Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

Evening Telegram
Archived Obituaries and Tid Bits
1921 to 1930


Wedding Bells
Source: The Evening Advocate, February 22, 1921, Page 3

"A very pretty and interesting wedding occurred at Gower Street Church Saturday morning, when Mr. Harold Tilley of Kelligrews united his fortunes to those of Miss Mary Rideout, of Long Pond. The nuptial knot was tied by the Rev. E. W. Forbes the pastor and several of the friends of the happy couple were present. The groom is highly respected and popular resident of Kelligrews, and the bride is one of the charming daughters of Long Pond whose friends are legion in that section of Conception Bay, the Groom being the son of Mr. and Mrs. Jonathan Tilley and the bride the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. James Rideout. After the ceremony both repaired to the residence of Miss Snow, "Laird House" where a reception was held after which they left for their future home at Long Pond. To both the Advocate extends hearty congratulations."
Transcribed by Ron Dawe from The Evening Advocate, February 22, 1921, Page 3.

One Hundred Years Old
Source: The Evening Advocate, April 27, 1921, p. 6.

Mrs. Jane Benson at Gooseberry Cove Celebrates Her 100th Birthday

Congratulations to Her

Gooseberry Cove April 1st 1921. (To the Editor.)

Dear Sir, - Will you please permit me space in your valuable columns to insert the following which is about an old lady who is now at the ripe old age of 100 years, whose name is Mrs. Jane Benson, widow of David Benson, Hillview. She was born at Grates Cove in the year of 1821 and was the daughter of George and Mary Cooper. Her mother died when she was three 3 years old. She then went to live with her Aunt. When she was 14 years old she went housekeeper for her father and three brothers. She lived with them until she was 21 years old, then she was married to Mr. David Benson.

She is the mother of ten children, seven sons and three daughters, she also adopted three others, two girls and one boy, namely, Mary Benson who was married to Mr. Ambrose (?)ewer, Susanna Cooper who married Mr. Thomas Churchill late of Hillview, Random, T. Bay, and Mr. Eli Frost, who died out in Spain, during the great war. All her own children are dead except her youngest daughter, Lydia, who is married to Mr. William H. Seward Sr., of Gooseberry Cove, Random, T. B., with whom she has lived this past 28 years.

All her children were married except two, one son who died at the age of 8 months and another son at the age of 27 years. She is the grand-mother of 38 grand-children and great grand mother of 60.

For 47 years she lived at grates Cove with her family, then she re-moved to Northern Bight, now renamed Hillview, and her family was the first inhabitants of the above named place, where she lived 25 years. Her husband died ten years before she left Hillview to come to live with her daughter, Mrs. Seward. She was 100 years old on the 15th of March, 1921, and is now able to get up and dress and walk down stairs without any assistance, and can take up her youngest great grand child and feed him.

It would do one good to hear her tell of her experiences in Grates Cove and elsewhere. Of all the hardships that she has gone through she has it well and comfortable now in her old days because her daughter has done all in her power to make her so. Before finishing this I would like to say that most all her grand-children have been good to her including three who are now residing at Brooklyn, New York, namely, Mrs. Rev. Kenneth Richards nee Miss Laura Maud Benson, and her brother Allan G. G. Benson, who was Customs Officers at Clarenville for quite a time past, and Hudson Benson, who is living with his sister, also others residing at Hillview and (?)outhport (?), T. Bay.

Trusting to see this inserted in your valuable columns and thanking you for space.

I remain, L. S. S.

Transcribed by Ron Dawe from The Evening Advocate, April 27, 1921, p. 6.

OBITUARY (Source: The Evening Advocate, April 11, 1921, p. 5)
Charles Scott

There passed into the Great Beyond on Wednesday, March 30th, one of the most respected citizens in the person of Mr. Charles Scott. He was a man who was admired and loved by all for his cheerful and kind disposition. Always foremost in all church work, he will be greatly missed by all, and his place will not be easily filled. He suffered with patience and truly his sufferings were great. He was taken to the hospital, but nothing could be done to help him. He was laid to rest in the C. of E. Cemetery on April 1st, the service being conducted by the Rev. Mr. Facey. He leaves behind him a son and a daughter, three sisters and two brothers to mourn their sad loss. "Father in Thy gracious keeping Leave me now Thy servant sleeping." "E. M. Upper Gullies"
Transcribed by Ron Dawe, October 21, 2001.
Source: The Evening Advocate, April 11, 1921, p. 5.

