Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

1909 Newspaper Look-ups
The St. John's Daily News


Sat. Jan. 3, 1909


December 31st, a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. E. SKIFFINGTON.


On Wednesday, Stephen- H. KNIGHT, aged 75 years. Funeral at 2:30 this afternoon.

Yesterday morning, after a short illness, Mary, beloved wife of Edward SKIFFINGTON, aged 35 years, leaving a husband and five children to mourn their sad loss. Funeral to-morrow (Sunday) at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 22 Colonial Street. Friends and acquaintances please attend without further notice.

SAT. JAN. 3, 1909


(Portsmouth, N. H. Times, Dec. 23)
St. John's Church was the scene of a pretty wedding at high noon to-day, the contracting parties being Miss Maude WESTCOTT of this city and Obediah PEARCE of Calgary, Alberta.

The historic edifice was richly decorated in Christmas greens and three evergreen arches spanned the centre aisle. The altar was adorned with white chrysanthemums.

Wallace W. McINTYRE, organist of Christ Church, presided at the organ and rendered the "Lohengrin Wedding March" as the bridal party entered the church, where a large party of friends of the couple had assembled.

The bride was attired in a rich empire gown of corn-colored silk, and train; yoke of white tucked net, finished with lace; long sleeves with clusters of fine tucks; tucked girdle with sash ends. She wore a long veil of white tulle, caught at the lair with a spray of lilies of the valley and carried a bouquet of the same fragrant flowers, tied with white satin ribbon.

She was attended by her twin-sister, Miss Jeanette WESTCOTT, as maid-of-honor, who was attired in a princess gown of cream nun's veiling trimmed with lace and ribbon. Her bouquet was of pink carnations and she wore the bride's gift, a gold bracelet.

The best man was John L. POWELL of this city.

The ceremony was performed by the rector, Rev. Henry E. BOVEY, and at the conclusion of the impressive rites, the "Mendelssohn Wedding March" was rendered.

Following the nuptials, the bride party and several relatives partook of a wedding repast at the Kearsage Hotel.

Mr. and Mrs. PEARCE left on the 1:50 p.m. train for Boston for a few days stay and will then return to this city for a short visit, before leaving for Calgary, Alberta, where they will reside at the Grand Union Hotel for the winter.

The bride's travelling gown was of wine-colored broad cloth, tailor made long coat trimmed with stitched bands of satin of the same shade and large buttons; with this she wore a cream embroidered silk waist and black lynx toque with red and black wing.

Both bride and groom formerly lived in Carbonear, Newfoundland, the former having come to Portsmouth to reside a year or more ago. Since coming here, she has made many friends. The groom holds a position with the Canadian Pacific Railroad.

The many friends of the couple wish them much happiness in the future.

The wedding gifts included an assortment of dainty and useful articles and attested to the esteem of many friends.

The groom's gift to the bride was a gold watch. His tribute to the best man was a gold scarf pin. The bride's gift to the groom was a pair of gold cuff links.

WED. JAN. 12, 1909


A pretty ceremony took place yesterday afternoon, when Miss May COADY and Mr. J. V. O'DEA were united in the bonds of Matrimony. The ceremony, which took place at the residence of the bride's father, Pennywell Road, was performed by Rev. Mons. ROACHE. The bride looked charming, being attired in a costume of cream cloth, with hat to match, and was assisted by her cousin, Miss Mary St. John, who wore a costume of champagne-colored cloth. The groom was ably supported by Mr. T. COADY, cousin of the bride. After the ceremony, which was witnessed by a large number of friends, including Rev. Fr. MAHER, of St. Lawrence, and Rev. Fr. McGRATH, of Bell Island, had been performed, a sumptuous wedding supper was served. The happy couple were the recipients of numerous and costly presents, testifying to the esteem in which they are held by their many friends. Mr. and Mrs. O'DEA left by last evening's express for Halifax. There they will join the S.S. Grampian, on Saturday, and proceed to England, where they will visit all the principal cities. The honeymoon trip will occupy about two months. The "News" joins with their many friends in wishing Mr. and Mrs. O'DEA many happy years of wedded bliss.

