Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Daily News
1929 Part 2


Thursday August 8 1929



Baird - Milling
Tuesday afternoon at three o'clock a wedding marked with a note of beautiful simplicity took place in St. Andrews Church, with the decorations and the wedding entourage a line of soft unbroken white. The bride was Miss Dorothy Baird, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. David Baird, of Gateacre, Rennie's Mill Road; and the groom, Mr. Henry Milling, of Frankwood, Stockland Heath, Lancashire. Mr Wardell was at the organ, with the St. Andrew's choir in attendance and as the bride entered the church on the arm of her father, Mr. Wardell played Wagner's bridal march which was followed by the hymn, "The voice that breathed o'er Eden."
The bride was gowned in a Lanvin model of pale cream glimmering satin with long tight sleeves and bodice, from which fell a flared skirt, inlet with minute strips of diagonal net, and a falling in the back to form a full round train. Over all the covering the face fell a net veil bound simply to the head with a band of silver pailette encrusted with crystals and diamantine, and the bridal bouquet was a cluster of forget-me-nots and lily of the valley
Holding the bride's train were two little pages, the Master Monroe and Hugh Baird who followed the Gains borough style in white satin suits with the flowering collar and graceful cuffs of the period. Then came six small bridesmaids; the Misses Ann Emerson, Joan Knowling, Margaret MacNeb, Gwyneth Winter, Louise Reid and Janet Ayre, whose quaint dresses were identical, and fashioned of ivory satin falling softly to the ground from shirred yokes, and on their heads they wore dainty caps of silver lace, and carried ivory prayer books, from which hung white moire bookmarks, each decorated with a small orange and clusters of blossom.
The groom was attended by Mr. Makinson Baird, brother of the Bride and the ceremony was performed by the Rev. R. J. Power. During the signing of the register two solos were sung by Mrs. Janes, "Wings", by Guy d'Hardelot, and Schuman's lovely setting of "Thou are like a lovely flower."
After the ceremony the wedding party and guest were received at "Gateacre," Rennie's Mill road by Mr. and Mrs. Baird, the latter being beautifully gowned in beige lace, with a picture hat of silver and two-tone velvet. The ushers were Mr. Avalon Goodridge and Mr. David Baird, Jr., Mr. Edgar Bowring, Mr. Campbell and Mr. Bert Ellis.
After congratulations and toasts the bride and groom left by the express for the West coast, the bride wearing a lanvin "tailleur" subtly modeled on exquisite lines of navy and delicate pastel blue with hat and bag woven of the same material. The brides gifts were a beautiful collection of great variety, but outstanding among these was the magnificent presentation from the employees of James Baird, Ltd., made on Sunday last, by a small deputation from the firm and presented by Mr. Thomas O'Mara. This was a pair of cut silver flower baskets, simply and lovely in design and of exquisite workmanship.
The Daily News joins with the many friends of Mr. and Mrs. Milling in wishing them many years of happiness.


Tuesday August 13 1929


Wedding Bells

Shortall - Peyton
A very pretty wedding was solemnized at eleven o'clock yesterday morning at the Oratory of the Sacred Heart Convent of Mercy, when Mr. Fred Shortall, son of Mr. W. P. Shortall, led to the altar Miss Alice L Peyton, daughter of J. A. S. and Mrs Peyton, Twillingate, Rev. Fr. Pippy, P. P., of St. Joseph's Church, an intimate fried of the family, performed the ceremony. The bride gowned in robin egg blue crepe back satin, with stocking and shoes to match and black picture hat, carried a beautiful bouquet of carnations, sweet peas and maidenhair fern. She was attended by Miss Mary Shortall, sister of the groom and Miss Marguerite Jackman, both of whom were charmingly gowned in mauve, crepe back satin hats and bouquets of carnations, sweet peas and maidenhair fern.
The groom was supported by Mr. Edward J Vitch and Mr. William J Shortall, his brother. The wedding was witnessed by a large number of friends of the bride and groom. After the ceremony a reception was held at the residence of the groom's father, No 141 Gower Street when the costmary toasts were honored. The bride who is a popular graduate of the general Hospital nursing staff, was tendered congratulations by Miss Taylor and a number of graduates who were present in uniform. Appropriate speeches marked the occasion and a number of congratulatory messages were read. The spacious room in which the reception was held presented a pleasing appearance banner of white ribbon running to the large bell in the center from which from which hung a dove, horseshoe, and an old shoe.
At noon hour the happy couple, followed by many friends left for Beach Groves Hostelry, Spaniard's Bay, from whence the honeymoon will commence, consisting of an extended motor tour of Conception Bays. The wedding presents which included a silver service from the doctors and nurses at the General Hospital was a splendid tribute to the esteem in which the bride was held by the physicians and her co-workers of the institution.  A silver and glass pyres dish from the groom's employees was also among the large number.
Mr. And Mrs. Shortall enjoy the popularity of a large association of friends and it was their wish that the journey over the matrimonial seas may be one of unlimited happiness. Upon their return to town Mr. and Mrs. Shortall will reside at 10 Beaumont Street East.


