To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".
These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.
This is going to begin what will be my third series of postings from the St. John's Daily News. I hope you find them as informative as the previous ones. I also took down the numbers of the microfilms in case someone would like them so they enter them in as a source of info. Please contact me if you would like them.
Tues. Jan. 15, 1907
MARY COOK BELIEVED TO BE ELSIE SPARKS - SHE WEARS MISSING RAGLAN
Saturday night, some unknown person entered the residence of Hon. H GEAR, LeMarchant Road, with the intent of stealing. Sunday night, another attempt was made, and yesterday morning the affair was reported to Supt. SULLIVAN. Detective BYRNE visited the place and found that the marauder had collected knives, forks, curtains, and a few other articles, placed them in a canvas bag, but for some reason or other, did not take them when leaving. A blouse was all that the thief made of with. Suspicion rested on a young woman named Mary COOK, a former employee. Yesterday it was also reported to the police that a lady's coat and hat had been stolen from the Methodist Orphanage, between the hours of Saturday night and daylight yesterday. The matron and her assistants were confident that the thief had entered through a window, and not by the door, and it immediately occurred to the detectives that if such were the case, the thief was familiar with the institution; but the ladies suspected no one, and could give the officers very little ground to work upon. Last year a girl named Elsie SPARKS, who was formerly one of the inmates, was convicted of larceny, and went to the penitentiary for 6 months, and it occurred to the police that perhaps Miss SPARKS could be account for the missing coat and hat. During the day, search was made for her, but no tidings of her could be gleaned. While not losing sight of the Orphanage robbery, the police kept on the trail of Miss COOK, and at 11 last night, Officer BYRNE located her in a West End residence. A warrant had been issued for her arrest, and the detective had her driven to the station. There she affirmed that the people whose house she was in were relatives, but they assert that they are no kin, and took her in for charity's sake. At the station, she became obstreperous and would not allow the matron, Miss WALSH, to search her clothing. Getting a view of the girls face under the electric light, BYRNE discovered that Mary COOK was Elsie SPARKS of a year ago, and that the two girls he wanted was before him in the one damsel. Mary or Elsie denied being other than Miss COOK, though she gave away information which strengthens the suspicions of the police. If Miss COOK is not Miss SPARKS, there is considerable evidence that she stole the coat at the Orphanage, as the missing article had the letters "M. T." worked in the thread on the inside, and the raglan she took off had the above initials on the back. Miss COOK has lived with several families as domestic, and the police believe she is responsible for more than one case of larceny, which were never brought to light. It is said that when Elsie SPARKS was liberated from the prison, she assumed the name Mary COOK, knowing it would be much easier for her to get a position with the fictitious name. This morning, she will go before Judge FLANNERY, who will deal with her case.
Sat. Jan. 19, 1907
A pretty wedding was solemnized at the Anglican church, Petty Harbor, at 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Rev. H. K. WOODWARD officiating. The principals were Miss Sarah E. ROWE, formerly of Hart's Content, and Mr. William J. WHITTEN, of the Harbor. The bride, who was neatly gowned, was attended by Miss Charlotte RENDELL, the duties of father-giver devolving on Mr. James RENDELL, while Mr. John WIER supported the groom. After the ceremony, the party drove to the parsonage, where a reception was held. At night, a supper was served at their future residence, to which a large number of invitations had been extended. The young couple are well known, and received a large number of presents.
Sat. Jan. 26, 1907
With profound sorrow and surprise, the city learned last night of the death of Mr. Samuel P. BOWDEN, the well-known sailmaker.
He was at work in his sail-loft at 5 p.m., when the stroke came. After lingering for a few hours, he passed away at 9:15 p.m., from hemorrhage of the brain, or apoplexy.
Mr. BOWDEN, as Tyler of the three Masonic Lodges, was highly esteemed by the brethren of the Craft. His friends were his acquaintances, and his acquaintances were his friends. The Craft will miss him sorely, whilst citizens generally will sorrow at the passing of a good man and true.
But it is on the stricken family that the heaviest blow has fallen - a blow the more severe because of its awful suddenness. To the widow, daughters and sons we extend sincere sympathy, - sympathy in which the citizens of St. John's and all who knew the good man, now passes away, unite.
The funeral takes place on Sunday afternoon. We have received no notification of a Masonic emergency, but have no doubt that the Craft will be summoned to-morrow to follow to the grave, a brother beloved, who has so frequently, in the years that have gone, led similar sad processions to the Cities of the Dead.
Thur. Jan. 31, 1907
DIED THIS MORNING AT 12:30 AFTER A BRIEF ILLNESS
Captain Arthur JACKMAN entered into eternity at 12:30 this morning, after an illness of short duration. A few days ago, he was in apparent good health, and no indications of such a quick termination of life's battle was evident. But God ruled otherwise, and man, though sad and sorrowing, can only submit. Monday last, the doctors gave up hope, and Very Rev. Dean RYAN was called to administer the last consoling rites of the Catholic church, and since Rev. Fr. McDERMOTT and deceased's nephew, Rev. W. JACKMAN, were in attendance. The life that has just ushered into mystery was well spent. Few had as many friends and were so widely known as the subject of this obituary. As a navigator, he had few superiors, and in seamanship and daring, he can be reckoned with the Norsemen of old. And his deeds are not alone known to his own countrymen, but the world over. Old "sea dog" that he was, blunt and unceremonious, he nevertheless had a friendly nature, and few who ever wept to him in distress came away un-aided. His charitableness was not boastful, but many a widow and orphan, whom he has relieved unknown to the world, will offer a prayer to Him who rules all things for the repose of the soul of their benefactor. Yesterday, when told that death was near, he appeared to meet his Author with that remarkable courage that brought him through life, and raised him to an enviable position in the estimation of the community. One of the last sentences he uttered was to enquire as to the health of his life-long friend, Capt. BLANDFORD, and, we are informed, that about the same hour, Capt. BLANDFORD made a similar enquiry as to Capt. JACKMAN. That he will be greatly missed is without doubt, particularly in the sealing voyage, which will soon be ushered in. No more will his manly form occupy the bridge of the good ship Eagle. No more will he direct a gallant sealing crew of his fellow countrymen; no more will his voice be heard over the howling March storm, guiding the ship to rescue some poor sealer, who otherwise would be left to perish. It is all over. The sturdy captain has panned his last seal, he has given his last command, he has silently sailed his bark over the still sea of death, and let us hope it was guided well by Him who stilled the waters of Galilee, and has entered that haven of rest where his soul would be.
