that he could have safely got to Fortune Hr and back again by night. We sincerely regret the trouble and disappointment it must cause Mr. LANNEN, and it probably may have the effect of keeping 6 or 8 men idle during the winter, who would otherwise be in a position to provide for their families, and secure them from want. The Captain, doubtless, was working according to orders, and if so, we cannot blame him, but it is much to be desired that in cases like the one we allude to, he should be invested with a discretionary power, to act for the interest and convenience of the passengers, as well as for the owners. Under the circumstances it seems doubtful if the owners have not laid themselves open to an action at Law concerning of their failure to land the goods at Fortune Hr or Exploits, as the freight was fully paid at St. John's, and no ice to hinder the passage of the steamer. The Passengers to St. John's from this port were: Messrs. Thomas PEYTON, MHA and A. MANUEL.


St. John's, Jan. 16th: a man named John MURPHY was killed Wednesday on board of the steamer International, while discharging coals at MORRIS's premises, South Side.


Four bodies belonging to the brigantine Lantana which was lost at Shag Rock, St. Mary's Bay on the 4th instant, have been recovered. She was bound here from New York at the time, with a cargo of hard coal.


The Viola, Capt. JOLLIFFE arrived Monday; Carthaginian yesterday from Liverpool; Conscript today.


Two hundred persons died of diphtheria in Halifax last year.


(Advertisement): At Herring Neck, two Cod Traps, nearly new, belonging to the Estate of the late Henry MILES. For particulars, apply to Francis MILES, Administrator of Estate.


""The Vestry of Trinity Church… extended a call to the Rev. O.S.H. WINSOR, of Fairmouth, Minnesota, and on yesterday Judge CHEW received a letter from him, accepting the call. Rev. Mr. WINSOR was born and education in Newfoundland and for some years was an earnest and successful work in the Diocese. Since moving to Minnesota he has so impressed Bishop WHIPPLE that he speaks of him in his ecclesiastical reports as 'that indefatigable missioner'. His name was suggested to the Vestry by the Rev. C. Ernest SMITH, of St. Paul's Parish, Woodville, who knows him personally. Mr. WINSOR regrets that, in justice to the people of his present charge, he will not be able to be with us sooner than the 2nd Sunday after the Epiphany, viz., Jan 11th." The above is a cutting from the PRINCE GEORGE ENQUIRER, of Upper Marlborough, Maryland.... Mr. WINSOR has had but one church, situated in the heart of the town. He has a magnificent house with 25 acres of land, the best peach orchard in the neighborhood - altogether a very prosperous mission. The Rev. Mr. WINSOR referred to above is well known here. He was in charge of the Church of England Mission of Burin for some 12 years.


""Fought a Devil Fish Under Water"": On Saturday morning the divers, Messrs. LLEWELLYN and McHARDY, who are engaged in repairing the water pipes in the Narrows, had a narrow and exciting experience of a fight with an octopus, commonly known as a devil fish.


January 24 1891


During the week there have been several seals killed in the water by gunners, mostly bedlamers.


A few cases of measles and diphtheria have lately appeared among the children of Back Harbor.


The first overland mail for the North left St. John's on Tuesday last, and may be expected here about the third or fourth of February.


The L.O.A. Anniversary will be observed on Tuesday next, weather permitting. Tickets can be obtained from either of the following members, viz: at the Arm: Adam POND, John ROBERTS, and Wm. ASHBOURNE; South Side - George B. NOTT; North Side - Charles MAYNE; price 40 cents each.


A dreadful accident occurred on Saturday at Mr. BURKE's auction mart, Queen Street. The store occupied the high, four-storey, narrow building on the south west corner of that street and George's street. It has wide doorways on the front, on Queen street, for the purpose of receiving merchandise hoisted up outside. The victim of the accident, who is a Topsail man, was making purchases, and having completed his business, he left and walked toward what he supposed was the open doorway to the street. Before he discovered his mistake he had stepped upon a vacant space and fell from the second-storey to the ground, a distance of some 20 feet. The poor fellow had an arm broken, one hip contused, and was severely injured by the shock... he was immediately taken to the hospital where today, his condition is spoken of as being quite favorable, and tending toward recovery. His name is SLADE.