Surrounded by all her family death came at an early hour this morning to Margaret Hogan, wife of John Casey, Esq., Stipendiary Magistrate of Harbour Grace the deceased had been ill for a number of years and for the past year it was seen that there was no hope of recovery. During the war she was the president of the W. P. A. At Harbour Grace, and always had been prominent in church affairs. She leaves to mourn besides her husband two sons, Rev. W. H. Casey, P. P., of Fortune Harbour and John P. of Corner Brook and six daughters, Mrs. R. K. Kennedy and Mrs. J. G. Higgins of St. John's, Mrs. H. J. Dunn of Harbour Grace. Miss Mary and Francis of Montreal and at present at home Miss. Carmel, who nursed her during her long illness. The funeral takes place at Harbour Grace to-morrow morning at 10 o'clock.


Thursday August 15 1929


The death of Mr. Charles Chafe occurred this morning at his residence, Prospect Street. The deceased who had reached the advance age of eighty years was a man whom to know was to respect. A descendant of that grand old west of England stock he upheld the best traditions of his race, the Chafes of Petty Harbour. Capable, homes and trustworthy in his youth and early manhood the deceased followed his natural calling, the fisheries, cod and sealing and the whole of it with all their usual dangers and privation. Later on in life he acted as agent of one of our principle St John's firms at Codroy for many years. When business change necessitated his return to St. John's he secured a position as caretaker of the British hall which he held until taken over as the Spencer College when he was considered too old for the position. Since that time with the help of his good wife, he maintained his life's record of independence and honesty. Intelligent and with a knowledge gained from life times experience, to be intimate with him was an education. To his wife and relatives every sympathy is extended.
May eternal youth be his portion.- G. E. P.


Monday August 19 1929

The news has reached the city of the passing of Mrs. Jane Champion at her daughter's residence, Job's Cove, Bay de Verde, on the 10th at the age of 77 years, deceased had been ailing for some time and while the end was not unexpected it came with great sadness to a large family. Mrs. Champion was survived by three sons, Gilbert and William at Montreal, and John at Lower Island Cove; two daughters, Mts. William Halliday of Job's Cove, and Mrs. Kenneth Garland, of this city, as well as twenty-six grandchildren and five great-grandchildren.


Saturday August 24 1929


Jobs Cove, August 18th -
Death came under very sad circumstances to John English, aged 51, of Job's cove, Bay de Verde, on July 31st at the General Hospital, St. John's, where he had been undergoing treatment for a sore hand for just one week. He cut his hand and thinking it was nothing to trouble about he continued at his work fishing when it got so bad he had to call his doctor, McLean, to attend to it, who ordered him on to hospital as blood poison had set in. His death was a severe blow to his wife and children as they were expecting new of him getting better when the shock came so suddenly. His body was brought home on August 1st, and buried in the R. C. cemetery at Norther Bay on August 2nd, by the Rev. Father Hogan, he leaves to mourn his wife, one daughter and three sons, two brothers and two sisters, and one aged uncle and aunt, also a large circle of relatives and friends. He was always of a cheerful disposition and his loss will be a severs blow to his family.
May his soul rest in peace.

Passed away suddenly at Job's Cove, B. D. V., on August 4th, Edward Colbert, at the age of 63 years. He leaves to mourn his loss one daughter Mary at home and two daughters in Brooklyn N.Y. He wasn't feeling good but never complained and continued at his work as usual and was very busy stowing away a load of hay he had cut and made when ***** missing


Monday August 26 1929

J. J. Carroll of Holyrood Has Narrow Escape From Drowning When Squid laden Truck Backs Over Wharf
Mr. J. J. Carroll
, business man at Holyrood, had a miraculous escape from death early on Saturday morning when he climbed from the submerged cab of his Chevrolet truck which accidently backed over the public wharf at Holyrood into 25 feet of water. The truck was laden with about 7,000 squid for delivery to dories of bankers anchored in the harbour. In some, as yet unexplained, way Mr. Carroll reversed the truck too quickly and the machine shot over the head of the wharf where the water is about 25 feet deep. It landed upright on the bottom on its four wheels, with Carroll imprisoned in the cab. A man named Williams is a boat close by saw Carroll pull down the cab window underneath the water and thrust down an oar which the submerged man grabbed and he was safely drawn up into the boat, minus one of his long rubbers which caught to the gear shift.
Mr. Ern Churchill acting for the insurance company instructed the captain of the Heligoland, a banker lying at Hoyrood to carlyage the truck. This was done by passing ropes under the front bumper and rear springs shackles, and by forming dories into a position the truck was gradually raised from the bottom and worked into shallow water whence it was pulled up high and dry.


