Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Daily News
1930 Part 1




In Memoriam
Mrs. James Hearn
Petty Harbour , Dec. 31.-
Just before the old year ended, on December 30th Mary Elizabeth, beloved wife of James Hearn, passed into the Great Beyond after a long illness. The regular attendance of Dr. Carter, P.P., and the unceasing visits of Dr. Bennett, helped during these weeks of suffering to relieve the moments when dark shadows crossed the threshold. It was a sad event in the history of the lives of the Hearn family, as well as her own relatives when the deceased crossed the great divide. Formerly Miss Minnie Doyle, she not only her husband to mourn, but five children. There are several other, relatives-two sisters, Mrs. J. P. Duffy and Mrs. Norah Kelly; two brothers, John and William, the latter of the power plant at Petty Harbour. The funeral obsequies took place on New Year's afternoon, and the attendance was a striking tribute to the charitable disposition and kindly qualities of the deceased. Dr. Carter, P.P., officiated at the last rites, and the undertaking arrangements were looked after by N. J. Murphy. To her husband, and family, as well as to all her relatives and numerous friends, we tender our sincere sympathy......
.... And so the time had come ,
When earth called back to earth
Through winter snows.
And thus another enter into rest.
With one Who knows."

J. D.


HEARN-At Petty Harbour on December 30th, Mary Elizabeth, beloved of wife of James Hearn, leaving to mourn Husband, five children, two sisters, Mrs. J P. Duffy and Mrs. Norah Kelly, and two brothers, John and William, funeral took place Thursday afternoon interment at Petty Harbour.



Heart's Content, Jan. 3-
The angel of death has visited Heart's Content and taken from us one of the citizens in the person of John Murphy in his 61st year. Mr. Murphy contacted a heavy chill while working as foreman on the highroads the past summer, which brought on a serious ailment from which he never recovered. During his illness he was never heard to murmur or complain and all that loving hands could do was done for him, but despite all he passed very peacefully away on Sunday, December 22nd., receiving the rites of his Church but two hours before. The funeral took place on Christmas day and was very largely attended the U. S. F. attending in a body, the late Mr. Murphy being a life-long member. Left to mourn his passing are Miss Frances and Matt at home. George of New York, who arrived home just before the end came; and Malcolm of New York; a brother Mr. Archibald Murphy, and a sister, Mrs. Sarah Sinyard, to all of whom sincere sympathy is extended.
Until the day dawn.

Sydney, N.S. -
On December 22nd at Sydney, N.S. there passed peacefully away a highly respected native of St. John's West, the late John Saunders, brother of Peter, who died in Montreal about ten years ago. John was a shipwright here for many years and a very familiar figure daily in this port of ships. He left here for Sydney about 28 years ago, and was employed for a number of years with the Steel Co. Subsequently retiring owing to ill health. He was the last of a large family familiar to many on and about St. John's and the whole country. He lived to a good old age 83 years. He is survived by three daughter-Mrs. Harris McGrath, Arlington, Mass., Miss Bride with the Catholic Record staff of London, Ont., and Miss Margaret at home. His wife and only son predeceased him many years ago. He was a prominent member of the Star of the Sea association for over thirty years. His funeral took place Christmas eve when a requiem Mass was sung in the Church of the Sacred Heart by the pastor, Rev. J. H. McDonald. Interment was at the Holy Cross Cemetery, where service was conducted by Rev. Father Landry.
May his soul rest in peace.

Wesleyville -
A message was received on Saturday night by Mrs. Flora Kean from her brother, Jesse Hann, acquainting her of the fact that her granddaughter, Mrs. John Hann, had passed away during the day, and I was requested to write her obituary. Of her very little can be said that has not already been said, for the news that she had attained her centenary birthday on the 18th day of August last was well ventilated through our daily papers. She was the mother of eleven children, seven daughters and four sons, of whom six are still living, Capt. George Hann, Peter and Charles, Mrs. William Barbour, Mrs. Jacob Blackmore (of New York), and Mrs. Cornelius Winsor of Wesleyville. Shortly after her last child was born deceased lost her husband. He was drowned crossing the ice on an arm of water not far from his home at Cape Freels. She was very closely to her children and stayed with them all through her widowhood, giving them her council and advise. They in turn were most obedient children and most reverently respected their mother. On her centenary birthday which happened to be on a Sunday, the Rev. Hr. Hillier preached a sermon in honor of her old age, and she attended church in person, walking from her house to the church without apparent inconvenience. Hundreds of people all over the shore attended the service and to show their respect for her took up a collection and presented her with a purse of money to commemorate the occasion. She was a Methodist by persuasion and in her younger days took a very active part in church work, and many clergymen will recall the motherly care and attention they received at her home and will never forget the welcome with which she always greeted them on the arrival. The end has come, but not untimely, so far as we are able to judge. We Believe her long life was in large measure due to the fact the she did not worry but was of a pleasant turn of mind, kind in disposition had a good word for every body, lived a good life , consequently every part of the body and mind worked in unison together. That the end should come just on the beginning of a new year seems to me to be very fitting. she has commenced a new year in a new world and has begun a new life, and according to the faith she lived we believe will play her part in the future with the spirits of just men and women made perfect. What that life will be we can only conjecture. We have however, faith in the life Mrs. Hann lived among us here to believe she has gone to meet the "well done" of her master, I am not offering my sympathy to her surviving children on the contrary I offer them my congratulation. To live in the memory of such a mother is something to be thankful for.-A. Kean

Anchorage, January 6th 1930

, son of Delbert and Bertha Forward, died of paralysis in the Hospital at St. John's on Tuesday morning at 4.30, after about 4 months there. He had gone to Labrador with the family in the early summer, hoping that the change might be a benefit to his health, but after a few weeks was compelled to return again to linger and die. He had for a considerable time endured patiently and submissively his long and wearisome sickness, until he passed away, quietly as a little child, and so resigned to his fate, that the end might almost be called a happy one.
Almost the largest funeral we have ever seen on the South side followed the remains of a young man who was greatly respected. The children of the Sunday School, quite a gathering led by the long faithful superintendent, Mr. Robert Frazie, and the teachers, helped to swell the number which filled the church where the writer was requested to address a few words to the congregation and to the relatives and near friends of the departed. "Rock of Ages," "Asleep in Jesus" and "The Morning Flowers," were the appropriate hymns on the occasion. Miss Florrie Taylor, the school teacher, was organist. The minister for the service was Rev. Mr. Burge. Besides his parents, he leaves his two brothers, Cecil and Maxwell and his loving sister Marjoria who certainly miss him for a long time in the quite home. The coffin was very profusely covered with flowers from kind friends, and the snow falling on the coffin, a symbol in a way of the life that had been lived, was beautiful white. We sympathize deeply with the bereaved friends, and would remind them of the inspiring hope of the last verse of the hymn:---
"Let sickness blast and death devour,
If heaven must recompense our pain,
Perish the grass and fade the flower,
If firm the word of God remain."
Carbonear, Jan. 3rd 1930




After a short illness death came to James Walsh yesterday at the Grace Hospital. The deceased who was but 45 years old had been with the Avalon telephone Co. for the past five years, and before that was at the Dock during the construction and for some years with the firm of J. D. Ryan. He married Miss Healy sister of Mr. Joseph Healy of the Avalon Telephone co., and leaves to mourn besides his wife, one daughter Margaret and 4 sons Patrick at the Avalon Telephone Co.,  Michael with Postal Telegraph, Vincent and Harold at home and 4 brothers, John, Patrick, George and Martin. The funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at 2.30 p.m. from his residence, Burke's Square.

