Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Daily News


Microfilm from National Library of Canada
Daily News
St. John's, Newfoundland
N/J FM 1028
Jan. -Mar. 1923

Fri. Jan 5, 1923

. Yesterday morning at 6:30 there passed away at the General Hospital, Alex McKinley, one of the best known and certainly one of the best liked Marine Engineers in Newfoundland. Mr. McKinley was apparently in perfect health up to a few weeks ago, when an internal complaint made it necessary for him to enter the Hospital, though even then his condition was not believed to be dangerous. After an operation he appeared for some weeks to be improving and all is friends expected his full recovery, but it was not t be. On Monday last his illness took a turn and despite all that could be done for him by the Hospital staff, both Doctors and nurses alike were most painstaking and attentive, the end came yesterday morning to the great sorrow of his family and numerous friends. Alex McKinley was a native of Glasgow and came to St. John's some thirty-six years ago, to the Foundry which stood where the Furness Withy premises now stands, the Proprietor of which was his uncle, Hugh Gemmell. Two years later he joined the firm Bowring Bros., as Chief Engineer of the S.S. Eagle. He spent thirty-four years with this firm serving as Chief Engineer in several other ships. Chief Engineer McKinley of the S.S. Prospero is his brother. Alexander McKinley was a true Scot, an adherent of the Presbyterian Church, member of St. Andrew's Society and was well known as a Freemason and member of St. John's Lodge, No. 579 A.F. & A.M. He was in his early years a prominent footballer. He was a man of the highest integrity and the soul of honor. His wife, who came to Newfoundland shortly after his arrival, a son, Joseph who bore a noble part in the great war, a daughter Mrs. Alan Barnes, five brothers and two sisters are left to mourn a kind and loving husband, father and brother, and many who have known him since coming to Newfoundland will regret the loss of a good friend who was a true friend to many in need. To those nearest and dearest to him the whole community goes out in sympathy and the NEWS desires to add its expression of condolence. A FRIEND AND NEIGHBOR.

- Passed peacefully away at Upper Island Cove, after a long illness, Annie Hussey, beloved daughter of Joseph and Rose Hussey, aged 14 years, leaving a father, mother, 2 sisters and 2 brothers to mourn their sad loss.

CHAFE - At Petty Hr. , on the 3rd inst. , Ellen, beloved wife of the late John Chafe, aged 87 years, leaving to mourn one son and four daughters.

McKINLAY - At the General Hospital, at 6:30 yesterday morning, Alexander, beloved husband of Mary McKinley, aged 60 years, leaving a son, daughter and grandchild, also five brothers and two sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Saturday at 2:30 p.m. from his late residence 21 Cook Street.


Mon. Jan 8 1923


PENNY - Passed peacefully away on the 6th inst. , after a tedious illness, Bridget Perfect, aged 76 years, wife of Robert Penny. Funeral takes place on Monday, 8th inst., at 2:30 p.m. from her late residence 29 Hayward Avenue.

BROPHY - At the home of her nieces, Misses E. and M. Dawson, Bay Roberts, on Friday, December 29, 1922, Mary Brophy, formerly of Brigus. The deceased was born at Callan Co. Kilkenney, Ireland, 86 years ago. She is survived by one sister residing at Lynn, Mass. Funeral took place on Sunday afternoon after the burial service at the Church by Rev. Dr. Whelan. Her remains were laid to rest in the R.C. Cemetery, Bay Roberts. - R.I.P.

HEALEY - On January 7, after a long illness, Ellen, the beloved wife of the late Edward Healey, aged 84 years, leaving to mourn 4 sons, 2 daughters, funeral on Wednesday at 2.30 p.m. from her daughter's residence 42 Pleasant Street.

GARLAND - Passed peacefully away on the 6th inst. , Gertie, aged 23 years, darling daughter of James and Alfreda Garland, leaving to mourn father and mother, 2 sisters, 3 brothers. Funeral on Monday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence 54 Carter's Hill. Friends please attend without further notice.
A precious one from us is gone,
The voice we loved is still,
A place is vacant in our home,
Which never can be filled.


