Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

1907 Newspaper Look-ups
The St. John's Daily News


Wed. Sept. 4 1907


There passed peacefully away at her late residence, Sea View, Ferryland, on Tuesday afternoon, 27th ult., Mrs. Mary Louise CARTER, beloved wife of W. T. S. CARTER, Esq., in the 60th year of her age. Mrs. CARTER was a daughter of the late Edmund HANRAHAN, Esq., formerly of Carbonear, and representative for the District of Harbor Grace, also for many years Sheriff and Magistrate at Ferryland. Mrs. CARTER came to Ferryland with her father when quite young, and it was here she met her husband, who at the time was Collector of Customs, which position he continued to hold up to within the last few months, when advancing years compelled him to resign his position. Of a most refined and lovable disposition, Mrs. CARTER shed awry of gentleness and kindness upon the community in which she lived so long. Her home has been renowned far and near for that splendid hospitality which a character such as Mrs. CARTER possessed alone can exercise. She attracted to her hosts of friends, who learned to value her goodness of heart and beauty of disposition. To all who had the privilege of her acquaintance, and they are many, the news of her death will come with deep regret. Mrs. CARTER was the mother of a large family, six sons and six daughters, of whom eight survive her. Two sons, William, of Montreal, James H. A., Customs Collector at Ferryland, and six daughters - Harriet, wife of F. C. ALDERDICE, Esq., Ada, Mrs. W. M. CLAPP, Maud, married to Rev. J. J. WHITE, of New Harbor, and Misses May, Katherine, and Blanche. All that was mortal of Mrs. CARTER was laid to rest in the General Cemetery at Ferryland on Friday afternoon last. The large number of people of every class that followed her to the grave, is an evidence of the esteem in which she was held; and to say that Ferryland mourns as for the loss of a true friend and charitable lady is to indicate the depth of attachment to the place and people, and their sympathy with the bereaved husband and children is correspondingly deep and real. - Com.

Thursday, Sept. 5, 1907

Another old citizen passed peacefully away at noon on Wednesday, in the person of Mr. Richard MADIGAN, a well known Tailor of this town. Mr. Madigan, although not feeling well for some time past, was not considered dangerously ill, and the announcement of his death that day, came unexpected to a great many. Many regrets for the demise of this old gentleman have been expressed, for he was known far and wide, and greatly liked by all who knew him, and kindly remembrances of him were called forth. He is about the last of the Irishmen who came to live in this town many years ago. Born in Mooncoyn, County Kelkenny, Ireland, about 75 years ago, he came to this Country on the transport steamship Antelope, making the run across the Atlantic in the remarkable quick time of days in 1858. He worked at his trade in St. John's for two years and then came to reside in Harbor Grace, remaining here ever since. He married Miss Margaret Brett, daughter of Mr. Richard Brett, an old time prosperous Planter of this town, who predeceased her husband some 12 to 15 years ago. He leaves three sons, Messrs, James, William and Patrick, and two daughters, Mrs. Thomas O'Brien and Miss Minnie Madigan, now of Boston, to mourn the loss of a kind and affectionate father. Mr. Madigan was a man of splendid physique and agility. As a Tailor he had few equals, and the business which he built up is now being conducted by his sons. During his illness, Mr. Madigan was attended by His Lordship Bishop March and Rev. Fr. Finn. The funeral takes place from his late residence, Water Street, on Friday morning.
CORRESPONDENT. Harbor Grace, Sept 5th 1907. (From the Daily News) Events of 1907)
(Contributed by Mary Ann Madigan - My great, great grandfather, Richard Madigan was a tailor in Harbour Grace, Newfoundland)

Thur. Oct. 3, 1907


STABB - On Wednesday, October 2nd, Frederic A. STABB, M. R. C. S., L. R. C. P., (Lond.) aged 41 years, Funeral on Friday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, Duckworth St.

NASH - Last evening, John NASH, a native of the parish Mullinahone, County Tipperary, Ireland, aged 77 years. 61 of which he spent in this country, leaving a widow, 4 sons, 2 daughters and 1 brother to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Friday, at 1:30 p.m., from his late residence, Nashville farm; Topsail Road; friends and acquaintances please accept this the only intimation.

NOAH - Yesterday morning, after a short illness, Basil NOAH, a native of Lebanon. Funeral to-morrow from the residence of his brother, Mr. Kalleem NOAH, Water St. West. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further intimation.

BOWDREN - At Bell Island, Sept. 26th, after a long illness, borne with Christian resignation to the Devine Will, Margaret Ann, beloved wife of Medelph BOWDREN, and daughter of Catherine and Constable Thomas GREENE, aged 24 years. A husband, father and mother, four brothers and sisters are left to mourn their loss. - R. I. P.


Constable HICKEY, who resigned from the Police Force, Monday, has accepted a position in the sub station.

Margaret Ann, wife of Mr. Medelph BOWDREN and daughter of Constable GREENE, died at Bell Island, Sept. 26th, after a tedious illness. Deceased was only 24 years old, and expired at the day and hour of the first anniversary of her wedding. Deceased was a general favorite, and much sympathy is expressed at her early demise.