Mrs. E. E. ULPH
Mr. S. R. Dawe of the Western Union Telegraph Co. Bay Roberts was advised by cable on Saturday morning of the death of his sister Mrs. E.E. Ulph at St. Vincent, Cape Verde Islands, where she and her husband resided since the departure from Bay Roberts some four or five years ago. The late Mrs. Ulph was never of robust health but it was hoped her visit to Newfoundland from which she returned less than a year ago had benefited her considerably. the news of her death is therefore a great suprise to family and friends.
Mrs. Ulph was the daughter of Mrs. and the late Capt. Henry Dawe of Bay Roberts. Besides the brother mentioned, she is survived by another who is clerk in charge with the C. P. R. at Canso, N.S. There are seven sisters, one, Mrs. (Rev.) Wright, residing in England, Mrs. Robert Dawe, Mrs. E J Godden of this city, Mrs. J W Dawe and Mrs. Edward Dawe of Bay Roberts and Mrs. W. N. Ford and Mrs. Arthur White, of Heart's Content. There will be much sympathy felt for the mother and family in their bereavement.

A correspondent sends the following interesting speculation on whether the tidal wave of November 18th 1929 was caused by a meteor. "When I read in the public message a day or two ago that the cable steamer reported finding the ocean bed covered with lava.  I wondered it a comet or meteor could have cause the earthquake."
There are several people in Freshwater who saw what they said was a comet, dash across the sky to the southeast, just at the very time of the quake. We didn't pay much attention to them, as we though it might have been a shooting star, but next day one of our captains who was at Bay de Verde at the time, came up to Carbonear and said he was looking out to sea, and saw a high comet "with a tail a mile long" dash to the southeast at the very time of the tremor. He said he knew at once what it was, as he saw one in Spain some years ago. We looked up "Meteor" last night and found that their bodies were composed of rocks, iron and other minerals, and their tails of dust, so we were wondering if that one could have struck the ocean bed and caused the earthquake. It would be interesting to hear the opinion of someone who understands these things.




FEAVER-BUTT-At the First Methodist Episcopal Church, Astoria, New York, January 1st, by the Rev. Dr. Poten, Charles Maxwell Feaver to Miss Amelia I Butt, both of this city


VAUGHAN-died suddenly yesterday afternoon at 6 p.m., Henry Vaughan, ages 74 years, leaving wife, four sons, and one daughter to mourn their sad loss, funeral on Thursday afternoon at 2.30 from his late residence, 113 Patrick Street.

McGUIRE-Passed peacefully away , at11.30 a.m. yesterday, Mary B. McGuire, eldest daughter of N. B. and the late Laura McGuire. Funeral on Thursday, at 2.30 p.m., from her late residence, 162 Patrick Street.

PUTT-Passed peacefully away yesterday morning at the ripe old age of 88 years, Mary Harriet Putt, relict of the late Philip Putt. Funeral takes place Thursday, at 1.30 p.m., from her late residence Kenmount Road. R. I. P.



Peter Molloy
aged 9 years and ten months who was burned at his home a few nights ago when his nightdress caught on fire passed away at the General Hospital at two o'clock this morning. He was severely burned about the body and though everything possible was done his life could not be saved. His mother who had her hands burned is attempting to quench the flames, is still suffering much. The lad is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Molloy, Long's Hill, to whom the sympathy of many friends will be extended, left to mourn besides his parents are seven sisters. The funeral takes place from his late residence 57 Long's Hill, tomorrow afternoon at 2.30.

7 Young Folk Drowned during Sleigh Ride on Exploits Run
Bodies of Six Girls and Boy Not Recovered Last Night From Tragedy Of Wednesday-
Thought May gone Though in Steamer's Channel
When a sleigh crashed through the ice in the Exploits Ships Run somewhere near Point of the Bay, about a dozen miles below Botwood, on Wednesday evening, seven young women and girls were drowned. They were Effie Budgell, S.A. teacher, Phillips Head, ages 25; Doris Pelly, Phillips Head, aged 17, Carrie Baker, Philips Head, aged 20, Chesley, Bessie and Ethel Peckford, children of Edwin Peckford, Point of Bay, ages respectively 18, 16 and 14 years; and Matilda Marsh Point of Bay, aged 11 years.
Up to last evening the bodies had not been found, the presence of a swift current making their recovery a difficult problem. Intimation of the tragedy was received by the Justice Department yesterday from magistrate Fitzgerald, of Grand Falls, who has been notified by Rev. W. J. Woolfrey, of Botwood. Up to midnight last nigh no further word had been received either in the city or by Magistrate Fitzgerald at Grand Falls, but the latter had sent the police constable at Botwood to the scene of the tragedy to report. Point of the Bay lies on the mainland opposite the end f Thwart Island and is the beginning of the Ships Run. In explanation of the disaster, it is possible that a channel cut by one of the late outgoing Anglo-Nfld Development steamers from Botwood, lightly frozen over, but indistinguishable from being firmer surrounding ice once covered with snow, may have proved the treacherous surface which caused the tragedy. Lady Squire, who is the representative for this district, informed the News that she had received no word but had telegraphed for information.




Harbour  Main, Jan. 19-
There passed peacefully away after a very short illness, on the 10th January, a highly respected resident in the person of the late Captain Patrick Hickey. Deceased had reached the ripe age of 81 years, and up to a short while ago had enjoyed his usual perfect health, and was engaged at his ordinary occupation. A malady that at first was considered trivial, however, became more acute and in spite of medical attendance, it made such inroads on his condition that he began to weaken, and on Friday after having received the last rites of the holy church, he passed away. Captain Hickey was one of the "old school" of seamen, now, however, fast disappearing,-the days of "Iron men and wooden ships". In his earlier years he was engaged in the coastal trade, and shore fishery, and later became master of a banking vessel, and for several years made many successful voyages, and to his memory, it may be said that through his fearlessness and good judgement he never met with a serious mishap while engaged at the bank fishery. Of late years he fished on the Labrador, and Hickey's room at Griffin's Harbour  was well known to all along the coast. His many friends at St. John's and in other parts of the country, will be grieved to hear of his passing. The funeral took place on Monday and after solemn requiem Mass was celebrated by Rev. Father Dwyer, the funeral cortege wended its way to the cemetery on Harbour  Main ridge, followed by a large concourse of people. Besides his widow, he leaves to mourn two daughters at home, Mrs. P Kennedy (merchant), and Mrs. P. D. Hannon (teacher), and two in the U.S.A., Isabella and Mrs. C. Cunningham, also two sons, Patrick in U.S.A., and Thomas in Canada, to whom the sympathy of the entire community is extended.