TUE. JAN. 19, 1909


On Sunday night, at the Goulds, at 8:30 o'clock, Mrs. Charles DOYLE, aged 36, after a short illness, leaving a husband and 8 children, the oldest a little over 10 years old, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral takes place to-day (Tuesday), from her late residence, at the Goulds. (Halifax papers please copy)

APRIL 8, 1909


There passed away, April 7th, after a long illness, Kenneth FLEET, at his residence, 5 Long Street. Funeral on Friday, 9th, at 3 p.m. SNOW
Last night, at 9:30 o'clock, after a short illness, Mary Gertrude (Gertie) SNOW, beloved daughter of James and Mrs. SNOW, aged 8 years. Funeral on Friday at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 22 Prescott Street. Friends and acquaintances are requested to attend without further notice.

APRIL 19, 1909


On Sunday, 18th April, Mary Breen, widow of the late Charles HUFFMAN, leaving two sisters to mourn a sad loss. Funeral on Tuesday, at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, head Adelaide Street. Boston papers please copy.

MAY 19, 1909

The following guests registered at the Crosbie Hotel yesterday, B. RICHARDSON, Nippan, U.S.; C.A. HALL, Gloucester; W.J. OSGOOD, Boston; E.D. SHEDD, Toronto; W.H. ENNIS, Boston; T.E. BULLARD, New York; H.B. ROBINSON, Boston; F.B. GERRARD, Canso; H.A. LENNING, Montreal; J. Camille POUILOT, K.C., Mrs. POUILOT and child, L.O. BELLE, M. FRASER, Fraserville, Que.; J.A. SAMSON, Bienville, Que.


At Boston, May 12th, a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. P. RYAN.


Yesterday morning, Patrick W., son of Julia and the late James A. JORDAN. Funeral on Thursday, at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 160 Gower Street. Friends will accept this, the only intimation - R.I.P.

MAY 22, 1909


On Wednesday night a very pretty wedding was solemnized, when Mr. George BUCHANAN and Miss Margaret LEONARD were united in the bonds of Matrimony by the Rev. D. ROBERTSON. The bride looked charming in a handsome costume of cream crepe de chine, and was given away by her father. Miss Alice BUCHANAN, sister of the groom, was bridesmaid, while the groom was supported by Mr. Daniel LEONARD. After the ceremony the party proceeded to the residence of the bride's parents, 58 Flower Hill, where a wedding supper was served and a pleasant time spent by all. The News wishes Mr. and Mrs. BUCHANAN many years of wedded happiness.

The Annual Twenty Mile Walking Match at the St. Andrew's Club will take place on Wednesday, June 16th, the second half holiday of the season. Entries will be received probably up until the previous Saturday. Great interest is being taken in the event this year. A number of the intending contestants will represent different clubs in the city, and already several have started to get in condition for the event.

MAY 31, 1909

well-know cabman, is now seriously ill with lung trouble, and very little hopes are entertained of his permanent recovery. He has been ill for some time past, but on Saturday felt well enough to go about his regular duties. On the advice of his physician, Dr. TAIT, he is now remaining at his home. His disease is such that he will no longer be able to remain on the cabstand. He is selling out his horse and outfit.

The following registered at the Crosbie Hotel Saturday and yesterday: H.G. SMITH, Ireland; J. C. JONES, Halifax; Mr. and Mrs. HUNTRESS, England; Mr. and Mrs. W.H. WEBSTER, New York; Warland WRIGHT, Boston; Jesse HALSEY, Princeton, N.J.; R.S. ROSBOROUGH, Halifax; C.L. CANTLEY, New Glasgow; H.K. SCOTT, London; R.E. CHAMBERS, New Glasgow; Nathan LITTLE, Westmount; Jas. CAMPBELL, New York; Mrs. M.T. JONES, Harbour Grace; J.A. CHIQUETTE, G.W.A. GILLIES, Quebec; F.R. SHANKEL, M.D., Brigus.


MILROY-THORBURN - At Halifax, May 26, at the residence of the bride's father, 32 Queen Street, by the Rev. H. W. WARING, Mary A. S. MILROY to Robert M. THORBURN, eldest son of the late Hon. Sir Robert THORBURN, K.C.M.G., formerly Premier of Newfoundland.


This morning, after a short illness, Francis KNIGHT, H.M.C., aged 62 years. Funeral notice later.

On Saturday, May 29th After a long illness, Ethel Isobel, daughter of Head Constable and Annie PEET, aged 24 years. Funeral from her late residence, 87 Long's Hill, today (Monday) at 2:30 p.m. Friends will please accept this intimation.