Thur. Jan 11, 1923


Death of Capt. Edward English Sr.
The passing of Captain Edward English, Sr. , which sad event took place at 1 p.m. yesterday at the ripe age of 76 years, removes from our midst one of our best known master mariners, and one who was highly esteemed and revered for his sterling worth by all classes in the community. Possessed of a rugged constitution he was a typical Newfoundlander, and was "every inch a sailor", one who did not enter by the cabin window, but began at the bottom and went through all his degrees until he reached the top of his profession. Born in St. John's in 1846, he was a son of the late Edward and Margaret English. He was educated at St. Bonaventure's College, and early took to the sea, making his first voyage when 17 years of age in the old Bloodhound. Four years later he was a mate, and became master two years later studying navigation in Glasgow, and he also possessed an extra master's certificate. For eighteen years he was sailing out of Canadian, English and American ports, and in 1884 after having commanded a vessel of his own for three years he retired from seafaring life and for several years engaged in the commission business. He was subsequently appointed assistant examiner of masters and mates, and in 1890 he received the position of examiner in chief, and was appointed Harbour Master. This position he filled with entire satisfaction for close on thirty years, being a painstaking and obliging official, while his experience and good judgment were ever sought when matters of marine importance came up for discussion. In 1919 he retired from active service, but until recent months, when ill health came upon him, he took an active interest in all public affairs. He was succeeded as Harbour Master by his son, Capt. Edward English, Jr. Deceased was Hon. Agent for the English Mercantile Association, and was Secretary to the Pilot Commissioner's Board. He was an Honorary member of the Regatta Committee, in which for years he always took an active and prominent part, and was also a member of Terra Nova Council Knights of Columbus. He married in 1876 Miss Annie Whelan, who survives him as well as two sons, Capt. Edward English, Jr. , the present Harbour Master, Frank, now in the States and two daughters, Mrs. B. Scanlan of New York, and Miss Annie at home, to whom sympathy of all will be extended in their hour of sorrow. The funeral takes place on tomorrow Friday at 2.30 p.m. from his son's residence 14 Queens Road.


A very pretty and quiet wedding took place on Tuesday morning at the Chapel of our Lady of Mercy, Military Road, when Miss Christine McGuire, daughter of Mr. John B. McGuire, Henry Street, was united in the silken bonds of matrimony to Mr. John S. O'Flaherty, son of Mrs. J. O'Flaherty, LeMarchant Road. The ceremony was performed by His Grace Archbishop Roche assisted by Rev. W. O'Flaherty, brother of the groom. The bride was attended by her sister Miss McGuire, and the groom was supported by Mr. W.P. Meehan. After the ceremony a light luncheon was served at the home of the bride's parents after which the happy couple left by express for Holyrood where the honeymoon will be spent. The presents received were many and useful testifying to the popularity of the bride and groom.


Fri. Jan 12, 1923


Schr. Lost at Witless Bay.
The Deputy Minister of Customs received the following message yesterday from L. Mullowney J.P. , Witless Bay:-"Schooner Eleanor E. Kinsella master, bound from Ferryland to St. John's went ashore some part of the Southern Shore of Witless Bay Wednesday evening. No sign of hull could be seen this morning. The crew landed safely."  It is understood the vessel was coming here with fish cargo and went ashore in Wednesday's storm.


Wed. Jan 17, 1923


O'DRISCOLL - Passed peacefully away at 6.30 a.m. Tuesday, Elizabeth, widow of the late Thomas O'Driscoll, Mobile, leaving 3 daughters and one son and two sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral takes place at 2.30 p.m. tomorrow, Thursday, from the residence of her son-in-law S. P. Cullen, 94 Patrick Street. Friends will please accept this the only intimation. - R.I.P.


Fri. Jan. 26, 1923


To-day's obituary column contains the name of Joseph Hayward Pike who died at San Francisco on January 9th. Mr. Pike was born at Carbonear on August 20th, 1854. At the age of three years his family moved to Harbour Grace where he was educated at the Grammar School, under Principal J. J. Roddick, father of the present Sir Thomas Roddick. Later he entered the firm of Ridley and Company, leaving for Canada when the firm ceased operations. For a year he resided at Yarmouth, N.S. , thereafter going to Chicago where he remained for some years. For the past quarter of a century he has been prominent in San Francisco commercial circles, carrying on a business as J. H. Pike & Co. Two brothers only out of a very large family are now living, the Rev. John Martin Pike of Columbia, South Carolina, U.S.A. , and Mr. Nathaniel Pike of Grand Falls.