Drowning of WALTER KEAN: Captain A. KEAN arrived here from Norton's Cove last evening and we learned from him a few particulars of the sad drowning of his son, Walter. The sorrowful occurrence took place on the 4th. inst. On the morning of that day, the lad, who although only 13 years old, tended his father's shop, said to his mother that he would like a little recreation and, as a pond in the vicinity was frozen, he thought he would go skating... he had not been gone an hour when his body was brought home a corpse. It seems that in the pond on which the boys were skating, is an eddy which seldom freezes over. Walter was seeing how near he could go to the edge of it, when one of his skates came off and he was thrown into the pool. His brother at once ran and got a branch of a tree which he put into the boy's hand, but he took no notice of it and sank without a struggle.


The slating of the new Cathedral was completed on Wednesday last. The portion of the building which was under construction the past summer will…be opened for Divine Service on Christmas morning. Our Roman Catholic brethren have good reason to congratulate themselves on the rapid progress of the work. The exterior of both transepts is now as well completed...Mr. John CLARE of this town was master builder. Mr. Thomas GREEN of St. John's had charge of the stone-cutting, and did his work very much to the satisfaction of his employers; Mr. Michael TOBIN, Bishop MacDONALD's constant man of trust, conducted the framing and joining work. (from the Hr Grace STANDARD).


January 31 1891


No steamer was procurable to send North without giving security for an enormous sum in event of being ice-bound, which the Government could not entertain.


The Caspian, with buyers, arrived at Liverpool Wednesday.


Judge McNEIL, of Carbonear, died Saturday.


At Fogo, on the 6th inst., by the Rev. C.W. WHITE: Mr. George BAKER, to Jane, eldest daughter of Mr. Charles GILL, Exploits.


At the same place, by the same, on the 21st inst., Mr. James WHITTAM, eldest son of Mr. William WHITTAM, to Sarah, eldest daughter of Mr. Simon GREEN.


At the same place, by the same, on the 24th inst., Mr. Benjamin ELLIOTT, second son of Mr. John ELLIOTT, Twillingate, to Honora, youngest daughter of Mr. Samuel GREEN.


At Fogo on January 10th, James FITZGERALD, Esq., J.P., in the 78th year of his age.


At Fogo, on the 28th inst., of gastric fever, Eliza Mary, fondly loved wife of John T. CROUCHER, Esq., J.P., aged 39; she is deeply regretted by all who knew her.

MONEY FOUND (Nova Scotia)

Weymouth NS: December 12. James BROWN, living near Weymouth, in cutting down a willow tree near his place, found a purse containing $1000 in a hollow of the tree partly in bills, rest in gold. Mrs. PAYSON died at this place a few years ago, supposed to be worth considerable money which was never found. It is alleged that this was part of the money hid by Mrs. PAYSON before her death. The farm on which the old willow tree was cut and the $1000 found was formerly owned and occupied by William PAYSON, at one time a merchant at Weymouth, who died 12 years ago, leaving a widow and two sons - Walter and Randolph. Walter now lives at Joggins, Digby and Randolph near Weymouth bridge. Mrs. PAYSON was a sister of the late Hon. E.R. OAKES at one time M.P. for Digby and later a member of the legislative council. Her mind became affected by the sudden death of her husband and continued so until her death about 9 years ago. The farm was purchased from the sons some years ago by Jas. BROWN, the lucky wood chopper. The question of the ownership of the money is a legal one. But as possession is nine points of the law and as BROWN found it upon his own property, he will likely hold on to it - especially as the PAYSON heirs have no proof of how or by whom it was hidden there. The deceased William PAYSON was a brother of Adolphus PAYSON, who resides with his daughters, the Misses PAYSON, proprietors of the Central Hotel, 73 Granville Street, Halifax.


Persons found trespassing on or destroying the property of the Hospital will be prosecuted according to the Law and any person giving information, leading to the discovery or conviction of parties so trespassing will be rewarded. F BERTEAU, Stipendiary Magistrate, Twillingate, Jan 3.


The Subscriber, thankful for the very liberal patronage bestowed upon him during the past seven years, begs to give notice that all accounts with yearly patients will be closed at the expiration of the current year, when all sums remaining unpaid will be placed for collection, without further notice, unless satisfactory arrangements are made. And he would further intimate that, having a carefully selected stock of Drugs, Medicines, &c, together with a well equipped surgery, he intends in the future to give exclusive attention to private and casual practice. Thaddeus SCOTT, M.D., Physician Surgeon, Twillingate, Dec. 28? 1890.

