Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

Twillingate Sun
July - August
July 4, 1882
  Near Drowning

We are informed that a very narrow escape from drowning occurred at Leading Tickles on Friday last. Mr. Robert ALCOCK, went off about a mile in a small boat to attend to his nets, taking with him his son, a lad of fourteen years. There was a considerable swell heaving in at the time, which made it difficult for him to master the object of his venturous attempt. He managed to get one net on board without mishap, but in attempting to sever the second, boat capsized, precipating its occupants into the boisterous waters. While in this predicament, an eye witness says that the boat turned over on the waves four or five times, but Mr. Alcock afterwards succeeded in getting his son and himself into the boat, which was three feet under water, when happily, a crew from the Nil Desperandum which was anchored off the harbor at the time, and another from the shore, quickly went to their aid and rescued them from watery graves. Being able to swim, Mr. ALCOCK endeavored to keep himself and the boy afloat on the furious waves, while the boat repeatedly turned over. The boy, we learn, was well nigh exhausted when taken on shore. The father, although not possessing the buoyancy of more youthful days, nobly combated the fierce elements, and we are glad to learn that both are now nothing the worse for the unpleasant dip.


We are greatly indebted to an esteemed friend at Little Bay for late telegraphic information contained in the preceding column, which was received yesterday per schooner Maggie, Capt. MCLEAN, who arrived here from that place. We also have to thank the Rev. Father FLYNN, who has been a guest of J.B. TOBIN, Esq, J.P., for a little while, for likewise furnishing us with another copy which, we presume, he received per same schooner.


The Schooner Nil Desperandum, Capt. Wm LANNING of Exploits, arrived here last evening from Leading Tickles, having left the Cape Shore a few days since. The reports of the fishery appear to be something better than formerly. Mr. LANNING informs us that between one and six o'clock on Wednesday last, boats at Nippers Harbor and Round Harbor caught from two to three qtls., each. Traps have fared well in many parts. On Monday, the 26th ult., Mr. SQUAREY's crew at Cape John, secured some 60 qtls. The prospect on that shore is somewhat encouraging at present.


The Rev. J. PINCOCK, of Morton's Harbor, preached in the South-side Methodist church on Sunday morning last and in the North-side church in the evening, at the usual hours. On each occasion his discourses were impressive and edifying and appeared to be much appreciated by the congregations. He also preached at Little Harbor on the afternoon.

Ship News

Port of Twillingate - Entered - June 30 - Lapwing, William SMITH, Cadiz, salt- 50 days- E. DUDER; July 3 - Maglona, David RICHARDS, Cadiz, salt, 50 days - W. Waterman & Co.; July 4 - Vistula, ANDREW, Liverpool, general cargo - Jas. BYRNE

Shipping News

The English schooner Vistula, Capt. ANDREW, arrived from Liverpool last evening with a cargo of goods &c., for James BYRNE, Esq., at the Arm. This, we presume, is the first direct importation to that part of Twillingate. We must congratulate our enterprising friend on his business ""pluck"" and wish him every success in his undertakings.

Smart Run

At five o'clock on Monday morning the 26 ult, Mr. Wm. LANNING left Exploits for Shoe Cove in a small boat belonging to H.M. HERBERT, Esq., Nipper's Harbor, making the run in five hours. He remained there a short time and then proceeded to Tilt Cove, when he was accompanied by Mr. ADAMS to Round Harbor.


The N.B. Jones, belonging to Mr. Thomas EVERY arrived last evening from the Cape Shore, having touched into several intermediate harbors on the way, and left this morning for St. John's. The fishery accounts by her are also encouraging.


July 7, 1882

Schooners Mary Jane and Runneymead arrived from St. John's yesterday with provisions to Messrs. Waterman & Co. The schooner Maggie, came from Fogo last evening with provisions, &c., for R. SCOTT, Esq.


Latest intelligence from Labrador - we learn from the Telegram that the S.S. Leopard, Capt FIELD, arrived at St. John's from Labrador early on Tuesday last. She reached Maunock's Island on the 19th, having been forced to remain at Curnew about twenty-four hours and at Peak's Harbor for a similar period, partly in consequence of ice, Capt. FIELD says he left Mannock's Island on the 23rd June. On the previous day a brigantine, supposed to be the Sneezer, passed that harbor, bound to Offer Turnavick. Large numbers of vessels were observed from Belle Isle to Wolf Island, all making their way North; but none had arrived at Ragged Islands. There was no ice to interfere with their movements, and they were likely to reach their destinations in time, as the fish had not yet struck in. The Captain reports fine weather during the few days he remained on the coasts. Harbor Grace Standard.

Fishing Operations

The hook-and-line fishing off St. John's yesterday was very good, and off Quidi Vidi remarkably so, one trap yesterday (in the latter place) being reported for over fifty quintals. The fishing on the in-grounds this morning was poor, but off Cape Spear good work was done, some boats reporting for three cwt. and over. The fish is plentiful on the grounds as shown by the take of the trap-nets, but it will not seize the baited hook. During the caplin season the cod frequent the shore in pursuit of that fish, yet it is inshore that the fishery is most unsuccessful, the highest catch being taken on the headlands. Along the South shore of Conception Bay the fishery, which is hereby pursued with hook-and-line only, is a conspicuous failure; some fishermen not having a quintal apiece. Owing to the shallow nature of the ground here, neither cod traps nor seines are used by the people, though it is difficult to see why they may not be successfully operated on the edges of Kelly's Island and Bene Isle. There is yet time enough, however, to bring up the lee way, even during the caplin school, and the fishery on squids may be bounteous enough to make amends for the present scarcity. - Evening Mercury, June 30.


