Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

1908 Newspaper Look-ups
The St. John's Daily News


Thur. Jan. 2, 1908



At an early hour on the last day of the old year, Mrs. Harriet HELE, mother of Mrs. W. W. BLACKALL, passed peacefully away at the residence of her daughter. The deceased lady had reached the age of 73 years, and it had been an invalid for some time, for the past two years, indeed, being confined to the house. It was only on Monday week, however, that she felt compelled to keep to her bed, where during the subsequent days, she quietly faded away. Mrs. HELE was the widow of the late Dr. Nicholas HELE, of Rowley House, Aldeburgh, Suffolk, England, and a daughter of Colonel SHUTE, one of the crack regiments, of Bristol, and has been a resident here for some time. In addition to Mrs. BLACKALL, two other daughters survive her, one residing here and one in London; her only grandchildren being the children of Mrs. BLACKALL.

Mon. Jan. 6, 1908



By yesterday morning's express, Edward KEALS, of Glovertown, Alexander Bay, arrived here to enter hospital. Rev. A. MERCER accompanied him. Last spring, KEALS sprained his ankle, which was not properly set after the accident. Recently, his body began to swell, and blood poisoning set in, causing intense pain. Mr. D. MORISON, M.H.A., was informed of KEALS condition and had the ambulance at the station to convey him to hospital. Rev. Mr. MERCER, speaking to the "News", says that at KEALS' home, another brother is ill, and the father is also confined to his bed. They are a large family and are not in the best of circumstances, and the case is one that should interest the charitably disposed. Rev. Mr. MERCER returned to Glovertown by yesterday's express.


Mr. Patrick O'CONNELL, of Brookland Street, Sydney, father of Dr. O'CONNELL, of Harbor Breton, died last Tuesday, aged 66. He was the father of 12 children, all of whom survive.

Many in Newfoundland will remember Mrs. Mary COMBEN, wife of the Rev. Charles COMBEN. She died at St. John, N. B., on Dec. 22nd, in her 74th year. Mrs. COMBEN was a native of Dorsetshire, England.

Mrs. BOWDRIDGE, wife of Capt. Sampson BOWDRIDGE, of Sydney, died after a few hours illness at Murray Harbor, P.E.I., on the 30th ult., in her 52nd year. Internment was made at Sydney, The deceased lady was mother of Miss Melinda BOWDRIDGE, of Burin. A son was lost from the S.S. Baines Hawkins about two years ago.



The grim reaper has been responsible for many sad homes since the present festive season, but probably in no family circle has such a void been created as is caused by the departure of the subject of this notice, - a passing away which was almost as tragic in its sadness. A peaceful and happy household was that of Francis and Ellen PIPPY, on New Year's Day, and the central figure, who found the greatest satisfaction in seeing her own joyous spirit reflected in her parents, was their dearly beloved daughter, now cold in death. Almost without warning, the Heavenly Father wished her from this world of trouble, and in the form of an attack of pneumonia was the summons conveyed to her family. All that could be done in the way of medical assistance was quickly rendered, but almost before the illness was thought serious, her soul had gone to its reward, after making its peace through the rites of the church of which she was so worthy a daughter. Of a kind a lovable nature, it is not to be wondered that the members of the family, who are left, find it difficult to be reconciled to her loss, for the like feeling is experienced by her numerous friends and companions outside. In addition to the heart-broken parents, there are left to share their grief two brothers, Mr. John C. PIPPY, of Ayre & Sons' grocery, and the Rev. Joseph F. PIPPY, at present at the Propaganda College, Rome, who will probably be returning home fully ordained to the Priesthood about June next. It was this event, - this reunion of the happy and devoted group, - to which the deceased looked forward with the greatest eagerness and pleasure. The All-Wise Creator has seen fit to will, that it should not be so, and it but remains for the family to find consolation in the knowledge that a pure and holy life is now reaping its reward. To those who remain to mourn, we tender our deepest sympathy.


On Saturday afternoon, Mr. John CURTIN, grocer, passed away at his home, Duckworth Street, East, after a protracted illness. Mr. CURTIN was well known in the city, being engaged in the grocery business for a number of years. He was a brother of Mr. Dan CURTIN, foreman of J. J. St. John's grocery, Duckworth Street. To his widow and relatives, the "Daily News"tenders its sympathy.

Wed. Tues. Jan. 7, 1908



As told in the "News", Captain PIERCY, of the schooner "Arkansas", from Oporto, which reached Trepassy on the 25th ult., reported the loss of two men on the evening of the 24th, John EVANS and Isaac MOORES. Sad to say poor EVANS was the brother of the late Capt. Edward EVANS of the ill fated schr. "Orion", and leaves a wife and four children and a mother to mourn their loss. Isaac MOORES was a native of Jersey Harbor, and leaves a widowed mother who was entirely dependent on him for support. According to the report, Capt. PIERCY was running his vessel before a moderate gale of wind, under a single reefed foresail and, deeming it wise to further secure his head sail before night, he himself took the helm, and while two others of the crew, beside the poor fellows who are lost, were on the bowsprit at work, a tremendous cross sea suddenly swept down on the vessel and buried all her main deck in a smother of foaming sea. The Captain expected, before the vessel emerged from the sea, to see nothing but wreck and ruin and was horrified to see the struggling forms of two of his crew being borne away on the crest of a mighty wave. All that mortal man could do was done, even at the risk of carrying away the spars and sweeping her fore and aft. The Captain jibed the sail and brought her to the wind, and is the opinion that, as she was coming to one poor fellow grasped the log line, but the strain was too great, and it suddenly snapped and after that, the poor fellow disappeared. Their sad burial place is just on the outer edge of the Grand Banks, there to rest until at the command of Him, who holdeth the waters in the hollow of His hand. They sleep as well beneath the silvery tide as others under turf. The "Arkansas" reached Grand Bank on the 29th ult.



The Angel of Death has no respect of persons, but knoweth all. Mrs. Robert MOORE, wife of one of our best-known citizens, was touched yesterday, and obeyed the summons with that Christian fortitude that was characteristic of her through life. Though in failing health for some time, her disease was not considered serious, and when the family were made aware , some days ago, that a fatal termination would result, they still hoped for the better. A change took place, but for the worse, and though sorrowful, they willingly submitted to the Omnipotent. Deceased was of a kind, retiring disposition, and had many friends in the city and also in the outports, who will deeply regret her demise. She is survived by her husband, two sons, John and Robert, two married daughters, Mrs. D. P. REDMOND and Mrs. R. COMERFORD, and one unmarried daughter, Miss Katie, to whom the "News" extends condolence.

Wed. Jan 15, 1908



At 5:30 yesterday evening, the Angel of Death brought the final summons to Mr. George WHITE, of Cathedral Street. A year ago last summer, Mr. WHITE was struck by a street car, and since then his health has been poor. With characteristic grit, he stuck to his post; but some weeks ago, heart weakness supervened, and it was evident that the end would not long be delayed. Quietly and in perfect peace and submission, he "fell on sleep", at the age of 73.

The late George WHITE was a native of Trinity, and came to St. John's at the age of 12 years. He was a carriage smith, learning his trade with old Mr. McGRATH, and working with his son, Thomas McGRATH, until death closed the business. He then worked with the late John CARNELL, and after a brief intermission in the United States, with Mr. Samuel COLLIER, with whom he has been during the past eleven years. Mr. WHITE was a member of the old Phoenix Fire Brigade, and at the time of his death, was the oldest member of the Mechanic's Society, his name standing first on the roll. In his more active days, he was prominent in the political circles, and was one of the most valued members of the Kent and O'MARA Committees. His widow, who is a member of the well-known and highly esteemed POWER family of this city, a son, Mr. Thomas M. WHITE, formerly Councilor, and a daughter, Mrs. WILCOX, of Naugatuck, Connecticut, with several grandchildren, survive, to whom we extend sincere sympathy and consolation, to realize that the departed loved one played his part right manfully on the stage of life, leaving behind the rare legacy of sterling character and honored reputation. The funeral will take place to-morrow.


