Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

1910 Newspaper Look-ups
The St. John's Daily News




Fifty years ago today Mr. John JEANS and Miss COURAGE, both of Catalina, were married there by the Rev. William NETTEN. Half a century of happy married life has dealt lightly with them, and it seems difficult to realise that on Thursday Mr. JEANS attains his 76th year, while scarce a grey hair exists to show that the Psalmist's limit has been reached by his bride of 1860.

Mr. JEANS was in business with his father in the sixties, and later conducted it alone. In 1872 he came to St. John's, in Job's employ, under the direction of the Hon. Stephen RENDELL. After a brief period at the South Side, he took charge of the Retail store, remaining there until 1894 when he retired. For over 30 years he has been the honoured Secretary of St. John's Lodge, A.F. and A.M., and on the attainment of his Silver Jubilee in office, some eight years ago was the recipient of an address and presentation from the Lodge. He has also for many years occupied the position of Secretary of the Masonic Mutual Insurance Company.

Mr. and Mrs. JEANS have had twelve children, four of whom survive. The eldest of the family is Capt. Stephen JEANS, acting Major in the Montana National Guards, residing at Butte, Montana, and the youngest, Mr. Rendell JEANS of the Chronicle staff, Mrs. James C. OKE of this City and Mrs. H.P. LEWIS of Brooklyn are daughters.

We extend congratulations to Mr. and Mrs. JEANS upon the attainment of their golden wedding. To few is this joy afforded, and to still fewer does the fiftieth anniversary come in perfect health and happiness. That they may be spared to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee in 1920, and to live for years, thereafter, is the hope of their large circle of friends here, at Catalina, and throughout the Island, especially of the members of the Masonic fraternity amongst whom the name of John JEANS is household word.

Wed. Feb. 9, 1910


Mr. Peter GOSS, formerly of Torbay, and well known in the City, died at his residence, Gower Street, yesterday after a protracted illness. Deceased, some five years ago while employed in the Government service, was injured at Labrador, and never fully recovered from the effects of the injury. Mr. GOSS was one of the old vikings that are fast dying out, and had reached his 79th year. In the early fifties, he successfully commanded several sealing schooners, the "Maggie" and "Gipsy" in particular. Several brothers of deceased who have also passed away were also well known in the sealing and fishing industries, and did much to build up the country in the good old days. Deceased leaves a widow and many relatives, to whom the "News" expresses sympathy.

Mr. V.P. BURKE yesterday received a communication from Dr. PARKINS, director of the Rhodes' Scholarship, giving a statement of the work done by the scholars during the year 1908-09. From the list, it is seen that two of our boys are doing well in their work. J.J. PENNEY, of St. Bon's, who was at Hertford College, Oxford, is amongst the number who were successful in the Honour Schools for the B.A. degree, while in the Honour Moderations, that is, the next to the B.A. school, only two of the Rhodes' Scholars were mentioned, and one of these is H.A. WINTER of Bishop Field College and University College, Oxford.

(Exclusive to Daily News.)
HALIFAX, FEB. 8th. - The S.S. SERVIAN put in here today, and landed the crew of the barque "Calcium", which was abandoned on Feb. 2nd. The vessel sprang a leak, and the pumps could not keep the water down. The ship was set on fire before being abandoned. The "Calcium" was bound from Sierra Leone for Philadelphia.


A very pretty wedding was solemnized yesterday afternoon at the residence of the bride's father, Mr. J.L. ROSS, Quidi Vidi, when his daughter, Alma, was united to Mr. FRED VEY, son of Mr. Jabez VEY, manager of the Nail Mfg. Co., of this city. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. COWPERWAITE, assisted by Rev. F.R. MATTHEWS, B.A. The bride was attired in cream serge, and was given away by her father. Miss Florence MARTIN, the bride's niece, assisted the bride, while Mr. Walter VEY performed the duties of best man. The groom's present to the bride was an anniversary clock, and to the bridesmaid, a clock. Only the immediate friends of the parties were present, and after lunch had been taken, and the health of the bride toasted, the happy couple left for Pearce's, where the honeymoon will be spent. The "News" wishes Mr. and Mrs. VEY every happiness.

Mon. Feb. 14, 1910


At. Job's Cove, on Thursday, February 10th, fortified by the Sacraments of the Church, John MURPHY, an estimable resident of that place, aged about 63. R.I.P.

On Saturday, the l1th inst., Mrs. Annie PIPPY, aged 87 years. Funeral on Tuesday, at 2:30 p.m. from her late residence, 65 Springdale St. Friends will please attend without further notice.

Passed peacefully away on Sunday evening, John J. O'REILLY aged 60 years. Funeral on Tuesday, at 2:30 p.m. from his late residence, 290 Water Street. Friends and acquaintances please accept this the only intimation. R.I.P.

APRIL 23, 1910

The funeral of the late Mrs. Captain W. CARROLL took place on Thursday afternoon at Placentia, and was largely attended. The funeral services were conducted by Rt. Rev. Monsignor REARDON, and interment was at the Roman Catholic Cemetery. The death of Mrs. CARROLL is particularly sad, owing to the absence of Capt. CARROLL to the icefields, and his homecoming will be a sad one. Five children, the youngest four years old, are also left to mourn, and general sympathy is expressed the bereaved ones.