A widow, who is in New York; a daughter, Mrs. H. HEUSKS, who is at present in Montreal; two sisters and numerous relatives are left to mourn, to whom general sympathy will go out, and in which the "News" joins.
Born in Renews in 1843, the homestead of the JACKMAN family, he chose sea life for his avocation. Following the footsteps of his brother, the late Capt. William JACKMAN, he soon reached the top notch, and at the age of 22 was given command of a schooner. He continued in sailing vessels until 1871 - making his last trip in the brig Fanny Bloomer, when he was appointed his brothers successor in the S. S. Hawk, the latter being given the Eagle, then a new ship. That year his catch was 1,400 seals. Since then he has been in command of steamers, viz., Hawk, Falcon, Narwal, Resolute, Eagle (1), Aurora, Terra Nova, and the present Eagle. He lost Hawk in 1886, and the Eagle during a whaling trip to Greenland in 1893. His work did not end with sealing. Several whaling trips were made to Greenland, the last being in 1894. He was also captain of the coastal steamers Curlew and Plover, and, in that capacity, made hosts of friends. He was thoroughly acquainted with the entire coast of Newfoundland, and during his years in the coastal service, few, if any, accidents happened there while under his charge. When Harvey & Co. took over the coastal service, the Bowring boats went into the Sydney trade, and the Plover was lost while Capt. JACKMAN was in charge on a passage from Sydney to this port. But after all, sealing was his line more than any other business, and in this, he was eminently successful. Last year he completed his 36th spring in the command of a steamer, and had the title of Commodore of the Fleet. The result of his work in that period was 552,510 seals - an average of 15,347 a year - valued at more than $1,000,000. Not less than 8,000 men were under his care during his life, at the icefields; and he had the remarkable fortune of never losing a man, which won for him the deserved credit of "being able to pick up his crew, no matter what happened." Death, however, often visited his ship, and in 1897 - the stormiest spring in his history - not less than four of his crew succumbed. In that year, Capt. JACKMAN was in the Aurora, which was the only ship to load, the seals being found in the vicinity of the Virgin Rocks. In 1906 this was duplicated, the Eagle being the first ship in, the only one with a full load, and the coveted harps were again secured well off on the banks. Though it is not generally known, he held the record for being "first in", having four springs to his credit. In 1878, March 31st, he arrived in the Falcon, with 21,190; 1885, March 31st, Resolute, 34,628; 1895, March 27th, Aurora, 29,916; 1905, March 28th, Eagle, 32,064. The first steamers commanded by him, such as the Hawk, Eagle (1) and Falcon were small, else would be his total catch have been much greater. However, he had the unique record of always bringing a "saving" trip for the merchant.
Mon. Feb. 4, 1907
HYMENEALPOWER - WHEALAN
A very pretty wedding was solemnized at St. Patrick's church, on the 23rd ult., when Mr. Thomas WHEALAN and Miss Katherine POWER, of the West End, were united in the holy bonds of matrimony, before St. Joseph's altar. The bride was handsomely attired in a suit of pearl grey, with hat to match. Miss Mary POWER and Miss Mary (Babe) HADEN acted as bridesmaids, while Mr. Thomas P. HICKEY and Mr. W. GREEN supported the groom. After the ceremony, the party drove to the residence of Mr. and Mrs. FITZGIBBON, Water St., where a sumptuous supper was partaken of. the presents received were numerous and costly.
WHITE - VOISEY
At New York, Jan. 15th last, the wedding of Miss Ellen WHITE, of that city, and Mr. H. J. VOISEY, manager of the Yorkshire House, St. John's, was solemnized at the Carmalite church. The bride, who was beautifully attired, was given away by Mr. W. DAVIS, and was attended by her sister, Miss Alice WHITE. Messrs. Carl DAVIS, Brooklyn, and Austin CANNING, Newfoundland, assisted the groom. The groom's present to the bride was a handsome bracelet, and to the bridesmaids, a diamond stickpin. After the ceremony, a wedding feast was partaken of at the residence of Mr. DAVIS, 127 First Place, Brooklyn, at which a large number of guests attended. The same day the happy couple left for Montreal and Halifax, at which places the
honeymoon was spent. Mr. and Mrs. VOISEY returned here, Saturday, by the S. S. Ulunda, where they will take up their residence. The "News" joins with their many friends in wishing them many happy years of matrimonial bliss.
Wed. Tues. Feb 5, 1907
One of the best known residents of Port de Grave, Mrs. George Perry, died at her residence there, on Saturday last, and was buried yesterday. Deceased was widow of the late George PERRY, and for some years preceding her husband's death resided at Halifax, where Mr. P. was engaged in business. Mr. Samuel DAWE, Port de Grave, and Mr. Thos. DAWE, H. M. C., of this city, were her brothers. Three years ago, Mrs. PERRY was operated upon here by Dr. MITCHELL, for cancer, the operation, though serious, being completely successful, no suspicion of the disease since manifesting itself. Three weeks ago, a heavy cold and bronchitis overtook the deceased, and early last week pneumonia developed. She was visited by Dr. MITCHELL, who went over to Port de Grave, but too late to be of assistance, and on Saturday death came. Of a kindly disposition, Mrs. PERRY was naturally popular amongst her large circle of acquaintances, and her death will cause a vacancy not easily filled. To those sorrowing, the "News" tenders sympathy.
Thur. Feb. 7, 1907
A very pretty wedding took place at Turk's Cove, T. B., on January 31st, when Miss Minnie CARBERY was united in the bonds of holy matrimony to Mr. Joseph BARESFORD, of Gambo. The bride, tastefully attired in blue, trimmed with satin and lace, with hat to match, looked very pretty, and was attended by her cousin, Miss Maggie F. HEARTY, as maid of honour, and her little sister Miss Ellie CARBERY, as flower girl, while Messrs. Thomas RYAN and Charles SCOTT supported the groom. The Church was beautifully decorated for the occasion. After the ceremony, at which Rev. F. D. McCARTHY officiated, the bridal party drove to the residence of the brides mother, amidst volleys of musketry and a grand display of bunting. There, refreshments were served and dancing indulged in until two o'clock next morning. The bride was the recipient of many useful and costly presents. The writer extends to Mr. and Mrs. BARESFORD hearty congratulations, and wishes them a cloudless future.
Wed. Mar. 6, 1907
It is with feeling of sadness I have to write of the death by drowning yesterday of Clement, the seven year old son of Mary and James W. COLLINS, H. M. C. Although the deceased was of such tender years, and has only exchanged this vale of tears for never ending happiness, still the circumstances attending his death have cast a gloom over the place.