Wednesday September 3 1929


Mount Carmel, Salmonier, Sept. 1-On Sunday evening, August 25th there passed away suddenly away on board the trawler Edith Rose, on Georges Banks, Lance corporal Frank Fowler, of the First Newfoundland Regiment. His remains arrived home on Thursday, August 29th, and were buried the following day, following Requiem Mass. Thus there passed away another of the Blue Puttee boys. On September 2nd 1914, while banking with the late Capt. Lewis, he enlisted and was with the regiment through its training camps and engagements till the blue Puttee return home on furlough. It was while serving with the regiment at the battle of Ypres that he was gassed from which effects he never recovered that cause his death, on the Georges, far away from where he heard bullets whizz and the cannon roar. Although his burial was simple, unattended by any military honour, yet the record of his achievements of those trying day must always stand for it. He is survived by a widow and two children three brothers, one of which accompanied the remains home.
May he rest in peace.


Monday September 16 1929

Ten Year Old Lad Jumps A Motor Can On the Rear End, But Falls off Suffering Some Cuts And Abrasions

Endervouring to steal a ride from a passing motor car, James Baird aged ten years, of Codner's lane, fell from the vehicle yesterday afternoon and received some nasty cuts about the head and face. He was found on the road by two young ladies who were passing, and who reported the matter to the police, following which Dr. Anderson was called, and after attending the lads injuries pronounced them not serious and sent him home. From an investigation made by Sergeant Keefe it was found that the boy with two companions was walking on the Waterford Bridge Road and told them he was going to get a ride on a motor car. Shortly afterwards a car passed along and the other two saw him run after the car and climb on the spare tire strapped on the rear when he waved his hand as he passed along. Apparently some distance farther on he fell off the car, the occupants of which were not aware the he was on it.

Victim of Unaccounted For Accident Loss Lot of Blood and Has To Be Rushed to Hospital From Police Station.
Phillip Power
, of Notre Dame St., had a narrow escape from bleeding to death yesterday morning when he cut an artery in his arm and he is now at the General Hospital as a result of his injuries. The man in some manner drove his hand through a pane of glass which severely cut him and he was taken to the police station where first aid was rendered. On the way to the station he bled profusely, and when Dr. Anderson who was called and arrived at the station he found power in a very weak state from loss of blood. He was ordered to hospital where he was taken with all speed, but became unconscious on the way and when taken into the institution and did not gain his faculties until some hours later. He is still weak but is doing as well as can be expected.


Wednesday September 18 1929

William Walsh Climbing On Boiler Slips And is Crushed Under Sloven
Laden with Heavy Machinery

Climbing from the sloven on which he was standing in an attempt to get on top of a boiler being hauled to Salmonier yesterday morning, Wm. Walsh, aged 22, of Salmonier, unmarried, slipped and fell under the wheels of the heavy laden vehicle the wheels passing over the centre of his body causing almost instant death. A steam boiler for R. Cranfords's mill at Salmonier was being moved from St. John's to Salmonier. On Saturday it got stuck at Holyrood owing to a mix up with telegraph wires, and hauling was abandoned temporarily. Tuesday morning by means of a "purchase" it was hauled up over the hill and them the sloven, in tow of a tractor, started on its way to Salmonier. The road was soft in places, and the builder on the sloven rocked perilously at times. Walsh and some others were sitting on the sloven and he declared "this thing is going to turn over in a few minute." Suiting action to the words he started to climb up on the boiler when he missed his footing, slipped and fell immediately in from of the rear wheel. Before be movement could be made to stop or get him out of his predicament the wheel passed over his body crushing out his life. Dr. Soper and Rev. Father Dwyer were hastily summoned, but medical aid was unavailable and the Priest gave last rites of the church. The body was moved to the court house where Magistrate Hawco held a magisterial enquire in the afternoon when several witnesses were examined after which the body was coffined by the undertaker for burial at Salmonier. The late William Walsh was son of James Walsh, well known as mail courier at Salmonier.

The Whole World Apprised Of Fact
Charlottetown, Sept. 17-(CP) - For the first time Newfoundland is represented at a convention of the Canadian Good Roads Association in the person of R. Hibbs, Minister of Public Works.