METH. Missionary Meeting

We are requested to announce that the annual Methodist Missionary Meeting will be held on Monday the 2nd of Feb., at Little Harbour, Tuesday the 3rd. in the North Side Church, Wednesday the 4th., in the South Side Church. Collections in behalf of Home and Foreign Missions will be taken at each meeting.

TEMPERANCE Anniversary

""North Star"" Division, No. 15, Sons of Temperance, Anniversary will be observed on Shrove Tuesday, Feb. 10th, weather permitting. Tickets may be had from either of the following members: Chas. MAYNE, Norman GRAY, Rueben BLACKMORE, John Wesley ROBERTS, George ROBERTS, William NEWMAN, and W.J. SCOTT; price 30 cents each.

L.O.A. Anniversary

The L.O.A. of Twillingate intended having their Anniversary on the 27th of January, but owing to the blustery state of the weather on that day, it was postponed till the following day…At 7.30 PM Bro. John DAVIS, W.M. of Loyalty Lodge was introduced as Chairman by the W.M. of Crosby Lodge. PROGRAM: Address - Chairman; Chorus - choir; Recitation - Bro. George SPENCER; Reading - Bro. J.W. ROBERTS; Song - Bro. C. MAYNE; Recitation - Master Arthur YOUNG; Reading - Bro. Jno. PURCHASE; Song - Dr. STAFFORD; Recitation - Bro. J. FIFIELD; Reading - Bro. S. BAIRD; Song - Misses NEWMAN, ASHBOURNE and SNOW; Recitation - Bro. A W SCOTT; Song - Bro. C MAYNE; Reading - Thomas YOUNG.


Fogo Mourns; Shortly before 3 o'clock on Saturday afternoon, the 10th inst., surrounded by sorrowing friends and relatives, our venerable and worthy Magistrate, Jas. FITZGERALD, Esq., passed peacefully through the valley of the shadow of death, having attained the ripe old age of 78 years. He had suffered a great deal for the past two or three years, but did not resign his duties till within a few days of his death, when his illness compelled him to do so, and the news of his death was received with some surprise and regret. For over half a century he has occupied the honorable position of Stipendiary Magistrate, and was noted for his uprightness and integrity. Besides that, the duties of Poor Commissioner and Postmaster centered in him which he discharged with more than entire satisfaction. For the past few years, however, he has been assisted by his youngest son, Mr. Ambrose J. FITZGERALD, who is a general favorite. On Tuesday the 13th, High Mass was conducted by the Rev. Father WALKER in the R.C. Chapel...his remains were then conveyed to River Head and interred in the cemetery by the side of his beloved daughter, in the presence of a sorrowing multitude.


"A peculiar article, at one time very fashionable, called ""Patriotic Club"". It was last seen somewhere in the neighborhood of Tickle Point, during the last year. Considered valuable only by the loser, and the finder is welcome to retain it as long as he chooses. Any information as to its existence, will greatly oblige. Yours truly, Busy Body.


""The Mate had the Best of it"". A good story is told of a well-known sea captain who has more than once visited this port. He always allowed his mate to keep the log. On one particular occasion the mate became intoxicated, and was unable to attend to his duty. As the mate very rarely committed the offence the captain excused him and attended to the log himself, concluding with this: ""The mate has been drunk all day." Next day the mate was on deck and resumed his duties. Looking at the log he discovered the entry the captain had made and ventured to remonstrate with his superior."What was the need sir"", he asked, ""of putting that down on the log?' ""Wasn't it true?"" asked the captain."Yes sir; but it doesn't seem necessary to enter it on the log""."Well"" said the captain, ""since it is true it had better stand, it had better stand." The next day the captain had occasion to look at the log, and at the end of the entry which the mate had made was found the item: ""The captain has been sober all day." The captain had the mate summoned and thundered ""What did you mean by putting down that entry? Am I not sober every day?"" ""Yes sir, but wasn't it true?"" ""Why of course it was true." ""Well then sir"", said the mate, ""since it was true I think it had better stand, it had better stand." (EVENING HERALD).


We are pleased to see Mr. Frederick SCOTT back with us again, who comes to relieve his brother for a few months, Mr. A.W. SCOTT, Telegraph Operator. He was accompanied by his brother, the ice being so unsafe it took them three days to reach here.


