Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

Twillingate Sun
March - April

March 2, 1883

For Sale

At Purcell's Harbor, A Trap Skiff, well built and is in good condition. Mrs. James ANSTY

SUF Joe Batt's Arm

Joe Batt's Arm - Dear Sir: Will you kindly give space for the return of ""St.John's"" Lodge No. ll SUF Joe Batt's Arm and Barr'd Island, for the year 1883 - Viz No. on roll: 123, No in Red 17, No. in White 27, No. in blue 79, No. deceased 1, No. sick 2, No. withdrawn 2, No. rejected 1, The Financial Statement is as follows: Debits: To amount expended on Hall... 114,13s, 1p; Working Expenses... 0, 4s, 3p; Capitation Tax (two years)... 4, 10s, 0p; Mortality Money... 3, 5s, 4p; Balance in Hand... 50, 15s, 7p. Credits: By balance from Year 1881... 133, 6s, 8p; Income for year 1882.... 40, 1s, 7p. Total 173, 8s, 3p. Lodge met at new hall on the 17th January for the purpose of installing the officers for the year, Senior Past Master, Brother Rev C. MEEK, being present took charge of the Lodge for a short time and installed: Bros, John BRETT, Nathaniel BRETT, James LEWIS, Richard FENNEMORE, Absolam TREKS, Philip CURNEW, Secretary, and Joseph PEARCE, Treasurer. Committee: Bros. Charles BRETT, Chairman Jonathan BRETT, and Abraham TREKS, for Joe Batt's Arm; Brothers William GOODWIN, Ambrose COFFIN, and James JACOBS, for Barr'd Islands. Our Lodge has been doing good work since the foregoing returns were made out, having up to date initiated ten new members and passed about as many to the Blue degree. We had a march out on the last day of January which was followed by a tea for nearly 150 persons, and concluded with a Ball at night, discription of which I have no doubt you will receive from some other source. Thanking you for time and space and with kind regards. Yours very truly - Philip CURNEW, Sec.

Not an Opressor of Widows

Sir: In a recent issue of your esteemed paper, I read with much astonishment, a letter signed ""Sun Eclipse"" and couched in such terms, that I must conclude it refers to me. The letter accuses me of being avaricious and to the ""Fatherless and the widow"", and of having written on to St. John's for a position held by a lately deceased resident. I take this opportunity to emphatically deny these statements. Shortly after my arrival at Leading Tickles, I was deputed to fill the vacant position of Chairman of the Road Board, as being the only competent person, (at least at the time), willing and able to fill it. I never asked for the position, neither did I curry favour with anyone to gain it. I have objected, and I object to the situation of the Way Office. It does not facilitate business in any way, but it is only from a business point of view I objected. I have no private spleen or ill feeling towards any of the residents, and I happen to know that the letter did not emaniate from anyone in Leading Tickles, but from an adjacent Harbor, and I give "Sun Eclipse" this advice, that in the future, please let honest people alone, and if he wishes to ""Eclipse"" himself or others, and not finding a subject for his able pen outside of his own borders, please to take up a few of the grievances of his own Port and give them a genteel airing through the agency of the press. I am sir, yours &c., G.H.P. Feb 16, 1883.


March 9, 1883


On Feb 28th, the wife of Mr JACOB MOORS, of a son.


On Tuesday last, 6th inst., after a lingering illness, Mr. James STUCKLESS, aged 82 yrs. His funeral took place yesterday from his late residence North Side, Twillingate. Mr. James STUCKLESS being an old and respected member of the North Star Division Sons of Temperence, the Society formed in procession at their Division Room at 2:39 p.m. marched to the late abode of deceased, and accompanied his remains to the place of internment as a last token of respect to their departed brother.

House Fire

Dear Sir: If you can find space in the Sun for the following you will oblige: On Feb 3rd, Mr John CURTIS's dwelling house at Brooklyn, Goose Bay was destroyed by fire. The soot in the stove pipes first took fire and ignited the roof which burst into a mass of flame. A strong North East breeze added to the consternation, and the flames soon did its destructive work. In ten minutes after the fire was discovered, it was impossible to enter the house, as fire and smoke were issuing from the windows and doors, all round the building, and in half an hour it was razed to the ground, leaving a hard working man and his family in very desitute circumstances, as the building and its contents were entirely destroyed. Great sympathy is felt for Dr. BROWN who was boarding in the house and who lost everything. We would respectfully appeal to a benevolent public on behalf of the sufferers. Gifts of blankets or money will be gratefully received.

