Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

1904 Free Press (Vol.4)
March 1904

Printed every Tuesday St. John's, Newfoundland, Price 2 cents
Posted with permission from the Family Tree Group Organization
Grand Falls-Windsor

Family Tree Group



Mar 1, 1904 


Correspondence from Leading Tickles

Northern Mail maters
Editor Free Press

Dear Sir - I would request permission through the medium of your valuable paper to say a few words re our winter mails.

Having been shut off from all intercourse with the outside world for the space of 24 days one would naturally be under the apprehension in these modern and go ahead times that new empires had arisen, or that old ones had sunk into oblivion. The great continental Bear with stealthy strides advancing may have laid its imperial paw not only on the territories of the far east, but also annexed our own fair kingdom while we "through delay in the mails" would have no means to receive the warning cry "Flee ye to the mountains' or "Hide in the caves of the earth". Alas we would but have formed so many tidbits in the royal break of the August Bruin.

I would suggest that the old winter route for Leading Tickles mails be discontinued. As any person who cares to look at a map or local chart can see New Bay, across which our mails now come, is altogether open to the ocean seas and Arctic ice-floes. The bay is alternately breaking up and catching over with black slob across which no man can come. Should the mailmen arrive at New Bay during one of those bad periods they leave our mails there and go back to the other end of their beat only to arrive again at New Bay and find some other unfavorable circumstance existing.

Would it not be better to forward our mails from Norris Arm via Botwoodville and South West Arm then we could get our regular weekly mails without interruption as the only arms on that route to be crossed are still waters and frozen very early in the fall, reaming to till late in spring.

I sincerely hope the postal authorities will give this matter their early attention and rectify an error, the disadvantage of which we have long borne in silence.

Thanking you, Mr. Editor,

I am,

Yours truly,
Leading Tickles, Feb 9th 1904



At Fermeuse recently a little girl named KENNEDY, aged 2½ years, was burnt to death. With the other children the mother had left her in the house while she went to a vegetable cellar, and it is supposed that the child must have gone too near the kitchen stove and caught her clothing on fire. When the mother returned the little one was lying on the floor, with nearly all her clothing destroyed and the flesh burnt and charred almost beyond recognition. Dr. FREEBAIRN was summoned but nothing could be done for the child, and in a couple of hours it passed away.



BURT - On the 25 ult., at 9 Hamilton St., a son to Mr. and Mrs. BURT

BEER - On Saturday last, the wife of Mr. John BEER of a daughter.



TUCKER-Clarke - On the 23rd ult., at the C.C. Cathedral by the Rev. Canon CARTWRIGHT, Mr. Charles TUCKER to Miss Livey CLARKE, both of this city.



MAHER - On Feb 26th, in her 83rd year, Jane, relict of the late Edward MAHER.

COLE - On the 25th ult, after a long illness, Mrs. James COLE, aged 48 years.

McDONALD - On the 23rd ult., Ethel, darling child of W.H. and Mrs. McDONALD.

DUGGAN - At La Scie, St. Barbe, on the 23rd ult, of pneumonia, Daniel DUGGAN, Esq., Magistrate of above place, aged 75 years.

JACKMAN - On the 23rd ult., after a long illness, Philip JACKMAN, aged 78 years, a native of Renews.

HIBBS - At Kelligrews, on the 22nd ult., after a long and painful illness, Mrs. John HIBBS, eldest daughter of the late Richard and Elizabeth PARMITER, aged 69 years.

ROGERS - On Feb 24th, of bronchitis, Hettie Electra, darling child of Joseph and Bertha ROGERS, aged 7 mos.

WALSH - At Kelligrews, on 29th ult. After a short illness, Philip WALSH, an old and respected resident of that place.

RYAN - On the 21 ult., Nellie, darling child of John and Minnie Ryan, aged 7 years and 8 months.

DAWE - At Cambridge, Boston, on Feb 10th, Mrs. Patience DAWE, a native of Newfoundland, and mother of Mrs. H. TAPPER and sister of Mrs. George BUCHANAN.

PENSTON - On the 25th ult., after a short illness, Henry PENSTEN, aged 70 years, a native of Surrey, England.

BRIEN - On the 25th ult., Mary Ann (May) beloved child of John and Mary Brien, aged 3½ years.

