Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

Twillingate Sun
May - June
Jun. 16, 1882

Personal----We are glad to notice the appointment of R.D. HODGE and J.B.ROBIN, Esquires as Justices of the Peace for the Northern district, intimation of which is given in a late number of the Royal Gazette. These gentlemen are worthy of the honorary destination thus conferred upon them, and we beg to congratulate them on receiving the same. Mr. TOBIN arrived here by the last Plover, from St. John's, having visited many of the principal cities of Europe during the past winter, accompanied by his daughter.


Dr. SIMMS of St. John's, and Dr. MALCOM of Fogo, came here by same steamer, on a professional visit, to Mrs. Dr. STIRLING, who we regret to say, has been very ill for a few weeks.


The Rev. T.W. ATKINSON left here per last Plover for Bonavista, for the purpose of attending District Meeting. He will then proceed to St. John's to be present at Conference. The other Methodist ministers labouring in various parts of the Bay also took passage by the same steamer.


R.P. RICE Esq., J.P. returned from St. John's eight or ten days since, having been attending to Legislative duties during the sessions of the House. Mr. RICE has occupied a seat in the House of Assembly, as a local representative for this Bay, for the past four years, and whether he is entitled to the credit for it or not, it is evident that more has been done in way of public improvement, during this term than for any two or three such periods previously. Few are likely to manifest such an interest in local affairs to those residing in the locality, and we think that the time is not far off when every constituency in the colony will delegate their persons to represent their claims in the Legislature. Mr. RICE deserves commendation for the energy and interest manifested in the sealing positions which went to the House from this district last winter; as well as in all others affairs connected with the district

Seek Shelter

The early part of the week several craft going to Labrador had to put into this port, being prevented from proceeding on their course consequence of ice. Favourable wind have since moved the barrier off a short distance and permitted them to get a little further toward their destination. Large fields still appear in the distance. A few good days good strong Westerly breeze, however, would now clear the coast.

Loss of Craft

A schooner owned by Mr. EMBRAY of Dildo, Trinity Bay, while passing through loose ice about ten miles from here, on the morning of the 9th inst., struck a large pan and began to sink almost immediately. She was on her way to Labrador and had sixteen or eighteen persons on board, some of them had to leave the craft poorly clad as they had not time to get their clothes before she was filled with water. Fortunately other schooners were not far off and they were soon conveyed to this port, and left for their homes by the Plover on Saturday morning.

Loss of Craft

A small craft owned by Mr. Benjamin MILLER of Trinity was run down by a larger one on the 5th inst. This poor man in charge had his summer supplies on board and lost, we were informed, about one hundred pounds worth.

Reward Offered (Part 1)

[Note: The beginning of this story is missing] ---- an early start, requested her to spread the table with his morning repast before retiring for the night, which she did. Next morning when she arose, he was gone, and although he did not return the same evening as was anticipated, nothing unusual was suspected. However on the second day matters began to assume a rather gloomy aspect. On searching the house, it was found that two suits of clothes and three shirts belonging to Mr. WHELTON, and a pair of boots belonging to a gentleman lodger, were missing. Mr. WHELTON returning from Fogo a few days after, and being informed of what had occurred, proceeded to examine the contents of his writing desk which stood on a chest of drawers in a private room, wherre he discovered that it had been opened and all his money, amounting to over one hundred pounds stolen, with the exception of three pounds which were enclosed in an envelope, and doubtless unobserved by the thief. It was also observed that JANES had an unusually large assortment of keys for the small amount of luggage he carried with him.