The Cold Dip

On Saturday night (says Monday's Mercury, Feb 12,) the most intense cold known here for thirty or fourty years, was experienced. The thermometer in exposed areas stood at 14 or 15 degrees for below zero, and we are informed that in Mr. DELANEY's observatory, the reading was 20 degrees below zero. This intense cold was of very short continuance. We understand that on Thursday night at Twillingate, the thermometer stood at 16 degrees below zero. [Note: This is measurements on the Farenhite scale.GW]

Accident Pouch Cove

We regret to hear that a serious accident, but happily involving no loss of life, occurred yesterday at Pouch Cove, producing very severe injuries to an old and respected inhabitant of that place - Mr. Nathaniel WILLIAMS. While out shooting sea fowl, his gun burst, inflicting severe wounds in his arm. He suffered intense pain, the injured member being very much cut and bruised. He was attended to and the wounds bound up with all possible dispatch, but it will be some time before Mr. WILLIAMS will regain the use of his limb. - Mercury.


March 16, 1883

Mark Brett

The following was received by Mark Brett: Dear Sir and Brother: I am requested by the officers and brethren of S.U.F Nipper's Harbor Lodge # 39, to forward you enclosed order on W. Waterman & co., (5) voted by them as a partial compensation for your loss by fire on Dec. 14, 1882. Please return receipt of same and oblige. Your's fraternally, S.J. BLACKLER, Sec. Mr. BRETT also acknowledges the following from Fortune Harbor: Capt. Alexander GILLISPIE, 2. Richard GILLISPIE, 1. Owen BUTLER, 2. Stephen McLAUGHNAN, 1. Michael McLAUGHNAN, 1. Capt. Patrick BRIEN, 5. John POWER, 1. Samuel GILLISPIE, 2, 6s. Mr. Michael BRIEN, Watson's Cove, 5.


March 23, 1883

Way Office

Leading Tickles, March 16, 1883. Dear Sir: Permit me through your [?] paper to say a word with regard to the Way Office of this locality, which on account of its being situated at the East Tickle, distance about two miles from Leading Tickles, properly speaking any person a resident, would term it the Way Office of New Bay, but it cannot be such, as there is an Office at New Bay, only three miles from East Tickle. It may be necessary to have a Way Office at the above named place, but if so, it is far more necessary to have one at Leading Tickles, as the Office of the former place is of no service to the latter, where there are three business establishments and over 50 families in its vicinity, whereas East Tickle contains only one business establishment and about eight families. Since the Seal Bay Mine closed, great difficulties have been experienced with loss of time and money to business men, in getting our mails from East Tickle, where I have known them to be detained for a period of four days after its arrival. The only means of reaching the Way Office is by going in boat, which is often prevented by wind and sea."Sun Eclipse"" whose letter appeared in your issue of Jan 17, must have known these facts, and that he was not writing the truth when he said he did not see the need of a removal of the Way Office. I coincide with Mr. G.H.P. in concluding that the statements made by "Sun Eclipse" referred to him, which statements I can also deny. Being a member of the Road Board, I am aware that at a meeting convened for the purpose of appointing a Chairman, Mr. G.H.P. declined to take that office, but finding no one else willing to accept it, he afterwards submitted, and for which services the members were thankfull to him and general satisfaction was [?] with the road money. The services of Mr. G.H.P. in the different positions he has held since his arrival among us, I can safely say has been fully appreciated by the people in general of Leading Tickles, and I have reason to believe that he has the good wishes of them all. Hoping that the Authorities will look into the subject of our Way Office, and have it placed more in the centre of this locality, and also that they may cause the Mail steamer to call here. I remain, Sir, yours truly, An Old Resident.

