Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Guardian



Bay Roberts Guardian 1924
MF 5145

Friday, January 4, 1924

Died at Coley's Point, December 28th after a short illness, John, beloved husband of Emily BRADBURY, aged 29 years. He leaves to mourn a wife, father, mother, three brothers and one sister. Funeral took place to the Methodist Cemetery.

Died at Crane's Brook, on January 3rd, after an illness of three years, George PARSONS, aged 25 years. Left to mourn are father, mother, three brothers and one sister. Funeral takes place on Saturday.

Passed peacefully away at Mercer's Cove on January 1st, Israel MERCER, aged 86 years. Funeral took place on Thursday, January 3rd to the C. of E. cemetery.

Friday, January 11, 1924

Mr. Wm. JAMES died suddenly at Brigus, Wednesday morning.

The bodies recovered from the wreck of the schooner, Donald L. Silver, which was lost in last week's storm in Bay St. George, while en route to Gloucester with a load of herring from Bay of Islands, are as follows: - Capt. HACKETT, ROUTH and WHEELER, of Bay of Islands, and H. SWYERS and F. SWYERS, of Sandy Point.

The fourteen-year-old son of Mr. W. H. NORRIS was drowned on St. Stephens' Day while skating on a pond near Little Heart's Ease. The accident was witnessed by his mother, who immediately rushed to the rescue. She was barely prevented from drowning by the efforts of an aged man. The mother collapsed on the spot.

Married at St. Mary's Church, St. John's, on Tuesday, January 8th, by the Rev. A.B.S. Stirling, Arthur, son of Mr. & Mrs. George CAVE, to Maggie Florence, daughter of Susanna and the late Jessie MERCER, both of this town. Duties of best man performed by Mr. Walter Coombs, while Miss Winnie Russell acted as bridesmaid.

Friday, January 18, 1924

The body of John KENNEDY, who was drowned at Argentia in last week's storm, has been recovered and taken to his home.

One of Newfoundland's Heroes - Mr. & Mrs. William Belbin, Country Road, have received word from Lt. Col. Nangle, Director of Graves, Registration and Enquiries for Newfoundland, London, through the Militia Dept., St. John's, that the body of their son Pte. Herbert BELBIN, had been taken from the cemetery in which he was originally buried at Dusseldorf and reinterred in the South Cemetery, Cologne, Rhineland, Germany. The late Herbert Belbin enlisted as a private at the age of 18 and went overseas with the Royal Nfld. Regiment in 1916. At the Battle of Monchy, April 14th, he was captured and brought to a German prison where he lived for 15 months. Here he, with the other English prisoners, worked in a stone quarry where, while engaged at work he was accidentally killed. Hundreds of fellow prisoners of all nationalities followed the soldier to the Lutheran Cemetery, where he was laid to rest. The body has been exhumed from the cemetery and reinterred in Rhineland.

On Friday evening last, a tragic fire occurred at the home of Mrs. Hannah BRYANT, St. John's. Minnie SHANOW, the 11-year-old niece of Mrs. Bryant, was bringing a lighted oil stove upstairs when she tripped letting the heater fall. An explosion immediately followed and flames quickly spread with the scattered oil. It was supposed that the little girl escaped with the other occupants but after the fire had been extinguished, the lifeless body of the child was found lying on the bed.

Friday, January 25, 1924

A most tragic loss of life was the outcome of a fire, which occurred at the home of Mr. Charles HAYTER, Norris Arm on Saturday night, January 19th. It is supposed that the fire was caused by the explosion of an oil lamp and resulted in their three children being burnt to death, and their home with all the contents completely destroyed. Mrs. Hayter, who had been putting the children to bed, had evidently gone asleep with them, as only the call of her husband at the room door roused her in time to jump from the window and escape. The father received injuries in attempting to rescue the little ones, whose age's range from 2 to 7 years. It is not known whether Mrs. Hayter will recover.

Died at Coley's Point on January 21st, Mrs. Elizabeth GRAY, aged 67 years. Funeral took place January 23rd.

Friday, February 1, 1924

The trial of Charles R. TUFF, who killed 4-year-old Mollie HUMPHRIES, by his motorcycle in July 1923, took place in the Supreme Court on Monday, Jan. 28th. Several witnesses were called and examined. The jury through their foreman, Mr. Joseph Peters announced that they had found the prisoner "not guilty." He was then discharged.

Married at North River, January 31st, by the Rev. Fr. Thibeault, Agnes, daughter of the late George DAWSON, to Edward, son of Mr. William CLEARY, both of this town.

The Cancer Menace - The death-rate in the U.S. registration area, including 34 states with 85% of the total population, declined from 17.6 per 10,000 in 1900 to 11.8 in 1922. The cancer death rate had steadily risen to 86.8 per 100,000 in 1922, and this disease is now fourth among causes of death - only organic heart diseases, pneumonia and tuberculosis claiming a higher mortality.

Mr. Richard GOSSE, son of Capt. R. E. Gosse, Vancouver, had, with his wife, a narrow escape from death on December 30th last, when his own house and fifteen others, together with much of the cannery plant of the Gosse Millerd Packing Co. was burned to the ground at Bella Bella which is about half way between Vancouver and Prince Rupert. Mr. Gosse and his wife were awakened by smoke, which was entering the bedroom from below. Finding escape by the stairway impossible he wrapped some of the bedclothes around Mrs. Gosse and climbed out the window, succeeding in climbing down the outside of the house, to the ground.

Obituary - Passed peacefully away on January 3rd, George S., dearly beloved son of Henry and Fannie PARSONS, in his 23rd year. Left to mourn are a sorrowing mother and father, six brothers, Albert at Madison, Maine, William at Grand Falls, James, Augustus and Samuel at Bangor, Maine, and Joseph at home. Also three sisters, Mrs. A. Mercer, of this town, Mrs. William Strange, at St. John's and Mrs. Henry Carnute, at New York. Funeral took place on Jan. 5th to the C. of E. Cemetery.

Died at Crane's Brook on January 26th, Mary, widow of the late George CRANE, aged 90 years. The funeral took place Jan. 29th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Died at St. John's on January 31st, Tasker COOK, son of Hon. Tasker and Mrs. Cook, aged 25 years. Left to mourn are father, mother, and three brothers.

February 8th issue missing.

Friday, February 22, 1924

Obituary - The oldest inhabitant of Spaniard's Bay, in the person of Abraham COLLINS, passed away on February 16th, at the ripe old age of 91 years. His mortal remains were laid to rest in the C. of E. cemetery. Left to mourn are one brother, Mr. George Collins, one sister-in-law, widow of John Collins, one daughter-in-law, widow of William Collins, several grandchildren and a number of great grandchildren.

Died at Coley's Point on February 17th, after a long illness, Julia, beloved wife of John FRENCH (of Nath.), aged 82 years. Leaving a husband, three daughters and ten grandchildren. Funeral took place Feb. 19th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Obituary - Passed peacefully away at Coley's Point, December 28, 1923, after a lingering illness, John BRADBURY, aged 29 years, beloved husband of Emily Bradbury and son of Joseph and Eliza Bradbury. He leaves to mourn a wife, father and mother, one sister, Mrs. William Bowering of Coley's Point, three brothers, Stephen and Joseph, residing at Coley's Point, and Charles at Everett, Washington, U.S.A. Interment took place on Dec. 31st. in the Methodist Cemetery. The deceased had done service in the great World War, being a member of the Royal Navy Reserve.

Friday, February 29, 1924

The sympathy of the community went out to James and Anastasia FITZPATRICK and family this morning when it became known that their eldest daughter, Margaret (Maggie), aged 23 years, had died in the General Hospital, St. John's on February 28th. It is learned that the deceased young lady was in the employ of a man named Levis, Topsail Rd., St. John's, when she tripped over a kerosene stove, which was standing on the floor in the kitchen, the flames of which quickly ignited her clothing and burnt her badly about the arms and chest. Dr. Templeman was hurriedly summoned and after bandaging up the wounds had her brought to the hospital, where, some hours later, she expired.