Mary Ellen, wife of Mr. Arthur HISCOCK, passed peacefully away at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday. Funeral from her late residence, "Hillside," Long's Hill, at 2:30 p.m. this Saturday. Friends and relations will please accept this as the only intimation.

MAY 10, 1910


Mrs. GRADY, Carbonear, was operated on May 7th., fairly well.

Edward HOUSE, Bay L'Argent, operated on May 4th, is somewhat better.

William PENNELL, Trepassey, operated on May 5th, will be discharged, cured, on Tuesday next.

Joseph COLLINS, Placentia, is slightly improved.

Arthur LEROUX, Bay St. George, operated on May 7th, is doing well.

Julia PENNY, Woodfords, operated on April 28th, is much improved at present.

Charlie SNOW, Freshwater, B.D.V., operated on April 25th, will be discharged, cured, this week.

The following were discharged since last report: - Michael WALSH, St. John's; John HUTCHINGS, Spaniard's Bay; Jacob DELANEY, Kelligrews; Mary BRETT, Fogo; Sadie MALONEY, Grand Falls; Albert ROWE, Chance Cove; Peter KENT, Bell Island; Michael KELLY, Fox Harbour: Mrs. TULK, Herring Neck; Mrs. WESCOTT, St. John's; Brian O'CONNELL, Tilt Cove; Miss ROWE, St. John's; John RYAN, Goulds; Samuel COOPER, Green's Harbour; William NOSEWORTHY, St. John's; Joseph BRIEN, Cape Broyle; Charlotte MILLER, Portugal Cove; Alice KAVANAGH, St. John's; Caroline CLARKE, Bay of Islands; William DOODY, Carbonear.

William MCCARTHY, Bay of Islands, died at hospital, May 5th.

Patrick TULFORD, Boats Harbour, died at hospital on May 7th.

The following were admitted to hospital since last report: - Arthur LEROUX, Bay St. George; Philip HALEY, St. John's; Thomas MORRIS, St. John's; John McCUE, Fox Harbour; Richard TIBBO, St. John's; William PENNELL, Trepassey; Thomas McDONALD, La Poile; Daniel KEEFE, Bay de Verde; Mrs. McANNISTER, St. John's; Edward DORAN, St. John's; Sarah BROWN, Placentia; William DOODY, Carbonear; James CAREY, Witless Bay; Ellen FLYNN, St. John's; Mrs. GRADY, Carbonear; James PARSONS, Freshwater; Josiah BRACE, New Harbour: Percy BERRY, Pool's Island.


The schooner "Nellie Louise", which was purchased by Bowring Bros., some time ago, as mentioned in the "News", has been formerly taken over by the firm, and will shortly load for Brazil. Her former Captain will remain in charge.


On the llth inst., at 5 o'clock, after a lingering illness, Annie Mildred, wife of Albert COVEYDUCK, and daughter of William and Grace ANDREWS, aged 28 years. Funeral today, Friday, at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, Cabot Street. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further notice.

Fri. Aug. 5, 1910


Each year brings its drownings, and particularly at this season when such an interest is taken in aquatic matters. Monday, July 25th, Charles DEVINE, a promising lad of 16 years, went to death while swimming across Kenney's Pond, and two days later William JOYCE, 17 years of age, lost his life in Long Pond while bathing a few yards from the shore.

Yesterday afternoon Herbert MARTIN, son of Mr. Albert MARTIN, aged 14 years, and William LLOYD, aged about 14, son of Dr. LLOYD, Editor of the Evening Telegram, were the victims. The lads had taken a small canoe, about 12 feet long, to go rowing, and when about 60 yards from he shore they started to "make fun," each playing with a toy pistol. Suddenly the boat capsized, and both were thrown into the water. Young MARTIN attempted to reach the upturned boat, but was unable to do so. Being a good swimmer, he kept himself and young LLOYD afloat for almost two minutes, but the strain proved too great, and both sank.

A brother of the boy MARTIN, Chesley, who was in company with a brother of young LLOYD, who was drowned, was about 50 yards from where the drowning occurred, and being informed of the happening, "went in" fully dressed, hoping to save his brother. When he reached the spot MARTIN and LLOYD had gone beneath the surface, and only two straw hats, which they had worn, were floating about. Chesley MARTIN, in a fatigued state, returned to the shore, and divesting himself of his clothing, went out again, hoping to bring the body of his brother to the surface. In this he was unsuccessful; and with a sorrowing heart he came to the shore and asked for volunteers to go and search for the bodies.

About twenty minutes later the police arrived on the scene, and with Capt. ENGLISH, Cabman NEWELL, and some others with six boats, they began dragging for the bodies. About 6.25, or half an hour after the capsizing of the canoe, young LLOYD was taken from the water, being jigged up by Cabman NEWELL. The body showed signs of life, and "first aid" was attempted to resuscitate, but without avail. Within another half hour the body of Herbert MARTIN was brought to the surface, and there were also signs of life visible. Resuscitation was again tried, but without achievement. Dr. MCPHERSON, in the interim, had been called by the police, and was quickly present. Examination showed that both were dead for some time, though it is believed that LLOYD was not dead when taken ashore, which was quite a time before the doctor arrived.

