Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Daily News
1929 Part 1


Monday January 7 1929


Willis L Penney
Carbonear, Jan. 6 -
While the bells were ringing for service this morning at 10:30 the spirit of our friend, Willis L. Penney, suddenly winged its flight heavenward. Deceased had reached the age of three score and ten and was ill for only a few days. Asthma had been a lifelong trouble, but he was feeling better for the past few days. He leaves to mourn his passing his wife, three daughters, Mrs. Harry Soper, Carbonear; Mrs. L Ash, of Sydney; and miss Isa at home; two sons, Charles B Penney of St. John's, and Lockhart of Alberta, five sisters, Mrs. Margaret Taylor, Mrs. Emily Howell, Mrs. Wm. Noel, Mrs. Laura Aitken, Miss Louise Penney. Funeral takes place Tuesday afternoon. The late Mrs. Penney was educated at the old Methodist Academy and afterwards entered the employ of John Rorke & Sons, where, he remained for a life-time in the grocery and hardware department. A few years ago , owing to ill health he retired. He was one of Carbonear's best citizens, prominent in all social and athletic circles and a life-time member of the Methodist choir. The sympathy of the whole community goes out to the family and relatives in their bereavement. All will miss their old friend Willis, as he was familarly called and there is no doubt there was no moaning of the bar when he put out to sea.
M. J.  H.


Wednesday January 9 , 1929

Witless Bay Youth Kicked In Door of Post Office There
Two Youths Charges with Loose and Disorderly Conduct Punished.

Michael Mullowney and Peter Howlett, two youths from Witless Bay, were before the Magistrate's Court yesterday afternoon at the instance of Constable Quinlan charged with damaging the Post Office at Witless Bay and with loose and disorderly conduct. According to the evidence off Miss Shanahan, postmistress, at the time when mail was being delivered the post office was filled and the door was locked until the people inside has been attended to.  At this time the accused had kicked in the panel of the door. The charges for other actions. Both charges were consolidated and Mullowney was fined $5 or10 and costs and Howlett $1 or 3 days and cost.


Tuesday January 15, 1929


Tragic Results of Accidental Shooting at Island Harbour Fogo,
On Wednesday Last.

New of the tragic death of a seven year old lad, names William Hart, of Island Harbour , Fogo District, was received by the Justice Department, in a message from Magistrate Short of Fogo. The lad was accidentally shot dead by a thirteen year old lad named Simeon Heath of the same place on Wednesday of last week. Particulars of how the tragedy occurred were not given but the Magistrate stated that a preliminary enquire had been held on Saturday and from it is deducted that the shooting was accidental. The following is the message received which contain all the particulars as yet known:-" Simeon Heath, Island Harbour, aged 13, accidentally shot and killed William hart, age 7, of that place on Wednesday evening. Magisterial enquiry held Saturday."



Two youths and Two Girls Found by Mr. John Duff in His Summer Cottage
Eugene Curran and Charles Picco were before the magistrate's court yesterday charged with breaking and entering the summer residence of John Duff, near Bowring Park on Sunday night. They were remanded for eight days. Two girls, Nugent and Quilty, who were charged with being loose and disorderly persons were arrested in connection with the above case. They were released on bonds.
According to the evidence given by Mr. Duff yesterday, on Sunday night he received a telephone message that his summer residence which had not been occupied for some months, had lights burning in it and apparently there were people there. He motored to the place and coming to it found a motor car near by that gate and lights on in the parlour. The door was locked but he was broke it open and going in found two men and a girl in the room which was filled with smoke. the men got out but he took the girl and brought he to town where he gave her in charge of the police who arrested her. Mr. Duff made the complaint against the others and later the two men were arrested. The information that the other girl was there was also given and she was arrested and charged yesterday afternoon.

a second charge against Curran was disposed of at the hearing yesterday morning. He was charged with not stopping his car when ordered to do so by the police. The evidence of Sergeant Nugent who made the charge was that at two o'clock yesterday morning he saw a car coming down Springdale Street with only one light. He gave the signal to stop, but Curran refused to do so, put on more speed and in turning the corner had to put the car on the sidewalk to avoid running over the sergeant. In this case a fine of $5 or 30 days was imposed, but the imposition of the sentence was postponed until the completion of the other charges.




Yesterday there was laid back into mother earth all that was mortal of Joseph Basha, an old and respected citizen. Joseph Basha came to Newfoundland 33 years ago. Born 76 years ago at Mount Libanon and later of Boalbeck he travelled extensively in the U.S. A and Canada and 29 years ago came to Bell Island. Opening business he was mostly exemplary citizen. Kindly and courteous he was know far and wide for a hospitality that knew no limits. Joseph Basha though not of English birth easily came into the ways of those he made his home amongst. Always ready and willing to help he was a most kindly neighbour. After a High Mass at St. Michael's he was interred in the splendid restful spot on the hillbrow. The many friends from far and near that attended his funeral were a very sure sign of the general esteem. Leaving to mourn him are his widow, one daughter, Mrs. Michael Carbugem and two sons, Elias and Edward, to whom the sympathy of the community us extended.



Wednesday February 6, 1929

Harold Forsey May Not Recover From Accident at Paper Mill
Corner Brook, Feb. 2- An accident that may end fatally occurred in one of the paper sheds of the mill Wednesday night at ten o'clock, when Harold Forsey, aged twenty-three, fell a distance of thirty-four feet and broke his back. Young Forsey, who is the son of I. E. Forsey, Hunbermouth Road, is a crane driver in the shed. He was greasing his crane, which is on slides near the ceiling of the shed, when his foot slipped in the grease and he was precipitated to the floor beneath. He was ordered to the hospital by Dr. Cochrane in an unconscious state, where it was found that his back was broken. Thursday morning an X-ray was taken. At the present momnt it is not known whether he will live. If the spinal cord is severed he cannot lived. His father is sick in bed and the news of his son's accident proved a severe shock to him.
-Humber Hearld.