Our darling Clem, the sunshine of our home, full of life and glee, had just finished dinner and before going to afternoon school with a number of other boys, went out skating on the Swans, opposite his house. Some men were hauling wood, and Clem got on one of the slides to get a ride. Near the land and within a few yards of his parents house, one side of the slide went through the ice and the wood toppled over, and in less time it takes to tell, poor little Clem was precipitated under the ice into eternity. A number of men were immediately on the scene, but long before the body was recovered the spirit had fled. To the sorrowing parents bereft of their dear little one, we tender our sincere sympathies.
Wed. Apr. 10, 1907
HYMENEAL:McCARTHY - LARACY One of the prettiest weddings of the season was solemnized, last night, at the residence of the bride's parents, Mr. J. and Mrs. McCARTHY's, Leslie St. The participating parties were Miss Minnie McCARTHY and Mr. P. LARACY. The wedding took place at 8 p.m., Rev, Dean RYAN, assisted by Revs, J. McDERMOTT and J. COADY, performing the ceremony. The bride was attired in French champagne voile, over silk, and carried a bouquet. She was attended by Misses Annie LARACY and McCARTHY, who were handsomely dressed in white silk muslin. Mr. J. J. McCARTHY, brother of the bride, attended the groom. After the ceremony had been performed, the immediate friends of the contracting parties, who were present, were entertained to supper, and later a musicale, which was most enjoyable. At 10:30, the happy couple and friends drove to the brides residence, 280 Duckworth St., where a reception was held. The presents received were valuable and many, demonstrating the popularity of the bride. The "News" joins with their many friends in wishing Mr. and Mrs. LARACY many years of happiness.
Wed. May 1, 1907
One of the saddest accidents to occur in the city for some time happened yesterday morning, when the two-year-old daughter , Mary, of Mr. and Mrs. Edward MOORE, 26 Duckworth St., was run over and instantly killed. Mrs. MOORE and her little girl had just come out of their house, and while the mother was talking to a neighbor, the child ran across the street. The Royal Stores furniture wagon, driven by Denis FITZGERALD, was passing at the time, but neither the driver of J. PIERCEY, who was also in the van, saw the tiny mite. The child fell and the wheel passed over its face and head, fracturing the skull. Rueben EDDY, of the Martin Hardware Co., was near, and running to the scene, picked the little one up and brought it to the house. The face was badly bruised and blood was flowing from the ears. Death must have been instantaneous, as the child showed very little sign of life after the terrible occurrence. Dr. KEEGAN was quickly summoned by FITZGERALD, but when he arrived, the infant was beyond medical aid. The doctor pronounced death due to fracture of the skull. The poor mother, who was practically an eyewitness of the heart-rending affair, was overcome with grief as she gazed on the battered form of her darling, who a few moments previously, was full of life and sunshine. Supt. SULLIVAN and Officers MACKAY, WALTERS, STAPLETON, and BYRNE were quickly there and made an investigation. FITZGERALD was placed under arrest pending a magisterial enquiry. He remained at the police station all night. This morning the enquiry will likely conclude.
Thurs. May 9, 1907
HYMENEAL:Miss Hannah PENNY, of Holyrood, and Mr. Thomas HYNES, of Placentia Junction, were united in matrimony at the latter place, on Saturday, by Rev. W. BATTCOCK. The service was performed at 6 p.m. at the residence of John HENLEY. The bride was attired in a handsome white gown, and was attended by Miss G. HENLEY, while Mr. W. HYNES supported the groom. After the knot was tied, the party repaired to the residence of Mr. Paul HYNES, where supper was served. Dancing was participated in until daylight, the music being furnished by James SNOW, of Clarke's Beach. The bride was the recipient of a large number of presents.
Fri. May 10, 1907
Wed. May 15, 1907
HYMENEAL:CARROLL - VEITCH
On Sunday, April 28th, a pretty wedding took place at St. Thomas's Church, Boston, the contracting parties being W. J. VEITCH and Minnie CARROLL, both of Holyrood. The bride was handsomely gowned in cream satin, with veil to match, and carried a beautiful bouquet of White Pinks. Miss Ellie DUFF, in a pretty dress of blue silk, assisted the bride. The groom was ably supported by his cousin, W. H. VEITCH. After the ceremony, the wedding party repaired to the residence of Mr. VEITCH, brother of the groom, where a sumptuous repast was partaken of. About thirty guests were present, and after spending a most enjoyable evening, the bridal party boarded the train, en route to Bridgewater, where the honeymoon will be spent. The bride is a daughter of James CARROLL, one of Holyrood's popular and enterprising merchants, and the groom the son of George VEITCH, and nephew of the Rt. Rev. Monsignor VEITCH, Conception Harbor. Mr. and Mrs. VEITCH are well and favorably known in Holyrood, and their many friends wish them "bon voyage through life." The "News" extends congratulations also.
Mon. June 3, 1907
On Saturday, the Minister of Justice received a message from Magistrate O'DONNELL, of Bell Island, informing him of a fatal accident which occurred at Nova Scotia Steel Co.'s mine there that morning. Two men, Charles DAY, aged 23, of Old Shop, Trinity Bay, and George CHURCHILL, of Portugal cove, were engaged drilling, when there was a loud explosion, and both men were prostrated by falling debris. DAY being killed instantly. CHURCHILL was more fortunate, and escaped with his life, though he is seriously injured. The cause of the accident was due to their drill coming in contact with an unexploded charge of dynamite. An enquiry will be made into the matter by the proper authorities.
BOY SHOT AT LEWISPORTE An accident, which resulted fatally, took place at Lewisporte on Tuesday last, William HAYSE, with another lad, were playing with a gun, which went off accidentally. Part of the charge entered HAYSE's body below the breast, and he became unconscious. Medical attendance was summoned and all possible was done to save the lad's life, but to no purpose, the charge having entered a vital part of the body. Sergt. COX was sent out on Thursday last, to investigate into the matter, and learned that the discharge of the gun was purely accidental.
TRAGEDY AT LAMALINE
C. C. PITTMAN, J. P., of Lamaline, telegraphed the Minister of Justice on Friday night that three men of the crew of the English schr. Lady St. John, Misson, master, now lying in that port, viz., Ralph HUDSON, John CROSBIE, and John LEMONIER, had been missing from their vessel since Wednesday night, and it is believed they have been drowned in the harbour by the capsizing of their boat. It was intended to put men to work trawling for the bodies on Saturday, but a further message from Mr. PITTMAN that day states that the strong North Easterly wind which was blowing on Friday, still continued, and it was impossible to make any search. It is believed that there is no doubt that the men have been drowned.
