Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Guardian



Bay Roberts Guardian 1932
C. E. Russell Proprietor
MF 5148

Some pages in the original contain flaws and other defects, which appear on the film.

Friday, January 1, 1932

Died December 11th, 1931, Olga Belle, darling child of George T. and Dorcas SNOW, aged 2 months and 5 days.

Passed peacefully away at St. John's, December 26th, Emma Dawe DOYLE, widow of the late Edward Doyle, Registrar General, aged 76 years. Funeral took place Dec. 29th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Friday, January 8, 1932

Died at Spaniard's Bay, Jan. 7th, Emily GOSSE, widow of the late Jacob Gosse, aged 85 years. Leaving to mourn their loss, one son Jesse Josiah at Springfield, Mass., and Mrs. Eliol Yetman at Spaniard's Bay. Funeral takes place Jan. 9th.

Mr. Walter SHEPPARD, of Hr. Grace, son of the late Wm. Henry Sheppard, passed away at Montreal, Dec. 22nd after a long illness, aged 46 years. Some years ago he prosecuted the fishery at Flat Islands, Labrador. Mr. Sheppard leaves to mourn their loss a wife, formerly Miss Bertha Martin, and five brothers.

Died at the home of his son, Arthur, Bay Roberts West, on January 7th, Jacob ROACH, aged 72 years. Funeral takes place on Saturday.

Died Jan. 7th after a short illness, Solomon SHEPPARD, formerly of Hr. Grace, aged 76 years. Leaving to mourn a wife, one son and one daughter.

Friday, January 15, 1932

The friends of Mr. & Mrs. Fred McCORMICK of Church Ave., Fairville, will regret to learn of the death of their son, Wm. McCormick of Lynn, Mass., who died Dec. 14th in Deaconess Hospital, Brookline, Mass., where he had undergone a serious operation. The young man was 27 years of age and had been a pupil at Fairville Superior School. He had resided in Lynn for several years. Besides his parents, he is survived by his wife, formerly Miss Annie SNOW (daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Edward Snow, Coley's Pt., Nfld.), three children, William and Barbara, twins, and Jackie, all of Lynn, one brother Charles McCormick, West St. John and three sisters, Miss Eileen, Boston, Mrs. Jasper Cameron, West St. John, and Miss Bessie, Fairville. Mr. & Mrs. Fred McCormick left on Sunday for Brookline in response to a telegram advising them of the serious illness of their son. His death occurred however before they reached Brookline. The body will be brought to Fairville for burial. - Fairville, N. B.

A. NOLAN, son of Capt. Dick Nolan of the schooner Eva M.D. of Marystown, was washed overboard on Tuesday whilst the schooner was crossing Placentia Bay. The captain was swept from the wheel by the same wave but escaped drowning by grabbing the main sheet.

Cyril J. CAHILL, Barrister & Solicitor and Manager for Newfoundland of the Crown Life Insurance Co., was arrested last Friday morning and charged with forging the signature of Robert ALSOP, a Commissioner of the Supreme Court of Newfoundland in attestation of an affidavit in proof of a certain mortgage with intent to deceive. He was released on bail for the sum of $60,000.

The engagement is announced in a recent issue of the Montreal Daily Star of Gladys Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. J. MALLETT, of Montreal to Victor Alexander, son of Mr. & Mrs. Isaac PARSONS, of this town.

Friday, January 29, 1932

Mr. Arthur ASHBOURNE, of Twillingate, died suddenly January 18th. Mr. Ashbourne had left his office the usual lunch hour and walked to his home, which is about a mile from the business place and passed away a few minutes after reaching the house. The name of Arthur Ashbourne was well known in the mercantile business of the East Coast. He was an active partner in the firm of Wm. Ashbourne, his brother, who predeceased him a few years ago. The business was later reorganized and carried on in the name of Ashbournes' Ltd. in which Arthur continued his activities as partner. Mr. Thomas Ashbourne, former M.H.A. for Twillingate district is a nephew of the deceased, who is survived by a widow and four children.

The death of Mr. Chesley MANUEL occurred at Exploits on Tuesday after only a weeks' illness, suffering from heart trouble. Deceased was 53 years of age. He is survived by a widow and three children. Lady Crosbie is a sister.

A very pretty wedding took place at St. Mark's Church of England, Shearstown, Jan. 13th, when Miss Mary A. TITFORD, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. John Titford, Shearstown and Mr. Charlie PARSONS, son of Mr. & Mrs. Charlie Parsons of Coley's Pt., were united in the Holy Bonds of matrimony. Miss Jessie Mercer, cousin of the bride, and Mr. W.J. Titford, brother of the bride stood as bridesboy and bridesgirl. Mr. John Titford, father of the bride acted as best man, Miss Doris Titford, cousin of the bride and Mr. A. Thompson of Coley's Pt. acted as bridesmaid and bridesboy respectively for the groom.

Mr. & Mrs. Karl TRAPNELL, of Corner Brook, wish to announce the engagement of their daughter, Ruth, to Thomas CHALKER, son of Mr. & Mrs. James Chalker, of St. John's, Nfld.

Died at St. John's General Hospital, Wednesday night, Abram SNOW, aged 85 years.

Died January 27th, Sarah, beloved wife of Walter REID, aged 55 years. Leaving a husband, two sons, three daughters, one brother and one sister to mourn their loss.

Peter HISCOCK of St. John's was found guilty of perjury on Monday last and sentenced to 12 months imprisonment and his wife Gladys Hiscock was found guilty of the same charge on Tuesday and sentenced to 9 months imprisonment.

Died at Shearstown, Jan. 27th, after a long illness, Isaac SPARKES, ex-Lighthouse Keeper, aged 72 yrs. Leaving a wife, one son, George, two daughters, Mrs. Harvey Dawe, and Mrs. Arthur Earle, to mourn their loss. Funeral today.

Friday, February 5, 1932

Mrs. Wm. CARSON, of Hr. Grace, passed away on Friday last, at the age of 88 yrs.

John FORWARD, aged 55, of Carbonear, married, dropped dead whilst in the country for firewood.

Mrs. Mary (Aunt Polly) DAWE of the Neck Road, Coley's Pt., was paralysed Monday morning last, her condition is not serious.

The death of Mr. Frank P. BEMISTER, of Carbonear, occurred at his home on Saturday last, aged 70 years. A week before his death he accidentally burnt his fingers, from which blood poisoning set in, resulting in his death.

Died at Coley's Point South, January 26th, after a brief illness, Marcella, beloved wife of John ROACH, (daughter of Mrs. & the late Wm. BUTLER, of Clarke's Beach), aged 27 yrs. Leaving to mourn husband, infant daughter, mother and one brother. Funeral took place to the S.A. Citadel and cemetery, Jan. 28th.

Friday, February 12, 1932

Obituary - About 5 o'clock on Tuesday morning, the 2nd inst., the angel of death visited the home of John and Rhoda BOWERING, Coley's Pt., and snatched away their second oldest daughter, Ruby, at the age of 15 years. She had been living with her uncle and aunt, Thomas and Mrs. Bowering at Bay Roberts for about a month and although she had not been feeling well for some little time, it did not appear that her illness was serious, as she did not give up to her bed. But a few days ago her relatives started to get anxious about her and Monday afternoon her father and mother came over with horse and sleigh and took her home, thinking that after she got home and rested a while she would get better, but in this they were disappointed, for she rapidly got worse and passed out at the time above mentioned, about 15 hours after arriving home. She was laid to rest in the U. C. cemetery at Coley's Point on the 4th inst.

Capt. John FOWLOW, of Trinity East, passed away suddenly February 1st, aged 77 yrs.