Sydney, N.S. - The lives of two miners, John BABB, a native of Carbonear, Nfld., and Daniel MacDONALD, of Louisberg, were snuffed out without a moment's warning at Victory Mine No. 24, Glace Bay this afternoon when shortly after the men entered the pit to begin the night shift, a piece of rock, eight feet long, seven feet wide and two feet thick, fell from the roof crushing the men and causing instant death. The remains of John Babb will be forwarded on the next trip of the steamer Kyle. An enquiry will be conducted into the accident.

Obituary - Julia FRENCH - the late Mrs. French was the daughter of the late Nathaniel and Charlotte French and was in her 82nd year. Left to mourn a husband, three daughters, Mrs. Stephen Greenland, Mrs. Isaac Goosney and Mrs. Charles S. French, all of Coley's Pt.

Friday, March 7, 1924

One of the oldest and most respected citizens of the community in the person of Mrs. Margaret DAWSON, relict of the late James Dawson, who lost his life in the "Huntsman" disaster, passed peacefully away on March 4th, at the ripe old age of 86 years. She was a daughter of the late John Walsh, and a sister of the late Denis Walsh of this town. The funeral took place on March 6th. Requiem Mass was offered by the Rev. Fr. Thibault. It will be remembered that her son, the late John R. Dawson, predeceased her several years ago. Left to mourn are one daughter, Catherine, at home, one son, James, residing in Halifax and a number of grandchildren.

Married at St. John's on February 28th, Bernard, son of Mr. Patrick FITZPATRICK, Station Road, to Miss Catherine ENGLISH, of Branch, Placentia Bay.

A young man, Denis HYDE, of Red Head Cove, B.D.V., who was going to the ice fields in the Ranger, is missing. He was visiting some friends on board the Seal Monday night, and has not been seen since.

Friday, March 14, 1924

Three members of the crew of the S.S. Terra Nova lost their lives by drowning shortly after the ship left St. John's Monday morning. It appears that owing to the jam of ice outside the harbor the steamer found it difficult to force her way through, and some of the crew were placed on the ice to help by pushing the ice away from her bows and other ways. While doing this about a dozen men fell through a weak pan into the water, and in the scramble and confusion, and with perhaps the steamer going ahead, three of them sank to the bottom never to be seen again. The names of the unfortunate men are:- David WHEALAN of St. John's, Maurice BREEN of Ferryland; and Hubert HISCOCK of Champneys, T. B. The ship was stopped and an effort made to locate the bodies, but in vain.

Friday, March 21, 1924

Died on March 19th, after a short illness, Lilla, beloved daughter of William and Mary S. MERCER, of this town, aged 19 years. Funeral this afternoon to the C. of E. cemetery. Left to mourn are mother, father, one brother, Robert, and one sister, Dorothy.

Passed peacefully away in her 65th year, on March 19th, Bella M., widow of Robert Langrishe MARE, and daughter of the late Sir Edward Dalton Shea. Funeral took place Thursday from Balsam Annex, Barnes Road.

Passed peacefully away in her 66th year, on March 19th, Alice Augusta, wife of Sir Marmaduke WINTER and daughter of the late Robert and Eliza Lilly.

Mr. Joseph MOORES, of the Motion, Clarke's Beach, passed away Wednesday, in his 81st year.

Mr. William R. DAWE, line foreman with the Nfld. Light and Power Co., St. John's, arrived in town Saturday to spend St. Patrick's Day (his 27th birthday) with his parents, Mr. & Mrs. Samuel Dawe, of Coley's Point.

Friday, March 28, 1924

(Reprinted from Halifax Chronicle of some weeks ago) - The schooner Keno, which left Lunenburg, N.S. December 29 for Bay of Islands, Nfld. foundered and sank with all hands, is accepted there as a moral certainty, and not even the most sanguine optimist expects to hear of the safety of the vessel or crew. John WILCOX, aged 30, who was one of the crew of the Keno, is a son of the late Moses Wilcox of Brigus. Besides leaving a wife and two children in Lunenburg, he leaves a mother, Mrs. Thomas Spooner, of Halifax, four sisters in Sydney, Mrs. A.W. Dean, Mrs. F. E. Libby, Mrs. Bob Morris, and Kathleen in the employ of F. J. Morley, and Mrs. Ray Fogle of Huston, Texas, and Mrs. Charles Gooby, of Wakeville, Ont.

Died on March 6th, at Croydon, England, Winnifred, beloved wife of Rev. J. B. ADAMS and daughter of the late Delphene and John Jardine, J.P., of this town. Left to mourn are her husband, two children, three sisters and one brother.

Died on March 23rd, after a lingering illness, William SNOW, beloved husband of Miriam Snow, aged 67 years. Funeral took place on March 26th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Friday, April 4, 1924

This community was plunged into mourning on Saturday, March 29th, when it became known that little George BUTT, the 9-year-old son of Mr. Charles C. Butt, of the Western Union Cable Staff, had been killed. We have learned that the three little boys, George Butt, Lex Myers and Frank Bateman went east to Jones' Head to watch the vessels which had drifted out in the gale on Friday night. At the extreme east of the Head they had climbed down to a ledge of rock and were throwing stones into the water. On the way up they, not satisfied with their sport, decided to go down a second time and in trying to reach the objective first, it appeared that Master George lost his balance or slipped and rolled down over the bank, struck the same ledge that they had been standing on and from there fell to the beach. The other boys continued down to see what had happened to their chum, picking up his cap and one rubber on the descent. When they saw that he had been hurt they scaled the bank again, called Mr. Ralph Mercer for assistance and then proceeded to the C. of E. Rectory, from where they phoned Mrs. (Rev.) Bishop, who was then on Cable Avenue. In the meantime, Sergt. Wells and Dr. Pritchard were called to the scene, but arrived too late, as the boy was dead when reached by Mr. Ralph Mercer. The funeral took place on Monday, March 31st, from Cable Avenue to the C. of E. cemetery. Left to mourn are a sorrowing father, stepmother, twin brother, Ralph, and one sister, Winnifred.

Died at Humber: - Mr. Geo. F. Grimes, Minister of Marine and Fisheries, received the following message April 2nd from Constable J. Curtis, Humber Canal: "Cyril GOODYEAR of Lumsden South, aged 18, died 6 a.m., was ill only a few hours. Arrangements made by Company for remains to leave by first express, with escort."

Died on April 3rd, after a short illness, Charles Henry CALPIN, aged 84 years. He is survived by a widow, and four sons, William, Robert and Raymond residing in the United States and Augustus, M.H.A., of this town. Funeral tomorrow to the C. of E. Cemetery.

Died at St. John's, on April 3rd, after a short illness, Mrs. Emily TAYLOR, aged 72 years. Left to mourn are one son, Guy, at St. John's, and four daughters, Mrs. S.R. Dawe, of this town, Mrs. Capt. Randell, St. John's, Mrs. Arch Hall, Carbonear, and Mrs. George Cobb, Bishop's Falls. Also one brother and four sisters.

Friday, April 11, 1924

Died, April 6th, Ethel, beloved wife of George H. MERCER, aged 33 years. Funeral took place April 9th to the C. of E. cemetery. Left to mourn are a husband, two children, mother and father, Capt. George and Sarah Ann Richards, of Bareneed. Also three sisters and one brother.

Died on April 7th, after a short illness, at the residence of his brother in law, Jonathan Earle, Shearstown, William H. BRADBURY, son of the late Eli and Fanny Bradbury of Crane's Brook, aged 48 years. Left to mourn are two brothers, Jacob and Joshua, residing in this town, two sisters, Mrs. Jonathan Earle, Shearstown, and Mrs. Jean Tucker, Winterton, T.B.

