Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

Twillingate Sun
November - December

November 18, 1880
  Daring Robbery

A sailor named Wm. Samuel CURE, belonging to the brig Constance, was arrested by Constable LACEY on Tuesday morning, charged with stealing six dollars from the pocket of a man named WARD.

Shipping News

The Archer, belonging to Mr. Charles MURCELL, arrived from the French Shore on Friday last…… The steamer Plover called here … on Friday past. The steamer Hercules arrived from St. John's on Friday evening enroute to the mining districts. She put in again on her return last evening, having on board A. GUZMAN, Esq., manager of the mines, who is on his way to the Metropolis. The Young Builder, Capt. Andrew ROBERTS, arrived here from the French Shore on Saturday last to J.B. TOBIN, Esq. She left a few weeks since, and was successful in collecting about 1500 quintals of fish, and a quantity of oil, salmon, &c. The Young Builder sailed again for St. John's on Tuesday morning.


On Sunday last, Nov. 14th., the wife of Mr. A.A. PEARCE jr., of a daughter.


In the Methodist Church, Twillingate, Oct. 28th. By the Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, pastor of the Church, Mr. John DALLY, of Herring Neck, to Miss Elizabeth HALLETT of Little Harbor.


On November the 11th. at the residence of the bride's father, by the Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Mr. William G. WOOLFREY of Burnt Bay, to Miss Selina LINFIELD of Twillingate.


In the Methodist Church, Twillingate, on the 13th. Nov., Mr. Levi SPENCER to Miss Rosanna SNELGROVE, both of Twillingate.


In the Methodist Church Twillingate, on the evening of the 13th. Nov., Mr. Joseph STUCKLESS of Twillingate to Miss Dorcas PENNY of Seldom Come By.


On the 8th. Inst., at the George St. Methodist Church, St. John's, by the Rev. J. SHENTON, Mr. W. GARLAND of Little Bay Islands to Miss Isabella S. ANDREWS, youngest daughter of the late Capt. William ANDREWS of St. John's.

Nipper's Harbor

The schooner, Ocean Traveler, Henry HILL Master, belonging to the firm of Messrs. W. WATERMAN & Co., left Nipper's Harbor for St. John's on the 6th. Nov. with 1000 quintals shore fish, having loaded there in fourteen hours.

Fortune Harbor

By advices from Fortune Harbor, we learn that the last of the Labrador fleet arrived home last week, having remained on the coast to make their fish, and their detention was greatly prolonged there in consequence of the disagreeable condition of the weather. The craft belonging to Fortune Harbor, have been successful in procuring pretty good catches the past season, and we understand that the requirements of the people the coming winter will be fairly met.


The friends of the Rev. Mr. GUNN at Little Bay, where he labored with much acceptance during his sojourn amongst them, will be pleased to learn that he has recently accepted a call to a church in Windsor, NS., which will probably be his future field for usefulness in the honored sphere in which he is engaged. The Rev. Stephen FLYNN of Fortune Harbor, was in town last week..... T.C. DUDER and T. HODGE, Esqrs., also left for Fogo at the same time. F. BERTEAU, Esq., J.P., left last evening, by the steamer Hercules, for St. John's.

Methodist Church

We are glad to note that our Methodist friends have made an energetic commencement for the building of a Church on Back Harbor Hill…. The Rev. T.W. Atkinson has furnished us with the names of the following gentlemen who have generously promised subscriptions, besides others who have not been called on: Hon C.R. AYRE, St. John's, £25. John STEER £10. Josiah MANUEL £5.

Head Liner

The largest catch per man among our Labrador craft in this direction, was made by the crew of the Phantom, Jas. BYRNE, Master, Fortune Harbor, they having shared 68 1/2 quintals each. In two or three instances, crafts that made a couple of trips to the Straits may have been equal, but this, we believe, is the largest of any one trip.

Shipping News

The schooner Bessie, owned by M. MONROE Esq., on her way to the mining settlements, called here yesterday morning, for the purpose of landing a quantity of freight. Mr. T. LINFIELD, who was on visit to the Metropolis, came passenger by her.

Labrador Fishery

We are sorry to learn that a considerable quantity of fish, originally of fine quality, remains uncured on the Labrador, the continuous rains and fog preventing the possibility of shipping it in condition to bring home….. St. John's Chronicle, Nov. 6.