Sunday morning, after a long illness, Margaret Mary, beloved wife of James KENNY, eldest daughter of Mary Ann and the late William VOISEY, leaving a husband, mother, four sisters and one brother to mourn the loss of a kind and loving wife and sister. Funeral on Tuesday, at 2:30 p.m. from her late residence, 87 Cabot Street. Friends and acquaintances please attend without further notice.

Passed peacefully away at 1:30 Saturday afternoon, Catherine COLLINS, wife of Capt. Michael COLLINS, leaving a husband, one brother, two sons and a daughter. Funeral today (Monday) at 2:30 p.m.

Saturday evening, Edward WALSH, late of Messrs. J. & W. PITTS' employ. Funeral today (Monday) at 2:30 p.m. from his late residence, 50 King's Road.

JUNE 28, 1909

Friday night Head Constable SHEPPARD and Constable POWER were called to Portugal Cove, to take charge of a resident, who had gone insane, and threatened bodily harm to his family. When the police arrived they found the man acting strangely, and decided to bring him on here, and have a doctor attend him. Upon arrival at the station Dr. FRASER was called, and examination allowed that the man was not suffering from "brain storms," but was only "out of sorts," owing to some domestic troubles. He will likely be allowed out, to return to his home, this morning.

"Gus" KEATING drove a tack in his right arm, last week, and blood poisoning resulted from the wound. Although the limb was badly swollen and gave him much pain, he played through the C.E.I. - St. Bon's match, on Thursday night, and again with the fives the same evening. He got his arm lanced, on Friday, and it is now rapidly healing.


On the 24th inst., at the residence of the bride, by the Rev. F.S. Coffin, Charles R. HALL, Manager of the Farmers Bank of Canada, to Helen, only daughter of E.B. McDOUGALL, formerly of this city.


On June 26th, Amellia, widow of the late James SKEANES, aged 83 years, leaving six daughters to mourn the sad loss of a kind and loving mother. Funeral today (Monday) at 2:30 p.m. from her late residence No. 13 Pilots' Hill. Friends and acquaintances please attend without further notice.

Passed away on Saturday morning, Jane E., widow of the lade G.W. UDLE. Funeral today (Monday) at 2:30 p.m. from her late residence, 144 Gower Street. Friends and acquaintances will please accept this the only intimation.

On the 26th inst., after a long and painful illness, the beloved wife of Richard GLENN, and daughter of John and Mary ROYAL. She leaves a husband, one child, father, mother, two brothers, two sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral today (Monday) at 2:30 p.m., from her parents' residence, No. 7 Lime Street.

JUNE 29, 1909


on the 27th inst., after a lingering illness, Solomon BUTT, aged 23 years, leaving a father and mother to mourn their loss. Funereal today (Tuesday) at 2:30 p.m. from his father's residence, No. 27 Stephen's Street. Friends and acquaintances please attend.

Last evening, at 3 o'clock, James WICKHAM, son of Johanna and the late Patrick WICKHAM. Funeral on Wednesday, at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 13 James Street. Friends and acquaintances please except, this, the only intimation.

OSMOND - Sunday, 27th inst., after a short illness, Elizabeth, wife of Aaron OSMOND, Moreton's Harbour, aged 48 years, leaving a husband, one son, four brothers and one sister to mourn their loss. Funeral today (Tuesday) at 2:30 p.m., from her brother's residence, 28 Scott Street.

PARMITER - Passed peacefully away, yesterday afternoon, Emma (Lay) PARMITER, aged 62 years. Funeral tomorrow (Wednesday) at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 2 Belvedere Street. Friends please accept this, the only intimation.

Wed. July 21, 1909


The marriage of Rev. Peter BRYCE and Miss WOODS, daughter of Hon. H. J. B. WOODS, P.M.G., was solemnised at the parental home, King's Bridge Road, yesterday afternoon, by the Rev. F. R. MATTHEWS, B.B., Pastor of Cochrane Street Methodist Church. The bride was attended by her sister, Miss MILLICENT, and the groom by Mr. Wilfred PIPPY. Miss WOODS has always been prominent in church and other philanthropic work, and will be much missed by her associates in this city. As one of the staff of the Methodist College, Miss WOODS' services were esteemed most highly. Rev. Mr. BRYCE was a former minister of the Methodist connection in this colony, having labored at Bay of Islands, with much acceptance. Subsequently, he went to Toronto University, and is at present engaged at Toronto in the work of his exalted calling. After the wedding, Mr. and Mrs. BRYCE bade adieu to the home friends and took the evening express for their future home in Toronto, via Montreal. At the later place, a few days will be spent amongst friends. The "News" extends very cordial congratulations and good wishes to the newly wedded couple.