After a long illness Captain Drake dropped anchor in the haven of rest yesterday afternoon. Whilst his recovery had not been hoped for, death come when it will, comes suddenly, and no amount of forewarning will lessen the shock of sorrow and regret. A master-mariner of the best type, genial, sturdy, loyal and trusted, Capt. Drake was held in general esteem and respect. He succeeded Capt. Delaney on the S.S. Bruce, and at his death as Ship's Husband for the Reid Nfld. Company. He leaves two children, John Drake of Granite City, Vermont, and Miss Drake of St. John's. To them, and especially to the devoted daughter who has so gently ministered to her beloved father in his long illness, the sympathy of all their friends go forth in this time of sorrow and sore bereavement. For him - there was no moaning at the bar, when he put out to sea.


Tues. Feb. 13, 1923


At the Oratory of the Sacred Heart, Convent of Mercy, Military Road, on Monday, the 12 inst. At 8 a.m. by the Rt. Rev. Monsignor McDermott, Gertrude O'Leary to William Meehan, both of this city.


PIKE - On Feb. 10th, 1923, at Carbonear, Emily, wife of Mark W. Pike, and second daughter of the late Capt. Charles Forward.

ROSS - Suddenly yesterday morning, Elizabeth, beloved wife of Hector Ross. Funeral on Wednesday at 3 p.m. from her late residence, 14 Victoria Street. O'NEIL - There passed peacefully away on Sunday, the 11th inst. , Mary, relict of the late John O'Neill, aged 82 years, leaving a son and sister. Funeral on to-day at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence, 14 Barter's Hill. R.I.P.


Misses Mina and Annie Vatcher of Freshwater, B.D.V. wish to express their sincere thanks to all their kind friends who sent messages and letters of condolence and those who helped in any way to alleviate their great sorrow in the death of their dear mother.


Tues. Feb 20, 1923


Killed at Bermuda.
Yesterday forenoon Mr. P. F. Moore, M.H.A. , received the following message from Hon. J. P. Hand, Bermuda: "Deeply regret inform you Patrick Mulcahy of Bay Bulls, killed by accident this morning inform Rev. Fr. O'Brien. Please convey my deepest sympathy to family."  Immediately on receipt of the tragic information Mr. Moore wired the Rev. Fr. O'Brien, P.P. , of Bay Bulls who broke the sad tidings to the bereaved family. No particulars as to how the fatality occurred have been received but fuller details will be received from Hon. Mr. Hand in due course. The unfortunate young man left here about three weeks ago and his tragic passing comes as a terrible blow to his parents and relatives. It is understood the body will be interred at Bermuda.


Mon. Mar. 5, 1923


PEET - On Sunday, March 4th, a daughter to Mr. And Mrs. Gordon N. Peet, 71/2 Carter's Hill.


BURKE - Passed peacefully away at Brigus, Saturday, March 3rd, borne wih Christian resignation to the Devine will and fortified by the rites of the Holy Catholic Church, Anne Marie relict of the late Capt. James Burke, aged 78 years. A large circle of relatives are left to mourn. (Sydney papers please copy).

OLIVER - On March 3rd, after a short illness of pneumonia, Peter Oliver, aged 73. He leaves to mourn a widow and one daughter. Funeral takes place this afternoon at 2.30 o'clock from his late residence 14 Pilot's Hill. R.I.P.

BAGGS - On March 3rd, after a short illness, Mary, beloved wife of Joseph Baggs, aged 70 years. She leaves to mourn her sad loss a husband, two sons and two daughters. Funeral to-day Monday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence 33 Adelaide Street.