SEVEN LIVES WERE LOST: A Newfoundlander among the Dead. (A) terrible accident occurred at Cunard's Wharf Friday night…a sight of the wrecked wharf with the knowledge that a number of human beings lie pinioned below the water by a mass of coal of wood (sic) is sufficient to cause a shudder in the stoutest heart. About 45 feet of the center of the wharf is gone, leaving the harbor end and the shore end standing. It would appear as if the very middle of the wharf gave in first, for the outer top beams on each side resting on piles are still in position, but they are sagging inwards, showing that the wharf fell first in the center...It is not surprising that the unfortunate trimmers standing on the top of the coal went down to their death without a shout being heard, as the falling coal and suffocating dust would immediately smother them even if the very terror of their position did not dumbfound is now almost certain that seven were drowned and it may be that time will show an increase over this, placing the number at eight and even ten. The list of those drowned now stands as follows: Michael POWER, foreman, 33 years, 153 Albermarle St, married, leaving a widow and 2 children. He was a son of William POWER, of the customs department...his hat was found floating in the water by James LANNON. POWER was the only man who had the list of those working under him. Nicholas BALDWIN, 65 years, 19 Lockman St, leaves a widow and a large grown up family. Henry WISE, 22, colored, single, belonging to Cherrybrook, just below Preston. Cornelius HAYES, married, Gottingen St. John KELLY, colored, 235 Albemarle St, married, leaving a widow and four young children. Friday was his first night on the wharf and this case is a particularly hard one. John BROWN, colored, Albemarle St, recently married.. his body was recovered. BROWN formerly was employed as a driver for A. McDOUGAL & Sons. William DINN, 18 years, came from NEWFOUNDLAND a month ago via Boston. He boarded with an aunt, a Mrs. POWER, on Upper Water street. DINN's mother is dead, and his father is living in Newfoundland. His body was found Saturday afternoon. The bodies of John BROWN and William DINN were recovered by diver STONE and were removed to one of the storehouses on the wharf where they still remain.


February 7 1891

Diphtheria in 1860

In speaking of the ravages caused by diphtheria in St. John's during the past two years, we seem to forget all about the terrible mortality by this fell disease here 30 years ago. In 1860 diphtheria appeared in this city in a most malignant form, carrying off scores of people every week during its stay, the death-rate some weeks being appalling. From the 1st of June to the 17th of September, a period of 3 months and a half, between 800 and 900 persons died of diphtheria, and almost every person in the city was in mourning. These figures will be regarded with interest when placed beside the returns furnished by our present Board of Health for a similar period (TELEGRAM Jan. 16).


At Carbonear, on the 8th January, at the residence of Hon. J. RORKE, grandfather of the bride, by the Rev. T.H. JAMES, assisted by the Rev. S.J. HULL; Francis, second son of Rueben BEMISTER, Esq., J.P. to C.M. (Minnie), only daughter of the late Rev. John GOODISON.


On 14 January, at the Queen's Road Congregational Church, by the Rev. T.HODGKINSON, Henry C., third son of Peter WINDSOR, Esquire, of Aquaforte, to Sarah, youngest daughter of Captain CROSS of St. John's.


There are several new cases of diphtheria in town at present, two or three resulting fatally.


The Methodist Missionary meetings took place during the week. On Tuesday evening it was held in the North Side Church, on Wednesday in the South Side and on Thursday at Little Harbor. Rev. Mr. TRATT from Morton's Harbor Circuit, and Rev. Charles LINCH from Herring Neck being present at the different meetings.


Captain MILNE, last year of the SS Esquimaux, will not come to Newfoundland this spring to prosecute the seal fishery. His command will be taken by Captain PHILLIPS. The same four ships will come out from Dundee: Terra Nova, Aurora, Esquimaux and Polynia; they will leave the latter part of the present, or the beginning of next month (TELEGRAM).


We are glad to note the return to Town of Dr. SCOTT who has been on a protracted visit to Fortune Harbor (we understand at the instance of the government), where Diphtheria has been prevalent. We are glad to hear that the Doctor's efforts have been very successful, and that the dread disease had been stamped out, there being no case when he left.