Dr. STABB was born on July 13th, 1866, and was the only son of the late Dr. STABB, the founder, and first superintendent of the Lunatic Asylum. He sprung from a family that has long been identified with the professional, commercial, and social history of Newfoundland. The principals of the old firms of Ewen STABB, and Nicholas STABB & Sons, were his immediate relatives, whilst Henry J. STABB, Esq., of the present H. J. STABB & Co., is his cousin. Two sisters survive him, Mrs. A. S. RENDELL and Mrs. Walter B. WEST. As a pupil at Bishop Field College, and subsequently at Lennoxville, P. Q., and in his studies in the Old Country, Dr. STABB distinguished himself. When about 18 years ago, he commenced the practice of his profession in his native town, he was warmly welcomed, and soon became the physician beloved. For several years he was associated with his warm friend, Dr. RENDELL, as a visiting physician to the General Hospital. His was a disposition of exceptional sweetness. Retiring and modest, he was in the truest sense of the word, a gentleman. Till comparatively recently, he had been prominent in athletic circles, winning laurels as a cricketer and football player; whilst as coxswain of the City Boat Club, his form was familiar to the thousands, who annually throng the banks of the Quidi Vidi. His nature was of the kindliest. It may safely be said, that not one who knows him, can find an unkind word to say of him; but what is more rare may be said with equal certainty, that Dr. STABB has never been known to say an unkind word of another. He was often spoken of as a "polished" gentleman, but the term was in a sense a misnomer, for his gentle nature bore the stamp of loyalty and sincerity, and of courtesy, charity, and Christian manliness. He is gone, but "The beauty of his better self lives on." The death of Dr. STABB leaves a vacancy in the life of our city as well as in the hearts of his relatives and friends. Men such as he are a benison to the place of their residence, and a source of justifiable pride to the land of their birth. To his immediate friends, the hearts of the people will go out in sympathy, whilst all who knew the late Dr. STABB will recognize that his passing is an irreparable loss. His kindly smile and courteous greeting will be sorely missed, and many years will elapse ere his memory fades. What though he has passed to a wider sphere, into whose rest or activities an unknowing world cannot penetrate.

Fri. Oct. 25, 1907


Channel, Oct. 22. - Yesterday (Monday) the bells of St. James' Church rang cut merrily in honor of the marriage of Miss Nora LeMOINE, of Rose Blanche, to Mr. George PIKE, son of Mr. Emanuel PIKE, of Channel. The officiating clergyman, Rev. H. J. REID, in vestments and stole, awaited the bridal party in the sanctuary. Having entered and taken their places, the solemn ceremony of marriage was performed, and the two made one. The bride looked radiant (as all brides should), and was handsomely gowned in white silk with bridal veil and coronet of lilies of the valley. The maids of honor were Misses Florence and Lillian PIKE, both of whom looked charming in white crepe de chene, with picture hats to match. The groom was supported by Messrs. J. T. KEATING and R. PIKE. Mr. KEATING performed the multifarious duties of his position with becoming modesty. The bride was given away by her brother, Mr. Harry LeMOINE, who came from Rose Blanche for the occasion. A large concourse of people had gathered at the church to witness the very interesting ceremony, and after the signing of the Register, the newly wedded pair received congratulations from all present. In the evening, a reception was held, the Orange Hall having been hired for that purpose. The popularity of the bride and groom was attested by the number of attending. Refreshments were served by a complete staff of waiters, under the supervision of the bridesmaids and groomsmen. Dancing followed, which was kept up until the small hours. At midnight, "dream cuts" of the bride cake were distributed among the single folk, and no doubt boys and girls alike placed their portions under their pillows, on the chance of having a look into the future through the medium of a dream. The wedding presents were both numerous and costly, being a further proof of the esteem and good will which the young couple have won. That their wedded happiness may contain the fullness of all the wish of their many friends. Mr. and Mrs. PIKE leave by the Glencoe, to-morrow, for Rose Blanche, the home of the bride's parents, where the honeymoon will be spent. "Ad multesannos."

Sat. Nov. 2, 1907


This morning we record the death of Mr. John SKIFFINGTON, one of the oldest residents of Quidi Vidi and St. John's East. For some time he has been seriously ill, and death was not unexpected by his family. Deceased, who had reached his 80th year, was very prominent in the fisheries of St. John's for many years. In the sealing fishery, he was a practical man in the fifties, and held various prominent positions with Captain GRAHAM. For more than 14 years he was watchman for the East End of the city, and was honest and trustworthy, Mr. SKIFFINGTON raised a large family, and those living to-day are: Richard, George, Patrick, James and John, in Boston; Edward, in St. John's, and one daughter. To the bereaved family, the "News" extends sympathy.

Mon. Nov. 4, 1907



Mr. Albert JURE, of Botwoodville, his two sons, and a young man named Nathaniel HART, who were trapping at the bend waters of the Exploits, came out to Badger, Saturday evening, with the melancholy news of the death by drowning of George, youngest son of Albert JURE. How the young man got drowned remains partly shrouded in mystery. It is supposed that being in an exhausted state, he fell into the river and was too weak to get out. It transpires that during the snow storm that prevailed on the 21st October, the poor fellow got astray from his companion, HART, and, being without food or means of making a fire, became faint from cold, want, and the heavy travelling. HART found him on Wednesday, 23rd, by following his tracks in the snow. About one mile from where he found the body, he picked up the discarded gun. Little further on, he found where he had rested, till finally coming to the banks of the Victoria, he found the body of the unfortunate man floating in a still pool, or eddy of the stream. He took the body out, and then went in search of the father and brother. These he came across at their camp on the Exploits, over twenty miles from where he found the body. Together they went, taking the planks of an old boat with them. Of these boards, they formed a sort of rude coffin, in which they tenderly placed the remains. Leaving the coffin, they at once proceeded to Badger, and from thence sent the sad news to the mother of the poor fellow. When the marshes and ponds will have frozen over, it is intended to bring out the remains for internment. George JURE was a young man of but 24 years, and was well liked by all who knew him.

Fri. Nov. 8, 1907



On October 21st, a man named William HINES, together with his son and another man by the name of COOMBS, belonging to Bartlett's Harbor, were in the country hunting caribou. The young man accidentally discharged his gun, which was loaded with heavy shot, one of which entered his father's head, and another lodged in the abdomen. Mr. HINES did not think much of the wounds at first, and he ran after a caribou, which he managed to capture after being shot himself. But he soon became weak from loss of blood, so he was taken to the coast and hurriedly conveyed to Port Saunders, where Dr. PARSONS was found. The doctor operated upon HINES, and to make sure of his recovery, had the man removed to Bonne Bay, on the last Home. - Western Star.