SILLARS - On the 27th ult., after a short illness, Chesley Gordon, darling child of Samuel and Maria Sillars, aged 2½ years.

Mar 8, 1904

Carbonear - March 6 - By train on Thursday night arrived he corpse of George MOOTRY, whose death by accident occurred at Glace Bay, B.B. mine, on Friday previous. On arrival the remains, enclosed in a handsome coffin, were taken in charge by the Orange Society and conveyed to their hall where they remained until today when interment took place at 2 pm in the Methodist cemetery. The L.O. Society attended the funeral and their impressive burial service was read at the graveside.


Mr. Jack LADNER, son of the Rev. Chas. LADNER, of Revelstoke, B.C, who was recently killed on the C.P.R. was a young man of exceptional promise. Although quite a young man he was placed in charge of the most difficult and dangerous section of the road. His engine was pulling a train of coal cars, when on a steep grade, the train ran away. Mr. LADNER and his fireman stuck manfully to their posts. A switchman appears to have lost his head, and the result was death. He was buried at Kamloops on Jan 27th, by the Rev. A.E. HETHERINGTON and with full Masonic rites. His father had purposed retiring from the ministry this year, and Jack was building a house for him in Kamloops. The blow is a terribly severe one, but sweetened by the memories of a brave, bright, manly life, and a hero's death. As a sample of young LADNER's clear grit, we may mention that a short time ago, when a comrade had been severely burned, he bared his arms to the scalpel, and allowed long strips of his healthy skin to be transplanted to the sufferer. Jack was a grandson of the late Sheriff BEMISTER, and nephew of the Hon. H.J. B. WOODS of this city. He was about 28 years of age.

The body of George MOOTRY was brought from Glace Bay where he had been killed the previous Friday, by the Glencoe on last Thursday. The deceased worked underground, and his place was to attend to the ore cars. At the time of the accident he was standing near some cars when six others came along at a rapid rate over a gradual incline, having slipped clear of the cable which regulated their speed. MOOTRY stooped to put rollers before the _____, but before he could get away they struck him, jamming him against the stationary cars and killing him instantly. His body was terribly mutilated. Deceased was born in Southhampton, England, as 54 years of age, and is survived by his wife, three sons and a daughter. One son resides here, another at Sydney , and the third at Carbonear where the body was taken, burial taking place there on Sunday.

On Feb 27 at Brooklyn , B.B., a little son of Mr. G. BEST was burned to death. The father was chopping wood in the yard and the mother was visiting a neighbor's house at the time, and it is supposed the little fellow must have stood near the stove and ignited his clothes. Nothing was known of the accident until the father finished his labor when he entered the house to find child writhing in agony on the floor, his clothes all burnt off. Other children were in the house, but were too young to render aid and too frightened probably to inform their parent. The little fellow only lingered a short while after the accident, death relieving him of his sufferings.



KEEFE - on Feb 27, a son to Mr. and Mrs. P.J.KEEFE.

PIKE - on 28th Feb, at Harbor Grace, the wife of George E. PIKE, of a twin - son and daughter.

TIZZARD - On March 3rd, the wife of Mr. John TIZZARD, of a son.

PYNN - on the 5th inst., a daughter to Joseph and Jane PYNN.



ALLEN-ALLEN - In the Methodist Church Topsail, on Feb 24th, 1904 by the Rev. J. HEYFIELD M.M., Miss Winifred ALLEN to Mr. James R. ALLEN, both of Topsail.

THOMAS-PERFECT - At St. Mary's Church, on Jan 27th, by the Rev. C.V. COGAN, Mr. George THOMAS to Miss Bertha PERFECT, both of this city.



ROUD - On the 29th ult., Elizabeth, beloved wife of Capt. William ROUD, aged 54 years.

VOISEY - On Feb 29th, after a long and tedious illness, Richard VOISEY.

MINTY - At Durrell's Arm, on Feb 21st Robert, son of Mr. Joseph MINTY, aged 23 years.

JONES - At Riverhead, Harbour Grace, on Tuesday last, after a long illness, James JONES, aged 58 years.

FURLONG - At Brooklyn , on Feb 29th, William S. FURLONG, aged 29 years.