While Mr. CROCKER's schooner the Industry was proceeding to sea yesterday, it was discovered that she had sprung a leak. The water had reached up to the cabin floor before the discovery was made, and produced fears for the schooner safety, but she was got safely back to the wharf. She was laden with 140 hogsheads salt, 40 of which were damaged, and 12 bags bread, which are now being discharged preparatory to putting the vessel on the slip for repairs. During his spring voyage on the French Shore, Mr. CROCKER collected 3,100 seals. He could have secured twice that number, but was embarrassed in his movements by ice. - Ibid

Mysterious Disappearance

Much anxiety is now felt respecting Mr. FUNNEL, gun-maker, of this town. Just a fortnight ago today, he left his son's residence in Duckworth Street, St. John's, at 9 in the morning, in order to make some purchases at the shop of Mr. O'Mara, druggist, prior to starting for the Cove to take passage in the Glover for this place. Strange to say, he has not since been heard of. His friends are now very much concerned respecting his mysterious disappearance. - H.G. Standard.


The steamer, Plover, with mails and passengers, arrived early on Wednesday night, not having left St. John's before Tuesday.

Streak of Good Luck

On Wednesday morning whilst Charles ANDREWS of Crow Head was proceeding along near the shore he was struck by what seemed to him to be an unusual white rock. Prompted however by curiosity he went nearer and then supposed the object to be a shark, but on closer scrutiny it turned out to be a fine square-flipper seal which lay dead on the water. So large was it that he was obliged to summons aid and by the united efforts of six men the monster was landed and on being ""pelted"" weighed 3 cwt. 3 qrs, 10 lb. The skin was a splendid specimen and the value of the ""haul"" may be calculated by those used to such commodities.


We are reliably informed that the valuable mining property at Ming's Bight has changed proprietorship. The title to the property has been in dispute for some time but the executive Council have decided in favor of Mr. Smith MCKAY. That gentleman is expected at Ming's Bight early next week to take possession.


The last few days no improvement has taken place in the cod fishery around the neighborhood. Some hook and line men have not a quintal under salt up to this date. At Western Head (near Morton's Harbor) traps have done well. The Plover reports that very little was doing in the various places coming along. Salmon have been more plentiful than usual. On Tuesday Mr. Reuben BLACKMORE secured between seventy and eighty in his nets.


The Rev. Theodore NURSE of Brooklyn, Bonavista Bay (son of J. NURSE, Esq., Back Harbor) arrived by last Plover and proposes spending a short time with his friends before proceeding to St. John's to attain an advancement to higher ecclesiastical grades.

School Report

The Rev. W. PILOT, B.D., Superintendent Church of England Day-schools, will please accept our thanks for a copy of Report of the schools under his jurisdiction for 1881.

Shipping News

The coastal steamer Curlew, Captain FRANCIS, arrived here from the Westward between 9 and 10 o'clock this morning. She had favorable weather this time, and the trip was consequently a very pleasant one. Our correspondents at the different ports of call have sent on their favors as usual and we are pleased to know the political situation continues to brighten up more and more every day. The cause of the patriotic New party is receiving the support of all good and true men, and there seems little or no doubt that a ""famous victory"" will be achived by ""the people"" in November next. The fishery prospects on the whole, have not improved to any really appreciable extent. At Ferryland and Trepassey some good fares were taken in traps on Monday and Tuesday; but not much has yet been done by hook and line men, anywhere, so far as we can learn. We understand the Curlew brought a large quantity of freight from St. George's and Fortune bay, consisting of pressed hay, herrings and canned salmon. The hay is said to be a very superior quality. While steaming along near Cape English, yesterday morning, Captain FRANCIS observed the wrecked steamer Asdrabat. She was in the very position reported by the Plover a few days ago, and temptation to try and tow her off proved irresistible. Accordingly a cable was made fast to the Asdrabat; but its strength not equal to the emergency, a break occurred and the Captain had to abandon his efforts. Whether the Plover will be more successful it is difficult to conjecture. A Channel correspondent says: - ""Captain FRANCIS is a general favorite here, and these of our own people who are in the habit of travelling by the Curlew speak of him in terms of the highest praise."" - Evening Telegram.


Desertion from ship and supposed theft - On Sunday night last John CAMPBELL, boat-swain of barquentine Voyager of Brixham, deserted said ship as she lay in Twillingate Harbor. At the time of his desertion a valuable ship's jolly boat, painted white topsides, copperpaint bottom, black gun-wall, pin green inside with varnished bottom, and with the name Lizzie, cut in rudder and yoke, and also rigged with mainsail and jib, was taken from the premises of Messrs. Waterman & Co. The Captain describes him as follows: He is a Scotchman about 5 feet 4 inches high, of dark complexion, black hair tinged with grey, slight moustache and whisker sand color, not very stout, is round shouldered and has a peculiar gait. When he left ship was clothed in monkey jacket, black wide-awake hat, badly shod and altogether a conspiciuous figure. Any person who shall give such information as shall lead to the discovery of either the boat or man will be suitably rewarded by sending such to the Sun Office, Twillingate.