During the past season, Capt. Benj. OSMOND, with four of his sons on board their little schr. Young Builder (23 tons), made their annual fishing voyage up the Straits of Belle Isle. On the 26th of August, they returned to Brig Bay, where they landed and dried their voyage of end, which they reloaded on their schr. and sailed for home (Bonne Bay) on the morning of the 21st October. The wind was E.N.E., which was favourable, and the weather promising for a quick run home. At 10 p.m., Capt. OSMOND judged himself to be off Ponds River; the wind had hauled to the N.E., and increased to a gale with snow, so he shortened sail and ran the little vessel under two-reefed fore-sail until midnight, by which time the sea was in mountains and the wind blew a hurricane. So they then took in sail and ran their little craft under bare poles. At 3:30 a.m., with the storm at its height, an unlucky sea broke with such tremendous force on the stern of the Young Builder, that those on board did not know but their craft was going down stern foremost. When she had freed herself of water, the wheelman was gone, the wheel was carried away, the cabin doors smashed, the slides gone and the cabin full of water. At 7 a.m., on the 23rd, the storm began to abate, and four hours later the Young Builder, battered and storm tossed, entered her port with her flag at half mast. The missing wheelman was Arthur OSMOND, 25 years of age, unmarried, and a member of one of the best families in Bonne Bay. Young OSMOND was a quiet, unassuming young man, steady and well thought of in the community where he was born and bred, and his tragic death will be long remembered in Bonne Bay. - Western Star

Sat. Nov. 9, 1907


The marriage of Miss Annie STAPLETON, daughter of Mr. John STAPLETON, and Mr. Joseph MORIARITY, took place at the residence of the bride's father at 5 p.m. Wednesday. The ceremony was performed by Rev. W. FINN, of the Cathedral. Mr. Richard HAYDEN, uncle of the bride, gave his niece away. The bride was beautifully attired in a gown of white silk, with bridal veil and wreath, and carried a shower bouquet of white hyacinths. Misses Aggie THOMEY and Sadie HAYDEN attended the bride, as first, and second bridesmaids, respectively, the former being tastefully arranged in cream net with black picture hat, the latter in pale blue with hat to match. The groom was supported by Mr. Michael STAPLETON, brother of the bride, and his own brother, Mr. Edward MORIARITY. After the ceremony, a reception was held at which about 40 guests were present. Fr. FINN, in a very pleasing manner, complimented the happy couple upon the auspicious occasion, and paid a deserving tribute to each upon the good opinions held of them in the community. During the entry of the bridal party into, and their retirement from, the room where the ceremony was performed, Miss CASEY played Beethoven's wedding march. A very pleasant evening was spent by the assembled guests, singing and dancing being indulged in. The groom's present to the bride was a handsome gold bracelet, those to the bridesmaids, gold brooches. The bridal presents were many, useful and valuable. Mrs. MORIARITY will remain at her parental home a short time before going to her new residence.

Mon. Nov. 11, 1907



A shocking accident occurred yesterday, between 3 and 4 in the afternoon, at Logy Bay, through which James HEDDERSON lost his life by the bursting of a gun. A wedding party had just started for Torbay, and some of the younger men and boys were firing joy guns in honor of the event. a young lad, standing near HEDDERSON, was about to fire a gun, into which he had put an extra large charge, when HEDDERSON asked to be given the firearm, and it was handed over to him. The gun, which, no doubt, was old and unfit for use, exploded. A piece of the metal struck the poor fellow on the left cheek and entered his head, killing him instantly. When the man fell, a messenger was dispatched immediately to Clovelly Farm, about a mile distant, to telephone the city for medical aid, but before the services of a doctor could be procured, another messenger arrived with the information that he was dead. HEDDERSON, was married, about 34 years old, leaves a wife and four children to mourn their loss. He was a native of Turk's Gut, near Brigus, where his father, mother, and sisters are living; his wife belongs to Logy Bay, where he has also a sister married. The sad affair has cast gloom over the settlement. Deep and sincere sympathy is expressed for the bereaved family, in which the "News" joins.

Tue. Nov. 12, 1907



Further details about the terrible accident at Logy Bay, on Sunday, through which James HEDDERSON lost his life, were given us yesterday. HEDDERSON was an intimate friend of the young man BRIEN, who was to be married that afternoon, and was invited to the wedding. When the party was starting for Torbay, he, with several others, discharged musketry in honor of the event. He loaded his gun the first time with eight fingers of powder, and discharged it. The next time, he loaded it with only three fingers, and the third time he put a very heavy charge in the barrel, not measuring it. A young fellow, named CARRIGAN, who was standing near him, asked to be allowed to discharge the gun this time, but HEDDERSON jokingly replied, "No, it is just as well for me to be killed as you;" little thinking, poor fellow, of the terrible doom hanging over him. He held the firearm with both hands in front of his body, with the muzzle pointing towards the left, and as he was about to fire it off, raised it to his head, at the same time, throwing his head slightly backwards. When the discharge exploded, he toppled over on his back. Those standing near, realizing that the gun had bursted, rushed towards him to pick him up, when two streams of blood were seen to come from his face and from the top of his head. His body made one or two convulsive efforts, as if to rise, and then fell back limp and lifeless. A piece of the shattered gun had entered his left cheek between the upper and lower jaw bones, penetrated the roof of his mouth, and came out the back of his head, bringing with it instant death. Those present were horror stricken, and could not, for some time, realize that a human life had been sacrificed. At the time of the accident, the wedding party was only a few hundred yards distant on its way to Torbay, and nothing was known of the dread fatality that had occurred until the party arrived back. Both the bride and groom were grief stricken over the sad affair. It is said that the gun used was a new one, bought last year.

Fri. Nov. 15, 1907


Last night, a very pretty wedding took place at the residence of the bride's parents, 23 Springdale Street, when Miss Evelyn F., daughter of Mr. W. T. BOONE, was united in matrimony by the Rev. Charles HACKETT, to Mr. Robert WRIGHT, Jr., of the well known Water Street firm of Robert WRIGHT & Son. The bride was charmingly attired in cream Brussels net over Liberty satin, and was attended by her cousin, Miss Clarice SAMWAYS, and Miss Annie WRIGHT, sister of the groom; the bridesmaids being daintily gowned in cream silk. The groom was supported by Mr. Walter EDGAR. After refreshments had been served and congratulations tendered, the happy couple drove to their future residence, 52 Prescott Street, where they will be "At Home" to their friends after November 24th. The bride was the recipient of many handsome presents, testifying to the esteem in which she is held. The bridegroom is the eldest son and partner of Robert WRIGHT, Esq., who for many years has occupied a prominent position among the successful businessmen of Newfoundland. He has already won an honoured place in the commercial circles, and promises to maintain and enhance, the reputation for energy, enterprise, and business ability that the firm already enjoys. To bride and groom, we tender best wishes for a long union of uninterrupted happiness.