WILLIAMS - Suddenly of bronchitis, Robert Newton, darling child of Robert and the late Mary A. WILLIAMS, aged 5½ years.

DUFFY - On March 2nd, of convulsions, Willie, darling child of Michael and Mary DUFFY, aged 6 months.

SNOW - On March 2nd, Marion Elizabeth, infant daughter of Gilbert and Isabel SNOW, aged 3 weeks.

PELLEY - At Port Blandford, on Feb 27th, Juanita (Nita), beloved child of Daniel and Eliza PELLEY, aged 1 year and 1 month.

KNIGHT - On the 3rd inst., after a short illness William, beloved child of William and Bridget KNIGHT, aged 6 months.

AUSTIN - On March 4th, Samuel J. AUSTIN, H.M.C., a native of Newton Abbott, Devonshire , England , aged 84 years.

SPRATT - On the 5th inst., after a long illness, Mary, the beloved wife of Thomas SPRATT (mason), aged 58 years.

MEWS - On the 5th inst., after a lingering illness, Mary, twin daughter of the late James L. and Christiana MEWS.

THISTLE - Yesterday morning, after a long and painful illness, Mary, beloved wife of the late Thomas THISTLE, of Carbonear, aged 71 years.

JORDAN - On the 5th inst., at the Convent of Mercy, St. Lawrence, after a short illness, Rev. Mother Cecelia JORDAN, aged 51 years.

DWYER - On Feb 26th at Bell Island , Richard, second son of the late William and Mary DWYER.


City News

The death of Mr. Samuel J. AUSTIN, H.M.C., occurred on Friday morning at his residence Forest Road . Deceased who had nearly reached his 84th year, and was born near Newton Abbot, Devonshire , England , had been connected with the public services of this country for 54 years. As a young man he joined the British Navy and after serving through the war with China , he came to this country. After being in the Customs service for a time, he accepted the position of light-keeper on Harbor Grace Island , but later returned to the Customs' Department, becoming tidewaiter and gauger, continuing in the service up to the time he was taken ill. His funeral took place on Saturday afternoon, being attended by a large number of citizens, and by members of the Masonic fraternity and British Society, of which he was a member.

Mar 15, 1904


Mr. William T. STERRITT died recently at Yarmouth , NS , aged 54 years. For some years he was well known in this country, notably among the lumbering interests, the large concern at Glenwood being owned by him prior to the sale of Lewis Miller & Co. Ill health caused his withdrawal from the Island about five years ago. At no time since did he regain his health and strength. Mr. STERRITT leaves a widow, two daughters and three sons.

CarbonearAnother well-known citizen has passed from amongst us. If refer to Mr. William BADCOCK. Since Christmas he had been failing rapidly and it became evident that the end could not be long delayed. On Monday evening about six o'clock he passed away. Mr. BADCOCK was not a man of robust constitution and had been a sufferer from constitutional troubles for a number of years. He was a man of very decided and firm opinions which he brought to bear upon the discharge of his duties as Chairman of the Road Board and which were the cause of the general acceptance which his services as such found with this community. Interment took place at the Methodist cemetery on Thursday.



HODDER - On the 3rd inst., at Heart's Delight a son to Mr. and Mrs. J.G. HODDER.

VAIL - on the 3rd inst., a son to Mr. and Mrs. M.B. VAIL.

BRUCE - March 8th, to Mr. and Mrs. Charles A.C.BRUCE, a son.

MCKAY - On the 8th of March, a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. James MCKAY.

CHAFE - At St. Mary's on the 22nd ult., the wife of William CHAFE, T.N.C., of a son.

CONROY - Yesterday morning, a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. C. O. N. CONROY.

FOGWILL - On the 13th inst., twin sons to Mr. And Mrs. W. FOGWILL.



COOKE-CHURCHILL - At the Methodist Parsonage, Portugal Cove, on the 20th ult., by the Rev. C. LENCH, Mr. John COOKE, of Golden Ridge Farm, to Miss Sarah CHURCHIILL, of Portugal Cove.



LEARIE - On Mar 5th, Ruby, darling child of John and Fanny LEARIE, aged 8 years.

MORRIS - On the 6th inst., Ethel May, darling child of Archibald and Annie MORRIS, aged 2 years.