Died at Winnipeg, on March 26th, after a long illness, Thomas George SEELEY, son of Abram and the late Mary Jane Seeley, Bareneed, aged 32 years. Deceased was pastor of a Methodist Church in Winnipeg when he was taken ill. He is survived by a father, one brother, Rev. Wm. R. Seeley, Sydney, and two sisters, Misses Rebecca and Jemima Seeley.

Died at Coley's Point on April 4th, Samuel BRADBURY, aged 66 years. The funeral took place on April 6th to the C. of E. Cemetery. Left to mourn are two brothers and two sisters. Also a stepbrother, Rev. Isaac Parsons, of Bell Island.

Friday, April 18, 1924

Died at Upper Island Cove on April 10th, after a short illness, Flora, only and beloved daughter of Frederick and Susannah YOUNG, aged 20 years and 4 months. Funeral took place, April 12th to the C. of E. Cemetery.

Died at French's Cove, on April 16th, after a lingering illness, Mary Jane, beloved wife of George FRENCH. Funeral takes place on April 18th to the Methodist Cemetery.

Died suddenly at Black Duck Pond, on April 14th, Charles BOONE, aged 74 years. Funeral took place to the C. of E. Cemetery, Bareneed.

A grim tragedy occurred at St. John's on April 17th, when Matthew WAKEHAM, aged 47, was killed almost instantly by his stepson, Wm Alonzo RUSSELL, aged 20. It seems that Matthew Wakeham married a widow named Russell about nine years ago. Her three sons came to live with them and three other children were born. The couple lived unhappily and lately they had many quarrels. On Thursday morning Wakeham threatened to kill his wife and the stepson, William, in order to save his mother, shot and killed Wakeham. Russell is in the Penitentiary waiting for a preliminary trial after the full particulars of the case are learned.

A CONTRADICTION - I wish through the columns of your paper to publicly contradict a rumor that is being circulated to the effect that I received the sum of $5.00 per week for looking after and caring for the late William Henry Bradbury. Such a rumor is absolutely false. (Signed) Shearstown, April 14, 1924, Jonathan EARLE

Obituary - Mrs. George H. MERCER - There passed peacefully away on April 6th at 11:30 p.m. after a lingering illness, Ethel, beloved wife of Geo. H. Mercer, aged 30 years. Mrs. Mercer before her marriage was Miss Ethel Richards, daughter of Captain George and Sarah Ann Richards, of Bareneed. Deceased had been ill for almost two years, but her passing came as a shock to her many friends, as she was only confined to her bed for two days. She was a great sufferer, but bore it all without a murmur, and as she drew near to the end she wore a smile as she wished her loved ones good-bye, and then the guardian angel who is watching over us, bore her spirit to that blessed home from which no traveller returns. She was well and favourably known and loved by all who knew her, being of a charitable disposition, and always ready to help the poor and needy. The funeral took place from her late residence, Beachy Cove, on Wednesday, April 9th. The C. of E. Women's Association, of which deceased lady was a member, attended in a body. Members of the Church Lads' Brigade were pallbearers. She leaves to mourn a sorrowing husband, two children, Purdy Mansfield, and Myra Barbara, a father, mother, two sisters, Mrs. Isaac Dawe, of Vernon, B.S., Mrs. Naboth Butt, of Chelsea, Mass., also two brothers, Tom residing in Chelsea, Mass., and Allan attending the United Business College at St. John's, besides a host of friends who will learn with sorrow of her demise.

Miss Anna E. SPENCER Passes Away - Tuesday's Daily News contained an enquiry received by the American Consul, St. John's, from Harriet Hutchinson of the Young Women's Christian Association, New York City, enquiring about the family of Miss Ann E. Spencer. She stated that "Miss Spencer attended Northfield College and has been a resident here for more than three weeks. She was taken sick about two weeks ago and sent to the Women's and Children's Hospital, where she died last Sunday morning. We made all the effort possible to locate her family and friends, but being unable to do so she was buried in St. Michael's Cemetery, Astoria, Long Island. Would appreciate having her people notified and having them write me." Immediately we read this enquiry we sent the following message to the American Consul: "Believe Anna Spencer's mother and brother resides in Shearstown near Bay Roberts. She has brother clergyman State New York. Can give you his address if necessary. C.E. Russell, J.P." This message was handed by the Consul to Insp. General Hutchings, who wired Sergt. Wells to make further enquires. He called on us and we gave him further information, and our belief as to who Miss Spencer was turned out to be correct. Deceased young lady was a daughter of Susannah and the late Geo. H. Spencer of Coley's Point. Her mother, Mrs. William Badcock, resides at Shearstown with her son, Ernest Spencer. Miss Spencer was here on a short visit about three or four years ago, and called on The Guardian several times. She was full of life and vigor, and at that time was attending College with the object of taking a B.A. degree. A splendid future seemed to be hers had she lived, but God ordered it otherwise. A brother, William Spencer, resides at Country Road, and another Rev. J.A. Spencer, is pastor of a Meth. Episcopal Church at North Creek and North River, U.S.A.

A Correction - We wish to make a correction in reference to the death notice of the late William Henry Bradbury, of Shearstown. Besides those mentioned who are left to mourn there is also one brother, Mr. Isaac Bradbury, of Coley's Point and two stepbrothers, Mr. Eli Bradbury, of Country Road and Mr. Chas. Earle, of Shearstown.

Friday, April 25, 1924

Abraham DAVIS, aged 65 years, a resident of Port Union, passed away at Corner Brook on Saturday, April 12th.

Mr. Geo. H. MORGAN, of St. John's, arrived here Saturday last to see his father, Mr. Abraham Morgan, who was very ill. Mr. Morgan was born at Coley's Point, but went to St. John's to live with his family when quite young. He learned the printing trade in the office of the Royal Gazette, working there as foreman pressman until the business was sold to the Trade Printers last year. He is now conducting a printing office himself. Mr. Morgan is an Elder in the Seventh Day Adventist Church, and preached here last Sunday night, taking as his text, "What shall I do with Jesus which is called Christ?" the message was very thoughtful and ably presented and showed the speaker to be a careful reader and student of the Scripture.

Died at Coley's Point, Sunday night, at 10:30 o'clock, April 20th, Abraham MORGAN, aged 83 years. Leaving two sons and two daughters to mourn their loss. Funeral took place Tuesday, April 22nd, at 2:30 p.m., to the C. of E. Cemetery, Coley's Point, Rev. E.M. Bishop officiating.

Friday, May 2, 1924

While enroute to the North West Gander River on Wednesday last, a squall of wind struck their boat throwing Stanley GILLINGHAM and Herbert FRANCIS into the water. Francis managed to reach the shore. Up to this writing the body of Gillingham has not been recovered.

Tragedy at Bell Island - Bell Island, May 1st - Walter DWYER, son of Philip Dwyer of West Wabana, aged 18 years, was electrocuted in No. 3 Mine at 4 o'clock this afternoon. It is believed that he came into contact with the high-tension switch, when 6,000 volts passed through his body. He was well known and a general favorite in Bell Island, a member of the Cadet Corps, and the Cadet goal-keeper at last season's sports. - Daily News

Ashton Joliffe Drowned - On Tuesday, April 21st, soon after the S.S. Canadian Sapper landed at the wharf to discharge machinery for the Humber, the police were notified that Ashton JOLIFFE, Second Engineer, was missing. They at once began a systematic search for the missing man. On Saturday afternoon the body was recovered from the waters of the harbor at the dock premises. It is believed that the young man fell overboard while walking to his room. He was the son of Capt. Jolifee, LeMarchant Rd., St. John's. He was 26 years of age and was well known in athletic circles.