July 14, 1882

News from Channel per ""Curlew"" - On the morning of the 9th, about daylight, the house of Mr. G. CARTER, was burned to the ground, by which accident two poor creatures met their deaths. The house was occupied by two families named BUFFET and MUSSEAU. On BUFFET awaking at the usual hour to go fishing, he heard the roar of fire downstairs. He immediately sprang out of bed, wrapped a blanket around himself, jumped from the window, and falling on the rocks hurt his thigh. He then looked around for something by which the others may make their escape without injury, and found an old ladder which he placed to the window, but on ascending it, according as he went the steps broke. After getting his wife and three children safe, the former told him that, during the time he was getting the ladder, she had gone to MUSSEAU's room and roused them, and they had even got up, lifted the window, and came out of the room but they returned again to their beds saying: "" If we die, we shall die together"" and so they perished. What induced them to return to their bed and not make an effort to escape is a mystery. They could not have had their presence of mind. The cause of the fire is unknown. The remains were gathered after the fire and were ghastly to behold. CARTER is the heaviest loser, his salmon nets &c. being in the house at the time. - Evening Mercury.


The steamer Polino, Capt. DELISLE, arrived to Messrs. Harvey & Co. at half-past 3 o'clock this morning, with freight and passengers from Montreal and Sydney. Capt. DELISLE says he left Montreal at daylight on Friday morning, and experienced strong head winds and foggy weather on the way to Sydney, which port he reached 7 p.m. on Monday. Having landed some freight there, he proceeded to Cow Bay for bunker coal, after obtaining the necessary supply, shaped his course for our shores. Light and variable winds were in order the remainder of the voyage, and from Cape Spear no less than fifteen icebergs were observed peeping out of the fog. On Wednesday morning, when off St. Pierre, a brigantine was sighted steering East, and at noon, of Cape St. Mary's the Polino passed a large steamer bound South. Nothing was seen in the neighborhood of Cape Race save a solitary schooner pursuing the uneven tenor of her way to the Northeast. Capt. DELISLE also brings some information respecting the steamer Coban, which got aground near the Northern Head of Cow Bay on the 17th ultimo. A company from Quebec, with the steamer Conquer, were using steam-pumps and other appliances for the purpose of floating the vessel, and the Dominion Wrecking Company was at hand, ready to offer their services if required. As the Coban does not appear to have sustained much damage, it is quite possible the Company will get her off during next high tide. She is a fine British-built ship and only three months old, and was chartered for the season by the Block House Mining Company. - St. John's Evening Telegram, July 6th.


The steamer Hercules, Capt. CROSS called here on Monday evening on her way to Labrador, to perform the mail service on that coast during the summer months. The weather being stormy her detention was caused until the following morning. After leaving St. John's, the Hercules called at Harbor Grace and various other ports coming along, having passengers from Metropolis for the respective places. Among the passengers when she arrived here, were the Rev. J. PARKINS of Exploits, and the Rev. J. LISTER of Little Bay Islands, who had been at St. John's attending Conference. Also Mr. S. MCKAY for Ming's Bight, Master H. HAYWARD for Tilt Cove, and Messrs. GRIEVE, ROGERSON, FITZGERALD and PARSONS for Labrador.


A schooner from Catalina, COURAGE, master, put into port on Sunday last, homeward bound, having secured 400 quintals of fish, which were trapped at Hooping Harbor (French Shore). Fish was scarce on that part of the shore; scarcely anything was being done with hook and line.


The Mary Parker, Capt. CARTER, left for St. John's on Saturday last. Mrs. TEMPLE and children took passage by her purposing to embark by the first Allan steamship for England, on a visit to her native land after an absence of several years. We wish the good lady a safe and speedy trip across the Atlantic, and a very enjoyable time on the shore of Old England.

Church News

Ecclesiastical - On Sunday morning last the pulpit of St. Peter's Church was ably filled by the Rev. Theodore R. NURSE, who gave an intellectual treat in the shape of an earnest and practical discourse on a subject seldom touched. In the evening the Rev. Wm. TEMPLE preached from Romans viii, 18, treating the subject in a lucid and masterly style. On Sunday next we understand that Mr. TEMPLE will preach at St. Peter's in the morning and Mr. NURSE will occupy the pulpit at the evening service.


The schooner Vivid, belonging to Messrs. HOLDER & LINFIELD, returned from St. John's on Saturday last. The Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, who was attending Conference, availed of the opportunity and came by her. Mr. LINFIELD who went in the Vivid returned same time. She leaves to-morrow for the French Shore. The Mark Parker, which left for St. John's on Saturday last arrived back this morning.


OAKLEY, LUTHER - At St. Peter's Church, on the 8th inst., by the Rev. R. TEMPLE, R.D., Mr. James OAKLEY to Miss Elizabeth Ann (Bessie) LUTHER, both of Twillingate.


ROWSELL - At. ST. John's on Tuesday, 27th inst., after a long illness, William Henry, third son of Benjamin and Esther ROWSELL, aged 17 years. Deceased was a native of Leading Tickle, Green Bay.

Ship News

Port of Twillingate - Entered - July 3 - Little Willie, ROCKWIRGE, Cadiz, salt - E.DUDER; July 9 - Two friends, GRANT, Cadiz, via St. John's salt - E. DUDER; July 12 - Olive Branch, HOMOE, Figuria, salt - OWEN & EARLE


July 18, 1882
  Fishing News

Mr. Edwin VINCENT from Swain's Island, Bonavista Bay, arrived here in a small craft on Friday last bound to the French Shore, We learn that from 30 to 60 qtls. per boat have been secured on that part of the shore, which is not more than half what was caught up to a corresponding period last year. The catch for seines is from 130 to 160 qtls. James TAYLOR arrived at Swain's Island the early part of last week with 400 qtls., taken with trap in the vicinity of Hare Bay, near Fogo. Mr. VINCENT left for his destination yesterday morning.