Wed. Mar. 7, 1923


Particulars of Patrick Mulcahy's Death at Bermuda

Particulars of the sad fatality on February 19th last when Patrick Mulcahy of Bay Bulls one of the workmen employed there lost his life, were received yesterday by Mr. P. Grace of Harvey & Co.'s. It appears that at the time Mulcahy together with others of the party were working in the sand hole and the heavy rain of the previous day must have loosened the embankment in front of the unfortunate man and one of his companions named Hoddinott, with the result that it caved in on top of them. Hoddinott had his arm broken, and received some severe bruises, but is not seriously injured, but poor Mulcahy was killed almost immediately. When it was seen that his condition was serious a Priest was called and was present when he breathed his last, a fact that will bring consolation for his mother and family. The accident cast a gloom over the works, as the young man was well liked about the place, being very quiet and reliable and all were soy because of his un-timely passing. For two days the body, reposed in the church at Hamilton, and each night the Newfoundlanders repaired there and recited the Rosary and prayers for the dead. Through the Hon. J. P. Hand and Mr. P. F. Moore, M.H.A. arrangements were made to have the remains sent home for burial and on the 23rd inst. The funeral to the ship took place, all the Newfoundlanders attended while a profusion of wreaths and flowers were sent to adorn the coffin, from Newfoundland friends and others. The remains are coming via St. John N.B. and it is possible are on the Digby due this week, or else they will arrive by the next Rosalind. The Newfoundlanders now working at Bermuda are making arrangements to have a memorial tablet erected to their companion's memory in the Parish Church at Bay Bulls, which is a very thoughtful act on their part. The young man Hoddinott, who had his arm broken is doing well, and will be able to leave the Hospital within a few weeks as the fracture is not a bad one. The Hon. Mr. Hand feels very keenly the unfortunate happening, and has done all in his power on behalf of the relatives of the deceased.


Mon. Mar. 12, 1923


Body Arrived by Digby.
The body of the young man Patrick Mulcahey, who was killed at Bermuda on the 19th of last month, arrived here by the Digby. The remains were enclosed in a beautiful casket, and on being landed at the Furness Pier yesterday forenoon, were put on board the S. S. Cabot which took them to Bay Bulls. Messrs. P. J. Cashin and P. F. Moore, M.H.A. accompanying them on the ship which left here at 10 and arrived at Bay Bulls at 11:30 in the height of the blizzard that was then raging. As she steamed in the harbor with flag at half-mast all the people of the settlement assembled on the pier. The casket was taken on shore and the large concourse of citizens, accompanied it to the home of the heart-broken father and mother. The funeral will take place to-day when all that is mortal of the promising young man will be laid to rest in the little churchyard. For the grief stricken parents there is general sympathy in their hour of trial.


Sat. Mar. 31, 1923


News of a third fatality came to hand last evening at 6 o'clock, when Patrick Raymond, John Fitzell, and George Rideout, of the Goulds, Bay Bulls Road, brought the body of Peter Raymond to the morgue. Deceased left his home at 8 o'clock Thursday morning with his horse and slide to go in the woods for a load of firewood. He was apparently returning when overtaken by the storm and lost his way. On Thursday night, when he failed to return, relatives became alarmed and a number of men from the settlement organized a search party, and scoured the woods in the vicinity all night. Yesterday morning, Raymond who is a cousin of the deceased and Fitzell and Rideout located the frozen body some six miles from home. The body was found ??? a short distance from the horse, which had been unharnessed, while the slide with the load of wood was also in the vicinity. The unfortunate man when he saw that he had gone astray apparently released the horse from the slide in the hope that the animal would find the way out but he was evidently too far gone and sank in the snow and smothered. The horse was alive and was brought along by the rescuers. At the morgue last night a post mortem was held by Dr. Anderson, after which Sir M. P. Cashin and Mr. P. F. Moore had the body taken in charge by Undertaker J. T. Martin and prepared for burial, and it was taken to his late home last night. Deceased who was forty nine years of age, was a widower and is survived by an only daughter for whom there will be great sympathy.


Microfilm from National Library of Canada
Daily News
St. John's, Newfoundland
N/J FM 1028
Apr. 1923


Mon. Apr. 2, 1923


Victim of Thursday's Blizzard Laid to Rest.
The funeral of the late Peter Raymond, of the Goulds, one of the victims of Thursday night's blizzard, took place yesterday afternoon. Every resident of the little settlement, as well as from adjacent places attended the funeral, while among the visitors from the city were Messrs. P. J. Cashin and P. F. Moore. In the little cemetery near the parish church interment took place, the prayers at the graveside being recited by the Rev. Fr. Tierney of Petty Harbour. The tragic passing of the deceased, who was highly esteemed, has cast a gloom over the settlement.


MUNN - On Easter Sunday morning, to Mr. And Mrs. Errol Munn, a son.


ENGLISH - Passed peacefully away on Sunday, April 1st, at 1 p.m. after a lingering illness, Margaret, daughter of the late John and Elizabeth English. Funeral on to-morrow, Tuesday, at 2.30 p.m. from her brother's residence, 28 Dick's Square.