November 25, 1880

The coastal steamer Plover, arrived here this afternoon having been detained a little…. because of adverse winds and heavy seas….. We think the Plover performs her work well under the command of Capt. BLANDFORD. It is true that when the sea is running high, she may be pronounced by some as being a great ""roller"", although on such occasions, we have known the Captain to quaintly remark she is a ""pretty little duck"", and perhaps he's about right.... If the Captain had the same control over the elements of nature as he has over his good ship, so that he could always command a smooth time, it is not at all probable that anyone would be disposed to find fault for her rolling!"

Misuse of Property

We understand that a valuable boat, the property of Rev. T.W. TEMPLE of this town, was taken from her mooring at Path End, without the consent of the owner, and after being used for the purpose required, was carelessly made on to the wharf, and on Wednesday morning last, was found at the bottom of the harbor with a great hole battered in her side. It is really time that notice was taken of this annoying practice of using other people's property, for no one is certain at any time that they will find their boat when they want it or where they left it.


We are pleased to note the arrival , per Plover, of the Rev. Theodore NURSE of Brooklyn, Bonavista Bay, son of our respected townsman, J. NURSE, Esq. We hope the Rev. Gentleman will enjoy his visit…..

Vessel Damaged

A craft held in possession by Mr. LIGHT, drifted on a rock while anchored at Hart's Cove, during the late gale, and received considerable damage, breaking away a large portion of her keel.


Mr. J.H. McGILBEY, one of the passengers per Plover for Fogo, died suddenly on Wednesday evening. He took dinner 2 o'clock and was in the saloon about 4, when he retired to his state room. When called to tea by his wife, who was also on board, it was found that he was a corpse.


We are informed that the steamships Iceland and Greenland, belonging to The Montreal sealing company, have been purchased by Messrs. MUNN & Co., of Harbor Grace, for $40, 000….

Shipping News

The steamer Hercules, ….. arrived… Mr. E.C. COLBOURNE came passenger by her…..

Prisoner Escapes

About a quarter to eight o'clock last night, Police Inspector CARTY received a telegram from Brigus stating that the Eskimo charged with the murder of his son at Nain, Labrador, and who escaped at Scrammy, from custody, on board the SS. Panther, had arrived at Harbor Main from HANNON, and that while being conveyed by the said HANNON from Harbor Main to Brigus, to be handed over to the police authorities there, he made his escape at Gasters, Salmon Cove. On receipt of this information the Inspector immediately sent dispatches to the police at Holyrood, Brigus, Bay Roberts and Harbor Grace, instructing them to leave nothing undone that would be likely to lead up to his apprehension. At eight o'clock, some of the horse police were sent from St. John's in search of the fugitive, followed shortly after by a detachment on foot. Up to the time of our going to press, his recapture had not been effected.- Ibid 12.

Suicide Attempt

About half past five o'clock last evening, a man named Thomas CULLION, while under the influence of intoxicating drink, attempted to cut his throat with a razor. He was immediately taken into custody by the police. - Ibid 23.


On Thursday last, Nov. 18th. The wife of Mr. Henry NEWMAN of a son.


At Wild Cove on Friday last, the wife of Mr. Silas BURT of a daughter.


At St. Peter's Church by the Rev. R. TEMPLE, R.D., on Nov. 11th, Mr. James JEYNES to Miss Martha MURRAY, both of Back Harbor.


At St. Peter's Church by the Rev. R. TEMPLE, R.D., on Nov. 16, Mr. John ROBERTS, jr., of Wild Cove to Miss Charlotte BOYD of Tizzard's Harbor.


At St. Peter's Church by the Rev. R. TEMPLE, R.D., on Nov. 17th., Mr. Joseph SIMMS of Crow Head, to Miss Lucy Ann JEYNES of Back Harbor.


At St. Peter's Church by the Rev. R. TEMPLE, R.D., on Nov. 23rd., Mr. George ROUSELL of Leading Tickles to Miss Emily Ann NEWMAN of Front Harbor, Twillingate.


On Thursday, Nov. 25th., by the Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Mr. Archibald BULGON to Miss Susan BURT, both of Twillingate.


In the Methodist Parsonage on Wednesday, Nov. 24th, 1880, by Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Mr. Elias ROBERTS to Miss Susan HOUSE, both of Twillingate.