The Young Builder, Capt. Andrew ROBERTS, arrived from St. John's on Sunday evening. We have been favored with a copy of the Evening Telegram of Friday last brought by Mr. ROBERTS, from which that day's telegram and interesting local items have been transferred to our columns. One of an earlier date was also received by the Mary Parker, which left again for St. John's this morning with a cargo of oil.


The pleasure yacht Shamrock belonging to Messrs. Waterman & Co, was dispatched on Thursday last in search of the jolly boat that was taken from their premises a day or two before by seaman CAMPBELL, who deserted the Voyager, a few days previous. On the arrival of the Shamrock at Fogo the crew gleaned that a white whale boat with a sailor in charge was at Hare Bay. They wisely surmising she was the jolly boat instead, at once dispatched a crew for said place, when the following account was given by a man who had the boat in charge. The sailor put in here, jumped ashore, leaving the boat adrift, on being remonstrated with by the fishermen near by, he told them they might have the boat as she was not good to him and his vessel was to sail that day. He was afterwards seen at Fogo, but as it was impossible to communicate with Twillingate, no one had authority to detain him, although suspicion was aroused.


We learn from the St. John's Times that Arthur JANES, who was mentioned in a previous issue as having stolen property from Mr. WHELLOR, Ladle Cove, was arrested by Sergeant LACEY of the Mounted Constabulary, on Freshwater Road, St. John's, on Monday, the 26th ultimo.


A Telegram received from Trinity yesterday by Messrs. Grieve & Co. informs them that the following had arrived from the Northward with the fares named: - Solomon BUTLER 450 qtls; Benjamin DAY 400 qtls., Eli VIVIAN 300 qtls.; Wm JONES 130 qtls; Thomas HAITER, Robert FOWLOW and James MOOLY were reported as on their way home, the two former with three hundred quintals each, and the latter with between 300 and 400. These men were on their way to Labrador, but finding prospects favorable at Fogo Island, they went to work there and secured the above mentioned fares. After landing their fish they will proceed to the coast of Labrador where, we sincerely hope, fortune may still continue to smile on their honest efforts. - Evening Telegram.


The schooner Martha Ancell which arrived here last night from Cow Bay, brought in two American fisherman, who got astray from their vessel, the schooner Falcon, while fishing on Green Bank. On Thursday morning last, they were out looking after their trawls, when a dense fog settled over the water and made it impossible for them to find their way back to the schooner. All day they rowed about with the expectation of being picked up, but night came on and still no hope of rescue cheered them. But their suffering had only just commenced. For four days and three nights they were compelled to endure cold and hunger in an open dory without any covering beyond their ordinary coating. Fortunately, however, they were observed by Capt. DAVIS, about half-past 7 o'clock on Sunday evening, twelve miles off Cape Pine, and taken together with their dory and lines, on board the Martha Ancell. The two poor fellows were completely exhausted having passed through a severe gale the night before, during which they kept the boat's head to the wind by means of a drag. They are now being cared for by the American Consul, T.N. MOLLOY, Esq. - Ibid, July 11th.


PRESTON - This morning after a lingering illness, Mr. Joseph John PRESTON, aged 42 years.


July 21, 1882

The coastal steamer Plover with mails and passengers, arrived on Thursday morning. She goes to Battle Harbor this trip, and is expected here on her return to St. John's on Monday night or Tuesday morning. Messrs. NURSE, BRAYLEY, TAVENER, COOPER, DAVIS and OAKLEY came passengers by the steamer.

Accident at Sea

A fortnight since the Maggie Briggs left St. John's for Fogo. When a short distance outside the Narrows, one of the seamen, James JEWER, in attempting to hook the boom guy, lost his balance and was precipated into the water. There was a slight breeze at the time but with the aid of a buoy that was thrown him in a instant, Jewer succeeded in keeping himself afloat until the craft was hove up to windward of him when a boat was lowered, and with his own bravery and good management on board the vessel, he was rescued from a watery grave. The man had been at least 25 minutes in the water, and when taken on board was quite exhausted, and it was a considerable time before he entirely recovered from the mishap.


The schooner Maggie Briggs owned by R. SCOTT, Esq., Fogo, left that port for St. John's, on Monday morning the 10th inst., at half-past ten o'clock, and returned on the following Friday morning at 7 o'clock, making the trip in four days and less than twenty one hours. The Maggie Briggs took a cargo to St. John's, discharged, loaded for Fogo, and did the work in the short time mentioned.


The English schr. Little Willie, which arrived at this port on the 3rd inst. reports: On the 15th June, eight days after leaving Cadiz, while in lat. 35, 31 N long. 32 W. passed a Nun buoy, made of iron, painted black, marked N.1 in three places, in white.


R.K. BRAYLEY, Esq., of Montreal, arrived here by last steamer. He represents the drug and medicine establishment of W. BRAYLEY of that city.


A steamer was observed from the Light House, on Sunday last passing South. It is thought to have been the pleasure yacht Lizzie belonging to W. P. Munn, Esq., Harbor Grace, returning from Labrador.


The schooner Maggie belonging to R. SCOTT, Esq., Fogo, came here on Thursday with a quantity of goods, &c., for his Twillingate trade, having landed part of cargo at Change Islands same day for the branch business there. Mr. SCOTT also came same time.