Last evening at 8 o'clock, an interesting event took place at St. Thomas's Church, when Mr. E. Allen DOWDEN and Miss Philla PAYNE of this city, were united in the bond's of Holy Matrimony. A large number of relatives and friends of the contracting parties were present during the ceremony, which was performed by Rev. G. Ross GODDEN, M.A., Sr. Curate of the Church. The bride looked charming in a handsomely fitting wedding gown of pale blue silk with a dainty hat of white material. She was attended by Miss DOWDEN, sister of the groom, and Miss Elsie EDWARDS, both of whom looked very attractive in white muslin gowns, with black picture hats. Mr. WILLIAMS, uncle of the bride, acted as father giver, and the groom was supported by his brother, Mr. Reginald DOWDEN, of the "Herald". While the wedding party was leaving the Church, at the conclusion of the ceremony, the wedding march was rendered on the new organ, in a very beautiful manner, by the organist, Mr. STIRLING. This is the first wedding at which the march has been played since the new organ was installed, and in after years it will be a happy incident to be recalled. The happy party then proceeded to the residence of the groom's mother, on Mullock St., where a sumptuous wedding supper was served, after which all left for the future residence of the happy couple, on Circular Road, where a most enjoyable evening was spent. The respect, and esteem, in which the bride and groom are held by their friends was amply demonstrated by the array of presents. In wishing Mr. and Mrs. DOWDEN very many years of happiness, the "News" is but voicing the sentiments of their many friends.

Wed. July 28, 1909


The wedding ceremony which took place in the S.A. Citadel on Monday night, in which Ensign Arthur BRISTOW, late of Toronto, and Ensign E.M. MERCER, who, until recently, was Principal of the S.A. College on Springdale Street, were the interested parties, was a most pleasing one.

The Citadel was tastefully decorated for the occasion, and the large and interested crowd that gathered to witness the ceremony, evidenced the great popularity of the bride.

The service was conducted by Lieut. Col. REES, and throughout it was a most impressive one, and both the bride and the groom acquitted themselves creditably.

After the knot was tied, Colonel REES read a number of congratulatory messages which had been received from numerous friends in Canada and Newfoundland, including one from the Chief Secretary of the Salvation Army in Canada, which contained the pleasing news that the Ensign had been promoted to the rank of Adjutant. Rounds of applause greeted this announcement.

The Band then played a very beautiful selection, after which the Colonel called upon several officers to speak. Adjutant and Mrs. BRISTOW then briefly addressed the meeting. The earnest, soulful words of the Adjutant appealed to every heart, and the Citadel Corps is certainly to be congratulated on their new leaders. The service closed with the singing of the Doxology.

Colonel REES had made arrangements for the newly-married couple to meet the officers and teachers at present gathered in the city for Council in the Young People's Hall, where refreshments were served, and an enjoyable hour was spent.

Mon. Aug. 16, 1909

The barqt. Lake Simcoe, Captain George JACKMAN, arrived in port late Friday night, 34 days from Pernambuco. Fine weather was experienced until our coast was reached, and since it has been unpleasant, Capt. JACKMAN brought full particulars of how her late commander, Capt. TIZZARD, was drowned the night the ship left this port. A heavy N.E. gale was raging, with high seas at the time, and the vessel was running out the gale, going at the rate of about eleven knots an hour. About 8:30 p.m. a heavy sea came aboard aft, almost washing the captain overboard. He stood near the wheel with Seaman HOLDMAN, who was steering, and to save himself grabbed the binnacle, putting out the lamp. Bosun DUDER, who was forward, was called and sent below with the lamp to light it. Capt. TIZZARD remained on deck, and the boson had only gone a few seconds when the Simcoe shipped another sea aft, which carried poor TIZZARD with it to a watery grave. Nothing could be done to save him, and the vessel continued to run before the gale, it being impossible to put her about in such a storm. The affair cast a gloom over the ship, Capt. TIZZARD being a great favorite with the men

Tue. Aug. 17, 1909

North Sydney, Aug. 13
In a fit of despondency, license inspector Louis MUSGRAVE shot himself in the head about 10:30 last night and now lies at the point of death at his home. The ball fired from a revolver entered the forehead above the eye and buried itself somewhere in the head. Two physicians were hurriedly called but the bullet had not yet been extracted and it is feared he cannot recover.