The trial of Philip LeMessurier, charges with manslaughter, will begin at the Supreme Court this morning at ten o'clock with a special jury.


Friday February 7 1930


CHANNING-PHIPPARD- On Monday, January 20th at the Oratory of the Presentation Convent, Placentia, Kathleen Phippard to Francis M Channing.

FARDY-DILLON-On January 25th at St. Patrick's Church, by Rt. Rev. Monsignor Kitchin, Leo Fardy of the Nfld. Railway to Mable Dillon both of this city.


POUNDED-Died on February 5th after a long illness, James Pounden aged 77 years, leaving a wife and one sister, Mrs. Tapper, residing at Torbay. Funeral on Friday at 12 o'clock from his late residence, 49 Mullock Street to Torbay




ADRIAN-Passed peacefully away at 11.30, February 13th, Amelia, beloved wife of John Adrian. Funeral on Sunday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence, 38 LeMarchant Road.

WALSH-At Kilbride on February 13th, Nora, age 52 years, beloved wife of Patrick Walsh. Leaving to mourn husband, 4 daughters, 1 son, 2 sisters, 1 brother. Funeral on Sunday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence, Kilbride. Interment at Kilbride Cemetery.



Two Ladies Suffered Injured Shoulders From Falls and
Man Rendered Unconscious By Blow From Log.
Three accidents were reported over the weekend and the victims are all in the General Hospital. On Saturday night about 10.30 Mrs. Hammond of 35 Water Street West whilst proceeding to her home slipped on the sidewalk opposite Buchanan Street and dislocated her shoulder. She was taken to Dr . Sharpe's surgery who ordered the woman to hospital after he had ascertained her injuries.
Arthur Warford of Topsail Road was taken to the hospital Saturday night in an unconscious condition. He was working at some logs when he was hit with one on the head and his condition being thought serious he was taken to the hospital. When he arrived there he had regained consciousness and is now doing well.
Mrs. Chafe of Petty Harbour slipped on the ice yesterday and fractured her shoulder. She too is at the hospital.


Tuesday February 18 1930


With feeling of profound sorrow we chronicle the death of Mrs. Mary Ryan which occurred yesterday afternoon at her late residence, No. 101 Hamilton Street. Only a few weeks ago the deceased lady suffered a cerebral hemorrhage and despite every alleviation that medical aid could employ, and the unremitting care of a loving family and friends, the claim of death was inevitable, and peacefully her soul went forth to eternal rest. Blessed with happy and kindly disposition, the late Mrs. Ryan was universally esteemed and respected. In the different social activities organized in the interests of Church and Charity she was particularly prominent, and her time and assistance were always generously bestowed in behalf of any worthy cause. A sister of the late Hon. E. M. Jackman she at all times evinced a deep interest in matters of public concern, and firm in her views she was fearless in their exposition. In her home and children Mrs. Ryan found perhaps her chief delight, and here her hospitality was proverbial. Her husband, the late James Ryan, predeceased her some nine years ago. Left to mourn their sad loss are five daughters, Mrs. F. J. Armstrong of this city , Mrs. Chas. Peddle (Bell Island), and Mona, Gertrude and Nellie; one son Mr. Samuel J Ryan, and three brothers, Messrs. David Jackman of Bell Island, W. H. Jackman of this city, and F. J. Jackman, Montreal. Rev. Father F. J Jackman of Argentia is a nephew. Of Particular consolation in the fact that Mona, Gertrude, Nellie and Samuel who were residing in New York were able to reach home in time to join the family circle at the death-bed of their beloved mother. The funeral will take place from 101 Hamilton Street at 2.30 p.m. tomorrow, Wednesday.

North Sydney, Feb. 10
-The sudden death of Mrs. Sarah Moore occurred Friday, Feb. 7 at her home on Brook Street, Mrs. Moore, who was about 60 years of age, was apparently in good health, but on Friday she was missed by her tenant Mrs. T . Rogers, who upon investigating, found her lying on the floor in an upstairs room. A doctor was summoned and it was found that she had suffered a heart attack which caused her death. Mrs. Moore is survived by one sister, Mrs. Frances LeRossignol, of North Sydney, and three brothers, Captain John Wilson, Charles Wilson of Newfoundland and Edward Wilson of North Sydney.


Wednesday February 19 1930

Two Men Who Are Charged With Complicity Will Be Tried At Supreme Court.

A girl named Mimie March was arraigned last week before magistrate Vatcher and charged with concealment of birth. She was convicted and sentenced to imprisonment for six months. Arising out of this case two men named Kelloway and Hayse were charged with secreting the body of an infant with intent to conceal birth. The elected to be tried by the Supreme Court and preliminary enquiry was held at the end of the week.

Early yesterday afternoon a horse drawing a slide belonging to Fred Lukins took fright on Military Road and bolted down Military Road passing the Newfoundland Hotel and swerved east on Duckworth Street, opposite Devon Row. There a portion of the furniture that was on the slide was thrown off and badly damaged. The horse continued east until it was stopped at Hoylestown By Mr. H. Moore.

John Kirby Of Blackmarsh Road Enters Hospital Yesterday
John Kirby
of Blackmarsh Road an employee of the Highroads Commission had his hip badly injured, yesterday morning and was taken to the General Hospital. Kirby was working in Ellis quarry on the Southside when a large stone was dislodged from above and rolling down a steep incline hit him in the hip. He was resting fairly well this morning.

The shop with all its contents belonging to William McCarthy of Humber Road, Bay of Islands, was totally destroyed by fire at 2.30 a.m. yesterday. No other particulars were received by the Inspector General from acting Sergeant Martin at Corner Brook, than the above.

James Rodgers, 20, carpenter, was arrested on Monday night by Constable Cahill and Roche and faces the following charges: December 24, unlawfully assaulting and beating Elizabeth Leher; and on the 13th of February unlawfully assaulting and beating with a stick Edith Rooney with intent to do her bodily harm. The accused was released on bail last evening.
The case of George Hamilton, barter Hill, was also heard. The accused was given in charge by his father and it charged with being drunk in his home and stealing a coat valued at $4 from his father.
Two drunks were given fines of $1 or 7 days and $5 or 14 days respectively.



