Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Daily News


Wed. Jan 2, 1924


Wedding Bells:

A Pretty wedding was celebrated at Cochrane Street, Centennial Church at 3.30 on Monday, December 31st. the contracting parties being Mr. E. H. Hiscock son of Mr. and Mrs. Eli Hiscock, of this city, and Miss Emily Bishop, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Bishop, of Wesleyville. The ceremony was performed by Rev. C. H. Johnson. The bride, who was attired in a travelling costume, and carried a bouquet of chrysanthemums and maiden hair fern, was attended by Miss Lottie Hiscock, sister of the groom, Mr. Duncan Cook was father giver, while Mr. Frank Ryall performed the duties of groomsman. Following the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the groom's parents, Bell St. The bride was the recipient of many valuable presents testifying the esteem of a large circle of friends.

Coasting Accident:

At 2.15 yesterday morning as cabman James Hickey was proceeding along New Gower Street, Frank Nelder, aged 20, of Leslie Street who was coasting over Springdale Street ran under Hickey's sleigh turning it over. He was picked up by cabman M. Hayse and as no doctor was available he was conveyed to the Hospital where he was attended to by Dr. Fox who found two nasty scalp wounds and the left ear almost severed and the victim suffering from severe shock.


BARRETT - On Sunday, December 30th to Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Barrett a son.


HISCOCK - BISHOP- On Dec. 31st, by Rev. C. H. Johnson, E. H. Hiscock, of this city, to Emily, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jesse Bishop, of Wesleyville.


MANUEL - At 11 p.m. on Tuesday, January 1st, Jennette Manuel, daughter of the late Josiah and Elizabeth Manuel, of Exploits, aged 53 years. Funeral notice later.

PARSONS - At 10 o'clock Monday evening after a long and painful illness Edgar Parsons, aged 51 years, leaving mother, wife, 2 sons, 2 daughters and a large circle of friends to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Wednesday at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence 13 Golf Ave.

ENGLISH - On Monday morning at 8 o'clock after a long illness, Allan English, aged 49 years, leaving a wife and daughter, one sister and two brothers to mourn their sad loss. Funeral to-day, Wednesday at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence, 182 Hamilton Avenue. Friends and relatives please attend without further notice.


Thurs. Jan 17, 1924


Body Found
A message was received by Manager Russell, yesterday afternoon, stating that the body of John Kennedy, fireman, of the S.S. Meigle had been located at 2.40 p.m. yesterday. The deceased belongs to Petty Harbour and is survived by a widow and two children. Immediately on receipt of the message, Mr. Russell got in communication with the clergyman at Petty Harbour and asked him to convey the news to the deceased relatives. The body will arrive here to-day and will be forwarded to his home for burial.

Mon. Feb 4, 1924


DILLON - On Sunday morning, after a short illness, Lillian Dillon, wife of Stephen Dillon, leaving an infant son, a father and mother, one sister and one brother to mourn their sad loss.

WESTERN - Sunday morning, after a long illness, Susan, wife of the late Philip Western, of South Sheilds, England, and formerly of Greenspond, B.B. Funeral on Tuesday at 2.30 p.m. from her son's residence 104 Queen's Road.

HALLERAN - At her home, suddenly, Adell Slaney, daughter of Alex and Clair Slaney, of St. Lawrence, and wife of Maurice Aloysius Halleran. She leaves to mourn her sad loss a loving husband and two daughters, her parents, two sisters and four brothers. Funeral on Tuesday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence 37 Gower Street.


Fri. May 2, 1924


DOODY -On May 1st, after a short illness, Nelly Kenny, darling wife of M. A. Doody, leaving to mourn husband, infant son, father, two brothers and five sisters. Funeral on Sunday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence, 103 Cabot Street.

PENNEY - Passed peacefully away on May1st, after a long and painful illness, Jeremiah Penney, in his 42nd year, leaving a wife, five sons, six daughters, mother and four sisters, Mrs. Thomas Walsh of Montreal, Mrs. Charles Young of St. John, N.B. ; Mrs. Frank Levigue of this city and Miss Rose of New York, also a large circle of friends to mourn their sad loss. Funeral takes place on Sunday at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence 28 Stephen's Street. Friends please accept this the only intimation. American and Canadian papers please copy.
"We shall sleep but not for ever,
There will be a glorious morn,
We shall meet to part, no never,
n the Resurrection Morn. "

Tues. Aug 19, 1924


STORY - QUINN - On August 2nd, at the First Presbyterian Church, Niagra Falls, Mr. Harold Philliskirk Story, second son of Mrs. Elizabeth Story, of this city, to Marie Isabella Quinn of Owen's Sound Ontario. Their future home will be in Toronto.