Of late Mr. MUSGRAVE has worried much over the liquor situation here and remarked yesterday that the temperance people as well as the liquor dealers were against him.

The shot was fired in the kitchen, and when found by his wife he was still standing. He shortly after sat down, and when the physicians arrived they found him still conscious and blood oozing from the would.

Mr. MUSGRAVE had a fall from the top of a building many years ago, which at the time affected his mind. He had, however, entirely recovered, but his health has never been so good.

Another reason assigned for the rash deed was the criticism he has received of late concerning his inability to keep down the liquor traffic. This appears to have worried him much, and he was heard to remark that he was as well out of the world as having to put up with all that.

Mon. Aug. 23, 1909


We chronicle to-day, with deep regret, the death of George J. ROWE, Esq., Mus. Bac., of Hamilton, Bermuda, in his sixty-ninth year. For many years, Mr. ROWE was a prominent figure in this city, particularly in musical circles, his ability being of a very high order, as many of his old pupils who held him in high esteem and cherish the most pleasant memories of him, can testify. Mr. ROWE came to this country in the sixties, as a teacher to the Colonial and Continental School Society and as choir master to the Church of England Cathedral, positions which he held with exceptional ability. After a somewhat short residence here, he went to Racine, Wisconsin, where he remained about eight years as Principal of Racine College. He subsequently returned to St. John's, and once more took up his duties as choir master at the Cathedral and master at Bishop Field College during the regime of Rev. J. F. PHELPS. It was in musical circles he was best known. Through his efforts, the Choral Society was established, and lovers of music will long remember the earnestness and zeal he manifested in that direction. Failing health, due to excessive strain and overwork, caused a partial breakdown, which made it necessary for him to abandon the profession he loved and seek rest in another country, where the climate was more congenial and calculated to restore him sufficiently to again resume the work which he very unwillingly laid down. His naturally nervous temperament was also too far impaired, and after spending about six years seeking the improvement which never came, he passed away, deeply regretted by all who had the privilege of his acquaintance. The family here were apprised of his death by Rev. Canon MARRIOTT, of Hamilton, Bermuda, whose father was a life long friend to Mr. ROWE. A strange coincidence that these two friends who labored here together for many years, should now lay side by side in a country so far distant from the scene of their labors. His wife predeceased him some years ago. The surviving members of his family are one son, George M., now resident in London, England, and four daughters, Mrs. (Hon.) S. MILLEY, Mrs. W. J. MARTIN, Mrs. John H. TAYLOR, of this city, and Mrs. E. E. BULLEY, of Pass Island, Fortune Bay. To these and other relatives, the "News" joins with many friends in extending heartfelt sympathy.


On the 19th inst., a daughter to Alice and Walter BISHOP (Mail Clerk, S.S. Prospero.)


On Sunday morning, August 22, Thomas Joseph, the beloved child of Thomas J. and Josephine M. THORBURN, aged 8 months.

On Saturday night, Bertha, beloved wife of J. S. SQUIRES, and daughter of Caroline and the late Emanuel MITCHELL. Funeral at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, from No. 1 Pleasant Street. (Boston papers please copy).

WHITTEN - On the 21st inst., at her late residence, Southside, after a long illness, Lucy Jane, daughter of the late William and Annie WHITTEN. Funeral today, Monday, at 2:30 p.m. Friends and relatives will please attend without further notice.

ARMSTRONG - Passed peacefully away on the 22nd inst., Johanna Hogan, relic of the late James ARMSTRONG, aged 67 years. Funeral on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 91 Carter's Hill. Friends please attend without further notice. May her soul rest in peace.

MORRISSEY - Suddenly, of heart failure, last evening, Terence J. MORRISSEY, only son of the late Capt. James MORRISSEY, aged 45 years, leaving 6 children and 1 sister to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 20 Gilbert Street. Friends and acquaintances please accept this, the only intimation.