Reward Offered (Part 2)

Mr. WHELTON believes that JANES took advantage of his temporary absence, opened his writing desk, stole the money, locking up the desk so as to prevent Mrs. WHELTON from discovering his iniquitous theft, and to give him ample time to get far beyond the reach of those, whom evidently he thought would be after him in hot pursuit. This so suddenly and mysteriously disappearing speaks for itself. It is generally supposed, that he travelled to Greenspond, Catalina, or the Eastern parts with the hope of taking passage by steamer or vessel bound for St. John's. He seemed particularly desirous of making a farm in some part of Newfoundland, and if not thus engaged in some of the outports, may possibly be employed on the railroad, as he reported there, that he worked for some time on Nova Scotia railroads. He is almost 30 years of age, 5 feet 10 inches in height, and weighing about 180 lbs., is well built, has sandy hair, foxy beard and rather ruddy face. His language is well marked with Gaelic accent. He, in several places, has told conflicting stories of his history, and pedigree, among which he had intimated that he is a married man and deserted his wife in Cape Breton. Any persons giving intelligence of his whereabouts will be suitably rewarded we learn.


ELLOITT, SMART,-----At Change Islands on the 28th May, by the Rev. J. HEWITT, Mr. Joseph ELLOITT, to Mrs. Eliza SMART.


AYRE, EALES,----On the 1st June, at the residence of the bride, St. John's, by the Rev., Mr. MACNEIL, John B. AYRES, Esq., to Jessie, youngest daughter of the late John EALES, Esq., both of that city.

Shipping News

Entered Port of Twillingate: June 13,---Elizabeth McLea, BRAY, master, Cadiz, salt----W. WATERMAN & Co. Vooruit, HOMAN, master, Liverpool, general cargo---J.H. TOBIN.

Shipping News

The steamship Vanguard has been chartered by the American Government as a relief ship to proceed to Lady Franklin Bay with stores and fresh recruits to the Greely Arctic Expedition Party----Evening Mercury

Shipping News

Scores of crafts from various parts of the Island have arrived during the past week laden with railway ties. It is said that there are not less than 40,000 pieces of railway timber now afloat in this harbor. The eastern quarter of our harbor now bears a busy aspect. --- - Ibid


June 23, 1882
  Local and General

Arrival of the ""Plover""---- The coastal steamer Plover, with mail and passengers, arrived here shortly before eleven o'clock on Tuesday evening commanded by Capt. BLANDFORD for the first time this season, as he was on a visit to Europe during the previous trips and returned to St. John's by last Allan Steamer from Liverpool. We welcome him back, and are glad to see him looking well after his tour. In the past the Plover has generally been most punctual, but if she were just a little faster, or a bit slower (the latter is not at all preferable these times) she might often give more satisfaction to those who frequently receive large quantities of freight by her, as she almost invariably gets to port late at night, so that it is often very awkward for persons getting large shipments by her, which is nearly always the case with our merchants here. But perhaps the energetic captain may be able to give her more steam this summer.

Vessel Lost

A communication, dated Barr'd Island, June 18th, says: The schooner Trial from St. John's bound to Labrador, which struck a pan of ice off Twillingate about two weeks ago, and sank immediately, was picked up about two miles off Barr'd Islands and towed into port. When found she was floating her stern 5 or 6 feet above water and bows downward, spars, mainsail and foresail gone. Today the schooner, anchors, chains, seines, nets, traps, &c, were sold at public auction by Mr. William FITZGERALD, wreck commissioner of Fogo, for the benefit of owners, underwriters, and those claiming salvage. As the fish have struck in well on our shores, and the prospects of a good fishery more hopeful, as might be expected, the cod traps and seine, realised their full value, sundry other articles sold at fair prices. The hull, which is not many scores short of a hundred years old, certainly modelled after ""Noah's Ark,"" as it lay on the beach with a hole about eight feet by three in her starboard bow, sold for the sum of two pounds. The sum total of sales amounted to 234. The sale was well represented by the mercantile body of Fogo, or their agents.

Boat picked up

On the 15th inst., a small boat was picked up off Fortune Harbour. There was no occupant in it at the time. It contained a double-barrel gun, oil skin coat and an over coat. In the pocket of the latter, a letter was found addressed Timble Tickles (near the Mines). Two bottles containing gin were also in the boat, one was half empty. The initials G.M. were on each of the paddles. It is supposed that the unfortunate person who had occupied the boat must have met with a watery grave.