Friday, February 19, 1932

The passing of Mrs. Emma CAMERON, beloved wife of Mr. Hugh Cameron, J.P., occurred at Carbonear on Sunday last, February 14th. Mrs. Cameron had been feeling unwell for a few days, but on Saturday her condition became serious and the end came almost unexpectedly and as a great shock. She was the daughter of the late Wm. GUY, a devoted wife and mother. Besides her husband, six sons survive, Sandy in Atholl, Mass., Wm. and Malcolm, of Cameron Brothers, and Allen of Tucker & Co., at home, Duncan, Superintendent of the Western Union Telegraph co., Bay Roberts, and Donald of the United Towns Electrical Co., St. John's. Four sisters also survive, Mrs. Walter Tucker in Everett, Mass., Mrs. Mira Peace, at Brooklyn, N.Y., Mrs. Fannie Joyce, at Montreal, and Mrs. Hedley Taylor of St. John's. Funeral took place at Carbonear on Tuesday.

Passed peacefully away at Hr. Grace, Tuesday evening, Clara, wife of T.G. FORD, H.M. Customs. Funeral Friday.

Died at Brigus, February 14th, Edith SPRACKLIN, widow of the late Thomas Spracklin, leaving two sons, Gordon and Cyril in N.S., and four daughters, Elsie in Toronto, Maisie and Lizzie in Vancouver, Aggie at home. Funeral took place on Tuesday to the U.C. cemetery.

A quiet wedding took place January 28th, at the home of Rev. Clarence S. Roddy, Pastor of First Baptist Church, Portland, Maine, when Miss Helen F. WATSON, of Yarmouth, Me., became the bride of James S. MERCER, of Portland. Miss Marion A. Watson was the bride's attendant, while Mr. Albert Mercer, brother of the groom was best man. Mr. Mercer is employed at the Portland Country Club and Mr. & Mrs. Mercer will reside at Falmouth Foreside. The groom, Mr. Jas. Samuel Mercer, referred to above, is the son of Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Mercer (of Samuel) of this town. Mr. Mercer is well known here, being a former member of the C.L.B.

Mrs. Richard BRADBURY, of Crane's Brook, went to the hospital by Tuesday evening's train. She is suffering from diabetes.

Born February 1st to Mr. & Mrs. Wm. J. MOORE (nee Mildred EARLE), at Chelsea Memorial Hospital, Chelsea, Mass., a daughter.

Passed peacefully away at St. John's February 7th, Alice Gertrude, beloved wife of Baxter PARSONS, 158 Pleasant Street. Leaving husband, one daughter and two sons.

Friday, February 26, 1932

Married at St. Paul's Cathedral, Buffalo, N.Y. on December 31st, 1931, by the Very Rev. Whitney Hale, Dean, Alice Ruby, only daughter of Mr. & Mrs. J. C. PIPPY, St. John's, to Francis Colley, youngest son of Mr. & Mrs. James WILCOX, Heart's Content.

Born to Mr. & Mrs. Isaac DAWE, Long Beach Pond, on Feb. 19th, a son. Mother and baby doing well.

On Wednesday morning, Feb.10th, Mrs. SKANES, wife of Mr. Ralph Skanes, who lives at the rear of the Miner Office, Bell Island, had a very narrow escape from being burnt to death. She was in the kitchen dressing one of her children in front of the store, when her dress accidentally caught fire. Mrs. Skanes was alone at the time with the exception of two children. The elder of whom, Harris, is only 6 years of age. She sent him to call for help, in the meantime, she succeeded in beating out the flames, but in so doing, had both hands badly burnt, and was also seared around other parts of the body. On arrival of her mother, who lives at the West Mines, Dr. Giovannetti was called who did all he could to relieve the woman's suffering. - Bell Island Miner

Passed peacefully away at St. John's, February 23rd, after a lingering illness, Rachel, beloved wife of Isaac C. MORRIS, aged 64 years.

Friday, March 4, 1932

Passed peacefully away, February 28th, Rebecca, aged 58 years, beloved wife of W.T. STRICKLAND, leaving to mourn husband, two daughters and five grandchildren. Funeral took place on Tuesday from her late residence, Spaniard's Bay.

Obituary - Once again the grim reaper has put in his sickle and taken from our midst one of our most respected citizens in the person of Isaac SPARKES, at the age of 72 years. He had been in failing health for some time, but the final summons came to him Wednesday, Jan. 27th. Although his illness caused him great pain, yet he was never heard to murmur or complain, and through all his sufferings he had great faith in God whom he served for a number of years. Left to mourn his passing are a sorrowing wife, one son, George, at home, two daughters, Mrs. Arthur Earle, Shearstown, and Mrs. Harvey Dawe, Coley's Point; one brother, Mr. Ebenezer Sparkes, and one sister, Mrs. John Holmes, both of Shearstown, also a number of grandchildren. The funeral took place from his residence, Shearstown, Jan. 29th. The funeral service was conducted in the United Church, Shearstown.

Tuesday, March 11, 1932

On Monday, March 7th, Mr. William PARSONS, of this town, celebrated the 83rd anniversary of his birth. A party was given Monday night at his residence, which was attended, by a number of his friends. Mr. Parsons is still hale and hearty and bears his advancing years well.

The body of the late Mrs. John SNOW, who died at West Haven, Conn., will be brought here for internment. Mr. Snow will accompany the corpse here.

Mr. & Mrs. W. COATES, who arrived at Upper Gullies from the U.S., recently, are now on a visit to Mr. & Mrs. W.H. Littlejohns, Coley's Point. Prior to her marriage, Mrs. Coates was Miss Emmie TIPPETT.

Friday, March 18, 1932

Died, March 18th, Anastasia, relict of the late Edward RYAN, aged 78 years. Leaving two sons, Franklin in USA and Richard, marconi operator, S.S. Imogene, and one daughter, Mrs. J.G. Joy, of this town. Funeral on March 20th.

Friday, March 26, 1932

Died at Bay Roberts East, March 19th, Ethel, beloved wife of Richard BRADBURY, aged 30 years. Left to mourn are a husband, four children, and two stepchildren. Funeral took place March 21st to the C of E cemetery.

Died at Buffalo, N.Y., March 20th, Charlie, son of the late Thomas S. and Caroline CALPIN, of Bay Roberts. Leaving a wife (nee Mamie ELLIS of Buffalo), and two sons, Ellis and Charlie, also three sisters, Mrs. R.S. Mercer, Mrs. R.W. Myers of Bay Roberts and Miss Isabel of St. John's.

Died March 20th at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. Harvey Dawe, Coley's Point, Mary Jane, widow of the late Isaac SPARKES, aged 68 years. Leaving one son, George, at Shearstown and two daughters, Mrs. Arthur Earle, Shearstown, and Mrs. Harvey Dawe to mourn their sad loss. Funeral took place March 22nd to the S.A. Citadel and cemetery.

Friday, April 1, 1932

Jeremiah H. DEE, well known by many of our readers when he was an official in the Dept. of Marine & Fisheries passed away at his home in St. John's, March 30th, after a short illness, aged 73 years.

Death came suddenly to Mayor HOWLETT, of St. John's, March 31st. He had been suffering for some time from kidney trouble, but not withstanding this, he was very active in his official capacity as the mayor of St. John's. During his tenure of office since December 1929, he gave ungrudgingly of his time and experience to what he believed to be the best interests of the city, and the results accomplished were well known to every citizen. It was because of his public activities that his life was shortened and his passing will be sincerely regretted by a large number of people.

Mr. Alex A. PARSONS, ex-editor of the Evening Telegram and ex-superintendent of H.M. Penitentiary passed away this morning at the General Hospital at St. John's. He was a native of Hr. Grace, aged 84 years.