Thursday September 19 1929

James Butler Dies Instantly though Head coming in Contact With telephone Pole, As He Looks Out Truck Doorway
While projecting his head through the door space of a motor truck on which he was a passenger coming out the Bay Bulls road, James Butler of Gear Street, was struck and instantly killed by coming in contact with a telephone pole, the force of the concussion smashing the frontal bone, and scattering the brains about the stick. The tragic accident occurred about 11 o'clock last night, and as a result Philip LeMessurier, manager of the Brookfield Ice Cream Company, who was driving the truck, is now detained at the police station. It appears that the Brookfield truck, which was driven by Philip LeMessurier, and in the seat of which were a man named parson, next to the driver, and the deceased on the right inside, was coming out the Bay Bulls Road. A motor car was ssen coming out the Old Petty Harbour Road and in trying to avoid a collision the truck went into the ditch on the right hand side of the road and ploughed along it for a short distance. Mr. Butler must have either put his head out to see where they were going or attempted to jump out, and in doing so received injuries by contact with the pole that resulted in instant death. A telephone message was sent to Superintendent O'Neill, who with District Inspector Byrne and Detective Sergeant Lee, immediately left for the scene of the tragedy. Within five minutes of the accident Doctors Roberts and Moore, who happened to be passing looked after the injured man and pronounced life extinct. Dr. Knight and Dr. Anderson were on the scene very shortly afterwards. On the arrival of Superintendent O'Neill the police took charge of the truck and remained on the scene for the night. Sergeant Lee took Philip LeMessurier in custody and brought him to the police station where he is still detained. Br. Butler father who is an assistant at the Lunatic Asylum was notified of the death of his son by Rev .Edwin Moore, and the sad duty of breaking the news to the wife and mother fell to Rev. Father O'Mara.

Derailment of Freight Train Delays Overland Express
An engine and four cars of a  freight train left the rail at 10 o'clock yesterday morning at a point between St. George's and Stephenville Crossing. The mess was not cleaned up until six o'clock in the evening. The Overland Limited was late leaving Port au Bosques, departure being at 8.30 a.m. in consequence the delay about 4 to 5 hours, and the train is due at 2 p.m. today five hours behind schedule.


Wednesday October 9 1929

John J Penney, Well Known About town, Is Victim of Fatal Accident Last Afternoon Following Accidental Fall Over Wharf
Use of Pulmotor fail to restore respiration

Shortly before five o'clock yesterday afternoon, John J Penney of LeMarchant Road was accidently drowned when he fell over Bowring Bros. wharf, adjoining their north side premises. Within a few minutes of the accident the deceased was removed from the water, and brought into Bowring's store. Constable Cahill informed the fire department by telephone that the pulmotor was immediately required, but the receiver of the message at the fire hall evidently mistook the word Pulmotor for "pumper" because the who equipment of the department responded to the message. Dr. Conroy was summoned, and also Rev. Fr. O'Mara, who administered the last rites of the church. After an hour and a quarter using the Pulmotor and other means of restoring respiration Dr. Conroy declared that it was useless and that death had ensued. At 7 p.m. the remains were confined and taken by undertaker Carnell to the morgue, where a postmortem was conducted by Dr. Conroy at 8 p.m. The deceased leaves a wife, two sons, two daughters, two sisters and a brother to mourn. The funeral will take place to-morrow, Thursday, at 2.30 p.m. from the residence of his sister, Mrs. M Donovan, 27 Spencer street.


Thursday October 10 1929


Mrs. Theresa O'Neil
On Tuesday morning last, October 8th, at the Palace, Harbour Grace, the gentle soul of Mrs. Theresa O'Neil, an elect and pious gentlewoman in the presence of her dearest relative and with all the highest ministrations that her church could bestow, passed within the veil.
But when the sun in all his state
Illume the eastern skies,
She passed through glories morning gate,
And walked in Paradise
Just one week's illness was sufficient to sap the strength of the temporal body which housed a noble and gentle spirit as one ever met on this earthly sphere. Previous to the illness Mrs. O'Neill had spent some time in St. John's where she enjoyed the hospitality of relatives nd friends, thence returning to her home in Harbour Grace where at the Palace she has acted as host for her distinguished brother, His Lordship Bishop March ever since he was honored with his present high office. Mrs. O'Neill was the widow of the late Michael O'Neill of Bay de Verde of honoured and respected memory and since his death many years ago, has made her home as stated above with the Bishop at Harbour Grace. Born at Northern bay seventy-three years ago the deceased was the eldest daughter of the late Simeon and Cecily March highly respected ans esteemed citizen of that locality. Mrs. O'Neil leaves to mourn two brothers, Bishop March of Harbour Grace and Mrs. James March of Northern Bay and one sistrer, Mrs. Elizabeth O'Neil and a number of nieces and nephews. The funeral will take place at Bay de Verde town this afternoon where she will be tenderly laid beside her late husband there to await the last call of the resurrection morn.-R I P
None who e'er knew her can believe her dead;
though, should she die, they deem it well might be,
Her spirit took its everlasting flight,
In summer's glory, by the sunset sea,
That onward through the Golden gate is fled.