The Ripple

On the 15th inst., six of the crew of the schooner Ripple left White Bay for here in a small boat, launching it over the ice in places where it was impossible to row. They reached home on Friday last. White Bay was full of ice at the time and there was a great deal nearby all the distance along so far as Leading Tickles. The Ripple left this port early in April to prosecute the seal fishery, and was jammed in the ice the greater part of the time, being in White Bay for two or three weeks before part of the crew left, when provisions were short. The ice soon afterwards slackened, giving the schooner freedom, and she arrived here last Sunday morning with about twenty seals.

New Craft

A late Fogo date says: A new schooner named the Garfield, and owned by Duder's house, was brought here from Exploits a few days ago. She adds one more to the large number of vessels owned by that firm, registers something over 40 tons, and is scheduled to replace the Daisy lost at sea last fall. She is finely modelled, well finished, and is a credit to her builder, Mr. Frederick JEWER, of Exploits. She is equipped for the Labrador fishery, and is to be commanded by Mr. George BROWN of Exploits.

Passenger List

Passengers per Plover from St. John's:--- Trinity,---Rev. Mr. BEATON, Dr. MCKENDRICK, Messrs. GARDNER, CARTER and Miss LA[xxx]CONTE. Catalina,----Messrs. BRAGG, O'MARA, J. WALSH, RO[x]ER. King's Cove,----Rev. Mr. KIRBY. Fogo,----Messrs. ANTHONY, FITZGERALD, DEADY, BRENNAN, Mrs. BABE. Twillingate,----Mrs. WINSOR and Mr. WEBBER. Exploits,----Mr. J. MANUEL and son, and Mr. RYAN. Little Bay,---Messrs. GREEN, WALSH, ARCHER, J. WALSH AND WAY. Tilt Cove,----Rev. Father SHEEN and Mr. LANGMEAD. From Bonavista to Twillingate,----Rev. J. PINCOCK, and Rev. W. EDYVEAN. From Greenspond to Twillingate,---Mr. and Mrs. BAIRD.

Craft Damaged

The Schooner Margaret, Capt. Matthew DAVIS of Harbour Grace, came into port on Saturday morning last, with her bow damaged. While passing through ice about four miles off, she struck a pan which instantly made her leaky. By heaving to and filling up the hole, they managed to get here safely, where repairs were satisfactorily made. Four seven-foot plank had to be put in the Margaret's bow. It was soon done and she was ready to leave with the fleet on Tuesday morning when a favorable time [xxxxxx].


The Rev. Wm. TEMPLE and lady arrived from White Bay the past week. We welcome them back after the months of storm and frost that have elapsed since their leaving here, in Sept. last. The Rev. J. PINCOCK and Rev. W.H. EDYVEAN of Herring Neck came per Plover from Bonavista, where they had been attending District meeting. Samuel Baird, Esq., Stipendiary Magistrate for Greenspond, also arrived here same time. We welcome him to the community and trust that he may enjoy the visit with his many friends and return to Greenspond invigorated for the duties of his office.

Sealing News

The W. J. Vicherson, belonging to Mr. CROCKER, of Griquet, arrived here on Monday, with 3,000 seals. On that part of the shore seals were more plentiful than in most places, and if the weather had been favourable at the time, good work might have been done.

Waterfront Disturbance

On Monday evening last, a number of the crews of vessels in port, were rather noisy on the public street, and on being spoken to by Constable FRENCH, one of two of the gang gave insolence. He allowed them to pass, notwithstanding, without taking notice of the unbecoming expressions used, and in order to see that the public peace was observed, he followed them to Messrs. WATERMAN & Co's wharf, where fifteen or sixteen of them attacked him, and would probably have inflicted severe bodily harm, had it not been that some of the Constable's former acquaintances, belonging to Spaniard's Bay and Carbonear interfered and seemed determined that he would not come off the worst. One of the ringleaders in the crowd, Stephen MADDOCK, was taken in custody, the officers being guarded to the gaol by about two hundred men from different craft, the greater part of them being friends of the Constable. MADOCK was brought before the Magistrate the next morning and fined eight dollars and costs, the others got clear as they left port the next day before a warrant for arrest reached them.