On Wednesday morning a serious mishap occurred at the lower premises of Messrs. J. MUNN & Co. on board the steamer Vanguard by which William STEVENSON received serious injuries. The man was at work, with others, lowering the steamer's propeller into its place, and from some cause or other the fall or rope by which it was being lowered slipped off the winch barrel, STEVENSON was caught in the bight of the rope and knocked down. His fellow workmen ran to his assistance, and it was then found that he had received severe injuries - a broken leg, besides being heavily shaken. The injured man was conveyed home and Drs. ALLAN and MARTIN were in attendance. The bone of the leg below the knee is broken - the large bone in two places and the smaller in one place. The fractures were set, and by the latest report, the man is progressing favorably. (H.G. STANDARD).


February 7 1891


Christmas Eve was observed at Musgrave Harbor in the very pleasant way of rallying our day scholars for the purpose of showing parents and friends what they (the scholars) had done and could do. DISTRIBUTION OF PRIZES: CLASS 1: Reading and spelling - Nora WHITEWAY; Grammar - Mark HAYWARD; History - Allan HAYWARD; Geography - Chas. WHITEWAY; Composition - Solomon HANN; Mental Arithmetic and Tables - Tobias ABBOTT; CLASS II: Reading and Spelling - Bertha WHITEWAY; Arithmetic - Harriet WHITEWAY. CLASS III: Reading and Spelling - Willie EASON; Arithmetic and Tables - Moses BRETT. CLASS IV: Reading and Spelling - Elizabeth HANN; Arithmetic and Tables - Moses BUTT. CLASS V: Reading and Spelling - Laura BRADLEY. CLASS VI: Reading and Spelling - Kenneth BRADLEY; General Improvement - Willis WHEELER. SPECIAL PRIZES: Regular attendance - Willis ABBOTT; Scripture Knowledge - Charles WHITEWAY; Consolation prizes - Annie BURT, George PARDY, and Noah HALLETT.

DEATH (Killed by a fall)

John MURPHY, a resident of the West End, met his death last night on board the steamer International, which vessel is at present discharging a cargo of coal at the premises of M. MOREY I& Co, South side…it was about 11.30 when the accident occurred. MURPHY was the man whose place it was to stand on the skids over the vessel's hatch and empty the tubs of coal as they were hoisted up into the wheelbarrows by which it was brought to the wharf. He was standing at his post, and was in the act of taking hold of a tub, when he missed his footing in some way, and fell into the hold... The man fell full thirty feet right down to the keelson. The cry he made in falling called attention of his fellow workers to him, and a number of them descended to where he was. He was quickly lifted to the deck, but it could be easily seen that he was already dead or in a profound stupor, for he never moved or showed evidences of life... The remains were removed to the poor man's late home in West Water street, opposite the gas-house, from which place he will be removed for burial. The deceased, though living in St. John's for some time, was a native of Placentia Bay. He was a comparatively young man, under 40 years of age. He had been working with Messrs. MOREY & Co. for some time. He like a number of people who come here to the city, had found employment in various places as a 'handy man'. He was a sober and industrious man, and is spoken highly of by both his employers and fellow workmen. He was married some years since, but was a widower at the time of his death. He leaves one child, who is residing with its maternal grandmother in Logy Bay. By the way, could there not be some sort of rail built around these skids, used in discharging coal? Accidents of this nature do not often occur, but the fact that they can occur, renders it highly necessary that every rational precaution should be taken to prevent them.


The terrible explosion on board the government steamer Newfield, 12 miles off Yarmouth, on Tuesday last, by which two Cape Bretoners and a Nova Scotian named ISNER were killed and five others wounded, was the kind of an accident that even those on board would never expect, and shows how uncertain life really is. The Newfield was down the Western coast supplying lighthouses, and when off Chebogue Point Tuesday afternoon, the powder magazine blew up with terrific force. William McRAE was instantly killed, and Daniel MORRISON died 2 days afterwards, both Cape Bretoners. Five other men, including Capt. GUILDFERD, were injured, some of them seriously. The ship was much damaged, portions of her deck and side being blown out.... During the summer the Newfield was engaged in laying a cable to St. Paul's Island, and the cutting of a trench through the rock there required a great deal of blasting, and a quantity of unused powder was left in the ship's magazine, where it is supposed that Daniel MORRISON the boatswain, who had access to the room, had carelessly left matches or a lamp, which caused the explosion. ALSO INJURED: John MORRISON: broken jaw, face, hands and body badly cut and burnt, will probably recover; Edward PARSONS, of Newfoundland, severely cut and injured, jaw fractured in two places; will recover; Thomas ISNER, boatswain of Halifax, badly injured, suffering from concussion, of the brain, died 4 days afterwards; D.A. SCOTT of Cape Breton, eyes, face and hands badly cut and burnt, will recover; Joseph ROSS, of Halifax, fireman, slightly injured. (HALIFAX HERALD).


