Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Guardian - Bay Roberts 1917

Proprietor - C. E. Russell

The Guardian - Bay Roberts
Proprietor - C. E. Russell
MF 5144

Issued every Saturday from the office of publication, Water Street, Bay Roberts. Subscriptions (post free) to any part of Nfld. or Canada, 50 cents per year. To United States, Great Britain, etc., $1.00 per year, postpaid. All subscriptions payable in advance.

Some pages in the original contain flaws and other defects which appear on the film.

Friday, January 5, 1917 Mrs. GEORGE CRITCH went to St. John’s on Wednesday to attend the funeral of her brother-in-law, Mr. GEORGE HARRIS, who passed away on Tuesday last.

Obit – Mr. JOSEPH SMITH passed away at his home 201 Elm Street, Bangor, Maine, on Wednesday, Dec. 13, at the age of 54 years. He had been employed at S.A. Mansfield Co.’s plant for the past 25 years and was their foreman for the past 10 years. He leaves a wife and 1 daughter, Katie, 3 sons, Arthur, William and Henry of Bangor and 1 sister, Mrs. Emily Singleton of Spaniard’s Bay, Nfld. Deceased was formerly a resident of Country Road, Bay Roberts, but made her home in Bangor for the past 20 years. Interment inthe family plot in Mt. Hope Cemetery.

Mr. W.R. CARAVAN, who spent 7 years at Vancouver, B.C., returned home on December 23rd, Mr. Caravan spent 3 days with his brother, Herbert, in Winnipeg, the latter being a corporal in the 190th Canadian Overseas Battalion. He will be spending 2 months here visiting his mother and friends.

Friday, January 19, 1917 WILLIAM GILL, a resident of Conception Hr., called at the police station in St. John’s on Tuesday night last and gave himself up to the police. It appears that a man named ROBERT DALTON, had been keeping company for a considerable time with Gill’s wife and refused to discontinue. Gill’s wife had also been frequenting Dalton’s house. The matter played on Gill’s mind so much that he decided to put a stop to it. A few nights ago, Gill loaded his gun with powder and shot and fired at Dalton, apparently near Gill’s house, because in discharging the gun his own little ten year old boy ran around the corner in the direction the firearm was pointed at Dalton and received the load in the body. The boy, however, is not seriously wounded. Next morning after giving himself up, Gill was arraigned before Mr. Morris K.C., J.P. and charged with shooting with intent to kill and murder the said Robert Dalton.

Mr. JAMES SNOW, barber, of St. John’s, passed away on Sunday last. Cause of death was pneumonia. He was a native of Bay Roberts, son of the late John and Susan Snow. Deceased leaves a wife and three children to mourn their loss. Interment took place Tuesday in the General Protestant Cemetery.

A very quiet wedding was solemnized on Wednesday, January 10th, when Miss SUSIE MERCER, daughter of the late Capt. Isaac Mercer, was united in the bonds of matrimony at the Central Methodist Church by Rev. S. Bennett, to Mr. WILLIS SMITH, son of Mr. John Smith, Coley’s Point. The bride was assisted by Miss Virtie Smith, sister of the groom, while Mr. James White, cousin of the bride supported the groom.

Friday, January 26, 1917 Capt. and Mrs. Henry DAWE , announce the marriage of their daughter, BEATRICE, to Mr. JOHN DAW, to take place Thursday, 15th day of February at St. Matthew’s Church, Bay Roberts.

Died at Country Road on Wednesday, January 24th, after a long illness, JOHN MERCER, son of Naomi and the late John Mercer, aged 34 years. Leaving a wife, one child, mother, one brother and three sisters to mourn their loss. Funeral takes place tomorrow, Saturday.

Died on Tuesday, January 23rd, CAROLINE CALPIN, beloved wife of Thomas Calpin, leaving a husband, one son and three daughters to mourn their loss. Funeral took place to the C. of E. cemetery, Coley’s Point, Thursday.