Loss of life in Burin District

Melancholy intelligence of the loss of three valuable lives by drowning in the neighborhood of Burin has been communicated to us. Wm. FOOT, aged 21 years, while engaged in trap fishing operations, fell over board and was drowned. The second case is of a lad named CLARKE, 19 years old, who with others was on his way to sea to set a lobster net. The punt in which they were seated had in tow another boat, which contained the necessary gear. This second boat was leaky and was filling with water, and the crew of the tow-boat requested the youth CLARKE to step aboard the leaky craft and bail her out. He had no sooner done so then she parted her painter and sank immediately, carrying the ill-fated youth with her. The third unhappy casuality occurred off Cape St. Mary's when Josiah BRUSHETT, aged about 27 years, while at the helm of his craft, was seized with a fit and fell overboard and was drowned. The last named, it appears, was subject to this afflication, and was in consequence kept on shore by his father, but this spring he insisted on going out to fish. All three were unmarried. Their bodies were not recovered. Evening Mercury.

News from Flower's Cove

On Sunday last Mr. SQUIRE's schooner, J.L. Vogler arrived to Messrs.PATERSON & FOSTER from the above place, with 1800 gallons seal and cod oil, and about 800 seal skins. The Vogler left Flower's Cove on the evening of Monday week past. The propects of the fishery in that neighborhood at that time were encouraging; good work has been done with the traps and trawls. A day or two before the Vogler left Flower's Cove, the schr. Bay State, owned by C.W. Ross & Co., had secured 100 qtls; this was the result of three days fishing chiefly with hook-and-line. Had it not been for the broken weather prevailing there for some time previous, the fishermen of that locality would have ""made a voyage"" equal to that of last year, as a member of Halifax traders were at Flower's Cove at the time Vogler left. They were offering 3s (cash) for young seals, and 2s. 3d. per gallon (imperial measure) for seal oil. It is thought that the fishery will be good on both sides of the Straits. The Vogler on her way hither called in at Quirpon, leaving again on Wednesday week last. As she entered the harbor, about 30 sail craft could be seen crossing the Straits of Belle Isle; and at Quirpon and Fortune, there were supposed to be no fewer than 200 or 300 crafts ""waiting for a time"" to Labrador. These crafts had been detained by the ice while crossing White and Green Bays, and were then delayed by head winds. From Quirpon to Conche, there was very little doing with fish; this was attributed to the ice remaining so late on the coast. H.G. Standard, July 14.

Public notice

Complaints having been made to me, that Seamen deserting their vessels, are at times harbored, I therefore caution the public, and refer them to the section of the Merchant Shipping Act of 1875 - Every person who by any means whatever persuades or attempts to persuade any seaman or apprentice to neglect or refuse to join or to proceed to sea in, or to desert from, his ship; or otherwise to absent himself from his duty, shall for each such offence, in respect of each such seaman or apprentice, incur a penalty not exceeding Ten Pounds, sterling; and every person who wilfully harbors or secrets any seaman or apprentice, who has deserted from his ship, or who has wilfully neglected or refused to join, or who has deserted from his ship, knowing or having reason to believe such seaman or apprentice to have so done, shall for every such seaman or apprentice, so harbored or secreted, incur a penality not exceeding Twenty Pounds, sterling. I further caution any person or persons from retaining or keeping possession of boats or any other stolen property or they will be prosecuted according to law. F. BERTEAU, Stipendiary Magistrate, Court House, Twillingate, July 20, 1882.

Fishery Prospects

The Hon. James FOX received a telegram from Placentia last evening informing him that the Cape fishery was progressing favorably and prospects generally were very encouraging. Some fine trips had already arrived, and winds and weather were all that could be desired. Advices have also been received from St. Mary's and St. Peter's River, stating that good work was being done not only by the trapmen, but by all engaged at these and neighboring places. - Telegram of Saturday last.

Fire near Kind's Bridge

Shortly before three o'clock this morning the slumbering city was aroused by an alarm of fire from No. 6 Ward, and hundreds of people, many of whom are not in the habit of getting up before daylight, hurriedly, donned their garments and started out to ascertain ""the extent and nature of the conflagration"" - as the Inspector would say. It seems that a house near the King's Bridge - formerly used by Mr. FURLONG as a bakery, but for some time past unoccupied - was discovered to be on fire, the flames having already made considerable progress. Very little could be done under the circumstances in the way of opposing the destructive element and, consequently, the building was completely consumed. We have not yet heard how the fire originated. - Ibid, July 11.


JACKSON, TAYLOR - On the 17th inst., at the residence of the bride's father, Carbonear, by the President of the Conference; assisted by the Rev. George BOYD, Rev. J.A. JACKSON, Methodist Minister, to Louisa LOCKHART, youngest daughter of Capt. William TAYLOR.


SMITH, WOODS - On the 29th June, at St. Paul's, East Molesey, England, by the Rev. J. Thornton WILKINSON, M.A., Vicar of St. Ann's, New Bermondsey, assisted by the Rev. Morris FULLER, M.A, VIcar of the parish, the Rev. Charles Ernest SMITH, Rector, of Heart's Content, Newfoundland to Flora WOODS, eldest daughter of George WOODS, Esq, Sussex House, East Molesey, Surrey.