Fri. June 7, 1907
At 8:30 last evening, in the presence of a few friends, at her residence, Military Road, Miss Maggie SUMMERS and Mr. Whitford McNEILY were united in matrimony. The bride was daintily gowned in silk and looked charming. She was given away by her uncle, Mr. M. J. SUMMERS. Her sister, Miss Aggie SUMMERS, and Miss Bride SULLIVAN, were bridesmaids, while Mr. W. SUMMERS supported the groom. The ceremony was performed by the Ven. Revs. Dr. WHELAN and Fr. ROACH, and was followed by a sumptuous supper. The groom's presents to the bridesmaids were pearl pendants. The happy couple will remain at the "Balsam" until the Carthaginian is ready for Glasgow. The bride is a popular young lady, and received a valuable assortment of presents. The "News" wishes Mr. and Mrs. McNEILY every happiness.
Mon. June 10, 1907
CAMPBELL - Last evening, Anna Mary (Minnie), wife of Colin R. CAMPBELL, and eldest daughter of Margaret and the late John W. FORAN.
CHARLES - Last night, Robert T. CHARLES, (engineer), son of Thomas and Sarah CHARLES, aged 22 years, after a lingering illness. Funeral notice later.
NOSEWORTHY - Passed peacefully away on Sunday morning at 2:45 o'clock, Captain Levi NOSEWORTHY, aged 61 years. The deceased, who was born in Cupids on February 16th , 1846, leaves a wife and two children to mourn the sad loss of a kind father and affectionate husband. The funeral takes place to-morrow, (Tuesday), at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 230 Hamilton Avenue. Friends and acquaintances please accept this the only intimation. No crepe. Boston papers please copy.
Wed. Tue. June 18, 1907
HYMENEAL:PHILLIPS - CALDWELL
Another pretty June wedding took place at the Congregational Church, at 7 o'clock last evening, the contracting parties being Miss I. CALDWELL and Mr. W. PHILLIPS, of Hon. G. KNOWLING's drapery. The bride wore a beautiful dress of white silk, veil and wreath. She was attended by her sister, in a pretty dress of pink, and Miss Freddie PRIDEAUX, who was attired in cream, while the groom was ably supported by Messrs. EVANS and ROSS. The nuptial knot having been tied by the Pastor Rev. J THACKERAY, a reception was held at the residence of the bride's father. A large number of friends were present, and congratulations were showered on the bride and groom. Both have many friends, and the bride was the recipient of a lengthy list of valuable and useful presents. We extend congratulation to Mr. and Mrs. PHILLIPS, and trust that nothing will mar their future happiness.
KEATING - RYALL
Miss RYALL, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. S. RYALL, Circular Road, and Mr. P. KEATING, formerly of St. John's, but now resident of Texas, were united in the silken bonds of matrimony at St Joseph's Chapel, Cathedral Square, at 5 o'clock last evening, by Ven. Archdeacon O'NEILL. About fifty guests were present to witness the interesting ceremony. The bride looked charming in a dress of white silk, with veil and wreath; she was attended by her cousin, Miss IRVING, who was also handsomely gowned. Little Misses Christabel RYALL and Mary O'REILLY were maids of honor, and Master Charlie RYALL acted as page. The groom was supported by Mr. Peter O'MARA. Leaving the Convent, the party drove around Quidi Vidi Lake and then to Smithville. Supper was served at 6:30, and the health of the bride enthusiastically drunk. A program of dancing and music followed, "and all went merry a marriage bell." At midnight the party dispersed, after wishing the happy couple a long and prosperous life, Mr. and Mrs. KEATING drove to the Balsam, and by this afternoon's express, they leave for New York, to spend a few weeks before proceeding to their future home in Texas. The popularity of the bride and groom was testified to by the magnificent list of presents they received. The "News" joins with other friends in wishing them a bon voyage.
NORRIS - JACKMAN
The pretty Island of Three Arms, N. D. B., was the scene of an interesting wedding, in which our well and favorably known townsman, Mr. W. H. JACKMAN, brother of the Ho. E. M. JACKMAN, united hand and heart with the very popular and accomplished Miss Nelly NORRIS, daughter of James NORRIS, Esq., merchant. The ceremony took place at 2:30 p.m. on Saturday last, 15th inst., and was performed by the Rev. John LYNCH, of the Fortune Harbor and Little Bay Mission. The bride, who was given away by her father, was elegantly costumed in white satin, with regulation veil and orange blossoms. The bridesmaids were Miss B. CONNOLLY, of St. John's, Misses DELOUCHRY and WELLS; the groomsmen, Mr. C. D. SLEATER, of St. John's, and Mr. Bernard NORRIS, brother of the bride. Only the immediate relatives and friends were present. A reception was held at the residence of the bride's parents, when best wishes were heartily expressed for their future happiness. The Rev. J. LYNCH, in a felicitous speech, proposed the health of the bride, to which the groom ably responded. The honeymoon is being spent at Three Arms. Their popularity is evidenced by the large number of rare and costly presents. The groom's present to the bride was a gold crescent brooch, with rubies and pearls, and to the bridesmaids, diamond rings. The happy couple take with them the best wishes of an extended circle of friends and acquaintances, for a long and prosperous life.
Wed. June 19, 1907
LITTLE GIRLS NARROW ESCAPE (See KEATING - RYALL above)
Preparatory to the wedding party leaving Mr. S. RYALL's residence, Circular Road, yesterday afternoon, a large number of ladies and children congregated. Just then, a couple of dogs fell fighting and knocked down a six-year-old girl, named Queenie LACEY, and for several minutes the vicious brutes fought over the child's form. No men were about, and the women and children were too terrified to render assistance . The little one was almost frightened to death, and her cries were heart-rending. Eventually a couple of the bigger lads succeeded in beating the brutes clear, and the tot was picked up with blood streaming from her head and face. She was carried home, and when the gore was washed off, a bruise was found on her temple and two scalp cuts. Fortunately, the dogs did not bite her, the wounds being caused by her head striking the ground. a policeman was summoned, and this morning an effort will be made to have the canines shot. Dr. MACPHERSON was also called. The youngster was fortunate in escaping with such slight injuries, as it might have been worse.