Drowning Tragedy - On April 29th a message was received by the Minister of Posts and Telegraphs from Mr. Kenneth Manuel, Loon Bay, via Campbellton, stating that he had found the body of Patrick CLAIR, of Boyd's Cove, in a water-logged boat in drift ice about two miles from Loon Bay. Clair was a mail courier between Boyd's Cove and Loon Bay. Horatio WELLS, who is supposed to have been with him, is also missing.

Friday, May 9, 1924

Died at Shearstown, on May 7th, after a short illness, Susie Evelyn, beloved child of Ernest and Lizzie SPENCER, aged 2 years and 4 months. Funeral took place at the Meth. Cemetery, Rev. S. Baggs officiating.

Died on Wednesday, April 7th, after a short illness, Emma, daughter of the late Isaac and Mary MERCER, aged 74 years. She is survived by one sister, Miss Jane Mercer, and many other relatives and friends to mourn her passing. Funeral took place today (Friday) to the C. of E. Cemetery, Rev. E.M. Bishop officiating. Mr. J.G. Baggs was undertaker.

Wedding Bells - SPARKES - PETERSON - The marriage of Miss Jennie Sparkes and Mr. John E. Peterson took place at the home of Mrs. Myra Warner, 235 Fairmont Ave., Hyde Park, Mass., on the evening of March 22nd. At 9 p.m. the bridal party entered the drawing room to the strains of the Wedding March, played by Mrs. George D. Appleton, devoted friend of the bride. The house was beautifully decorated for the occasion, the ceremony taking place under a floral bower, in which was hidden a confetti ball. As the bride and groom turned to receive the best wishes of their friends, the bridesmaids pulled concealed cords and the happy couple were showered with confetti. The bride looked charming in a gown of pearl white canton crepe trimmed with very old lace and seed pearls. She wore bridal veil and orange blossoms and carried a bouquet of white roses and sweet peas. The bridesmaids, Misses Pearl Sparkes and Winnie Babcock, wore gowns of old rose canton crepe trimmed with silver lace and carried bouquets of sweet peas and ferns. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Arthur Pittman, of the Glendale Meth. Church, Everett. Mr. Selby Sparkes, brother of the bride, acted as father giver, while Mr. Wm. Sparkes, a younger brother, was best man. Among the honoured guests who attended the reception was Mr. W. Backman, automobile king of Boston. The music for the occasion was furnished by the well-known Allen Dearing Orchestra. The groom's present to the bride was clear-cut crystals, and to the best man gold cuff-links. The bride's gift to her maids was pearls. The numerous presents of cut-glass and silver testify to the popularity of the young couple. Mr. and Mrs. Peterson will reside at 22 Whittemore St., Medford, Mass.

Kingston, Ont., May 5th - The list of graduates from Queen's University include for the degree of Bachelor of Science, Maxwell GOSSE, St. John's, and Robert Hampton MERCER, Bay Roberts.

Friday, May 16, 1924

Died, At 6 o'clock Thursday morning, May 15th, after a long illness, Isaac FRENCH, aged 77 years and 8 months. Leaving a wife, one daughter, Nurse Annie French, of Boston, and one son, James French, police officer, of Everett, Mass., to mourn their loss. Funeral takes place Saturday afternoon, May 17th at 2:30 p.m.

Died - At Everett, Mass., on Tuesday, May 6th, after a short illness, Charlotte, beloved wife of Richard MERCER. Mrs. Mercer, before her marriage was Miss Charlotte Snow, daughter of Henry and Mary Ann Snow, of this town. Left to mourn are a sorrowing husband, mother, father, six children, and six sisters, Mrs. Pleman Thorne, Whalesbrook, T.B., Mrs. Frank Wells, Gooseberry Isld., B.B., Mrs. Elijah Austey, Corner Brook, Mrs. George Squires, Mrs. Esau Mercer and Mrs. John Bishop, of this town. Also one brother, Mr. James Snow, now residing in Everett, Mass., to whom the community extends sincere sympathy.

Died - On Tuesday, May 13th, after a lingering illness, Katie, beloved daughter of Elizabeth and the late Edward RUSSELL, aged 17 years and 4 months. Left to mourn are mother, one sister, Florence, two brothers, Cecil, now residing in Chelsea, Mass., and William. Also one stepsister, Rebecca and one stepbrother, Alexander, residing in Boston, Mass. Also another stepsister, Mrs. Nehemiah Hicks, of Lynn, Mass., and two stepbrothers, Messrs. Robert and Isaac Russell of Lynn and Chelsea, Mass., to all of whom sincere sympathy is tendered. Funeral takes place tomorrow (Saturday).

Issues missing - May 23, May 30

Friday, June 6, 1924

Died - On Thursday night, June 5th, Sarah, beloved wife of John MERCER of Jas., aged 49 years. Left to mourn are husband, four children and a large circle of friends. Funeral takes place tomorrow (Saturday) to the C. of E. cemetery at 2:30 p.m.

Mrs. John WATTS of Harbor Grace was here this week visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Dawe.

Obituary - There passed peacefully away on Tuesday, May 27th, after a lingering illness, John SAMWAYS, loving husband of the late Mary Elizabeth Samways, aged 65 years. Left to mourn the sad loss of a kind and loving father are three children, Fannie, John and Dorothy, and one grandson, Roy; also one brother, Charles of Coley's Pt., one sister, Mrs. William Mugford, of Seattle, Washington.

Died - Accidentally killed on Saturday, May 31st, Thomas, son of Edward and Jemima Sparkes, aged 47 years. Left to mourn are two brothers, William J. and Albert Sparks, three sisters, Mrs. Wm. Snow, Mrs. John Greenland and Mrs. John French. Funeral took place on Monday, June 2nd to the Methodist cemetery, Rev. S. Baggs officiating.

Friday, June 13, 1924

Obituary - There passed peacefully away on Wednesday, June 11th, one of the most respected and well-known members of this community in the person of Mrs. Sophia BARTLETT, widow of the late Capt. Isaac Bartlett, at the age of 77 years. Deceased had possessed a very keen intellect and for some years prior to her marriage engaged in the profession of teaching. She will be remembered by the large number of young people with whom she was always associated. For a number of years past her health had been in a failing condition and on June 11th the end came. Two weeks before her death her niece, Miss Hattie Haldane, arrived from Halifax and was with her at the end. Enclosed in a beautiful casket, the remains went to St. John's by Thursday evening's train for burial. Left to mourn are one adopted son, Hector, one brother, Mr. George Garland, of St. John's, and two nieces, Mrs. Storby, and Miss Hattie Haldane, of Halifax, beside a large circle of friends, to whom sincere sympathy is tendered.

Mrs. Commandant SHEARD and baby, of Burwash, Ontario, arrived here recently, and will spend the summer months with her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John Moore.

Friday, June 20, 1924

Born on June 16th, to Mr. and Mrs. R.I. HOLLETT, Great Burin, a son. Mother and baby doing well.

Died - On Monday, June 16th, of diphtheria, John, beloved child of James and Margaret FITZPATRICK, aged 10 years. Left to mourn are father, mother, one brother and one sister. Funeral took place on Tuesday to the R.C. Cemetery, Rev. Fr. Thibeault officiating.

Obituary - There passed peacefully away at Coley's Point on Saturday, June 14th, after a short illness, Mary Ann, widow of the late Stephen FRENCH, aged 79 years. Deceased had not been in robust health for some time past but the end came after only a week's illness. The funeral, which was largely attended, took place to the C. of E. Cemetery, Rev. E.M. Bishop officiating. The text at the Church Service was taken from 2nd Timothy, chapter, verse 12. Rev. Bishop spoke in the highest terms of the deceased, he having visited her throughout the time of her illness. She possessed the many qualities, which go to make up a loyal friend and good neighbour, and she will be mourned and missed by many who enjoyed her friendship. Left to mourn are four sons, James H., and Charles S. in the United States, Reuben, at Corner Brook and William at home; two daughters, Mrs. John A. Morgan, of St. John's, and Mrs. Thomas Hardy, of Watertown, Mass., U.S.A., also one sister, Mrs. Fannie French of Coley's Point, and two brothers, James H. Stevens, of Canada, and John Stevens of Bareneed. Also 33 grandchildren and two great-grandchildren, besides a large circle of friends to whom sympathy is extended in their hour of sorrow.