Mahogany Chair Brought To St. John's From Harbour Grace Yesterday Could Tell of Past Glories It Has Seen.

A resident of the city brought from Harbour Grace yesterday a mahogany Chair 110 years old. From an historical viewpoint this antique is very valuable. It dates back to the days of the late Thomas Ridley, founder of the firm Ridley & Sons of Harbour Grace. The late Thomas ridley was a native of the town of Enniskillen, Northern Ireland, and came to Newfoundland when he started business in Salmon Cove, Bay de Verde district. He removed to Point of Beach, Harbour Grace, where he ran the largest mercantile business in Newfoundland. It is estimated that at one time the Ridley firm had a tuen-over of some million pounds and had the largest fleet of foreign-going vessels, as well as square-rigged ships and schooners which prosecuted the Labrador fishery for years.
The firm brought out to Newfoundland in 1864 the Retriever, a Square rigger ship and the following year the S. S. Mastiff. Both of the ships were commanded in turn by Captain James Murphy, of Catalina, father of Hon. J. J. Murphy. The first year the crew of the Retriever sheared the biggest bill in the history of Newfoundland, three hundred and odd dollars a man.
The firm of Ridley & Son was amongst the introducers of steam in this country seal fishery. In 1870 the firm failed partly, it is claimed, through political intrigue, but notwithstanding the sacrifice of ships, fish and fishing property, the firm paid to their creditors 14 shillings and 8 pence in the pound.
In this historical chair then were seated from time to time some of the men who made history in Harbour Grace, among whom may be mentioned Thomas, Hooper, Power, Coady, Nuttall, Peter Brown and the famous Surregate Garland. This is an antique which, it it could speak, would tell a tale of fortune both fine and cloudy.




William Mullaly
Northern Bay, March 15-
A sad accident occurred at Northern Bay on Thursday last when an old and respected resident in the person of William Mullaly lost his life. The deceased went into the woods to get some material for firewood, etc. On his way home the loaded catamaran overturned and caught him under the load. No help was forthcoming for some time and when it did come life was extinct. Mr. Mullaly having passed away. The sad occurrence has cast a gloom over the settlement. His son Stephen is at the ice fields and his other son Lawrence at home. With tender sympathy his remains were laid to rest in the R. C. Cemetery on Saturday beside his wife, who had long ago proceeded him. Mr. Mullaly was a highly respected and industrious citizen and came from a long line of respected pereniage and ancestors.
May his soul rest in Peace.



Completion of Criminal Assault Cases Last Night Ends with Jury Award of Guilty And sentence by Justice Higgins.

In the Supreme Court yesterday before His Lordship Mr. Justice Higgins and the following special jury:-William Winsborough, John Walsh, Frederick Smeaton, John Holloway, William Smith, Kenneth H. Bussey, Newman Chown, Edward Snelgrove, Frank McNamara, John Antle, Edwin G. Arnott. The case of the crown vs. William Parrell charged with rape on a 17 year old girl at Mount Peral. The alleged offence was committed in May last. Parrell who was arrested has been on bail since then. The evidence of several witnesses including that of the girls, her mother, Dr. Anderson and the prisoner was taken. After the evidence had been completed Mr. Fox. K.C. for the defence began his address to the jury and spoke for over an hour. After tea the court resumed when Hon. F. G. Bradley, solicitor General, began his address for the prosecution His Lordship's charge to the jury lasted for one hour and ten minutes. At ten o'clock the jury retired and returned at 11.40 and through their foreman, Mr. F. Smeaton, announced that they had found a verdict of guilty. Mr. Fox on behalf of his client address the Bench pleading for mercy, for the accused. His lordship pronounced sentence of two years in the Penitentiary with hard labor.



LEIARIE-In loving memory of our dear son and brother, William (Billy) Learie, who died March 23, 1929.
We deeply mourn for you, dear Billy
No one may see us weep,
But many a silent tear is shed
When others lie asleep.
We think of you in silence
When your name we often call,
But there is nothing left to answer
But your photo on the wall.
The midnight stars are shining
On a lone and silent grave
Beneath sleeps one we deeply love
Yet one we could not save.
His many nights and hours of pain
His tollsome days are passed.
His ever patient worn-out frame
Has found sweet rest at last.
You suffered much you murmured not
We Watched you day by day.
Until the last with broken hearts
We saw you pass away.
(Inserted by Fathe , mother, brothers and sisters)

MORGAN-In loving memory of Kenneth Morgan who died December 4th, at Montreal where he had been living for eight years. After he had been married about two years, both himself and his wife were obliged to go to the mountains. After they had been there about two years, his wife died and two years after he died, aged 36 years. He leaves to mourn two children in Montreal, one sister in Toronto, father, mother, and brother at Salmon Cove District., Carbonear.
A precious one from us is gone
A Voice we loved is stilled
A place is vacant in our home
That never can be filled.




COTTER-Passed peacefully away at the General hospital at o'clock yesterday, Sunday morning, Louisa Cotter, leaving to mourn 1 son and 2 daughters. Funeral to-morrow Tuesday 65 Prescott Street.

HENLEY-On Sunday morning after a long illness Thomas Henley, aged 17½ years. Funeral on Tuesday at 2.30 p.m. from his father's residence J. J. Henley, 9 Newtown Road.

EARLE-Passed away at Change Island, Frederick Charles Earle aged 75 years, leaving three sons and three daughters to mourn.

McGRATH-passed peacefully away on Saturday night March 29th, Ellen McGrath aged 82 years relict of the late Patrick McGrath, leaving one daughter, Mrs. Frederick Coady in Brooklyn, N.Y. and one son James in south Boston. Funeral takes place this Monday at 2.30 p.m. from the late residence 33 Hamilton Street. (New York and Boston papers please copy)




Mrs. John Cotter
The many friends of Mrs. John Cotter received a severe shock on learning of her decease on Sunday at the General Hospital, which she entered as short time ago to undergo an operation. Louisa Bindon Cotter was the widow of the late John Cotter, druggist, and the daughter of the john and Catherine Bindon. She was a lady of a most likeable disposition, devoted to her family and endeared to her friends. Her firm Christianity, unostentatious charity and cheerful kindness combined with her many other good qualities, to make her an ideal wife and mother and a faithful friend, she is mourned by a host of friends and acquaintances scarcely less then by her son, Patrick, residing in New York, her daughter, Catherine and Margaret at home, her brothers, James Bindon, M.H.A., for St. Mary's and William of Sparkes and Bindon, and her sisters, Mrs. P. Martin, and Mrs. J Tobin in U.S.A., and Mrs. P J Grason and Mrs. J Dodd of St. John's, to all of whom the sincerest sympathy of the community is extended.
May her soul rest in peace.