The accident is most appalling, and the cutting off of two, more promising and useful lives, will naturally affect the whole community. It is fortunate, however, that another life was not sacrificed in the attempt of Chesley MARTIN to save his brother. Fully clad, he had reached within a few feet of him, and had not Mr. BENEDICT, of the Commercial Cable Co., called out to him to return to shore, he would possibly have fared the fate of his younger brother.

When the boat capsized, both youngsters shouted for help, and had any person been near with life saving apparatus, or with a boat, both would have been saved. The sad happening comes as a severe and heart-breaking blow to the parents of both youngsters.

A FALSE ALARM Last night Mr. T. POPE, while passing near his furniture factory, George Street, heard a noise and thinking that the building had been entered, advised the Western Fire Station by telephone. Two police officers visited there to investigate. Upon entering the building they still heard a noise, but could not find anyone there. Eventually they discovered, much to their amusement, that the noise was caused by a horse kicking in a stable close by. The police were not surprised at the way matters turned out, as almost nightly a similar noise could be heard near the place.


The wedding of Mr. Edward P. GOFF of the firm of Goff Bros, Carbonear, and Miss M. HOULAHAN, Cape St. Mary's, was solemnized on St. Andrew's Altar by the Rev. Mons. ROACH on Tuesday afternoon at three o'clock. The bride, who was attired in Japanese silk, was attended by her sister, Miss Rose HOULAHAN, while Mr. J. GOFF, supported the groom. After the ceremony a reception was held at the residence of the bride. Later the party drove to Waterford Bridge, where the bride and groom boarded the train for Holyrood, where the honeymoon will be spent. Afterwards they will proceed to Carbonear, their future home, where we trust they will enjoy years of unbroken happiness.

An Ice Cream that is rich, smooth and finely flavoured, is the kind you like, and that is the kind served at WOOD'S Candy Stores. Since over a week ago fish have not been plentiful on the local grounds, and the average catch daily for hook and liners has not exceeded a quintal.

Photographs of the "Guard" from the cradle to wining post. Every Brigade supporter should have a set. See AYRE & SONS window this afternoon.

The Home's last report says that the fishery is now over in the Straits, and only a few crews go out each day. The weather has been fairly fine the last week, and the voyage is now being "made."

League Football, St. George's Field, 7 o'clock this evening. Feildians vs Collegians. Admission, Adults, 5 cts., boys, 2 cents; ladies, free; grand stand, 5 cents extra.

The following passengers are booked to go by the FLORIZEL, which leaves for Halifax and New York tomorrow: Mrs. and Miss BOWERMAN, Mrs. CONPLE and child, W. HILL, Miss HILLL, Mr. TREFRY, Mrs. SQUIRES, Mr. TERO, Mr. DUNN, A. MOULTON, W. GRIEVE, Mr. EWING, Mrs. EWING, JR., H.A. ELLIS, J. KEATING, Mr. WIELER.


Wednesday evening, at 10:30 p.m., after a lingering illness, Kate, eldest daughter of Margaret and the late John MURPHY. Her funeral will take place today, Friday, at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 32 Hutchings' Street. Friends will please accept this, the only intimation.

Sun. Aug. 7, 1910


Drowned in Quidi Vidi Lake, last Thursday evening, Herbert George, youngest son of Albert H. and Nellie MARTIN, aged 14 years. Funeral this Saturday, at 3 p.m., from his late residence, 25 Forest Road.

Drowned, in Quidi Vidi Lake, last Thursday evening, William Cowper, eldest son of William Frederick, and Mrs. LLOYD, aged 15 years. Funeral at 2:15 p.m. today, Saturday, from his late residence, "Escasoni."



On Saturday last at 1 p.m., there passed away at his home in Northern Bay, Mr. George MOORES, a highly respected resident of that place. Mr. MOORES had conducted a successful business for many years, and also engaged in the Coasting trade, though the latter for the past five years, has been conducted by his son James. In February last, the first serious symptoms of disease appeared, and by May had reached an acute stage. Mr. MOORES then visited St. John's and consulted a physician. Shortly after his return Dr. FERGUSON the local physician pronounced the ailment to be cancer of the stomach. Since then the deceased sank gradually, suffering internally for the most part, but with singular bravery and fortitude. During his life deceased was a man of strong character, a leader amongst men, recognized and admired by all for sterling integrity and devotion to those principles of honesty which he espoused. He was an exemplary citizen in all respects.

Mr. MOORES leaves behind, besides a widow, three children, James at home, Mrs. J.C. PUDDISTER of this city and Beatrice on the nursing staff of the General Hospital, Montreal. To those and all others who mourn for a faithful father and friend there will be general sympathy extended in their time of sorrow.