On Sunday, Nov. 12th., of diphtheria, Alfred, son of Abel and Elizabeth BURTON, Carter's Head, aged 2 years.


December 2, 1880

The weather, which has hitherto been somewhat propitious, is now coming upon us in full force. The past two or three days have been considered as cold as many during the whole of last winter. Very good skating has been procured and freely indulged in on the various ponds.

Smart Work

On Saturday last, over 1600 quintals of fish were taken from the stores of E. DUDER, Esq., and shipped onboard the schooners Vivid and Victor, which were loading for St. John's. This must be considered good work for these short days, and we think that it evidences a display of smartness on the part of those engaged, worthy of commendation, and which perhaps, would not be outrivaled in any other community.

Shipping News

The schooner Constance was cleared last week for St. John's, with a load of fish by the firm of Messrs W. WATERMAN & Co.

Accident-Little Bay Mine

We are indebted to a friend at Little Bay for the following: ""A sad accident occurred here on Friday 19th. November. A young man named William WILLIAM of New Harbor, Trinity Bay, employed on brace at the mouth of shafts, while reaching for a tub that had come up, accidentally lost his balance and fell down the shaft, 330 feet. When picked up at the bottom, it was found that he was dead, which was caused through concussion of the brain. The young man is, I understand, the chief support of his widowed mother. ""

Shipping News

The schooner Vivid, arrived from St. John's on Friday evening. On Saturday discharged 140 hhds. [hogs heads] of salt and general cargo, and loaded with oil, and about 1400 quintals, and was ready to leave again same evening. The Vivid has made twelve trips to St. John's this season, besides a trading and collecting trip. Last year she went to St. John's fourteen times.

Shipping News

The Coastal steamer Plover, arrived here on Sunday morning en route to St. John's….. John NURSE, Esq., Took passage by her for the Metropolis.

The Eskimo Murderer (1)

We remarked on Friday that the Eskimo charged with murder at Nain has just been captured. He would have been brought here from Harbor Grace yesterday if the steamer had crossed, but the weather was too rough, and he will probably be sent over today instead. The story of the later years of this man's career, as far as it is yet told, exhibits a singularly vicious nature. Of course, we only give the narrative of his deeds as we learn it, and without any prejudgment upon allegations which have yet to be tested by the law. He was born at Nain, Labrador. His name is Ephriam, and his age is thirty six. Nothing more is said of him until the time of his marriage in 1865 to a woman named Ruth. Ten months after their marriage, she fell from a height into the sea and was drowned. In 1868, he married a widow with three sons, his second wife being by twenty four years his senior. His violence to her sons was such that it drove them all from the house, and his treatment of the mother was exceedingly cruel. He is also charged with savage conduct toward his parents. On one occasion, when they and one of his stepsons named Paul, were working together, a dispute arose and, as they left the place, he fired a gun at them and the ball barely missed killing his father.

The Eskimo Murderer (2)

His temper was at all times fierce, and he frequently uttered threats against the members of his wife's family. In September last, Ephriam and his step son, Philip, traveled from their fishing place up into a creek. Soon after they began to move, Philip was shot through the neck and died on the spot. Ehphiam's first story was that Philip stumbled and fell, and in the fall the gun got discharged, and Philip's wife Nancy, who is said to have been Ephriam's paramour, confirmed the statement. She afterwards however, told Philip's brother Paul, that this statement was untrue, and that she was afraid of Ephriam to tell the truth, which was that Ephriam himself had committed the murderous act. She added that he had threatened her own life and that of her child, if she did not confirm his version of the cause of Philip's death. The Moravian Missionaries, on hearing of the case, sent some of their body with a company of Eskimos to the place where Philip's body lay. Meeting Ephriam on the way, they apprehended him. On examination, he adhered to his first assertion that the cause of death was accidental, and persisted in this, even when confronted with Nancy, who now made a contrary statement. She said that as soon as Ephriam came back, after Philip's death, he told her that he had shot him. Ephriam still denied.