Placentia was the scene of a very pretty wedding on Thursday last, when Mr. Patrick CANNING of Dunville, led to the alter Miss Mary QUILTY. The bride looked charming in a dress of pearl-grey cashmere, with hat to match, and was attended by Miss Maggie KEMP, while the groom was ably supported by his brother Mr. John CANNING. After the wedding ceremony, the happy couple, with their friends to the number of 50, returned to the home of the groom's father, where a sumptuous repast was partaken of, after which dancing was indulged in till the wee small hours. The happy couple were the recipients of many valuable and useful presents. We join with their many friends in wishing them many years of happiness.

Mon. Jan. 20, 1908



Yesterday afternoon, gloom was cast over the town of Brigus, Conception Bay, and the home of John WHALEN thrown into mourning by the death, from drowning, of his two sons, Joseph and Stephen, aged respectively 12 and 14 years. The boys left their home early in the morning, with a small slide or catamaran, to go for a load of boughs. They crossed Brigus big pond, and having cut their load, started for home. In crossing the pond, the ice broke under them, when some distance from the shore, and both went down in several feet of water. The fatality was witnessed by several men, who were some distance from the scene. They hurried to the spot, but were unable to render assistance in time to save the boys, owing to the ice around where they were struggling, being to thin to bear them up. From the meager reports of the accident obtainable at this time, it appears that the boys made a brave struggle, and several times attempted to get on to the ice, which broke under them at each attempt, and they finally disappeared from view, sinking to their death. A search was at once commenced for the bodies, nearly all the male population of the town joining in it, and the body of Joseph was recovered before night set in, and it was expected that the other body would be found yesterday. The family have sympathy of the community in their great sorrow, in which the "News" joins.

Mon. Jan. 20, 1908



At Englee, we heard of the sad loss by drowning of a good and true man, of the name of James HANDCOCK. With his son, Mark, he was driving home from the mill at Roddickton, when the dogs suddenly ran into the open water. After a prolonged immersion, and battling with the ice, the son beat his way through the slob to the shore, but was too exhausted to get out the dogs and komatik, or his father, whose feet, tangled in the traces, he could still see in the loose ice. He was just able to struggle to a neighboring house. Had it not been a very mild day, he must also have perished. Help was at once sent off. But on the recovery of the immersed man, he was, of course, dead, though four out of seven dogs, after being four full hours in that freezing salt water, were alive enough to recover. The sad event has cast quite a gloom over the place. For we have all known and valued the good man who has thus tragically been called away.

A very pretty wedding took place here on Wednesday, the 8th inst., at the residence of the bride's parents, when Miss Katie O'LEARY was united in hymen's bonds to Mr. Joseph COOMBES, both residents of this place. The marriage ceremony was performed by the Rev. Wm. BORN, P.P., of Trepassy. The bride was given away by her father, Mr. Denis O'LEARY, and looked charming, attired in a suit of white mousseline de soui, with veil and wreath of white carnations. The bridesmaids were Miss Annie O'LEARY, sister of the bride, and Miss Ellen COOMBES, sister of the groom. Miss Katie O'LEARY, A. A. telegraph operatoress, of this town, and Miss Winnie CAREY, of Mobile, both cousins of the bride. All were becomingly dressed in suits of white muslin, except Miss CAREY, who wore pink. Mr. Patrick COOMBES, brother of the groom, acted as best man. Messrs. J. O'LEARY, I. PERRY, and S. O'LEARY were also the groom's attendants. The groom's present to the bride was a handsome silver brooch; her friends also presented her with many useful and valuable presents. There were about 150 present at the ceremony, after which supper was partaken of and dancing kept up till the wee small hours of the morning.

Wed. Jan. 22, 1908



The body of Thomas DOYLE, who had been missing from the Poor Asylum since Thursday, 16th inst., was found in McNeil's Grove, not far away from the institution, yesterday morning, by Dennis WHITE and Patrick HOUSE. The deceased left the Poor Asylum about 8:50 a.m. on the morning of the 16th inst., and not returning that night, the Superintendent of the institution reported the matter to the police on Friday, the 17th. Two inmates were sent out to search for the old man and found that he had been seen on Saturday between 10 and 11 in the forenoon, near Stanley's on Waterford Bridge Road. Nothing more was heard of him until his frozen body was found yesterday morning. The ambulance was sent out and his body brought to the morgue, where it lay until midnight last night, when undertaker CAREW coffined it, and removed it to the house of Mrs. Michael QUIGLY, a niece of the old man; from there the funeral will take place. He has one sister living, Mrs. Johanna CARROLL, Gower Street, who is 75 years old, and was very much affected when told of her brother. The deceased was 84 years old. He worked as cooper at Job Bros. & Co. for 50 years. He was a well-known and respected citizen during his active years, and up to the time of the bank crash, had independent means. He lost, it is said, $1500 in the Commercial Bank, and from that day he became despondent and only a short while ago voluntarily sought admission to the Poor House.

Mon. Jan. 27, 1908



On Saturday, 25th inst., after a long and painful illness, William E. ANDREWS, aged 77 years, leaving one brother and one son to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Tuesday, at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 66 King's Road; friends and acquaintances will please accept this, the only intimation. No crepe.


On Saturday, 25th, after a short illness, Johanna, widow of the late John O'BRIEN, aged 55 years, leaving two daughters and one son to mourn their sad loss. Funeral to-day, Monday, at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 15 Holloway Street. R.I.P.


Accidentally killed at Bell Island on Friday evening last, Michael GAUL, aged 18 years, leaving a father , mother, one little brother and three sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral to-day, Monday, at 1:30 p.m., from his father's residence, Topsail Road; friends and acquaintances will please accept this, the only intimation.


At Prince Albert, Western Canada, Jan 16th, Bridget KEATING, wife of Thomas BEARNS, leaving a husband and five children. Funeral took place from the Cathedral, after Requiem Mass. Deceased was a native of St. John's.

Wed. Feb. 5, 1908


Yesterday morning at Ventnor, Isle of Wright, after a short illness, Jas. GORDON, aged 65 years. WHITEWAY -
At 3 a.m. yesterday morning, Mrs. Ann WHITEWAY, at her late residence, Alma Place, Charlton Street. Funeral on Thursday at 2:45 p.m.; friends and acquaintances will please accept this, the only intimation. WHITE -
At St. John, N.B., Jan 25th, William J. WHITE, aged 33 years. Funeral at 2:30 p.m. to-morrow, Thursday afternoon, from his fathers residence, 188 LeMarchant Road; friends and acquaintances will please accept this, the only intimation.


There passed away to her eternal reward at 3 a.m. yesterday, much and deservedly regretted, Mrs. Ann WHITEWAY, in her 86th year. The deceased lady had resided in St. John's for a long period, having, with her husband and family, transferred their home from Musgrave Harbor nearly forty years ago. Her husband died in 1875. A large family of six sons and four daughters, all of whom, with the exception of Mrs. J. B. WHEELER, who died some years ago, are left to mourn the loss of a kind, affectionate, and thoughtful parent. Sons of the deceased are: Charles, of Musgrave Harbor; William T., architect, Vancouver; Augustus S., architect and builder, Moscow, Idaho, U.S.A.; Robert H., Toronto; Capt. Eli and Jesse, this city. Daughters are: Mrs. WINSOR, widow of the late Capt. Wm. WINSOR, Wesleyville; Mrs. DRODGE, Boston; and Mrs. ATWILL, St. John's.

"The righteous soul that takes its flight,
        Far from this world of pain,
In God's eternal bosom blest,
        Forever shall remain."

Wed. Feb 12, 1908


Passed peacefully away on Monday, Feb. 10th., Maria, aged 23 years, beloved wife of Herbert REID, and daughter of Mr. and Mrs. F. TAIT, leaving a husband, one child, father, mother, and three sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral to-day (Wednesday) at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 35 Scott Street. Friends and Acquaintances will please accept this, the only intimation.