Vessel Abandoned

A schooner belonging to W. Waterman & Co., left Leading Tickles for Nipper's Harbor on Sat 3rd inst., for the purpose of getting supplies for the ice. The schoonor being unable to get into Nipper's Harbor in consequence of it being filled with ice, lay outside at the edge. On the following Sunday the wind blew strong with snow drifts, when the schooner parted her lines and went adrift. The vessel at the time having but a small quantity of provisions on board, the crew (which numbered near 20) did not think it prudent to hold on to her, as there was great risk of their being driven to sea, so they consequently left her in their boats and nothing have since been heard of her. This vessel (we haven't her name) was quite new being built last winter. We understand she was insured in a Company in England. These are the facts as far as we have been able to glean them.


Since Monday last the weather has been unusually mild for this season of the year. The snow which has been fast disappearing before the genial rays of old Sol, has of late received an impetus from rain showers. The prevailing winds being Westerly has made the prospects of our landsmen having a ""haul"" of sea's[I think this is a misprint and likely should read ""seals"" GW] this spring anything but good; and it is the general opinion of experienced men that the ice is now 50 or 60 miles from land.

Seal Fishery

The following schooners supplied by W. Waterman & Co. (some of which have already sailed), will prosecute the Seal fishery this spring. Success M. BRETT, Welcome Home C. BRETT, Flamingo . J. SEVIOUR, British Queen .. J. DALLY, Lily Dale . G.SNOW, Volunteer ..... S.WELLS, Rover's Bride .... J. RIDOUT, Wild Wave .... E. DALLY & Juno ..... DWYER.


At the Parsonage, Little Bay Islands, on the 1st of Feb by the Rev J. LISTER, Mr. William Henry TAYLOR of Cupids, Conception Bay to Miss Elizabeth JONES of Little Bay Islands.


At Boot Harbor, Hall's Bay, on the 13th Feb, by the same, Mr. William BARNES of Boot Harbour, to Miss Tryphenia DAVIS of Harbour Grace.


At the same time and place, by the same, Mr. Uriah ROWSELL, to Miss Sarah BARNES, both of Hall's Bay.


On Tuesday, 13th inst., after a lingering illness, Mrs Ruth GUY, aged 86 years.


At Wild Cove, Moreton's Harbor, on the 8th inst., of brain fever, James , fourth son of Mr. Elias EARLE, aged 5 yrs.


April 6, 1883


On Thursday night, about 8 o'clock, a fire occurred in the house belonging to a man named MOREY. It seems that a quantity of hay was stored near the chimney, which was defective, and the fire burnt through, ignited the dry material and in a short time the building was wrapped in flames. No one appears to have been in the house at the time. The neighbors however, as soon as the alarm was given, made a strenuous effort to extinguish the flames, but without avail. The building was consumed with nearly all its contents. Although the Fire Brigade were promptly on the spot, yet they could do little except in the way of protecting a house near by, belonging to a man named Richard LUTHER, which was saved by being covered with snow. The other accident to which I refer took place on the South Side on Saturday morning. A woman whose name I may not mention, very discreetly locked her door and went out to a neighbour's leaving her three small children in the house. While taking a cup of tea with her friend an alarm of fire was given and rushing back to her dwelling she discovered one of the children, a poor little thing about two yrs and 6 mos, actually burnt to death. No doubt the house together with the other two children would have been consumed, only someone passing by, happened to hear their cries, and effected an entrance in time to put out the fire and save them.


April 6, 1883


At Black Island, on the 22nd Mar, the Tilt of Mr. William McCARTHY was destroyed by fire. About two hours after the occupants had retired for the night, Mr. McCARTHY thought he heard the crackling of fire, and upon opening the room door, found the kitchen all in a blaze. The only things that could be saved were the beds and bed clothes. If the inmates had been in a sound sleep it might have ended even worse. Besides some provisions, Mr. McCARTHY lost in the conflagration was all his fishing gear. It is thought the fire was caused by a hole in the side of the stove and some sparks must have got down in the seams of the floor. There being a can of kerosene oil near the stove added much to the rapidity of the flames.