Died on Friday, January 19th after a long illness, MARY BROWN, beloved wife of John Brown, aged 78 years. Leaving a husband, three sons, Thomas and John of Bay Roberts, Albert of Vancouver, B.C., one brother, Elijah Earle, Country Road, 12 grandchildren, 2 great grandchildren to mourn their loss. Funeral took place Monday, January 22nd to the C. of E. cemetery.

The sudden death of Mr. JOHN MOSDELL of Bay Roberts East occurred on Sunday last. The deceased went into the country on Wednesday, January 17th with his horse and cart for a load of boughs. After he had the load cut and on the cart, he found he had left his ax behind, while returning for it, he stumbled falling forward, his body striking heavy against the stump of a tree. After a while, he managed to get back to the road and getting on the boughs, he drove home. The day was very cold and he was suffering intense pain. What he suffered from cold and pain must have hastened his end. He died on Saturday, January 21st. He leaves a wife, three sons, William and George of Washington, D.C. and Edward of Vancouver, B.C., one sister, Mrs. Otto Grimm of Hr. Grace, two step-daughters and a number of grandchildren to mourn their loss. Funeral took place on Wednesday , January 24th, to the Methodist Cemetery.

When the funeral of the late JOHN MOSDELL was taking place on Wednesday, Mr. Samuel NORMAN, owner of the land over which the corpse and funeral procession had to pass, in order to reach the gravesite, notified the driver of the hearse not to go over his land, the order was disobeyed with the result that four citizens attending the funeral had been summoned to Court on Thursday next on a charge of trespass.

Arrived on board the Briton on December 4th, and was stricken with scarlet fever on Christmas Day, WILLIAM KIRBY did not live to see active service, but he nevertheless played loyal citizens part by volunteering for the defence of his country. A young Naval Reservist, WILLIAM ALMA KIRBY, of Harbor Buffett, P.B., passed away at the Fever Hospital in St. John’s on Saturday last. He was buried in the S.A. Cemetery on Sunday. The remains being drawn on a gun carriage by Naval Reservists. Deceased was only 18 years old.

Mrs. Jane French, widow of the late John French, passed away at the residence of her son, THOMAS FRENCH, Coley’s Point on Thursday. Funeral takes place on Saturday.

Friday, February 9, 1917 Died suddenly on Tuesday, February 6, MARGARET, beloved wife of Samuel E. MERCER, painter, aged 36 years. Leaving a husband, two children, a father, three brothers and one sister to mourn their loss. Funeral took place to the S.A. cemetery, Thursday.

Passed peacefully away at Port de Grave, Sunday, January 28th, ANN MARIA, widow of the late Capt. Henry DAWE, aged 78 years. Deceased was the sister of Capt. Az. Smith of Cupids. Funeral took place January 31st.

Died at Spaniard’s Bay on Tuesday, February 6, after a short illness, MARIA, wife of John SHEPPARD, and widow of the late Isaac BRADBURY of Coley’s Point, aged 64 years. Leaving a husband, one son, Edward Bradbury of Coley’s Point, two brothers, Richard and John Earls of Shearstown to mourn their loss. Funeral took place to the C. of E. Cemetery, Spaniard’s Bay, on Thursday.

Died at the Dock, Bareneed, on Monday after a long illness, ALEXANDER, beloved son of Isaac and Jessie BATTEN, aged 16 years and 2 months. Funeral took place on Thursday to the Methodist Cemetery.

Died at Country Road, Thursday, JANE, wife of the late Jonathan PARSONS, aged 80 years. Leaving two sons and four daughters to mourn their loss. Funeral took place to the C. of E. cemetery at Coley’s Point, Saturday.