COLE - On the 2nd inst., Mary, wife of Thomas COLE, of Colliers C.B., aged 63 yrs.

STRONG On the 8th inst., Charlie, darling child of William and Sarah STRONG, aged 3 yrs and 3 mos.

LAWSON - On the 9th inst. after a long and painful illness, Stephen John, third eldest son of Stephen and Susannah LAWSON, aged 15 years.

MILLER - On March 10th, after a long and tedious illness, Ellen, relict of the late Nathaniel MILLER, aged 65 years.

STEPHENSON - On the 11th inst., after a lengthy illness, Ellie M. STEPHENSON, daughter of Lawrence SHEEHAN, aged 23 years.

BARTLETT - Suddenly, on the 12th inst., Louisa, widow of the late John BARTLETT, aged 69 years.

MEWS - on the 13th inst., Christiana, daughter of the late James L., and Christiana MEWS. The above was the twin sister of Mary whose death was recorded on Monday last, the 7th inst.

BOWDEN - At Sydney, C.B., on the 12th inst., Alice Irene, daughter of the late John and Theresa KELLY, and wife of Shenton BOWDEN.

BERRIGAN - On Sunday, after a long illness, William BERRIGAN, aged 72 years.

HUTCHINGS - On Mar 10th, Levi Alexander, darling child of Eliakim and Mary HUTCHINGS, aged 7 mos.

PEARCE On the 13th inst., Blanch Maude, darling child of William and Mary PEARCE, aged 2 weeks.

LODER - Passed peacefully away, on the 12th inst., after a lingering illness, Eliza Ann, wife of the late S. LODER, aged 63 years.

DEE - At Randolph Mass., on Feb 29th, after a short illness, Elizabeth, beloved wife of Thomas Dee, and eldest daughter of John SIMMS, of this city.

DUDER - On Sunday, at Pernambuco, Arthur Jardine, infant son of Charles R. and Edith DUDER, aged 6 ½ months.

SLOAN - On the 12th inst., after a long and painful illness, Mr. James SLOAN, aged 97 years.

HAYES - On the 14th inst., Annie, fourth daughter of Michael and Mary HAYES.

Four Chinamen arrived from Louisburg by the s.s. Glencoe and intend going into the laundry business here. They arrived at North Sydney from Vancouver , whence they had come from Hong Kong , about a week ago, and was kept in jail there for safe keeping until the sailing of the Glencoe.


Stop Press News

A telegram received by Hon. P.K. BISHOP this morning announces the death of the Rev. John PRATT, of Grand Bank.

There passed away at his residence, Theatre Hill, on Sunday night, Mr. William BERRIGAN. Deceased, who was a well-known and greatly respected resident, had reached the ripe age of 72 years. For the past three months he had been unwell, and his death was not unexpected. A widow, two sons, Patrick and Edward, and one daughter survive him.

Mar 22, 1904


Mr. Robert NORTHCOTT, a young and, until recently, apparently healthy man, has passed to the great beyond. Taken ill about the beginning of this year it was hoped that medical skill would again restore him but Providence has ordered otherwise. The bereaved widow and children have the sympathy of a large circle of friends.


Little Bay

Mar 7 - The Rev. Father LYNCH left here today for Coachman's Cove, district of St. Barbe, by dogs and sled, via Three Arms, Jackson 's Cove, S.W. Arm and Baie Verte - the whole covering a distance of about 60 miles. This will be quite an experimental winter trip, from N.D. Bay , being the fist of the kind ventured by a clergyman. The Rev. Father is on a visit to an old friend, the Rev. Father SHEAN, P.P., Coachman's Cove, who, we are told, was very ill for a time this season.

There is a slight rumor that the mine here will be re-opened in the early part of the summer. It would be a mistake to think that all the copper has been taken out of Little Bay mine. Weather fine at last.



Tilt Cove

Feb 26 - We have had stormy winter, probably the coldest for many years. The thermometer registered 24 degrees below zero on Sunday morning the 21st February.

The settlement of LaScie is mourning over the removal by death of their Magistrate, Mr. DUGGAN. He was ever seeking to benefit the place, and not a little of the prosperous condition of the people is due to his wise counsel.

A concert and tea, held under the auspices of the Church of England, recently, were very successful. Both were largely patronized.