OBITUARY (Source: The Evening Advocate, March 10, 1921, Page 6)
Edward Kennedy

(To the Editor)
Dear Sir, - Allow me space in your valuable paper to record the death of a dear friend on Saturday, February the 19th. Edward Kennedy, of Foxtrap, Dunn's Hill, aged 36, went in the woods to cut some boughs accompanied by a little boy by the name of Frank Jones, 9 years old. After they got in the woods they cut a few boughs and when he went to haul them to the path he sat down. When he got up to go to haul more boughs he fell to the ground and never spoke after. The boy went and called some friends that were cutting boughs and they brought him home. The clergy and policeman were sent for and after examination the body was prepared for burial. Deceased was a member of the S.U.F. and also a member of the L.O.A. No. 181. He was also a black knight. On Sunday the body was laid to rest at Foxtrap by the Rev. Mr. Facey, followed by the members of the S.U.F. and the L.O.A. After the church service was gone through at the graveside, the societies performed their services in accordance with their ritual. He leaves to mourn a wife, mother, 4 sisters and one brother. To the sorrowing relatives we extend our sympathy.
Wm. Jas. Butler
Foxtrap, Feb., 26, 1921
Transcribed by Ron Dawe
Source: The Evening Advocate, March 10, 1921, Page 6

OBITUARY (Source: The Evening Advocate, April 11, 1921, Page 8)
Mr. William Anthony

On Tuesday last death claimed a venerable and generally esteemed resident of Kelligrews in the person of Mr. William Anthony, who was widely known along the whole extent of the District of Harbour Main. The late Mr. Anthony had passed his 74th year and his passing terminated a life that had been one of eminent industriousness, exemplary living and unfailing good deeds. He came from a stock who knew how to bear both reverses and successes alike with equanimity. Owing to an affliction in 1915, he had to have a leg amputated and since that time he had suffered considerably, but notwithstanding his years and the terrible inconvenience to which he must have been subjected, he bore it all with a patience and recognition that bespoke the greatness of the spirit that had enabled the deceased to win the good will and admiration of all who knew him. Left to mourn are four sons and two daughters, one of whom is the wife of R. Hibbs, Esq., M.H.A., went out on Thursday to attend the funeral. Interment was in Hopewell Cemetery. Deceased was predeceased by his wife 3 years ago. To the surviving members of the family The Advocate tenders its deepest sympathy.
Transcribed by Ron Dawe, February 3, 2001
Source: The Evening Advocate, April 11, 1921, Page 8

Capt. Henry Dawe

The death of Capt. Henry Dawe at Bay Roberts on Saturday last, after an illness of years has removed from the scene of human life a worthy and well-known man. Capt. Dawe was a famed seal-killer, and had commanded some of the largest steamers at that industry. In 1873(?), when some twenty-two years of age he was in charge of the brigt. Escort from this port. The S.S. Mastiff, Greenland, Arctic, Ranger and Adventure were in his charge in succession. About 1908 failing health forced him to give up his calling, and since that time he has moved about his native town, calmly considering his impaired condition of health. Those who knew Capt. Dawe respected him for his manly bearing and worth, especially those who braved the dangers of the sea with him, and won therefrom the fruits of their toil. As a sealing master, he was not only considerate of his men but exercised the greatest care and forethought on their behalf. His passing away in a year beyond the allotted span of a man's life is regretted by the community. Capt. Dawe is survived by his wife, two sons and eight daughters, namely, Messrs. Stephen Dawe of the cable staff, Bay Roberts, and Augustus Dawe in Canada; Mrs. R. Dawe, St. John's, Mrs. Edward Dawe, Bay Roberts, Mrs. (Rev.) Wright, in England, Mrs. John Dawe, Bay Roberts, Mrs. White, St. John's, Mrs. W. D. Ford, Heart's Content, Mrs. Godden, St. John's, and Miss Winnie Dawe, Bay Roberts. The old friends of Captain Dawe in this town join with the many friends of the family in sympathy on the breaking of the ties that bound the head with the household.