Died Thursday, February 1, after a long illness, ELIZABETH JANE FRENCH, widow of the late John French. She passed peacefully away at her home, Coley’s Point at the ripe age of 76 years. She leaves to mourn their sad loss, three sons, John, James and Thomas, three daughters, Mrs. Nicholas Dawe, Mrs. Wm. J. Russell, Miss Eliza French, one brother, Mr. James Bradbury, two sisters, Mrs. John Dawe, Topsail and Mrs. Fanny Hampton, Bareneed, 13 grandchildren. Funeral took place to the C. of E. cemetery, Saturday, Feb. 3rd.

Friday, February 16, 1917 The little five year old boy of Edward and Edith SNOW of the Broad, South River, was burned so badly about the body on Wednesday, February 7th, that he passed away the same night. The father rose early to go into the country for wood, the little one following him into the kitchen. Mr. Snow lit the fire, then went to the stables to feed his horse. During the father’s absence the child’s clothing caught fire, before assistance arrived, his little body was burned. It was only 2 or 3 winters ago the parent suffered the loss of a little four year old girl, through drowning.

Mr. John Barrett of French’s Cove was officially advised from Ottawa only last week that his son, WILLIAM BARRETT, with the Canadians in France was killed. He received private advice last summer from another son, John, also with the Canadians, that his brother, William, was killed.

Died February 10th, after a long illness, Capt. ELIJAH MERCER, aged 64 years. He is survived by a wife, one sister, Mrs. Susannah Earle of New Westminster, B.C. Funeral took place on Monday, Feb. 12th. to the C. of E. cemetery.

Friday, March 2, 1917 Passed peacefully away at the residence of his son, Esau, French’s Cove, on Saturday, Feb. 24th, after a short illness, ESAU BADCOCK, aged 78 years. Leaves to mourn their sad loss, three sons, Robert and Esau of Bay Roberts, Thomas of Seattle, Washington, U.S.A., three sisters, Mrs. Robert Dale, Mrs. Isaac Mercer, Mrs. J. Kearley, also one brother, Mr. John Badcock. Funeral took place Wed. to the Methodist cemetery.

Died at the residence of her daughter, Mrs. John Peddle, Spaniard’s Bay, MARY DELANEY, widow of the late Martin Delaney, Bay Roberts, aged 60 years. Leaving to mourn four sons, Matthew, at Port Marion, C.B. John and Martin at Sydney, C.B., Sylvester at Boston, Mass., one daughter, Mrs. John Peddle, Spaniard’s Bay, one step-brother, William L?(too faint to read) of Carbonear. Funeral took place to the R.C. Cemetery, Bay Roberts, Feb. 26th.

Died at Mercer’s Cove, Friday, Feb. 23rd, after a short illness, WM. JAMES MERCER, son of the late James and Amelia Mercer, aged 47 years. Leaving a wife, one child, one sister and one brother, John of Millinocket, to mourn their sad loss. Funeral took place to the Methodist cemetery, Monday, Feb. 26th.

Died on Sunday, Feb. 25th, EMMA SNOW, beloved wife of Joseph Snow, aged 50 years. Leaving a husband and adopted son and daughter-in-law, five sisters, Mrs. James J. Taylor, Mrs. Eli Butler and Mrs. George Bishop of Cupids, Mrs. Robert Dawe, Ship Cove, Port de Grave and Mrs. William Burton of Shambler’s Cove, B.B. Funeral took place Wed., Feb. 28th, to the Methodist Cemetery.

Died on Tuesday, Feb. 6th, at the residence of his sister, Mrs. W. Cooper, 585 St. Clarens Ave., Toronto, FRANK JOSEPH GUSCOTT, in his 56th year. Funeral took place from the above address on Tuesday, Feb. 8th to Prospect Cemetery.

Friday, June 22, 1917 Privates HAYWARD NORMAN, son of Capt. Henry Norman and PERCY MERCER, son of Mr. and Mrs. John Shears Mercer of the Nfld. Regiment, were among the number belonging to Bay Roberts reported killed since the last issue of the Guardian, April 27th.