LEE - On Easter Sunday, after a short illness Elizabeth Lee, whose husband predeceased her some years ago. She leave two daughters, Mrs. P. Walsh and Mrs. P. Markey. Funeral from her daughter's residence, 103 Duckworth Street, on Tuesday at 2.30 p.m. Friends of the family are kindly requested to attend. Jesus have mercy on her.

BRODERS - At Torbay on Saturday, Margaret, relict of the late Edward Broders, and eldest daughter of the late Richard and Margaret Dunne of Harbour Grace, leaving to mourn two daughters, Rev. Mother Gabriel at Torbay and Sister M. Joseph at East Boston, and one only brother, Mr. Patrick Dunne, of this City.
Rest in Peace.


Mon. Apr. 9, 1923


DARCY - Saturday, April 7th, after a tedious illness Mary, beloved wife of Michael Darcy aged 31 years, leaving a husband to mourn his sad loss. Funeral takes place to-morrow Tuesday, at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence, Kilbride. Friends and acquaintances please attend without further notice.

GUSHUE - Suddenly at 9.30 o'clock last night, James Gushue in his 54th year. Funeral from his late residence 115 Patrick Street on tomorrow Tuesday at 2.30 p.m. No flowers please.

DONOVAN - On Saturday evening after a short illness, John F. only son of Margaret and the late John Donovan aged 44 years. Funeral today (Monday) from his late residence, Quidi Vidi Road. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further notice.


Tues. April 10, 1923


MacLEAN - At Bell Island, April 5th, to Mr. And Mrs. J. Archie MacLean, a daughter.

ASH - On Sunday April 8th, at Southcott Hospital, a daughter to Mr. And Mrs. Leonard Ash.


TOBIN - At Witless Bay on April 6th, there passed away calm and peacefully a highly respected old lady in the person of Catherine Tobin, aged 84 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are one son Nicholas Tobin residing at Bell Island, also three daughters, two at Brooklyn, N. Y. and one at Witless Bay.


Wed. Apr. 25, 1923


Early Morning Blaze Claims Victim.
At 3.45 this morning a fire was discovered on a house on Spencer St., and an alarm was sent in but in the excitement it was not properly rung in and was not received at the station. Two men ran to the Fire Hall and told the Guard of the whereabouts of the conflagration. The Central and Eastern Companies immediately responded and found the residence of Mr. Thomas Donovan, at the head of Spencer Street, in flames. Mr. Donovan, with his wife and three children, aged mother, uncle and aunt, lived in the house. All these people, with the exception of the uncle, who was 85 years of age, occupied rooms on the upper storey and it was with great difficulty that they were rescued. The flames spread so rapidly through the building that Mrs. Donovan was trapped in her room and with a baby in her arms, she jumped from the window to the ground and was injured so that the doctor had to be called. The uncle, James Donovan, although sleeping downstairs was unable to get out and he was burnt to death. At 4.45 when the flames died down the body of the unfortunate man was found in the kitchen, the charred remains being in a sitting position on a chair, and they were at once removed to the morgue. The efforts of the firemen to combat the blaze were unavailing and at 5 o'clock only the walls remained, the contents being completely destroyed. No insurance was carried and the occupants lost everything they possessed and are now absolutely homeless and without a shred of clothing. The tragedy of the death of his uncle upon Mr. Donovan as a crushing blow and the sympathy of the entire community is extended to him and his family.


Thurs. Apr. 26, 1923


ROWE - On April 25th at Southcott Hospital to Rev, W. J. and Mrs. Rowe, Smith Sound, Trinity Bay, a daughter.


MERCER-WHITEWAY - On April 25th at George St. Church by Rev. R. E. Fairbairn, Snowden S. Mercer of Bay Roberts to Florence Whiteway of St. John's.


ROGERS - Last night after a short illness, Bridget, relict of the late Richard Rogers, aged 64 years. Funeral on Friday at 2.30 from her late residence, 18 Hutchings Street. R.I.P.

DONOVAN - Yesterday morning, from fatal burning, James, beloved husband of Fanny Miller, aged 85 years. Funeral from his sister's residence, 14 Prospect St. on to-day (Thursday) at 2.30 p.m. Friends and acquaintances please accept this, the only intimation.


Tues. May 1, 1923


KELLY - On Sunday, April 29th, a son to J. F. and Mrs. Kelly, Gower Street.