At Cambridgeport, Anastatia Murphy, beloved wife of M. F. NORTON, leaving a husband, one child and a sister in Cambridge, a mother, two sisters and one brother in this city. to mourn their sad loss. R.I.P.

At Las Palmas, Grand Canary, on Monday, Feb. 10th, after a long illness, Dr. W. F. KENNEDY, only son of Patrick and Margaret KENNEDY. R.I.P.

At 1 this morning, Mrs. Catherine WALSH, widow of the late William WALSH, aged 74 years, leaving one son and two daughters. Funeral on Friday, at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 21 Flower Hill. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further notice. No crepe.

Feb. 22, 1908


This morning, after a protracted illness, Edward DENIEF, a native of County Kilkenny, Ireland. Funeral on Sunday at 2:30 p.m. from his late residence 24 Quidi Vidi Road. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further notice.

On the 21st inst., after a short illness, Theresa, daughter of James and Catherine LEARY, aged 25 years. Funeral on Sunday at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 9 Plymouth Road.

Feb. 25, 1908


The grim reaper of Death has again visited the peaceful hamlet of Avondale, and, unmindful of causing pain and sorrow, has carried to the Great Beyond, a young man in the prime of life, in the person of William DEVEREAUX. The deceased was only 22 years of age, and was a son of John and Mary DEVEREAUX, and the great loss to them of a dutiful and loving son is felt very much. He was known and loved by all, for his gentle and unassuming nature won for him many friends. Last year he contracted a heavy cold, but nothing serious was thought of until a few weeks ago he was taken with a very severe pain in the head, which later developed into brain fever, and in spite of medical aid, the merciless disease quenched the fire of his young life. The funeral was the largest seen in Avondale for some time, and after requiem Mass was celebrated by Rev. J. ROE, the mournful procession wended its way to Avondale cemetery, where internment took place.

"This world is all a fleeting show,
        For man's illusion giv'n;
The smiles of joy, the tears of woe,
        Deceitful shine, deceitful flow;
There's nothing true but Heaven.

Avondale, Feb. 21st, 1908.

Feb. 29, 1908



Mr. Charles THOMAS, the victim of the Nova Scotia Co.'s machine shop accident, at Bell Island, on Tuesday, passed away on Thursday night. The injured limb was amputated, and there was hopes for his recovery, but a change for the worse set in on Thursday, and he sank rapidly, and breathed his last at 11 o'clock on Thursday night. The remains will be brought to the city for internment, which will take place to-morrow afternoon. The deceased was foreman in the machine shop of the N. S. S. Co., having been in the employ several years. He was the son of Mr. Matthew THOMAS, Freshwater Road, was 46 years of age, and leaves a wife and six children. The "News" sympathizes with the bereaved relatives in their trouble.


A quiet wedding took place Wednesday night last at the R.C. Cathedral, Mr. E. F. KELLY, teamster at Harvey and Co.'s, and Miss Hannah RAY, formerly of the Royal Stores' clothing department, being the contracting parties. Right Rev. Monsignor ROACH officiated. The bride was handsomely attired, and was attended by Miss Lizzie THORNE, while Mr. J. BENNETT supported the groom. After the ceremony, the happy couple and a number of guests drove to the residence of the bride, where supper was served, and an enjoyable evening spent.

Mon. Mar. 9, 1908


News was received in town, on Saturday, of the death, at Oderin, at 3 p.m. on Friday, of Richard McGRATH, Esq., J.P., at the ripe old age of 87. He had been in failing health for some time past, but the end was rather unexpected.

Mr. McGRATH was a man of sterling character, and was as widely respected as he was well known. He was for years a prominent figure in the commercial and political life of the Colony, and represented the district of Placentia and St. Mary's in the Legislature in the early days of responsible government. Later, he was appointed Stipendiary Magistrate at Oderin, which office he held until last year, when ill health compelled him to resign. He leaves two sons, Captain John W. McGRATH, Superintendent of the Munson S.S. Line, New York and Mr. R. T. McGRATH, of Oderin, and four daughters, three of whom, Mrs. Joseph POWER, Mrs. P. F. POWER, and Mrs. L. J. BENNING, reside in this city, while the fourth, Mrs. Joseph M. POWER, has been for the past few years residing in Brooklyn, N.Y..

Tues. Mar. 10, 1908


Yesterday morning, Mar. 9th, Francis C. PAYNE, aged 57. Funeral on Wednesday at 3 o'clock, from his late residence, 13 Balsam Street. Friends and acquaintances please attend without further notice.

The funeral of the late Philip LEWIS too place at Holyrood, Sunday, and was one of the most largely attended ever seen in the settlement. The Star Society, of which he was a member, turned out in full force, and people from all over the district were present to pay their last respects. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. J. DONNELLEY.

Wed. Mar. 12, 1908


EARLE - On Monday, the 9th inst., at his residence, Bay Roberts, there passed to the Great Beyond, William C. EARLE, aged 62 years, leaving three children (two sons and one daughter) to mourn their sad loss. Deceased was in the employ of Messrs. C. & A. DAWE for over thirty years and was always active in his work till Jan. 1907, when he was stricken with paralysis and has been confined to his home ever since. FUNERAL NOTICE:

HUSTINS - The funeral of the late Jemimah HUSTINS has been postponed till Friday at 3 o'clock, from her late residence, 37 Charlton St. Friends and relations will please take notice.

Thurs. Mar. 13, 1908


At Buffalo, N.Y., March 4th, by the Rev E. Combie SMITH, D.D., William A. THORNBURN, youngest son of the late Sir Robert THORNBURN, K.C.M.G., St. John's, Newfoundland, and the late Lady THORNBURN, to Annie S., second daughter of Mr. George W. NEEDHAM, of Clyde, Ohio, U.S.A.

Sun. Mar. 16, 1908


On Saturday morning, after a long illness, Anne, daughter of the late Hon. Patrick KOUGH and sister of Patrick KOUGH, Esq. Funeral to-day at 3 o'clock p.m., from her late residence, Cochrane Street.

Yesterday, after a brief illness of two days, Cyril Francis, the eldest son of Mr. and Mrs. M. F. CARROLL, aged 6 years.

Saturday, March 14th, of meningitis, Ethel Mary, darling child of William and Noan EDNEY, aged 1 year and 8 months. (Boston papers please copy.)

To the List,
It appears that my previous posting today may have the wrong day on them. If it says the 12th, 13th, or whatever, don't take the day of the week as true. Example: the 12th may not have been a Wednesday.

Wed. Mar. 18, 1908


On Monday, 16th inst., after a short illness, Frederick W. GILL, aged 22 years. Funeral to-day (Wednesday) at 2:30 p.m. from his late residence, No. 7 Long's Hill. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further notice. No crepe.

On March 16th, Alfred Mark, darling child of Bertha and Alfred PIKE.

"We miss him from our home,
        We miss him from his chair,
Our home is dark without him,
        We miss him everywhere."


Mr. Fred. GILL,
a popular young man, died at his home, Long's Hill, Monday, after a protracted illness. Deceased was well liked in the city, and was very prominent in temperance work, being one of the oldest members in Onward Lodge I.O.G.T, who will attend his funeral to-day.

Chief Gunner BIDGOOD, formerly of H.M.S. Sappho, arrived by the Ulunda, last night, to relieve Mr. BLACKMORE, who has just finished his service. Mr. BIDGOOD has many years of service, and is well known in St. John's. He has some Newfoundland blood in his veins, his ancestors formerly belonging to Petty Harbor, where he has several near relations.

Sat. Mar. 21, 1908


This morning at 1 o'clock. R. G. JOHNSTON, tailor. Funeral notice late.

At Bedford, England, March 2nd, Maude, widow of the late E. I. PHILPOT, esq., and eldest daughter of the late Hon. Sir Frederic B. T. CARTER, K.C.M.G., Chief Justice of Newfoundland.