St. John's, March 31st 1930

Change Island:-
The death of Charles Earle at Change Islands on Saturday at the age of 75 removed a popular figure in his day. The late Mr. Earle was born in St. John's was educated under Mr. Marriott and was one of the leading choristers in the Cathedral choir trained by Mr. Rowe. Late in his teens he went to Rose Blanche in the employ of the Rose firm. After spending some time in Canada he returned to Newfoundland in 1876 and entered the firm of Owen and Earle at Fogo, remaining with the firm when it became that of H. J. Earle, and later Earle, sons & Company until his death. In the early eighties, he married Julia Holden of Toronto, a lady most highly esteemed by all who knew her, who predeceased him in 1924 and made their home at Change Islands. Six children survive, three sons and three daughters. Many months ago Mr. Earle underwent a very serious operation of the jaw. Ever since he had bravely bore the disability of partaking food but his cheerful optimism was never lacking. His passing quiet and peacefull, was deeply regretted by a very large circle of the passing generation.


COTTER-Passed peacefully away at the General hospital at 9 o'clock Sunday morning Louisa Cotter, leaving to mourn 1 son and 1 daughter. Funeral today Tuesday at 2.30 from her late residence at Prescott Street.




O'BRIEN-April 6th, after a short illness, William O'Brien, aged 83 years, leaving to mourn one son and three daughters. Funeral on Tuesday at 2.30 p.m.from his late residence, 24 Gower St. R. I. P.

SUMMERS-On Saturday, April 5th, Lucy Summers, aged 10 years and 7 months, daughter of Patrick and Minnie Summers. Leaving mother, father, one sister and three brothers to mourn their sad loss. Funeral to-day, Monday, at 2.30 p.m. from her father's residence, Lakeview Avenue, Quidi vidi Road-R. I. P.

SELLARS-Passed peacefully away 7 p.m. yesterday, Sunday, at the Grace Hospital after a short illness, Mark Sellars, aged 70 years, beloved husband, of Emily Sellars. Leaving to mourn wife, one son, Walter at Bell Island and one daughter Mrs. E. S. Spencer of this city and two brothers. The body will be moved at 5 p.m., today from his daughter's residence's 78 Springdale Street, to the Railway Station. Funeral at Harbour Grace on to-morrow, Tuesday.



HEFFERMAN-On May 13th Patrick beloved son of Mary and the late Philip Hefferman. Funeral on Thursday at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence, the Goulds.
Sacred Heart of Jesus have Mercy on his soul.



James Hynes and William Colbert of St. Brendan's Killed Instantly -
Other Occupant and House Uninjured.
Two fatalities were reported as a result of Sunday severe thunder and lightning storm. James Hynes, aged 79 and William Colbert aged 17, being instantly killed by lighting in their house at St. Brendan's B. B. The remarkable thing about the fatality is that a woman in the house suffered no injuries and very little damage was done to the house. Information regarding the fatality was received by the Marine and Fisheries Department in the following message from the operator at St. Brendan's:- "A sad accident occurred at 5.30 yesterday evening during heavy thunder and lightning storm which raged from midnight. James Hynes aged 79 and William Colbert aged 17, were instantly killed in their home by lighting. Woman suffered no injury and very little damage done to house."

Complaint Laid Against Driver Of Truck Who Is arrested And released after Examination by Doctor.

Last night Mrs. Arthur Grives was coming out the Bay Bulls road in a motor car and a motor truck driven by William Summers going in the same road, collided with the motor car doing a great deal of damage to the left dasher and running board. Summers who was delivering parcels, took too wide a sweep on a turn and hence the collision. Mrs. Grieve telephone the police and made a complaint that the driver was under the influence of alcohol. The police chased the man to Bay Bulls and brought him to the lock-up where he was examined by Dr. Fraser, who pronounced him not under the influence of liquor. Summers was immediately released.

Driver of Car is Charged With Manslaughter and Released On Bail
The victim of the motor accident at Carters Hill, topsail, midnight Sunday, Mr. Frank Morrissey passed away at the General hospital at 5.30 a.m. yesterday. The deceased who lived with his parents on Long Pond Road, was a widower with one daughter. He also leaves besides his parents and daughter, one brother in Syracuse, N. Y. Early yesterday morning following the death of Mr. Morrissey, the driver of the motor car Allan Churchill was charged with manslaughter and released on $10,000 bail.



Son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Stapleton, Harbour Grace, Loses Life in Dam Near Sawmill
Harbour  Grace, July 18.-
On Saturday afternoon, Joseph, the twelve year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Stapleton of Riverhead, left his home about 3.30 to play about with some companions and was last seen at about quarter to four by Mr. Pynn and some men working nearby. The lad with two younger companions went to the pool above the dam near the saw mill just by the railway watering shute and went bathing. Shortly after four the two little companions met Miss Maggie Sullivan, aunt of young Stapleton, and told her he was in the water. An outcry was raised and some men immediately went to the scene and found the lad in the water and promptly got him out but life was found to be extinct, he was taken home and Dr. Strapp was called but nothing could be done. The sad affair cast a gloom over the vicinity and the parents have the deep sympathy of all in the sudden cutting off a promising son. The funeral was held on Monday morning. High mass being celebrated by Rev. Fr. Howard at St. Joseph Church.




Harbour Main, July 7-
there passed peacefully away at Harbour  Main on July 7th an old and respected resident in the person of Stephen Doyle at the ripe age of 81 years; he was one of the old stock of fishermen, who like the white wings are fast passing away. In his younger days he followed the fishery with his father at that time to the westward and the Labrador which he followed for years. Retiring from fishing he took up carpenter work and built many a fine house, he was also a fine boat builder, and wheelwright. Left to mourn are two sisters, Mrs. P.E. Woodford, of Harbour main and Mrs. W. E. Delany, New Jersey, U. S. A. and one son, Denis with whom he resided. R. I. P.

It is a sad duty to record the death of a young man in the person of Aloysius Foley, at the early age of twenty-seven years. During the winter his health began to fail, and through with careful nursing and unceasing care he rallied for a time, but his frail constitution was unable to withstand the disease and he passed away on June 30th, fortified by the rites of Holy church from a world of miseries to enter that glorious kingdom where care and sorrow are unknown. As we live so shall we die.  This saying was truly verified in Aloysius Foley's death, for it was peaceful and tranquil as his life. On Tuesday evening the funeral knell sent out its mournful peel over our little settlement and the funeral cortege could be seen wending it way slowly down the hillside to the church of the Sacred Heart. The officers and members of the Holy Name Society, of which the deceased was a member, paid a last tribute of respect by attending the obsequies in processional order. After the Rosary of the Blessed Virgin had been recited in the church for the repose of his soul, the body was conveyed to the little wayside cemetery, when all that was mortal of the young man was consigned to mother earth. He leaves to mourn a loving mother and one brother, James, to whom the writer wishes to extend his sincere sympathy, and trust that time which is the great healer of sorrow will soothe the heartache, which the loss of an unselfish and loving brother can cause.
May his soul rest in peace.