July 28, 1882

On Saturday evening last the Rev. T.W. ATKINSON was waited on by Messrs. T. LINFIELD and S. ROBERTS who presented him with an address and presentation, on behalf of members of the Methodist church, both of which were tendered as a slight expression of appreciation for the zeal and earnestness which characterized his labors during the three years of ministerial adjourn amongst them.........Mr. ATKINSON and family left here per steamer Plover on Tuesday last for Western Bay, which is to be the scene of his ministerial labors for the next term. He is accompanied with the best wishes of the people and we trust that much success may crown his future efforts for the promotion of the Redeemer's cause in that section of this colony.


The following took passage in the Plover on Tuesday last for St. John's and intermediate place: - Messrs. S. BAIRD, J.P., and BRAYLEY; Rev. T.R. NURSE and sister; Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Mrs. ATKINSON, two children and servant; Mr. and Mrs. DALTON; Mrs. LINFIELD and Miss BLANDFORD.

Schooner Accident

The schooner Anna A. Teel, hence to Harbor Grace, arrived at that port on Tuesday morning last, but not without a serious accident resulting in the loss of the steward a man anmed Thomas TONKINS. In his report of the melancholy occurrence, Capt. JOYCE says: - ""The Anna A. Teel left St. John's on Monday evening at 7 o'clock, and was going along under all sail, with a moderate breeze, when a squall suddenly struck the vessel, off Loggy Cove, near Sugar Loaf, throwing her on her beam-ends. She remained in this position for about five minutes, during which time the crew had managed to get over on the weather side. The schooner fortunately came round to the wind, and the breeze, catching the sails underneath, as the means of uprighting her once more. My first thought, after being relieved from the perilous situation in which I so unexpectedly found myself, was for the safety of my crew, and, on looking round to see if all had escaped, I discovered that the steward, Thomas TONKINS, was missing. The vessel was immediately wore round, and we lay off and on for sometime, but could see nothing except the boat, which went over at the time of the accident. The main boom got unshipped from off the saddle, and everything moveable on the deck was lost. Had there been the least sea at the time, the vessel with all hands, would certainly have gone down as her main-hatch combing were under water."" - Evening Telegram July 20.


We are indebted to W. LETHBRIDGE, Esq., J.P., for copies of late local papers received per Mary Parker on Monday, extracts from which will be found elsewhere; also to Dr. SCOTT, who came passenger by the Nora Scotian for numbers of Boston and Halifax papers so late as the 17th inst. From the latter interesting particulars of the war in Egypt are given in another part of the paper.


John BURT of Virgin Arm, Friday's Bay, having been arrested by the police last week on suspicion, for the larceny of two quintals of dry codfish, the property of one William FLYNN, was brought up before his Worship F. BERTEAU, on Tuesday last on remand. At first, the prisoner denied the charge made against him, but after several witnesses had been examined he pleaded guilty, and was sentenced to one month imprisonment, with hard labor.


A dwelling house and all its contents belonging to Mr. John MOORS of Blackhead, Conception Bay, was destroyed by fire on the 18th inst. The origin of the fire is unknown. An appeal is made by Rev. James DOVE, through the St. John's press on behalf of the sufferers.


A large number of excursionists, composed of the United Temperance Amusement Club, and others, left St. John's for Harbor Grace in the steamer Leopard on the 20 th inst.

Band of Hope

The members of this Juvenile Temperance Society assembled on Bare-berry Hill (Back Harbor) on Tuesday afternoon and spent a few hours in exhilarating amusements which they heartily enjoyed, under the direction of the officers of the Band. This institution was formed on last Ascension Day, in relation with a Branch of the Church of England Temperance Society, both of which number about 125. During that short time the originators have been much encouraged, and we trust that the Rev. Mr. TEMPLE and all who evince an interest in this laudable undertaking for the benefit of the young, may be well sustained by this endeavoring to instill temperance principles in the minds of the youth.

New Doctor

We are pleased to note the arrival in town of Dr. SCOTT of New Brunswick. We understand that it is the intention of the Doctor to establish himself in his profession here should sufficient inducement warrant him in remaining. Dr. SCOTT has been successful as a medical practitioner in the neighboring province. He brings with him first-class credentials, and will be likely to prove skillful in his profession.

Business Notice

We would call attention to the card of Mr. Andrew LINFIELD, contractor, builder, &c., to be found in a preceding column. His friends in numerous sections of the Bay who contemplate building houses can be supplied with doors, sashes and all such requisites at short notice. Articles in the furniture line are also manufactured by him.


A large sum on money amounting to 84, was stolen from a paymaster of the railway company named Mr. Albert PAYNE by John ROBERTS, a shoemaker, who plied his trade amongst the laborers on the line of rail. The crime was committed at Holyrood on Monday last, while PAYNE was asleep, and the offender was in a day or two after, arrested by Sergt. KENRUEY, who is stationed at Holyrood, and was this morning brought on to St. John's. - Evening Mercury July 19.

Wonders Never Cease!

The London Globe of Wednesday says: - ""During the bombardment yesterday, a telephone was attached at Malta to the Alexandria cable, and though it was impossible to communicate verbally, the bombardment was plainly audible at the Malta end of the cable."" Malta is some 800 miles from Alexandria. What would the world have thought in 1805 had the roar of the guns at Trafalgar been heard at Malta? The inventive genius of the age only seem to be in its infancy. - Halifax Herald, July 17.

World News

Russia has lost two of her greatest generals within a few weeks - KUAFFMAN and SKOBELOFF - and the world has lost two brilliant men.