FRANK DAWE, son of Capt. & Mrs. John Dawe, Coley’s Pt., is reported missing. He was in the battle fought at Monchy. A number of the missing have been reported as prisoners in Germany, it may be Frank is among the number.

Obituary – At Bay Roberts, Saturday, June 16th, passed away after a long illness, THOMAS SAMUEL CALPIN, aged 84 years. Mr. Calpin was second son of the late Charles Calpin of Gillingham, Dorsetshire, England, and Louisa Calpin. Deceased leaves one son, Charles of Buffalo, N.Y. and three daughters, Mrs. R.S. Mercer, Coley’s Pt., Mrs. R.W. Myers, Bay Roberts and Miss Ida Calpin of St. John’s, two brothers, Josiah and Charles of Bay Roberts and one sister, Mrs. Louisa Caldwell of St. John’s. Mr. Calpin was a very skilful mechanic, the original inventor of the Calpin Stockless Anchor. Funeral took place Sunday from the residence of his son-in-law, R.W. Myers, to the Coley’s Point Cemetery, where he was laid to rest beside his wife, the late Caroline Calpin, who predeceased him five months.

Obituary – On Monday, June 4th, the death angel came to a residence at Mercer’s Cove and took from our midst RACHEL, widow of the late Joshua MERCER, she leaves two sons, William and Thomas, married and residing in the neighbourhood, also three daughters, Mrs. Henry Evans, town, Mrs. James French, French’s Cove and Mrs. Abraham Morgan, Brigus Road, also 12 grandchildren, one sister, Mrs. Edward Badcock, Shearstown. Deceased had been ill but a few weeks. Funeral took place to the Methodist Cemetery.

Friday, June 29, 1917 In our last issue we stated that Pte. PERCY MERCER, of the Nfld. Regt. was killed in action. We now find we were in error in making that statement. Percy was reported as missing and our earnest hope, he may yet be reported among the prisoners who are in Germany.

Pte. HERBERT BELBIN, son of Mr. & Mrs. Wm. Belbin of Country Road, is reported officially as prisoner of war in Germany. His mother had a postcard from him recently, and he told her he had a slight wound to his arm.

Mr. John Mercer received a message on Thursday, stating that his mother, Mrs. ELI MERCER, who was on her way home from B.C., accompanied by her daughter, Mrs. Mark Gosse, had died at Montreal on Wednesday last, June 27th. The body will likely be brought here for interment.

Born at the Methodist Parsonage, Channel, on the 16th inst., a daughter, to Rev. G.L. & Mrs. MERCER.

Married at St. Thomas’s Church, June 25th, by the Rev. C.A. Moulton, MARY BRADLEY PATTEN, to FREDERICK DUFFIELD SMITH.

The marriage of MRS. ANNE JACKSON, Coley’s Point, to Mr. ISAAC GOSNEY, son of the late Robert and Hannah Gosney, took place at St. Paul’s Church, Hr. Grace, on June 20th. The knot was tied by the rector, Rev. W.R.G. Higgitt. Mrs. James Titford acted as bridesmaid, while the groom was supported by Mr. Titford. Mr. Gosney was one of the number who left here about 19 years ago and went to the Crow’s Nest Pass, during this period has resided in Greenwood, B.C. He returned home April last and will likely remain here.

Friday, July 6, 1917 The marriage of Mr. R. J. BEMISTER and Miss HILDA JARDINE took place at St. Matthew’s Church, Wednesday last. .

Mrs. J.B. MUGFORD of Port de Grave went to the Mental Hospital at St. John’s on Tuesday to receive medical treatment.

EDWARD RUSSELL of Bay Roberts West, son of the late Isaac and Catherine Russell, passed away this Friday morning. Deceased was stricken with the fourth attack of paralysis a few days ago.