Yesterday afternoon the T.A. & B. SOCIETY held its regular monthly meeting, at which a number of applicants were admitted to membership. After the election of members, President ELLIS, on behalf of the Association, presented Messrs. P.J. O'NEILL and J.J. BATES, both ex-presidents, with handsome sashes of honor, as a slight recognition of their valuable services to the Society during their tenure of office. The President referred briefly to the good work done, and the many sacrifices made by them in the cause of total abstinence. Mr. O'NEILL replied and thanked the members for the honor they had conferred on him, and for the kindly feelings that prompted the Society. He also thanked the President, for his graceful and flattering remarks, and hoped that the little he had done, while occupying the position now held by Mr. ELLIS, was of some benefit. Mr. O'NEILL has been a member of the institution for 47 years, and during that time has been an active worker in everything that led to the Society's advancement. Mr. BATES who, for 40 years has been a total abstainer, followed, and expressed himself as being highly honored. During his term, as Chief Executive Officer, he has done his best to advance the cause, and he hoped to wear the sash the remainder of his life, as a member of the body. He also congratulated Mr. O'NEILL, whom, he said, had done much to place the Society in its present standing. The Rev. Spiritual Director, Dr. KITCHEN, complimented Messrs. O'NEILL and BATES. Their lives had been practically spent in the cause of total abstinence, and he wished the younger members to take example by them. The President also announced that an enlarged photograph of Mr. O"NEILL, the work of Mr. JAS. VEY, would be hung in the reading room, beside that of ex-president BATES, which now adorns the wall.


The man James DILLON of Signal Hill who is reported missing from his home since Saturday night, as mentioned in yesterday's "News", has not yet turned up despite numerous and anxious enquiries. His absence is causing grave anxiety to his wife and children, who are in a distracted state over the happening. The police authorities have been notified of the matter, but can throw no light as to DILLON's whereabouts. However, a constable who was doing east end duty on Saturday, claims that he saw DILLON on Saturday afternoon on A. Harvey's Coastal wharf while the "Bornu" was loading cargo. By reason of DILLON's occupation being a fireman, his friends are confident, and firmly believe that he went on the ship in that capacity. The information whilst so far correct may be misleading. DILLON's wife made enquiries among the laborers who were working on the "Bornu", most of whom were acquainted with her husband, and ascertained that he was not seen on the premises since 5 o'clock in the evening. We learn from Mrs. DILLON that since reported on Harvey's wharf, he was home with his week's pay and had tea. He left again at 8.45, and it is yet unknown where he went afterwards. Search parties were organized yesterday endeavouring to locate the missing man, but up to eleven o'clock last night their efforts were in vain. However, in view of the "Bornu" not sailing until midnight Saturday, and as it would then be too late to send word home to that effect, he might possibly have gone on the ship - hence his absence.

The "Bornu" is due at Halifax at an early hour this morning, and has no doubt, arrived ere this. Halifax will be communicated with by wire this forenoon to know whether DILLON is on board, and a reply in the affirmative will greatly relieve the minds of his wife and children.


On Tuesday the C.C.C. bandsmen held a most successful dance in the British Hall, which was attended by upwards of 200 couples. The ballroom was gaily decorated with bunting, and was quite in keeping with the event. At 9.30 dancing commenced, and an excellent programme, consisting of Lancers, Waltzes and Quadrilles were gone through. The music was supplied by the C.C.C. Band, and was of an exceptionally high order. During the evening refreshments were served by Misses HIGGINS, SKINNER, and SCOTT. At 3 a.m., the affair was terminated, all having spent a most enjoyable time.

who had been missing from his home since Saturday last and who, by his absence, had figured so prominently in press circles, has tuned up at Halifax on the "S.S. BORNU", word having been received from there to that effect. On Tuesday, at the request of DILLON's wife, who believed he was on the "Bornu", Messrs. Harvey & CO. sent a cablegram to Halifax, to ascertain if he was on the ship, and received a reply, stating that he was on board on arrival, and in addition, that he was one of the ship's firemen.

The Handicap Match, at the Rifle Range, yesterday, was won by E. COFFIN, with a total score of 161, including his handicap of 13 points for all ranges, the highest scratch score being 149. P.W. NORMAN wins the Club medal for the highest score of 93 made during the season.


A very pretty wedding took place at Cochrane St., Methodist Church on Wednesday, Sept. 14th at 2.15 p.m., the contracting parties being Miss Maude CROCKER, youngest daughter of A.J. CROCKER, Esq., Catalina and Mr. T.B. BROWN of AYRE & SONS LTD. The bride looked charming in a cream costume and hat to match. The bridesmaids were Miss Dorcas CROCKER, sister of the bride, and Miss Janie BROWN, sister of the groom. Mr. W.S. CROCKER acted as father giver, while the groom was supported by his brother, Mr. C.F.J. BROWN, and Mr. A.G. Boyd CROCKER. After the ceremony the happy couple and party drove to Topsail where a sumptuous repast was partaken of. The bride and groom were the recipients of many valuable presents. The grooms present to the bride was a handsome piano and the bridesmaids silver hatpins. The happy couple are spending the honeymoon at Topsail.