Mr. and Mrs. Edward DAWE and little girl, Patricia, arrived from Western Arm, White Bay, this week.

Friday, June 27, 1924

Mr. and Mrs. Shannon CLIFT arrived from St. John's by motorcar on Tuesday evening and will spend their honeymoon, the guests of Mrs. George Hierlihy.

July 4th issue - not published.

Friday, July 11, 1924

Obituary - There passed peacefully away on Sunday, June 29th, at Allston, Mass., after a brief illness, Marion Shears, dearly loved wife of Ernest KELLY, aged 26 years. The deceased left here a year ago to make her home in the United States, where she made many friends who are grief-stricken by her passing. Up until three weeks previous to her death, she had always enjoyed perfect health and to those who attended her it seemed that she had fully recovered, when suddenly she was taken, before medical aid could be summoned she had changed Time for Eternity. The news of her death plunged this community into sadness for by her smiling face and bright personality she won her way into many hearts. A service was held in Brookline, Mass., by Rev. Mr. Luken, prior to the remains leaving for the station to entrain for here. It was largely attended by Newfoundlanders and others to whom the deceased was known. Accompanied by the husband and sister, Mrs. Arthur Snow, the remains enclosed in a beautiful casket, arrived here on Monday night last. A carriage was engaged to convey the gorgeous floral tributes which were sent from the United States. The funeral took place on Wednesday, July 9th, from the residence of Mr. Edward Snow, father of the deceased. A large concourse of mourners, friends and citizens filled the Church of England, Coley's Pt., to pay their last respects. Left to mourn their sad loss are a husband, infant son, father, mother, one brother, Jas. S. Snow, of this town, three sisters, Mrs. Bert Bradbury, Country Rd., Mrs. Arthur Snow, Watertown, Mass., and Pearl at home, beside a large circle of friends to all of whom the sympathy of the community is extended.

Obituary - There passed peacefully away on Sunday morning, June 22nd, after a long and painful illness, Annie, beloved wife of Henry EVANS and daughter of the late Joshua and Rachel Mercer, of Mercer's Cove. The deceased was well-known and highly respected by all. Being of a charitable disposition she was always willing to engage in any good or social work and by her pleasant and kindly manner her circle of friends daily increased. The funeral which was largely attended, took place to the Methodist Cemetery on Tuesday, June 24th, Rev. S. Baggs who officiated at the service, took for his text, Romans, 8th chapter and 8th verse. Left to mourn are a sorrowing husband, three daughters, Mrs. Allen Morgan, Coley's Point, Misses Mary and Lily, at home, two sons, John, residing in Allston, Mass., and Allen, at home, two sisters, Mrs. James French, French's Cove and Mrs. Abram Morgan, Country Rd., two brothers, Messers. William and Thomas Mercer, Mercer's Cove, beside a large circle of friends.

Wedding - SIROIS - SPARKES - Miss Mildred Sirois, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John A. Sirois, 40 High Rock Street, and Gilbert Sparks, son of Gilbert Sparkes, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Sparks, 10 Breed Square, Lynn, Mass., were united in marriage in one of the prettiest of June weddings on Wednesday evening, June 25th, at St. Stephen's church. Rev. Richard G. Preston, assistant rector of the church performed the ceremony, his first one. The bride, prettily attired in white canton crepe, with a hat to match, and carrying a shower bouquet of white bride's roses, was attended by her sister, Miss Eva M. Sirois. The bridesmaid wore pearl gray canton crepe, and carried pink roses. Oscar Hanson was the best man. Nearly 100 relatives and friends attended the reception to the couple at the home of the bride's parents following the ceremony and presented them with numerous gifts, including silverware, cut glass and china. The guest book was in charge of Miss Dorothy Twoomey, with Miss Alice Sirois in charge of the gift room. The ushers were William Brown and John Sirois, Miss Alice Sirois, of Marblehead, presided over the punch bowl with servers as follows: Mrs. Frank Judkins, Mrs. Helen Wells, Mrs. Athemis Twoomey, Mrs. James Gibson and Mrs. George Allen. Midst a shower of confetti and rice, the couple left for Canada on their honeymoon and on their return will make their home temporarily at 40 High Rock Street. The bride who has been a resident of this city for the past 12 years has been employed at the Renton Heel Company for the past three years and is active in affairs of St. Stephen's church as a member of the Fleur de Lis club. Mr. Sparks has made his home in this city for several years, and is a member of West Lynn Lodge of Odd Fellows. He is employed as a clark for the Boston Elevated. (article copied as is in newspaper)

Died suddenly, at Battle Hr., Labrador, on Wednesday, July 2nd, J.T. CROUCHER, J.P., aged 68 years. Left to mourn are a wife (nee Annie Mercer) two daughters and four sons. Interment took place at St. John's on Wednesday, July 9th.

Died - On Sunday night, July 6th, after a brief illness, Abram, beloved son of Mary and the late Isaac FRENCH, aged 19 years. Left to mourn are a mother, four brothers, James, Nathan, George, and Wilfred, two sisters, Lizzie and Mildred. Funeral took place to the C. of E. Cemetery on Tuesday, Rev. E.M. Bishop officiating.

Not published July 18.

Friday, July 25, 1924

Accident at Bell Island - Bryant's Cove Man Loses Life - A fatal accident occurred at Bell Island on Saturday, July 19th, when the cribbing of the coal dump at the Dominion Pier collapsed and one man was killed and several others injured. White the men were engaged in discharging coal from the S.S. Watuka at the Dominion Pier, the cribbing of the coal dump suddenly gave way and when examination was made it found that Robert YETMAN, of Bryant's Cove, aged 49, was found with life extinct, whilst Patrick WALSH and Abraham TAYLOR, both of Cupids, were seriously injured and are now in a critical condition at the Company's Hospital on the Island. John MORRIS, Gregory LONG, Albert LEWIS, M. CUMMINGS, A.J. BISHOP, and Robt. SAUNDERS (of Shearstown) were also injured. Robert Yetman, who was married and had a family of six young children, was well-known by many on the Island and in this Bay. The remains were brought to Bryant's Cove for interment.

Tragic Accident to Express - Mailman and Fireman Killed - The derailment of No. 2 Express, in charge of conductor Nebucett near Cape Ray, Wednesday morning, July 23rd, resulted in the death of Fireman R. PENNY and mail clerk Wm. PERCHARD. The eastbound express made up of two sleepers, one day coach, one dining car, two second class passenger cars and two baggage and mail cars left Port aux Basques at 9 a.m. Wednesday, with 60 first and 30 second class passengers. When about one mile west of Cape Ray the engine tender and baggage car left the rails and tumbled over the embankment. The two-second class cars also left the rails but remained upright. Fireman Penny and Mail Clerk Perchard, who was riding in the engine at the time were killed outright. Engineer LAWLOR was badly scalded by escaping steam and brakesman OSMOND was also caught in the wreckage but his injuries are not serious. The remainder of the train crew and all the passengers escaped without injury. Dr. Barlow of Channel rushed to the scene as quickly as possible and rendered any aid that was necessary. Mail Clerk William Perchard is the only son of Mr. R. Perchard, St. John's, was in his 31st year and leaves a wife and two children. Fireman Penny belongs to Bay of Islands and is married. Tuesday's westbound express was held at St. George's and passengers transferred to the S.S. Kyle about midnight, the train then continued on to take passengers from the derailed train and is due at Brigus Junction at mid-night tonight (Friday). The express will bring the remains of the body of the late Wm. Perchard to be interred in St. John's. The remains of the late Fireman Penny will be interred at Humbermouth, his native town.