Friday, July 13, 1917 GORDON BISHOP, little son of George and Mary Bishop, Bishop’s Beach, Bay Roberts East met with a very bad and painful accident on Thursday by falling over a cliff. Both arms were broken and one of his eyes was badly injured when he fell, one arm was so badly injured it had to be amputated at the wrist. Dr. McCloud attended to the boy’s injuries, the father, we learned, was out on the fishing grounds hauling his traps when the accident to his son occurred. (further info July 27th)

No. 3618, Private JOHN BRADBURY, son of Charles and Emma Bradbury of Shearstown, who enlisted with the Nfld. Regiment April last, is seriously ill of peritonitis, at Barry Camp, Ayr, Scotland. A message to this effect was received by his father from the Colonial Secretary on Sunday last. Another brother, Robert, who was home on furlough recently is serving in the Navy.

Friday, July 20, 1917 A sad accident occurred in number one slope of the Dominion plant on Friday, July 13th, in which DENIS POWER, aged 17 years, of Butlerville, Shearstown, was killed. The young man was engaged driving the air hoist and must have left his position at the throttle to make some repairs while the engine was in motion. His clothes evidently got caught in the winding rope which carried him over the drum and crushed him to death. His remains were brought over from the island (Bell Island) on Saturday. The funeral took place Sunday. Deceased was the eldest son of Michael and Sarah Power. He leaves to mourn their sad loss, one brother and five sisters.

Mr. W.J. ENGLISH, Manager & Editor of the Bell Island Miner, passed away suddenly on Wednesday after a short illness.

Friday, July 27, 1917 The little boy BISHOP who met with the accident is not so seriously injured as was first thought, his eye will be saved and the doctors found it possible to save the child’s hand.

Died at Coley’s Point, July 6th, after a long illness, NELLIE, daughter of Capt. John and Caroline DAWE, aged 18 ½ years. Funeral took place on Sunday to the C. of E. cemetery.

Died Friday, July 6th, after a long illness, EDWARD RUSSELL, son of the late Isaac and Catherine Russell, aged 70 years. Leaving a wife and 8 children to mourn their loss. Funeral took place to the Methodist Cemetery, Coley’s Point, Sunday, July 8th.

Word was received on Saturday that Pte. BALLINGTON STEVENS, of the Canadian Regt., was killed somewhere in France sometime ago. Pte. Stevens was the son of Julia and the late Azariah Stevens, formerly of Bareneed, but for a number of years residing in New Glasgow, N.S. Another brother, Maxwell, is also with the Canadians at the Front.

Mr. JOHN JONES of Shearstown passed peacefully away on Tuesday last, aged 57 years. Funeral took place on Thursday to the C. of E. cemetery.

Thursday night, Premier Morris received a message from Genreal Manager J.J. McDougall of the Dominion Coal Co. at Sydney, giving the names of the killed a tSydney Mines and the places to which they belonged as follows: ARTHUR KELLOWAY, GEORGE E. PARSONS, EUGENE KELLOWAY, RUEBAN PENNEY, J.H. ROSE, WILLIAM J. PEACH and WILLIAM T. PARSONS, all from Salmon Cove, B.D.V. (Bay de Verde); NELSON MILLEY, THOMAS MILLEY, THOMAS CSRUMMEY and JOHN R. WHELAN, from Western Bay, B.D.V.; MICAHEL O’LEARY and TIMOTHY FAHEY from Small Point, near Western Bay; SILAS REYNOLDS from Perry’s Cove, B.D.V.; GEORGE H. BUTT from Freshwater, B.D.V.; WILLIAM SNOW and GEORGE W. BUTT from Victoria, Carbonear District; JOSEPH L. BUTT from Carbonear; ISAAC BOONE from Salmon Cove, Clarke’s Beach.