About 1.40 p.m., Tuesday, Thomas PENNEY, aged 17 years was instantly killed. He was engaged as a driver, and was taking a portable forge from the new Clothing Factory excavation to the West End, which was in a box cart. PENNEY was anxious to get through the work quickly, and decided to go via George St., to Queen St., which would cut a considerable distance off the regular route. He had just reached Queen St., through a narrow passage, which is bounded by TRELLEGAN's and MCNAMARA's, and the wheels were passing over the cobble stone drain, when the cart gave a sudden jerk, making the young man loose his balance. He grasped at the forge to save himself from going over, but it had also careened over, and as soon as he took hold he was precipitated over the car, the forge going also. Young PENNEY's head hit the cobble stones with great force, while the forge, which weighs over 200 pounds, fell on him, crushing out his brains, and causing instant death. The police and citizens were quickly on the scene, and lifted the body into TRELLEGAN's. Dr. RENDELL soon arrived also, but his services were of no avail, death having been instantaneous. Rev. Fr. KELLY was called from the Deanery, and did all that religion could permit under the circumstances. Dr. RENDELL then placed his motor car at the disposal of REV. FR. KELLY, who went to the home of the deceased and broke the news to his distracted mother. The young man was a son of Capt. E. PENNEY of the "Minoru", who only arrived in the City last night, and a brother of Mr. E.J. PENNEY of the Herald reportorial staff, to whom with the heartbroken mother general and sincere sympathy is expressed in which the "News" joins.

Fish was fairly plentiful on the local grounds yesterday, and catches as high as 4 quintals a boat were taken.

An Ice Cream that is rich, smooth and finely flavoured, is the kind you like, and that is the kind served at WOOD's Candy Stores.

Mr. Isaac KESSOPP, of St. Jacques, arrived in the city on Tuesday, via "S.S. Glenco" and train, and is registered at the Crosbie.

The whaler "Port Saunders" arrived in port at 10 p.m. Tuesday for a supply of coal from the Reid Co., and left again at 3 a.m. yesterday in quest of whales for the Hr. Grace factory.

During Tuesday and yesterday some 1,000 passengers travelled over the Reid Company's lines. Despite the heavy traffic all the trains were on time yesterday and last night, the local with 700 passengers getting into the station at 9.15 sharp.

St. John's Agricultural Society: - Any member of this Society requiring Basic Slag, is hereby requested to send an order for same to the Secretary, not later than the 15th inst. Delivery must be taken from the ship's side.

The Pansey Club held the first card tournament for the season on Tuesday evening, in the Mechanics' Hall, in which 150 took part. After thirty games had been played to a finish, the prizes were presented the winners. Out of a possible 30, M.G. ATWILL had 23, and M. BENNETT 22 games to their credit, thus winning the first and second prizes, respectively.

On Tuesday night a young man named H. BAKER who was taking part in the C.C.C. dance at the British Hall, met with an accident. He was using a knife at the refreshment table when it suddenly slipped and inflicted a deep wound on his left hand. As a result, an enormous lot of blood oozed from the wound. He was brought to Dr. TAIT's surgery, who, after stopping the flow of blood, applied bandages to the injured member.

Mr. H. ROBINSON, delegate of the Tailor's International Union, who had been in the City for some time as a guest of the local Union, left for St. John by the express Tuesday afternoon.

The young man who was arrested 3 a.m. Tuesday while acting strangely on New Gower St., was examined Tuesday by a doctor, and pronounced insane. The unfortunate man is suffering from religious mania.

Required. A Young Lady, to interview ladies at their homes. Good salary. Reference required, and must bear strict investigation. Apply, by letter only, addressed Miss ESTER, Crosbie Hotel.

The "S.S. Bonavista", Capt. FRASER, arrived in port at 1 p.m. yesterday. She left Montreal on the 7th inst., and called at Charlottetown and the Sydneys. Fine weather was met all the way. She brought two-thirds general cargo, 50 head of cattle and 80 sheep.

A letter in a couple of minutes, dictated; a letter every five minutes, typewritten. Can you do that writing them yourself without a stenographer and without a Smith Premier typewriter? A. Milne FRASER, care of R.C. POWER, Agt., St. John's.


Tuesday's express took out a large number of passengers. Among them being: - Prof. ROBERTSON, Rev. H. BOOTH, Mrs. H. CRAWFORD, Miss E. WHITE, Dr. JOACHIM, Mr. and Miss DICKINSON, J.C. CHARLES, J. JARDINE, Hon. S.D. and Mrs. BLANDFORD and child, H. ROBINSON.


The funeral of the late Thomas PENNY takes place from his father's residence, 37 Brien's Street at 2.30 this Thursday afternoon. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further notice.


On the 7th instant, a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. John ANGEL.


Yesterday, at Cochrane St. Church, by Rev. F.R. MATTHEWS, B.A., Maude, youngest daughter of Aubrey J. CROCKER, Esq., Catalina, to T.B. BROWN.


Last night, after a short illness, at her residence, 59 Military Road, the beloved wife of Robert J. WYLIE, leaving husband, six children, father and two sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral notice later.

On the 14th inst., Veronica, the beloved wife of John ANGEL, leaving a husband, child, father, mother, three brothers and four sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Friday, at 2.30 p.m., from her late residence 76 Patrick St. Friends and acquaintances please attend without further notices. New York papers please copy.

On Tuesday evening after a tedious illness, Ellen Gertrude, youngest daughter of the late Martin and Margaret TOBIN (Carbonear), and beloved wife of James J. RUSSELL, aged 37 years. She leaves a husband and seven children to mourn the loss of a kind wife and loving mother. Funeral on today, Thursday, at 2.30 p.m. from her late residence, 19 Boncloddy Street. Friends will please accept this, the only intimation. No flowers. Montreal and Boston papers please copy. - R.I.P.