BUCKLEY - On Monday, August 18th, after a long illness, Richard J. Buckley, aged 62 years. Funeral on Wednesday at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence, 59 Bannerman St. - R.I.P.

MURPHY - At the General Hospital yesterday morning at 12.30 of injuries, Michael Francis, eldest son of the late Wm. and Eliza Murphy. Left to mourn are wife, four children, one sister and one brother. Funeral at 2.30 p.m. from his late residence 17 Patrick Street.

WARREN - On Monday, August 18th, after a brief illness, Jemima Facey Warren, aged 64 years, leaving husband, 2 sons, and 3 daughters, also 1 sister and 1 brother to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Wednesday from her late residence, 231 South Side at 2.30 p.m.
"Resting in Paradise until Resurrection morning."


Wed. Aug 20, 1924


We deeply regret to record the death on Monday, August 18th at her residence 231 Southside, of Jemima Facey Warren, wife of Cyrus Warren. The late Mrs. Warren was taken about a fortnight ago with a paralaytic stroke. Since then she had been doing as well as expected and up to the time of her passing was in possession of all her faculties, with the exception of the use of one side of her body which had been paralised. Quite suddenly on Monday a change came and within a quarter of an hour she passed peacefully away. She was well liked and esteemed by a host of friends for her estimable qualities, and her cheerful and amiable disposition and her departure will be a great loss in more ways than one, especially for her philanthropic works and her generous and ready response to all church and charitable movements. She leaves to mourn, her husband, Cyrus Warren of H.M. Customs Department, two sons, Capt. Val. Warren of the Pensions Department; Ernest (Ern), Electrician on a "Grace" liner running from New York to South America; three daughters, Mrs. E. G. Arnott (Ina) of this city; Mrs. T. W. Dickson (Blanche) of Sydney, N.S. , and Mrs. J. Hussey (Hettie) of Toronto; one sister Mrs. E. Squires of this city, and one brother, Mr. W. Bowden of New York. The late Mrs. Warren was daughter of the late Capt. Bowden, who was a well known master mariner in other days.


Wed. Jan 30, 1924


Wedding Bells

Brigus was en fete Thursday, Jan. 24th. From the early morning a volley of guns was heard and bunting was seen flying everywhere. The gaiety was to celebrate the marriage of two very popular Brigusonians. The happy event took place at 3 o'clock in the Methodist Church, the participants being Capt. Wm. Pomeroy - popularly known as Billie - son of the late Capt. George and Mrs. Pomeroy and Miss May Smith, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Nicholas Smith. The bride entered the Church leaning on the arm of her father while Lohengrin's Wedding march was being played by the organist, Miss Emma Bartlett. The bridesmaid was Miss Evelyn Rabbitts, cousin of the bride. The groom was ably supported by Capt. Wm. Bartlett, Jr. The officiating clergyman was Rev. Charles Lench, Pastor of the Church. The bride looked charming in a navy blue tailored suit and fox fur with Sax blue hat. The bridesmaid wore a dress of sax blue silk and black hat and looked very pretty. After the register had been signed the happy couple accompanied by several guests drove to the home of the bride's parents where tea was served and the young folks given a hearty and delightful send off. The happy pair joined the evening train to Holyrood where the honeymoon will be spent. The bride was the recipient of many presents, including a silver tray from the members of the church choir, the Sunday School of which she was Secretary and the Girls Guild of which she was a member. Capt. And Mrs. Pomeroy's many friends wish them Bon Voyage over the matrimonial sea.


Sun. Feb 16, 1924


We regret to record the death of Mrs. Marion Roberts of Wesleyville, widow of the late Thomas Roberts. Deceased had reached the age of 89 years and 10months, and, until within a few weeks of her death, remained in full possession of all her faculties. For many years a respected member of the community, an earnest God-fearing woman, a good mother and devoted grand-mother, her loss is keenly felt by all. For some time prior to her illness she resided with her son Mr. Peter Roberts at Wesleyville. Of 13 children, 8 are still living. John residing in St. John's, Thomas in Philadelphia, Eli, Peter and Samuel at Wesleyville, three daughters, Caroline, Mary and Priscilla residing at Wesleyville and Valleyfield. She had 81 grandchildren, 51 of whom are still living, 103 great-grandchildren, of whom 91 are still living. Greatest sympathy is felt towards Mr. Peter Roberts and the inmates of the home in which she died, especially, as the last few weeks have witnessed the carrying out the first of his grand child, then the wife of Mr. Roberts, Mrs. Julia Roberts, and finally the mother, or Grandma Roberts, as she was best known. The family received many messages and tokens of sympathy, for which they desire to express gratitude.