Just as we go to press we learn that Mr. William KEARLEY passed away at the General Hospital, St. John's. Funeral April 4th.

Passed peacefully away at St. John's, March 25th, Andres A. DELGADO, aged 84 years.

Friday, April 8, 1932

Passed peacefully away, April 6th, at Lynn, Mass., after a tedious illness, Violet Patience, beloved daughter of Sarah Grace and the late Samuel DAWE of Coley's Point. Leaving to mourn besides a large circle of friends, mother, three sisters, Fannie and Grace in U.S.A., and Agnes, at home; and three brothers William R. and Samuel of the Nfld. Light & Power Co., St. John's, and Allan at home. Funeral notice later.

The funeral of the late William KEARLEY who passed away at the General Hospital, Saturday morning last, took place April 4th on arrival of the noon train from St. John's. The late Mr. Kearley was 70 years of age and is survived by his wife (nee Mary Hudson) and one sister, Mrs. Albert Russell, Cambridge, Mass. He was a prominent member of the Salvation Army for many years. His death was the result of injuries sustained when he fell on the ice near his home some time ago. After a period of home treatment he was taken to the General Hospital where he died as above noted.

Friday, April 15, 1932

Died at Shearstown, April 14th, Eliza DWYER, widow of the late Peter Dwyer, aged 78 years. Leaving two sons, John at Grand Falls, George at Shearstown, and two daughters, Mrs. Edward Badcock and Mrs. Stephen Earle, both of Shearstown, one brother, Thomas Hedderson, and one sister, Mrs. Charles Hood, to mourn their great loss. Funeral takes place April 16th.

Friday, July 1, 1932

Died at Spaniard's Bay, June 29th, John REID aged 74 years, son of John and the late Mary A. Reid of Upper Island Cove. Leaving a wife, four sons, John and Kenneth in U.S.A., Harrison and George at Spaniard's Bay, one daughter Mrs. W.C. Hutchings, Spaniard's Bay, two sisters Mrs. T. Adams at Upper Island Cove and Mrs. R. Adey at St. John's to mourn their loss.

Friday, July 8, 1932

A baby was born on board the Fort St. George on her last trip down from New York to St. John's, the mother is Mrs. Mary COLLANDER of Perry's Cove, Bay de Verde.

Mrs. W.A. TRASK arrived here by Monday's express from Grand Falls on a month's visit to her parents Mrs. & Mrs. Geo. North.

Died at Spaniard's Bay, July 3rd, Thomas RYAN, aged 36 years, beloved son of Edward and Ellen Ryan, leaving a father, mother, one sister Mrs. Richard Finn, Spaniard's Bay, to mourn their great loss. Funeral took place to the R.C. cemetery at Spaniard's Bay Tuesday morning.

Friday, July 15, 1932

On July 7th, at St. George's Church, beautifully decorated at old historic Brigus, was the scene of one of the prettiest weddings in recent years when Miss Clara Prowse JERRETT, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. C. A. Jerrett became the bride of Mr. Walter E. PIPPY of St. John's, son of Mrs. Ellen and the late Thomas Pippy. The bride was given in marriage by her father, the bridesmaids being the misses Marion and Ruth Jerrett, the groom was supported by Mr. James Bartlett, while Mr. Ernest Jerrett, brother of the bride and Mr. Eric Jerrett, a cousin, acted as ushers. At the organ was Mrs. Wm. Noseworthy of Clarke's Beach. The Rev. Canon Bolt and the Rev. Mr. Butler were the officiating clergymen. A reception was held at Benville where the usual toasts were honoured, the newlyweds leave by The Silvia for a honeymoon trip to Canada.

Miss Isabel COBB, head nurse at the Southcott Hospital, St. John's, was united in the holy bonds of matrimony at the C. of E. Church at Salmon Cove by the Rev. W.A. Butler on June 25th to Mr. Harry B. PAYN of the Western Union Cable Co. of Bay Roberts and son of Mr. & Mrs. E.A. Payn of Carbonear.

Passed peacefully away at Coley's Point, July 1st, after an illness of four months, Isaac, beloved husband of Annie GOOSNEY, and only surviving son of the late Robert and Anna Goosney, at the age of 60 years. Deceased was born at Coley's Point and when a young man went to Alberta, Canada and worked at Crow's Nest Pass, later moving to British Columbia. He returned to Coley's Point in 1917 and had since engaged in farming etc. Left to mourn his passing are a wife and adopted daughter Olive and an aged father in law. Funeral took place July 3rd to the C. of E. cemetery.

Mrs. Walter SQUIRE - During the early hours of July 8th, death came suddenly to Mrs. Walter Squire at her home at Bell Island when her family entered her room it was found that she had passed away in her sleep. The deceased who was 48 years old and wife of Mr. Walter Squire, a well-known businessman on Bell Island, was Miss Minnie Bennett before her marriage. She leaves to mourn besides her husband, two sons, Frank and James, one daughter, Stella, three sisters, Mrs. J. R. Butler of Wabana, Mrs. William Anderson of Manitoba, and Miss Lydia Bennett of St. Alban's, Long Island, U.S.A., and one brother Mr. John H. Bennett, J.P., of Bell Island. Funeral took place July 9th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Mrs. Irving HALL and little daughter, and Mrs. Joseph McLEAN arrived from Boston last week on a visit to their parents Mr. & Mrs. Peter KEEFE, Coley's Point.

Mrs. Caroline DAWE of Coley's Point who has been on an extended visit to her daughter Mrs. W. J. Wills of Detroit, Michigan arrived home last week.

Mrs. Albert RALPH and two sons arrived from Boston last week on a visit to her mother Mrs. Samuel Dawe, Coley's Point.

Friday, July 22, 1932

Ishmael THORNE, aged 21, of Long Cove, Trinity Bay, got tangled in a net while swimming on Wednesday and drowned. The body was recovered.

Frederick RANDELL, aged 19 years, of Port Rexton, T.B., was drowned while swimming at that place on Sunday last.

The body of the late W. A. ELLIS, retired prominent grocer of St. John's, who while visiting England for medical treatment died suddenly, has been cremated. The ashes enclosed in a glass urn are being brought to St. John's for burial. The late Mr. Ellis was a prominent mason and DDGM of the Grand Lodge of England in Newfoundland.

Walter HARRIS, seven-year-old son of Garfield Harris is missing from his home, New Chelsea, T.B. since July 13. In the afternoon of that day he was seen by the seashore and sometime later his fishing tackle was picked up, searchers failed to find any trace of the lad.

Mrs. Fred MERCER and daughter, Dorothy arrived from Dorchester, Mass. recently on an extended visit to Mrs. Mercer's parents Mr. & Mrs. Isaac MORGAN, Coley's Point.

Issues missing: July 29 and August 5.

Friday, August 12, 1932

Michael, the four-year-old son of Leander and Mrs. Drover of Bay Bulls Arm was drowned last week, when he fell over a stage near his home.

Three young women, Esther MULLOWNEY, aged 25, Mary NORRIS, aged 33, and Monica DALEY, aged 24 were drowned while bathing at Hell Hill Pond near Witless Bay on Sunday afternoon last. None of them could swim and wading out into the pond they suddenly came to an overfall and began to sink. They screamed for help and three men who were distant about 200 yards fishing, hearing the cries for help ran to their assistance, and being good swimmers they rescued two of the young women before they sank, and brought them to the bank. One of the men dived and got the body of the third woman from the bottom of the pond. Resuscitation methods were used but the spark of life had fled. The names of the three men who made the heroic attempt at rescue were Messers. Mike and Ray Manning, brothers, and Charlie Gamberg all of St. John's.