Thur. June 20, 1907
WEDDING BELLSM JACKMAN - GREEN
Another popular young couple united their fortunes at St. Patrick's church, last evening, at 8 o'clock , in the presence of a large number of friends. Rev. Dean RYAN performed the ceremony, which made Miss Annie JACKMAN, daughter of Mr. Philip JACKMAN, and Mr. W. J. GREEN, of Placentia, man and wife. The bride, who was given away by her brother, Mr. T. JACKMAN, of the B. I. S. football team, looked charming. She wore a pretty dress of white crepe merle, with veil and wreath of orange blossoms, and carried an artistically arranged bouquet of Lilies of the Valley. Miss Gertrude WADDEN was bridesmaid, wearing cream crepe de chene, and carrying a bouquet of pink carnations. Little Misses Florence DAWSON and Maggie JACKMAN, niece of the bride, were flower maids, each wearing silk with hats to match. Master J. FOLEY acted as page, while Mr. James JACKMAN ably supported the groom. The ceremony being over, the party drove to Castle Cottage, Freshwater Road, where a reception was held and congratulations showered on the happy pair. A sumptuous supper was then served, followed by music. The groom's present to the bride was a pearl pendant; to the bridesmaid, a gold stickpin, and to the flower girls, pearl rings. The esteem in which Mr. and Mrs. GREEN were held is best shown by the magnificent display of presents they received. The "News" joins with other friends in wishing them a long and prosperous life.
Mon. July 1, 1907
On Saturday was laid to rest all that was mortal of Mrs. Marianne TOUSSAINT, widow of the late John C. TOUSSAINT. This lady and her husband filled a prominent part in the social doings of the old regime of St. John's. Both came to Newfoundland in the early forties and soon thereafter established what was really the first hotel of note in Newfoundland. It became a standard one, and here it was that visitors and tourists of repute made their abode - men of enterprise, like the founders of the New York, Newfoundland, London Telegraph Company, Governors of St. Pierre, en route to their official seats, officers of the English and French warships in port, who met and fraternized here, particularly during the period of the Crimean War; it was over TOUSSAINT's Hotel that the question, when Sabastopal fell and this city was en fete. How should the allied flags be flown- - was solved by a happy thought, we believe, of the late William TOUSSAINT, Mr. and Mrs. TOUSSAINTs' second son, who hoisted the two emblems side by side together on the same flag staff. It was at TOUSSAINT's that the society balls were given by the officers of the garrison; here that the regattas were initiated, and billiard matches played; here that banquets were given, and here that the jeunesse doree smoked, chatted and made merry. Yet amidst all, not a contretemps of any serious kind occurred.
Mr. and Mrs. TOUSSAINT were personal gratoe with all; hospitable, tactful, courteous and witty. Of all the gay throngs who patronized the festal halls of TOUSSAINT's Hotel in those past and gone days, not one was present at yesterday's obsequies - all those of her day and generation had predeceased her. This, indeed, is one of the saddest penalties of old age. The great, wide circle of laughter, buoyant spirits, exhibits gaps. "From Lone's shining circle the gems drop away" year by year; it keeps ever growing more and more narrow, till at last all have departed, save one, and this was Mrs. TOUSSAINT's portion; all her children, except one were dead; but she was comforted, all faculties being bright to the end, by letters from her daughter and grandchildren, who live abroad, and by the companionship of her grandchildren and great-grandchildren - the family of Mr. and Mrs. GIBBS here. Mrs. TOUSSAINT's husband, Jean Charles, was born in Paris, in 1808, and died here in '87. Mrs. TOUSSAINT was born in 1812 and was, we believe, a native of Waterford, Ireland. Both rest in the family plot of the Church of England Cemetery, Quidi Vidi, the burial service of the communion being recited by the Rev. Canon DUNFIELD.
Tues. July 2, 1907
It was an unlooked for announcement, on Friday afternoon, when it was made known that Mrs. Sarah RUTHERFORD, wife of our aged and esteemed townsmen. Mr. Andrew RUTHERFORD, had entered the dark vale of Death, and had passed from it unto Life, at 1:30 p.m. that day. Mrs. RUTHERFORD was 78 years of age, and was ill only a few days, heart trouble seems to have been the cause of her death. Though ailing for several days, and suffering considerable pain at times, her condition was not considered grave by the members of her family, and even when the dread messenger summoned her hence, her daughters did not realize that the end had come. Mrs. RUTHERFORD leaves a husband, two daughters (Mrs. W. WARD and Miss Mary RUTHERFORD), and a circle of numerous friends to mourn an irreparable loss. The deceased lady was the daughter of Mr. Thomas MOORE, of Dildo. She had just completed her 50 years of wedded life, and her friends were hoping that several more years would be added to them. Mrs. RUTHERFORD was widely known for her kindness of heart, her womanly qualities, her charitable disposition, and the deep interest she always took in church work and deeds of mercy. Truly, this was a good woman. Her "Footprints in the sands of Time" will be traced for many years to come, by those who are disposed to follow in her steps. The funeral takes place to-morrow at 4 p.m..
Mr. J. H. DEE, writing from Paradise, last Friday, says: "Last night, 27th inst., in a thick fog, William SULLIVAN's boat ran on the Shooting Rock, Gull Islands, near this place, and was lost with a crew of three men. This morning, his dory was picked up under the land, and some lobster men, who were overhauling their pots, found the boat sunk in eight fathoms of water. The body of SULLIVAN was recovered, but none of the others. The names of the men are: William SULLIVAN, master; Patrick JOHNSTON, and Ambrose BENNETT. They were all married men, belonging to St. Ann's, near Presque. The sad occurrence has cast a sad gloom over the place. Men are searching for the two bodies all day, but so far, have not got a sign of them.
WEDDING BELLS KELLY - BARNES
The R. C. Cathedral Sacristy was the scene of a gay wedding at 6 o'clock last evening, when Mr. James KELLY, bailiff of the magistrates court, and Miss Maggie, daughter of Captain BARNES, were united in the silken bonds of matrimony by Ven. Archdeacon O'NEILL. The bride looked charming in a dress of grey silk, trimmed with Irish lace. She was attended to by Miss Gertie MURPHY, who wore green silk voile, and Miss Katie MURPHY, in cream silk voile, with black picture hats. Little Misses Edna EWING, Stella and Florie BARNES were flower girls, and attractively attired. The groom was supported by Mr. M. COADY. After the ceremony, the party drove to the bride's father's, Dicks Square, where a reception was held. A sumptuous supper was served and thoroughly enjoyed by forty guests. The young couple are well known, and the esteem in which they are held was evidenced by the large number of presents received. The "News" wishes Mr. and Mrs. KELLY many years of wedded happiness.