Swimming Accident at Ocean Pond Takes Life of Dorothy Winter, of Clarke's Beach-
Angela Hayes, Barely Dragged Backed From Grave, and Her Sister are Rescued.

In a heroic attempt to render assistance to two companions Miss Dorothy Winters, daughter of Mr. William Winter, of Clarke's Beach, lost her life yesterday at Ocean Pond by drowning, and Miss Angela Hayes and her sister were barely resuscitated after their rescue. Sunday last Miss Winter, Misses Hayes (2) of Cupids, Miss Culleton of Bay Roberts and a companion went to Ocean Pond and intended to camp there for a few weeks. Immediately after dinner yesterday afternoon about 3 o'clock, the Misses Hayes, who are daughters of Mr. John Hayes, of Cupids, donned their bathing suits and went into the pond for a swim, whilst Miss Winter sat on the bank fully clothed. After a short time Miss Winter noticed that the swimmers were in difficulties and were sinking. She grabbed a stick and started to walk out to them holding the stick out in front of her so they could grab it. Suddenly she stepped into an overfall and not being able to swim sank, and did not rise again. An immediate outcry was raised but it took some little time before those within hearing distance realized that a tragedy was imminent. Finally someone ran to a couple of shacks which were occupied by Messrs. Mugford and Ivany, who rushed into the water and rescued both the Hayes girls who were then just under the water. The two half drowned girls were taken into the shacks of Messrs. Mugford and Noseworthy, and first aid was immediately started. The same two men who rescued these girls then started for a boat which they manned and came back to the spot where Miss Winter had sunk. The body was recovered from the bottom and brought to the same shacks are the other two girls. Mr. J. W. Dawe, who has a summer cottage also at this pond, got into his car and when ho got to Mackinson's where the first telephone was, telephoned for doctors. Dr. Pritchard of Bay Roberts started for the scene about 4 o'clock. Dr. Stentaford of Carbonear, who was picnicing in the vicinity was informed and he arrived about 3.30. Dr Cowperthwaite, who was also in the vicinity, arrived a little later.

As results of nearly four hours strenuous work it was found that it was impossible to resuscitate Miss Winter, but both Miss Angela Hayes the older sister, and the younger sister, were brought around. Dr. Pritchard on enquiry from the Daily News said that at 11 p.m. yesterday Miss Angela Hayes was still in a very serious condition, but that the younger sister was on the road to complete recovery. Because of the serious condition of the elder sister both sister remained at Ocean Pond. Before 1 a.m. to-day from the name source it was learned that Miss Hayes had just regained consciousness and that there was every hope of her recovery.
All the summer visitors at Ocean Pond did everything in their power to render assistance and from a visitor from the city it was learned that Mrs. Meyers did a yeoman service. In connection with this sad occurrence it was emphasized that the two swimmers had entered the water almost immediately after partaking of a substantial meal
You suffered much you murmured not
We Watched you day by day.
Until the last with broken hearts
We saw you pass away.
(Inserted by Fathe , mother, brothers and sisters)

MORGAN-In loving memory of Kenneth Morgan who died December 4th, at Montreal where he had been living for eight years. After he had been married about two years, both himself and his wife were obliged to go to the mountains. After they had been there about two years, his wife died and two years after he died, aged 36 years. He leaves to mourn two children in Montreal, one sister in Toronto, father, mother, and brother at Salmon Cove District., Carbonear.
A precious one from us is gone
A Voice we loved is stilled
A place is vacant in our home
That never can be filled.




Mary Anne Dillon
After suffering for a number of years but ever bearing her trials with resignation to the Divine Will, the soul of Mrs. Mary Anne Dillon passed within the veil shortly after six o'clock on Saturday evening. For well nigh a quarter of a century deceased had been confined to the portals of her home due to an ailment which made it very difficult for her to move about and for the past five years she had been confined to her bed. Despite this long illness, it was not until the past week or so that it was seen that the end was near and on Friday she received the last rites of Holy Catholic Church, of which she has been a faithful member. During her eighty-five years of life the late Mrs. Dillon had performed many acts of kindness and charity and her death, peaceful and happy as it was, was befitting the life she had led.  Her husband, the late Peter Dillon, for several years caretaker of the Mechanic's Building predeceased her a few years ago. The funeral to Belvedere Cemetery, will take place from her late residence, Prospect Street, this afternoon at 2.30




DILLON-Passed peacefully away Saturday, August 2nd, after a long illness Mary Anne Wilkenson, relict of the late Peter Dillon (tinsmith), leaving to mourn 4 nieces and 2 nephews. Funeral today Monday, at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence 5 Prospect Street. Friend will please accept this intimation.


The Hon. Edward and Mrs. Sinnott, of Parkside, Rennie's Mill Rd., announce the marriage on Saturday, August 2nd, 1930, of (Mrs) Claudia Burke-Chaplin to William Piercey.




FORD-Died suddenly, William Ford, porter Newfoundland Government Railway. Funeral notice later.

THOMAS-Died on August 7th after a short illness, Jessie E., beloved daughter of Virtue and the late Matthew Thomas. Funeral on Sunday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence 69 Freshwater Road.
(Boston and Halifax papers please copy)

WHITTEN-Passed peacefully away at 2 p.m. Thursday, after a short illness, Henry, son of the late Anna and captain William Whitten, aged 76 years, leaving to mourn their sad loss four sisters, two brothers, one daughter, two sons and six grandchildren, Funeral Saturday, at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence, 66 Hayward Ave. R. I. P. Boston papers please copy




Miss Elizabeth Healey
With very much regret will it be learned by her friends here and others places, that yesterday afternoon Miss Elizabeth Healey passed within the veil at her parent's residence, South-Side Road. Deceased who had only reached her twenty-second birthday was ill a comparatively short time. Last year she left here on a visit to relatives in Boston and whilst in the States she received the best medical attention it was possible to get; she was in several hospitals but all to no avail. Some little time ago she returned home and never since left her bed. The late Miss Healey was well and favorably known in the city. For five years she was an employee of Smallwood's shoe store where as a saleslady she made many friends by her courteous manner whilst gaining the confidence and esteem of her employers by her conscientious attention to duty at all times. In private life she was very popular with those who knew her and her passing will be sincerely mourned by her friends and acquaintances. Left to mourn her early passing are her father (Mr. Matthew Healey), and mother and one brother, Mr. Joseph Healey of the Government Analyst's office. The funeral takes place from her late residence 351 Southside Road, tomorrow afternoon at 2.30.