Another pleasing ceremony took place at 8 o'clock last night at the Cochrane Street Church. The occasion being the marriage of Mr. H. N. BURT, Manager of Alex. SCOTT's Dry Goods Store, New Gower Street, to Miss M. MILLEY, daughter of the late Mr. John MILLEY. The ceremony was performed by the Rev. F. R. MATTHEWS, B. A., in the presence of a large party of friends of the happy couple. Mr. F. W. PINCOCK acted as best man; Miss Edith MILLEY was bridesmaid, and little Miss Mary L. BURT filled the position of flower girl. The bride looked charming. She wore cream silk crepe-de-chene, with bridal veil and orange blossoms, and carried a bouquet of white carnations and ferns. The bridesmaid, who is sister of the bride, wore pale blue silk crepe-de-chene, and the little flower girl was prettily attired in white, carrying a basket of flowers. After the ceremony, the party drove to No. 3 Colonial Street, the residence of the bride, where a reception was held, at which forty guests attended. The presents received by the bride were numerous and costly, among them being a double set of carvers and two dozen silver knives from the Cochrane Street Sunday School and Epworth League, both the bride and groom being teachers in the school and members of the League. The "News" wishes Mr. and Mrs. BURT much happiness in their future life.

Tue. Nov. 19, 1907



The body of W. BISHOP, late manager of the Roddington Mills, at Englee, was brought up by the S.S. Portia. On the 5th inst., while engaged as usual about the mill work, he suddenly fell. The workmen near him thought the happening was due to weakness, and assisted him to his feet. They were horrified to find, however, that he was dying, and in a few minutes, he breathed his last. The body was preserved in salt and coffined, and will be sent to his late home, Bay Roberts, this morning. Deceased was about 50 years old, and for some time was manager at Englee for Dr. GRENFELL.


The 8-year-old son of Stanley ABBOTT, Springdale Street, met with a painful accident, last evening, while sliding. Young ABBOTT was coming down the incline at good speed, and collided with another slide, owned by a boy named ROBERTS. The crash was very heavy, and ABBOTT was thrown off into the drain. He was picked up in an unconscious condition and brought to his home, where a doctor was called. It was found that the boy's leg was badly fractured, and he also had a deep cut in his forehead, which required five stitches to close it.

Wed. Nov. 20, 1907



Many there are in St. John's who will learn with deep regret of the death of Mr. Frank CURTIS, of Salmonier, youngest son of the late Garrett CURTIS, who was one of our old settlers and shipbuilders of that place. The former was one of the active, intelligent spirit, of that section, entrusted with the performance of much confidential Government work, such as surveying the public lands, revising the census and electorial lists, etc. He was one of the noted shots and guides of the Avalon Peninsula; the friend of the officers of the Royal Newfoundland Companies, who, with invited comrades from the garrison at Halifax, made Salmonier their headquarters in the shooting season, with their relays of splendidly trained English pointers and setters; but not the best shot amongst them, and they candidly admitted, could equal the sure and brilliant style in which Mr. CURTIS brought down his birds, right and left. Subsequently he took service with his friend, the late Smith McKAY, in the latter's great development of the Tilt Cove copper mine. All have gone to a brighter land, we trust; bright, genial, generous souls, and the world is darker for their departure. Mr. CURTIS married at Tilt Cove, Miss HOSKINS, daughter of the mining captain there, who, with three intelligent sons and two daughters, survive him.


The body of the missing man MURPHY was found yesterday forenoon by Constable TOBIN and LAWLOR. The police searched both sides of the road from the place where the parcels were picked up, and after continuing for about three-quarters of a mile, found the corpse about 40 feet from the side of the road, in a thicket of alders. The body was on its side, and was partly frozen. The face was somewhat marked; the theory advanced being that the marks were caused from falling. Neither along the road nor about the deceased's clothing was any liquor or liquor bottles found, and the report that he had been inebriated when leaving town, is discredited. The unfortunate man did not live at Maddox Cove, but was on the way there to see his wife, who was spending a few weeks with her brother. Where the body was found, was about three hundred yards from where his wife was staying. How he wandered into the woods will remain a mystery. In the afternoon, the remains were taken to the morgue, and a post mortem examination was made by Dr. RENDELL, who pronounced death due to exposure. Last night the body was coffined and taken to his late home. MURPHY's death has created great sorrow among his friends; and it is particularly sad, considering that he had only returned from a Northern sea voyage, and was going home to see his wife. General and sincere sympathy is expressed for the family of the deceased, in which the "News" joins.


Cornelius SULLIVAN, of Harbor Main, met with a serious accident yesterday afternoon, while engaged at railway fencing work at Tickle Harbor. SULLIVAN was beside another workman, who was driving a nail, which broke off when struck, and hit SULLIVAN in the jaw, the point entering his eye. He was knocked unconscious, and a copious stream of blood flowed from the wound. After a few moments, however, he revived, but was unable to see, and it is believed he has lost his sight. The matter was reported to the Reid Co., and the injured man was brought in by last night's train for medical treatment. Mr. SULLIVAN is a hard working man, about 60 years old, and the last summer was master of a schooner at Labrador, securing a good voyage of fish.

Sat. Nov. 23, 1907


The wedding of Mr. Walter CORBETT, of Chapel's Cove, to Miss Maria SULLIVAN, daughter of Cornelius and Anastatia SULLIVAN, of Harbor Main, took place at the Church of the Holy Redeemer, Boston, Mass., on Wednesday, November 13th, at 7 p.m. The bride was dressed in white net, with bridal veil and orange blossoms, and carried a bouquet. The maid-of-honor was her sister, Miss SULLIVAN, She was dressed in white and pink de sole. The groom was supported by his brother, Mr. John CORBETT. After the ceremony, a reception was held at 119 Harvard Street, where the bride and groom were recipients of many presents, pleasing testimonials of the esteem and affection in which they are held by a large circle of friends. The assembled guests enjoyed themselves until the bright hours of morning, when they departed wishing every happiness to the newly wedded couple.