A young man named Llewellyn Bugden was accidentally killed when a tree fell on him while logging near Shoal Harbour. The deceased is a resident of Pelley Smith's Sound. This information was received by the Justice department yesterday in a message from A. S. Butler, J.P. of Shoal Harbour



Died From Fall at Corner Brook Mill Yesterday
Second Accidental Fall Within Few Days - Forsey Still Alive With Broken Back

Corner Brook, Feb. 6-(Special)- The second accident in a week occurred at the paper mill of the International Paper and Power Co. here yesterday when a man named Butt fell from a considerable height and sustained such serious injuries that he died at 10 o'clock tonight.

Harold Forsey who fell thirty-four feet on Wednesday of last week from the ceiling of the shed to the floor of the mill was still alive last night in the Corner Brook hospital. It has been found that his back is broken in two places.


Wednesday February 13 1929



BARNES-Passed peacefully away this morning at 2.30 o'clock, Maxwell Charles Barnes, aged 19 years and 10 months, eldest son of Charles Henry and Daisy Barnes, leaving to mourn besides father and mother 1 brother and 1 sister. Funeral tomorrow, Wednesday, at 2.30 p.m. from his father's residence, Allandale Road, near Burton Pond.

BRIEN-Suddenly on Sunday morning, Fred C. Brien. Funeral on Tuesday, at 2.30 p.m from his late residence, 73 Patrick Street.

JONES-Passed peacefully away on February 11th, Ernest Jones, leaving wife, and 4 children to mourn his loss. Funeral on Tuesday 11.30 to the station from his late residence 47 Gower Street. Friends will please accept this the only intimation.

POWER-On February 11th at the Sanatorium, topsail Road, James Francis, son of Mary and the late Joseph Power, aged 29 leaving widow and son in Grand Falls, mother, brothers and sister in New York, and one sister, Margaret at home. Funeral Tuesday, at 2.45 p.m. from the residence of J. O'N. Conroy, 53 Military Road.

BUCHANAN- Passed peacefully away at 3 p.m. February 11th, Mary Ann, beloved wife of George Buchanan, at the age of 76.  Left to mourn are husband, eight daughters, two sons, 38 grandchildren and 2 great-grandchildren, one sister Mrs. E. Smith, Cambridge, Mass. Funeral at 2.30 p.m,. From her late residence, the Court House, Duckworth Street.


Thursday February 28 1929

Fined of $200 Paid For Having Liquor Not Purchased From Controller With Intent to Sell
The case against Andrew Coady for breaches of the Alcoholic Liquors Act were concluded at the Magistrate's Court yesterday morning when the accused was convicted on two counts and fined $200 for each. He was convicted of having in his possession liquors not purchased from the Board of Liquor Control and with having liquor with intent to sell. The fines were paid.

Slide Ran Into passing Motor Car-Suffers From Shock

Margaret McGrath, aged 15 years whose home is at 180 New Gower Street, was hit by a motor car last night, but was uninjured. About 9.30 she was sliding on Springdale Street and at the time Cyril Chafe taxi-man, was driving west on Pleasant Street, when t the junction of both places, the slide ran into the car. Mr. Chafe took the girl to her home and called Dr. Sharpe who stated that the girl was not injured but was suffering somewhat from shock.

J. M. Farndale is Taken to Hospital
Yesterday afternoon shortly after three o'clock, J. M. Farndale, of Prescott Street, fell on Theatre Hill and fractured a leg. He was driven to the General Hospital where the leg was set and he passed a very good night last night.


Friday March 1 , 1929


St. Bride's, Placentia Bay, Feb. 18- Please allow me space in the Daily News to record the death of a dearly beloved friend in the person of Priscilla, wife of Ambrose Bishop Cuslett, and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Conway, Cape St. Mary's, who passed peacefully away on Feb. 18th, after a long and painful illness, born with patience and resignation to the Holy will of god. The very Rev. Father Ryan administered to her the rites and all the blessings that our Holy Mother Church can give to a soul to safeguard its passage to eternity. Mrs. Bishop enjoyed perfect health up to two years ago, when she was stricken with a fatal disease, which ended in death. She leaves to mourn their loss, her husband and three children a father and mother, three sisters and two brothers. As the bell pealed forth its solemn note the funeral wended its way to the Sacred Heart Church at St. Bride's where Requiem Mass was celebrated for the repose of her soul by Rev. Father Ryan P.P. after which she was laid to rest beside her friends in the cemetery.
May the Sacred Heart of Jesus have mercy on her soul.
She suffered much, she murmured not,
We watched her night and day.
Until at last, with aching hearts,
We saw her pass away


MURPHY-At three o'clock yesterday afternoon, Mary Clancy, relict of the late John Murphy, leaving one son and one daughter to mourn their sad loss. Funeral tomorrow, Saturday at 2.30 p.m. from the residence of her son James Murphy, 64 Brazils Square. R. I. P. Sydney, New York and Montreal papers please copy.