The remains of the young man SNOW, who was killed Monday last at Glace Bay, was brought home by Thursday's express, and forwarded to Carbonear for internment. Deceased was but 24 years old, and had only been working in the mines a short while.

Mon. Mar. 23, 1908


At 9 last night, Thomas J. FORAN, sailmaker. Funeral at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday, from his late residence, 37 Barter's Hill. Friends and acquaintances please attend without further notice. No crepe.

Yesterday evening at 7 p.m., after a short illness, Bridget KENNEDY, only daughter of Thomas and Ann KENNEDY, and beloved wife of Wm. O'NEIL, aged 25 years, leaving a husband, 4 children, father, mother, 3 brothers, and a large circle of friends to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 34 Flower Hill. No crepe. R.I.P.


The funeral of the late Robert G. JOHNSTON will take place this afternoon at 3 o'clock, from his late residence, Queen's Road. The Masonic body, of which deceased was a prominent and popular member, are summoned to attend.

Mon. Apr. 6, 1908


At Pushthrough, Hermitage Bay, on March 29th, Henry CAMP, aged 47.

On April 2nd, at Holyrood, after a long and painful illness, Michael HEARN, aged 78 years, leaving 3 sons and one daughter to mourn the loss of a kind and loving father. R.I.P.

On Saturday, April 4th, at 3 o'clock, after a brief illness, Frederick H. FLEET, aged 18 years. Funeral to-day, Monday, at 2:30 o'clock, from his late residence, 36 Signal Hill; friends and acquaintances please accept this intimation.

At Harbor Grace, on the 3rd inst., Head Constable FREEMAN, at the age of 58 years. He leaves a wife, three sins, mother, and three sisters besides one brother, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral this evening at 3 o'clock, from his brother's residence. 382 Water Street. friends and acquaintances will please accept this, the only intimation. R.I.P.

Passe peacefully away on Sunday, at 3:15 o'clock, after a long and painful illness, Mary, relict of the late John SEXTON, aged 56 years, leaving a son and daughter, brother and sister, to mourn the loss of a loving mother and affectionate sister. Funeral on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence, 43 Flower Hill; friends please accept this, the only intimation.

April 27, 1908



At 4 o'clock Saturday afternoon, at the residence of the bride's mother, Grove Hill, Waterford Bridge Road. Miss Jean Harvey McNEIL, daughter of the late John McNEIL, Esq., was untied in Matrimony to Mr. Charles BLACKBURN of Liverpool, England, and Vice-Consul for Brazil at this port. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. ROBERTSON, of St. Andrew's Presbyterian Church, in the presence of only the immediate friends of both parties, owing to a recent bereavement in the groom's family. The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr. T. McNEIL, was beautifully attired in a wedding dress of white chiffon, trimmed with silver and lace, and a veil of rich lace, and carried a bouquet of white carnations. She was attended by her sister, Miss Margaret McNEIL, who wore a gown of white silk, and her niece, Miss Catherine McNEIL, who was dressed in white silk muslin, both carried bouquets of pink carnations. Mr. T. B. GOODRIDGE attended the groom. After the ceremony, the happy couple were honored at a wedding repast. Later they drove to their future home, Devon Row. A three month's trip abroad had been contemplated, but had to be abandoned owing to the death of Mr. BLACKBURN's brother, who was to conduct business during his absence. The bride, who is one of the most popular young ladies in St. John's, received many valuable presents, both from home and abroad, and numerous congratulatory telegrams. The "News", along with hosts of friends, joins in wishing Mr. and Mrs. BLACKBURN, an unclouded matrimonial life.

Fri. July 10, 1908


There passed peacefully away, after a lingering illness, fortified with the rites of Holy Church, on the 5th inst., at Jersey Side, Placentia, John, beloved son of James and Bridget HICKEY. The deceased came home for the good of his health eleven months ago, from Terriville, Conn., U.S.A., where he worked for three years previous in the Eagle lock-shop. He was a general favorite, and was loved by all who knew him, and many will hear of his demise with sorrow. He was thirty years old, and leaves a wife, mother and father, three sisters and three brothers to mourn their sad loss.

Fri. July 17, 1908



At 4 p.m. yesterday, Miss Margaret MULCAHEY and Mr. V. P. BURKE were united in the bonds of Matrimony at the residence of the bride, Victoria Street. The ceremony was performed by Very Rev. Mons. ROACHE. The bride was assisted by Miss PEREZ, and the groom was supported by his brother, Mr. Jos. BURKE. The presents received by the bride and groom were numerous and costly. After the ceremony, a sumptuous wedding supper was partaken of, and the whole party then drove to Waterford Bridge, where the bride and groom took the train for Salmonier, where they will spend their honeymoon. On their return to town, Mr. and Mrs. BURKE will reside on Victoria Street. The "News" extends congratulations.

Wed. Aug. 4, 1908

ARTICLE: (word for word)


A very sad drowning accident, of which Mr. Jos. JOHNSON was the victim, occurred yesterday morning. In company with his uncle, T. SNELGROVE, JOHNSON and two other men left the Battery at 5 a.m. yesterday for the local fishing grounds, in their trap skiff. Owing to the stormy weather which prevailed at the time, they could not haul their trap, and ran up to Deadman's Bay for shelter. They only stayed there a short time, however, and seeing that the wind showed no signs of abatement, left for home again. Shortly after leaving, and when the skiff was about off Small Point, the foresail jibed, and striking JOHNSON, knocking him overboard. At the time of the accident, he was standing on the "gangboards" of the skiff, and was just in the act of putting on his oil pants. a spread and an oar were immediately thrown to JOHNSON, but although the spread passed within a few inches of him, he made no attempt to grasp it. The skiff traveled for about 30 yards before she could be brought around, and just as she turned, her crew saw JOHNSON sink. Deceased was a native of Lower Island Cove, but resided on Lime Street with his uncle, Mr. T. SNELGROVE, in whose employ he had been for the past four years, being with him last fall in the schooner Lady Effie, when she was lost. He was about 28 years old, and unmarried. The JOHNSON family has been visited by death frequently during the past few years, year another brother died. His father died suddenly in April last, and six weeks ago a sister died. The unfortunate man was a general favorite with all who knew him, being of very cheerful disposition. At the place where he was lost there is about 14 fathoms of water, and an attempt will be made to recover the body as soon as weather conditions will permit.

Thur. Aug. 6, 1908


On Tuesday afternoon, at the residence of the bride's mother, 45 Hamilton Street, Miss Charlotte (Lottie) PRATT, was married to Mr. Geo. C. HARRIS, of Grand Bank. Miss PRATT is the daughter of the late Rev. John PRATT, whose lamented death at Grand Bank, four years ago, left a vacancy in the ministerial ranks, that has not yet been supplied, for he was a man of unique character, and of rugged eloquence that is rare in these modern days. The groom is well known in the city, where he for some time occupied a place in the bank of Nova Scotia. Of late years, Mr. HARRIS has been engaged in the large and numerous business enterprises of his father, Samuel HARRIS, Esq., of Grand Bank, Lamaline, and Garnish.

The ceremony was performed by the Rev. Charles HACKETT, of George Street Church. The bride, who was given away by her uncle, Mr. E. J. KNIGHT, was charmingly attired in white silk, and looked radiant in her youth and gracefulness. Miss Florrie MacDONALD, daughter of the popular Grand Bank physician, and Miss Florence PRATT, were the bridesmaids, whilst the groom found his supporter in his brother, Mr. Chester HARRIS. A large and costly array of presents testified to the popularity of the young couple. Mr. HARRIS' gift to the bride was a gold watch and a silver dressing case; and to the bridesmaids, gold chains and pendants.

At the close of the ceremony, a reception was held at Mrs. PRATT's residence, after which the happy pair drove to the Waterford Bridge Station, where they joined the train for Placentia, by way of Avondale. After a few days, they leave for Grand Bank, where they will take up permanent residence at the commodious and handsomely appointed house, recently erected by the happy groom. That the sunshine of prosperity, the blessings of health and unbroken happiness may follow them along the years, is the earnest hope and confident belief of their friends, and in this case, the words of friends and acquaintances are synonyms.