The Eskimo Murderer (3)

The Missionaries and their party then made him go with them to the scene of blood. As they went, he uttered threats that something worse would yet happen. Soon after, and before reaching their destination, Ephriam voluntarily confessed to the party that he was guilty of the crime. He said he had gone out hunting with Philip, that they were disputing about Nancy, that Philip said something which Ephriam thought disparaging of her, and that a struggle ensued, that Philip seized his gun, and Ephriam also laid hold of it and threw Philip down. He then shot him from behind in the nape of the neck. When the Missionaries arrived at the place, they found Ephriam's gun hidden in the bushes, and near it, Philip's body, wrapped in a reindeer skin, partially buried and covered with turf and wood. The place where the ball had gone through, was distinctly seen. They here and then made a grave and interred the body. The Missionaries lost no time in ridding the locality of Ephriam and sending him on here to be dealt with as the law shall adjudge. - St. John's Evening Telegram, Nov. 23.

Shipping News

The schooners Ocean Traveler and Muscliff arrived from St. John's this afternoon.

Narrow Escape

Whilst a man named LACEY was landing from schooner Emeline, lying at WATERMAN & Co's wharf, he narrowly escaped drowning by falling in the water, having mistaken his footing. Help was at hand and the only result was a wet jacket and a change of clothing.


On Friday evening, at the residence of the bride's father, by the Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Methodist Minister, Frauz HACKER, Esq., Civil Engineer, Bett's Cove, to Miss Sarah DUDER, daughter of John C. DUDER, Esq., Collector of Customs, Bett's Cove.


On Nov. 8th., in the Wesleyan Church, Change Islands, by the Rev. Wm. H. EDYVEAN, Mr. Wm. John LeDREW to miss Elizabeth WELLS, both of Change Islands.


On Nov. 8th., in the Wesleyan Church, Change Islands, by the Rev. Wm. H. EDYVEAN, Mr. Benjamin TAYLOR to Miss Rebecea COVADUCK, both of the same place.


On Nov. 10th., in the Methodist Church, Change Islands, by the Rev. Wm. H. EDYVEAN, Mr. Thomas William MOORS to Miss Susannah PILLY, both of Change Islands.

Letter to the Editor (1)

From Bonavista, Nov. 22nd., 1880. Dear Sir: We are pleased to be able to say that at no time for several years past has the prospect of the Temperance cause seemed so bright…. Two very pleasing….. Public Temperance meetings…. The first was held on the 4th. inst., .... officers were installed..... Mr. R.B. HEMLAW, who I understand is L.D., was the installing officer. Rev. Jabez HILL of Catalina acted as G.W.I.M. and Miss Jessie STRATHIE as G.W.I.D.M. ... Mr. HEMLAW delivered a stirring speech...... in denouncing the grog seller.... The next speaker was W.C.T., Mr. I. SNELGROVE, who by virtue of his office, occupied the chair...... He himself was a total abstainer from his childhood and had been identified with Temperance societies for many years....... Mr. ROWSELL followed with a reading which was creditably rendered. We were told that Mr. R. intended to give his ""maiden"" speech. In fact we were told, while in the hall, that he had it cut, but suppose it was not sufficiently dried for exhibition on the night in question....

Letter to the Editor (2)

Mr. VINCENT was the next name on the program.... informed after.... that he occupied a few minutes less than half an hour.. He spoke of the effects of ""drinking gin"".... Mr. J. BROWN then gave a reading, after which Rev. Jabez HILL of Catalina, gave what was termed, the speech of the evening. It was so good, Mr. Editor, that a mere outline would be an injustice..... On Thursday evening last, the friends of Temperance having learned that two gentlemen, identified with the Temperance cause at St. John's, were in town... request them to give address..... which they consented to do.... Mr. SNELGROVE filled the chair, and gave a most original and patriotic speech.... introduced F.W. BOWDEN, Esq., Editor of The Public Ledger, who gave a good.... We hope Mr. B. will publish it in his paper... The next speaker was H.Y. MOTT, Esq., who gave a fine address... of wit, humor, and sound reasoning.....prevented any from saying that what Mr. M. said was dry!.... Rev. Mr. EMBREE was next introduced....spoke of ..... injuries caused by strong drink.... We are informed that over 20 persons have joined.... But for one reason, Mr. Editor, which we do not care to mention in this letter, we think we would join too! Yours &c., Neo Periculo.