CHAFE - Died at 4.30 Monday morning, April 30th Mr. Henry Chafe, South Side, Petty Harbour, aged sixty-five years, leaving a wife, one son, three daughters, one brother and a nephew, all residing at Petty Harbour. Funeral takes place at Petty Harbour on Wednesday at 2.30.

BOONE - On April 30th, at the General Hospital, John Boone, leaving wife, 5 sisters and one brother to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Wednesday at 3 o'clock from Cook's Farm (Long Pond Road). Friends please accept this the only intimation.


Tues. May29, 1923


EARLE - Died at 1 p.m. Monday May 28th aged 17 years. Muriel daughter of Francis Gertrude and the late William Earle. Funeral from her mother's residence 19 Gower Street Wednesday at 2:45 p.m.


The funeral of the late James Boone will take place from his residence 22 Belvidere Street at 2:30 today. Friends and acquaintances please accept this the only intimation. R.I.P


Mrs. Charles Harvey desires to sincerely thank all of those who so kindly helped her Entertainment on Empire Day in aid of the Girl Guides Association

Mr. and Mrs. Leonard Ash acknowledge with deep gratitude the kindly action of all those who sent wreaths to adorn the casket of their little daughter Jean, and to those also who hastened to send and to voice expressions of sympathy on the irreparable loss of one they loved so well.


Mon. June 18, 1923


Sir M. P. Cashin Presents Memorial To the Goulds
At 8 p.m. yesterday a meeting of the residents of the Goulds, Bay Bulls Road, was held at the home of Thomas Bowe, when practically all the male portion of the settlement were present. The object of the meeting was to form a committee to commemorate the brave lads of the Goulds who laid down their lives in the great war. Amongst those present were Major P. Cashin, and Mr. P. F. Moore, the representatives of the District, and Sir M. P. Cashin, the late member. Sir Michael, who had been especially invited, when the object of the meeting was explained, very generously offered to present the memorial to the settlement. He felt that after their loyalty to him during 30 years of public life, he owed them something in return. Sir Michael's generous offer was received with hearty approval and Mr. P. F. Moore, on behalf of the residents thanked him for his gift, which he was sure would be a monument worthy of the brave lads who had gone. The Goulds, though a small settlement, probably established a record during the war, as practically every lad of military age responded, no less than seventy being on the roll and of those, seven never returned. The memorial will be erected in the little cemetery near the Parish church, and a committee was appointed to make the necessary arrangements with the Parish Priest, the Rev. - Father Tierney.


Thurs. June 21, 1923


A Heavy Loss
On Saturday afternoon last at Torbay the dwelling house of Edward Kinsella was completely destroyed by fire. He was away in the woods at the time and his daughter-in-law who keeps house for him, was in the City. There was no one left in the house and how the fire originated is a mystery. When Mr. Kinsella returned from the woods, he found but the blackened ruins of what had been a comfortable home. No article of any kind was saved and in addition to the loss of all his clothing and furniture Mr. Kinsella lost in the fire an amount in cash which he represented the savings of a life time. He is a man well advanced in years and finds himself absolutely destitute. This case should appeal to the charitably disposed as a worthy one.


Thurs. June 28, 1923


Last evening at St. Joseph's Hoylestown by the Rev. Fr. Pippy, Miss Hettie Marshall to Mr. Wm. Gillis, both of this city.


SNOW - Passed peacefully away at General Hospital last evening of meningitis, Dora, beloved daughter of late Capt. John Snow, of Fogo, leaving mother, step-father, one sister and one brother to mourn their sad loss. Funeral at 2.30 Friday afternoon from the residence of her mother Mrs. Robert Perchard, 37 Bambrick Street.

MULLINS - Suddenly last evening Mary, beloved wife of J. R. Mullins, H.M.C. , leaving husband, brother, sister, 2 sons and 5 daughters to mourn. Funeral at 2.30 Friday afternoon from her late residence, 3 Parade Street. - R.I.P. - American and Canadian papers please copy.

HOWLETT - There passed peacefully away yesterday at his home on Water Street West, Martin, darling child of William and Bride Howlett. Funeral on Friday at 2 p.m.
May his soul rest in peace.


Mon. July 23, 1923


ABBOTT - On Sunday morning, Emily, beloved wife of Alponsus Abbott. Funeral on Tuesday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence 20 Pennywell Road. - R.I.P.