Transcripted by Ron Dawe on January 28, 2003.
Source: The Evening Advocate, January 7, 1922, Page 7.

Had Leg Crushed (Source: The Evening Advocate, March 23, 1922, page 8)

Eli Dawe, employed on the steam shovel at Seal Cove, had his leg badly crushed while at work there yesterday, and will be incapacitated for some months. While working in the pit, a huge stone was loosened and fell on his leg. The injured man was brought to town on a special train when he was ordered to hospital. It was thought that an operation would be necessary.
Transcribed by Ron Dawe, February 2001
Source: The Evening Advocate, March 23, 1922, page 8

Charles Haines (1847-1923)
Source: The Evening Advocate, January 10, 1923, Page 6.

An old an respected resident of Kelligrews in the person of Charles Haines, passed to his eternal rest on Saturday last, at the age of 76, after an illness of about three months borne with great Christian resignation and fortified by the valued services of his Church. The Rev. H. Facey, B.A., ministered to him with great attention while his people did all that patient care could bestow upon a fond father and husband to comfort him in his declining days.

The late Charles Haines was a model of industry, having built up a good home and farm in Middle Bight and a prosperous lumber business on Topsail Road and Salmonier as a result of his integrity. In his earlier days he had been a master-watch at the sealfishery in the old S. S. Esquimaux, and was of the good old stock of pioneer builders of Newfoundland, first as one of the leading foreman or bosses in the construction of a main branch road in Hr. Main District, and of the old railway from St. John's to Hr. Grace and, later, in construction of bridges, etc. on the cross country lines. He will be remembered also with great respect by many who recall his bravery in several thrilling adventures at the seal fishery, when he was the means of saving precious lives, particularly when in the Gull Island incident he risked his life in procuring food from land for his brother sealers in distress stranded on a rock-bound shore. Never was he afraid to face the tempest when duty called, and this great courage remained with him as he waited calmly for the call of duty in another sphere, where sorrows are unknown.

The funeral took place yesterday at the Church of All Saints, Foxtrap, and was largely attended, the service being very impressive, conducted by the Rev. H. Facey. The L. O. A. of which the deceased had been a master for years, paraded to honor a brother who was revered by all who knew him, one who had always raised a helping hand to those in need, and who will be remembered as a man of stirling worth, an adviser and leader of men and an example to the younger generation in energy, persistency, industry and good will towards everyone.

He leaves, to morn a good husband and father, a faithful wife who will miss him most; one son, Edward; two daughters, Mrs. B. Dawe, and Mrs. J. Rideout; many grandchildren and a large circle of friends. The Advocate joins in expressing sincerest sympathy to each and all in their loss, sustained by the death of such an esteemed citizen.

Note: It appears that Mrs. B. Dawe above may have been Maude Haines (1885-1944) who married Benjamin Dawe (1883-1975) of Long Pond. Mrs. J. Rideout may have been Martha Haines (1884-1957) who married Job Rideout (1879-1965) of Long Pond. If anyone can confirm these connections please email me at

Transcribed by Ron Dawe - Source: The Evening Advocate, January 10, 1923, Page 6.

Source: The Evening Advocate, January 23, 1923, Page 6.

Passed peacefully away on January 15th, at 5:30 a.m., after a long and tedious illness, Frances Dawe, leaving mother and sister at Topsail, C. B., and one brother at Bell Island to mourn their sad loss of a loving sister and daughter. Her place made vacant in her home, which never can be filled.
Transcribed by Ron Dawe, March 18, 2001.
Source: The Evening Advocate, January 23, 1923, Page 6.



Page Contributed and Transcribed by Ron Dawe
Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (February 15, 2003)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]