Fortified by the last rites of Holy Church there passed away at 5 last evening, at the General Hospital, Patrick MURPHY, cooper, youngest son of the late Catherine and Sylvester MURPHY, late of Southside, aged 44 years. Funeral at 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, from his brother's residence, 33 Monkstown Road. Relatives and friends will accept this as the only intimation. No flowers; no crepe. R.I.P.

Tues. Aug. 24, 1909


Yesterday morning, after a long and painful illness, May, only daughter of Michael and the late Ellen MULLALY, aged 20 years. Funeral on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 14 Brennan Street. Friends and relatives are respectfully requested to attend. May she rest in peace.

Wed. Aug. 25, 1909

There died at noon yesterday at his residence, Freshwater Road, Captain John TURNER, one of the few remaining men who, by their energy and perseverance, have made Newfoundland what it is today. Born at St. Brendan's, Bonavista Bay, he prosecuted the fishery for half a century. He went to the sealfishery with the late Captain Terence HALLERAN and other famous Vikings, and afterwards sailed his own vessels, and was one of the last to give up prosecuting the sealfishery in a sailing vessel. In the year 1862 (Green Bay Spring) he lost his vessel, the Mary Ann, and himself and crew had to come by punts a distance of over 60 miles, sometimes hauling the boats over the ice and then rowing them through lakes of water until they arrived at their homes in Bonavista Bay. Capt. TURNER possessed great descriptive power and was fully conversant with the chief topics connected with the sealfishery and the heroes of the frozen pans for the past fifty years or more.

Of late years he carried on a trading business, in which he was very successful. His whole life was characterized by pluck, energy and unswerving integrity, the fruits of which he had the satisfaction to enjoy in his declining years. He was married to Miss O'NEILL, of a well known and respected family of Bay de Verde who survives him. The deceased was in his 66th year. An exemplary and practical Catholic, he died fortified with the rites of the Church. - Requiescat in Pace.

Mon. Sept. 27, 1909


Last night, at about 9 o'clock, Mr. H. D. REID's auto was running up Water Street, near Alexander Street. At the same time, two cabs were coming from an opposite direction, one behind the other, the former being owned by Mr. R. DRUKEN and the other by Mr. Thomas VOISEY. When near the gas house, Mr. REID turned his car and crossed the road, clearing the first cab. He could not have been aware of the presence or proximity of the second one, and turned to cross once more when the front of the auto struck the left front wheel of Mr. VOISEY's "vic." twisting it violently in against the trees which border the promenade there. The force of the impact was so great that a woman, who was in the cab, was hurled over the side and right into the hood of the auto, but beyond a couple of slight cuts, she was uninjured. Two men, who were also passengers, escaped unhurt. Mr. VOISEY himself, however, was not so fortunate. When the collision occurred he was thrown from the box. The shafts had been broken and the horse started away. Mr. VOISEY retained his grasp on the whip and reins, and was dragged by the animal to the foot of Patrick Street before the horse could be brought up. Mr. VOISEY was injured about the right hip by the fall and subsequent effort to stop the horse, and will be laid up a day or so as a result, meanwhile the lady passenger was looked after, and the remains of the cab were taken to Mr. REID's garage and housed for the night. The horse, beyond a couple of slight cuts, was uninjured. In the motor car, with Mr. REID, were a couple of ladies, who kept perfectly cool under the circumstances. The party went home by street car, while the others busied themselves about extricating the automobile, which had become wedged between a post and a tree. The post had to be afterwards cut away to admit of the machine being taken out, which was eventually successfully accomplished, and it was driven to the garage for slight repairs.

The Warrant and Non-Commissioned Officers of the C.C.C. will, by permission of the Committee of Management, hold a series of entertainments during the coming season in aid of the Armoury Extension Fund. They will hold their inaugural about the latter part of next month, when a dance will be given in the British-- Hall. Yesterday morning a meeting was held for the purpose of electing an Executive, and on Armoury Sergeant J. MURPHY being moved to the chair, the following officers were installed: Chairman, Sergt. Major J. J. O'GRADY; Vice-Chairman, Corp. L.C. MURPHY; Treasurer, Lanc. Corp. P. BROWN; Secretary, Sergt. J.J. DONNELLY. With such an energetic board of officers, it is safe to predict a successful issue.