On Wednesday, June 27th , the marriage of Miss LEONA RISLEY, only daughter of Mr. and Mrs. E.E. Risley to the Rev. ALLAN G. BOWERING took place at the Presbyterian Church at DeKalb Junction, N.Y. The Rev. W.C. McIntyre, Pastor of the Presbyterian Church of Ogdensburg, performed the ceremony. The bride entered the church accompanied by her father and preceeded by the Matron of Honor, Mrs. A.J. Penney of Hemelton, the bridesmaids, Miss Katherine Berd of Malone, Miss Ruth Briggs of Gouverneur.

Died on Sunday, July 8th, after a long illness, MYRTINA HUSSEY, daughter of Nathan and the late Mary A. Hussey, aged 7 years. She leaves to mourn their sad loss, father, three brothers, grandfather and grandmother, Mr. and Mrs. Jos.Yetman.

Passed peacefully away on Monday, July 23rd after a brief illness of brain fever GORDON WALLACE, aged 9 ½ years, darling child of W.F. & M.J. BARRETT, Mercer’s Cove. Leaves father, mother, two brothers and two sisters. Interment at the Methodist Cemetery, July 25th.

Mr. ANGUS CRANE and bride, nee Miss B. GEORGE, are here this week on their honeymoon, guests of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur George.

Mr. John BARRETT of French’s Cove received a letter on Tuesday from his son, JOHN, who is with the Canadians somewhere in France. He reported himself as being well, the rumour sometime ago about him being killed, was happily false.

Friday, August 3, 1917 Terrible Train Accident – A 14 year old boy may lose both legs, falls under moving cars in attempt to steal a ride. Evening Herald, July 31. EDWARD HURLEY, 14 years old, Patrick Street, was the victim of a terrible accident at the Reid Co.’s railway yard last night and now lies in a precarious state in the General Hospital, where one of his legs has been amputated and the other is badly mangled, that it may be found impossible to save it. The Shore train had arrived a few minutes previously and as cars were backed down the station and being shunted onto the siding (the ink was too faint to read the remainder).

Died at the General Hospital, St. John’s, Friday, July 20th, JESSE MERCER, aged 63 years, son of the late Richard and Ann Mercer, Mercer’s Cove. Leaving a wife, one daughter and six sons to mourn their sad loss. Funeral took place to the C. of C. cemetery, Sunday, July 22.

Friday, August 10, 1917 Born on August 8, 1917, a son to Dr. and Mrs. H.S. ATKINSON.

Died on Sunday, July 29th, after a short illness, REBECCA, beloved wife of Israel MERCER, Jr., Mercer’s Cove, aged 30 years. Leaving a husband, three children, mother and four sisters to mourn their loss. Funeral took place to the Methodist Cemetery, Tuesday, July 31st.

Killed suddenly at Trenton, N.S., on July 11th, GEORGE WILLIAM BRADBURY, aged 25 years. Beloved husband of Fanny Bradbury and youngest son of George and Louisa Bradbury, Coley’s Point. Leaving a wife, father, mother, two brothers and one sister to mourn their sad loss.

Friday, August 17, 1917 Born at Coley’s Point, August 10th, to Mr. and Mrs. JOHN SNOW (Baggs), a son.

Died Saturday, August 11th, at Denver, Colorado, KATE HALLIDAY (Kitty), beloved wife of Mr. Benjamin GREEN, formerly of Brigus.

Friday, August 24, 1917 The death occurred on Sunday, August 19th, of FRANCIS DAWSON O’NEILL, second son of James O’Neill, Esq., of this town. Frank was a polite little fellow of 18 months and up to a week previous to his death possessed a robust constitution. Young brother, John, having predeceased him by three months, makes the death doubly hard on the parents. Interment took place to the R.C. cemetery, on Monday.

The following message was received by Mr. Isaac Kelly, Coley’s Point, on Thursday, “Regret to inform you that Record Office, London, officially reports No. 2854 Pte. ERNEST KELLY is at St. John Ambulance Brigade Hospital, Etaples, France, suffering from gunshot wounds, left hand and left eye. Upon receipt of further information, I shall immediately wire you and trust that next report will be of his convalescence”. R.A Squires, Colonial Secretary. Ernest enlisted with he Nfld. Regt. in Spring, 1916 and went across to Ayr in Aug. 1916. He has been in several fights, but this is his first accident.