Ah, where that bright soul is cannot be night.
- R. W. Gilder


Electric at Bauline
Birthdays were strongly in evidence at the celebration at Bauline last evening to mark the turning on of the electric current for the first time by Mr. Isaac King. First it was the birthday of the 73rd electrically lighted settlement by the system of the United Towns Electric Company, next it was the birthday of the U. C. pastor, Rev. J W Winsor, and lastly it was Bauline's own birthday under modern lighting eystems, so everyone was jolly at the soiree prepared by the good ladies of the United Church congregation in the Orange Hall.
St. John's and pouch voce contributed its share of distinguished visitors to the gathering. There was the aged but still hale, upright and virille Rev. Dr. Bond, who was as a young man had his first charge in this circuit. He was accompanied by Dr. Macpherson. There was Mr. J M tobin the representative for the district of Ast. John's East (extern) of which Bauline formed part, and a group of friends, Mr. J. c. Puddester, representative for Bay de Verde from whence came originally most of the ancestors of Bauline residents, and his friends, and Mrssers, Grouchy and Easterbrook of pouch Cove and their respective wives.
The current was turned on shortly after seven o'clock by Mr. King. Shortly after the pastor arrived at the hall and the visitors were invited to participate in the good things provided by the ladies. Rev. Mr. Winsor presided and speeches were made by nearly all the visiting guests all congratulatory to the United Towns Electric Company and optimistic in tenor, Rev. Dr. Bond also recounting some of his experiences of fifty-five years ago when he was pastor of the circuit. At nine-thirty the speech making concluded and most of the visitors left, the rest of the evening being given over to dancing. A collection netted a very handsome sum for church purposes.


Monday October 14 1929

William and Clara Parsons Are Victims Of Fire Which Razed Parents Dwelling To Ground
William Parsons
, aged 3 years, and Clara Parsons, age 5, the two youngest children of Mr. and Mrs. Alfred parsons, of Carson Avenue, near the head of Pleasant Street, were burned to death early Saturday morning when the house they were living in was burned to the ground with all its contents. Mr. parsons left his home before seven o'clock for his work at Hickman's premises and shortly afterwards Mrs. Parsons went out to visit her mother-in-law who was ill and lives nearby. She took with her the oldest boy. Looking out of the window of her mother-in-law's house she saw smoke coming out of her own house and raised an alarm. Frederick Horwood and Robert Foley were first on the scene tired to get in through the door but the flames and smoke prevented them. In the meantime a phone message had been sent to the fire hall and also an alarm from box 316 on Mundy Pond Road. On arrival of the fire fighting apparatus 1,000 feet of hose were run out and water played on the flames but to late to prevent the house and content being totally destroyed. The two small children were brought out from the building both dead.

Supreme Court
SATURDAY (Before Chief Justice Horwood)
John S. Jenkins vs. the International fruit Company

This is an action for $1.317.63 for good sold and delivered. Mr. Cramm, K.C., for plaintiff; Mr. A O'D. Kelly for defendant. Judgment was entered for the defendant with cost.

(Before Mr. Justice Kent)
Thomas P. Kemp Plaintiff, and Patrick Brennan, Defendant
This is an action for $750 for good sold and delivered. Mr. Emerson, K.C. , for plaintiff. Mr. Fox K.C., for defendant. Argument in the matter was heard Saturday afternoon.

Tyre Rubber Co. vs. Fred Smallwood
This is an action for $3,600 for goods sold and delivered. The defense is that the goods were not as warranted. The evidence for plaintiff taken on commission was read. This closed the plaintiff's case. The evidence of Mr. Walter Smallwood was not completed when court took recess. Mr. Hunt, K.C. for plaintiff. Mr. F. A. Mrs for defendant.

Simeon Button Walks Nearly two miles with Limb Hanging In Shreds,
And Then Has to Be driven To Carbonear
Simeon Butt
of Lead cove, Trinity Bay, is now in the General hospital as the result of a sudden explosion of a single barreled gun which he was carrying. When the gun went off the whole charge of shot entered his left arm shattering it badly. Saturday morning he went in the country behind Lead Cove, partridge shooting, and when crossing Great Brook he slipped and fell on his back. The gun was jerked from his right shoulder to a position across his chest, and the trigger caught in his clothing, the pull exploding the gun. The charge entered his left arm. He was alone at this time, and when he was sufficiently recovered from the shock, walked about tone and a quarter miles to his home. Dr. Newhook of Old Perlican was away at the time, so the injured man had to be driven by car to Carbonear, where he was attended by Dr. Stentaford, who advised that he be taken to the General Hospital. At 10 o'clock on the same night he arrived at the hospital. He was in a very weak condition from loss of blood all Saturday night, but last night he had picked up considerably and was able to get some rest.