Mon. Nov. 25, 1907



Yesterday afternoon, Mr. CARTER, line repairer with the Reid Company, had a narrow escape from death, on Water Street, just above Steer Bros. CARTER was crossing the car track as a car was coming East. One of the company's express wagons was going West at the same time, and CARTER, in trying to avoid the street car, fell underneath the wheels of the express wagon, which passed over his body. The driver picked him up and drove him to the railway station, where Dr. PATERSON was called to attend him. The doctor, on examination, found that three ribs were broken, and that his head and face were badly bruised. The injured man was sent home for treatment, and it will be some time before he will be able to resume work.


Yesterday morning, a young lad, Harold LIDSTONE, son of engineer LIDSTONE, had a very narrow escape from drowning. It is customary for him to go around every Sunday morning in the Gower Street Church mission boat, distributing religious literature. He and his two companions in the boat landed at Geo. NEAL's wharf. The other two went to the west wharf and left him standing on the breastwork between the piers. Suddenly they heard a splash, and on returning back, young LIDSTONE was seen struggling in the water, having lost his balance and fallen in the dock. One of the young men jumped into the boat and quickly pulled him on board. Though chilled from his immersion in the cold water, he was nothing the worse of his sudden bath.


Yesterday afternoon, when the children of the Methodist Orphanage were going to attend Sunday school, at Alexandra Street, one of them, Martha LUSH, was noticed to fall suddenly to the street and make no effort to arise. She was lifted up in an unconscious condition and conveyed back to the Orphanage. Dr. MACPHERSON was called, and found the case of so serious a nature, that he ordered the little girl to the hospital, where she was brought a short time after. At the hospital, Drs. SHEA and RENDELL examined her and pronounced the case paralysis of the head, but could not decide if the stroke came before she fell, or resulted from the shock received in falling. Another consultation will be held this morning, to decide if an operation will be necessary. Meanwhile, the little girl is in a critical condition, but everything possible will be done to restore her to health.

Thur. Nov. 28, 1907



Mr. HAWKER, of Carbonear, who is charged with wrongful appropriation of moneys for his own use, will come up for trial before the Supreme Court on circuit at Carbonear this morning, the Chief Justice, Sir William HORWOOD, presiding. The prisoner will be defended by Mr. Frank J. MORRIS, K.C. Messrs. A. J. W. McNEILY, K.C., and A. O. HAYWARD, K.C., will act for the Crown. Several other cases will also come before court there during the sittings.


The two men, BUSSEY and COVEYDUCK, who assaulted Conductor BESANT, near Clarke's Beach, on the shore train, a few nights ago, were before Magistrate THOMPSON, at Brigus, yesterday. The case was clearly proven against both men, but the company did not want to press the charge, and they were let off with a fine of $2 or seven days. Both received a long lecture from the Judge, who strongly condemned their conduct, and warned them against any such future transgressions. Mr. W. R. WARREN acted for the Company; the men were undefended.


Saturday last, at Brigus, an interesting fishery case came up for hearing before Magistrate THOMPSON. A fisherman named PENNEY sued Mr. JERRETT for wages. Plaintiff was a shareman with defendant, and was invalided home. He claimed his share of the fish taken up to the time he left the fishing port. The issue, therefore, received itself into what quantity of fish was caught when PENNEY left. A number of witnesses were examined on both sides, the hearing occupying all day, Judgement was reserved. Mr. GIBBS, for plaintiff; Mr. HOWLEY, for defendant.

Fri. Nov. 29, 1907



Few people realize the extent of the mining operations being conducted at Bell Island. One work now in progress there is of special interest, an under-sea tunnel which is being excavated from number two slope of the Nova Scotia Steel Company's mine. The quantity of ore available on this company's claim is limited, and after a number of years, even at the present rate of output, must become exhausted. Acting on the belief that the ore beds extended under the waters of Conception Bay, water claims were taken up. The Dominion company secured the claim next to the Island and extending one mile from the shore; the area outside this belongs to Nova Scotia Steel Company. To reach this claim, the latter company is driving a submarine tunnel through the Dominion Company's claim. remarkable progress is being made at the work, and the tunnel is already nearly three-quarters of a mile from the shore. A good roof is formed so far, and there is no danger from the sea entering, as the gradient brings the work lower under the bottom of the bay, as the work progresses. A good lead of ore is found all the way along, and it is fully expected that a rich lode will reward the efforts of the company, when their own claim is reached. It is quite possible, that in a few years, a busy mine will be in operation more than a mile, perhaps two miles, out under the waters of Conception Bay, and while the industrious fisher is drawing wealth from the waters, hundreds of feet below him, scores of busy miners, with the aid of electric light, will be working their drills by compressed air, sent them through pipes from the compressing machines, on the distant Isle.



A very pretty wedding was solemnized at the home of the bride's parents, Brigus, Wednesday evening at 8 p.m., when Mr. John FURLONG, of Smithville, and Miss Maggie BURKE, daughter of Captain James BURKE, were united in marriage by the Rev. Monsignor WALSH. Mr. James FURLONG, brother of the groom, was best man; and Miss Bride BURKE, sister of the bride, filled the position of bridesmaid. The bride was given away by her father. She looked charming in a dress of cream voile, trimmed with lace of a unique design; wearing a bridal veil, and wreath of lilies of the valley, and carrying a bouquet of roses. The bridesmaid was charmingly attired in pale green voile trimmed with white lace. After the ceremony had been over, and congratulations tendered, the company of forty guests, partook of the wedding supper, at which the Very Rev. Monsignor WALSH proposed the health of the bride, which was responded to by the groom and duly honored by the company. A most enjoyable time was spent by all present, songs and music being in order until an early hour in the morning. The guests were the immediate friends of bride and groom, ten of whom were from the city. Many and valuable presents were received by the bride, both bride and groom being very popular among their friends.