Friday, August 31, 1917 Passed peacefully away in N.Y. hospital on the 21st inst., EDITH, beloved daughter of Rev.W.C. & Mrs. SHEARS, Forestville, Prince Georges County, Maine, U.S.A.

Died on Wednesday, Aug. 29th, ROY W., infant son of Stephen and the late Jane BOWERING, aged 4 months.

Died on Thursday, August 30th, BAXTER, darling child of William and Clara BOWERING, aged 3 months.

A very pretty wedding took place at St. Mary’s Church, Glace Bay, C.B. on August 7th, when Miss LORENA MERCER, daughter of John and Selena Mercer, Mercer’s Cove, was united in marriage to Mr. WILLIAM T. KING, of New Aberdeen, C.B. The bride was given away by Mr. L. Evely of Carbonear. She was attended by Miss Effie Corkum, while Mr. Jabez King, brother of the groom, acted as best man. Mr. and Mrs. King will reside at New Aberdeen.

September 28, 1917 Born at Spaniard’s Bay, September 12th to M.M. YOUNG, M.H.A. and Mrs. Young, a son.

Died Sept. 10th, after a lingering illness, THOMAS BROWN, Jr., son of John and the late Mary Brown, aged 55 years. Leaving three sons, three daughters, father and two brothers to mourn their loss. Funeral took place Wed., Sept. 12th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Died on Friday, Sept. 14th, JAMES BISHOP, Coley’s Point, aged 67 years. Leaving a wife, three sons, Isaac, at home, Arthur in the U.S., Allan, Joe Batt’s Arm, teacher; three daughters, Mrs. Samuel Kingsley, Mrs. George H. Rowsell, Coley’s Point, Mrs. Robert Butler, Port de Grave, three sisters, Mrs. Robert Noel, Port de Grave, Mrs. Charles LeDrew, Brigus Gullies, Mrs. William J. Dawe, Burnt Head and 9 grandchildren. Funeral took place Sunday to the C. of E. cemetery.

Died at Coley’s Point, Sept. 9th, WILLIAM LITTLEJOHNS, aged 83 years, leaving two sons and three daughters.

Died at Coley’s Point, Saturday, Sept. 8th, after a long illness, WILLIAM GREENLAND, aged 35 years, son of Henry and Hannah Greenland, leaving a wife, two sons and one daughter to mourn their loss. Funeral took place Sept. 11th to the C. of E. cemetery.

Died at Juggler’s Cove, Wed., Sept. 12th, after a lingering illness, ELLEN, wife of Tobias CRITCH, and daughter of Moses and Joanna EARLE, aged 26. Leaving to mourn their loss, a husband, two children, a father and mother, and four brothers. Funeral took place to the C. of E. cemetery.

Friday, November 9, 1917 Deputy Minister of Justice Summers received the following message, Wednesday, from Judge Oke of Hr. Grace: “HENRY BARRETT, aged 45, married, was found dead yesterday on the New Harbour Road, a short distance from his home. He went in for wood the day previous. Friends supposed he sheltered from the storm and did not seek him until yesterday. It is supposed he became exhausted.

Married at Cochrane Street Methodist Parsonage on Saturday, 20th October, by the Rev. Dr. Bond, WILLIAM R. DAWE, R.N.R., Bay Roberts, to MINNIE ROSE EDGECOMBE, St. John’s.

Died at Shearstown, Oct. 12th, after along illness, MARY ANN, beloved daughter of John and Mary Ann PARSONS, aged 19 years. Her father, mother and one brother are left to mourn their sad loss.


Page Transcribed and Contribited by Maxine Edwards (November, 2001)
Page Revised by Don Tate (November 2001)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2019)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]