White Bay (Part 1)

White Bay was not always, the unsought no man's land it is now. There are traces in various parts of fishing rooms, in which large business was carried on in former days. During the American Wars, some of these settlements were destroyed, and after the French Treaties were made, the Bay was left unoccupied by English Merchants. But a few salmon catchers and furriers made it their home, after a while, and there are those yet living who may have been acquainted with the three first families who occupied the triangular points, (as it were), of the Upper Bay; the GALES at Riverhead, The PITTMANS at Sop's Island, and the JACOBS at Wiseman's Cove. After a while, others settled down; two brothers named OSMOND occupied Seal Cove, RICE went to Hanling Point, RANDALLS to Grand Vache, and so on, and at the Census in 1857, the late Bishop FIELD was surprised that there were about 200 church people in the Bay, and these, utterly without Religious Instruction, fast sinking into heathenish ignorance.

White Bay (Part 2)

The Good Bishop, himself, undertook to look after those lost sheep of the Church of England, and in 1859, paid a visit to White Bay in the Hawk. The printed journal of his voyage is very interesting. The Bishop promised them a Clergyman as soon as possible, but was unable to send them one until 1864. The good Bishop little thought, when he made the promise, that a young man was then studying in England, who would be sent out to him by the S.P.G. in 1861, and become eventually, the man he sought. But so it came to pass by God's Providence! It was the Bishop's hope, that a mine, then lately opened at Little Bay, near Partridge Point, would be a success, and assist the White Bay Mission. But it was relinquished very soon, and the mission had to be helped from various sources. Until 1873, there was no fixed salary for the Missionary, he lived roughly as he could.

White Bay (Part 3)

But a kind English lady provided means to build a Church and Parsonage, and another English lady even ventured to share the Missionary's work and home. Now, therefore, the mission is more settled and more like others. But the one Church is in the center of a circle, whose radius is not far from twenty miles, and in order to worship in the Church, it is necessary for all, but a few families to row, in boats, various distances, from three to twenty miles. Although there are now about 700 inhabitants, there is not a road in White Bay, there is scarce any school grant, no relief for the poor, so there are many difficulties in the way of the Missionary. But time, which smoothes most obstacles, will doubtless alter these, and it is to be hoped that the Rev. T.W. TEMPLE will have as great satisfaction in doing his work of building upon the foundation laid for him by his Brother, as that Brother had in laying the foundation itself. May his work be true and may it be blessed.


December 9, 1880

In the Methodist Church on Saturday, Dec. 4th., by the Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Mr. George GUY to Miss Rosanna PENNY, both of Twillingate.


On Monday, Dec. 9th., Mr. Elias BARNES, aged 70 years, a native of England.

Shipping News

The steamer Hercules called here about noon on Tuesday last, en route for the mining districts, having aboard a full cargo of freight and a number of passengers for the different places. The frequent trips of this steamer under the command of Capt. CROSS, who appears to be a favorite among those who take passage by her, is a great convenience to the public. We understand the Hercules will make another run North, this season.

Libel Case

Our St. John's correspondent informs us that the libel case of Hon. A. SHEA vs. The Evening Telegram, was to have been heard before Court and Special Jury on Monday last. Messrs. WINTER & CARTER and McNEILY & McNEILY for Mr. SHEA, and Mr. J.H. BOONE and Mr. KENT, Q.C., for the Telegram. He also states that in the case of Edmund and Stephen VATER, and LUSH and LANE, for scuttling the schooner Somerset, the two former have been proven guilty.


We note the arrival from St. John's per Plover, of the Rev. S. FLYNN of Fortune Harbor, who is a guest for a few days, at the residence of J.B. TOBIN, Esq. We wish the Rev. gentleman a safe return to his parish. F. BERTEAU, Esq., Stipendiary Magistrate, and J. NURSE, Esq., arrived from the Metropolis by the steamer Hercules on Tuesday evening. Capt. PILL, manager of the Seal Bay Mine, was in town the past week, and left again by the Plover on Wednesday.

Marine Notes

The schooner Minnie, Moores Master, belonging to Mr. Joseph STRONG, Little Bay Islands, put in here on Sunday last, on her way from St. John's, having been 14 or 15 days out. She left there previous to the late gales, and was driven to sea twice. The first time she was 120 miles off Cape Brace, and having succeeded in making the land, the craft was again compelled to go a long distance off, where they fell in with a foreign going ship and replenished their supply of water, which was becoming exhausted. We are glad of the Minnie's safe arrival to her destination.