O'BRIEN - At noon Sunday July 22nd, after a long illness, Margaret Walsh, widow of the late Patrick O'Brien, aged 75 years, leaving 2 sons, 1 daughter, 2 brothers, and 1 sister to mourn her sad loss. Funeral on Tuesday at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence 71 Cabot Street. Friends and relatives please accept this the only intimation. - R.I.P.


Fri. Aug 24, 1923


Resident of Mobile Killed In Boston
The remains of the late Daniel Fitzgerald who was accidentally killed at Boston on Aug. 16th, arrived by the Sylvia yesterday, and were taken to his home at Mobile last evening where interment takes place at 2 p.m. tomorrow. Deceased who is a son of Mr. Thomas Fitzgerald was one of the most popular young men on the Southern Shore, his kind and genial disposition endearing him to all. He left here some time ago for Boston where he had previously worked and it is understood was employed by a construction firm when the fatality occurred. Deceased is survived by his father and two sisters, one of the latter being Sister Carmel, of Littledale. His two cousins, Mrs. Devine, and Miss Badcock, accompanied the remains from Boston.


Sat. Aug 25, 1923


Sailor Washed Overboard And Drowned
The Fisheries Department received a message yesterday from Capt. Renouf of the Farquhar steamer Stella Maris, stating that James Lomond, one of the crew and belonging to Channel was washed overboard and drowned at 1.15 p.m. Wednesday in heavy weather. Everything possible was done to rescue the unfortunate man but without success. The Stella Maris left here at 5 p.m. Tuesday and met the full force of Wednesday's breeze. The ship was bound to Halifax but put into St. Pierre where the message was sent from.


Fri. Aug 31, 1923


Double Funeral at Mobile
The little settlement of Mobile on the Southern Shore was the scene of much sorrow on Saturday last 25th when two of its most promising young residents were laid to rest in the little Cemetery on the hill, one being the late Mr. Daniel Fitzgerald, whose sad death occurred in Boston and whose remains arrived by the S. S. Silvia, the other being the late Mr. Stephen Dillon, son of Nicholas Dillon who after an illness of many months, in spite of best medical skill and all that loving care could do, passed peacefully away on the 24th inst. Both of the deceased were very popular and the large numbers from Ferryland to Bay Bulls attending the funerals amply testified to the high esteem in which the deceased were held by their many friends and others along the Shore. The Parish Church was filled for the funeral service. The prayers for the dead were recited and the final absolution given by the Rev. J. Coady, P.P. , and then the funerals wended their way to the little cemetery and all that was mortal of these two promising young residents were laid to rest with their dear departed, there to await the final resurrection.

Thurs. Sept 13, 1923


On Wednesday, September 11th, at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist a very pretty wedding was solemnized, the contracting parties being Miss Winifred Reid, fourth daughter of Mr. and Mrs. W. H. Reid of this city, and Mr. William A. Bastow, son of Mr. and Mrs. M. Bastow also of this city. The bride who was daintily attired in a gown of ivory crepe-de-chine with over dress of silver embroidered net with hat to match and carrying a bouquet of carnations, sweet peas and maiden hair ferns, entered the Church leaning on the arm of her uncle, Mr. Walter H. Reid and was attended by her sister, Miss Mabel Reid and Miss Marjorie Bastow, sister of the groom. The bridesmaids were beautifully gowned in sax crepe-de-chine with black beaver hats and carried bouquets of pink and white asters. The groom was ably assisted by Mr. Malcolm Stone. The groom's present to the bride was a handsome pearl lavilier and to the bridesmaids birthday rings. Following the ceremony, throughout which very appropriate music was rendered by the Organist, Mr. F. J. King, a reception was held at Donovan's where Rev. Canon Bolt proposed the health of the bride which was responded to by the groom. The groom proposed the health of the bridesmaids which was responded to by Mr. Malcolm Stone, best man. Only the immediate relatives of the contracting parties were present. Mr. and Mrs. Bastow were the recipients of many handsome presents, testifying to the esteem in which they are held. Amidst showers of congratulations and good wishes the happy couple left by motor for Holyrood where the honeymoon will be spent.



Page Contributed by: Chris Shelley
Transcribed by John Baird

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Thursday December 04, 2014)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]