Tuesday October 15 1929


GARLAND - HARRIS-On October 2nd, at Gower Street United Church, by Rev. J,. G. Joyce, Stephen Garland, of St. John's, to Madge Harris, of Bonavista.


HOPKINS- At the Grace Maternity Hospital, on Sept. 26th, to Mr. and Mrs. W. Hopkins, a son.

MORGAN-At the Grace Maternity Hospital on Oct. 2nd., to Mr. and Mrs. Nathan Morgan, Coley's Point , a daughter.

BROWN-At the Grace Maternity Hospital on Oct. 3rf., to Ensign and Mrs. Brown, Hamilton Avenue, a son.

BREEN-At the Grace maternity Hospital on Oct. 3rd., to Mr. and Mrs. Patrick Breen, 10 Finn Street, a son

CRANE-At the Grace maternity Hospital on Oct. 6th., to Mr. and Mrs. W. Crane, Waterford bridge Road, a son

PRETTY- At the general Maternity Hospital on Oct. 7th., to Mr. and Mrs. Pretty, 41 McKay Street, a son.

TUCKER-At the Grace maternity Hospital on Oct. 10th., to Mr. and Mrs. Harold Tucker, St. Philips, a son.

SQUIRES-At the Grace Maternity Hospital on Oct. 10th., to Mr. and Mrs.  George Squires, 54 Charlton St. , twin daughters

WAKELY-At the Grace Maternity Hospital on Oct. 11th., to Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Wakely, 17 Victoria Street, a daughter.


Wednesday October 16 1929

Postmistress At Safe Harbour Charged With Miss Appropriation of Public Money, Is Acquitted and Discharged

The trial of Lilian Pomeroy charged with embezzlement (not perjury as inadvertently stated yesterday) was concluded at the Supreme Court last night when the jury after about ten minutes' deliberation, returned a verdict of not guilty, following which the accused was discharged. The accused was charged with the embezzlement of the sum $542.02 during the month of November 1928, at which time she was employed as postmistress at Safe Harbour, B. B. The trial was before Hon. Mr. Justice Higgins, with the following special jury sworn in: D. P. Duff, F. J. Cornick, J. W. Dewling, J. F. Wiseman, A. P. Cameron, H. S. Peet, Alex Morris, Chas. H. Brown, J. O'Brien, F. W. Knight, W. P. Pope, J. S. Currie. The Solicitor General Bradley K. C. , conducted the case for the crown and McNeilly K.C. and Mr. W. R. Kent for the accused. The hearing of evidence occupied all the forenoon and afternoon and concluded at 5.30 when recess was taken until after supper. At 7.30 court resumed when Mr. McNeilly began his address to the jury. He was followed by Mr. Bradley, after which Judge Higgins summed up. The jury retired at 9.10 and filed back at 9.20 reporting through their foremen, Mr. F. w. knight, that they had found the prisoner Not Guilty. Mr. McNeilly made motion for the discharge of the prisoner which was acceded to. Judge Higgins thanked the jury for their attention to the matter, following which they were discharged.

Perpetuating The Deeds Of Drake Plane From Montana will Be Christened "Golden Hind"

At Lester's Field, this afternoon a most interesting ceremony will take place when the aeroplane in which U. F. Ditman arrived here last week from Frederiction, will be christened. The plane will be named "golden Hind", after Sir Francis Drake's celebrated ship. Mr. Ditemen states that he is having the place christened here, in appreciation of the hospitally received by him since his visits elsewhere. For the ceremony the aeroplane will be covered with flowers. The ceremony will be performed by Miss Cochius and amongst those who will be present will be Hon. Tasker Cook, acting Prime Minister, as well as others. The event will take place at three o'clock.