Marine Notes

The schooners Maggie and Success, the former of Fogo and the latter of Fortune Harbor, with a general cargo for J.B. TOBIN Esq., of this town, which left St. John's previous to the recent storms, have not yet been heard from.

Marine Notes

The barque Zebra, from St. John's with a cargo of coal for Bett's Cove, has been in port the past few days waiting for a favorable time to proceed thither.

Marine Notes

The English schooner Stirling was cleared for Portugal with a cargo of fish on Tuesday last, by the firm of Messrs. OWEN & EARLE.

Marine Notes

The following schooners have left for St. John's from the firm of Messrs. WATERMAN & Co., with fish and oil, since our last issue: Ocean Traveler, HILL Master; Muscliff, ELLIOTT Master; Fawn, SPENCER Master. The Branshea, HARBIN Master; also left Nipper's Harbor with a cargo of fish for St. John's. - The Biancia left here for Nipper's Harbor to load for same place.

Marine Notes

The Cyprus, GUY Master, arrived from St. John's on Tuesday last.

Suicide at Old Perlican

Late news from the Northward reports a case of suicide at old Perlican, by an insane woman named Mary ROWE, wife of Richard ROWE, fisherman. She had shown the signs of mental aberration until the 13th. Ult., then nothing alarming. On the 23rd., she uttered some violent language, and though remonstrated with by her husband, she continued to do so a good deal, for about two days, and then, apparently, became quite calm. In a day or two however, she again became disturbed, and attempted to escape from the house, This was prevented, but she tried again, and succeeded, while her husband, weary with watching, had fallen asleep. After a short time, she returned home and struck herself in the head with a stone and then with a glass bottle. Hand cuffs were put on but were soon taken off, as she appeared very quiet. Her husband, thinking all was right, left the house, no one but the servant girl being with his wife, the latter was in bed. When he returned, however, he found his wife dead; she had cut her throat with his razor, which, though he had hidden it away, she contrived to find. The poor woman was 67 years of age. - St. John's Nfldr. Dec. 3.

Cathedral Completion

The following extracts are taken from a private letter, received last mail from St. John's: ""We have suspended operations on the Cathedral building for the winter, but numbers of men are employed cutting stone in readiness for the opening of the spring. We have about 800 tons of stone on the ground, paid for, and I suppose our good friends will give us a ""haul"" in February, when probably over 2000 tons of local stone will be deposited on the Cathedral grounds. We have about £2000 in hand, and the first installments are coming in, which will, I trust, swell the amount to about £4000. This will more than carry us through next year, when the second installments will, I hope, be paid in, which will carry us through the following one, and in this way, we may hope to see the grand pile finished. If every Church man in the Island would only do a little, how soon would the work be finished!"" .... "My daughter, only 12 years old, is very enthusiastic about the good work, and wrote to some of my friends in England, concerning it. They sent her a large assortment of fancy articles for sale, and on Thursday fortnight, she had a sale of the little things in our drawing room. She invited members of the ladies belonging to the three parishes. All came, and in less than two hours, all were disposed of. She found that her feeble efforts had furnished £10, 15s, 6d to the building fund. Dear child; she was charmed! Why could not others do likewise?"

The Labrador Mission

The following is a report written by Rev. John PETERS, Bett's Cove: For many years a Minister of the Newfoundland Methodist Conference has been appointed to labor on the Southern part of the coast of Labrador. In fact, Red Bay has become one of our Mission Stations, and Bro. BOWELL has been laboring there, and in the neighborhood, for nearly three years with much success...... Accordingly, the lot fell upon the writer.... All went well until we reached Jigger Tickle. Here although it was the 18th of July, we met an immense body of ice which rendered all effort to get further North, futile... There we were for three days, during most of which time, the thermometer was only two degrees above the freezing point..... Finally we succeeded in reaching Cape Harrigan, the farthest extent of the steamer's route. We expected to find several vessels here, but were disappointed. Nothing now remained for us to do, but to return as far as the Turnavick Islands. Before doing so, however, we spent a pleasant evening in what is known as the Hopedale Mission. This is an Esquimaux settlement, in which the Moravians long since established themselves. As the steamer was to harbor for the night, some fifty or more of the natives came on board about 9 o'clock, and amused the company by singing till near midnight. They have been well trained in this art. The pieces sung were chiefly from SANKEY's collection, all of which were beautifully rendered in their own tongue. At Turnavick we were warmly welcomed by Abraham BARTLETT, Esq., and family, of Brigus, who did their best to make our few days stay with them all that could be desired. On the Sabbath, a store which had been fitted up for the religious services, was kindly placed at our disposal. In this building about 120 [the copy ends here]"