Many Sails in Harbor

On Friday last, and the following days, our harbor presented quite a marine appearance, upwards of 150 sail of craft, going to Labrador, having been compelled to ""turn in"" owing to the ice which prevented them from getting across the Bay. On Monday night the wind and tide caused it to move off, and the following day the greater part of the fleet proceeded on their voyage. Among others, we were proud to see Mr. PARSONS, of the firm J. & B. PARSONS, Harbour Grace. He also left in his vessel on Tuesday morning.

Loss of Craft

A Labrador schooner call the Belle, HUSSEY, master, belonging to Port-de-grave, Conception Bay, was lost off Catalina on the 14th inst. She struck a pan of ice and sank soon afterwards, the crew having had barely time to escape with their lives. It happened that another schooner was near at the time which went to their rescue.

Political Support

Sir William and his Constituents.---- A correspondent in Trinity Bay, writing to the Mercury, remarks: ""I am sure Trinity Bay and Random Sound will stand by Sir William and his party of progress like bricks. The cutting of sleepers here last winter gave food to many a poor family that otherwise would have suffered hunger. The bad voyage of last summer was brought up by the poor man who got this job as their first instalment of railway work which will go on year after year. A better day is dawning on Newfoundland."" We (Ledger) have heard that Sir William WHITEWAY has been the subject of a deputation from some of the leading constituents of his district, who come pledging a continuance of their fullest support to him in the ensuing campaign.----St. John's Times, June 14.

More Forgery

Another Forgery Case.----John MCCAULAY, a native of Baddeck, Cape Breton, was on yesterday arrested by head Constable SULLIVAN on the charge of forgery. MCCAULAY has been for the past four years working in the mines at Little Bay and had returned to St. John's by the last Plover as a passenger. Shortly before arriving in St. John's the purser going his rounds to collect his passage fares, the accused handed him a cheque for 80 from which to take the 1 2s 6d., as his passage money. The suspicions of the Purser were immediately aroused and he told MCCAULAY he could not cash the cheque till they arrived in St. John's when he would give him his change. On the arrival of the Plover the matter was brought under notice of the Police and it was found that the cheque was a forged one; that it had been originally drawn by managers of the Little Bay Consolidated Copper Mining Company in favour of one Alexander CAMPBELL for the sum of eight pounds, and had been forged from eight to eighty pounds. The accused was brought before Judge CONROY on yesterday and sent to jail to await his trial in the November term of the Supreme Court.----St. John's Mercury, June 13.

Stabbing Affair

Serious Stabbing Affair on the Queen's Wharf.---- Between ten and eleven o'clock last night a disturbance occurred on the Queen's Wharf, resulting in serious injury to Edwin CONNOLLY, one of the crew of the American fishing schooner ""David A. Storey."" It seems several seaman belonging to the different vessels anchored in the stream were assembled on the wharf, and , some of them being more or less under the influence of intoxicating drink, it required very little provocation to bring on a row. Accordingly, an altercation arouse, during which one of the men drew a knife and stabbed CONNOLLY in the left breast, inflicting a wound more than an inch long, the blade of the knife penetrating to the bone. The injured party fell on the wharf, where he received two or three kicks from his friends after the stabbing. Subsequently he was taken on board the 'David A. Storey' by his shipmates and properly cared for. Dr. Shea, who was promptly in attendance, stitched up the wound, which he pronounced to be a serious one, but not likely to prove fatal. Had the passage of the knife not been intercepted, it is more than probable the worst possible consequences would have speedily followed. As usual, the police remained in the background until peace had been restored by mutual consent.----St. John's Telegram, June 15.

