Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

1912 Newspaper Look-ups
The St. John's Daily News

As my time was limited, I was only able to get a few entries for this year.

Thur. Aug. 22, 1912


"They are going o'er the ocean,
Far away across the sea;
They are leaving Terra Nova,
'Tis a thing that shouldn't be!
Employment should be found them,
Then they need not have to roam,
We should do our best endeavours
For to keep our girls at home.

Up to the railway station
On last Sunday I did stray,
And while there I noticed
Females who were bound away;
They were fifteen left for Moncton,
For St. Andrew's fifteen more;
All fair Terra Nova's daughters
Whom we never may see more.

We can ill-afford to lose them,
For our numbers are but small,
And I'm sure that Terra Nova
Can find bread and work for all;
If all only toiled together
With our shoulders to the wheel
For to show that we were really
Working for our country's weal.

It is true that they are leaving
To engage at honest toil;
It is true that Nova Scotia
Is a rich productive soil.
But I think it were far better,
If they toiled beneath our dome;
So we should be up and doing
For to keep our girls at home.

It is sad to see the mothers
Parting with their daughters, dear;
It is sad to see the brothers
Bid adieu to sisters fair;
Shaking hands, maybe, for ever,
On their own dear native earth,
Sadly weeping as they sever
From the land that gave them birth.

So now let us be united
With the one great cause at heart,
For to keep our country's daughters
From their native land to part;
Oh, come let us try to hinder
This migration o'er the foam.
Let us do our best endeavours
For to keep our girls at home!"

St. John's, Aug. 20, 1912

Fri. Aug. 23, 1912


A quiet wedding took place on Wednesday afternoon at the residence of the groom's parents at Carbonear, when Miss Josephine PENNEY, third daughter of Capt. Josiah PENNEY, J.P., was united in matrimony to Mr. James PIKE, second son of Capt. James and Mrs. PIKE of the Beach. The bride, who was attired in a travelling costume, was attended by her sisters, Misses Grace and Emma PENNEY, Mr. Fred PIKE, Manager of the Walsh, Alberta, branch of the Merchants' Bank of Canada, supporting his brother. Only the immediate families of the contracting parties were present. After the ceremony the happy couple joined the train for St. John's, sailing yesterday by the City of Sydney for Montreal en route to Camrose, Alberta, where the groom is Manager of the branch of the Merchants Bank of Canada. The young couple are very popular in Carbonear, and left amid a shower of greetings and presents. In the chorus of congratulations, the "News" cordially unites. The Rev. James PINCOCK officiated at the ceremony.

Mon. Aug. 26, 1912


On Saturday morning, Eleanor Florence, beloved wife of Ralph McL. BISHOP, and daughter of S. S. STENTATORD, ESQ., of Heart's Content, aged 27 years. Funeral this afternoon at 3 o'clock, from her late residence, Leslie Street.

On Sunday, 25th inst., John DOWNS, Tailor, aged 75 years. Funeral on Tuesday, at 2.30 p.m., from his late residence, 95 Carter's Hill. Friends will please accept this, the only intimation. - R.I.P.

On the 24th inst., after a long illness, Richard NEVILLE, aged 61 years. Funeral on Tuesday, at 1 o'clock, from his late residence, Topsail Road. Friends please accept this, the only intimation.


The friends of Mrs. Ralph BISHOP were plunged into grief on Saturday when the announcement was made that she had passed away that morning at the early age of 27, after a brief illness. Mrs. BISHOP was a daughter of Mr. S. S. STENTAFORD, of Heart's Content; Mrs. Alexr. DIAMOND of this city, and Mrs. SMITH of Heart's Content, are her sisters, and Dr. STENTAFORD, of Carbonear, a brother. Two infants, one only a few days old, are left with the bereaved father, Mr. Ralph BISHOP, of Bishop, Sons & Co. Ltd., to mourn their irreparable loss. A peculiar pathos attaches to her passing, as the family were anxiously awaiting news of Miss Stella BISHOP, her sister-in-law, and only daughter of the Hon. R. K. BISHOP, who was critically ill at Brighton, England. To the sorrowing family we voice the deep and general sympathy. The funeral takes place this afternoon at 3 o'clock, from her late residence, Leslie Street.