RYAN- Thursday morning fortified by the rites of the Catholic Church, Brigid Dunsterville, widow of the late Samuel Ryan, aged 90 years, native of Kilkenny, Ireland, leaving to mourn their sad loss, 4 sons, 11 grandchildren, and 3 great grandchildren. Funeral on Saturday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence, 27 Cochrane St. - RIP

THOMPSON-Passed peacefully away Wednesday ******* a., beloved wife of Theo. F Thompson.  Funeral to-day at 2.30 p.m. from the Superintendent's residence Penitentiary, Forest Road.


Wednesday March 5 1929

Newfld. Girl Wins Attention Governor.
Boston, Feb. 23- As many of us are aware there is a charming attractiveness about our Newfoundland girls that make them irresistible wherever they go. So it is not to be wondered at, that at the annual ball of the I. T. O. A. held on Monday night in the Boston Madison Garden, a young lady from Heart's Content, Newfoundland, named Miss Frances Rockwood, and now living in Dorchester, was asked by Lieut. governor Youngman to have the first dance with him. As this was the only one dance the Lieut. Governor participated in, the significance of the request is apparent. During the evening three handsome prizes were given away, consisting of an automobile, a radio set and a fur coat.- Newfld. Weekly.

Late Mrs. Cook Had Wide Circle of Friends- Was Close to Century Mark

Twillingate, March 4.-(Special to Daily News):- The oldest resident of this town passed way on Saturday night when Mrs. J. M. Cook, known to many persons outside the town and to almost every resident as "Aunt Jane", passed away after a brief illness within close reach of a century of life. Left a widow half a century ago she supported herself by means of a little restaurant and beer shop, proudly boasting that she never sought government assistance. Without children or near relative she lived alone latterly, through in the winter time often made her home with friends of which she had very many, for her generosity and kindness had made her a popular figure everywhere. Latterly she had been ailing, and for the past week or two steadily losing what had been a tenacious hold on life. There will be general and genuine sorrow among her very large circle of acquaintances at the passing of her familiar figure.


Wednesday March 6, 1929

George Linehan Falls from Leaking Boat at John Pond- Body Recovered

John Pond, St. mary's Bay, was the scene of a sad drowning on Saturday last when George Lineham was drowned a few steps from his home. It seems that the lad having killed a bird a few yards from the land, and being in a hurry to get ti had launched a leaky boat. No sooner had he started when it began to fill with water. He called to his younger brother Eddie who was watching him from land for help. The youngster ran and called aid, but too late. Only the boat and his cap remained to tell of the tragedy which had been enacted in the course of a few minutes. Whilst calling for aid he must have lost his balance and fallen intothe water. He sank immediately. His body was not recovered until Monday. Who can paint that tragic scene a few steps from home? His remains were interred at Colinet on Tuesday at 1.30 p.m. He leaves to mourn his sad loss four brothers, Peter at Boston, Harold in S. America, James and Edward at home. Also three sisters, Nellie and Bride working at Newfld. Hotel and Theresa at home, and a large circle of friends. George was well know and loved by all. His loss will be greatly felt at home. As he was the only support of an invalid brother, younger brother and sister. To his grief stricken friends the writer extends deepest sympathy.-R. I. P.
Note- There are different spellings re Linehan and Lineham which is correct I don't know

Accused Pleads Guilty of Larceny From W. E. Bearns and Sentenced to Three Months
Shannon Caines was sentenced to six months imprisonment yesterday when he pleaded guilty to larceny of a quantity of goods from the store of W. E. Bearns, in the early hours of yesterday morning. The goods stolen were 56 tins tobacco, 42 sticks tobacco 7 pks figs, 14 boxes chocolates, 2 boxes raisins, 5 tins sausages 3 boxes biscuits, 22 packages cigarettes, all to the value of $80. Early yesterday morning night watchman Edward Skiffington whilst making his rounds saw a light in Bearn's store and investigating found Caines inside. He immediately went in search of the police and found Sergeant Nugent near the East End controllers. Both proceeded back to Bearn's and were in time to catch Caines as he came out of the store with his booty. Some of it was in his pockets and the balance he had in a bag. He was taken to the station and when charged yesterday pleaded guilty.


Saturday March 9 1929


WARR- At Grace Maternity Hospital, march 5th, to Mr. and Mrs. R .W. Warr, Springdale , a son.


HEALEY- Passed peacefully away at 11.15 p.m. Friday , March 8th, Patrick E. Healey, aged 30 years, leaving to mourn father, mother, 3 brothers and 2 sisters.  Funeral tomorrow, Sunday, at 2.30 p.m. from his late resident, 68 Water Street.


Thursday March 14 1929


Blackhead, B. D. V. , March 9- As the children wended their way to the Sabbath School, on the peaceful afternoon of Sunday, March 3rd. the spirit of Ella, dearly beloved daughter of John and Emma Butt, slipped quietly across time's threshold to be at home with God. Ella was but 17 years old, of a quite disposition beloved by all who knew her. She was a member of the Sunday School, and for a while Assistant Superintendent of the Kindergarten. She was also a member of the Mission Band and Choir, and was always ready and willing to do her best. During her illness she was never heard to complain and the many friends who had the opportunity of visiting her on her sick bed found her happy in her Saviour's love. The funeral service was conducted by Rev. E. Broughton, and the many flowers and beautiful wreaths which covered the casket and the gathering at the church, showed in what esteem she was held by all.  The Sunday School children walked before the casket and during the singing of "Shall we gather at the river", paid their last tribute of respect to their friend, by dropping in the open grave streamers of white ribbon. Beside her grief stricken parents she leaves to mourn two sisters, Agnes and Sarah now residing in the United States. To the sorrowing ones we extend our most sincere and heartfelt sympathy.
S. L. B.