London Steamer Sinks (1)

Heart's Content, June 16: The schooner Florella, of Harbor Grace, has just arrived with a cargo of coal to the Telegraph station here. She is from Sydney and five days on her passage down. She brought in the boatswain and crew of London Steamer Pera. They were picked up in a boat about thirty-two miles south-east by east of Cape Race. The boatswain tells the following story of this latest Marine tragedy:---On the 31st ultimo the steamer Pera, Captain CHRISTIE, master, left Montreal for London, laden with a cargo of deals and cattle. The steamer called at Quebec, where only a slight delay occurred. The voyage was resumed under very favourable circumstances but soon became tedious and uncertain owing to the prevalence of dense fogs and the presence of numerous icebergs, besides many fragments of ice broken off these bergs while aground on the shoals. On Friday last, while passing Langley Island, the steamer grounded on a sand back at low water, but after a few hours detention floated off at high tide. The voyage was now progressing favourably enough, till Saturday evening, at eight o'clock, when the Pera running at full speed, dashed headlong into an iceberg. The Stroke was terrific. The steamer was actually cut in through the hull as far as the foremast. She filled with fearful rapidity and sank in less than five minutes.

London Steamer Sinks (2)

Barely sufficient time was given to cut away the boats and put them in the water. Three boats were lowered. The long boat was in charge of Captain CHRISTIE and contained beside him the first officer and thirteen of the crew. The second officer and twelve men were in the second boat, and the boatswain and ten men were in the rescued or third boat. Towards night the boats separated. All were pulling towards the direction of Cape Race. When morning dawned and the welcome Florella hove in sight, neither of the other boats was visible. It was however so densely foggy that they might have been within a few hundred fathoms of the schooner and remain unobserved. At the time of the terrible collision with the berg it was blowing a strong Southerly breeze and there was a dangerous choppy sea on at the time. The boatswain and the Captain of the Florella express the opinion that the chances of safety for the two missing boats are very good as they were in the track of the Gulf boats now running East and West almost every day. The great danger to be feared was the prevailing fog and the large quantity of scattered ice in the neighbourhood of the disaster. The wind was favourable for the boats to reach the Cape Race Shore, but unfortunately that shore would be a lee one and there would probably be a heavy sea heaving home against the land. But a very small quantity of water and provisions were scrambled into three boats.


BEATON----At the Congregational Parsonage, St. John's, on the 18th ult., the wife of the Rev. D. BEATON, of a son.


COURTNEY----At Little Bay Mines, on the 32 ult., the wife of Mr. John COURTNEY, of a daughter.


At Fortune Harbor, on the 4th inst., by the Rev. S. FLYNN, P.P., of Little Bay, Mr. Thomas LANNEN of Fortune Harbor, to Julia FRANCIS, second daughter of Michael DWYER, Esq., Carbonear.


At Tilt Cove, on the 13th April, of diphtheria, Alberta A., daughter of Mr. Michael SLATTERY, age 12 years and 7 months.


At Tilt Cove, on the 15th April, of diphtheria, Edwin, youngest son of Capt. H. WEBSTER, age 9 years and 7 months.


Jun. 27, 1882
  Drowning (Part 1)

Accident-----In the last paper a short account was given concerning a boat that was picked up off Fortune Harbor. Since then we have been kindly furnished with the exact particulars. ""A sad accident occurred somewhere between Fleury's Bight and Fortune Harbor, on Thursday, 15th. inst. A man named Thomas DAY, left Leading Tickles for Exploits early in the morning of the day in question. He was seen crossing New Bay. The wind was blowing fresh at the time, but not sufficient to endanger a punt running free. About 9 a.m., as a man named Joseph FOLEY and his brother were crossing from Indian Cove to Fortune Harbor, they saw a boat apparently unoccupied, drifting with the sail flapping in the wind. They rowed up to her and as they surmised found no one in her. They then moored the drifting punt and rowed along shore, but could see no vestige of the unfortunate man. As a paddle was not very far from the boat the probability is that the man had not long before fallen into the water.