The miners at Baie Verte struck for a payday in the first week of February. They resumed work again after the Manager had explained some difficulties and promised them their pay for March month, in April. It is reported by some of the men that they are to be paid for the months of December, January and February in August next.

The information conveys through your paper that the Government had secured two boats to carry mails and passengers at rates existing prior to the present high prices, has caused considerable satisfaction throughout the settlements. It is felt that the holders of the contract are guarantees of efficiency in this service.




March 8 - This little Town (near Pilley's Island , NDB) has recently been visited by severe affliction. Early on Monday morning, February 1st , two young men, George WINSOR and George FIFIELD, left their homes to go after some seals that were to be seen around the Long Island Lighthouse. What happened to the unfortunate young men no one really knows, only about midday another crew on the same errand found their boat bottom up. No signs of the missing men were to be seen but the cap of one and the cuffs of the other were picked up. It is generally thought that they had killed a large seal and in the effort to get it in their boat they had capsized her. Their fate must to a large extent, remain a mystery until that day when the sea gives up its dead. A heavy gale of wind made the finding of the bodies impossibility. The deceased young men were of one age, 20 years, and had always been close companions. They were both much beloved and respected by one and all in their little town. Their bright and genial disposition and their manly Christian character endearing them to everyone who knew them. The parents, Joseph WINSOR and Philip FIFIELD, are left to mourn their sad loss, and each leaves a wife and one child. The news of the sad accident plunged the whole town into deep mourning - much sympathy is felt for the bereaved families. The deceased were like brothers in life, and in death they were not divided. AMICUS



His Excellency the Governor has been pleased to appoint A.A. PARSON, Esq., (Superintendent of His Majesty's Penitentiary) as Justice of the Peace for the Colony. Rev. William M. MUIR, to be a member of the Methodist Board of Education for the district of Botwoodville, in place of Rev. William A. PALMER, resigned; Mr. Uriah FREAKE, to be a member of the Pilot Commission at Lewisporte, in place of Mr. William G. WOOLFREY, resigned.


The Districts

Eleven Nova Scotian loggers and mill men who had been working for the Timber Estates arrived by train on Thursday and will proceed home. They reported the winter a good one for logging and about 35 million feet have been taken out.


Relieving Officer HUMPHRIES was drowned at Greenspond on Monday of last week. Particulars of the accident are not to hand, but on that night he was reported missing, and search parties were immediately formed. At eight o'clock the following morning his body was found on the bottom in the harbor.



We regret to learn of the death of Mrs. George LASH, which took place in Montreal quite suddenly on Sunday. The deceased lady was mother of Messrs. M. G. and W.H. LASH, only last summer leaving with her second son for the above city, and the news of her death has caused widespread grief among her friends here.



FIELD - On March 9th, a daughter to Mr. and Mrs. E. FIELD.

NOFTALL - on the 16th inst, a daughter to Mr. And Mrs. J. NOFTALL (Painter).

KELLY - On St. Patricks' Day, a son to Mr. and Mrs. Walter A. O.D. KELLY.



MANUEL - PRICE - At the Gower Street Parsonage, on the 17th inst., by the Rev. J.L. DAWSON, Mr. Eli MANUEL, of St. John's , to Mrs. Annie PRICE, of Hant's Hr.



GOODLAND - on the 14th inst., Eden, beloved wife of the late James GOODLAND.

CONNOLLY - On March 15th, Francis J., second son of Michael and the late Agnes CONNOLLY, in his 29th year.

WAREHAM - On Jan 27th, Marion Frances, beloved daughter of George and Martha WAREHAM, Haystack, Placentia Bay, in the 20th year of her age.

SHEA - On the 15th inst., Patrick Justin, fifth son of John P., and Jane SHEA.

PENNEY - on the 15th inst., at Little Bay, Philip PENNEY.

TUFF - On the 15th inst., after a long and painful illness, Clara beloved wife of Joseph TUFF, aged 50 years.

MARE - On the 17th inst., of croup, Helen Margaret Mary, youngest daughter of Robert and Bella MARE, aged 1 yr and 5 mos.

St. GEORGE - on the 16th inst., James St. George, aged 32 years.