Tues. Feb 26, 1924


"Thou hast all seasons for thine own, O Death!"
The Angel of Death in its visitation of February 23rd, claimed for its victim the soul of Leo, fourth son of Sergt. and Mrs. Chafe, of this city. Deceased had been suffering for some time past. In 1920, after receiving all possible medical attention in this country, he was obliged to seek it abroad, and returned from Carney Hospital, South Boston, much improved. After a time he resumed his position with the Avalon Telephone Co. , but his health again failing him he was obliged to spend nearly two years at the General Hospital here whence he returned home on November 3rd to be cared for by his loving parents until the final call would come. All efforts to alleviate his sufferings and restore him to health were in vain, for God willed that Leo, at the early age of 25 years, should finish his early life and to-day we trust he is in his heavenly home reaping the reward for his patience and suffering. His life was an edifying one and to know him was to love him. At 3 p.m. yesterday afternoon he was laid to rest at Mount Carmel Cemetery. Left to mourn are a father, mother, three sisters, Annie, at Boston, Mass. , Estella and Cecilia at home; six brothers, James, at Mansfield, Mass. , Jack at Canso, N.S. , William and Ronald at Bishop's Falls; Edward, at Hamilton, Bermuda, and Alphonsus at home.


Wed. Mar 12, 1924


Charged with Bigamy
A resident of Grand Falls, named Patrick Healey, arrived in town yesterday accompanied by Constable Trickett. The man is charged with having two wives, both living. Yesterday afternoon he appeared before Judge Morris when the following charge was made:- "For that on the 24th day of January A.D. , feloniously did marry and take to wife, at Grand Falls, Newfoundland, one Lilly Cheater of Grand Falls, Alice, your former wife to whom you were previously married, to wit, on the 4th day of March, A.D. 1919 being then alive. Contrary to the statute in such case made and provided." As the Crown was not ready to proceed with the case, the accused was remanded for eight days. He was not represented by counsel.


Wed. Apr 9, 1924


BRACE -Last evening at the General Hospital, James Brace, in his 75th year. Funeral at 2.30 on Thursday from the residence of his brother Alfred Brace, 30 Leslie Street.

MARTIN - Yesterday morning of Tuberculosis, May, darling child of Alice and Frederick S. Martin, aged 13 years. Gone home to Heaven, "Safe in the arms of Jesus."  Canada papers please copy. Funeral on Friday at 2.30. There was an Angel band in Heaven,
That was not quite complete,
So God took our darling May,
To fill the vacant seat.

LEVER - After a long and tedious illness, Mrs. William Lever, (nee Jennie Godley) in her 33rd year, leaving husband, three children and mother to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Thursday at 3 p.m. from her late residence 72 Bannerman St. Friends and acquaintances please attend without further notice. Boston papers please copy.


Tues. May 20, 1924


Little Girl Meets Tragic Death

A sad calamity befell the father and mother of a little girl named Earle, who was burned to death on Sunday evening at her home on Pearce Avenue, whilst her parents were away from the house. The child who is only seven years of age, was in the act of putting paper in the stove, when it blazed up, igniting her clothing. The flame enveloped her in an instant and when neighbours, hearing her scream, rushed to the house, and extinguished the fire, she had lapsed into unconsciousness. A doctor was immediately called, and the sufferer rushed to the hospital, where she passed away yesterday morning. Stella Earle was the darling of the family and the blow will be a severe one to the grief stricken parents, to whom general sympathy is extended in their sorrow.


Wed. May 28, 1924

Wedding Bells:

On April 23rd, Old St. George's Church, Halifax, was the scene of one of the prettiest weddings of which in a long time it has been the scene, the bride being Hattie Bridge, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Everett Horatio Wills of St. John's, Newfoundland and the groom, Captain Egbert Randell of the Canadian Importer, whose home is in Vancouver, and who made the water trip all the way from British Columbia, to Halifax by way of the Panama Canal, in his ship. Mrs. Wills, accompanied her daughter from St. John's. For the wedding the organist of the Church, Miss Gabriel was in attendance, giving the fine rendition of the wedding marches. The Rector, Rev. H. W. Cunningham, performed the ceremony. Miss Wills, who was given in marriage by her brother, Edward Davey Wills, is a remarkably pretty girl and looked really lovely in her gown of mauve tricollette, worn with hat to correspond and necklace of pearls, her bridal bouquet being of palest pink roses. Mrs. Capt. Jack Randell, was matron of honour. She wore black silk with over mantle, and skirt of black and silver lace, her bouquet being of pink and white carnations. Mr. Sutherland, one of the officers of the Canadian Importer, attended as best man. In a brief address to the couple, Mr. Cunningham, after extending to them wishes for all possible happiness, and God's richest blessings, on their union, referred happily to their marriage in historic St. George's as being very appropriate. It was the old "Round" Church and symbolized the Empire which was world wide. This was a wedding when east and west became one. After the ceremony, a reception was held at the home of Captain Jack Randell, brother of the groom, where the happy couple were toasted. Captain and Mrs. Randell will make their home in Vancouver, Mrs. Randell joining her husband in Montreal and accompanying him thence to British Columbia. Al present at the wedding were as one in all good wishes, both bride and groom having formed some warm friendships during their short stay in the city. -Halifax Herald, April 23rd.


Wed. Aug 13, 1924


Two Southside Men Lose Lives on Labrador
The Department of Justice is in receipt of a message from Capt. S. R. Winsor of the S. S. Wren, then at Makovick, containing the information that Robert and Ford Porter, of the Southside, this city, had lost their lives by drowning during the past spring. It would appear that the first intimation of the tragedy was the finding of Robert Ford's body fourteen miles below Makovick on July 29th. The message states that the men were drowned at Main River, Okak Bay, by capsizing their canoe about May 20th. The canoe was also picked up. The message goes as follows: -
"Rober Porter and Ford Porter of Southside, St. John's, were drowned at Main River, Okak Bay, capsizing their canoe about May20th. Body of Robert Porter picked up July 29th. , fourteen miles below here. Canoe found. Will make further enquiries next trip. Sending body next Meigle."
As far as can be ascertained, the brothers Porter were engaged at trapping in the north, having spent the past winter in the work in conjunction with Mr. Gillingham. Early in the spring, the three men journeyed to Battle Harbour, where Mr. Gillingham embarked for Humbermouth. It is evident that after this the Porters took fresh supplies and set out on the return journey to the scene of their labours. This is the last that has been learned of them and it is presumed that whilst enroute the tragedy occurred.


Fri. Sept. 12, 1924


NICOL - POWER: - On August 23, at the Church of St. Charles of Borromeo, Brooklyn, New York, by the Rev. Father Brophy, Kathleen Ignatius Power, to Rex E. Nicol, both of St. John's.


EARLE - At Change Islands, on Friday, Sept. 11th. , Louisa Julia, beloved wife of Charles Frederick Earle, aged 68 years.

STEIN - On August 31st. , in his 34th year, as the result of an accident, Donald Morrison Stein, son of the late Anabel and Robert Stein. Funeral services, held Sept. 2nd, at Fairchild's Chapel, Brooklyn, N. T. Cremation at Fresh Pond Crematory.

WHITTEN - Passed peacefully away yesterday morning, Herbert H. Whitten, leaving wife, 1 child, 1 sister and 3 step-sisters, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Saturday at 2.30 from the residence of Mr. C. Knight, 27 William Street. Friends will please accept this the only intimation.


Sat. Sept. 13, 1924


14 Year Boy Charged With Manslaughter
Robert Penney, aged 14, of English Hr. , T.B. , is faced with a charge of manslaughter. The victim is 8 ½ years old, Stanley Ivany, of the same place. It is alleged that Ivany died as a result of a beating with a dogfish in the hands of Penney. Ivany left his house to go on an errand for his mother, and on the way home, it is said, was accosted by Robert Penney and his nine year old brother Cyril. A female resident of Champneys who was driving home her cows passing by that spot an hour or so later, was horrified to find young Ivany lying by the roadside. Upon examination, it showed he had sustained an injured leg, and the woman brought him home and placed him in bed immediately. After a couple of days it was seen that the boy's condition had become serious and Doctor St. Clair was summoned when it was found that inflammation of the leg had set in, and on August 31st the little chap died of pneumonia. It is held that death was caused directly by the beating Ivany received with the dogfish in Penney's hand. Circuit Court is to be held in Trinity at the end of this month and Mr. C. J. Fox, M.H.A. will be in charge of the Crown case.



Page Contributed by: Chris Shelley
Transcribed by John Baird

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Thursday December 04, 2014)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]