Tue. July 2, 1907
BIRTHS:EARLE - Yesterday, July 1st., a girl to Mr. and Mrs. A. E. EARLE.
On Monday, July 1st. after a short illness, Henry Robert WILLS, aged 72 years, leaving a wife, three daughters, two sons, one brother, three sisters, and a large circle of friends to mourn their sad loss. Funeral on Wednesday at 2:30 p.m., from his late residence, 51 Lime St. Friends and acquaintances will please attend without further notice. Boston and Montreal papers please copy.
Mr. W. JACKMAN, mailman at Bell Island, was married to Miss Alice Sheean (could they have left out an H-), of Harbor Grace, at Bell Island, on Sunday night. Rev. J. J. McGRATH, P. P., performed the ceremony, which took place at Costigan's Hotel.
Wed. July 3, 1907
FIVE PERSONS SERIOUSLY INJURED IN A RUNAWAY
ST. JOHN'S NURSE IN THE PARTY
Monday's mail brought particulars of a shocking automobile accident at New Hampshire a fortnight ago, in which five persons were seriously injured and had a narrow escape from death. Even when the letter was wrote, a week after the awful mishap, it could not be said that all the injured would recover. One of the victims is Miss Lydia CHURCHILL, a trained nurse, daughter of Mr. Ambrose CHURCHILL, engineer, and sister of Mrs. VALENTINE, of this city. Miss CHURCHILL, who occupied the responsible position of matron and head nurse of the Metcalf Hospital, Wintrop, had been given a vacation, and went on a visit to friends at New Hampshire.
Her holiday was over, and she was returning home, when the accident occurred. In the auto were Dr. METCALF, the head of the institution, his wife, two intimate friends - a Mr. and Mrs. CHASE - and Nurse CHURCHILL. All went well until the machine was going down a steep incline, when the brakes gave out and the car took charge of the driver. The Doctor is an experienced "chauffeur", and did not lose his presence of mind, but was unable to check the car. It dashed down the hill at lightning speed, and, before the occupants had time to think of jumping clear, it ran against a stone wall, several feet high. When the car struck, the occupants were thrown forward with terrible force, and the auto toppled over. The runaway was watched by several persons, but they could render no assistance. The scene at the wreck was enough to make the stoutest heart shudder. The car was broken and bent in pieces, and the party, which a few minutes previously had been a gay one, lay among the ruins, apparently dead. A crowd soon collected and physicians were on hand without delay. All the injured were found unconscious, and were immediately conveyed to the hospital. Examination showed that all were in a bad state. Nurse CHURCHILL, it was found, had five ribs, an arm and her collar bone broken, besides many small bruises about the body. Dr. METCALF's skull was fractured and both wrists broken. Mrs. CHASE's skull was also fractured and her face much disfigured, Mrs. METCALF and Mr. CHASE were both bruised about the head and face, but not as severely as the others. For two or three days they remained at the hospital, where the lives of Miss CHURCHILL, Mrs. CHASE and Dr. METCALF hung on a thread. But by careful attention on the part of the medical men and nurses, they improved sufficiently to be removed to their own hospital. Mrs. CHASE, Nurse CHURCHILL and Dr. METCALF were still on the danger list when the letter was written. The parents and friends of Miss CHURCHILL are in a state of great anxiety, as they fear the next mail will bring worse tidings. Her brother, Bert, who was at Beverly, Mass., was summoned to the bedside of his sister just after the terrible happening, as it was feared that she would not recover. It is possible that the young lady is on the mending hand, as if she were worse, Bert would probably have telegraphed.
Miss CHURCHILL left here six years ago, to train as a nurse. She had a great liking for the calling, and at the end of her course, graduated with honors. Her work was so satisfactory, that when the position of matron of the Metcalf Hospital became vacant, it was offered her, and she accepted. Last summer, she spent her vacation in St. John's. Her many friends will be sorry to hear of her misfortune, and hope she will soon be fully recovered. Dr. METCALF, who is only 38 years of age, is well known throughout the State of Massachusetts. It is thought that should he recover, he will not be able to practice again.
Sat. July 6, 1907
On Thursday night at 10 o'clock, a very sudden death occurred at Carbonear. Mr. William TAYLOR, of Samuel, whose residence at the foot of Harbor Rock Hill, has been closed for some months, left the house of his son-in-law, Mr. Cephias PIKE, for a walk to the Harbor Rock Hill, at about 8 o'clock. Going home, he felt a curious sensation overcoming him, and just in time to remove his coat, when he was taken with a severe attack of vomiting, and in a few minutes died. He was over 70 years of age, and leaves two sons and two daughters, Mrs. Cephias PIKE and Miss Jane TAYLOR, to whom we extend sincere sympathy, in the severity and suddenness of their loss.
Mon. July 8, 1907
SIX-YEAR-OLD JACK MOORE RUN DOWN BY HORSE AND KILLED!
EXPIRES IN HIS FATHER'S ARMS, WITHOUT REGAINING CONSCIOUSNESS!
Saturday, at 4 p.m., little Jack MOORE, the six-year-old son of Conductor MOORE, of the R. N. Co.'s railway, was accidentally killed near his own home, the tragedy being almost witnessed by his parents. The lad was playing in the street, near the Mill Lane, Water St. West, when a horse, with a box cart attached, driven by Patrick FLYNN, going east, knocked him down, and one of the wheels passed over the body. A scream from a passer-by attracted FLYNN's attention, and the horse was reined in almost immediately. Some witnesses to the accident tenderly removed the child, while the driver ran to Mr. KENT's store, and telephoned for a doctor. In the meantime, young MOORE's father appeared on the scene, and taking his little son in his arms, took him home. The child was unconscious when picked up, but there were no signs of any serious injury, not the slightest scratch being noticeable on his person. At the home, all possible was done, until Dr. SCULLY arrived. The latter, after an examination, held out no hope, and at 4:30, the bright, smiling pet of the household, who an hour before, was playing with other smiling children, was playing with the angels around the great white throne, - he having died in his father's arms at that hour, - and a heart-broken mother and father were left to mourn. As far as can be gathered, the happening occurred without the driver having had any knowledge of the child being near. Deceased was playing with a hoop, and was crossing the street, when the horse came along. FLYNN, it is said, was driving slowly, and had turned round to wish goo day to a friend. In the few seconds that his occupied, the little boy is supposed to have got under the wheels. When the accident did occur, FLYNN showed himself a humorous man, and, with much presence of mind, hastened to secure medical assistance. The police were also called, and Head Constable COLLINS was soon an the scene. He assisted Dr. SCULLY in the examination, and when the injured died, he immediately placed FLYNN - who was present in the house - under arrest. The prisoner was much affected, and though submitting quietly to the law, felt his position keenly. He was taken to the police station in a street car, and upon arrival there, almost collapsed from heart failure, from which he suffers. "Head" COLLINS helped to calm his fears, however, and after an hour or so, he recovered his normal condition. The horse was owned by Mr. C. W. H. TESSIER, who, hearing that FLYNN had been placed under arrest, came to the police station and offered bail. Inspector General McCOWEN was telephoned, and also Judge CONROY, and after a short preliminary examination, the prisoner was allowed out on bail, to appear, this morning. The unfortunate lad's body, when undressed, was free from any bruise or cut, except for a slight scratch, on the left leg; and not a drop of blood came from the injuries, which were evidently internal. The neck was broken however, and from this, death resulted. Mr. and Mrs. MOORE are naturally overwhelmed with grief, particularly Mrs. MOORE, who became prostrated when told that her little darling was dead. And who would not, to see their cheerful, bright-eyed six-year-old son, an hour before the joy of the home, still in death, and a promising life ended by such a terrible tragedy. The accident is all the more sad, occurring within a few yards of his home, and almost in the presence of his father. General and sincere sympathy will go out to Mr. and Mrs. MOORE in their sad hour of trial, in which the "News" joins. The magisterial enquiry will be held this afternoon.