Tues. Aug. 11, 1908


Last night, at 11 o'clock, Willie Richard, darling child of A. L. and Mrs. TREMLET, aged 14 months.

Yesterday, after a tedious illness, Martin HAYDEN, aged 73 years, leaving a wife and a large circle of friends. Funeral on to-morrow, Wednesday, at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 114 Bond St.

At Chapels Cove, August 4th, after a long and tedious illness, Maggie, beloved daughter of Peter and Mary HICKEY, aged 26 years, leaving a father and mother, one sister and two brothers to mourn their sad loss. R.I.P.

Yesterday morning, after a short illness, George IVAMY, aged 80 years, leaving a wife, one son and three daughters, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral to-day, Tuesday, at Carter's Hill; friends and acquaintances will please accept this, the only intimation.

Wed. Aug 12, 1908


On August 4th at St. Paul's church, St. Pierre, Antoine Louis Marcel JACQUBET, Commissaire de la Marine of the French cruiser D'Estrees, was married to Emma, eldest daughter of F. H. WHITE, Superintendent of the Anglo American Telegraph Company at St. Pierre, the Rev. Henry K. GILBERT of Lamaline assisted by Rev. Mr. MOSDELL of Burin and Rev. Mr. BRODIE of Heart's Content, officiating. The civil marriage according to the French law took place at the Mairie, Then the wedding party proceeded to the Anglican church. The bride was beautifully attired in a gown of white crepe de chine, trimmed with embroidered tuile and rich lace. The bridesmaids, Misses Ella and Isabel WHITE, sisters of the bride, were in attendance. The first wore a very handsome princess dress of pale blue Eolienne; the second a white gown of voile de laine; both carried large bouquets of white flowers. The bridegroom in full regimentals was supported by Messieurs SAILLANT and COMBESCOT, enseignes de vaisseaux of the same ship. Amongst the guests were Commandant JOURDAN of the D'Estrees with a great number of officers, the Administrator the General Inspector, m. REVEL, who is now visiting this Colony, the British Consul, Mr. Kesteil CORNISH, the American Consul Mr. BOYD and many English and French friends of the bride. After the ceremony, the guests returned to the bride's home and drank the health of the newly married couple. Dinner was held at the hotel, Du Midi. At 7:30 p.m., the room was draped with English and French flags. A short dance ended the evening. The bride and groom were the recipients of many beautiful presents.

Fri. Aug. 14, 1908


On the 13th inst., after a short illness, of meningitis, Herbert Charles, darling child of John and Annie PIPPY, aged 2 years, and 5 months.


Just before 10 o'clock last night, the death of Mrs. Eliza L. CHANCEY took place. Mrs. CHANCEY was relict of Robert CHANCEY, who died about three years ago at Winthrop, Mass. She arrived here on July 27th, on a visit, for the benefit of her health. On the way, she was taken with a slight attack of paralysis, and one or two others have since occurred, the last being on Saturday. The deceased lady was sister-in-law of Lionel T. CHANCEY, Esq., of Monkstown Road, and a sister of Mrs. H. BARNES, Mrs. W. ENGLISH and Mrs. LAY. She leaves no children, but is survived by an adopted daughter, who is now at New York. The body will be sent to her former home in Winthrop, where she will be interred by the side of her husband.

Tues. Aug. 18, 1908


There passed away at Bear's Cove on Tuesday night last, "to that borne from whence no traveller returns," deeply and much regretted, after a long and painful illness, Mr. Albert BRADBURY, aged 69 Years. During his early life Mr. BRADBURY engaged in the foreign-going trade of the Colony, and later followed the fisheries with considerable success. Mr. BRADBURY was a man beloved by all he came in contact with in his daily walks of life. As a friend and neighbor he was much admired for his manly qualities. During his long term of affliction he was seldom heard to murmur, he being reconciled to the will of his Creator. Mr. Bradbury leaves behind him a wife, two sons, Messrs. William Bradbury, now in British Columbia, and Edgar, in Boston, Mass., and three daughters, Misses Dora Bradbury, school teacher; Annie, now residing in St. John's, and Mrs. EDWARDS of Carbonear, to all of whom sincere sympathy is extended. The funeral took place on Thursday afternoon, being attended by a large number of citizens, interment being in the Methodist cemetery.

"Thy way, not mind, O Lord,
However dark it be.
Lead me by thine own hand,
Choose out the path for me.
Smooth let it be or rough,
It still will be the best.
Winding or straight, it leads
Right onward to thy rest."
Harbour Grace, Aug. 15.


S.S. London City left Liverpool Saturday for here.

S.S. Evangeline leaves Halifax tomorrow for this port.

R.M.S. Mongolian is due Thursday from Philadelphia.

The tern schooner Advance sailed Sunday afternoon for Sydney.

Crosbie & Co.'s schooner Ich Dien is now 29 days out from Pernambuco, to this port.

S.S. Rosalind arrived at Halifax Sunday morning on her way to New York from this port.

Schooner Nina L owned by Crosbie & Co., has arrived at Oporto, after a passage of 28 Days.

Schr. S. M. Ayer sailed for Battle harbor yesterday forenoon, taking a load of supplies from Baine - Johnston & Co.

S.S. Venetia arrived at Halifax from New York at 10 a.m., Sunday. She leaves there again this morning and is due here Thursday.

S.S. Mary arrived at 12:30 p.m. yesterday from Bell Island. She sails again for the Island Wednesday morning, taking a large freight.

Several Lunenburg tankers are now at Job Bros. & Co.'s premises.

Wed. Aug. 19,1908



A very pretty ceremony took place at St. Thomas's Church, last evening, when Mr. John DAWE and Miss Alice MORGAN, both of Port-de-Grave, were united in the bonds of matrimony, the ceremony being performed by Rev. G. R. GODDEN. The bride looked charming, being dressed in a costume of cream lustre, and carrying a bouquet of orange blossoms. The bride and groom were assisted by Miss Ella and Mr. Ronald DAWE, respectively, cousins of the groom. The bridesmaid was attired in a dress of pale blue nun's veiling. After the ceremony the party drove to the residence of the groom's uncle, Merrymeeting Road, where a sumptuous wedding supper was partaken of. They then returned to the Cabot House and leave again by this afternoon's train for their future home at Port-de-Grave. The happy couple were the recipients of numerous and costly presents. The News extends congratulations, and wishes Mr. and Mrs. DAWE many happy years of wedded bliss.

Mon. Aug. 31, 1908


The funeral of the late Herbert EVANS took place yesterday afternoon, and was largely attended. The deceased was a member of the C.L.B., and the remains were accompanied to the grave by a squad of the warrant and non-com. officers of that corp. Rev. W.T.D. DUNN conducted the burial services. Interment was at the General Protestant Cemetery.

All that was mortal of the late John BRAGG was consigned to mother earth at the General Protestant Cemetery, yesterday afternoon. The funeral was attended by the S.U.F., of which the deceased was an old and respected member, and, by a large number of citizens. Rev. W.T.D. DUNN officiated at the graveside.

The funeral of the late William S. PIKE took place at 2:30 p.m. yesterday. The hearse was preceded by a bodyguard from the S.O.E. and a guard from the N.B.S. walked on either side of it. The members of the Trades and Labour Council also attended, the deceased being a member of all three societies. The funeral services were conducted by Rev. Cannon DUNFIELD. Interment was at the C. of E. Cemetery.

Yesterday afternoon the body of the late Robert EASTON was laid to rest in the General Protestant Cemetery. The remains were followed to the graveside by the members of Royal Oak and Leeming Lodges, of the L.O.A., the deceased being a member of Burnet Lodge, Greenspond. The usual burial services, common to the L.O.A., were conducted at the graveside.