Wedding Bells - A quiet but pretty wedding took place at St. Stephen's Church Fall River, Mass., on Saturday, June 28th, when Muriel, daughter of the late Mr. Thomas ADAMS and Mrs. Adams, of St. John's, Nfld., and Jack, son of Capt. Abram and Mrs. PARSONS, of this town, were united in bonds of Holy Matrimony. The bride who looked very pretty in a powder blue georgette dress, with hat to match, was given away by her brother-in-law, Mr. Thomas Day, while her sister, Violet, acted as bridesmaid. After the ceremony the happy couple proceeded to the home of the officiating rector, Rev. E.R. Bailey, formerly of Port de Grave, Nfld., and stayed overnight, returning to Boston, Mass., on Sunday, June 29th. The young couple were the recipients of many beautiful presents consisting of silverware and cheques, which testified to their popularity.

Wedding Bells - JONES-OAKE - The S.A. Citadel of this town, on Wednesday evening, July 2nd, was the scene of a very pretty wedding when Capt. Bramwell Jones of Moreton's Hr., and Capt. Daisy Oake, daughter of Adjt. and Mrs. Oake were joined in holy matrimony. Colonel Cloud, Territorial Commander, performed the ceremony. The bride was attended by Ensign Mary Bishop and Capt. Abbott, and the groom by Capt.'s Butler and Jennings, who ably performed the duties allotted to them. Long before the hour appointed, the Citadel was crowded with friends and well-wishers, for the bride, though here for too short a time, as teacher, has been most successful and has endeared herself to all who knew her, and the groom, though almost a stranger, has made many friends here, who will always have a deep interest in their future welfare. After the ceremony the wedding party drove around the town, returning to the Army school, where many friends had a splendid tea prepared. The school was tastefully decorated and a special place arranged for the beautiful presents, numbering about one hundred and twenty-five, which was a glowing testimony to the high esteem of the young couple. After spending a short time at Moreton's Harbour, home of the groom, Capt. and Mrs. Jones will take up residence at Hant's Hr., their appointment. Their many friends wish them many years of wedded happiness.

SNOOK-BABCOCK- A very pretty and interesting wedding took place June 14th at the home of Mr. Leonard Snook, 66 Freemont Ave., Everett, Mass., the contracting parties being E. Taylor Snook, son of Mr. and Mrs. Israel Snook, and Sarah Winifred Babcock, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John Babcock, of Shearstown, Bay Roberts, Nfld. About two hundred friends and relatives were present. The ceremony was performed by Rev. Arthur Whitehead, of Grace Evangelical Church, Everett, the double ring service being used. The bride was given in marriage by her father, while her brother, Norman, acted as best man. Miss Marjorie Snook, niece of the groom, and Miss Emmie Mercer, of Cambridge, formerly of Shearstown, were bridesmaids. The wedding march from Lohengrin was played by Miss Hannah Parsons of Allston. The bride was gowned in white satin crepe with chantilly lace and pearls. She wore a white tulle veil caught up with orange blossoms and carried a shower bouquet of brides roses and carnations. The ceremony took place beneath an arch of roses. The bridesmaids were dressed in choral silk and carried white roses and sweet peas. The groom's gift to the bride was a beautiful upright piano, while the bride presented the groom with a silver military set. The gifts to the bridesmaids were gold rings set with garnets. The best man received gold cuff links and a gold piece to the father-giver. The gifts received by the bride were numerous and beautiful, among them being a purse of gold, also silver, cut glass, aluminum, linen and also a beautiful electric floor lamp which arrived after the wedding. The couple left by Sunday night's train enroute to Newfoundland where they will spend the summer months. They will make their home in Everett after their return.

The sad news came to the Parsonage at the close of the evening service on Sunday night, July 13th, that Mrs. LORENSEN, of Garnish, F.B., mother of Mrs. (Rev.) Baggs and Miss Minnie Lorenzen, had passed suddenly away. The sympathy of the community is with them in their hour of bereavement.

MERCER-MOULTON - At the Salvation Army Citadel, St. John's I., on Thursday, July 3rd, a very pretty wedding was solemnized, the contracting parties being Capt. W.A. Mercer, of this town, and Capt. Lily Moulton, of St. John's. Both of those officers are very popular in Army circles. The bridesgroom for the past six years has taught in the Army's most prominent schools, while the bride has been stenographer at Headquarters to Major R. Tilley, General Secretary for Nfld. The Major conducted the ceremony. The bride was attended by her sister, Miss P. Moulton, and Miss K. Barter, while the groom was supported by Adjt. French and Mr. Frank Moulton, brother of the bride. After the vows had been taken and the nuptial knot tied, speeches were made by Adjt. French, Candidate Barter, Mrs. T. Antle, mother of the bride, the bride and groom, and Colonel Cloud. After the ceremony had been concluded and Capt. and Mrs. Mercer had received hearty congratulations from their host of friends, the party motored around Quidi Vidi Lake, returning to the S.A. College where a splendid repast had been prepared for them by the home league member of the Corps. The bride was the recipient of many costly and useful presents. They will spend their vacation at Bay Roberts prior to their taking up their work at Garnish, F.B., for their new appointment.

Died - On Sunday morning, July 13th, Angela, beloved child of Mr. and Mrs. P.F. DELANEY, aged 5 years.

Mrs. W. T. Bellamy and baby left by Tuesday's train for Grand Falls, where she will visit her mother, Mrs. D.A. O'Flynn.

Obituary - There passed peacefully away on Saturday morning, June 21st, after a short illness, Charles FRENCH, husband of the late Eliza French, Coley's Point, aged 79 years. He leaves to mourn an adopted son, George Rowsell, and family, one sister, Mrs. John James French, of Bareneed, and a large circle of friends. The funeral took place on Sunday, June 22nd, to the C. of E. Cemetery, Coley's Point. The members of Dashing Schomberg L.O.L. of which the deceased was a member, attended in a body. At the church, the Rev. E.M. Bishop chose for his text the 15th chapter of 1st Corinthians and 57th verse.

Friday, August 1, 1924

Died - At Spaniard's Bay, on Thursday, July 31st, Sarah, beloved wife of Edward FINN, aged 63 years. Left to mourn are a husband, one daughter, Mrs. T. Coombs and three sons, Edward, John T., and Richard, of the W.U. Telegraph Co. here. Funeral takes place on Saturday morning, August 2nd.

Sudden Death of Mrs. Malkin - Word was received last Friday night that Mrs. Malkin, wife of the manager of Glynn Mill Inn, Corner Brook, had died suddenly. Mr. and Mrs. Malkin were both English people and have been at Corner Brook but a few months. The funeral took place from the Inn at two o'clock Sunday afternoon and interment was at Curling, Bay of Islands.

St. John's Baby Wins First Prize - On July 31st, the news was received from London that baby John STRANG, of St. John's had won the first prize (?200) in the Empire Bonnie Babies Competition. There were many entrants from Newfoundland and it is indeed an honor to the parents.

Friday, August 8, 1924

Aged Resident Dies - Mr. J. SKINNER, a native of Newfoundland, died recently at Grand Bank, at the age of 104. He was quite active during the latter years of his life.

Died - On Sunday, August 10th, after a long illness, Jane widow of the late William Mercer, aged 79 years. Left to mourn are one son, two daughters, and many relatives and friends. Funeral took place on Tuesday, August 12th, to the C. of E. Cemetery, Rev. E.M. Bishop officiating. * My notes (dates in paper are certainly wrong)

Obituary - There passed peacefully away on Monday evening, July 7th, after an illness of two and a half years, Alice, beloved wife of Henry BOWERING, aged 60 years. The funeral, which was largely attended, took place to the Methodist Cemetery. Rev. S. Baggs, who officiated, took for his text, John 12th chapter, verse 27. Left to mourn are a husband, two sons, Arthur, at home, and Malcolm, at Albany, New York, one daughter, Sophie, at home, two grandchildren, two sisters, and a large circle of friends.