Drowning (Part 2)

After a fruitless search for the missing man they returned to the punt and towed her into Indian Cove to await a claimant. On Wednesday, 21st inst., a man named George MARSH, of Leading Tickles went to see the boat. He found it to be the one which he had lent to Mr. May on the previous Wednesday. There is therefore no doubt but that the poor fellow found a watery grave, when off Fortune Harbor. He was a respectable man---- by trade a Cabinet-maker. He spent several years at Messrs. WINSOR & VALLANCE'S saw mill, where he bore a good character as a tradesman, but last autumn moved to Seal Bay Mine, where he was also well liked by all with whom he came in contact. His death has cast a gloom over the place, especially as his wife came down to join him after a winter in St. John's, by last Plover. Instead of meeting him at Seal Bay, she heard there was sad news of his death soon after her arrival. Besides his wife he leaves a mother and other relatives to mourn his loss, who deserve every sympathy in this, their sorrowing hour.

Newfoundlanders Abroad

Our thanks are due to Mr. F. PHILLIPS of Toronto, Ontario, for copies of the Evening Globe and other Canadian papers, received two mails since. Mr. Phillips is a native of Twillingate, and left here about 1867. By industry and perseverance he worked himself ahead, as Newfoundlanders generally do in foreign countries, and he now occupies a first-class position as Builder, Contractor, Land-valuator, &c., with houses to sell and rent. In a private letter to our address he remarks:---""Although being away from my native place, yet it has some charms that memory refuses to eradicate from my being. I am sure it gives me pleasure to be able to read in the Twillingate Sun the items that are interesting to me as no other can."" We fully reciprocate the good wishes which he also expressed for the welfare of the SUN, and wish him still greater success in the future. We are also pleased to note that Mr. W.E. THOMPSON, of Harbour Grace, a graduate of McGill College, Montreal, lately took his diploma as M.D., and soon afterwards received an appointment as medical officer of the Canadian & Pacific Railway Company. In mentioning it, a late member of the Harbor Grace Standard says:---- ""The friends of our respected townsman, W.H. THOMPSON, who has recently taken his diploma as M.D., at McGill college, Montreal, has been appointed a medical officer of the Canadian & Pacific Railway Company. We congratulate our young friend on his good fortune.""

Shipping News

The Young Builder, Captain Andrew ROBERTS, returned from White Bay on Thursday, the 20th inst., where she was engaged on a trading speculation for J.H. TOBIN, Esq., for a few weeks.

Shipping News

The Vivid, belonging to Messrs HODDER & LINFIELD, arrived from the French Shore on Wednesday having been employed there in a similar venture, and was fairly successful. She brought back about 300 seals, and left for St. John's on Friday morning last. Mr. LINFIELD proceeding in her. Up to the time the Vivid left that part of the coast, there was a very poor sign of fish.

Shipping News

The Branksea arrived from St. John's on Sunday afternoon with provisions &c., for Messrs. WATERMAN & Co.

Shipping News

The Mary Parker returned yesterday with full cargo for the firm of E. DUDER, Esq., having made the trip in eight days. We are indebted to a friend for late papers received by her.


The Rev. Father FLYNN came here per last Plover from Little Bay, and has been spending a few days at the residence of J.B. TOBIN, Esq., J.P. During the past winter, the Rev. gentleman's ministerial labors were confined almost entirely to that part of the parish, where his devotedness to sacred duties, and usual happy disposition, won for him the esteem of all classes, as was manifested in a communication from Little Bay, which lately appeared in our columns.


J.B. BLANDFORD, Esq., Stipendiary Magistrate for Little Bay, also arrived by same steamer.


The Rev. Wm. TEMPLE, who came from White Bay a few days before, took passage for St. John's by return of last steamer.


The fishery around this locality has not improved anything of late. Caplin have been plentiful.

Shipping News

The coastal steamer Plover arrived back enroute for St. John's, about midnight on Thursday. The following passengers came here by her:----Rev. Father FLYNN, Mr. BLANDFORD and daughters (2), Messrs. LOCKYER and ARNOTT, Mrs. KENDALL, Mrs. ROBERTS, and Miss ROBERTS, and four in steerage. For St. John's----Rev. Mr. MYERS, Rev. J. PARKINS, Messrs. KELLY, and WILSON, and Mrs. SLATTERY. For Trinity---Rev. H.C.H. JOHNSON. From Twillingate for St. John's---Rev. Wm. TEMPLE, Mrs. CANTWELL and son.