On Thursday evening last 5th inst., regular meeting of the ""North Star"" Division, No. 15, Sons of Temperance, the following officers were duly installed (by the D.G.W. P. Bro. W. T. ROBERTS.) for the ensuing quarter, viz: - Bros George ROBERTS, Joseph COOPER, John LUNNEN, Edward ROBERTS, W.T. ROBERTS, Frederick LINFIELD, Tres., James HODDER, Jr., Edward HODDER, Samuel PAYNE, Silas FACEY. Bro Andrew ROBERTS Sr. was inducted into the office of P.W.P.

Seal Fishery

The schooners Volunteer, S. WELLS, Rover's Bride, Jas RIDEOUT, and the Bellorophen, S. FOX, have sailed from the firm of W. WATERMAN for the icefields, during the week.


April 7, 1883

Sealing News

The steamer Ranger, Capt BARBER, on her way South, put in to Seal Cove, (Fogo), on Sunday last, for the purpose of righting her deck cargo, which had been shifted by the shipping of a sea a short time before. The Ranger was filled below, and 1800 on deck. The following are reported by her, as in the same ice and ""footing up"" for 107,000: SS Resolute, A. JACKMAN, SS Bear, C. DAWE, SS Neptune, S. BLANDFORD, SS Commodore, S. WINSER, SS Iceland, A. SMITH, SS Thetis, FAIRWEATHER; also a fore-topsail schooner, and a fore-and-after. The seals were struck on Good Friday, by Capt. JACKMAN, about 90 miles NE of the Barracks. This was four days before any other vessel. The Ranger reports meeting with no ice since leaving the ice holding the seals.

Schooner Picked Up

On the 26th of March, while the schooner Sunbeam, MURSELL Master, was lying off the White Islands, in the ice, the Master saw a vessel about two miles distant. Upon close scrutiny with the glass, no person could be seen on board. The Master then dispatched some of the crew for this vessel, which on their arrival proved to be the schooner Endurance, recently reported in our colums as abandoned off Nipper's Harbor. The Endurance, we understand, was not at all injured, notwithstanding her being at the mercy of the wind and waves for 22 days. Mr. MURCELL then put part of his crew onboard the abandoned vessel, and both left for home, arriving at Herring Neck on Monday last. Since writing the above, we have been informed that the Endurance will come to Twillingate for supplies, and proceed to Leading Tickles to ship her crew, and from thence to the ice.


At Purcell's Harbour, on Mar 15th, Mrs Philip ANSTEY, of a daughter.


On Wednesday last at St. Peter's Church, by the Rev. R. TEMPLE, R. D., Mr Mark LUTHER, to Miss Matilda COLBOURNE, both of this town.


At St. Andrew's Church, Brooklyn, B.B. , by the Rev. Theo. R. NURSE, Mr. Robert MILLS, of Catalina, to Mrs. Rebecca MOSS of James's Cove.


April 13, 1883


On 27th Feb., at the Parsonage Greenspond, Henry Weston, and on the 7th March, Ethel only children of William and Margaret Ellen HOW.


On the 8th inst., at Puebla, Colorado, of consumption, George Goodridge, youngest son of Henry EARLE, Esq, aged 26 yrs.


On 18th Feb., at All Saints Church, Toronto, by the Rev A. BALDWIN, Frederick Charles EARLE of Fogo, to Louisa Julia, eldest daughter of J. C. HALDEN, Toronto.


On 27th Feb., at the parsonage, Greenspond, the wife of the Rev. Wm. HOW, prematurely, of a twin boy & girl.