Not published August 15.

Friday, August 22, 1924

Bareneed Notes: - We congratulate Mr. and Mrs. John RICHARDS on the birth of a daughter on Aug. 7th.

There passed away on Tuesday, August 12th, after a short illness, Mrs. William PETTEN, aged 44 years. Left to mourn are a husband, three sons and a large circle of friends. Funeral took place on Thursday, Aug. 14th, Rev. Whitehouse officiating.

We chronicle with regret the death of Robert STEVENS, aged 63 years. Deceased was ill for a long time and the end came on Tuesday, August 12th. He leaves a widow, two daughters and six grandchildren to mourn their sad loss. Funeral took place on Thursday, Aug. 14th, Rev. Whitehouse conducting the service. Bareneed COR

Mrs. A. SULLIVAN, of Boston, Mass., who has been here visiting her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Esau Mercer, returned home by Wednesday morning's train.

Miss Rachel FRENCH, who has been on a visit to her parents, Mr. and Mrs. John French, French's Cove, returned to Boston this (Friday) morning.

Died - At Coley's Point, on Thursday, August 21st, Abraham PARSONS, aged 83 years. Funeral takes place tomorrow (Saturday) at 3 p.m.

Died - At Shearstown on August 17th, after a brief illness, Jane, beloved wife of William PARSONS, aged 43 years. Left to mourn are a husband and 4 children. Funeral took place on Thursday, August 19th, to the C. of E. Cemetery, Rev. E. M. Bishop officiating.

Died - At Shearstown, August 17th, Miss Priscilla CRAMM, aged 77 years. Funeral took place on Tuesday, August 19th, to the Methodist Cemetery, Rev. Chas. Howse officiating. Deceased lady had class tickets of the Methodist Church dating as far back as 1876, showing she had been a devout Christian for a long number of years.

Died - At Shearstown, August 1st, Julia, widow of the late James TITFORD, aged 84 years. Left to mourn are two sons, Isaac and Albert J. Titford, one daughter, and one brother, also a large circle of friends. Funeral took place on Sunday, August 3rd, to the C. of E. cemetery, Rev. E.M. Bishop officiating.

Congratulations - On Saturday, August 23rd, Mrs. Mary A. RUSSELL, mother of Mr. C.E. Russell will celebrate her 90th birthday. Her many friends join in wishing her a happy birthday.

Friday, August 29, 1924

The following teachers left during the week en route to their various appointments, Messrs. Claude HOWSE, Barr'd Island, N.D.B., William MERCER, Long Island, N.D.B., George MERCER, Bishop's Falls, Misses Rita MERCER, Channel, and Emmie SNOW, Newton.

Obituary - There passed away at St. John's on Monday, August 25th, after an illness of only ten days, Robert CROSBIE, aged 45 years. Deceased was well and popularly known in St. John's and in his birthplace, Brigus. Left to mourn are a widow and five children, mother, three brothers, Sir John C. Crosbie, K.B.E., George, residing in the United States, and Walter, of this town, three sisters, Mrs. S.K. Bell, of the Crosbie Hotel, Mrs. Rogers, of Summerside, P.E.I., and Mrs. Woodman, of Charlottetown, P.E.I. To all the bereaved relatives we extend our sincere sympathy. The funeral took place from the residence of Sir. J.C. Crosbie, Devon Place, King's Bridge Road, Revs. T.B. Darby, Hammond Johnson and C.H. Johnson officiating.

Fatal Accident - Woman Loses Life - A very sad accident occurred between 3 and 4 o'clock on Wednesday, Aug. 27th, near Walsh's on the Topsail Road, when Mrs. Anastasia RYAN, Proprietress of the National House, Queen Street, St. John's, was hurled from her motorcar and instantly killed. Mrs. Ryan was the owner of a Ford sedan car and early Wednesday afternoon Constable Graham Trickett, who arrived in St. John's the day before on leave from Belloram, called at the hotel to see ex-Const. Conway. Trickett was also well acquainted with Mrs. Ryan. The deceased lady suggested that they should take a car drive toward Topsail. They left the city about 2:30 o'clock and went west as far as Topsail Hill where a short stop was made before the car turned toward the city again. The car was driven by ex-Const. Conway, Mrs. Ryan seemed in the best of spirits and just at the point where the accident occurred she half stood up, for the purpose of speaking to Conway. It seems that her left hand touched the spring which kept the door closed. At that moment the car swerved, the door flew open and Mrs. Ryan was flung headlong into the street. Trickett made an effort to grab her clothing but it all happened in an instant and he even did not touch her clothing. Trickett ran back and found the woman in a dying condition. She died in a minute or two. Mrs. Ryan was the widow of the late John Ryan, of Holyrood, who predeceased her some years ago. Mr. M.E. Hawco, late Minister of Posts and Telegraphs, is the only surviving relative, to whom much sympathy is expressed on the untimely and sudden passing of his sister.

Not published Sep. 5.

Friday, September 12, 1924

The following teachers recently enroute to their various appointments, Messrs. Clarence GREENLAND, Port Rexton, B.B., Isaac BATTEN, Greenspond; Robert BATTEN, Little Bay; John B. RICHARDS, Kelligrews; Misses Hilda BARTLETT, Harbour Breton, Mabel RICHARDS, Frederickton, B.B., Ida RICHARDS, Southern Arm, B.B., Myrtle BARRETT, Coward's Isld.

The marriage of Annie, daughter of Mr. John F. BOONE, to Rev. Edward F. BENNETT, took place at Bareneed on Wednesday, Aug. 27th. Their many friends wish them a very happy married life.

We congratulate Mr. and Mrs. Albert J. RICHARDS on the birth of a twin (son and daughter).

Also Mr. and Mrs. Thos. H. BATTEN on the birth of a son. - COR

Died - At. French's Cove on Wednesday, Sept. 10th after a very short illness, Eva Maud, beloved child of Jesse and Mary SPARKES, aged 12 years. Funeral takes place today (Friday) at 2 p.m. This case is very particularly sad to the parents and relatives because it was only two years ago when their only son, Clayton, was drowned. The loss is almost unbearable to the mother as her husband is at present on the Labrador. The funeral took place today (Friday) to the Methodist Cemetery, Rev. Chas. Howse officiating. A Guard of Honor from the Girl Guides and the Sunday School was in attendance. (This is two articles I combined)

Died - On Sunday, August 31st, at 8 p.m. after a brief illness, Edward Bradbury HOLLETT, darling baby of Pearl and Robert I. Hollett, aged two and a half months.

There passed away at St. John's on Sept. 7th one of those foremost in Newfoundland Education, in the person of Samuel C. THOMPSON. For thirty-seven years the late Mr. Thompson has occupied the position of Assistant Superintendent of the Church of England Schools. He was well known in Church and Lodge work and the cause of Education has lost an ardent worker. Left to mourn are a widow, four children, Helen, Doris, Caroline and Joan, also 4 sisters and 1 brother, to all of whom sincere sympathy is extended.

Born - On Friday, Sept. 5th, to Mr. and Mrs. A.E. BAGGS, a son.

Born - On Wednesday, Sept. 3rd, to Mr. and Mrs. R. J. MERCER, a son.

Record Jump - We extend congratulations to Mr. Samuel PARSONS, son of Capt. George Parsons, Crane's Brook, who took first place in the Broad Jump at Athletic Assn. Sports, St. John's, on Sept. 10th. Mr. Parsons made a record jump of 18 feet 7 inches.