Saturday October 19 1929

Harbour Grace, October 16 -
In the death of the late Mr. E. J. Duff there passed way one  of the immediate successors of that gallant and intrepid band of pioneers- employees of the Anglo-American Telegraph Company, who did so much for the improvement and advancement of Newfoundland. A native of St. John's when he was born in 1864; a pupil of the late brother Holland he entered upon his life's career at the early age of 18 years, taking charge of the transmission station at the A. A. T. Co. at Rantem, T. B. Beginning under the superintendence of the late Mr. A. M. MacKay-illustrious and venerable name, he served under him and his successors for 43 years in the same little hamlet. Our late deceased friend was a man of noble character; straightforward, veracious, and generous to a fault.  His home at Rentem was as an oasis to the traveler. There one would meet the clergymen of the different denominations, politicians, superintendents of educations and practically speaking, men of every walk of life. All agreed that nowhere were thry more welcome or felt at home. Mr. Duff married in 1888 and Mrs. Duff, formerly Miss Daly of Harbour Grace was a true helpmate indeed and her amiable disposition made their home radiate happiness and contentment. They were blessed with a beautiful family- a bevy of the brightest children whom it was the writer's pleasure ever to have met. And he well remembered the occasion on which seven of them -all girls- under the direction of Miss Ida Parsons of Change Islands, staged an entertainment which would do credit to a trained troupe of a large town.  Now grown up they are scattered far and wide, but they feel well assured of the heartfelt sympathy of their many friends of the olden days in the great bereavement.
The last ten years of Mr. Duff's life were spent at Harbor Grace whither ill health compelled his to seek medical treatment. There he passed away on the 8th after having received the rites of his church, and surrounded by his loving wife and several children. His funeral took place at the Cathedral at 10 'clock on Thursday, 15th and his interment immediately after Solemn Requiem Mass. He leaves to mourn:- a sorrowing wife and the following children: Mrs. F. Carthaml, Pittsburg; Mrs. J O Durkee, Chicago; Mrs. J Hilliard, Harbor Grace; Mrs. V M Nugent, Woodford; Misses Mary and Nellie, Nurses, New York, and Misses Teresa and marguerite, telegraph operators at Buchans and Millertown, and Misses Nancy Roberta and Rose at home. To all the writer extends sincere sympathy and prays that the good lord may take the soul of their kind and noble father into His own special care. Cor.


Monday November 4 1929

Peculiar Cause Of Death Of William O'Neill, Who Evidently Strangled Himself In Bedroom

At 6.30 p.m. Saturday, John O'Neill, of 53 Angel place, reported to Constable kenny that his (O'Neill's) brother, William, had committed suicide in his bedroom during the day by hanging himself with a window cord to the bedpost. On investigation it was found that the deceased had been out let Friday night and not being up and around Saturday morning, no notice was taken of it. He had not appeared up to dinner time, so his brother went up to his room and found the door barred. With the assistance of another man he broke into the room and found William O'Neill dead on the bed with his feet against the door and the window cord around his neck. The deceased was 46 years old and leaved two brothers to mourn. The funeral takes place at 2.30 p.m. today from his residence Angel Place.


Saturday November 9 1929

Reception Committee Draft Tentative Programme For Demonstration in Honor of Newfld's Only V. C. On return From London.

A very enthusiastic meeting of the Dominion Executive of the Great War Veterans' Association of Newfoundland and the Sergeants' Mess of Newfoundland was held in the G. W. V. A. Building on Wednesday night. Major J. W. March, M. C. C. de G. was appointed Chairman and Comrade Sergeant A Edwards secretary. Owing to the uncertainty of the time Sergeant Ricketts will arrive at St. John's, at the present moment it is impossible to name the date of his arrival here, but a tentative programme has been drawn up and committee appointed to carry out the home-coming demonstration. Sergeant Ricketts will arrive by express and the demonstration will start from the railway station at 8 p.m. on the date of his arrival. The various organizations are being communicated with asking for their co-operation in taking part in the parade. The route will be down Water Street to government house where His Excellency the governor will welcome Sergeant Ricketts, and thence to the C. L. B. Armoury where a programme of about half an hour's duration will be carried out. It is likely that the ceremony will be broadcast from several points en route and at the Armoury. The co-operation of te C. L. B., By Scouts, girl Guides, Band, etc., is assured. The Mayor, Hon Tasker Cook, will welcome Sergeant Ricketts at the railway station, and the Prime Minister, Leader of the Opposition, and others will deliver short addresses.

Successful Student is Eldest Daughter Rev. J. Brinton, Curate of St. John's Cathedral

Word was received by the Secretary of the Bureau of Education, Dr. V. P. Burke, this morning from the office of the High Commissioner for Newfoundland that Miss Ethel Brinton, the eldest daughter of Rev. J. and Mrs. Brinton has been successful in her examination for  the Intermediate Arts of the University of London. Miss Brinton is at present at the University College, London, where she is continuing the Arts course leading to the B. A. degree. At Spencer College she proved as apt student taking her final examinations there in Junior Associate and the London Matric winning a College scholarship as well as many prizes. Proceeding to the Memorial University College she continued her successful progress and won the Memorial College Scholarship intended to enable students to continue their studies in other institutions. Miss Brinton is to be congratulated upon securing her certificate for the Inter-Arts, London, and her parents and those entrusted with her training in the local institutions may well feel proud of her success.