What might have been a serious accident was barely averted the other day in a near-by settlement, when two or three city lady pleasure seekers figured more or less conspicuously. Imbued with a strong desire for rusticity, they procured a box cart and the steed which goes with it most of the time, and started berry picking. They had proceeded some little distance when the horse resented the undue persuasion of its fair driver, and undertook to make things a bit lively. A sudden impulse induced departure from the regular road bed into one of those branch lines that figure at election times, where stumps and stones are more common than comfortable to those who sit in the vehicle. Vainly did the driver endeavour to rein in her steed, as it manifested an insane desire to win first place in that Marathon race, and appeared to think several other competitors were just behind. The team passed two male wayfarers so quickly that the wind from it knocked them over, and drew from one of them, when he recovered, the remark, "that must be John, the son of Nimshi, for he drives furiously." On flew the horse until a hill was reached, on top of which was a sharp descent, and the cart suddenly overturned. The "freight" went out "all in a heap", but as luck would have it, the cart turned over them so that, save for a few small scratches and a bad scare, no great damage resulted. The young ladies reached their lodging early in the evening, but the horse - and the cart - and the berries -

It was not one of the maidens fair who reported the foregoing.

Sat. Aug 22, 1908


At noon yesterday, Mrs. Annie COPERTHWAITE, wife of the Rev. Humphrey P. COPERTHWAITE, passed away. She had been unwell for some months, and a fatal termination to her illness had been expected, but there is always a suddenness about death; so that when her spirit took its everlasting flight in summer's glory, by the sunlit sea, her friends, as the "News" was told them, could scarcely realise this elect lady, whose works of love and devotion, in this city, in Carbonear, and in Harbor Grace, are matters of cherished record, would no longer move in our midst, a benison and an inspiration to all to whom "Thy Kingdom Come", has a real meaning.

Annie Buchanan COPERTHWAITE was born in Glasgow, Scotland. She was daughter of the late W. M. BUCHANAN, Esq., for sometime Lecturer on Geology and Chemistry in Glasgow University. At the age of 17 years, she went to Canada, where she attended the Ladies College, Mount Allison, New Brunswick, from which she graduated with honours in 1887. In July of that year, she was married to the Rev. H. P. COPERTHWAITE, their first circuit being Horton, N.S., and subsequently Fairyville and Queen Square, St. John, N.S., Tryon, Cornwell and Charlottetown, P.E.I. In 1890, she came with her husband to St. John's, where, with the exception of four years at Carbonear, and one at Harbor Grace, she has since resided. Mrs. COPERTHWAITE's Church activities were numerous, and exerted a great influence for good. The Bible Class, Sunday School, Woman's Missionary Society, Dorcas Society, and every form of social Church life, always found in her not only a zealous worker, but an exceptionally able leader. Hers was a mind filled with that knowledge which is profitable; knowledge which she knew how to use to the advantage of her family, her friends and the large Church circles, amid which she mingled. She was an extensive reader, with an unerring literary taste, and a high standard of excellence. And yet to the humblest, she could be equally the kind, congenial friend, as with those who shared with her the delights of literature.

Her mind was exceptionally versatile, and not only would she discuss with those she met, the subjects which she intuitively discovered were most interesting to them, but enter into the conversation with a zest from which there was a complete absence of make-believe.

Mrs. COPERTHWAITE leaves two sons, Dr. Walter, of Sydney, who only a few days ago returned home, and Dr, Hunter, of this city; also a daughter, Florence, widow of the late W. S. MARCH. To these, with the devoted partner of 41 years, her beloved husband, we voice the sympathy that is general. It is said with truth of many an elect lady, "Her children arise up, and call her blessed"; her husband also, and "he praiseth her", but in no instance could the words be more appropriate than in this, for love and devotion to her family were enfibred in her very being.

Tues. Sept. 8, 1908


Mr. J. KAVANAGH met with a very painful accident Saturday afternoon. He was returning from the Prince's Rink, where he had delivered a supply of aerated waters, when one of the wheels of the express which he was driving, struck a rut and he was thrown out. His left thumb was broken and his head was also cut. He was taken to a doctor by a young man who was passing at the time and had the wound dressed. Mr. Kavanagh was able to be about yesterday, and is expected to be alright again in a short time.


Passed peacefully away this morning, after a long illness of the dread disease, consumption, William S. BALL, the only son of Albert BALL, aged 27 years, leaving a wife 1 child, father and two sisters to mourn their sad loss.

On the 7th inst., after a short illness, Bridget WALSH, leaving a brother and sister. Funeral on Wednesday, at 2:30 p.m., from her late residence 50 King's Road. Friends and Acquaintances will please accept this, the only intimation.

Thurs. Sept. 10, 1908


Bay de Verde was in fete on Wednesday, the 2nd instant, in the honor of the wedding of Miss Nellie O'NEIL, only daughter of John O'NEIL, Esq., the respected merchant of this town, and Captain N. J. KENNEDY, of St. John's, one of our most successful master mariners. Guns were fired and flags floated gaily to the breeze. Strings of bunting stretched over the houses of different vantage points, and Old Sol shed his genial rays as if to cast a ray of happiness over the happy couple. The ceremony was performed at the Church of the Assumption by Rev. Father DONNELLY, in the presence of a very large number of people. The bride looked charming in a dress of white silk, with veil and wreath of orange blossoms, and entered the church leaning on the arm of her father. She was attended by Misses Maud O'NEIL and Charlotte MOORE, and little Miss Mary O'NEIL, as flower girl. The groom was supported by Messrs. J. O'NEIL and T. KENNEDY. Dr. McDONALD presided at the organ, and played the wedding march. After the ceremony, the bride and groom, accompanied by a very large number of guests, proceeded to the residence of John O'NEIL, Esq., where an enjoyable night was spent. Rev. Father DONNELLY, in a felicitous speech, paid high tribute to the bride, who is one of the most popular young ladies in musical and social circles. The Rev. gentleman also spoke in kind terms of the groom who, although young in years, had, by energy, attained a prominent position. Graceful speeches were also given by Messrs. D. O'NEIL, Jas. O'NEIL and T. KENNEDY. The groom replied in suitable and happy terms. The groom's present to the bride was a splendid gold bracelet, and to the bridesmaids, gold lockets with long gold chains attached. The bride and groom drove to Old Perlican Thursday morning and spent their honeymoon there, returning here Friday evening. A grand ball was held in St. Joseph's Hall on Thursday night, in honor of the event, and on Friday night, a reception was held at Mr. O'NEIL's residence, at which nearly one hundred guests took part. Dancing, singing and music were enjoyed until 4 a.m. The happy couple left by Saturday's Ethie en route for St. John's. The S.S. Ethie was decorated with bunting, and McCarthy's Hotel at Carbonear, and other residences were also covered with flags. The presents to the bride were numerous and costly, testifying to the esteem in which she is held by her many friends, who unite in wishing Mr. and Mrs. KENNEDY every happiness in their future life. Bay de Verde, Sept. 7th.

Sun. Sept. 13, 1908


Last night a large piece of machinery, weighing about 8 tons, was taken from Shea & Co.'s premises by the Horwood Lumber Co.'s horses to Water Street, in the rear of the Custom House. This is part of the new turbine, which is being installed at Petty Harbour, and will be taken there this morning.


On Sept. 11th, a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. W.G. Smith.


On September 10th, Dorothy V., twin daughter of Joseph and Laura Noftall, aged 3 months. Safe in the arms of Jesus.

DOYLE - Last evening, at 7:30 o'clock, Mary J. Hickey, beloved wife of F. J. Doyle, aged 54 years. Funeral notice in evening papers.

Tues. Sept. 15, 1908



A very pretty wedding took place on September 5th, at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Leon TURPINAT, King Street, Stellarton, Nova Scotia, when their son, James, was united in marriage to Miss Ethel EBSARY, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Edwin EBSARY, of this city. The bride was handsomely attired in a gown of cream cashmere, trimmed with Irish point lace, and carried a bouquet of white chrysanthemums, maiden hair fern, and was attended by Miss Greta TURPINAT, sister of the groom. The groom was attended by Mr. George SAMPIE. The groom's present to the bride was a handsome locket and chain. As the bride entered the room, the wedding march was beautifully rendered by Miss Vera McFARLANE, of Moncton.