Passed peacefully away, on the 26th August, at her residence, Spring Garden Road, Halifax, N.S., Sarah, relict of the late Joseph P. GORMAN, merchant, formerly of St. Pierre, Miq., aged 84 years. Deceased was noted for her piety and charity, and many a recipient of her bountiful hand, both at St. Pierre and on the Newfoundland coast, will warmly utter a prayer for the repose of her soul. Deceased was a daughter of James POWER, Master Cooper of C.F. BENNETT's employ, and a sister of the late James KENNY, of George Street, East.

Sat. Sept. 17, 1910


At St. Mary's Church, South Side, on Thursday, Sept. 15th at 2.30 p.m., Mr. T.W. DICKSON of Louisburg, C.B., and Miss Blanche WARREN, daughter of Mr. Cyrus WARREN, South Side, were united in wedlock by Rev. H. UPHILL, Rector of St. Mary's. The bride was attended by her sister Miss Ina WARREN and the groom was supported by his cousin Mr. Anthony TOWNSEND. Little Miss Irene HUSSEY, niece of the bride was flower girl. The bride was attired in a handsome costume of cream cloth, and a hat of cream and silver, and carried a bouquet of pink and white carnations and sweet peas. The bridesmaid wore a dress of pink organdie and a hat to match, and also carried a bouquet of pink and white carnations. The flower girl was attired in pink and white silk muslin. The groom's present to the bridesmaid and flower girl was gold lockets and chains. After the ceremony the happy couple and party drove to the residence of the bride's parents, where a sumptuous repast was partaken of, when the usual toasts were proposed and responded to in felicitous terms. The newly-wedded couple left by the express for Louisburg, where they will in future reside.

Mon. Sept. 19, 1910


If anyone has additional info. on the Francis DILLON mentioned below, PLEASE contact me. He was my Great-Grandfather.


Sunday afternoon, after a short illness, Harry, youngest son of Arthur and Agnes WOOD, aged 7 months.

On Sunday morning, after a lingering illness, MARY, beloved wife of Jas. J. NORRIS. Funeral on Tuesday, at 2.30 p.m., from her late residence, 41 Hayward Ave. Friends will please accept this, the only intimation.


At the General Hospital, on Sunday morning, Francis DILLON, aged 43, leaving a widow, five children, mother and four brothers, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral will take place this day, Monday, at 2.30 p.m., from the General Hospital.

Yesterday morning, Cyril J., darling child of John and Hattie L. SEXTON, aged 2 years.

"We know our darling is at rest
Within the tender Shepherd's fold,
He took him from this sinful world.
He shields him from its blasts and cold."

At North Sydney, Monday 12th instant, after a protracted illness, Mary, wife of Mr. William SPRACKLIN, Station Master, and eldest daughter of Mr. John TRAPNELL, Hr. Grace, aged 34 years. The remains were conveyed to Whitbourne by Thursday's express for interment.


Mr. J. RYAN left by yesterday's express for King's Cove.

Hon. D.J. GREENE left by the express yesterday to join the Northern Circuit Court at Bonavista.

Mrs. G. COUGHLAN, who was visiting friends in Sydney, returned to the City by Saturday's express.

Hon. W.C. JOB left by the express yesterday for the Cape Shore to spend a few days partridge shooting.

Mr. G. DAWE, of Bay Roberts, who was in the City last week on business, returned home by Saturday's train.

Mr. and Mrs. W. PIPPY returned to town last week from their honeymoon, and are residing at 191 LeMarchant Road.

Mr. J. POWER, of Parker and Monroe's, left yesterday on his annual visit to the Canadian and American shoe markets.

Rev. C.R. BLOUNT and Mrs. BLOUNT, who have been spending the past three months in England, returned by the Siberian. Mr. BLOUNT is stationed at Fortune.

President W.D. REID left by special train yesterday for Shoal Hr., and from there will walk over the Bonavista Branch Line to where construction work ends. Returning Mr. REID will join his private yacht at Trinity for St. John's. Mr. and Mrs. F.C. WARNER, of California, are visiting Newfoundland. Mr. WARNER is a nephew of the late Charles Dudley WARNER, author of "Baddeck and That Sort of Thing"; and, so the Sydney Record says, during the past fifteen years has been a frequent visitor of the places made famous by his illustrious uncle.

Mr. W.E. STAVERT, formerly of the Bank of Nova Scotia in this city and now general superintendent of agencies of the Bank of Montreal, has been appointed receiver for the United States Banking Company, Mexico, which suspended payment some time ago. Mr. STAVERT is the representative of the Canadian Bankers' Association in case of bank failures in Canada.



The people in and around Note Dame Bay have been expressing overwhelming grief for the bereaved ones of an unfortunate man, named NIPPARD, belonging to Dog Bay, who lost his life, on Wednesday last, while working in Horwood's Lumber Mill at that place. The particulars are most appalling and hard to describe. The victim who, after struggling between life and death for a period of five weary hours, suffering excruciating agonies, responded to the final summons.