Friday, August 19, 1932

A sad fatality occurred in the harbour of St. John's on Monday last, August 15th, when John Charles TUFF, aged 33 years accidentally fell in the water from a motorboat alongside a salt steamer and was drowned. It appears that the man, who employed by the AE Hickman Co. Ltd., went out to the steamer in a motorboat to bring some workmen ashore to go to their dinner. Tuff was asked by someone on deck to move the motorboat as a schooner was coming along side for salt. He immediately went down the ladder and got in the boat and while in the act of pushing the motorboat off he overbalanced himself and fell in the water. He came to the surface only once and before any assistance could be rendered him, he was drowned. The body was recovered shortly afterwards. When the news of his drowning was conveyed to his wife, it was learned that she was making preparations to celebrate their little daughters birthday which occurred on the day the husband and father was drowned. Deceased leaves a wife and two children to mourn their loss. He was a native of Newtown, B.B., and the remains were taken there by the S.S. Comb for internment.

Thursday morning James QUIGLY, aged 40 years, of Dick's Square, St. John's was found drowned in the waters of the harbour near Harvey & Co.'s premises. He was a cooper by trade, and worked with Harvey & Co. Early Thursday morning a man's hat and coat was found on the wharf by Mr. Mills, foreman of No.1 pier, this gave rise to the fear that an accident had occurred. The police were notified and dragging operations were begun. Shortly before ten o'clock the body was brought to the surface. Deceased leaves a wife and six children.

A man named Gerald O'BRIEN, 48 years old, who was taken to the police station at St. John's for safe keeping, passed away shortly afterwards. The guard at the station discovered that he was very ill and immediately summoned the doctor, but nothing could be done to save the man's life. He leaves a wife and nine children.

Passed away August 17th at Upper Island Cove, Mary Jane REID, widow of the late Thomas ADAMS, and fourth daughter of the late John and Mary A. Reid, of Upper Island Cove, Harbour Grace district, in her 80th year. Leaving to mourn one son, John, of Upper Island Cove and one sister, Mrs. R.R. Adey, of St. John's.

Died at the residence of his son, Eli French, St. John's, August 13th, after a lingering illness, William FRENCH of French's Cove, Bay Roberts, aged 83 years. Leaving a wife, three sons, one brother and two sisters to mourn their loss. Funeral took place to the United Church cemetery, Bay Roberts, after the arrival of the train on Monday, August 15th.

Mr. & Mrs. Benjamin LEAR, arrived from Vancouver, B.C. on Monday, August 8th, on a visit to Mr. Lear's sisters, Mrs. Isaac Snow of this town and Mrs. J.B. Mugford, Port de Grave. This is Mr. Lear's first visit to the homeland during an absence of 27 years.

Friday, August 26, 1932

Robert HOLLETT of Hamilton Street, St. John's, was struck by the rail coach running from the station to Bowering Park. He was employed by Lesters, Carthee Co. He was sitting on a long cart on his way to Mount Pearl for a load of hay. At a crossing two motorcars obstructed his view and crossing the track he was hit by the coach, which was backing into St. John's. The conductor and engineer being at the rear of the coach, the coach struck the cart just where Mr. Hollett was sitting, breaking his leg and doing other bodily injuries. He was taken to the hospital but his injuries were so serious that he passed away after a few hours.

Mrs. Elizabeth PARSONS arrived from Prince Rupert, B.C. on Saturday last to reside with her daughter Mrs. W. Stanley Bradbury, Coley's Point. Mrs. Parsons has been living in Prince Rupert, Vancouver, B.C. for a number of years.

Mrs. George C. CHALKER of Brigus celebrated her 84th birthday at the Georgetown, summer residence of her son Mr. James Chalker, councillor of St. John's on Wednesday, August 24th, she was surrounded by her five children, many grandchildren, and friends from Conception Bay and St. John's. Mayor Carnell of St. John's on behalf of the gathering offered congratulations to Mrs. Chalker in a neat and pleasing speech after which refreshments were served.

Mrs. Grace DAWE arrived from Boston on Thursday to see her foster mother, Mrs. Edward SNOW, who was seriously ill and who passed away shortly after Mrs. Dawe's arrival.

Lunenburg, August 15th - The death sentence of Naaman SMITH, 22 year old slayer of his uncle Lemuel Smith has been commuted to life term in Dorchester Penitentiary.

Died August 25th, Elizabeth SNOW, wife of Edward Snow (of Jonathon), age 55 years. Leaving a husband and one adopted daughter, Mrs. Grace Dawe, one brother Mr. John Gray, Coley's Point and two sisters, Mrs. James Mercer, Country Road and Mrs. E. Vaters, St. John's to mourn their sad loss. Funeral takes place August 27th.

Died suddenly August 25th at his residence, Crane's Brook, Nathan RUSSELL, son of George and Elizabeth Russell, aged 38 years. Leaving a wife, two children, father, mother and two sisters to mourn their sad loss. Funeral takes place August 28th.

Friday, September 2, 1932

Died at Coley's Point, September 2nd, Sylvia Elizabeth, darling child of William and Ethel ROACH, aged 5 months.

Died at Shearstown, August 31st, George F. HOLMES, aged 65 years, leaving two sons and one daughter to mourn their loss. Funeral took place September 2nd.

Passed away at Wesleyville, September 1st, W. D. SAINSBURY, leaving to mourn three sons, Graham at home, Wilfred, wireless operator at Resolution Island and Lieut. Heber at Seattle, U.S.A., three brothers Edward at home, Samuel in Toronto and Major Martin Sainsbury at Seattle, four sisters, Major R. Sainsbury of St. John's, Mrs. Major Earle at Halifax, Mrs. Job Blackwood at Safe Harbour, and Mrs. Louisa Winsor, Wesleyville.

Friday, September 9, 1932

Joilette, Quebec - Four year old Paul LEMARCHE, was dragged to his death by a cow after his older brother had tied him to the animals tail, it was revealed to a coroner's inquest. After securing his brother to the cow's tail, the older LeMarche scared the animal and Paul was instantly killed.

W.J. HINCHEY, a native of Northern Bay, Nfld. has been elected mayor of New Waterford, Cape Breton.

Died at French's Cove, September 8th, after a long illness, George BADCOCK. Funeral September 10th.

Died at Coley's Point, September 9th, Ethel FRENCH, beloved wife of John J. French. Funeral September 11th.

Passed away at Bareneed, September 6th, Verna Mary, aged 3 years, beloved child of E. and Winnie GREENLAND. Funeral took place Thursday.

Died at Bay Roberts, September 4th, Naomi, beloved wife of James S. SNOW, and daughter of the late Isaac and Anastasia Mercer, aged 38 years. Left to mourn their sad loss are a husband, three children, Max, Phyllis and Marion, two brothers, Albert and Donald Mercer of this town, and two sisters, Mrs. Kitty Carivan, Vancouver, B.C. and Mrs. Capt. Jas. Dawe, Coley's Point. Funeral took place September 6th to St. Matthew's Church and cemetery.
(e-mail received from Harry Mercer states: "The above orginal notice might have had a typo. The name should be CARAVAN.")


Friday, September 16, 1932

Obituary - Hon. George SHEA, MLC, died at his residence in St. John's, Tuesday morning last, in his 82nd year. Deceased was the son of the late Hon. E.D. Shea and a nephew of the late Sir Ambrose Shea, who one time represented the district of Harbour Grace, and subsequently became Governor of Bahamas. He was once a prominent member of the Bond government, in later years he was identified with the Squires administration and on several occasions was acting Prime Minister when Sir Richard Squires was absent from the colony.

William ROSNEK, aged 29 and his wife Joyce Roberts, aged 18, who were secretly married on May 24th, 1932, committed suicide together when they shot themselves in their heads at Table Head near Glace Bay.