Yesterday at the age of 72 there passed away Mrs. Mary DOVE, widow of the late Rev. James DOVE, D.D., and eldest daughter of the late Capt. Edward WHITE. She had been ill for several months, indeed ever since the death of her husband in January last. Three daughters, Mrs. ADAMS of Norwood, Ont., Miss Annie of the Methodist College, and Miss Lilian, and two sons, Arthur J. of Halifax and Wilfred of Steer Bros., survive. This is the third death in the family within two years, the eldest son, Rev. E. A. W. DOVE, having passed away 22 months ago. Mrs. DOVE was held in high esteem not only in the city, but throughout the Island, in the various circuits where she had proven herself the helpmate of her honoured husband, and the friend and counsellor of the people among whom she dwelt and whose interests and aspirations she made her own.

Home arrived at Bay of Islands at 7:30 p.m. yesterday.

Argyle left Placentia at 5:40 p.m. yesterday, on the Merasheen route.

Glencoe arrived at Port aux Basques last night.

Wed. Sept. 16, 1908


On the 15th ins., after a long and painful illness, John (Jack) SNOW, aged 12 years, beloved son of Isaac and Eliza SNOW. Funeral on Thursday at 2:30 p.m. from his late residence, 27 Barnes Road. Friends and relatives please attend without further notice.

Last evening, after a short illness, Mary Ann, widow of the late Aaron CHAFE, and a native of Petty Harbour, aged 77 years. Funeral on Thursday at 2:30 p.m., from the residence of John BEER, 50 Cookstown Road. Friends will please attend without further notice.

Sat., Sept. 26, 1908



A pretty wedding which attracted a large number of spectators was solemnized by Rev. S. SNOWDEN, in the Brigus Methodist church on Wednesday afternoon. The contracting parties were Mr. Albert Edward MERCER, and Miss Mary Jemima MERCER, both of Bay Roberts. The bridesmaids were Miss Annie MERCER, sister of the bridegroom and Miss Minnie N. MERCER, sister of the bride, while Mr. Robert S. MERCER, brother of the bridegroom and Mr. Snowden MERCER, brother of the bride, acted as groomsmen. On the entrance of the bride the choir gave a beautiful rendering of "The voice that breathed o'er Eden," Miss Emma BARTLETT kindly presiding at the organ. The bride looked charming attired in white crepe de chene, with lace kimono effect. Her hat was of white satin and ostrich feathers, and she carried a very pretty bouquet of pink and white. The bridesmaids looked very dainty in dresses of white and cream organdie, with hats to match. After the signing of the Register the bridal party left the church amid the strains of Mendelssohn's wedding march, and the peals of the church bell. Mrs. RABBITS at the Cabot Hotel prepared an excellent lunch, after which amid showers of rice and good wishes, the merry party left by train for Balsam Place, St. John's, where the honeymoon will be spent. The bride wore a lovely travelling costume of Alice blue melton, her hat of the same shade was trimmed with embroidery of the Greek key pattern. Bon voyage through life. Brigus, Sept. 24th.

Thur. Oct. 1, 1908



Yesterday evening at four o'clock, at the residence of the bride's sister, Mrs. Haviland EDGAR, Water Street, Nathaniel PIKE, Esq., Inspector of H.M. Customs, was united in marriage to Miss Mary D. Coultas, youngest daughter of the late Dr. COULTAS, of Carbonear. The nuptial knot was tied by the Rev. Charles HACKETT, of George St. Church. The bride was attended by Misses N. COLTON and M. EDGAR, the duty of father giver devolving on his brother in law, Mr. Arthur MARTIN. The bridegroom was assisted by Mr. P.G. TESSIER, who made a very happy speech on the occasion. Rev. Mr HACKETT, in proposing the health of the bride and bridegroom, referred to the loss the George St. Sunday School would sustain by the taking away of a valued teacher, while another circuit would gain a useful church worker. After refreshments had been partaken of, the wedding party drove to the station, the happy couple leaving for Carbonear for a few days. The number of presents received testify how many friends they have, and all, which the "News" joins, wish them many years of unalloyed happiness.

Sat. Oct. 3, 1908



Yesterday, the sad news of the death of Laurence O'Brien FURLONG, Esq., was received by the citizens of St. John's with deep regret. He had only returned the previous evening from Montreal, where he underwent an operation for acute bronchitis, from which disease he had been suffering for some time past. He was only 52 years of age, having been born on Jan. 12th, 1856. The deceased was a son of the late Hon. James FURLONG, merchant, of Oderin, who was one of the first members of the Legislature in Newfoundland. He received his early education at St. Mary's College, Montreal, and after completing his studies, returned to St. John's and entered in partnership with his brother, the late Jas. P. FURLONG, where he remained until 1892, when he went into the brokerage and ----sion business. In 1889 he was a successful candidate for the Tory party in St. John's East. In 1893, however, he was elected, and in 1894 was made Minister of Public Works under the Goodridge Administration, but later resigned to become Speaker of the Assembly. In 1897 he was elected as the representative of St. John's East, and was again appointed as Speaker, in 1900, on the formation of the Bond Ministry. A few years afterwards, he was appointed Governor of the Savings Bank, which position he held up to the time of his demise. The deceased was a very able speaker, a clever politician and a capable businessman, and was very popular with all who met him in either capacity. He possessed a large circle of friends, who will hear of his demise with sincere regret. He leaves a widow, a daughter of the late Inspector of Police, Paul CARLY, Esq., and also four daughters, two of whom are at present at school in Europe. To his sorrowing relatives, the "News" extends sincere sympathy.

Wed. Oct. 21, 1908


Word was received in town yesterday, saying that the schooner Nonpariel had gone ashore on Road Island Monday evening, while beating in to Port aux Basques. She was bound to sandy point, Bay St. George, with a full load of general supplies from Halifax. It is thought however, that she is not seriously damaged, and will be re-floated again at high tide.


On the 19th October, 1908, at "Birchy Cove", Finchley Road, Hampstead, London N.W., the wife of Ernest Robert WATSON, of a son.


Last evening, after a long and painful illness, James O'NEIL, (cabman) in his 78th year, leaving a wife to mourn her sad loss. Funeral on Thursday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 22 Spencer Street. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further notice.

Mon. Oct. 26, 1908


A very pretty ceremony took place Saturday afternoon, when Miss Edna Josephine GREAVES and Mr. G. C. GOODWIN were united in the bonds of Matrimony. The ceremony was performed by Rev. W. T. D. DUNN, at Kenilworth, LeMarchant Road, the residence of the bride's father. The bride looked very pretty, attired in pointed spray, over white silk, and wearing a bridal veil and orange blossoms. Miss CHRISTIAN, of Trinity, assisted the bride, and Mr. Art. GREAVES supported the groom. Miss Alice WOODS, niece of the bride, and Miss Dorothy DUFF, her cousin, acted as flower girls. The ceremony was performed in the drawing room, over the door of which the Union Jack and Stars and Stripes were entwined, in honor of the groom, who is an American. The young couple were the recipients of numerous and valuable presents, including a splendid piano, the gift of the bride's father. About 50 guests were present and spent a very pleasant evening, the celebration being kept up till midnight. Mr. And Mrs. GOODWIN left by the evening train for Holyrood, where the honeymoon will be spent. On returning to town, they will reside at 25 Monkstown Road. The "News" extends feliciations.

Mon. Nov. 2, 1908


At the Poor Asylum, on Saturday, Patrick QUIRK, of Hoylestown, aged 68. Funeral today, at 2:30 p.m., from the Poor Asylum.

On Sunday afternoon, after a long and painful illness, fortified with rites of Holy Church, William A. CULLETON. Funeral on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 119 Long's Hill. Friends will accept this, the only intimation. May his soul rest in peace.