Sat. July 20, 1907
THE DEDICATION CEREMONY
On Sunday evening, the following Masonic brethren, representing the District Grand Lodge of Newfoundland, viz., Hon. J. A. CLIFT, Messrs. S. G. COLLIER, J. R. BENNETT, W. BARKER, S. D. BLANDFORD, W. N. GRAY, P. F. LeMESSURIER, W. J. EDGAR, and J. S. CURRIE left here by express for Lewisporte, where they joined the Clyde for Twillingate, in order to participate in the dedication of the Masonic Temple on Tuesday morning. The city brethren had a very pleasant trip down, the weather keeping fine until about half an hour before their destination was reached when it began to rain. At the pier, they were met by the brethren of Twillingate and taken to the office of Mr. W. J. SCOTT, J. P., afterwards being escorted to the homes which had been provided for them.
Next day was set down for the dedication, and in honour of the event, a general holiday had been proclaimed. Flags flew from many of the business houses, private residences, and the Masonic hall. In the meantime, it had been discovered that there was a further ceremony to be performed - the laying of the corner stone of the building. It is of very rare occurrence that the laying of a corner stone and the dedication of the entire building take place the same day; but at the commencement of the building operations, conditions were such that the brethren of Twillingate were unable to lay the stone with the prescribed ceremony, so went on with the construction - which they could very well do, the building being of wood.
At 10 o'clock sharp, the delegation from the Grand Lodge arrived at the building, and completed arrangements for the performance of the two ceremonies and Twillingate Lodge having been opened in usual form in the meantime, they were admitted, and Bro. the Hon. J. A. CLIFT, District Grand Secretary, who had been commissioned by the District Grand Master, Sir W. V. WHITEWAY, to act as his deputy, immediately took charge and proceeded with the business of the day. The first work was to attend to the laying of the corner stone, and with pretty and effective ceremony, this was duly done, according to ancient form and customs. Owing to the uncertainty of the hour, there were not very many spectators present, but those whose good fortune it was to be there, witnessed a scene they will not speedily forget. The Grand Lodge members, in all the glory of their full dress regalia, and the Twillingate brethren in their pretty and more simple working regalia, made an attractive picture indeed. The stone rested on a firm concrete base, and within this was placed an interesting record prepared by Bro. W. J. SCOTT, J. P., P. M., of Twillingate Lodge. This record contained the names of the officers of the Grand Lodge of England, the officers of the District Grand Lodge of Newfoundland, the present officers of Twillingate Lodge, its charter members, Past Masters now living, withdrawn and dead, and its membership, other Masonic Lodges in the country; the names of the Governor, Premier, and leading clergy of the Colony, the Judges of the Supreme Court, Magistrates and Justices of the Peace, and clergymen of Twillingate; newspapers and magazines printed in the Colony, coins of the Colony, and names of the Grand Lodge deputation attending the laying of the stone. The record is a most interesting one. From it may be noticed the fact that the present Worshipful Master of Twillingate Lodge, Bro. Andrew GRAY, was its first Master when it was instituted in October 1889. With him as officers to-day are; Bro. Silas FACEY, I. P. M.; Bro. A. G. ASHBOURNE, S. W.; Bro. A. H. HODGE, J. W.; Bro. W. J. SCOTT, J. P., Chaplain; Bro. Head Constable - PATTEN, Treasurer; Bro. C. D. MAYNE, Secretary; Bro. N. GRAY, S. D.; Bro. E. MANUEL, J. D.; Bros. Capt. D. WHELLOR and R. SMALL, Stewards; Bro. John COOK, I. G.; and Bro. Thomas H. SCOTT, Tyler. As stated above, the Lodge was organized in 1889, its first officers being, W. M., Bro. Andrew GRAY; S. W., Bro. Andrew LINFIELD (died in 1900); J. W., Bro. Wm. Jno. SCOTT (still residing at Twillingate); Chaplain, Rev. Theodore NURSE, (died in 1905); Treasurer, Rev. R. W. FREEMAN, (now pastor of Alexander Street church, this city); Secretary, Bro. Samuel W. BAIRD (died in 1899); I. G., Bro. Alan FINDLATER (now residing at St. John's, and an officer of Tasker Lodge, this city). Bro. FINDLATER was fortunately able to be at Twillingate on Tuesday, and take part in the proceedings);Tyler, Bro. Jabes P. THOMPSON (now Magistrate of Brigus). Of the original officers, it will thus be seen that only two now reside in Twillingate, Bro. GRAY and SCOTT, and both are officers of the lodge to-day.
The stone, which was the gift of Bro. J. McINTYRE, P. M., of Tasker Lodge, this city, being duly placed in position, the brethren re-entered the building, where the ceremony was duly performed by Bro. CLIFT in a most capable and efficient manner, assisted by the brethren of the Grand Lodge. During the carrying out of the programme, Bro. CLIFT delivered a very excellent and impressive address on the tenets and principals of Freemasonry. His conduct of the ceremony throughout earned him encomiums of the highest order, and warm congratulations. The expression from every person present was that Bro. CLIFT had very ably filled the place of the venerable Grand Old Man of Masonry in Newfoundland, the Right Hon. Sir W. V. WHITEWAY. Many and warm-hearted were the expressions of brotherly feeling and devotion to Sir William, and it was greatly regretted that he was unable to be present for reasons which time has all to soon made known. When it was learned in Twillingate that Sir William has been called upon to mourn the loss of another dear son, there will be real and profound sorrow, especially among his brother Masons. It is not often that one has the pleasure of listening to such whole-hearted remarks expressive of great regard as that uttered in connection with Sir William WHITEWAY at Twillingate Tuesday. He is indeed a beloved prince and ruler in the Israel of Freemasonry. We sorrow with him in his bereavement and pray that the great Architect of the Universe will be his comfort and support in this hour of great trial.