Sat. Nov. 6, 1909


A beautiful life closed yesterday at the General Hospital, when the gentle soul of Miss Bertha JARDINE passed away. For some time she had been unwell, and a fortnight ago came to the city to undergo an operation for complicated appendicitis. The operation proved too much for her strength, and death resulted. Miss JARDINE was the daughter of John JARDINE, ESQ., J.P., of Bay Roberts, and was esteemed and admired by hosts of friends in the city and outport alike. Her sweet disposition, charming friendliness, and exceptional talent are all well known. In social life she took a leading place, and was ever ready to employ her musical talent in aid of any worthy cause. Here in St. John's she has been warm welcome in the Synod, College and Presbyterian Halls, and only recently the C.C.C. and Highlanders were indebted to her for assistance in their programmes. She leaves behind, to mourn the loss of their well-loved child and sister, father, mother, three sisters and a brother, all residing in Bay Roberts; Mr. James JARDINE, of H.M. Customs, is an uncle. The body will be conveyed by train to Bay Roberts this morning, and the funeral takes place on Monday after the arrival of the train from the city.
"Sleep sweetly tender heart, in peace;
Sleep holy spirit, blessed soul,
While the stars burn, the moons increase,
And the great ages roll."

Tue. Nov. 23, 1909

From passengers who arrived by yesterday's express we learn that a young man was left by his father, in the vicinity of Spruce Brook, Monday last, bleeding to death. Owen ALEXANDER and his father of Stephenville went into the woods on Monday, Nov. 15th, deer stalking. While going through the forest, bad weather set in, with a thick fog, and both decided on making a camp for the night. OWEN had been gathering boughs to make a bed. He was hewing the limb of a tree with his axe, when the axe accidentally slipped, with the result that it took a portion of his foot off. The old man, although grief stricken, with great presence of mind immediately wrapped his shirt around the wound, and after making his son as comfortable as possible, started off for Spruce Brook to get assistance. The father arrived at Spruce Brook on Tuesday evening, in an exhausted condition, after a whole day's travelling through a thick forest. Not finding anyone there he proceeded to Stephenville to relate his son's awful predicament. A party of volunteers left with the father on Tuesday night, but search as they may, the unfortunate man's whereabouts could not be determined. He had only sufficient food to last him a day, and it is feared he has succumbed to hunger, if not from the effects of the wound.


Yesterday afternoon the funeral of the late Mr. BUTLER took place at Fox Trap. Deceased was a member of the S.U.F., which Society followed the remains to the grave, headed by their band, which was directed by Mr. Thos. BENNETT, of this city. As the funeral procession left the house the Dead March in Saul was played, and also when nearing the cemetery. Mr. BUTLER was a highly respected resident, and his funeral was the largest seen for some time.


Last evening, at Rae Island, George NEVILLE, late Inspector of Lighthouses, in his 86th year.

Yesterday morning, Albert Gordon, beloved child of George and Mary PEARCEY, aged 1 year and 7 months. "Asleep in Jesus."

Sun. Nov. 28, 1909

The funeral of the late Piece J. BRIEN took place yesterday afternoon, and was largely attended. Interment was at Belvedere.

Mr. Michael WALSH, baker, of King's Road, and a Miss WALSH, of Middle Cove, will be united in matrimony this afternoon at the R.C. Cathedral.


At St. Patrick's Church, Wednesday, 24th, by Rev. J. McDERMOTT, Miss Catherine WALSH, to Mr. Michael O'REILLY.


Last evening after a long illness Mr. Nicholas BULGER, leaving a widow. Funeral on Monday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 115 Pleasant Street. Boston papers please copy.

The CARROLL family desire to express their sincere thanks to Mr. John MAUNDER and employees for the beautiful wreath sent to adorn the coffin of their beloved mother; also to Mrs. Richard BARTER, Mrs. MANSFIELD, Mrs. Wm. FOLEY, Mr. John CARROLL, and all kind friends who sympathized with them in their sad bereavement.

Special thanks to Marina Carew Aita for her help with this project.

"Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing"
Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly prohibited and subject to legal action.


Page Contributed by Chris Shelley (August 17, 2000)
Page Revised by Don Tate (1 Sep 2000)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]