April 20, 1883


Died at Fogo, April 3rd., after a short illness of six days, Louisa Frances, much deplored wife of Mr. PLOMER, aged 65 years. Mrs. Louisa Frances PLOMER, a native of Lance Cove, Bell Isle, Conception Bay, was a long and highly respected resident of Twillingate and Fogo, migrating to the former place about the year 1835, and living in the family of Dr. TREMLETT, the then medical practitioner at Twillingate. She married Mr. PLOMER in 1837 or 38. Removing from thence to England for 20 years she returned to Fogo where she has since lived, spending the greater part of her time imparting instruction to the rising generation. She was a Superintendant of Sunday Schools for nearly 20 yrs when she was relieved by the writer, and for the past 20 yrs a teacher of the Colonial and .... [a large section of this article was lost in copying GW] ... It is also perhaps worthy to note that by extraordinary frugality and self denial, she managed to preserve about 200 put by in better days when her husband held a good suituation, and even to add to it the sum of 230 of money and property from her own small salary as School Teacher, together with other little earnings, and is now bequated by her in the following remarkable and loving manner. All remembered within two hours of her demise: To Mr PLOMER, in care of her brother, 230. To four sisters each 10. To brother Geo HISCOCK of Lance Cove, 10. To two half sisters and two neices, 5 each. To Rev. C. MEEK and Dr. H. FINDLATER, 10 each. To Mr. STONE and Miss MEEK of Bar'd Isl., 5 each. To God Children in equal shares, total of 20. To Claude COOK and Edith MEEK, 10 each. To two nephews and Matilda CARTER, 5 each. To Church of St. Andrew, Fogo, 10. To Church of Lance Cove, Bell Isle, 10. To Cathedrel Completion Fund, St. John's, 10. To Mr. MARRIOTT, St. John's for Church mission for Jews, 10. Funeral Expenses etc., 25. Total of 450. The remains of the deceased was preceeded to the grave by about fourty of her bereaved school children at their particular request, and followed by thirty of the most respectible inhabitants of Fogo, as mourners, Episcopalians, Dissenters, and Roman Catholics alike, including a numerous concourse of all classes of followers."Verily she has departed and her good works follow her." "M""


On the 13th inst., the wife of Mr. Titus LINFIELD of a son.


On Wednesday last, Apr 17th, the wife of Mr. W. T. ROBERTS of a daughter.

Vessels at Seal Fishery

The following vessels cleared for the seal fishery, Port of Twillingate, 1883. Supplied by Edwin DUDER: Brothers, 40 tons, Elias WARREN, 19 men. Lady Blandford, 43 tons, Esau BLANDFORD, 15 men. Porcupine, 60 tons, James YOUNG, 22 men. Turtle, 44 tons, Thomas HICKS, 18 men. Delta, 32 tons, Thomas ASHBURN, 15 men. Mary Jane, 31 tons, John KEEFE, 15 men. Queen of the North, 45 tons, W. WATERMAN, 21 men. HWB, 20 tons, Reu. BLACKMORE, 10 men. Erebus, 30 tons, Chs VATCHER, 13 men. Supplied by W. WATERMAN & Co.: Success, 72 tons, Mark BRETT, 12 men. Welcome Home, 55 tons, Chs. BRETT, 18 men. British Queen, 46 tons, James DALLY, 19 men. Wild Wave, 34 tons, Elias DALLY, 17 men. Lily Dale, 48 tons, George SNOW, 19 men. Bellorophen, 42 tons, Sam FOX, 17 men. Volunteer, 42 tons, Sam WELLS, 17 men. Rover's Bride, 45 tons, Jas RIDEOUT, 18 men. Endurance, 41 tons, John HAGGETT, 16 men. Pretorous, 34 tons, Wm. WHELLOR, 14 men. Rosetta, 34 tons, Jas HODDER, 14 men. Betsy Purchase, 45 tons, Jas PURCHASE, 20 men. Supplied by Owen and Earle: Blooming Queen, 52 tons, John WARREN, 21 men. L.P. Pond, 50 tons, Geo. POND, 20 men. Isabel, 72 tons, Thos. LACEY, 16 men. Regent, 36 tons, Wm. POND, 16 men. Lucy, 51 tons, Philip FREEMAN, 18 men. Supplied by J.P. TOBIN: Sunbeam, 36 tons, Wm. MURCELL, 15 men.Supplied by Edwin COLBOURNE: Annie Laura, 39 tons, Chas YOUNG, 17 men. Supplied bu HODDER and LINDFIELD: Abysinnia, 49 tons, John HELLIER, 18 men. Increase over 1882 of 74 tons and 48 men.