GRIMES, POPE - On the 6th May, at the Parsonage, Little Bay Island, by the Rev.J. LISTER, Mr. John GRIMES, to Miss Susannah POPE both of Little Bay Island.


August 4, 1882
  Coastal Steamer

The coastal steamer Plover, Capt. BLANDFORD, made her appearance here on Thursday morning at 1 o'clock with mails and passengers. The Plover goes North as far as Battle Harbor, where she will meet the steamer Hercules, and may be looked for here on her way to St. John's about Monday night or Tuesday morning. Annexed is a list of passengers: - From St. John's for Bay-de-Verde- Mr. CHRISTAN and Miss CHURCHILL, For Trinity - Mr. J. WHITE, Mrs. WHITE, Mr. & Mrs. RENNIE, Mr. D. RYAN and wife, Mrs. PROWSE and child. For Bonavista - Rev. Mr. PRATT wife and family, Miss RENDELL. For Greenspond - Rev. Mr. HAWE and wife, Mr. D. LENNAN and L. TULAN. For Fogo - Mr. DUDER and wife, Miss HADDON, Miss SEYMOUR and Master DUDER. For Twilliiingate - Mr. E. MARTIN, for Exploits - Mr . CUNNINGHAM, for Seal Bay - Mr. GREENE, for Little Bay Island - Miss ANDERSON, For TIlt Cove - Mr. & Mrs. GILL, for Lance-a-Loup - Mr. HUDSON. For Battle Harbor - Messrs. BOLT, KIELLY, RENDELL, H. BROWN and Mrs. KEAGE. From Bonavista to Twillingate - Rev. Mr. EMBREE, wife and family.

Herring Neck

At 2 o'clock on Saturday morning last, Widow Ann JONES of the above named place was awakened from her slumber by a noise on her stage near the house, but at first thinking it was her son she paid little attention to it, afterwards her suspicions being aroused she arose and went outside to ascertain the cause, when she saw two persons who were in the act of stealing fish, &c. On being remonstrated with, they made an attack on her person striking her on the head with a stick and otherwise inflicted injuries of a cowardly nature. The matter is being investigated by the Police, and we hope that ere long the offenders will be brought before the authorities, where they will receive the severe punishment which their dastardly conduct merits.

British Society's Excursion (1)

The Conception Bay British Society and their friends, numbering in all about four hundred persons, arrived here on the S.S. Comodore shortly after 10 o'clock this morning. They are visiting us for a purely ""pleasurable purpose"" and , therefore, they are as welcome as the flowers of May. True, we have nothing special to offer them just now in the shape of amusement, beyond a ride on the rail; nevertheless, they will find something to occupy their time and attention until tomorrow morning, when ""home again"" will be the only remaining item on their programme. The Commodore left Harbor Grace at 4:30. The weather was fine, the water smooth and the passage down the Bay ""intensely exhilarating"" - as our friend of the Times would say. Then the good ship got out into the Atlantic, and just a wee bit of a ""tumble"" began to disturb the happy excursionists and make some of them feel as if breakfast was quite unnecessary.

British Society's Excursion (2)

But they didn't regard that as a circumstance, and the Commodore ""bobbed up"" the Shore serenely enough until off Torbay, when a very unfortunate accident occurred, the particulars of which may be briefly related as follows: - Several boats were fishing along the shore some distance from the steamer, but Captain Barry, who was on the bridge at the time, did not observe ""another little skiff"" anchored right in his track, and the Commodore ran that other little skiff down and damaged it almost beyond the power of human ingenuity to repair, knocked two of its occupants into the water and compelled the other (there were only three) to ____ to the wreck. Of course, the ship's engines were immediately reversed, a boat was launched and the much alarmed, but otherwise uninjured men were picked up and brought on board, where they were most hospitably treated by all hands - ladies and gentlemen. Captain BURRY himself took up a collection for ""the shipwrecked mariners"" and when he got through, was pleased to find the sum of 16 16s 10d in his hat, which he gracefully presented to Messrs. Richard STAMP, Thomas MARTIN and James MARTIN.

Fishery News

We learn of two or three good catches during the past few days, in the vicinity of Crow Head, one man having taken 6 quintals and another 7 or 8. About the Arms, a little better work is reported with hook and line. By the arrival of the schr. Emeline from Nipper's Harbor, we glean that the fishery on the Cape Shore has been poor, in fact at one time, it was found difficult to supply the table for daily consumption. The salmon catch on the shore has been poor, the highest being from two to three tierces, and that only being in a very few instances.

Coastal Wharf

We are pleased to know that a good colored light is to be fixed on the head of the public wharf which will be of the greatest advantage, both to the working of the steamer and the convenience of parties having to transact business in connection with her, during the fall months, when of necessity she will very often arrive here after dark. We also notice that the long rails, &c., bounding the road leading to the wharf have been painted, which adds greatly to the appearance thereof.

Salmon Fishery

The catch up Exploits River has been much larger than for the preceding two years. All have done well. Mr. Robert PORTER who has stations at Thwart Island and its neighborhood has been exceedingly fortunate. He has over twelve tierces as the result of this season operations. They were all secured in a little over six weeks.


The schooner Hunter, Capt. Joseph YOUNG, arrived here on Tuesday morning last from White Bay, with the fine catch of 300 qtls. fish, which was procured at White Bay and Ming's Bight. The Captain reports very little had been done with hook and line about White Bay and the French Shore.