Obituary - Passed peacefully away at Coley's Point, September 8th, after a brief illness, Ethel, beloved wife of John J. FRENCH and daughter of the late Edward and Jemima Sparkes, aged 49 years. Left to mourn the sad loss of a loving wife and mother are a husband, five children, Evelyn at St. John's, Alice, Stella, Lucy and Jimmie at home, also two brothers, William and Alfred Sparkes, Bay Roberts East, and three sisters, Mrs. Zelah Snow, Bay Roberts, Mrs. John Greenland, Coley's Point, and Mrs. Alfred Mercer, Boston, Mass. Funeral took place September 11th to St. John the Evangelist Church and cemetery, Coley's Point.

Thursday, September 8th, St. Peter's Church at Hopewell was the scene of a very pretty wedding, when Ruth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Karl TRAPNELL, Corner Brook, was united in the bonds of holy matrimony to Thomas R., son of Mr. and Mrs. J.R. CHALKER, St. John's, by the Rev. H. Whitehouse. The bride was attended by the groom's sister, Miss Sybil Chalker, and the duties of best man were ably carried out by Mr. E. Hiscock. During the ceremony the bride's father sang "Because" accompanied by Mrs. Walter Pippy on the organ. Immediately afterwards the bride and groom, with their relatives and friends were the guests of the Rev. H. Whitehouse at the parsonage, where the toast to the bride was proposed and to which the groom responded. The party then left for Mount Pearl where a reception was held at the country residence of Mr. and Mrs. Gus Lester, relatives of the bride, where the usual toasts were duly honoured. The happy couple then motored to Georgetown where the honeymoon will be spent.

Died at Bay Roberts, September 12th after a short illness, Mary, beloved wife of Frank MOORE, aged 53 years. Leaving to mourn their sad loss a husband, one son, Philip, three daughters, Mary, Bridget and Annie, two brothers, Jeffrey Dawson of this town and Jas. Dawson of Gambo, and three sisters, Mrs. Michael Godsell and Mrs. Ed Cleary of this town, and Mrs. Daniel Connolly, North River. Funeral took place to the R. C. church and cemetery, September 14th.

Friday, September 23, 1932

Obituary for Mrs. Frank R. MOORE - Death, the destroyer of humanity paid a visit to Bay Roberts, September 12th, and claimed as its victim Mary, beloved wife of Capt. Frank R. Moore. Deceased was a very genial hostess, pleasant and entertaining on all occasions. Deceased was the second daughter of the late George and Bridget Dawson and leaves to mourn a husband, three daughters, Mary, Bridget, Annie, one son Philip, all at home.

The marriage took place at Wesley United Church on September 7th of Bertha, daughter of Mr. M. HAMPTON of St. John's and Stephen Llewellyn, son of Mr. and Mrs. J.J. DAY, also of St. John's. The bride and groom left shortly after for Placentia where the honeymoon will be spent.

Mrs. E. J. HEDGES who with her son, Howard, was visiting her daughter, Mrs. J. Ploughman, Coley's Point, is now visiting relatives at Carbonear. They will visit St. John's and Coley's Point again before returning to Grand Falls. Howard is hoping to do some partridge shooting before returning to the "Paper Town".

Died at Coley's Point, September 23rd, John FRENCH, aged 84 yrs., leaving two daughters, Mrs. Stephen Greenland, and Mrs. Annie Goosney to mourn their loss.

Died at Black Duck Pond, September 23rd, Sarah Jane, beloved wife of William DAWE, aged 60 years, leaving a husband, two sons, William Dawe at home, and Robert at Boston, and one daughter Mrs. Lloyd Mercer at Boston, two brothers, Isaac Parsons and Jonathon Parsons, and two sisters Mrs. Harry N. Mercer and Mrs. William French to mourn their sad loss.

Born September 20th to Mr. & Mrs. James G. BAGGS, a daughter.

Joyce ROBERTS and her lover William ROZNEK thought to have committed suicide recently at Glace Bay are now reported to have been murdered.

Friday, September 30, 1932

September 15th, Robert F. BABCOCK, eldest son of Leander and the late Hattie Babcock of Allston, Mass., was united in marriage to Miss Winnie NICHOLSON, of Prince Edward Island. The marriage ceremony was performed by the Rev. Richard Badcock, pastor of the Pentecostal Tabernacle at Cambridge, uncle of the groom. The groom was born in Allston and educated in the public school of that city, graduating from the Brighton High School in the class of 1923 and Northeastern University in 1926.

Died at Coley's Point, September 24th, William Thomas BATTEN, aged 68 years. Leaving to mourn one son Harvey at Boston and one daughter, Mrs. George White, Bay Roberts. Funeral took place to the C. of E. cemetery on Sunday.

Died at Shearstown, September 24th, Jane, beloved wife of Richard EARLE, aged 67 years. Leaving a husband and one son, William John, to mourn their loss. Funeral took place Sept. 26th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Friday, October 7, 1932

Mr. John MERCER, youngest son of the late Ananias and Johanna Mecer, of Shearstown, accompanied by his wife and five children, arrived home from Kirkland Lake, Ont. on Sept. 23rd, after an absence of 25 years. Leaving Newfoundland in 1908 he went to Boston and from there to the western states and thence to Canada. At the outbreak of the war he enlisted in the Fort Garry Horse with the Canadians and saw service at Gallipoli in France. After the Armistice was declared he spent 8 months in Germany returning to Canada and after demobilization, Mr. Mercer enlisted with the North West Mounted Police and served with them until about three months ago. He proposes spending a few months here, the guest of his sister, Mrs. James Dwyer at Shearstown.

Died October 4th, Fanny, widow of the late Captain John KELLY, aged 78 years. Leaving one son Arthur and two daughters, Mrs. John Sparkes and Mrs. William Carivan, one sister, Mrs. Mary Snow, one step-brother, Mr. William Brown and one step-sister, Mrs. James Baggs to mourn their sad loss. Funeral took place to the C. of E. Church and cemetery, Coley's Point, October 6th.

On Saturday, October 1st, in the eventide of life, the call came to Henry SNOW, and he closed his eyes on this earth till he opened them in the "land that is fairer than day." Deceased had reached the ripe old age of 88 years, "Uncle Henry", as he was generally known, was of a gentle disposition. Left to mourn their sad loss are his widow, one son, Albert James who recently returned from Boston, six daughters, Mrs. Esau Mercer, Brigus Rd., Mrs. Frank Wells and Mrs. John Bishop, Bay Roberts, Mrs. Pleamon Thorne, Trinity Bay, Mrs. George Squires and Mrs. Elizah Anstey, both of Corner Brook, 31 grandchildren and 14 great grandchildren. Funeral took place October 3rd to the C. of E. cemetery.

Married on 3rd October at the Cathedral of St. John the Baptist by Canon George Henry Bolt, MA, DCL, Joan, the daughter of Albert J. BAYLY and the late Mrs. Bayly to Frederick J., son of Samuel and Mrs. TIZZARD, both of St. John's.

Died at Carbonear, October 5th, Hilda G., eldest daughter of Rueben A. and Mary Jane RUSSELL, of this town, aged 18 years and 10 months. Leaving to mourn their sad loss, father, mother, four brothers and two sisters. Funeral took place today to the C. of E. cemetery, Coley's Point.

Friday, October 14, 1932

Died at Country Road, Bay Roberts, October 11th, after an illness of two months, William BRADBURY, aged 79 years, leaving a wife, one son, Bert Bradbury and one daughter, Mrs. John B. Dawe, of Dawe's Head, two brothers, Stephen, of St. John's and Samuel of Country Rd., one sister, Mrs. William Mercer, Mercer's Cove, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral took place to the C. of E. cemetery, Coley's Point, Oct. 13th.