Tue. Aug. 27, 1912


Yesterday the Minister of Marine and Fisheries received the following startling message from Dr. GRENFELL. It was sent from the "S.S. Strathcona" by wireless, and came via Fogo: -

"Regret to report five drownings on August 23rd, at Independent, Labrador, Capt. William DAWE and Richard JACKSON of Bay Roberts; William SPENCER, of Coley's Point; James HOLMES and Edward HOLMES, of Shearstown. Their boat capsized in a heavy sea. The body of Edward HOLMES was recovered on Sunday."

Capt. William DAWE was the son of Capt. John DAWE, of Bay Roberts, and a nephew of Capt. Eli DAWE, formerly Minister of Marine and Fisheries. He was one of the most prominent of the younger men of Bay Roberts; - held in general esteem and admiration, embodying in himself the traditions of a long line of splendid seamen; - a "captain courageous." Those who knew him speak of him as a man, whose spared life would have proved a blessing to his native town and his country. He was married, and leaves several children.

So far as can be ascertained, all the others were also married. Richard JACKSON was a young man with a wife and one child. William SPENCER leaves a wife and four children; Jas. HOLMES is the son of George HOLMES, and is survived by a widow and six children. Edward HOLMES is married, but of the five, is the only one without children.

The heartbroken widows, the bereaved children, and the stricken parents and relatives will have sincere and widespread sympathy in their bitter sorrow. Another sad death from drowning is reported in our telegraphic columns from East Wabana.

Fri. Aug. 30, 1912


At Wesley Church, yesterday afternoon, at 3 o'clock, Miss Gertrude Isabel ROBERTS, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. A. ROBERTS, Hamilton Avenue, and Mr. Reginald DOWDEN, son of Mr. and Mrs. W. DOWDEN, William St., were united in matrimony, the Church being filled with guests and friends of the bride and groom. The officiating clergyman was Rev. F. R. MATTHEWS, B.A., pastor of the Church. The bride, who was attired in Liberti satin, under white net, and wore a veil and wreath of orange blossoms, with a bouquet of carnations and maidenhair ferns, entered the church leaning on the arm of her father, who gave her away. She was attended by her sister, Miss Nellie ROBERTS, and Mrs. Jennie DOWDEN, sister of the groom, both of whom were gowned in cream silk, with picture hats to match. The groom was attended by his nephew, Mr. W. EDWARDS. The present to the bride from the groom was a handsome bracelet, and to the bridesmaids, gold rings. When the bride entered the Church, organist PRATT played the hymn, "The voice that breathed o'er Eden," and after the ceremony as the couple were leaving the Church, Mendelssohn's wedding march. Leaving the Church, the bridal party and guests drove to Smithville, where a reception was held, which lasted until near midnight. After dinner, the health of the bride and groom was proposed by Rev. Mr. MATTHEWS, and the health of the bride's and groom's parents by Mr. H. Y. MOTT. The groom, in a very felicitous speech, responded. Dancing followed, in which both old and young engaged. At 10 o'clock, Mr. and Mrs. DOWDEN left by motor for Ferndale, where they will remain until tomorrow afternoon, when they join the Red Cross steamer Florizel for New York, where the honeymoon will be spent, return here being made about the end of September. The presents received were very many and costly, including several cheques. The "News" joins with the many friends of the happy couple in wishing them continued happiness through matrimonial life.

OXTON-TRENBATH Seldom has a wedding enhanced Wallasey's reputation for doing things prettily more than that which took place on Wednesday afternoon at St. Mary's Church, Manor Road. Every arrangement was excellent, and though the day was so extremely showery, no trace of gloom or disappointment allowed itself to mar the harmony of the auspicious occasion.