LONDON Dec 26 - The TIMES announces that Commissioner SMITH, of the Salvation Army, has resigned. His resignation, the paper says, at this critical period in the history of the Army is most important, because Mr. SMITH, formed the one substantial guarantee that an earnest and businesslike effort would be made to secure the practicability of Gen. BOOTH's scheme of social regeneration. The secret authorship of IN DARKEST ENGLAND is now common knowledge, but the charitable hypothesis assigns General BOOTH the credit for having written at least two chapters of the book. General BOOTH's explanation is that he supplied a professional writer with the material for the work. The question whether General BOOTH, under these circumstances, was justified in allowing the book to appear as (if) it was written by himself, is one of the literary ethics whereunto we have no right to expect Gen. BOOTH to enter. We believe that when the whole story is revealed it will be found that the substantial parts of the scheme of city and farm colonies, originated with Mr. SMITH. Gen. BOOTH reluctantly accepting these statements, asserts that the ground of differences between Mr. SMITH and himself is that while Commissioner SMITH always opined that it was necessary to keep the social working scheme as distinct as possible from the religious work of the Salvation Army. Gen. BOOTH's method of inviting donations, despite his apparent willingness that the funds would be divided, leads to the mingling of all separate funds into one common fund, rendering it obvious that every contribution to a specific department sets a proportionate amount of the general fund free, to be spent at the discretion of Gen. BOOTH. Nothing but a sense of duty, the speaker continues, could have induced Commissioner SMITH to resign at so important a juncture. There must be something wrong with the scheme or the management of the funds. Those who promised donations are now entitled to withhold them until a full and satisfactory account of Mr. SMITH's resignation is given. He was the life and soul of the social reforming of the Army. It is likely his resignation is destined to be the death blow to Gen. BOOTH's more ambitious schemes.


Feb. 14, 1891

General Assembly

The second session of the sixteenth General Assembly of this Colony was opened on Thursday last by his Excellency Governor O'BRIEN, whose speech appears in our columns today, and for which we are indebted to the Hon. A.M. McKAY, Superintendent of the Anglo-American Telegraph Company.

Sons of Temperance

The ""North Star"" Division, No. 15, Sons of Temperance, held their annual Festival on Tuesday last. Divine service was attended at the South Side Methodist Church, when Rev. R. W. FREEMAN preached a suitable discourse. Tea was prepared in good style. At the evenings meeting, addresses, recitations, dialogues, &c. composed the programme, an account of which will be found in another column.

Diphtheria Report

A Little Bay correspondent writing under the date of 27th ult. says:- Diphtheria here is much the same as when I last wrote you. The full number of cases would now be about 16. The Board of Health is very active in the discharge of their duty. But we think there is still room for improvement on the part of the men who tend on the houses where disease is. It is said they go in and hold conversation with the inmates and then come out and mix with people in places of worship and elsewhere. This ought not to be.

From Northern SLOB

From Little Bay Mines Jan. 27, 1891. (To the Editor Twillingate Sun.) Dear Sir. -- We have been wondering, in this part of the district of Twillingate, why the Conscript did not bring us the mail on her last trip North. We are told she came as far as where your [?], and there landed the mail for this part of the Bay. Why this is we know not, and we would feel very glad if you could throw sufficient light on the subject to satisfy such benighted people as we, who live beside the dreaded slob covered waters. We wonder because up to the 19th of January we know of nothing to hinder this Company's steamer Perry going to any of the ports of call of the fearful Conscript for such she, her owners, or commander must certainly be, or something still worse. We would like to know if the Post Master General have any control over our Northern mails, or if Messrs. Harvey & Co. is running the entire job. If he has not, we consider his power very limited indeed, and we say no other man beside him takes the blame and no other man should have the power to lead him about as they please, to suit their own pockets. It is a [?] that to J.O.FRASER, Esq., we look for fair play in this very important matter: If Messrs. Harvey & Co. sent the Conscript at their own expense to acommodate the business men who ship largely by her, then certainly they deserve their hearty thanks, and of course we find no fault with.... [ several lines missing here. gw.] ... slob, would do his work satisfactorily to the people if possible and fear not what awaited him on his arrival at St. John's. The loss is somewhat considerable to all business men in this part of the Bay, especially to the Tilt Cove and Little Bay Mining Co.s. The company here intended shipping about $40,000 worth of copper which now must lay in store for six or seven months. This is a considerable loss to them as they had to get it put in boxes and casks to ship by Conscript, to ship as they usually do, boxes and casks would not be needed. Thus the delay caused by the mail is, no trifle to the sufferers and I am sure there is good ground for being annoyed. Hoping our winter mails will be pushed through with spirit and that our just claim will never be trifled with again. I remain, Yours very truly, NORTHERN SLOB.