There passed peacefully away this morning after an illness of short duration, one of the best known fishermen of Petty Harbour in the person of John Stack. John Stack was born at that place 68 years ago, the son of the late James Stack, and prosecuted the fishery there up to the present season from the time he was first able to take his place in a boat. He was very successful at his business, but always took the rough and the smooth in the clam quite manner that was one of his marked characteristics. It could be said of him that he was everybody's friend, always willing to do a good turn to a neighbor, and help others along. He was of charitable and peaceable disposition and all those who knew him held him in the highest respect. His wife, Lydia (Howlett) died in 1914, and he leaves to mourn the following children, James Edward, Joseph Ellen and Mary (Murphy) of Petty Harbour, and Mrs. Jane Brothers of Boston, Mass., besides twelve grandchildren. He died fortified by the rites of the Catholic Church of which hers has always been devoted son. His family and many friends will receive the sympathy of all who knew him. The funeral will take place on Friday morning after requiem Mass at the parish Church, Petty Harbour.




O'FLAHERTY-On September 11th, Elizabeth, relict of the late James O'Flaherty, leaving one daughter, Mrs. George McGuire to mourn. Funeral today Saturday from her late residence 31 Military Road.

BARTON-At General Hospital Sept. 11th, James Barton of the Goulds, aged 33 years,, leaving to mourn a wife and one daughter, mother, two brothers and four sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral 10 a.m. Saturday.
Scared heart of Jesus have Mercy on his soul.



Woman Crushed Between Cousin's Truck and Light Pole - Rushed to Hospital for Amputation Saturday Night.
Mrs. Feehan
of Colonial Street, is now lying at the General Hospital, having had to have her left leg amputated as a result of an accident when the victim was wedged between a motor van owned by Cousins, Limited, and an electric pole at the corner of King's Road and Prospect Street. Just after 9 o'clock Mrs. Feehan and her sister, were returning home after being down town and going up King's Road, passing Prospect St., the van driven by Walter Long, and in which Frank Norris, Hubert Green and Walter Kennedy, also were going down King's road to turn into Prospect Street. According to the story told to the police the driver of the truck in trying to avoid hitting a man who was passing swerved the truck. As he did so he saw the two women who immediately separated. The driver stated that he attempted to turn the truck into Prospect Street but instead it continued to the corner where there is an electric light pole and Mrs. Feeham was caught between it and the car. Broken glass from the headlight was found in the street afterwards.
Mrs. Feehan was rushed to Dr. Donahue's surgery nearby, who pronounced compound fracture of the leg and ordered her removal to the hospital immediately. She was taken there in Mr. Cyril Cahill's car driven by Hubert Green, a passenger in Cousins van. Amputation of the leg was found necessary and the operation was performed soon afterwards. On enquiry at the hospital this morning it was learned that Mrs. is doing well as could be expected under the circumstances.
It being reported to the police that the regular driver, Frank Morris, was not driving the van at the time, but that Walter Long, who did not possess a driver's licence, was at the wheel, all four occupants were called to the police station yesterday and their statements were taken. The pathetic part of the matter is that Mrs. Feehan is the sole support of a large family, the eldest of whom is fourteen and the accident may be the loss of her ability to support them as she had been so bravely doing a part from the actual injury and inconvenience caused.




HANNAFORD-Passed peacefully way after a very brief illness, Richard Hannaford, aged 67 years, leaving a wife, three sons and six daughters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral takes place on Sunday at 2.30. p.m. from his late residence the Goulds.-R.I.P.



Prompt Action Of Capt. Hounsell Rescued George Rogers of Greenspond- When he Misjudges Distance and falls Over Wharf.
Climbing down the anchor chain of the schooner Kathleen moored at Barr's wharf, Capt. Hounsell on Saturday night rescued George Rogers of Greenspond from a watery grave. On Saturday about 9.30 p.m. George Rogers, of Greenspond, a member of the crew of the schooner Kathleen, Captain Waterman, owned by Arthur Parsons of Carbonear, fell into the water of Barr's Cove, and thought the prompt action of Captain Hounsell suffered nothing but a wet skin.
Mrs. Rogers had walked out on Barr's wharf to where his schooner is lying and stretched out his hand to grasp the rigging. The wharf was in comparative darkness and the schooner was a little further away than he estimated. Overbalancing he fell into the water, grazing his head on the side of the vessel. Captain Hounsell, who was on board, heard the splash and rushing up on deck saw a man in the water. The Captain climbed down the anchor chain and caught Rogers by the hair of the head, holding him till men in a dory rowed to the spot and relived him of his burden. Dr. Jamieson who was telephoned for, arrived shortly afterwards. After a short time the doctor pronounced the victim of immersion all right.



Returning from Petty Harbour at Midnight Lloyd Viguers of the Goulds Road alone in Whippet Sedan, drowned when Car Smashes Through Guard Rail and into Deep Water Above Dam.

About midnight a Whippet Sedan car owned and driven by Lloyd Viguers of Goulds Road left the road at the Power Dam in the ravine above Petty Harbour  and shot over the bank into water about eight feet deep smashing through the guard rail carrying its only occupant with it to death.
Inspector General Hutchings was notified about 12.30 o'clock and immediately despatched Sergeant Nugent and four policemen in the police car with ropes, lanterns, etc. Mr. J. W. Morris, superintendent of the Nfld Light and Power Company was notified, and after making connections with the power house at Petty Harbour learned that all the men in the neighborhood had gone to the scene, but beyond the fact that a car had gone over the road into the water above the dam and that its tail light was still shining could give no information.
A representative of the Daily News accompanied Mr. Morris to scene of the accident about 3 a.m. and describes what happened.
On arrival at the scene of the tragedy it was seen what had happened. A motor car apparently skidded off the road at a point near the main dam of the Light & Power Co. and running down a steep bank had brought up in about eight feet of water. The car had been dragged up on the bank and the body of the victim taken into the gate house and reverently lain on the floor. Rev. Mr. Severn, incumbent of Petty Harbour who had been ----- and after a visit to the ------his father Mr. William Viguers who is employed at the Lunatic Asylum.
From Mr. Thomas Witten keeper of the Post Office at Petty Harbour, from Mr. John Halley, superintendent of the Power Station, and from Sergeant Nugent of the Newfoundland Constabulary, the following meager facts were secured.
The police arrived at the scene about 1.40 a.m. and the body was taken out of the car at 2.20 a.m. The bank of the river was fenced and the car went through this fence running over a couple of large stones and dived into the water. It was found by the police when the car was a little bit pulled out of the water that the car was in second gear, and they had to kick it out of gear.
About midnight Frank Crocker, son of the waterman of the Light and Power Company, was passing the gate house on foot and saw in the water a tail-light of a motor car and the headlights of the same car shining up through the water. When Mr. Crocker saw this car he went over the bank where the rail was gone, shouted several times and receiving no answer walked down to Whitten's who telephone to the Inspector General of constabulary about 12.30 a.m.
Before the police arrived very little could be done but many of the residents of Petty Harbour immediately went to the scene. When the police arrived with lanterns, ropes etc. They found that a boat was necessary and one was secured. Police constable Mahoney and Brocklehurst got out broke the window in the rear of the car and the left rear window. The body was taken out over the front seat and through the back window. Dr. Short arrived about 3.30 a.m. and made an examination of the body. he found a bruise on the lower part of the chest and water in the lungs.