Mrs. Joyce ROZNEK, who with her husband, was found dead at Glace Bay recently, is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Roberts, formerly of Twillingate. Mr. Roberts is the son of the late Thomas Roberts, and his mother lives at Wild Cove. The coroner's jury has found that the victims of what was first thought to be suicide were victims of murder and an investigation is being held into the case. The bullet was fired by a third party and evidently went through the man's head after passing through his wife's shoulder. Who the murderer is will be the work of crown officials to locate, but it is said that Joyce, who was recently married had been acquainted with some other before taking up with William Roznek. - Twillingate Sun.

Friday, October 21, 1932

Passed peacefully away at Country Rd., Bay Roberts, October 11th, one of its oldest and most respected citizens in the person of William BRADBURY. Born at Country Rd., March 2nd, 1853, the son of Stephen and Elizabeth Bradbury, he was one of that class of men that are fast going out. For the greater part of his life he prosecuted the fishery in its different branches. He first went to the seal fishery with Capt. Mark Delaney in the sealing vessel the Bradalbert that was in what is referred to now as the "good old days". Then he sailed with Capt. Charles Dawe, Capt. Henry Dawe and Capt. Isaac Mercer, all those men have passed out and we have had no one to fill their places. "Uncle Will", as he was familiarly known by that name, was a type of good citizen, kind and generous with all in came in contact and a loyal churchman. He leaves to mourn his passing a wife, one son, one daughter, two brothers, one sister and several grandchildren. He is gone from those he loves but we believe he's taken to that fuller and higher life. To the bereaved family we extend our heartfelt sympathy. "Now the labourers task is o'er; now the battle day is past; now upon the farther shore Lands the voyager at last. Father in thy gracious keeping leave we now thy servant sleeping."

One of the worst assault cases known in Corner Brook took place Sunday night last, the victim Miss Phoebe MARTIN, housemaid at the home of Mrs. Albert Berkshire, Humbermouth Rd., was walking home between 9:30 and 10:00 pm., when she was accosted by a married man, also a resident of Humbermouth Rd. It is reported that she was dragged into the woods, gagged and brutally assaulted, as a result of her injuries she was confined to her bed for three days and was attended by Dr. Fisher. On Wednesday night, Consts. Brown and Guy arrested a suspect and he was later identified by the girl as being the man who had assaulted her. Yesterday afternoon a preliminary inquiry was held and two witnesses including the doctor were examined. The enquiry was adjourned until this morning, the defendant is, in the meantime, held at the jail here. Miss Martin is a stranger in Corner Brook and came here to work on August 10th. Humber Herald

Married on Wednesday, October 11th at the church of St. John the Evangelist, Topsail, by the Rev. A Pittman, Arthur Brenton, son of the late Captain George and Mrs. BERG, (Bergville), Topsail to Valda Furneaux, eldest daughter of Mr. & Mrs. J. K. BURSELL, of Topsail.

James F. WADE, ex-relieving officer of Conception Hr., was found guilty at the Supreme Court Thursday night of falsification of his accounts. He was sentenced to 12 months imprisonment with hard labour.

Friday, October 28, 1932

Married on October 22nd, at the home of the bride's parents, by Rev. Dr. Paulin, assisted by Rev. Dr. Darby, George Bishop, the son of Rev. Dr. & Mrs. T. B. DARBY to Isabelle Marjorie, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Murdo MacLEOD, both of St. John's.

Passed away at Harbour Grace early Monday morning, after a long illness, Rodger (Rhode), youngest son of Agnes and the late Michael THOMEY. Leaving to mourn mother, two sisters, Nellie and Bridgie, at home, and three brothers, Nicholas at Corner Brook, Kenneth and William at home.

Obituary - There passed peacefully away at the residence of his son-in-law at St. John's, Monday afternoon, William Henry PARSONS, eldest son of the late Captain George Parsons of Bear's Cove, Hr. Grace. At an early age the deceased went to St. John's and for a time worked with the firm of Phillip Hutchins & Son, and later for a few years with Job and MacPherson, when afterwards joined the firm of Marshall Brothers with whom he remained until the firm went into liquidation. His later years were spent as traveller for the Newfoundland Clothing Company until failing health compelled him to retire. The late Mr. Parsons was well and favourably known and made many friends amongst the businessmen of the outports who will regret his passing. He leaves to mourn besides a devoted wife who ministered to him throughout his illness, four daughters, Mrs. F. Ronald Clark, Mrs. A. M. Wilson, Mrs. Dr. Stick and Lorraine, a sister Mrs. Willis Davis of St. John's, two brothers and two sisters residing in Toronto, also surviving.

A very pretty wedding took place in Winnipegosis, October 5th, when Elizabeth, older daughter of Mr. & Mrs. John BRADBURY, of that town, was united in marriage to Harvey GRENON, youngest son of the late Mr. Joseph P. Grenon and Mrs. Grenon. The wedding ceremony was performed in the home of the bride, tastefully decorated for the occasion by Rev. J. F. Palmer. The bride entered the church on the arm of her father who gave her in marriage. Little Mona Grenon was the flower girl; otherwise the bride and groom were unattended. The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Bradbury, formerly of this town.

Cyril RUSSELL, of Crane's Brook, an employee of William Dawe & Sons Ltd., at their factory here, while working on one of the cutting machines had three fingers of his right hand severed on Thursday morning. First aid was supplied at the Factory office after which he was hurried to his home in Hayward Snow's taxi, where Dr. Pritchard tended him.

Married October 20th at the Parsonage of Cochrane St. Centennial Church by Rev. Ernest Davis, Violet Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. John DEIR, builder and contractor, and Mrs. Deir to Arthur Harvey, eldest son of Mr. Edward A. and Mrs. THOMAS, both of St. John's.

James DIXON, of the Goulds, who was serving six months sentence for breaking into a bungalow on the Hodgewater Road this summer, escaped from the gaol at Hr. Grace but was recaptured.

Died at Shearstown, October 27th, Minnie, infant child of William and Florence EARLE, age 6 months.

Died at Brigus, October 22nd, Thomas ROBERTS, aged 79 years. Leaving a wife and ten children to mourn their sad loss. Mrs. Jas. G. Baggs and Mrs. Chas. Snow of this town are children of deceased. Funeral took place Oct. 24th to the U.C. cemetery.

Died on Monday morning at Sanitorium, St. John's, Rueben PENNEY, aged 33 years, a native of English Hr., T.B. Deceased was a cousin of Mr. J. Ploughman, J.P.

Haiman BROWN, a businessman of St. John's, was found guilty of setting fire to his shop a couple of months ago. He was sentenced to 18 months imprisonment with hard labour.

Friday, November 4, 1932

Harry SAUNDERS of Shearstown, who was arrested some time ago on a charge of rioting, was declared "not guilty" by a jury in the Supreme Court at St. John's on Monday last. Mr. F. G. Bradley defended him. In the same evening just about tea hour, while Harry was crossing Water St. near Hutchings St., he was struck by a motor car and injured, his leg and arm being broke. He was conveyed to the General Hospital for treatment.

Passed peacefully away at Coley's Point after a short illness, Sarah, widow of the late Benjamin FRENCH, at the ripe old age of 79 years and 8 months. She leaves to mourn their loss two sons and one daughter, John French at Coley's Point with whom she lived, Benjamin French at Port de Grave and Mrs. Edward Hampton at Bareneed, and seven grandchildren. Funeral took place to St. John the Evangelist Church and cemetery, Rev.W. E. Brown officiating.

Married at Heart's Content, October 17th, 1932, by Rev. I. David, Mary C. MOSDELL to Harold R. PIPPY, both of St. John's.