Monday march 25 1929


Captain J. F. Randell Commander "Im Alone" Which Was Sunk by U. S.
Coastguard Cruiser With Loss of One Man.

Halifax, March 23-(CP)-The schooner Im Alone, sank last night with the loss of one man by the United States coastguard was built in Lunenburg in 1923 and was commanded by J. F. Randell of Newfoundland, carrying a crew of ten, shipped from Halifax to Lunenburg last autumn.

New Orleans, March 24-(CP)- The possibility that the schooner "Im Alone" carried a cargo of aliens to the bottom of the Gulf of Mexico when sunk by coastguard on Friday, was hinted in a private opinion by district Attorney Edmund Talbot who believed the schooner carrying either narcotics or aliens.  The crew of the "Im Alone" were landed to-day in irons.

Washington, March 24-(CP)- An official statement says the pursuit and sinking of "Im Alone" as a suspected rumrunner, was in accordance with international law authorizing continuous pursuit of any vessel violating dry law inside territorial waters.


Thursday March 28 1929

Thorburn Road Woman Fined one Dollar for Assault With Billet of Wood
For hitting James Oliver on the hear with a junk of wood, Catherine Linegar, of Thorburn Road, was fined $1.00 at the magistrate's Court yesterday. The defendant was summoned on Saturday by the plaintiff on a charge of assault and after some evidence was taken the case was adjourned until yesterday. Giving his evidence Oliver stated that when going home sometime after midnight a few nights previously he had gone into the house of the defendant and asked for a cup of tea. Some words were passed between the parties and the result was that the woman took up a small junk of wood and hit Oliver on the head with it. The plaintiff said he had been hit four times but the defendant giving evidence(supported by a witness named Lingar) stated she had not hit more than once.


Friday April 5 1929

The tragic death of Kenneth the two year old child of Mr. Louis Davis, assistant collector of customs at Port au Basques, was reported to the Inspector General yesterday by Constable Humber of Channel who stated the child fell over the wharf near his home at Channel and was drowned. The body was recovered. A similar message was received by the Justice Department.

Mrs. Nora Wade
, aged 45 years, of Portugal Cove, Trepassey, took her own life by hanging yesterday afternoon. The Magistrate at Trepsassey, Dr. F. D. Gill is holding an investigation into the matter to-day. This information was furnished to the Minister of Justice by the Magistrate late last night.

"Hello Girls" Honor Information Operator

A surprise party was tendered last night to Miss Lush at the residence of Mrs. Byrne, King's Bridge Road, by the operators of the Avalon Telephone exchange, in token of the esteem in which she was held by them as "information". An address was presented accompanied by a very useful gift. Miss Lush replied in very fitting terms.


The marriage of Miss Mary O'Brien of Cape Broyle to Mr. William Melvin of Lemanche was solemnized last evening by Rev. Msgr McDermott at 8 p.m. at the R. C. Cathedral. Mr. L. V. Cashin performed the duties of best man whilst Lady Cashin acted as matron of honour to the bride. After the ceremony the bride and groom motored to the residence of Lady Cashin where supper was served and the usual toast honoured. Mr and Mrs. Melvin leave by this morning train for Cape Broyle where they will reside in future. Their many friends join in extending to them every good wish and blessing for a happy and prosperous journey through life.


Wednesday April 10, 1929

Was Found by Two School girls by Side of Track Monday-
Presumed Was Trying Steal Ride

About 1 p.m. Monday two school girls just est of Petries Crossing found a boy named Arthur Keough of Petries with both legs cut off, after No1 express had passed through on its way to Port au Basques. No person saw the accident happen as far as the Railway could find out. The lad was picked up about thirteen poles west of the 408th mile. He was taken by police to the hospital at Corner Brook where died at 5 p.m. the same day. this information was wired to the General Manager of the Railway by Superintendent Cobb of the Western Division Monday afternoon. It appears from the information supplied the Railway that the lad was probably stealing a ride on the train, probably from Curling.


Wednesday April 17, 1929

Sentences Imposed on three Men Charged With Receiving Under False Pretenses
Three men were before the Magistrate's Court yesterday charges with receiving dole, under false pretenses, Patrick Corbett of Convent Lane was first up and according to the evidence of Constable Myers the accused got a dole order for $7.30 on Saturday last. During the week he was working with the Municipal Council and earned $10. The accused in defense stated he had pay for three weeks groceries out of that money.  He had not cashed the dole order because he had heard of the investigation. He was ordered to return the note to Miss Crawford.
Daniel Puddicombe resident of Mundy's pond received an order for $3 on April 3rd. he said he was in need of it as he had to pay house rent and a coal bill out of the money he earned. he has a wife and one child. Last week he earned $9 on Municipal work and in the previous week he earned $12.30. Before that he was on relief work. When the constable investigated his case he refused to recommend coal because there was plenty of fire wood near the home of the accused. He was ordered to pay back the three dollars or pay a fine of $10, or take 30 days imprisonment .
Garland Porter of Flower Hill told the investigation officer that his last job was on relief work. He had to pay $8 house rent and he had neither coal or groceries. He got an order for $7.40 for coal and groceries. It was found that last week he earned $12.00 on Municipal work and the previous week he had received $18 of the same class of work. This was designated the worst case of the three by Judge Morris and he was given an hour to return the $7.40 failing which he would be subject to a fine of $10 or 30 days.