Fri. Nov. 13, 1908


On Sunday, November 1st, a trap skiff, with six men, was capsized, and immediately sank, while beating into Fredericton, and all of the occupants were drowned. The boat came from Apsey Cove, near Ladle- Cove, and the names of the men who lost their lives are: Ernest CHALK and son, Garland, Ammon CHALK, Samuel ALKINS two sons, Jerry and Alpheus, and Joseph COLES. It was blowing a gale from the west at the time of the accident, and the skiff was under short sail. Saturday last the boat was found on the bottom by searchers, and also the bodies of Joseph COLES and the two ALKINS, but there was no sign of the bodies of the three CHALKS. The happening has cast a gloom over the settlement to which the men belonged, and also the nearby places, and not in many years has there been such a fatality. Men are still searching for the missing bodies, but it is expected they have been taken away by the tide and sea.

Mon. Nov. 16, 1908


On November 11th, at the residence of the bride's parents, Grand falls, by the Rev. James WHITTLE, Katie Earle POOKE to John HUNTRISS, Esq., of Milton Manor, Milton, Banbury, England.


On November 15th, after a short illness of pneumonia, Edward WHITTY, leaving a wife, 5 sons and 1 daughter to mourn the loss of a kind husband and loving father. Funeral on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 27 John St. No crepe. R.I.P.

Sunday morning, James, youngest and beloved son of the late Richard and Mary DILLON, aged 30 years, leaving a wife, 2 children, a mother, 1 brother and 3 sisters to mourn their loss. Funeral on Tuesday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 13 Murray's St.. Friends and acquaintances will attend without further notice.

Thur. Nov. 19, 1908


On the 18th inst., a son to Mr. and Mrs. W. P. TAAFFE.


On Oct. 17th, 1908, at Shanghai, China, by the Rev. F. ARNAUD, S.J., J. J. DAWE, Esq., of Shanghai, to Mary Langrishe, daughter of the late Hon. James P. FOX, and of lady MORRIS, Newfoundland, grand-daughter of the late W. W. LeGALLAIS and great grand-daughter of the late Lieut. R. LANGRISHE, R.N.


At 3:30 o'clock last evening, Sarah Field, beloved wife of Michael HICKEY. Funeral from her late residence, F. J. DOYLE's, 272 Theatre Hill, on to-morrow, Friday at 2:30 p.m. No crepe

Date Missing, but between Sat. Nov. 19, 1908 and Sun. Dec. 6, 1908


Miss Mary J. HANLON, a resident of Merry Meeting Road, died at the fever hospital yesterday forenoon. The deceased was conveyed to that institution only a short time ago, suffering from typhoid fever. A brother and sister, who had been suffering from the same disease, were dismissed from the hospital a short time ago, having fully recovered from their illness. The funeral of the deceased will take place this forenoon, from the hospital, at eleven o'clock.

Yesterday forenoon, Miss Annie ROLLS passed to the Great Beyond, at the Signal Hill Hospital. The deceased, who was a victim of the dreaded White Plague, had been confined to that institution for only a short time. The funeral takes place this afternoon, from the late residence of the deceased, Fleming St., and internment will be at the C. of E. cemetery.

Sun. Dec. 6, 1908


We chronicle with regret, the demise of Mrs. Thomas HARRIS, Sr., of Bonavista, which sad event took place on Saturday morning, and news of which was received in town on the afternoon of the same day. The deceased lady had been ailing for the past three months, but death was unexpected, and comes as a severe shock to her numerous friends. Death, according to Dr. FORBES, the physician who attended Mrs. HARRIS, was mainly caused by senile decay, the old lady having reached her 87th years. The deceased was noted for her numerous acts of charity in her native town of Bonavista, and she will be greatly missed by a large number of residents there, by whom she was held in the highest esteem and respect. One daughter, Mrs. (Rev.) G. C. FRASER, who at present resides in this city, is left to mourn, to whom the "News" extends sympathy.

Thur. Dec. 17, 1908


Patrick PENNEY, of Holyrood, who was injured at Grand Falls about a month ago, by driving a nail into his finger and later getting dynamite into the sore, died at the hospital Tuesday night, from blood poisoning. In the early stages, deceased suffered much pain, but the last few days of his illness he rested quietly. A wife and a large family of young children survive, to whom much sympathy is expressed. The body was sent to Holyrood yesterday, for internment.

The people of St. Joseph's Parish, Hoylestown, wish to express their sincere thanks to the many kind friends of all creeds and classed who helped make their recent Fair a success. It would be impossible to particularise the various individuals to whom they are indebted for many contributions, work, personal assistance, etc., etc. They hope that this general note of thanks will convey sufficiently to all, the gratitude they feel for their kind co-operation.

Thurs. Dec. 24, 1908


About 9:30 last night, one of Ayre & Sons express horses took fright near Sheehan's Chute, and dashed down Casey Street, New Gower St., Queen and Water Streets. Near the Singer Sewing Machine office, Smyth Building, James REID, one of Lester's truckmen, attempted to stop the animal, which was then turning down Bowring Bros. Cove, and in doing so, the shaft of the slide struck him in the side, knocking him to the ground. Constable FURLONG also attempted to stop the frightened animal, and succeeded. When he grabbed the reins, he hit the horse on the head with his fist, stunning him, and immediately brought him to a halt. In the interim, REID was picked up unconscious, and taken to the Singer Sewing Machine office. Dr. CAMPBELL was summoned, and responded quickly. He found the young man suffering from serious injuries, and after administering stimulants, ordered him to the hospital, where he was conveyed later in the ambulance. It will be some time before REID will be able to get around again.

Yesterday forenoon Inspector General SULLIVAN had a message from Burin informing him of the sudden death of Thomas HYNES, of Bay L'Argent, which occurred on the Virginia Lake, at Burin, on Tuesday night. Deceased was about 70 years old, and has a wife, and several sons and daughters, who are married. He was a most industrious man, well known, and was returning to his home after being in the city on business.

Early yesterday morning, the residence of Mr. Charles SQUIRES, section foreman of the Reid N. F. Railway, at Grand falls, was completely destroyed by fire, and James, the 18-year-old son of Mr. SQUIRES, perished in the flames. The brother of the owner of the place, accompanied by his wife, left the house about midnight to go to a neighbor's and left quite a fire in the kitchen stove. Shortly after midnight, Mr. and Mrs. SQUIRES, who slept in the upper flat of the building, were awakened by the crackling of burning wood, and arising, found the place filled with smoke. They immediately roused their son, and joining hands, made their way down the stairs through the blinding smoke, clad only in their night apparel. At the foot of the stairway, James suddenly let go of his mother hand, and instead of reaching the door, it is supposed he took the wrong direction, and in groping around he became confused, and, unable to make his escape, perished in the flames. The parents, however, succeeded in reaching the open, and fearing for the safety of their son, made several attempts to enter the burning building, but were driven back each time by the flames. A strong southerly breeze was blowing at the time, and although the neighbors collected and did everything possible to save the building, their efforts were unavailing. The remains of the unfortunate young man was found among the ruins after the fire had burned itself out. The parents, who were distracted with grief, over the untimely death of their only child, were comforted by the clergyman who was summoned from Grand Falls. The fire is supposed to have been caused by sparks from the kitchen stove.


We chronicle this morning the death of Mr. Michael COLE, which occurred on Tuesday past at Cambridge, Mass. Deceased was a former respected resident of this city, and the news of his demise will be received with deep regret by many of the older generation. He emigrated to America about twenty years ago, and previous to that time had been employed with the firm of P. and L. TESSIER. One daughter, Mrs. J. CURTIN, and one sister, Mrs. Ed. MAHER, of this city, are left to mourn. To the sorrowing friends and relatives we extend sympathy.

Special thanks to Marina Carew Aita for her help with this project.

"Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing"
Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly prohibited and subject to legal action.


Page Contributed by Chris Shelley (August 13, 2000)
Page Revised by Don Tate (15 Aug 2000)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]