Rendell, Edith Clara nee Payne
As the dawn was breaking of Saturday morning the 28th of October 1950, the soul of Edith Clare Rendell passed quickly and peacefully to the great beyond.
At midnight the previous night she retired in apparently her usual health, and without warning at 7 o'clock the following morning, she was stricken with cerebral hemorrage and passed away in her sleep, without gaining consciousness. Dr. Short was quickly at her bedside, but on his arrival found that life was extinct.
Born at St. John's, 60 years ago, the daughter of William and Susannah Payne (both deceased), she attended school at the Old Methodist College, and after leaving High School, she was employed at the Royal Stores, until her marriage on November 17th, 1914, at the Anglican Cathedral, St. John's, by the late Bishop White. She took up residence at Heart's Content, where her husband was employed by the Western Union Cable Company, and continued to serve the community and St. Mary's Anglican Church, of which she was a faithful worker. She was also a Charter Member of The Court Pioneer Independent Order of Foresters.
In 1937 she opened what many patrons remember quite well, the "Rowesbank Inn", but which after some years owing to failing health she was forced to discontinue.
Besides her husband, H.R. Rendell of the U.S. Naval Station, Argentia, three children survive; (Marjorie), Mrs. Harry Warren and Eva at Heart's Content, and (Edith), Mrs. Donald D. Berggren, at St. Paul, Minnesota, also two grandchildren, Donnie and Anne Berggren.
One daughter Gladys Payne predeceased 24 years ago.
Mrs. Berggren and her two children visited her mother the past summer, July and August, having been away for the past eight years, this being the first time that the deceased had seen her grandchildren.
The late Mrs. Rendell also leaves one brother and two sisters, namely; William Payne, Methuen, Mass; Mrs. John Maxwell, Corner Brook and Mrs. Thomas Wakeham, St. John's.
The many callers at the home, letters, telegrams, wreaths and cards of sympathy, testified to the esteem the deceased lady was held.
The funeral which took place at Heart's Content on Monday, October 30th, 1950 at 2:30 pm was largely attended, the beautiful Ritual of the Church of England both at the Church and graveside being conducted by the Rector, Rev. H. MacKay.
And so was laid to rest in that Cemetery, looking to the East, all that was mortal of a life well lived for the home and community, may her soul rest in peace.
(Note received from Geoff Martin - She was a daughter of William James Payne and Susannah Carter. William from Harbour Grace and Susannah from St. John's. They are both buried in Section DH at Forest Road Anglican Cemetery.
Edith was baptised at St. Mary's Anglican Church (Southside) in St. John's, Baptisms 1884 - 1891 PANL: Volume 27)