The new temple just dedicated at Twillingate is one of the finest in the country. It is commodious, two storeyed building, with tower, handsomely fitted and furnished. The upper storey is used as the meeting room, and for this it is admirably suited. Much care and attention have been given to its decoration, and it reflects great credit indeed upon the building committee and workmen. The arched ceiling and the sides are done in metal of a very pretty design, containing the emblems of the order, and being nicely and effectively painted, add to the beauty of the hall. The lower room is not quite completed, though it is expected to be finished within a short while. In this room, lunch was served after the dedicatory service, during the partaking of which the following toast list was honoured: -
Thus concluded a splendid and interesting ceremony, one which will be remembered for many years to come. it is impossible to pass on without referring to the catering at the lunch, which it is understood was attended to by the good wife and daughters of one of the principal officers of the Lodge. It was perfect in every way, one of the finest spreads ever laid in this country. The good lady and her daughters who did this work in a labor of love, deserve and are hereby tendered the heartiest congratulations.
The brethren of Twillingate were determined that nothing should be left undone to make the day a famous one, long to be remembered with pleasure by the visiting delegation, as well as by themselves, and so they had arranged a programme for the entire day. In the afternoon, it was intended to have a picnic on the grounds of Bro. J. D. LOCKYER, J. P., but this had to be regretfully dispensed with owing to the inclemency of the weather and the rather damp condition of the grass. However, the picnic was not declared off by any means. If first arrangements could not be carried out, then others should be made, and so it was speedily agreed that the picnic should take place in the hall, which was quickly cleared and made ready for the occasion. There, games of various kinds were indulged in, and a happy time spent by all, until the summons of the ladies called all to eat. After another feast of good things, the games were renewed and kept up till a late hour. During the evening, a short impromptu entertainment was given, to which Mrs. (Dr.) LeDREW and Bro. BARKER contributed several recitations, and Bro. BENNETT and COLLIER, songs, all of which were received with enthusiasm. Believing that the visitors would enjoy a little social dance, the Court House had been engaged by a committee and thither in the waning hours of the night, one after another wended their way, and enjoyed the light fantastic till the wee small hours, when the Lodge delegates had to bid farewell to the many kind friends they had met during the visit, which was all too short, and join the Clyde which left shortly after 3 o'clock for Lewisporte, to the strains of "Auld Lang Syne," from friends aboard and ashore.
Tuesday last marks an epoch in the Masonry in Twillingate, and the occasion of the visit of the members of the Grand Lodge will be remembered for many years. The entire proceedings of the day were most happily carried out, and the ceremony in the morning, the social gatherings in the evening and night will leave impressions not soon forgotten, Friendships were made which the ravages of time will never efface, while Masons from the northern town and the city, will continue to rejoice in the grand Order to which they belong, an Order which, above all, teaches the true meaning of brotherly love. The members of Twillingate Lodge are to be congratulated on the results of their labour as shown by their beautiful new hall, which, it is hoped, will remain for many years a credit to their zeal and energy, and an adornment to their progressive town.
By express Thursday afternoon, the St. John's delegates returned home, and one and all spoke with great fervour of the happy and pleasant time which they had spent. The good people of Twillingate seem to have succeeded in making them thoroughly at home, and in giving them a jolly good time.
Thur. July 25, 1907
A Pretty wedding took place at the Sacred Heart Rectory, at Fall River, Mass., on June 6, when Miss Ella RYAN and Mr. W. H. WILLIAMS were united in marriage by the Rev. Tather McCABE. The bride was neatly gowned in white silk, trimmed with lace, and wore a white hat with ostrich plume. Her bridesmaid was Miss Mamie ROGAN, and Mr. Thomas J. RYAN was best man. The happy couple left by train for Boston, where the honeymoon was spent.
MACDONALD - MACGREGOR
A very pretty wedding took place at St. Thomas's Church at 7 o'clock yesterday morning, when Miss Bessie MACDONALD, sister of Mr. R. G. MACDONALD, and Mr. E. J. MACGREGOR, of the Postal Department, were made man and wife, the ceremony being performed by Rev. Canon DUNFIELD. The bride was attired in a handsome travelling dress, and was attended by Miss G. HUTCHINGS, while Mr. Peter WILLIAMS performed the duties of best man. Mr. R. G. MACDONALD, brother of the bride, acted as father-giver. Only the immediate friends of the bride and groom were present. After the ceremony, the party drove to the residence of Mr. R. G. MACDONALD, Colonial St., where the wedding breakfast was served, after which the couple drove to Waterford Bridge, and there boarded the 8:45 train for Avondale, where the honeymoon will be spent. The presents received by the bride were numerous and costly. The "News" wishes Mr. and Mrs. MACGREGOR many years of wedded happiness.
Sat. July 27, 1907
On Thursday evening, at the S. A. Citadel, an interesting wedding ceremony was conducted by Lieut. Col. REES, when Capt. Ethel Esther LeDREW was united in matrimony to Capt. Isaac CAVENDER. Capt. LeDREW, whose home is in the city, has been a successful officer and school teacher for a number of years, and Capt. CAVENDER, who is a native of Fortune, has commanded a good many corps in the Canadian field, returning to five of them for a second term. The ceremony was conducted in the first part of the meeting, after which the bridegroom sang a solo and spoke; the bride then gave a short address. The bride and groom were ably supported by Ensign MERCER and Capt. BIGELOW; each one spoke, congratulating the happy couple, wishing them God speed and every success. Adjt. SMITH sang a solo, "Joy Bells;" Major MORRIS and Capt. WISEMAN addressed the meeting, the whole proceedings being enlivened by the music of the drum and fife and united brass bands. Capt CAVENDER will give a short address at the Citadel, Sunday afternoon. Adjt. SMITH's subject in the evening will be: "A Life for a Look." All are welcome.
Any monetary or commercial gain from using this material is strictly prohibited and subject to legal action.
Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.
© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)
You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.