The bride was Miss Edith OXTON, eldest daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Albert OXTON, Caithness-drive, Liscard, and the groom, Mr. Harold V. TRENBATH, second son of Mr. William TRENBATH, Ennerdale Road, New Brighton. Both are very popular young people, and it was only to be expected that much friendly interest should be centered in their marriage. The church, refreshingly decorated with many palms and flowering plants, afforded ample proof of this, for it was well filled, quite early, with fashionably clad relatives and friends.

The officiating clergy were the Rev. J. SHAW and the Rev. A. E. SIMPSON (vicar), and the ceremony was very impressive, even more so than usual, perhaps because of the fact that the former reverend gentlemen married the bride's father and mother years ago. Presiding at the organ was Mr. SMITH-WOODS, and the service, fully choral, included the hymns, "The Voice that breathed o'er Eden" and "O Perfect Love." The bridal party was met at the church door and preceded to the altar by the choir, singing the first processional hymn, and as they moved slowly up the aisle the bride and her attendant maids of honor formed as dainty a picture as could be imagined. Mr. OXTON gave his daughter away. At the conclusion of the service Mr. SMITH-WOODS' position at the organ was taken by the bride's brother, Mr. Bert OXTON, who rendered Mendelssohn's "Wedding March" with much skill and clearness. Young as he is, Mr. OXTON displays considerable knowledge and taste, and promises to become a very fine musician. The best man was the groom's eldest brother, Mr. Ernest TRENBATH - "Wallasey News" Aug 3. (The bride is a niece of Mrs. (Head Constable) PEET of this city.

At 7 yesterday morning, Miss May HICKEY of the West End was united in matrimony to Mr. W. BROWN, of Hon. J. D. RYAN's employ, at Saint Patrick's Church, the ceremony being performed by Rev. J. PIPPY. The bride was attired in cream silk with hat to match, and was attended by her sister, Miss Helen HICKEY. Mr. P. THOMPSON supported the groom. The groom's present to the bride was a gold bracelet, and to the bridesmaid a gold ring. After the ceremony a wedding breakfast was partaken of at the residence of the bride's mother, and by the 8.45 train the newly married couple left for Topsail where the honeymoon will be spent. The "News" extends congratulations.

Yesterday afternoon while Doctor SCULLY was motoring up Barter's Hill, and when almost opposite Finn's Street, a lad who has an aim equal to "Bill" Tell, dropped a stone on the doctor's head, and with such force that a slight cut was inflicted. The doctor, in rather quick time, overtook the youngster, and prescribed for him in a very fatherly manner. There is general complaint about boys throwing stones at passing automobiles always with the danger of hitting the driver or occupants.

On Wednesday the old "POPPY," which had become a dilapidated spectacle for those visiting the King's wharf, has at last been removed to a place where she may rest with ease, and where she will not be a subject for unpleasant remarks. She had seen her day, and, perhaps, should not be spoken disrespectably of, but her "day was done" and she is better on the bottom of the sea outside the Narrows than she could possibly be in her old position in the harbour, and it will be a good thing when several others that are now lying around this port, are taken out to keep her company. The "POPPY" had given trouble in her day, and continued it to the last, when she almost defied the dredge Priestman, to put her out of sight.


The Sydney Post of Monday says: - Two accidents, one of which resulted fatally, occurred at the Steel Plant this morning.

Thomas MULLALY, of Newfoundland, a top-man on the pier, was run over by an engine about 6.30 a.m. The engine passed over his stomach. He was taken to Brooklands Hospital immediately, Dr. LYNCH attending him, but his case was hopeless and he passed away about eleven o'clock. MULLALY was thirty-six years old and unmarried.

James McDONALD, who is in charge of a blowing engine at the plant, fell off the engine to the floor below, a distance of twenty-five feet. He landed on his back and sustained serious, but it is believed he will recover. MCDONALD is about forty years old, is married and lives on Amelia Street.

The inquest into the death of MULLALY will be held at three o'clock this afternoon.

Special thanks to Marina Carew Aita for her help with this project.

"Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing"
Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material
is strictly prohibited and subject to legal action.


Page Contributed by Chris Shelley (September 2000)
Page Revised by Don Tate (16 Sep 2000)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]