Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

Evening Telegram
Archived Obituaries and Tid Bits
1900 to 1910


Wedding at Kelligrews
(Source: The Evening Telegram, April 12, 1910, Page 5)

"The wedding of Mr. Leo Nugent and Miss Rachael Craig, of Kelligrews, was solemnized at the R. C. Church there by Rev. Father Coady on Low Monday. The bride was dressed in a beautiful costume of navy blue lustre with hat to match. Mr. James Nugent was best man. Miss Maggie Farrell attended the bride and looked pretty in a pale blue blouse, etc. The presents were many and useful, testifying to the popularity of the bride and groom, who are members of the leading families of Kelligrews. The bride is a niece of the late Mrs. Walsh of Kelligrews, who kept the hostler and had so many friends in the city. After the wedding .... dancing was begun ....morning. The Telegram .... congratulations to the .... pair."
Transcribed by Ron Dawe
Source: The Evening Telegram, April 12, 1910, Page 5

In Memoriam
(Source: The Evening Telegram, April 15, 1910, Page 7)
Miss M. J. Dawe

To Editor - Evening Telegram
Dear Sir - A death which has caused universal sorrow visited the home of Mr. and Mrs. Benjamin Dawe, on Friday morning and removed their only daughter, Mary Jane, aged 25 years.She was ill but two weeks, the cause of death being internal hemorrhage. Great sympathy is felt for Mr. and Mrs. Dawe in their bereavement. Maimy as she was familiarly called, was a good and affectionate daughter, possessing a bright and pleasing disposition which had won her a host of friends. She bravely bore her affliction with Christian fortitude, and being fully resigned to God's will her end was all a true Christian could desire. Her last hours was a fitting terminal to a life of obedience and fidelity, as with Divine inspiration she pleads with her sorrowing parents and brother, imploring them not to weep for her, but to prepare to meet her in heaven. She was quite conscious to the last, and with a happy smile upon her face she passed peacefully away at one o;clock on Friday morning.Interment took place at Hopewell Cemetery, on Sunday afternoon, when an unusually large number of friends paid their last token of respect to all that was mortal of poor Maimy
Lower Gullies, April 13
Transcribed by Ron Dawe, January 28, 2001

Wedding Bells

Sunday last at Holyrood, C.B., Mr. Richard Walsh, a well known and respected resident of that place, led to the alter Miss Mary Wall, also an esteemed resident of that town. The ceremony was performed by Rev. C. Battcock. After the nuptial knot was tied a large number of their friends were entertained at the residence of the newly wedded pair and spent a very pleasant time. Both were the recipients of many handsome presents.
As printed in The Evening Telegram, April 21, 1910, page 4.
Transcribed by Ron Dawe.

Found Dead In Bed (The Evening Telegram, April 29, 1910, Page 6)

By last night's shore train we learn of a sad affair which occurred at Upper Gullies yesterday. Mr. Charles Ledrew, brother of the late Abraham Ledrew of Kelligrews, has been living alone for several years past in a little house in the Gullies and had been unwell for some little time past. Yesterday, however, Rev. Mr. Nurse, the Methodist clergyman at Topsail, went up to visit the man, and entering his humble domicile was appalled to find the poor old man lying dead on his bed. The clergyman reported the occurrence to Mr. Furneaux, J. P., who looked after the remains, and will see to their interment. The man had not been seen about for two days, and it is believed that he was dead for that length of time when discovered. Deceased lived for many years in St. John, was well known here, and was 65 years old. His family are residing in the States.
Transcribed by Ron Dawe
The Evening Telegram, April 29, 1910, Page 6

Narrowly Escaped Drowning
Source: The Evening Telegram, May 9, 1910, Page 6.

"As Mr. John Dawe, son of Capt. A. Dawe, of Bay Roberts, was out for a boat sail on Saturday afternoon, he narrowly escaped losing his life, and for a long while after rescue was unconscious, and is still pretty ill. The wind blew in fitful gusts; the ballast was not properly arranged in her and when one heavy squall struck the sail she went over so far that the sprays coming in filled the boat and she sank under Dawe in 15 fathoms of water almost before he could realize what had happened. The man was left struggling in the water, but fortunately some oars floated away from the boat as she went down, and came so near Mr. Dawe that he was able to grasp them, and these floated him. A man named French, of Coley's Point, witnessed the accident and jumped into a boat and rowed with might and main to the rescue. He was just in the nick of time, for Dawe when he reached him was unconscious and was holding mechanically. Getting him into his boat, French, with great presence of mind, got Dawe across his knees and succeeded in making him vomit large quantities of water, which he had swallowed. He then rowed him ashore and Drs. Pritchard and Atkinson succeeded after much trouble in resuscitating Mr. Dawe. An effort will be made to get the boat from the bottom."
Source: The Evening Telegram, May 9, 1910, Page 6.

The Body Identified

This morning James Fry and John Hibbs of Portugal Cove, on coming to the city visited the morgue and identified the body as that of John Bussey, of Fox Trap. He often visited Portugal Cove as he kept company with a young woman there, and he came over from Bell Island where he worked all the summer, yesterday morning. Constables Fagan and Devine who knew the man also identified him. The deceased was a customer of Mr. W. P. Shortall's, and at 3:30 p.m. yesterday was at his store and purchased a coat from him. He said while there that he was going to Fox Trap, where his home is, by the evening train. This morning at the morgue Dr. Randell made an examination of the body. A magisterial enquiry into his death was also held in the court house when John Richards, who found the body, was examined. Joseph Bussey a brother of the deceased, who worked with him on Bell Island, came to the city by train to-day and identified the body. Joseph did not know his brother's fate until a friend in Fox Trap read it for him out of this morning's News. He then broke the news to his parents. The deceased was in his 23rd year. The body will likely be brought home by the evening's train.
Transcribed by Ron Dawe, February 24, 2003
Source: The Evening Telegram, Dec. 20, 1910, p. 4.

Body Sent Home

Yesterday afternoon the remains of the poor fellow Bussey who was killed while going out on Monday evening's train, were coffined by the undertaker J. T. Martin and were taken out by yesterday's express to be interred at Kelligrews. The deceased who was in his 23rd year, and leaves a father, mother and three brothers to mourn him. The man must have been killed very quickly. The coat which he wore and which was perfectly new was torn into shreds. A strange circumstance about the tragedy was that the watch which he carried in his pocket did not receive the slightest damage.
Source: The Evening Telegram, December 21, 1910, p. 4.
Transcribed by Ron Dawe, February 24, 2003



Page Contributed and Transcribed by Ron Dawe
Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (February 28, 2003)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]