Issues Missing or Not Published - Sep. 19, 26, Oct. 3, 10, 17, 24, 31

Friday, November 7, 1924

Mr. Lemuel WINSOR, jr., of Sydney, N.S. was here recently to attend the funeral of his father, the late Mr. Lemuel Winsor, sr.

Mrs. William BELBIN, jr., and three children, left for Cambridge, Mass., recently, where they will reside in future.

Friday, November 14, 1924

Married - At Winsor, Ont., Canada, on Saturday, Oct. 18th, 1924, Louise Dawe, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. John MOORE, of this town, to Mr. John VANDERHEIDEN.

Wedding Bells - BROWN - DICKER - A very pretty wedding took place at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Dicker, 74 Sackville Street, Halifax, N.S. on Saturday evening, November 1st, when their youngest son, Albert was united in marriage to Miss Beatrice Brown, second daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. Thomas Brown, of this town. Major McDonald of the S.A. performed the ceremony. The bride looked charming in a gown of white satin and radium lace, with veil and carrying a shower bouquet of pink and white carnations. The bride was attended by Miss L. Dicker, sister of the groom, who wore a gown of white satin and orange, and carried a bouquet of pink and white carnations. The groom was assisted by Herbert Newell. After the ceremony, a wedding supper was partaken of. The gifts were numerous, including silver, cut glass and linen. The groom's gift to the bride was a ruby and pearl ring, and to the bridesmaid, linen and to the groomsman gold cuff links. After a short wedding trip the young couple will reside at 74 Sackville Street. Their many friends wish them many years of happy wedded life.

Friday, November 21, 1924

Married - At St. Matthew's Church on Tuesday, November 18th, Carrie, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Geo. H. BADCOCK, Shearstown, to Harold T. BUTLER, of Kelligrews.

Died - At 2 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 19th, Enid A.H., darling child of H.S. and Mina TIPPLE, aged 2 years and 8 months. Funeral took place on Thursday to the C. of E. Cemetery, Rev. E.M. Bishop officiating.

Friday, November 28, 1924

Died - At St. John's, Nov. 26th, Martha E., widow of the late George Graham CROSBIE, aged 86 years. Left to mourn are three sons, George, of New York, Walter, of this town, and Sir John C. Crosbie, K.B.E. Minister of Finance and Customs; and three daughters, Mrs. Rogers of Summerside, P.E.I.; Mrs. (Hon.) S.K. Bell, of the Crosbie Hotel, and Mrs. Woodman of Charlottetown, P.E.I. Funeral took place from her late residence, the Crosbie Hotel today (Friday).

Fatal Accident at Manuel's Bridge - On Monday, Nov. 24th, it was learned that in a train accident which occurred near Manuel's Bridge shortly after 4 o'clock that morning, Engineer Frederick TIPPLE, aged 26 year was killed instantly and the fireman and conductor barely escaped with their lives. The train, engine No. 11, with five boxcars attached, left St. John's early Monday morning to proceed to Woodfords to join the steam shovel working on that section of the line. The train was making fair progress and upon approaching the side of the Manuel's Bridge, the engine suddenly left the rails, taking the cars over a twenty-foot embankment to the riverbed below. As soon as the news of the accident was received by Manager H.J. Russell, he got in touch with Dr. Paterson and Supt. White, the three proceeding to the scene. Upon examination it was found that life was extinct in the body of Engineer Tipple. A relief train was dispatched to bring the dead and injured and an ambulance was waiting at the station to convey the injured to the Hospital. The remains of the late Mr. Tipple was taken to Carnell's undertaking rooms where preparation for burial was made. Enclosed in a beautiful casket, the body was brought to the residence of his brother, Thomas. After a service at the house held by Rev. A.B. Sterling, the funeral took place to the Railway Station and was largely attended by the officials of the Railway and trainmen, Independent Order of Oddfellows, of which deceased was a member, and many citizens. The body was brought here on Tuesday night to the home of his brother, Harry, from which funeral took place on Wednesday. Rev. E.M. Bishop conducted the funeral service at St. Matthew's, taking for his text James 4, part of verse 14, "What is your life?" Left to mourn are a father and mother, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Tipple, four brothers, George, Thomas, Harry and Austin; one sister, Mrs. J. O'Neill, beside a large number of relatives and friends, to whom sincere sympathy is extended.

Obituary - There passed peacefully away on October 25th, after a lingering illness, Lemuel WINSOR, aged 67 years. Deceased had a wide and varied career. He began work in the mines at Tilt Cove when but nine years of age. At the time of the Indian outbreak he was in Colorado, after which he returned to Michigan, where he engaged in the mining and photograph business. Later he, with his family, returned to Newfoundland and on occasions ran successful photograph businesses at Green Bay, St. John's, Tilt Cove and finally making his home in this town, where he continued his business. In 1918 the late Mr. Winsor went to the West Coast on a prospecting tour for private parties and in a train accident just west of Mount Moriah, received serious injuries from which he never recovered. Left to mourn the loss of a loving husband and kind father are a widow (nee Elizabeth J. Butler, of Clarke's Beach), seven sons, Frederick J., electrician with the United Towns Electrical Co., this town, Lemuel, Arthur, Herman, Walter, Clifford and Bert, residing in Sydney, N.S., one adopted daughter, Mrs. Archibald Bradbury, of this town; also four sisters Mrs. Louie Tilley, Kelligrews; Mrs. Wm. Rogers, Heart's Content; Mrs. Wm. Toms, LaScie, Mrs. John Richards, Tilt Cove; and one brother, John of Kelligrews. The funeral took place on Oct. 27th, to the Methodist Cemetery, Rev. Chas. Howse performing the last sad rites at the funeral of the deceased. Rev. Howse was pastor of the circuit when the late Mr. Winsor and family resided at Tilt Cove, he was on the train, twelve years later, when the accident happened and on going to see who the injured were, found his old parishioner, Mr. Winsor, lying in the wreckage. Six years have passed, and soon after coming here to begin his pastorate, Rev. Howse has the sad and solemn duty of consigning the remains of his old friend to the dust.

Died - On Tuesday, Nov. 25th, Mary Ann, widow of the late Daniel NORMAN, aged 66 years. Left to mourn are one son, Mark, with whom she resided, and two daughters living in United States. Funeral took place on Thursday, Nov. 27th to the C. of E. Cemetery, Rev. E.M. Bishop officiating.

Issue Missing - Dec. 5.

Friday, December 12, 1924

Wedding Announced - The wedding of Miss Bertha HULL, of Twillingate, former teacher in the Methodist Superior School here, but now of the teaching staff of the Academy at Grand Falls, to Rev. Robert F. BELBIN, son of Mr. and Mrs. William Belbin, of this town, is announced to take place at George St. Church, St. John's, on Tuesday, Dec. 30th at 9:30 a.m. Their many friends here extend congratulations.

Mrs. FURNEAUX and her adopted son, George SPRACKLIN, of St. John's are here visiting Mrs. John Mercer, Mercer's Cove.

Rev. Canon LOCKYER Passes Away - To the many who have followed the life of Rev. Canon Lockyer, who was a prominent figure in the Church of England, his passing at the General on Nov. 30th, is a time of deep grief. For thirty-four years he laboured in Nova Scotia and for the greater part of that time was stationed at Port Morien. He spent his vacations at Trinity - his birthplace and from time to time collected information regarding the early history of Trinity, which was published in the "Evening Telegram". In 1917 he was made a Canon of All Saints Cathedral, Halifax, but two years later was compelled to relinquish his duties owing to ill health resulting from a sunstroke. He was predeceased by his wife, who was a sister of His Lordship, Bishop White. The body was conveyed to Trinity where interment was made.

Issues Missing or Not Published - Dec. 19, 26.



Page contributed by Maxine Edwards, May 2004

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday February 20, 2013 AST)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]