1       His Excellency the Governor and Lady Middleton "At Home" His Lordship White "At home"
Y.M. and Y. W. C. A. "At Home"
Rev. Mark Guy Pearce 88, dead.

2       Leeming L.O.A. installation
New City Council holds first meeting
Guards A. A. entertain St. Franceos Xavier hookeyists
Crew of Catherine B., who had been rescued in mid-ocean by S. S. Holfplein return home

4       Quarterly Meeting Nonia.
Second Conference on war debt problems opened in the Hague.

Annual Meeting Royal Stores Hockey Team.
Mr. R. J. Murphy addresses Rotary on Burin Peninsula Electric Development

5       Judge Higgins addresses Holy Cross Literary Association on the "Stern Reality."

6        President Paton lectures on "Scott of the South Pole" at Memorial College.
Toc H. Annual Meeting

7        Quebec Legislature opens.
Harvey & Company staff attend dinner in honor of Sir Joseph Outerbridge 87th birthday.
Home of Mr. Albert Feeman, Waterford Bridge Road completely destroyed by fire.
Commercial Travellers' Annual meeting.

8        Royal Oak L.O. A., installation
Bishop Spencer pupils repeat operetta "Mayday in Welleday".
Crown Prince Humber of Italy and Princess Maria Jose of Belgium married in Rome

9        Holy Cross reading circle opens.
McDonald Fellowship club entertain 50 city children.
M. C. L. I. opens 63rd annual season.

11        Terra Nova defeats Guards 10 to 5 in opening Hockey game.

12        Miss Norris addresses Old Colony Club on Newfoundland Chief Justice.
Parker & Monroe Hockey Association Annual Meeting.
Dr. L. E. Keegan decorated by French Council with the Balmes Academiques, awarded by the French Government of service rendered the French cause.
Annual Meeting Grand Lodge Sons of Temperance, Burin.

13        Arthur English addresses Patrelans on "Patriotism"
Pope Pius XI issued an encyclical condemning co-education.
Officially announced Municipal Council had deficit of $97,739.37 at the end of year.
Ayre & Sons hockeyists Annual Meeting.
St. Bon's defeats Fieldians 11 to 2.
Customs A. A. Hockey Club Annual Meeting.

14        Installation officers Lodge Dudley S. O. E.
United States and Lativia signed a treaty of arbitration and conciliation.
Annual meeting Newfoundland Poultry Association.

15        William A Thompson manager Boot and Shoe Co., rounds off 50th year in Company employ.
Electric light turned on at Grand Bank and Fortune.
Terra Nova defeats Feildians 3 to 5
Bricklayers Annual Meeting

16         Schooner Neptune, Capt. Job Barbour, which left St. john's November 29th reaches Tobermory, Scotland. All Well.
Jock McKay amuses rotary with some humorous stories.
C. E. Hunt K.C. lectures to Newfoundland Light & Power Company employees Association
Rev. Canon Peile lectures on Singapore in aid of W. M. S.

17       Guards defeat St. Bon's 6 to 5

18        Mr. J. L. Paton addresses Old Colony Club on Captain Scott.
Sir William Coaker and Hon. F. J. Cashin leaves for abroad.

19        Mr. T. H. O'Neil addresses Patricans
Dwelling and barn of Selby Gosse, Tilton totally destroyed by fire.

20        Nineteen Nations signed the Young plan to liquidate war.
St. Bon's defeat Terra Novas 7 to 3

21        Naval conference opened at London by His majesty the King, whose speech was broadcast.
Annual meeting Spencer club.
Halifax by-election returns Rhodes candidate thus assuring stability of Government.
Empire Lodge S. O. E. celebrates silver Jubilee
Mr. and Mrs. John Leamon present new organ to Gower Street United Church
labour government Bill to extend dole defeated in Lords.

22       Estate of T. P. O'Connor announced to be only $1500.
Annual reunion Royal Stores held.
Hon. S. Milley on behalf of the Directors of the Newfound Boot and Shoe Co. makes presentation to six employees who had spent 50 years in the sevice and one 48 years. They were W. Mahony, M. Emsley, A. Ralford, E. G. Huntr, W. Codner, C Lang and M. Nolan.
Sealed envelopes, containing name of the late Bramwell Booth's nominee as his successor burned unopened.
Feildeans defeat Guards 9 to 2

23        Delegates of five power Navel conference make official statements of their country's naval requirements,
Annual Meeting G. W. V. A. Lieut-Col. Paterson re-elected President.
Mr. Varick Friswell address Rotarians and shows pictures of Labrador.
Entertainment at Aula Maxinn.
St. Bon's, in aid South Coast Disaster Fund.
Home of Thomas Norman, Bay Roberts, completely destroyed by fire.
Slob ice makes first appearance in Conception Bay.
20 Albanians killed in insurrection against King Zogu.
Codfish reported plentiful on West Coast. 100 Quintals landed at Rose Blanche.
Clarence Hatry charged with extensive forgery and fraud sentenced to 14 years penal servitude in London.
Capt. Max Barbour, S. S. Glencoe, entertained at dinner at the Crosbie.
Sir Richard Squires leaves for abroad.

24        Terra Nova defeats Guards 11 to 3

27        Restored communications reveal that nearly all of the 7,000 inhabitants of the Turkish village of Adiyaman are blind from Trachoma.
Board of Trade holds 21st Annual Meeting, G. R. Williams elected President.
Annual Meeting of Child Welfare Association.
Feildians defeat St. Bon's 5 to 4
Harold Hayward wins G. W. V. A. Curling Trophy.

28        Primo de Rivera premier and dictator of Spain resigned under compulsion and was succeeded by Gen. Damaso Berenguer.

29        Owing to ice conditions International Power & Paper Co. begin shipping paper via Port Aux Basque.

30        M. C. L. I. spends enjoyable night with Mr. J. A. Cocharane in the College laboratory, LeMarchant Road.
Ea-Gi Class, Gower St. United Church , entertains children of orphanage.
Rotarian Jim Ayre addresses club on "Cotton".
Terra Nova defeats Feildians, 5 to 4.
Annual Meeting ST. Andrew's Society.
Schooner Tyrinnes destroyed by fire at Harbour la Cou.

31       First big snow storm for winter.



Page Contributed by: Chris Shelley
Transcribed by John Baird

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday December 03, 2014)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]