Tuesday December 3 1929

Body of Oliver Osmond, of South Brook, found Yesterday Morning
Oliver Osmond
, married, of South Brook, was found dead on the transmission line yesterday morning. This information was received by Inspector General Hutching from Constable Myers at Deer Lake, who stated further that he was leaving for South Brook to investigate. It is presumed the man was electrocuted while working on the 66,000 volts electric transmission line which runs from Deer Lake to Corner Brook on steel towers, through the word "line" may mean the route taken by the wires, South Brook is situated near the southern end of Deer Lake.

Because Of Increased Property Damage Mining Co. Increases Subscription to South Coast Disaster Fund From $1,000 To $5,000

Mr. J. G. Higgins received a message yesterday from Mr. Mack G. Chambers at Buchans, as follows: - "Would like to report that Buchans Mining Co., upon further consideration of the likely results from tidal wave, have graciously raised donation to $5,000 which will with other contributions be forward by me for you at the end of this week."


Saturday December 14 1929

Wedding Bells
Windsor, Nov. 25- The marriage of Miss Jessie Irene Bray, daughter of mrs. Jessie Bray of Bruce Avenue, to Mr. David Lloyd Harrid, son of Rev. William harris and Mrs. Harris of Brooklyn, New York, formerly of harbour Grace, Newfoundland, was solemnized Saturday evening, Nov. 25th, at the home of the bride's mother. Rev. H. M. Paulin pastor of St. Andrews's Presbyterian Church read the service before tell standards of white chrysanthemums, Columbia roses, palms and ferns. The bride, who was given in marriage by her brother, Mr. W. R. Bray, entered the living room to the strains of the Lohengrin wedding march played by Mrs. Charles Bray, who was gowned in dahlia georgette. Miss Bray wore a sleeveless gown of white chiffon velvet, made on princess lines with an uneven hemline. Her veil of Limerick lace was worn in cap fashion and caught at the back with orange blossoms. The bride carried butterfly roses and lilies of the valley. Miss Rhea Bray was her sister's attendant and wore a princess gown of peach moire sleeveless with long uneven hemline. Her flowers were tails man roses. Mr. Harris was attended by Mr. Clair Eastman. Mrs. Harrict  Wray of Detroit, wearing a French beaded gown, sang "I Love You Truly", and during the signing of the resister, "Because" Mrs. bray gowned in powder blue georgette with gray slippers and stockings received the bridal party. A buffet supper was served following the cer **** an Italian cutwork cloth centered with an Italian citwork cloth centered with wedding cake and at either end were silver candlesticks holding ivory tapers and vases of pink roses. Mrs. and Mrs. Harris left on an eastern motor trip, and after December 15, will reside in the Granada Apartments, Giles Boulevard- Border Cities Star.


Saturday December 21 1929

Recalls Two Conflagrations Which Destroyed St. John's - Mrs. W. T. Pippy Hopes To Celebrate Day By Attending Church
The News tenders felicitations to Mrs. W. T. Pippy, of Hayward Avenue, who tomorrow celebrates her ninetieth birthday. Born in the city, her whole life has been lived within the borders, and he had witness many changes. Indeed the city had been rebuilt twice during her lifetime, once following the 1846 fire, which she remembers quite well, and again after the conflagration of 1892. As Miss Barter she organized the Methodist orphanage in 1888, and was matron of the institution for seven years. The first building occupied was in Angel Place, and here with two children she began this fine work. A year later owing to an epidemic of diphtheria the orphans were removed to Mundy Pond Road, but neither building or equipment was equal to what it is to-day. Mrs barter, despite her many years is enjoying the best of heath, and hopes to celebrate her birthday to-morrow morning by attending church. For some time she has been residing with her niece Mrs. H. N. Burt, at 79 Hayward Avenue.


Tuesday December 24 1929

Newfoundlander Dead in New York
A message was received this morning by Mr. George J. Veitch superintendent of Postal Telegraphs, informing that his brother, mr. William J. Veitch was for nearly forty years as official of the Western union telegraph Company. No particulars were contained in the message of the cause of death. There are left to mourn five brothers, George J., superintendent of Postal Telegraphs; Philip, trainmaster of the eastern division of the Newfoundland Railway; and John, James and Edward in the United States, and one sister, Mrs. Joseph McGrath.



Page Contributed by: Chris Shelley
Transcribed by John Baird

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday December 03, 2014)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]