Ice Scarce Now

The ice is beginning to get scarce but there are still some strings about in the Bay. The Plover passed a little between Seal Bay and Cape John. There were 42 Labrador vessels ice bound in Webber's Bight on the 18th and 19th inst.

Fishery News

The fishery this morning by hook and line off the harbor, outside Cape Spear, and along the shore toward Petty Harbor was disheartening in the extreme. The boats with two and three hands, which went out at 12:30 a.m. returned to port at six and seven this morning with scarcely a dozen fish each, many of which even no larger than tom-cods. The supply for daily consumption was wholly unequal to the demand.--- St. John's Evening Mercury, June 23.


DAY----Drowned off Fortune Harbor, on the 15th inst., Thomas, son of the late Capt. DAY, aged 35 years.

Shipping News

Port of Twillingate. Entered.--- June 26.--- Voyager, Samuel DOWN, Master, Liverpool, 28 days, general cargo---J.B. TOBIN.


All Schooners or other Sailing Vessels, as per Merchant Shipping Act before leaving port for the Labrador (or elsewhere), should have her name marked on each of her bows (or quarter), and her name, and the name of the port of registry, shall be marked on her stern, on a dark background in white or yellow letters, or on a light background in black letters. Such letters to be of a length of not less than four Inches and of proportionate breadth. Any person or owner not complying with the Act shall be liable to a heavy fine; and any officer of the Customs may detain the same until the name of every ship (or vessel) is properly marked. F. BERTEAU, Stipendiary Magistrate. Court-House, Twillingate, April 14, 1882.


June 30, 1882

The schooner Moon Light, belonging to Mr. Henry MOORS of St. Anthony, bound to St. John's, put into port on the 22nd. inst. Mr. Moors left that part of the coast on Saturday, the 17th inst., and passed here on the following Tuesday. He got as far as Seldom-Come-By when the wind veered against him, and having about 2,500 seals on board, he deemed it advisable to come here to land them fearing that a tedious time to St. John's and the warm weather might cause them to run. The seals landed from the Minot Light were of a good quality, averaging a quintal and a half. One dog harp weighed over 240 lbs. When Mr. MOORS left St. Anthony, that part of the coast was free from ice, but there was a very poor sign of fish. One or two had been caught about Goose Cove. All the French fleet had arrived; so far as could be ascertained, the number this year will exceed no more than last.


The operations around our shore the past week have been well nigh a failure. In a few instances traps have done a little, but none whatever had been secured by hook and line. We understand that they have done pretty well with traps about Exploits, but the results with hook and line men have been as bad as in our own vicinity. It is said that fish were plentiful on the ground. Salmon have been very scarce up to date.

New Craft

Four craft were launched at Exploits within the last few weeks, namely - C.A.M. for Mr. Josiah MANUEL, J.P.; the Vido for Mr. Andrew PEARCE, J.A.M. Lacey for Mr. Richard LACEY, John Whitford for Mr. Thomas A. WINSOR, J.P. Four or five were also launched at Morton's Harbor, for Messrs. M. OSMOND, J.P., Thomas FRENCH and Samuel SMALL, respectively. One of the schooners built by FRENCH was for Mr. Reuben BLACKMORE of this town.

Boat Picked Up

Cape Race, noon - On Tuesday last another boat - presumably a steamers boat - was picked up at Frenchman's Cove, seven miles Northeast of the Cape. There were patent rowlocks in the boat but no oars. There were pieces of copper tacked on each side of the bow. The men who came from Frenchman's Cove, say that in every respect she is like the boat picked up at Cripple Cove. There are flags painted on them but they have not been identified. I have not yet seen the boats. It is thought here that both these boats belong to some steamer that came to grief against an iceberg either South or East of Cape Race. Both boats appears to have been in the water only a short time. - Special to Evening Telegram, June 23.