KELLY - on the 18th inst., John KELLY (tailor), aged 59 years.

Mar 29, 1904


Mar 19, 1904 - The cold this morning is nearly as severe as ever - 10 below zero. After so much intense cold this winter we may have reasonably expected a mild March. The lowest thermometer registered here for the winter was 25 below (Sunday morning) but it even seemed much colder than this owing to the high wind that prevailed.

The loggers are about finishing up their operation, at least they are preparing for a break up of the winter any day now. The company are well satisfied with the season's work, it being by far the largest ever performed here by any previous company; they have put in well up to for two hundred thousand logs. The company have just completed a large stable to accommodate their increased stock of horses which will be coming from the woods in a few days. They have now eighty horses, and to keep this number from now till next fall will require over thirty bushels of oats and nearly a ton of hay per day, beside other necessaries. One can imagine what a large outlay this lumbering industry requires when this is only an item in the expenses.

A very successful concert took place here on St. Patrick's night. In spite of the stormy day a large audience assembled in the school-house to hear the many performers. It is really surprising to see what talent can be brought out in a small place when an effort is made. There were pieces rendered that would have done credit to a stage in any city, a few of which we cannot refrain from mentioning: - A musical duet by Messrs. SARGEANT on the harmonica; this was something grand, and to this place something new. It is just marvelous what music can be brought out of these little instruments. A dialogue by Misses EVANS, Miss MANUEL, and Miss WHITEWAY, from Northern Arm. Professional artists could have acquitted themselves no more creditably. Songs by Miss PALMER, Miss BENDLE, Miss EVANS, were especially well rendered. After two hours of enjoyment the entertainment closed by singings "God Save the King."



Moreton's Harbour

Since my last contribution of news items from this place ten weeks have sped their way into the past that never can return. They have been weeks of cold, frosty weather, all but incessantly so, with continuous high winds....... The great topic for a little while, since Monday week, the 29th February , (was it the leap year day that we have not had for eight years, that need such commemoration?) Has been a robbery of a most daring, calculating and ingenious kind. We are now wanting a Sherlock Holmes to bring the culprit or culprits to justice. Report says we are to have a detective to try what he can do; and we will sincerely hope he will come and succeed, barring, of course, I daresay, the guilty party. Well, on the night in question, in the Orange Hall at this place - had one been there to see - there was the unknown individual busy in candlelight with bit and brace at the strong-box of the Arctic Lodge, making between forty and fifty holes in the outer box, in like manner boring through the side-strips that held the lid of box N. 2, then bursting open the cash box below, and transferring to his own proper self what did in no ways belong to him to the tune of one hundred and forty seven dollars, the thief being wise enough to leave behind notes and cheques that might incriminate him. Having appropriated to the extent named he departed, and left no trace behind that can be relied upon to find him or them. A stick of wood on the outer door, footprints, that were not followed at the time, etc. and a mystery. How he, or they, got inside the Lodge is another puzzle. There have been practices for a forthcoming concert, and it has been supposed by some he went and hid himself within until his hour was come. Thus far is a summary of Chapter 1.

Chapter 2 opens on Saturday morning, the 5th inst. On Mr. COLBORNE's shop door, a quarter of a mile or so away from the Lodge, is found a tin containing notes and silver for one hundred and ten dollars, and an intimation that it is the property of the Arctic Lodge. The handwriting is of course disguised. Conscience seems to have had a hand in bringing back part of the price; the thief or thieves, having supposedly paid themselves out of the balance for the great and evident trouble they were at the in the burglary.

And now a detective is to be asked to write Chapter 3. It is feared that the thief had inside information, for as for the ordinary public they had scarcely dreamed the Arctic Lodge had contained such a sum of money. New members have been joining lately, and their fees may have helped to swell the exchequer until a thief grew covetous Poof Fellow! If he's found, he'll know that stolen money is bitter bait, if he knows it not too well already.

Rumors are rife as to doctors. A new one has gone to Twllingate, a Dr. CHANDLER, a rival to Dr. STAFFORD. We have heard one was to come to Moreton's Harbor, can a house and surgery be obtained? Twenty dollars is now the fee for a visit here from Twllingate to one not on the doctor's books, nine miles. Forty dollars was asked not long ago for going to Comfort Cove, about twice the distance. Poor people cannot afford to pay these prices, even could the doctors always bring renewed health, which is far from being the case.