St. John's News

(Special to the Sun). St. John's, Feb. 12. On Friday evening last the Government party presented Honorable R. BOND with an address, accompanied with a magnificent clock as a token of esteem for his patriotic services, to which he appropriately replied. Sir Robert PINSENT lectured in the Athenaeum Monday evening. His subject was, ""St. John's as it was, as it is, and as it will be,"" which was ably handled. An house belonging to a man name GUSHUE, of Whitbourne, was destroyed by fire Monday night with nearly all its contents. The first overland mail arrived Monday evening. We have had changeable weather here lately; on Saturday it was pouring rain, and Sunday it was freezing severly.


On the 4th inst., the wife of Mr. William BARRETT of a daughter.


Yesterday, of diphtheria, Robert, second son o William and Mary J. WELLS, aged 9 years."The feeblest lamb amidst the flock, Shall be its Shepherd's care, While folded in his Saviour's arms, He's free from every snare.""


At New Bay, Jan. 6th, Edmund John, only child of Peter and Elizabeth MOORS, aged 6 months and 25 days."Gone to sing with the angels in Paradise.""


Feb. 21, 1891"

Fire Fatality

St. John's, Feb. 20. Early Saturday morning a dwelling house occupied by John and George BADCOCK, Bay Roberts, was destroyed by fire. It started from the kitchen, and before the sleepers were aware the whole down stairs was in flames. George, whose part of the house was burning, dropped from a second story window to the ground; his wife passing the children out, going from window to sleeping room through flames until she rescued all except one, when her night dress, and that of the child in her arms took fire, and to save herself she had to jump, still retaining hold of her babe. Mrs. BADCOCK went through the burning house six times with a child in her arms each time, and when at last she was compelled to jump, had to leave a little eight year old girl to perish in the flames. In leaping from the burning house the heroic mother had one leg broken. BADCOCK's, who are struggling fishermen, lost everything. An appeal for charity on their behalf, was liberally responded to by many.

Man & Servant Perish

Frederick SQUIRES and his servant, Lizzie NOSEWORTHY, left town for Broad Cove last Saturday evening, and being stormy they strayed from the path and drove into an open stream, Windsor Lake. SQUIRES body was found on the surface of the ice Monday, and search subsequently revealed a lamentable fact that the girl, horse and slide were on the bottom. It is surmised that SQUIRES had also fallen through but scrambled out and got frozen to death going to search for help.

Large Funeral

Robert McNEILY, Esq., died Monday morning after a brief illness, deeply lamented. Funeral took place Tuesday afternoon attended by the Masonic Fraternity, Law Society, and a large concourse of citizens. The Masonic Fraternity attended St. Andrew's church Wednesday evening, when Rev. Brother GRAHAM preached an eloquent sermon, in aid of Tasker Educational Fund; the collection amounting to nearly one hundred dollars.

Local Weather

Weather intense lately, thermometer ten and twelve degrees below zero.


On Feb. 8th, at the Church of St. James, A. and M., Change Islands, by the Rev. C.S. CHAMBERLAIN, Incumbent and S. P.G. M., Mr. William PORTER to Miss Janet DOWALL.


On Jan. 31st, at Change Islands John CHAFFEY, aged 73 years.


Contributed by George White (2002)
Jan 3, 1891 to Feb. 7, 1891 transcribed by Jill Marshall (December 2002)
Feb. 14, 1891 to Feb 21, 1891 transcribed by Jack Montgomery (December 2002)

Page Revised by Craig Peterman (February 2003)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]