The sad news of the tragedy was brought along by the "S.S. Fogota", which arrived here yesterday, and which was at Dog Bay for a day after the happening. Last evening the "News" interviewed Chief Officer Weston KEAN, who gave the following information:

The unfortunate man was employed in the saw mill. He was engaged passing lumber to the operator of the clapboard cutter, which is operated in the building there, and was working in that capacity when the accident befell him. At that particular moment he was passing a piece of lumber to a fellow workman, and in doing so placed it over the revolving saw, but not at a sufficient distance to avoid danger. Whereupon the board coming in contact with the teeth of the saw, which was revolving at rapid speed, rebounded violently, and as quickly as a discharge from a gun, NIPPARD was struck a terrific blow by the end of the board in the lower portion of the face, which drove him several yards distant from where he was standing. He was lying prone on the floor in a mass of blood, which issued freely from the man's wounds, when the workmen of the place, including Mr. W.F. HORWOOD, hastened to the scene of the accident and acted with much expediency. The poor fellow was then bleeding to death and lay motionless. His face was so wretchedly disfigured that it was utterly impossible to recognize him, and he was practically decapitated. The right jaw and under part of the mouth were beaten completely into pulp, whilst a portion of the throat had been badly mutilated, the bones of which penetrated the wind pipe. From the effects of the latter, the blood ceased to flow, which gradually but ultimately succeeded in choking him.

NIPPARD was taken to Change Island at 5 in the afternoon, in Mr. HORWOOD's motor, where the services of Dr. WOOD were availed of, but despite all that medical skill could devise, at 10 p.m. his suffering ceased to exist and he passed to the Great Beyond.

The deceased leaves a wife and one child, to whom much sympathy is expressed.

The following registered at the Crosbie Saturday and Sunday: W.B. NOSEWORTHY, Clarke's Beach; R. LEWIS, Toronto, Ontario; J.P. TYRRELL, Montreal; W.T. WILKINSON, Grand River, Que; J.E. DUNN, L. MANNING, Plainfield, N.J.; H.C. CRAFORT, Tully, N.Y.; J.C. MANNING, Plainfield, N.J.; R.D. WILSON, New Brunswick; M.L. FRASER, Wabana; A.R. CHAMBERS, R.E. CHAMBERS, New Glasgow; H.H. REES, Wabana; T. MALLETT, Montreal; D. MCLINUON, Montreal; L. BLOT, Paris; Jas. LUPINI, Newcastle on Tyne; J.A. GRIEVE, London; R.D. WILSON, London; J. WINDSOR.

Saturday the Reid Newfoundland Co., had a message from Capt. BLANDFORD of the "Dundee", which ship was lent to the Funk Islands, to investigate into the report of Capt. JACKSON of the "Harmony", in reference to strange lights being seen there. The HOME arrived there at midnight Friday, and a crew went ashore, with lights and searched the Island, but found no person there. The steamer then waited until daylight, when the Island was again searched with similar results. The lights seen by Capt. JACKSON were no doubt those of fishing schooners anchored there.


The following patients were admitted since last report: Francis ST. CROIX, St. Mary's; Caleb PYE, Brooklyn; Annie IRVIN, St. John's; Samuel KENNEDY, Trepassey; John BRIEN, Cape Broyle; Leah UNDERHAY, Heart's Content; Mary LANAGMEAD, St. John's; Jane FLYNN, St. John's; William QUINN, Hr. Grace; Michael WALSH, St. John's; Edwin SEEWARD, Heart's Content; Margaret LANE, St. John's; Walter POWER, Whitbourne; Mary FOLEY, Placentia; Louise WARREN, Chance Cove; Mary ADAMS, St. Mary's; Frank DILLON, St. John's.

The following were discharged since last report: - Mary LOADER, Bay of Island; Mildred MILLER, Petty Harbour; Edith ANDREWS, St. John's; Bessie GRAHAM, Port Blandford; Walter BISHOP, St. John's; Emma DUNSTERVILLE, St. John's; Patrick MECUM, St. Mary's; Thomas EVOY, St. Mary's; Nicholas GOULDS, Flower's Cove, Ellen O'BRIEN, Hr. Grace; John BRIEN, Cape Broyle; Samuel CARTER; Wesleyville; Christopher FORTUNE, Toads Cove; George MARCH, Port au Port; Philip BROWN, Fair Island.

The following patients were operated on since last report: - Bride PENDERGRAST, Portugal Cove Road; Mamie GRIFFIN, St. John's; Caleb PYE; Brooklyn; Michael WALSH, St. John's; Annie IRVINE, St. John's.

Frank DILLON, St. John's, died at Hospital on September 18th.



Accidentally Upsets Kerosene Lamp, the House Takes Fire, and While Endeavoring to Save His Children is Almost Burned to a Crisp - Alive When Taken from Burning Building, but Dies Soon After in Terrible Agony.

An awful tragedy occurred between 12:30 and 12:40 yesterday morning, on the Southside, Francis DILLON, aged 43, married, with a wife and five children, being the victim of a burning accident, which resulted in death after four hours terrible suffering.

The unfortunate man, who lived on the Southside, was in the West End, Saturday night, and with some companions, visited several saloons, between the hours of 7 and 9. Before closing hour, it is said, he procured a supply of liquor, which he took with him, some of which he consumed after the stores had closed. About 11:30, he was seen in Mill Lane, going towards his home, but he did not continue on, as at about 12:15 a.m., yesterday, he was met by a young man, who assisted him to near his house, where DILLON remarked he could reach there without assistance, and he bade his friend good night. The young man had not reached home when he heard the fire bells ring, and seeing the reflections, judged the fire to be in the vicinity of DILLON's, and rushed to the scene. When he reached the Southside, he found he had conjectured correctly, and was horrified to see the man he had left 20 minutes previous lying on the roadside, practically burnt to a crisp, and almost beyond recognition.