Saturday April 27, 1929


A very pretty wedding took place at St. Patrick's Church Wednesday evening; the contracting parties were Mr. Ethelbert Maloney of Bay Bulls and Miss Julia Murphy, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E. Murphy of 183 Pleasant St., St. John's. The ceremony was performed by Rev. R. A. St. John. The bride was attired in shell pink georgette with hat to match, and carried a bouquet of carnations and maiden hair fern. She was attended by her cousin, Miss M. Garland who was dressed becomingly in sky blue georgette; Mr. Edward Murphy, also a cousin of the bride, supported the groom. After the ceremony the bridal party motored by way of Waterford Bridge Road, Cornwell Avenue and LeMarchant Road to the home of the bride's parents at Pleasant St. There a sumptuous repast was served to many guest, and pleasant hours were spent by the assembled company. The health of the bride was proposed by Rev. R. St. John, to which the groom ably responded. Speeches were made by Messrs. D. Murphy, T. Whelan, W. Ivany, L. English, P. Mansfield, and by Mr. E. Murphy father of the bride. The happy couple, amid showers of confetti and with best wishes for a placid journey on life's road, departed subsequently for Donovan's, where the honeymoon will be spent. We wish Mr. and Mrs. Maloney many , many years of conjugal bliss.


Wednesday May 1 1929

Charles Hunter Brown Falls off Slovan, Rear Wheel of Which Passed Over His Head
Death came suddenly to Charles Hunter Brown, 8½ year old son of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Brown of 198 LeMarchant Road, when the lad, who was riding on a slovan driven by James Dinn, in getting off fell under the rear wheel which went over him killing his instantly. The lad was returning from school shortly before five o'clock, and was taking a ride on the slovan. When about opposite the residence of W. H. Ewing he attempted to get off, but in some way slipped and fell under the rear wheel. The slovan was laden with salt for the Nfld. Butter Co. The wheel went across the lad's jaw and base of the skull, fracturing both and causing almost instant death. Dr. Burden who happened to be passing the scene of the accident, picked  the little chap up and took him to the Grace Hospital, but life was extinct before he arrived at the institution. His mother left home to meet her son and a daughter returning home from school, but missed her son, and did not know of the accident until arrival at home. The driver of the slovan became weak after the accident, and was taken into nearby residence, where he had to be given stimulants.


Monday May 13, 1929

Early Yesterday Morning Shop of J. J. Mulcahy entered by Depredators Through Window

Caught in the act of burglarizing the store of J. J. Mulcahy, Water Street, Joseph Jackman and Michael Walsh are now at the police station and to-day will probably have to answer a charge of breaking into the stores of Charles J. Ellis and Walter Reid, as well. Some time Sunday morning a telephone message to the police station informed them that there was a sound of glass breaking in the store of J. J. Mulcahy and a sergeant and two constables proceeded to the place immediately. Through a transom which was open they saw two men inside getting in (apparently the way the men had got in) the policemen arrested the burglars in the cellar. They were taken to the station and an investigation held, when it was found that Mr. C. J . Ellis's tailor shop has also been entered as well as the barber shop of Mr. Walter Reid adjoining, the men gained admission to these stores through the back way. They got in Ellis store through a window and to get into Reid's the iron bars were torn off the window. Wether or not the men discovered at Malcahy were the same as broke into the other two stores in something that is yet to be determined. The burglars attempted to fit themselves out at Mr. Ellis's store but took only two pairs of pants, leaving their old ones in lieu. It is not known what they took at Reid's through the presumption is that they hoped to get away with some sweepstake tickets.


Monday May 27, 1929


Mrs. Walter B. Williams
Yesterday the death of Mrs. Walter B. Williams occurred at the residence of her son, Mr. George R. Williams at Folrence Grove, Carpasian Road, from pneumonia. The late Mrs. Williams was only two day ill and was the widow of Walter B. Williams, and conducted a crockery ware store on Water Street, opposite the Royal Stores, for many years. She was the oldest, we believe conducting a business of her own on Water Street up to the time of her retirement in March last when she went to reside with her son. She was in business since 1887, and notwithstanding the loss by the great fire of 1892 and the financial crash of 1894, always took a keen interest in maintaining her business integrity. The family has maintained a crockery ware and tea store for over a hundred years on Water Street, St. John's. The late Mrs. Williams leaves two sons, Mr. George R. William, managing director of Rothwell and Bowring Ltd., and Mr. Walter B. Williams, managing director of the Newfoundland Sales Co., Ltd., Duckworth Street. Her brother, Andrew George McCoubrey, who lived in Boston, died at the end of February, and her only surviving brother is Mr. Adam McCoubrey, of Prescott Street, City.

Mr. John Anderson
A well known citizen in the person of Mr. John Anderson passed away at the General Hospital, Saturday afternoon after a brief illness. A week ago deceased entered the General Hospital and underwent an operation which at first was thought would be successful, but complications set in and in spite of every care and attendance the Angel of death summoned him and on Saturday afternoon be breathed his last. Deceased who was fifty-eight years of age was born in Copenhagen Denmark and made his home in St. John's more than a score of years ago. During his illness he was attended by the Rev. Greavett, Rector of St. Michael's Church, who gave spiritual aid during Mr. Anderson's last moments. Deceased leaves a wife and ten children, including Mrs. Armstrong and Mrs. Thorne of Elmira, N,.Y. and mrs. A Long, of this city. The funeral takes place this afternoon at 2.30 from his late residence, Hamilton Avenue. The deceased who was very favorably known in St. John's West, leaves a large circle of friends to mourn their loss, and to them and relatives the writer tenders sympathy.- D