Missionary meetings in the Methodist churches have been held at Tizzard's Harbor and here. The Twillingate and Farmer's Arm ministers were present. Meetings were also held at Twillingate and Exploits.


March 11, 1904



On Sunday night at "Bellevue" farm, Mount Pear , there passed away Miss Sarah A. KNIGHT, sister of the late Samuel Knight, at the advanced age of 84 years. The deceased lady had been an invalid for some years, and her death was not unexpected. A pathetic incident in connection with her decease is that her life-long friend, Mrs. James MURRAY, passed away only two days before her. The funeral takes place this evening.


The death of Mrs. MURRAY, widow of the late James MURRAY, occurred on Thursday night last, at the residence of her son, Mr. Edwin MURRAY. The deceased lady had lived a long and useful life, being in her 86th year, and was a daughter of the later Mr. STACEY, who at one time carried on an extensive business here. Two sons, Mr. Edwin MURRAY, and Mr. Arthur MURRAY (now at Sydney ) and four daughters, Mrs. John ANDERSON (now at Edinburgh ), Mrs. George ARCHIBALD (at London ), Mrs. OHMAN (at Montreal ) and Mrs. DEVELIN survive her. Her funeral took place on Sunday.

The crew of the wrecked sealing steamer Elliott will be brought from St. Paul 's Island to Channel by the Canadian cutter, s.s. Lady Laurier.



WOODWARD - A daughter to the Rev. and Mrs. H. Kilner WOODWARD, Petty Harbour , on March 22nd.

MARCH - On the 19th inst., a son to Mr. and Mrs. Frederick MARCH



BADCOCK - At Carbonear, March 7th, William BADCOCK, aged 61 years.

WAREHAM - At Haystack, P.B., on Jan 27th, Marion, beloved daughter of George WAREHAM, aged 19 years and 9 months.

DALTON - At Lynn , Mass. , Feb 29th, William DALTON, aged 55 years.

PENNEY - On Mar 19th, after a long and painful illness, James, beloved husband of Maria PENNEY.

CROCKER - On the 17th inst., Alex Luther, darling child of Alex and Melina CROCKER, aged 16 months.

DEVEREUX - On the 23rd inst., after a lingering illness, Eliza, beloved wife of Edward DEVEREUX, Sr. aged 75 years.

O'BURKE - At. St. Jacques, on the 23rd inst., Mary, beloved wife of Patrick O'BURKE, and daughter of the late Joseph J. WILLIAMS, Bay Bulls.

MURRAY - On March 24th, after a short illness, Elizabeth, wife of the late James MURRAY, aged 86 years.

BRADSHAW - At Placentia , on the 21st inst., Sarah, youngest daughter of the late W.G. BRADSHAW, Collector of Customs.

KNIGHT - On Sunday morning, after a long illness, Miss Sarah A. KNIGHT, sister of the late Samuel KNIGHT.

WILKIE - On Tuesday, March 8th at 193 Memtana Street , Montreal , George Ross, beloved wife of Charles A. WILKIE.

HAYES - On the 23rd inst., Brigus South, after a short illness, Mary, beloved wife of the late Michael HAYES, aged 58 years.

KIEL - On Mar 21st, after a short illness, John, beloved husband of Mary KIEL.


The Districts

The Reid Co, are now trying to clear the track to Bay of Islands, and on Friday morning a train left Bishop's Falls taking a large crew of men to engage in the work.

A mail from Bay of Islands reached the city on Wednesday morning, the first for a long while. It was brought across the Topsails by dog sleds to Millertown where it connected with the northern train.

Further particulars of the drowning of Relieving Officer HUMPHRIES at Greenspond, news of which reached the city last week, point to the case being one of suicide. Deceased had been acting strangely for some time past, but his friends had no suspicion that he contemplated doing away with himself. On the night of the tragedy he left home about 7 o'clock , and not returning by 11, search was made for him, but he could not be found. The next morning his body was found in the water near Downing's wharf. A wife and eight children, four of whom are away, survive him.



Page Contributed by Family Tree Group

Transcribed by: Beverly Warford

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit (Wednesday February 20, 2013)

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]