Passed peacefully away in her sleep at an early hour Monday morning at her son's residence, St. John's, Fannie, relict of the late George C. CHALKER, aged 84 years. She leaves to mourn two sons, Thomas at Brigus, James R. of St. John's, and three daughters, Mrs. (Capt.) John Clarke, Brigus, Mrs. E. Downton of St. John's, and Mrs. G. Howe of Everett, Mass., besides several grandchildren and great grandchildren.

Passed away at the Grace Hospital this morning, Friday, Lemuel H. SIMMONDS, age 69 years, of Whitbourne. Leaving to mourn wife, two sons and six daughters. Interment at Whitbourne.

Mrs. E. B. THOMPSON, of Harbour Grace, widow of the late E. B. Thompson, druggist, passed away at Hr. Grace Thursday afternoon. The deceased lady was 78 years of age. She leaves to mourn one daughter, Louise, and one brother, Paul Higgins.

Passed peacefully away at 20 Victoria Street, Thursday, November 3rd, Mary E. RUTHERFORD, younger daughter of the late Andrew Rutherford, Harbour Grace.

Mr. Abram SEELEY, a well known and highly respected resident of Bareneed, was stricken with paralysis this morning and passed away this afternoon. The late Mr. Seeley was 75 years of age.

Rev. W. E. Tilley of the United Church, stationed at Nipper's Harbour, had a terrifying experience a short while ago when travelling between Burlington and Smith's Harbour he was attacked by four dogs and badly bitten about the arms and legs. He reached Smith's Harbour in a weak condition and was confined to his bed as a result of the canine attack.

Friday, November 11, 1932

Died suddenly today of paralysis, Christopher MERCER, aged 80 years. Leaving a wife, one son, Jacob and one daughter, Mrs. Abram Snow, Coley's Point, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral takes place November 13th.

Died, at French's Cove, November 6th, Albert, third eldest son of Arthur and Mary MENCHIONS, aged 20 years, leaving father, mother, four brothers and two sisters to mourn their great loss. Funeral took place November 8th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Mrs. Michael CARBAGE, of Bell Island, pleaded guilty to a charge of arson at the Supreme Court. She was sentenced to nine months imprisonment. Mrs. Carbage is the mother of 18 children.

Herbert SAUNDERS, of St. John's, recently sentenced for burglary has been granted leave to appeal against a judgement of 18 months imprisonment in the Penitentiary. He set forth through his counsel, Mr. Geo. B. Ayre, that he was a pauper, and the justice dept is standing the expense of the appeal. He claimed that he was not guilty and that the verdict was unreasonable and a grave miscarriage of justice.

Friday, November 18, 1932

Died at Shearstown, November 12th, after a short illness, William TURTLE, aged 55 years. Leaving a wife, three sons and one daughter to mourn their sad loss. Funeral took place November 16th to the C. of E. cemetery.

William MAHONEY and Isaac HALL, both of North River, were before the Supreme Court and a special jury at St. John's on Tuesday and convicted for having made false declarations and receiving dole under false pretences. The juries recommended leniency in their sentences. Mr. R.C.B. Mercer represented William Mahoney, while Isaac Hall was unrepresented by counsel.

On November 6th the home of Mr. & Mrs. Albert MENCHIONS of French's Cove was darkened by the shadow of death, when at the early age of 20 years, after a lingering illness, their darling son Albert was called from this earthly life to the life of joy and peace in the great beyond. Deceased became ill in July 1931 and taken to the Sanitorium in St. John's in March 1932. After discovering there was no hope of recovery he returned home again in April and since then has been fighting a losing battle. Medical skill and the kind attention of his loving relatives were unavailing.

Died Wednesday morning, Adam Reid MARTIN, aged 76 years.

With the promotion to Glory, October 26th of Mrs. Adjutant. COOPER, there has been gathered to the Heavenly Homeland one of the very choicest of spirits and most valiant of Salvation Army warriors. Born on October 22nd, 1870 at Bay Roberts, Newfoundland, our departed comrade spent her childhood and school days in this delightful little town on the south shore of Conception Bay. She grew up a devout member of the Church of England, but at the age of 20 became interested in the Army, T. A. becoming converted in the then new Movement and enrolled as a Soldier at Amherst, N.S. The conviction took hold of her soul that the Army was the only place where she could adequately serve God and Humanity. The promoted officer entered training at the Halifax, N.S. in 1891 and saw service on the field for six years prior to her marriage to Adjutant Cooper. Years of single success on the battlefield followed. The continued ill health of Adjutant Cooper finally resulted in a forced retirement in 1916. Removal from the activities associated with the Command of Core, Mrs. Cooper threw herself in the various operations of cores life at Dovercourt and very many there are who will always remember the quiet, kindly, sympathetic touch which seemed always to be a living part of her character. - War Cry. Mrs. Cooper was before her marriage Miss Jane Maria Russell, daughter of the late William and Elizabeth Russell of Coley's Point and a sister of Azariah, William and Stephen Russell.

Scarlet fever is still on the increase in St. John's, 54 new cases being reported last week, making a total of 253 cases.

On Saturday morning, November 19th, William FILLIER, who conducted a general store on Bell Island, passed away at his home at Clarke's Beach after a short illness. He was well and favourably known and held in high esteem by all who knew him. The late Mr. Fillier was 53 years old on the Saturday preceding his death. For over 20 years he had been manager of one of J. B. Martin's branch stores on the Island and about a year ago opened business on his own account. During these years he earned the respect and goodwill of all with whom he came in contact. His funeral took place Monday afternoon last and was attended by a large concourse of people from Bell Island, Bay Roberts and other places. Deceased leaves to mourn one brother Mr. Abraham Fillier of Bell Island and one son Harold, of the Company's Construction Office, in addition to his widow and several children at home. Service was held at the Clarke's Beach United Church.

Friday, December 2, 1932

Passed suddenly and peacefully away at his home, Bay Roberts, November 11th, one of the oldest and most respected citizens of Christopher MERCER at the ripe old age of 80 years. His sudden passing came as a shock to his wife and family and to citizens generally as he was apparently well right up to the time of his death. His death was caused by paralysis and he only lasted a few hours after he was stricken. Deceased prosecuted the cod fishery and seal fishery all his life. He first went to the seal fishery on the brig "Rescue", Captain Samuel Dawe, and was one of the number who rescued the survivors of the sealing ship "Huntsman". It was only about six years ago that he ceased to prosecute the fishery. He was an Orangeman, a member of Victoria Lodge for over fifty years. He was one of the number who assisted in the building of the present Orange Hall. The brethren of Victoria Lodge accompanied by the band attended the funeral in a body, the Guard of Honor was from the Royal Arch Degree. He was a lifelong member of St. Matthew's Church and his remains were laid to rest in the C. of E. cemetery. Rev. W. E. Brown officiating. He leaves to mourn their sad loss a wife, one son Jacob at home and one daughter, Mrs. Abram Snow of Coley's Point and five grandchildren.

News was received on Sunday last in a message to Comdt. Caines, S. A. from Grand Falls stating that William SPENCER, of Country Road was seriously ill in the hospital there and his recovery was doubtful. A later message was received stating that he had passed away. Immediately after his death his remains were coffined and put on board the eastbound express accompanied by his brother, Ernest, and reached Bay Roberts by the Shoreline train about one o'clock Monday afternoon. Deceased was employed by Messrs. E & J. Bowering as a carpenter on the new K. of C. Hall at Grand Falls. About three or fours days before his death he scratched his hand with a nail which resulted in blood poison, this developed rapidly and despite medical attention he passed away after a few days illness. The late Mr. Spencer was a member of the local core of the Salvation Army here, superintendent of the Sunday School and bandmaster for a number of years past. Funeral, which took place from his home at Country Rd. Nov. 30 was attended by members of the Salvation Army. The late Mr. Spencer leaves to mourn a great loss a wife, five children, mother, three brothers and two sisters.