The theory set up by those who knew the unfortunate man well, is that when he reached his home, he took off his coat - it not being on him when he was taken from the burning building - and in doing so, staggered against the kitchen table and capsized a kerosene lamp, setting fire to the place. Another theory is, that he was going about the house with the lamp, let it fall, and, when the oil took fire, he attempted to extinguish it with his coat, and failed Neither of these theories may be correct, but it is certain that the explosion of a kerosene lamp set the house on fire, and also DILLON's clothing. As soon as the building was ablaze, DILLON, with natural paternal feeling, rushed upstairs, where his children were sleeping, with his clothing on fire, and shouted to them to save their lives, while he himself screamed for help, and tried to assist one of them out. The children saw their father with his clothing on fire, when he came to their room, and he pitifully cried, "Save your lives, the house is on fire; never mind me." This was the last they remember of their parent, as the excitement that followed and the terrible ending, is sufficient to act upon much mature minds. A family named SQUIRES, living next door, heard the commotion, and rushed to the burning dwelling. Two of the SQUIRES, father and son, managed to get upstairs, at great risk, and get the children out through a rear entrance. Poor DILLON was a mass of flames, and in a helpless condition when they reached him, but they also succeeded in getting him through a window, dropping him to the ground, a distance of about 8 feet. Quite a number of people had gathered by this time, and as soon as the burning man reached the street, willing hands extinguished his clothing by rolling him on the ground.

As the unhappy man was being rolled about the street, burning flesh fell from the bones, and his agonizing cries were heart-rending. At this stage, the police and firemen had arrived, and the former took charge of the injured man. The burnt clothing was cut from the body, and flour and oil thrown on the roasted flesh, which gave very little or no relief to the sufferer. He was then taken in a quilt and brought to the house of W. SAMUELSON. At the latter place, he regained consciousness, asked to see a Priest, and for a drink of water. Fr. PIPPY was quickly on the scene, and while he was yet conscious, administered the last rites of the Catholic Church, and later accompanied him to the hospital, where he remained with him up to a short time before death, which occurred at 5 a.m., after terrible suffering.

As soon as DILLON was taken from the burning dwelling, the telephone at Browning's Mill was availed of, and several city doctors were called, but failed to respond. For more than one and one-half hours, the dying man lay in the street and on the floor of SAMUELSON's house, without the aid of a doctor, undergoing torture indescribable; and finally had to be carted away to the hospital, without medical assistance. It is true, however, Dr. COPPERTHWAITE did answer the call, and met the ambulance on its way to the hospital, and continued on with the injured man.

Another matter which was severely critized was the length of time it took the ambulance to reach the fire. It was fully 70 minutes from the time the conveyance was telephoned for until it reached the scene, whatever was the cause. It was possible, however, the drivers were not informed of the seriousness of the accident, and did not drive as quickly as they would have, had they been so acquainted.

At the hospital, it was found that DILLON, who weighed 286 pounds, was burnt terribly, parts of his body being bare of flesh, while the abdomen and left side were in a frightful condition. His left arm was also broken, caused, no doubt, when he struck the ground after being lifted out through the window. The head nurse and staff did all possible to alleviate pain, during the night, though it was evident that he received but little relief.

The alarm was rung in at 12:40, and the West End Company were very quickly on the scene, but a bungle followed, which does not speak too highly for some person. When the steam engine arrived, it was taken to the bank of Browning's river and orders given to adjust the apparatus. Either through carelessness or otherwise, the intake was put into the river before the other end was connected with the engine, and the suction hose length was eventually lost in the river. When the mistake was discovered, one of the firemen had to wade out to the waist to locate the hose length, and had some difficulty in finding it in the dark. This happening caused considerable delay. The hose connected to the old wooden hydrant on the road also worked dissatisfactorily, on two occasions the nozzle having to be removed and stones cleared from it. This latter is supposed to be brought about by some mischievous lads, who opened the hydrant and filled the connection pipe with stones, which gradually worked through with the water pressure and hindered the flow of water at the exit. When matters got in working order, and with the assistance of the Southside Volunteer Brigade, the fire was quickly distinguished, but not before DILLON's house and all its contents were destroyed.

Mrs. DILLON and her daughter were not at home when the fire occurred, she having gone to her sister's house, with the intention of returning after her husband had retired. She reached the scene, however, while the fire was in progress, and collapsed when told of her husband's condition, from which she has not since recovered. Everything in the house, including $80.00 cash, which took the poor woman several years to save, was destroyed, and she is now left penniless, homeless, husbandless, and with five orphan children. Her case is indeed a sad one, and one well worthy the consideration of the charitably disposed. To the mother, widow and children of deceased, universal sympathy is expressed, as not for some years has such a tragic death occurred and under such unfortunate circumstances.

Special thanks to Marina Carew Aita for her help with this project.

"Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing"
Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly prohibited and subject to legal action.


Page Contributed by Chris Shelley (August 29, 2000)
Page Revised by Don Tate (29 Aug 2000)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]