Loss of Schooner

The Silver Stream, John LOCKE, master, was lost off Cape John on the 15th inst. She left the Horse Islands on the 4th. April to prosecute the seal fishery. When off the Gray Islands her bowsprit and head gear were carried away, and she had to put back to repair damages, and left again on the 15th, running some 50 to 60 miles to sea, where very heavy ice was met with, carrying away sheathing and sustaining other injuries, so that they had to go to Tilt Cove for repairs. After leaving there the Silver Stream reached as far as Quirpoon, where she was jammed two weeks. While crossing White Bay on the way home, the ice being very heavy, her stem-plate was carried away, and having had to pass through rough ice afterwards the stem was not able to endure the collisions therewith, so that she became leaky and afterwards sank. It was fortunate that there was but little sea running at the time, otherwise life would have been in jeopardy. One time the Silver Stream was quite near the seals and had it not been for the mishap which befell her, the master thinks that a good catch would have been secured.


The schooner Emeline belonging to the firm of Messrs. Waterman & Co., called here from Nipper's Harbor, on the Wednesday night on her way to St. John's. The reports of the fishery from the Cape Shore and further North seem to be more encouraging than they were a week ago. There appeared to be a good deal of fish on the grounds and in some parts traps were doing well, but nothing, comparatively, was being done with the hook and line.


The Hercules gone to Sydney - The St. John's Evening Telegram, of the 23rd inst., (received per Mary Parker) says: - ""The steamer Hercules left for Sydney at 2 o'clock this afternoon, for the purpose of undergoing a thorough overhauling preparatory to entering on the Labrador mail service."


The last few days the weather has been very cold and ungenial for the time of year. For a short time it was real pleasant and summer-like, but the North-East winds and fogs have created such a chilliness in the atmosphere that one would almost imagine we have since passed into autumn.

Methodist Church

The Rev. J. PINCOCK of Morton's Harbor, will preach, D.V., in the Northside and Southside Methodist Churches, alternately, on Sunday next, morning and evening. In the afternoon he will conduct a preaching service at Little Harbor.


The schooner Voyager, arrived here on Tuesday last with a cargo of lumber from Point Limington Saw Mill. This is being landed near the Coastal Wharf and will be sold cheap by Mr. Hames HODDER.

Accident at Fortune Harbor

In account of the accident reported in last paper, which occurred near Fortune Harbor, the name of the unfortunate man should have read WAY and not DAY as was printed.


The machinery for a fish-manure manufactory to be erected at a settlement on Labrador, is now being constructed at Mr. GAMMELL's foundry. The enterprise will be carried on by Mr. GAMMELL and another gentleman conjointly. Of all the new-founded industries now so flourishing amongst us, this the last, has in it more certainties of success than any, for the offal which constitutes the material of manufacture may be had on the Labrador especially, almost for the cost of carriage. When the machinery is completed, further particulars respecting the mode of manufacture will be furnished to the readers of the Mercury. - Evening Mercury, June 23.


We are glad to find from the letter written by a Carbonear correspondent and published in another column, that a mineral discovery of a very promising character apparently has been made near the thriving town. The specimen forwarded is certainly excellent, showing lead ore, seemingly of good quality, and which on analysis may possibly be found to contain silver. The formations around Carbonear are such as warrant the expectation of finding ore, which now appear to be realized. A lead mine, if at all productive, is much more valuable than a copper mine. We trust no time will be lost in testing the new discovery. - Ibid, June 16.

Loss of Schooner

The schooner Cremore, belonging to Mr. John BOBBET of Burgeo left Sydney, C.B., on the 6th instant, for the former port. All went well until the 8th, when she ran against the rocks near Burgeo, and the crew were obliged to leave her. Owing to the dense fog prevailing at the time, they had no warning of their dangerous proximity to the land until the schooner struck. Consequently they had a very narrow escape. Shortly after being abandoned, the Cremore drifted clear and disappeared in the fog. - Evening Telegram, June 14.


Contributed by George White (2002)
June 16, 1882 to June 27, 1882, Transcribed by Jack Montgomery
June 30, 1882, Transcribed by Beverly Warford (May 2002)

Page Revised by Craig Peterman (December 2002)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]