Curling, May 22,- The Sagona Capt. J. Cullage, reached here at 2 p.m. yesterday, from the Straits coastal service. Leaving here last Wednesday evening on her first trip for the season fair weather was met until leaving Bonne Bay Thursday night, when a gale of S. E. wind sprang up compelling the ship to return to Bonne Bay until it moderated. Friday morning an attempt was made to go north ago. The ship called at Rocky Harbour but could only land a few packages of freight before the wind shifted to the N. N. west and blew harder than before. Retreat to Bonne Bay was again made where continuous gales rarely equaled on this coast at this season of the year raged until Saturday night.
At midnight Saturday the wind began to decrease, and early Sunday morning the Sagona proceeded north calling at Cow Head, Parsons Pond and Daniels Harbour, where considerable freight was landed. About midnight Sunday the ship was about 7 miles from Port Saunders when heavy drift ice was met. It was then to tight to get through and the captain decided to try and go around it and land Grants men for Blanc Sabion somewhere on the Canadian Labrador. The ice lay westward from Point Riche and do water was visible 20 miles west of there.
At daylight another attempt was made to reach port Saunders which was successful after considerable butting. Most of the passengers who went north on the ship returned by her again and will remain onboard until they reach their destination. Mr. M. Job Taylor and Mr. Brooke left at Port Saunders to travel to Flowers Cove.
Friday and Saturday's gales were worst experienced for some time, and considerable damage was done to lobster gear that had been set. Several schooners harboured at Bonne Bay during the gale.  Some more or less damaged.
It is not probable that the Sagona will get very far north on her next trip, and indications point to a late season. The wireless station at Point Amour reports a solid jam of ice in every direction.- Western Star.


Wednesday June 5 1929

Tragedy in Burning House When Owner Suffocates
Michael Hanlon Loses Sense of Direction in Attempt to Escape From Blazing Building and Overcome by Smoke Fumes Dies on the Spot.
Michael Hanlon is dead , his home is completely gutted by fire and the house on either side, occupied by Messrs. Dwyer and Viguers are more or less damaged as a result of a disastrous fire which broke out in the house of the victim on Catherine Street about 11.30 last night. As yet the cause of the fire is unknown but the presumption is that it was caused by an overturned lamp in the kitchen which was on the back of the house, which place suffered from fire more that any other room in the building. About 11.20 o'clock passers-by notice fire issuing from the house of the late Michael Hanlon which is the second from the top on the northern side of Catherine Street. An alarm was immediately sent in and in a short time the central and East End fires companies were on the scene. In the meantime Mr. Oakley, who was passing, rushed into the house to see if there was anyone needing assistance and was able to rescue the seven year old son of Mr. Hanlon, who was taken out without being burned. The fifteen year old daughter also got out without being injured. Michael Hanlon, who was a widower and who was living in the house with his two children, failed to get to safety and succumbed to suffocation. He was not burned to any extent and it is thought that in endeavoring to get out of the house through the volumes of smoke turned the wrong way and was unable to make the entrance. His body was found near the back of the staircase when the firemen were able to get in the house. Dr. Anderson was summoned and Rev. Father Green and Murphy from the Cathedral also were called to give spiritual aid to the unfortunate man.

When firemen arrived the house was burning fiercely on the inside and with much despatch hose was attached to the nearby hydrants and several streams were pouring on the flames. It was not long before the danger was passed, but not until Hanlon house was completely gutter by fire. The house on the corner was occupied by Mr. T. Dwyer. The upper portion of this suffered from the blaze which ate its way through from the house next door whilst the whole place suffered much damage from water. The house east of Hanlon's was occupied by Mr. Viguers. The roof of this was somewhat damage by the fire and some damage was done to the interior by water but it did not suffer so badly as did Dwyer's. After about an hour's work the firemen were able to return to their stations all the fire having been extinguished. It was fortunate, however, that the night was calm as had their been wind it is very likely that a much more serious out break would have occurred. Directly opposite is Crocker's garage in which there were a number of cars some of which were taken out when the fire started and had the fire got to that side and into the garage the consequences would have been much more serious.

After the seven year old son of the deceased had been taken out of the burning home he was taken to Mr. Thomas Dunn's house and later the child, as well as his sister, was taken by Mr. Edward Hanlon, brother of the deceased, the body of Mr. Hanlon was taken in charge by Sergeant Nugent who had it conveyed to Carnell's Mortuary Rooms where it will be prepared for burial. The late Michael Hanlon was well known in the city. He was about forty-five year of age and was a widower, his wife predeceasing him about four years ago. Two children were living with him but others are at Mount Cashel and Belvedere Orphanages. He was a prominent member of the L. S. P. U. And for years worked on the Red Cross and Furness Line premises, being for some time a foremen stevedore. His death under such unfortunate circumstances will come as a severe shock to his relatives and children to whom sympathy will be extended.


Wednesday June 5 1929

Late Capt. Gillam Displayed Much Daring In Pacific
Victoria, B. C. , - (By C.P.)- A pioneer navigator of the West Coast of Vancouver Island, who on many occasions, displayed daring and resourcefulness in piloting his ships across the so-called "Graveyard of the Pacific". Reached his last port when Captain Edward Gillam died on the bridge of the steamer Princess Norah recently. A Native of Newfoundlander, Captain Gillam followed the sea from boyhood, and for the past twenty years was a master of steamships operations along the West Coast of Vancouver Island. His first command was the old steamer Tees, then the Princess Maquinna, and finally the Princess Norah, only recently put in service in these waters by the Canadian pacific Railway, Captain Gillam had the Distinction of carrying His Excellency, the Governor-General and pary along the West Coast on the maiden voyage of the Princess Norah one month before his death. In the isolated districts of the West Coast Captain Gillam had numberless friends among the settlers, Indians, fishermen and loggers. Many times during the early days he was called in as arbitrator to settle disputes among the Indian tribes. Captain Gillam frequently acted as a good Samaritan of the Sea.