Marine Notes

By the arrival of the Plover, we learn that the schooner Nautlis, belonging to Messrs. P. ROGERSON & Son, St. John's, on her way from that port to the mining districts with a cargo of coal, grounded on a rock at Broad Cove, near Greenspond, a few evenings since. Having been considered in a sinking state, she was abandoned by the crew. The schooner was afterwards boarded by four men belonging to Greenspond, who were fortunate in getting her off and taking her safely into that port.

Fire at Bett's Cove

A break house in connection with the mining works at Bett's Cove, was destroyed by fire on Monday night last.


December 16, 1880

The schooner Annie Laura returned from the Bay on Monday last, with a cargo of firewood. It was so late in the season before the fish could be cured and shipped, and the fall promised to be so mild, that the severe weather set in before many of our people were prepared to leave for the Bay to procure their winter's fuel.


Wild sea game has been plentiful outside the Harbor within the last few weeks, and some have been successful knocking down fair numbers. Several seals have been shot in the vicinity of our Harbor during the past eight or ten days…..


The Rev. Theodore NURSE left for Brooklyn, Bonavista Bay per Plover, on Monday last, to resume his Ministerial duties on that mission, where he has labored with general acceptance in the past. Messrs. S. BAIRD, J.P., R.C. RUSSELL and Geo. HODDER also left for the Metropolis the same time. We note the arrival per steamer Hercules, of the Rev. Mr. WHYTE, who arrived at St. John's from Scotland a short time ago, for the purpose of taking the Pastorate of the Congregational Church of this town, in the place of the Rev. Mr. WILSON, whose declining health, we understand, necessitated a visit to his native land, and would not allow him to return. We welcome the Rev. Mr. WHYTE..... W.J. OWEN, Esq., also arrived from St. John's last evening.

Missing Schooners

We regret to learn that up to the time the Hercules left St. John's on Tuesday, no intelligence could be ascertained respecting the missing schooners Maggie and Success, mentioned last week.


On Wednesday, Dec. 8th., by the Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Methodist Minister, Mr. John VERGE of Twillingate, to Miss Mary RICE of Herring Neck.


At Springfield, Ontario, on the 11th ult., of typhoid fever, Robert B. CANDOW, aged 38 years and 4 months, youngest son of David CANDOW, Esq., Stipendiary Magistrate. Bonavista. The deceased was much respected in the community in which he lived. His end was peace.


December 23, 1880
  Night School

We understand Mr. J.H. TAVERNER intends opening a night school at the Arm, for the purpose of imparting instructions to the young men of schooner owners and others who may be desirous of obtaining knowledge of the Chart….. Terms will be given on application to Mr. TAVERNER, and all who wish to attend must give in their names by the first week in January next.


A Young man named William BARNES of Herring Neck, left his home on the afternoon of Wednesday the 15th. Inst., for the purpose of attending to some rabbit slips, which were set a short distance in the woods. Not returning after a prolonged absence, apprehensions were entertained regarding his safety, and a search was made for his whereabouts, and on Thursday the young man was found. It appears that he had been subject to the fits, and must have expired while overtaken by the same.


We are glad to learn through the Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, that Mark OSMOND, Esq., of Moreton's Harbor, has consented to contribute £5 toward the building fund of the new Methodist Church of this town.


On Friday last, the wife of Mr. Solomon ROBERTS of Change Islands, of a son.


On Dec. 18th., by Rev. T.W. ATKINSON, Mr. Robert J. MOORS, Back Harbor, to Miss Louisa WHITE of the same place.


At Bile Cove, Exploits on Dec. 16th., by Rev. H.C.H. JOHNSON, Mr. Thomas WAY, eldest son of the late Capt. WAY of St. John's, to Miss Maria MOORE of same place.


At Marret's Harbor on the 19th. Dec., by the Rev. W.H. EDYVYEAN, Mr. Thomas BURT of Pursell's Harbor, to Miss Elizabeth CARD of Merritt's Harbor.

Contributed and Transcribed by George White

Page Revised by Craig Peterman (December 2002)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]