A very pretty wedding took place at 78 Bond Street, at three o'clock yesterday afternoon, when Capt. Ed. ENGLISH, of the S.S. Fiona, and Miss Kathleen O'DRISCOLL, were united in matrimony by Rev. Fr. McDERMOTT. The bride was attended by her sister, Miss Tillie O'DRISCOLL and Mr. Frank ENGLISH supported the groom. Mr. M. O'DRISCOLL, brother of the bride, performed the duties of father-giver. After the ceremony a reception was held, and the happy couple received the congratulations of those present. The bride and groom left by last evening's train for Holyrood, where the honeymoon will be spent. The "News" extends congratulations, and wishes Mr. and Mrs. ENGLISH many happy years of married happiness.

Mon. Dec. 2, 1907



On Nov. 27, at 7 o'clock, at the Sacred Heart Church, Sydney, C.B., by the Rev. Father MacADAM, Mr. John R. PARSONS, son of the late Robert PARSONS, of St. John's, N.F., to Miss Isabel PROWSE, daughter of Mr. J. PROWSE, also of St. John's, N.F.


On Nov. 27, at 7 o'clock, at the Sacred Heart Church, Sydney, C.B., by the Rev. Father MacADAM, Mr. James A. POWERS, of New York City, to Miss Amy S. HICKEY, daughter of Mr. P. HICKEY, taxidermist, St. John's, N.F.

Fri. Dec. 6, 1907



Mrs. Anna BAKER, of Sound Island, who has been suffering from mental aberration for some weeks, attempted suicide Tuesday night. While the family was sleeping, she left the house and jumped over the wharf about 100 yards distant. When she got in the water, some nearby residents heard her scream, and after some difficulty, rescued her. The demented woman fortunately jumped in shoal water, and was driven by the tide to the beach, where she was rescued. last night she was brought in by train, in charge of Mr. MITCHELL, J.P., who, with Constable LYNCH, took her to the Asylum. Mrs. BAKER was in a straight jacket, and acted violently on the way to the city.


Carbonear, Dec. 5th. - Capt. Edgar PENNEY, a prominent citizen of Carbonear, and principal of the large fishery and export firm of E. PENNEY & Son, died suddenly last night. He was around town on Wednesday amongst his friends as usual. At 9 p.m. he visited his aged neighbor and brother-in-law, Mr. Joseph POWELL, retiring to rest at 10 p.m. a quarter of an hour later, his wife discovered him in convulsions. At 11:20 he passed away, not having recovered consciousness since his seizure. The doctor pronounced apoplexy as the cause of death. Capt. PENNEY had not been in good health for the past six months. At the time of his death, he was surrounded by all the members of his family, who are stunned by the suddenness of the stroke. The widow, who is an invalid, is prostrated. In Capt. Edgar PENNEY's death, Carbonear loses one of its best known and most enterprising citizens.


The news of Capt. Edgar PENNEY's death at Carbonear, particulars of which will be found in our telegraphic columns, comes with startling suddenness. It is true that he had not been in his accustomed health of recent months, but none anticipated that the blow would have fallen, without warning. Within two hours of his departure, he was visiting friends, neither they nor he thinking that the grim messenger of death was even then hovering over them.

Captain Edgar PENNEY was a man of strong personality. There was nothing about the fishery, from the catching of fish to the marketing, that he was not thoroughly informed about. In him, practical knowledge and executive ability were strongly mingled. A keen business man, he studied every part of the business in which he was engaged. In earlier days, he was a successful sealing master, but withdrew from that branch of the country's business when steam superceded sail. Early in the eighties, he established, with his brothers, the firm of PENNEY Bros., and after partnership was dissolved, the present firm of E. PENNEY & Son was established. The headquarters during the season were at Isle au Bois, in the Straits, but there are other establishments at Bradore, on Canadian Labrador, and elsewhere. As a citizen, Capt. PENNEY was greatly interested in everything that made for the well-being of the country. He was a life long Conservative, and always ready, - to state his convictions and maintain them. To Education he was a warm friend, and to his warm and cordial co-operation was due much of the success which attached to the old Methodist Grammar School at Carbonear. In his youth, Education was not easy to obtain, and Captain Edgar mourned the loss, and determined that, so far as his power went, the advantages that had not been his, should be liberally bestowed upon the younger generation. Although not of the schools, he was a close student of men and events, an omnivorous reader, with a most retentive memory. Few men could discuss, with equal readiness and accuracy, the current events transpiring at home, in this Empire, or the wider world. Staunchly Conservative and eminently loyal, his was a nature which inspired loyalty. Ay, more, it inspired loyalty in another sense, the loyalty of friendship, for no truer friend than Edgar PENNEY has lived; friendship was to him a sacred thing, not lightly given, but once given, not easily broken, and it is a friend as well as citizen that his departure is so deeply deplored. We have spoken of him as thoroughly acquainted with the fisheries, and all belonging to them, and no wonder, for although he has passed the Psalmist's limit and was well into the seventies, the present summer was the first that he had spent in Newfoundland since childhood. If memory serves aright, every spring for sixty years had seen him join in the exodus to Labrador. This year failing health uttered its warning, and he remained home, but his heart was in the familiar scenes of bye-gone years, and he would fain have been at the helm as of yore. He leaves a widow, three sons and two daughters, - Messrs. William F., Eben R., and Albert E. PENNEY; Mrs. John R. GOODISON, and Mrs. Robert DUFF; also several grandchildren. Captain Josiah H. PENNEY and Judge PENNEY are brothers, and Mrs. W. S. CANNING, of St. John's, and Mrs. Robert SIMPSON, of Carbonear, are sisters. One brother, the Rev. W. F. PENNEY, B.D., died about thirty years ago, and one sister, Mrs. POWELL, whose son, Mr. John POWELL, holds a foremost place in connection with the Reid-Nfld. Company. Capt. Edgar was one of the human landmarks of Carbonear, and his passing is the breaking of a link in the chain which connected the earlier days with those of the present. A few of his boyhood friends remain, but one by one they have passed to the Great Beyond. It was seemly that his last visit should have been to his warm friend and brother by marriage, the aged John POWELL, with whom he had so often discoursed of the days of the long ago. The funeral takes place to-day, and amongst those of his kith and kin, who have long since crossed the Borderland, he will rest, in the old cemetery at Carbonear, for his was one of the oldest families of the ancient town. With his sorrowing family, and especially the partner for almost half a century of his joys and sorrows, we sincerely sympathize. The suddenness of the shock has added to the severity of the blow, but his was a life of usefulness, and be it theirs to rejoice that it can be said of him that, keen in business and firm in action, he never wronged his fellow man, and never did a mean or ungentlemanly act. It was such as he who justify the reference to modern Vikings as "hearts of oak".