Wednesday June 12 1929


June the 2nd, 1929, there passed from this realm to the Great Beyond, one of the noblest brothers of our beloved Isle, John Bishop, of Salmonier, St. Mary's Bay. His going brings real regret to those who knew him, always the true hearted, hard working man. To even breath an unpleasant thought of any one friend or foe was beneath him. He lived a good Catholic life and god blessed him with his full senses to turn to Him who never turns from a penitent Hear.

the funeral of the late Mr. M. Packham was perhaps the oldest of the city butchers and being well known and highly respected, a large number of citizens attended to pay their last respects. the remains were enclosed in a beautiful casket provided by funeral director Lawrence and the contribution of floral tributes were large, rich and beautiful. Interment was at the C. E. Cemetery, the service being conducted by the Rev. J. Brinton.


Friday June 14 1929

James Leo Fitzpatrick, 23 Run Over By Electric Shovel Succumbs From Injuries Sustained
Bell Island, June 13-(special to Daily News)-James Fitzpatrick, aged 23, son of John S Fitzpatrick, Lance Cove road, died at 5.45 this evening from terrible injury received when he was run over by the electric shovel in number three mine at eleven this morning. The electrical shovel was excavating ore on a grade in number three and Fitzpatrick was working behind it. It is presumed that the shovel, which runs on rails was backing up and the young man failed to get out of the way, the wheels passing over his body. He was rush to the surgery where he was attended by Dr. Lynch and Giovanetti who did their utmost for the injured man, while Dr. Keegan was hastily summoned from St. John's in case an operation was necessary, but the injuries were too serious for such treatment. Rev. Frs. Rawlins and Bartlett attended the injured man and administered sacred rites. All attempts at medical aid were unavailing, however, and at quarter to six he passed away. Mr. T A Hall, government engineer, visited the Island to hold an investigation into the accident.


Monday June 17 1929

Long Concourse Of People Follow Hearse To Cathedral And Thence To Belvedere Cemetery
All that was mortal of the late Sir P. T. McGrath, K. B. E., was laid to rest in Belvedere cemetery yesterday afternoon. The funeral took place from his residence, Gower Street, and the large number that attended was a tribute to the respect in which the deceased was held in the community. Preceding the hearse on which the remains were enclosed in a handsome casket covered with flowers was another hearse laden down with wreaths from many friends of the departed. On the other side of the hearse walked the officers of the Benevolent Irish Society, of which institution Sir Patrick was a life long member. Immediately following the near relatived of deceased walked Dr. L. E. Keegan and Mr. P. W. Keegan, intimate friends, whilst afterward walked Capt. A. B. Baird, representing His Excellency the Governor, the members of the Legislative Council and the speaker of the Assembly and the Judges of the Supreme Court. The funeral cortege proceeded via Military Road to the R. C. Cathedral where the funeral service was taken by His Grace the Archbishop, who was attended by Revs. P. J. Kennedy, R. J. Green, and H. Curtis whilst the following priests chanted the response and canticles, Rt. Rev. Mons. McDermott, Revs. Dr. Carter, T. J. Flynn, R. McD. Murphy and J. W. O'Mara. From the cathedral the remains were taken to Belvedere cemetery where the remains were interred. The funeral arrangements were in charge of undertaker Myrick.

Committed for Trial
Albert M. Spracklin was committed for trial at the supreme court on Saturday morning. The accused, who was formerly cashier at the Crown Life Insurance Company is charged with embezzlement. The Grand Jury will be summoned to-day to consider a bill of indictment against the accused.


Tuesday June 18 1929

Two Young men Of That Place Killed Instantly at Dayton, Ohio
"In the morning it flourisheth"
We were recently called to the funeral of Mrs. Elizabeth Thistle of Harvey Street, Harbour Grace, 74. From the same home not very long since, Mr. thistle jr. followed the remains of a beloved father, and also of his own son who was accidently killed at his work a few weeks ago. After the obsequies, which were well attended to by Mr. Edward Parsons the undertaker, and the usual service at home, the Methodist Cemetery received the remains, which, with those of kindred friends await the coming day, a day of eternal sunshine to all who have the spirit of Christ dwelling in them. It was thoughtful of the hr. Grace friends to take us in motor car to Carbonear again where, almost immediately on our arrival we were handed a telegram from Dayton, Ohio, announcing the sad death of Lilian Clarke, married, 40, and also of his brother Andrew, 30,who in some way not yet known to their friends here were both instantly killed on Wednesday, 12th. It was a somewhat pathetic sight, today, Friday, 14th, when with his wife dying of consumption we had the painful duty of breaking to Mr. George Clarke of the double tragedy of his two sons whom he had hoped would some day return to Crocker's Cove and have the homestead as their future residence. Whether the father's request that their remains be sent home for final burial, will be acceded to is not yet know. We have, however sent a message to Ohio on that matter.
"Or worn by slowly rolling year,
Or broke by sickness in a day,
The fading glory disappears,
The short-lived beauties die away."
F. G. W.
Carbonear, Jun 14th, 1929


Mrs. Elizabeth Thistle
Mrs. Elizabeth Thistle, widow of Mr. Noah Thistle, passed peacefully away yesterday, at the residence of her step-son Mr. Henry Thistle, Harvey Street. The deceased was in her seventy-fourth year, and leaves on daughter, Mrs. Reuben Martin , of Sydney, C. B. The funeral took place this evening , interment being in the United Church Cemetery. In the absence of the pastor, Rev. G. B. Pickering, the funeral service was conducted by Rev. Mr. Wyley of Carbonear.