The pulpit of the North side Wesleyan Church was occupied on last Sabbath evening by W. WATERMAN, Esq. who preached from 3rd John and 16th ver. Treating the congregation to an earnest and pleasing discourse.

Local News

We are pleased to learn that Dr. SCOTT, whose card appears in the preceding column, has received sufficient inducements to warrant him to take up his residence permanently amongst us.

Fogo News

A friend at Fogo, kindly furnishes us with the following interesting items: - On Saturday last , 29th ult. Capt. UNGOOD of the barquentine Elcho, was summoned before Mr. FITZGERALD, Stipendiary Magistrate of Fogo, on a charge of starving and ill-treating the mate and crew of said vessel. It appears that the whole of the crew became dissatisfied at not receiving the necessary quantity, nor quality of food authorized by the Imperial Goverment for ships supplies. The cook after complaining some time to the Captain of the scarcity of provisions was finally met in the face by a severe blow, from the clenched fist of his pugilistic master, which knocked him (for the time) as ""dead as a door nail."" The crew threatened to report such conduct, but were not allowed a boat in which to go on shore. They then hailed a harbor boat passing by, went on shore and lodged their complaint before the Magistrate. Capt. UNGOOOD was fined 5 for breach of an Imperial act, relative to seamen, and 1 for expenses for assault and battery, and lodged in jail until the money was forthcoming. The captain behaving in court in rather an ungentlemanly way, and only discontinued such conduct after being threatened with being sent down for contempt of court. He was evidently suffering slight from a temporary attack of the D.T's a consequence of much disipation.

Fogo News

Last week, Capt. John DWYER, master of the schooner Juno, met with an accident on board his vessel and narrowly escaped from having a severe fracture of the leg. The leg is much brusied and lacerated, but with judicious treatment he will soon recover.

Fogo News

It is reported here today that boats at the Funk Islands have jigged 20 qtls of fish in two days.


We extend a hearty welcome to the Rev. J. EMBREE, Chairman of Bonavista District, and family who arrived by last steamer. Mr. EMBREE takes charge of the circuit for the coming three years, and we wish him much success in his ministeral labors, and hope that his work may result in great good to the members of his flock over whom he will preside.


We are pleased to note the arrival in town of W. WATERMAN, Esq., (of the firm W. Waterman & Co.) and son. They took passage from England on a steamer bound to Bett's Cove, where they arrived on Monday 24th ult., after a fine passsage of ten days. They then proceeded to Nipper's Harbor and came here per schr. Emeline on Saturday evening last. We understand that Mr. WATERMAN intends remaining here during the summer months. Mr. WATERMAN, Jr. left for Fogo on Monday last where he intends remaining for a few days.


Mr. James J. MILLEY, of St. John's arrived in town on Saturday evening last, after a tour of three months on Exploits River. Mr. M. left the following Tuesday for the north side of the Bay. He intends returning to St. John's by next steamer.

Geological Survey

Mr. James P. HOWLEY of the Geological Survey and Mr. Chas. HARVEY, Civil Enginer, are at present engaged in ""blocking off"" the land, lying between Exploits River and Hall's Bay. We believe the intention is to give the Railway Company each alternate block of eight square miles lying between these two points, in lieu of the land along that part of the road now completed, which being occupied land, is not available. Mr. HOWLEY, who is acting in the interests of the Government, is working from Exploits RIver towards Hall's Bay, and Mr HARVEY, who represents the Railway Company, is proceeding from the bottom of Hall's Bay to meet Mr. HOWLEY. The land is considered the finest for agricultural purposes, of any on the Island. We shall refer to this matter at greater length in a subsequent issue.


To the editior of the Twillingate Sun - Sir - I was pleased to read your editorial remarks in a recent issue, on ship building. Your advocacy for the payment of bounty on small craft built in the colony would fully meet the appropriation of all planters and fishermen. Being of that class myself, I consider that our interest have been poorly attended to. Anything is thought well enough for us, and it is very little our law makers care about us, so long as their now ""nests are feathered"". What about the Fishery Award money? What benefits have we as fishermen derived from it? I suppose it is kept as a reserve or sinking fund? Why cannot some inducements in the shape of bounty be given to the fishermen from it? But instead of that the trifling amount that used to be given has been curtailed of late years. I refer specially to the bounty for shipbuilidng. Bounty used to be given on small size craft built - now it is restricted to those of 30 tons and upwards, so that many of us who would require them under that size, and may not be able to raise the funds for a larger one have to do without any subsidy, while in proportion we contribute to the revenue on the material used in their building the same as those who finish larger ones. You will hear from me again on this subject. Your, &c., Terra Nova.

Temperance Organizations

We hope the different Temperance organizations in Green Bay have not overlooked the fact that, by virtue of the Local Option Bill recently passed the Legislature, they have it in their power by a two-third vote of any town, village or settlement, to banish from their midst, these places where strong drinks are sold, and which are such a barrier to the welfare of both young and old wherever they are found. We have not heard of any steps being taken to bring about such a desirable end in our own town, but we hope that ere long the friends of the good old cause will come boldly to the front, in the banishment from their midst of that, which is the cause indirectly of so much temptation and trouble, even in this remote part of the Island. We would advise that a public meeting should be called at an early date, so as to give all who have the Temperance cause at heart, an opportunity of expressing their opinions on the subject, which may result eventually in the desired effect.


Contributed by George White (2002)
July 4, 1882 to August 4, 1882, Transcribed by Beverly Warford (May 2002)

Page Revised by Craig Peterman (December 2002)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]