Magistrate's court, St. John's - James DIXON, 24, labourer, Goulds, C.B., and Philip LANE, 30, labourer, Gambo, for escaping from prison at Harbour Grace on October 5th, were sentenced to 12 months each in the penitentiary. Dixon was also charged with four larcenies whilst he was at large. He was sentenced to 3 months imprisonment on each count.

Friday, December 9, 1932

Married December 5th at The Little Church Around the Corner, New York City, Sybil Frances, daughter of J. R. & Mrs. CHALKER to Edmund, son of J. W. & Mrs. HISCOCK, both of St. John's.

Four bodies of the crew of the lost steamer Sandbeach, have been picked up on the beach at the Highlands, West Coast, six lifebelts were found within ten or fifteen yards of the fourth body found. The body of Captain Moody will be conveyed to New Brunswick for interment. The weather conditions in St. George's Bay are reported very stormy.

The trial of the ten men accused of riot at Spaniard's Bay in October last concluded today when nine men were found guilty. George REID was acquitted. The trial began on Tuesday before his Lordship Mr. Justice Kent and a special jury. The accused were Walter BARRETT, William NOSEWORTHY, Reuben GOSSE, Jas. GALWAY, William BUTT, Robert SEYMOUR, Edwin BROWN, Thomas GREELEY, Nathan BARRETT and George REID. The Attorney General and Mr. Browne for the prosecution, Messers. Parsons and Walsh for the defendants. Trial began at 10:00 a.m. Tuesday and the hearing of evidence occupied until 5:30 p.m. Thursday. Twelve witnesses were called by the Crown and sixteen by the defence. This morning Counsel for both sides addressed the jury after which his Lordship delivered his charge. The jury retired at noon and returned to court shortly after for information on some of the evidence. They returned again at 1:15 p.m. with a verdict of guilty in the case of nine men, with a strong recommendation for mercy. A motion of Mr. Parsons, Reid was released from custody; the other nine prisoners were remanded for sentence.

Died at the residence of his brother, James Snow (barber), on December 6th, after a long illness, George Cave SNOW, age 64 years. Leaving to mourn their loss, one brother, James Snow, barber and one sister, Mrs. Jas. Norman, Beachy Cove. Funeral took place December 8th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Friday, December 16, 1932

A double wedding took place at the C. of E. Church, Spaniard's Bay, December 13th, when Elizabeth Clara, second eldest daughter of Mrs. Jessie BATTEN, Bareneed was united in marriage to Mark, eldest son of Mr. & Mrs. Philip SNOW, of this town. The wedding ceremony was performed by Rev. E. C. Clench. The bride entered the church leaning on the arm of her brother Samuel Batten. The bride was attended by her sister Ella, and William Jewer acted as best man. Her sister Mary Ella was also united in marriage to Robert HUSSEY, of Tilton. The bride was attended by Mrs. William Jewer, sister of the groom, Mark Snow performed the duties of best man. After the wedding ceremony, the happy couples enjoyed a social hour at the home of Mr. & Mrs. Jewer of Spaniard's Bay. After which they motored to the home of Mr. Hussey at Tilton where the usual toasts were rendered.

GEORGE CAVE SNOW - Passed away December 5th, age 64 years. He was the son of the late James & Charlotte Snow. His illness extended over a period of two years, five months of which he spent at the General Hospital, at which institution he had two operations performed. All that medical skill and careful nursing could do was done for him, but the disease, cancer of the bowels, could not be successfully combated. About four months ago he returned to Bay Roberts to live with his brother James until the end came. The late George Snow in his early days for 36 years prosecuted the cod fishery and seal fishery. For four years he was caretaker of the Public Bldg. here. He leaves to mourn their sad loss, one brother James Snow, barber, two sisters, Mrs. James Norman, Beachy Cove and Mrs. Joseph Michelin, Traverspen River, Labrador, his wife predeceased him about six years ago. Funeral took place December 8th to the C. of E. cemetery.

The death of Fred W. AYRE occurred at St. John's December 14th, he was the senior member of the firm of Ayre & Sons Ltd. The late Mr. Ayre was born in St. John's on July 4th, 1854 and was the third son of the late Honourable Chas. R. Ayre, M.L.C. He began his business career with the firm of Steer & Ayre in 1870 and worked later with Ayre & Marshall. When his father established the firm of Ayre & Sons in 1884, he became one of the partners. In 1903 the business was incorporated and in 1915, he became its chairman. He is survived by five sons and four daughters.

A message from Head Constable Lee, Corner Brook to Inspector General Hutchings on Wednesday morning states: Thomas HISCOCK, age 51, left Camp at twelve mile dam Monday to attend rabbit snares is still missing. Search parties in charge of police and others are formed.

Died at Bareneed, December 8th, after a lingering illness, George H. BARTLETT, age 74 years. Leaving a wife, two daughters and one grand daughter to mourn their loss.

Friday, December 23, 1932

Sentence of nine months imprisonment with hard labour was the sentence of the Supreme Court on Saturday last against the ten men from Spaniard's Bay who were found guilty of riotously assembling. Mr. R. A. Parsons, K.C. made a plea for mitigation of sentence. The men from Carbonear accused of the same offence were also sentenced on Saturday last. Fifteen of them were sentenced to nine months each, while Alfred CLARKE, for whom the jury entered a special plea for mercy, was sentenced to four months. Mr. Curtis, K.C. asked the Court for clemency.

Married December 8th at Wesley Manse, St. John's by the Rev. G. B. Pickering, B.D., Graham S. MERCER to Mildred G. BELBIN, both of this town.

Died at the General Hospital, December 17th, Thomas B. LeGROW, of Broad Cove. Bay de Verde, officer S.S. Kyle, age 73 years.

Friday, December 30, 1932

Died suddenly at Corner Brook December 23rd, Beatrice, beloved wife of Pleamon G. RIDEOUT, building contractor, age 32 years. Leaving a husband, three children, mother, two sisters, Mrs. Samuel L. Brown, of Bay Roberts West, and Mrs. George Thoms of Grand Falls to mourn their sad loss. Funeral took place December 25th to the S. A. cemetery.

A young woman, Sadie REYNOLDS, age 20 years, daughter of Mr. & Mrs. Jas. Reynolds, living with her parents at Riverhead, Hr. Grace, was accidentally drowned in a well while drawing water on Friday last. The young lady was an epileptic.

Mrs. (Rev. A.B.S.) STIRLING passed away December 23rd after a long period of suffering. Mrs. Stirling had a serious operation performed last year from which she recovered and continued active in the work of her husband's parish. A few weeks ago she sustained a severe fall while walking along the street and the condition was set up which gradually grew worse. For two weeks previous to her death she lingered between life and death suffering severely in her conscious moments, which mercifully became fewer until her peaceful passing on Friday night. Mrs. Della Stirling was born at Bay Roberts, the daughter of the late John and Della Jardine. She was married to Rev. A. B. S. Stirling on October 4th, 1905 and leaves besides her husband, seven children, Ralph G., Millicent, Bertram, Irene, Jean, Sylvia and Phyllis, one brother Geo. W. Jardine, J. P. and two sisters, Mrs. (Dr.) Cron of Hr. Grace and Mrs. R. J. Bemister, Bay Roberts, survive. Funeral took place Dec. 26th from St. Mary's Rectory, first to the church and then to the cemetery.

We announce the engagement of Mr. Malcolm NORMAN, theological student at Queen's College to Miss Audrey STIRLING, teacher at Bishop Spencer College, St. John's.



Transcribed by Maxine Edwards 2002.

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday February 20, 2013 AST)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]