April 27, 1883


On Friday morning last, the 6th, a man named William SUPPLE belonging to the South Side, left home with his horse and slide for the woods for the purpose of procuring a piece of timber required by him in the construction of a boat. Not returning home at the usual time, his friends became uneasy and several of them set out to look for him, but they returned late in the night after a fruitless search. Next morning search parties proceeded to the woods in the direction he was supposed to have gone, and after a short time, the unfortunate man was found dead on a pond with a stick of wood lying across his neck. It is supposed that while carrying the piece of timber he slipped and fell and the stick falling across his neck caused his death. His head was imbedded in his frozen blood. His horse and slide were discovered a short distance from the body. Mr. SUPPLE was a hard working, industrious man and leaves a wife and children to morn their sad loss.

Honour Due

On Friday last, Master Willie BAIRD, while on his way home from school, picked up a half crown, which he promptly brought to us to see if we could give any information in reference to the losing of it. Upon being informed that we could not, he requested us to advertise it in the paper, which request we readily agreed to; but before going to press however, the loser of this amount was found and the sum handed over to her.

Schooners Lost

The schr. Abyssina belinging to Messrs. HODDER and LINFIELD, was lost on the 17th. while engaged in the seal fishery. The Abyssia was running through loose ice when she came in contact with a heavy pan, thereby damaging her stem and starboard bow, and filling with water within three hours after the accident. The vessel was, at the time, about 50 miles East of the Grey Islands. The Master and crew seeing no possibility of saving the vessel, took their clothes, some wreck gear, etc., and proceeded on board the schooner Flamingo, of this port, which was lying some distance from them in the ice. The latter vessel arrived in port on Sunday last, having on board the shipwrecked crew. The schr. Porcupine, YOUNG Master, brought into port on Sunday last, the crew and wrecked gear of the schooner Avalon, which was lost a short time since. The Avalon sailed from Random, Trinity Bay, early in March and succeeded in getting as far North as Belle Isle. She was afterwards driven South and was lost about 60 miles NE. of Cape St. John. She had no seals. We have also been informed of the loss of the Schr. Havlock, of St. John's. This vessel came to grief about 70 miles off Fogo, into which port the crew were taken.


At Canning's Cove, Bonavista Bay, on the 16th by the Rev. Theo NURSE, Mr William CHATMAN, to Olivia, daughter of Mr. John LEDDON.


On March 23rd, at Ridgeway Cottage, Ottery, St. Marys, England, Mr. Charles D. MAYNE, age 75 yrs. The deceased was grandfather of Mr. C. MAYNE of this town.

Sheep Killed

It was only this weekwe were apprized of the killing of four sheep by dogs at Wild Cove, although it is nearly three weeks since it occurred. Those fine sheep were the property of Mr. Frank ROBERTS of the above place, and were, as it was thought, safely sheltered in the fold. But those starving hounds, with which the community is infested, effected an entrance through the doorway, making wholesale slaughter of the helpless sheep. This state of affairs is certainly vert trying.....

Vessels Arriving

The following vessels have arrived from the seal fishery since last issue: Bellerophen, 138. British Queen, 135. Flamingo, 39. Welcome Home, 61. Pretoria, 41. Lily Dale, 37. Wild Wave, 37. Rosetta, 10. Porcupine, 220. Lady Blandford, 68. Queen of the North, 54. Turtle, 23. Mary Jane, 8. HWB, 5. L.P. Pond, 40. Isabel, 18.

Shark Captured

A few days ago, three boys on their way back to school, and while crossing the Back Harbor Bridge, saw a very large shark in the water nearby. The youngsters, arming themselves with sticks, boldy made for the monster, and in a short but decisive encounter, sealed his fate. This being accompolished, they procured a slide and dogs to convey the carcass to their homes for further operations. On arriving there they deprived the body of the liver, which they rendered into oil, and when sold, returned them a shilling each. Of course the boys did not go to school that day, but returned home about 4 o'clock in the afternoon with a good supply of raisins, lickerish and tobacco, as the fruits of their heroic labors.

Perished on the Ice

On the 23rd of Feb. two young Englishmen went out shooting birds off Pass Island. The weather was moderate and the ice moved off from the shore. Shortly afterward, the wind freshened and it blew very hard, working up a storm from the NE. Nothing has since been heard of the unfortunate young men who are supposed to have perished on the ice. - Mercury.


Contributed by George White (2003)
March 2, 1883 to April 27, 1883 Transcribed by George White and Wanda Cole

Page Revised by Craig Peterman (March 2003)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]