Monday June 24 1929


BISHOP- Suddenly yesterday morning at the residence of Mr. R. H. Richards, 83 Pennywell Road, C. F. Bishop of Burin.  Funeral notice later

- The funeral of the late C. F. Bishop of Burin will take place at 8 a.m. sharp, Monday morning from the residence of Mr. R. H. Richards, 83 Pennywell Road to railway station. A short service will be commencing at 7.45 a.m. All friends and **** please take notice.


Tuesday July 2 1929


ENGLISH-On July 1st, after a long and tedious illness, William English, Jeweller, at the age of 80 years, leaving to mourn wife, eight daughters and one son. Funeral on Wednesday at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence, Freshwater Road.


Wednesday July 3, 1929


William English
There passed peacefully away at noon , on Monday, a highly respected citizen of this city in the person of Mr. Wm. English, only son of the late John and Elizabeth English. The late Mr. English had attained the ripe old age of 80 years, celebrating his 80th birthday on the 21st day of June past. For over forty years he carried on the watchmaking and jewellery business now known as the firm of W. and R. English. A man of sterling worth , of kind and gentle disposition he was loved by all with whom he came in contact. He had gone home to his reward to hear the "well done" of Him Who doth all things well. Left to mourn his sorrowing wife (nee Martha Atwell) eight daughters, four of who reside in the United States and four in Newfoundland, one son, Robert, of this city, and one sister, Miss Jemima, to all of whom we extend our sympathy.
"We cannot say, and we will not say that he is dead. He is just away."


Thursday July 4 1929

Newfoundland Pupil Winds Scholarship
Boston, June 29- Mrs. Rossiter Loomis Coe of Brookline, Mass., gave a party last week in honor of her niece, Miss Charlotte Blunden who won a scholarship from the Quinn Conservatory of Music and also finished her course at the Laskey Commercial College where she has been studying for the past two years. Miss Blunden is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. William Blunden and sister of Mrs. William Thomas Sutton, Bay de Verde. She attended St. John's, Nfld., receiving her early commercial training from the Sisters at the Mercy Convent. Mrs. Coe was formerly Miss Mary Jacobs of Bay de Verde, and married the nephew of the late Judge Coe of Hartford, Comm. Her niece plans to enter the teaching profession in the fall.-Nfld. Weekly, Boston.


Wednesday July 17, 1929

Samuel And John Butt of Rocky Harbour Are Victims Of The Sea And Their Bidies have Not Been Recovered.
Schooner Dora A. Anderson reported Loss Two Men
When a boat in which five men were endeavoring to cross from Whale Island to Eastern twins, St. John's Bay, was swamped, John Butt Sr. and Samuel Butt both of Rocky Harbour, St. Barbe district, were drowned, and their bodies have not yet been recovered. A message to inspector General Hutching from constable Burssey of Bonne Bay received yesterday stated that John Butt, Samuel Butt, Timothy Gaulton, Willis Watts and the son of John Butt left Whale Island to go to the Eastern Twins for a load of wood on Monday afternoon. On the passage the boat was swamped and all five men were thrown in the water. Timothy Gaulton, Willis Watts and John Butt Jr. managed to cling to the bottom of the boat and drifted to shore, but John But Jr., and Samuel Butt were drowned. The message stated that the bodies have not been recovered and that both of the victims belong to rocky Harbour.

The loss of two men, crew of the schooner D. A. Anderson, Capt. Dan Mosher, was reported yesterday when the vessel arrived at Cape Broyle. The drowning's occurred on July 9th and the victims were William Peddle, aged thirty-two years and resident of St. Mary's, and George Pike, whose home is in Lunenburg. No further particulars were received .


Monday August 5 1929


Mrs. Thos. Bugden
Far away on the shore of the sunny Pacific one of Newfoundland's worthy families has been called to mourn the sudden and unexpected passing of a sister, wife and mother in the person of Jennie Hay Walsh, beloved wife of Thos. M. Bugden. Mrs. Bugden who had been suffering from gall stones for the past two or three years was finally admitted to St. Paul's Hospital, the operation was successfully performed and hopes for her recovery ran high when suddenly her heart failed. All that was humanly possible was done to restore her but to the astonishment of specialist, doctors and nurses she passed out. Mrs. Bugden was a native of Airlee, Scotland, having come over to British Columbia with her parents about eighteen years ago. She leaves to mourn a husband and four children besides a father , a sister and two brothers and a host of friends. Sadly her remains were laid to rest in Ocean View Burial Park, South Vancouver.  The funeral service were conducted by the Rev. Dr. Sanford of Canadian Memorial, Chapel.  The pall bearers were Messrs. F. Beazley, F. Goddard, James Walsh, H. D. Pearl, W. S. Publicover, W. F. N. Bugden. Thos. N. Bugden is a son of Thos. Budgen and brother of W. F. N. Budgen, formerly of Epworth, Newfoundland, now residing at Vancouver, B.C.
"Far away beyond the shadow,
In Our father's house at Home,
there our precious ones departed
Watch and wait for us to come."

W. F. N. B.

Two girls were before court on Saturday charged with the larceny of goods to the value of $9 from the store of Mr. Grouchy, Pouch Cove. It was alleged that they broke into the place. One was convicted and fined $10 and the other was remanded pending further enquiry.



Page Contributed by: Chris Shelley
Transcribed by John Baird

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday December 03, 2014

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]