Wed. Dec. 11, 1907



Mr. and Mrs. Arthur RENDELL with their 2 sons, left by last night's express for England, via Halifax, where they join the C.P.R. Steamer "Empress of Britain". They procured through tickets from General Passenger Agent Johnstone, of the Reid-Newfoundland Company. Through transportation is a great convenience to the travelling public, and it is a gratifying feature in connection with the Reid system, that arrangements have been made to secure through passenger and freight rates, as well by the C.P.R. steamers as their trains. That luggage may now be checked right through from its destination is a very desirable feature, as transshipments are thereby robbed of the worst of their terrors. Luggage is checked at St. John's, and there the worry ceases until Liverpool.

Thur. Dec. 12, 1907



This morning we chronicle the death of Mrs. RYAN, mother of Capt. J. RYAN, Spaniard's Bay, which occurred at her residence, Tuesday night, after an illness of a few weeks. Deceased had reached the ripe age of 89 years, and during the summer and fall months was actively engaged at farm work, assisting in sowing and taking in the crops. For a woman who has outlived the allotted span by almost a score of years, she possessed remarkable vitality up to two months previous to death. Her memory was unimpaired, and with preciseness, she could relate happenings of eighty years ago. She resided in Spaniard's bay all her life time, and her hospitality and charity was such as made her famed not only in the settlement, but throughout Conception Bay, and in St. John's as well. Her husband, one of the pioneer fishermen and sealkillers of Conception Bay, predeceased her many years ago. Captains James RYAN and John RYAN, Mrs. J. M. CLEARY and Mrs. J. CAIN, sons and daughters, survive. The funeral takes place to-morrow at Spaniard's Bay.


The case of the King vs. Augustus SWEENEY, for manslaughter, was heard in the Supreme Court, yesterday, before the Chief Justice. The accused was charged with killing Stephen ANDREWS, near his home on Spencer Street, on January 1st, 1907.

Mr. GREENE, K.C., for the Crown; Mr. FURLONG, K.C., for defendant. The following jury were sworn: James PARKER, John McNEIL, Michael NOLAN, Michael CAUL, Philip HUDSON, William PEDDIGREW, John F. CLARKE, John BEER, Patrick JAMES, Henry COWAN, Frank JACKMAN, Henry BLATCH. Mr. GREENE, K.C., stated the case for the Crown, George W. TURNER was sworn and plans and photographs put in. Ellen EARLES, Margaret COOPER, Dr. FRASER, DR. SCULLY and Elizabeth ANDREWS were examined. The Court then took recess.

After recess, Mr. FURLONG, K.C., addressed the Jury on behalf of the prisoner. Mr. GREENE, K.C., followed for the Crown; both gentlemen made brilliant addresses and each presented his side of the case in clear and forcible language to the Jury, many able and learned arguments being put forward, by each of the learned Counsels in support of the side he represented. The Judge then charged the Jury, and they retired at 4 p.m. At 5:20, the Jury returned to the Court with the verdict of "Not Guilty".

Fri. Dec. 20, 1907



The soul of William DONNELLY, a well-known resident of St. John's, was ushered into eternity at 7:30 last evening. While the angel of death was hovering around, the family surrounded his bedside, and the end was peace. Deceased for many years was prominent in social life, and all who knew him, knew him as a friend. His word was his bond, and his nature was too modest to admit a good turn done. Mr. DONNELLEY was a native of County Kilkenney, Ireland, and came to St. John's when a youth. During most of his years of residence here, he was engaged in the dry goods business, and latterly occupied the prominent position of foreman in the West End stores of Hon. George KNOWLING. One of the oldest drapers in St. John's, his knowledge of that trade was much sought after, and his demise makes a vacancy that is hard to fill. A widow and two sons survive, to whom the "News" tenders sincere sympathy.


Lloyd's Surveyor WHEATLEY, who for many years has been a familiar figure in the life of the city, died last night at 10:30 p.m., after a weeks illness. He was about 65 years old. Some 17 years have elapsed since he came to this country, the first resident Lloyd's surveyor. His appointment was the result of continued agitation in shipping circles, and time has amply justified the wisdom of the demand. Mr. WHEATLEY was a man of commanding physique. His strong Northumbrian burr proclaimed him a loyal and vigorous North of England man. He was just the right man for the position, fearing none and daring all. He made many friends in the city and on the Island; probably he made some enemies, and the man who could hold the position he held; and do his duty manfully and honourably without incurring enimity does not exist. At the Masonic Club, he was a regular visitor, and his genial presence there, as elsewhere, will be sorely missed. He leaves a widow, whose sorrow is shared by a large circle of friends.


The time of bereavement is always a time of sorrow, and when death comes amid the festive season, whose chief feature is family re-union, there is an added sadness, and a deeper pathos. But the grim reaper knows neither time nor place, and spares neither youth nor age. Yesterday morning in far-off Toronto, young Stanley MORINE was called away, - he was only about 18 years of age, but in his brief career had won a reputation amongst his comrades, that any lad might well be proud of. At Bishop Field College, where he was educated, he was regarded by masters and pupils alike, as a boy of exceptional brightness with a career before him of great promise. The dread White Plague seized him, and not the most careful ministration, of the highest medical skill, could avail to snatch him from the dread embrace. Last summer, he came with his parents on a visit to his native land, all sharing in the hope that the pure air of Salmonier might help in warding off the fatal hour. But it was not to be, and the dearly-loved son has passed. A message to this effect reached Mr. William FREW, of this city, yesterday. Mr. and Mrs. A. B. MORINE will have warm and general sympathy in this time of sorrow. Words cannot lessen the reality of the grief, but sympathy may assuage in some slight degree its bitterness.

Dec. 21, 1907



Mr. Joseph ROSS is having his grocery store tastefully decorated with boughs and evergreens so that the shop will look attractive during the Xmas season.

A quiet wedding took place at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Church of the Holy Redeemer at Spaniard's Bay, when Mr. George W. ANDREWS, son of Mr. Stephen ANDREWS, led to the alter Miss Louise DAVIS, youngest daughter of Mr. George DAVIS. All belong to this town. The ceremony was performed by Rev. C. CARPENTER, incumbent of the mission of Christ Church and Harbor Grace South. The bride was given away by her brother, Mr. Llewlyn DAVIS, while Miss Belle HAWKINS attended as bridesmaid; Rev. J. S. ADAMS, incumbent of the mission of Spaniard's Bay, supported the groom. After the ceremony, the bridal party returned to town and partook of a wedding supper at the residence of the brides father. The bridal presents were many and expensive, among them being a valued gift from the firm of W. H. THOMPSON & co. in whose drug store the very popular groom is employed. Mr. ANDREWS is widely known and respected, while Mrs. ANDREWS is equally appreciated and esteemed. The happy couple have hosts of friends who are pleased to offer congratulations, and, who unite in expressing the hope that their journey through life together may be a long one, uninterrupted with the sorrows and cares which too frequently mar the joys of home life.

Capt. Samuel SWYER, of Sandy Point, is having a schooner about 40 tons built this winter at Harry's Brook. Capt. Samuel BUTT is master-builder, and judging by the past efforts in shipbuilding, a first-class is expected to be turned out to Capt. SWYER.

We learn that the dwelling house and gardens of Mr. Ed. HANRAHAN, St. George's have been purchased by Mr. B. A. McROUX. The little schr.-yacht built and launched this year by Mr. HANRAHAN, has been docked and in the spring her owner will likely return and sail her to Boston, where she will have a gasoline engine installed in her.

The gasoline boat used by Capt. L. SEELEY in this Bay, was disposed of last week to Capt. S. SHAW, of Bay St. George. We learn that Capt. SHAW got her at a remarkably low figure. She is a very comfortable and speedy boat, and it is intention of the owner to take her to Labrador next year to facilitate his fishing operations.

On Tuesday last, magistrate MacDONALD had John BENOIT, of Bank Head, cited before him at St. George's. The defendant, who is a lad of only 17 years, was charged with having broken into the shop of Mr. Andrew MARCH, Bank Head. As far as we can learn, nothing was taken from the shop excepting a few biscuits. The Magistrate fined him $5.

Thur. Dec 26, 1907


CHRISTIAN - At Trinity, on the 19th inst., Elizabeth, beloved wife of Thomas CHRISTIAN, aged 64 years, leaving a husband and two sons to mourn their loss.

WALSH - There passed away on Tuesday, Dec. 24th, in the 83rd year of her age, Mrs. Ann WALSH, relict of the late Stephen WALSH, contractor, and mother of Wm. WALSH, the well known custom shoemaker of Bannerman Street, and mother of Stan. WALSH, of the firm of Moore & Co., plumbers, also having two daughters, Mrs. Philip MOORE and Mrs. Richard CARROLL, of Signal Hill, to mourn the loss of a kind and loving mother. Funeral to-day, Thursday, at 2:30 o'clock from her son's residence, No. 30 1/2 Bannerman Street. Friends and acquaintances are kindly requested to attend without further notice. No crepe.



Yesterday afternoon, whilst Christmas festivities and rejoicing were in most of our homes, a sad procession wended its way to the General Protestant Cemetery, where the mortal remains of the late Mrs. Susie JOYCE were reverently consigned to Mother Earth. She passed away on Monday night after an illness of several weeks, which, despite acute suffering, she had endured with perfect resignation to the Devine Will. Her husband, Mr. Robert JOYCE, of Bowring Bros.' Dry Goods, is left with four little children, the youngest an infant of a few weeks, to mourn throughout life the loss of a devoted wife and mother. The blow falls with severity upon her aged father, Mr. James GUY, Sr., of Carbonear, her brother and sisters. During her last days, she was lovingly attended by a relative, who came from Carbonear, and amongst those from her native town who were privileged to attend the last sad rites were her brother, Mr. William GUY, and her brothers-in-law, Messrs. W. F. PENNEY, Eben R. PENNEY, and T. C. BADCOCK. The funeral was conducted by the Revs. Charles HACKETT and F. R. MATTHEWS, B.A., the latter a relative, by marriage, of the deceased lady. Sympathy is always acute when a young wife is called from her husband and babes, but there is an added pathos when the parting takes place on the day of family re-unions, the birth day of the Christ.



The wedding took place yesterday (Christmas Day) at the residence of the bride's parents, Bon Accord Cottage, Topsail Road, of Miss F. S. DAVIDSON, youngest daughter of W. H. DAVIDSON, Esq., to Mr. J. GUNN, of Wick, Scotland. The ceremony was conducted by Rev. J. THACKERAY, owing to the illness of the Rev. Dr. ROBERTSON. The bridesmaids were Misses Henry and Kathleen DAVIDSON. Mr. R. A. EDWARDS performed the duties of best man. The bride was attired in a dress of cream silk crepe-de-chine and silk embroidery. The presents were very handsome and numerous, including several cheques. After supper, the happy couple left for their future home on Leslie Street.


Lunenburg, N. S., Dec. 25th - Joseph NICKELL, a fireman on the Newfoundland steamer "Louise", in port here, was found drowned in the dock this morning.

Mr. Geo. W. B. AYRE slipped on the sidewalk opposite his father's shop on Water Street, Tuesday evening, and sprained his ankle, and had to be taken to his home in a cab. He suffered a good deal of pain, and it was thought the ankle was dislocated until the doctor had examined it.

"Reprinted courtesy of Robinson-Blackmore Printing and Publishing"
Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly prohibited and subject to legal action.


Page Contributed by Chris Shelley (July 10, 2000)
Page Revised by Don Tate (13 Jul 2000)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]