Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Daily News Obituaries
September 1959


The Daily News
September 3, 1959
Page: 5
Murrin - Gosse Wedding

The weatherman co-operated splendidly on Friday August 21 at 5:30 p.m., as the sun shone in all it's glory for the wedding of Olive Berdina, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Murrin and Wesley, son of Mr. and Mrs. James M. Gosse.
Given in marriage by her father and preceded by here bridesmaids, the bride entered the church to the strains of the Bridal Chorus. When the wedding principals were in position at the chancel steps, the assembled guests sang the hymn "The Voice that breathed o'er Eden" following which the double ring ceremony was performed by the rector, Rev. E. Willis, S.Th.
The bride looked radiant in a gown of nylon lace and tricot, the lace dipping to deep points in front and back, sweetheart neckline and long pointed sleeves. Her elbow-length veil of nylon net with lace edging was held in place by a nylon lace tiara with iridescent sequins. Her bouquet consisted of red roses and white carnations.
Maid of honour was the bride's sister, Jean (Mrs. Ches Cook) who was gowned in a street-length dress of blue organza with matching headdress and gloves. Her bouquet was made up of blue and white mums. Bridesmaids were Miss Janet Dawe and Miss Verna Smith who wore gowns identical with that of the maid of honour, only pink in colour. Their bouquets were similar.
Best man was the groom's brother Lewis and other attendants were Mr. Harold Murrin and Mr. Ches Cook, brother and brother-in-law of the bride, respectively. Ushers were LAC Wallace Murrin, the bride's brother, and Mr. Gus Mercer.
During the signing of the register the organist, Mr. E. H. Vokey, played "Because" after the congregation Sang "The Lord's My Shepherd". Following a motorcade to Bay Roberts and Harbour Grace, the reception and wedding banquets were held at Pike's Hotel. The bride's mother chose for the occasion a dress of royal blue with pink and white accessories; the groom's mother wore navy with white accessories.
Mr. William Hedderson acted as toastmaster. The toast to the bride was proposed by Rev. E. Willis and was appropriately responded to. The other usual toasts were duly honoured.
For her going-away outfit the bride chose a powder blue linen dress with matching accessories. The honeymoon was spent at Karwood Cabins. The groom's gift to the bride was a wristwatch and her gift to her husband was handsome luggage. To the bridesmaids compacts were given and to the best man and ushers, cufflinks.
Of the 150 guests the following were from out-of-town: Mrs. Nath Drover and Mrs. Stead from Boston, Mr. and Mrs. Wilfred Gosse, Const. Nathan and Mrs. Gosse from St. John's, LAC Wallace Murrin, St. Hubert, P.Q.
Mr. and Mrs. Gosse will shortly take up residence in St. John's where the groom is in his fourth year at University and where the bride will take up teaching at Springdale Street School.
(Gowns: The Model Shop, London New York and Paris; Cake: Manny's; Flowers: Howse of Flowers.)

The Daily News
September 4, 1959
Page: 6
Snow - Peddle Wedding
A very pretty wedding was solemnized at St. Thomas' Church July 31st at 7:30 p.m., when Barbara Ruth, daughter of Mrs. and the late Mr. John Snow, Torbay Road, was united in Holy Matrimony to Roland Clarence, son of Mr. and Mrs. Roland Peddle, 11 Vaughan Place. The double ring ceremony was performed by Rev. E. D. Kendall.
The church was suitably decorated and as the bride entered the church the wedding march was rendered by Mr. Douglas Belbin, the church organist.
The bride was given in marriage by her uncle, Mr. Malcolm Cook, who acted as father giver. She chose a floor length gown of schiffll-embroidered lace having princess lines, Sabrina neckline and bouffant skirt. Her fingertip veil of pure silk illusion hung from a crown studded with pearls and sequins. She carried a bouquet of red sweetheart roses, white stephanotis and adiantum fern.
The bride was attended by her eldest sister, Mrs. Harry Barron, as matron of honour, and her sister, Mrs. Jan Verbree and Miss Laura Field as bridesmaids. The matron of honour and bridesmaids wore matching street length dresses of copen blue silk organza matching picture hats white silk gloves, white shoes and carried bouquets of yellow Shasta daisies.
The groom was attended by Mr. Jane Verbree as best man, and the ushers were Mr. Cecil Dawe and Mr. Douglas Chaytor.
After the ceremony the reception was held at the Old Colony Club for 150 guests. Present also for the occasion were Mrs. John Barrett of Verdun, Montreal, aunt of the groom and her daughter, Mrs. John Burton and son, Billy of Ottawa. The bride's mother received the guests wearing a street length gown of pale blue lace over silk, with matching pale blue hat and white accessories, and wore a corsage of pale pink carnations. The groom's mother assisted wearing a royal street length gown, fur stole, with white accessories and wore a corsage of deep pink carnations.
Following supper the customary toasts were performed with Mr. Harold Duffett as toastmaster. Rev. E. D. Kendall proposed the toast to the bride. Messages of congratulations and best wishes were read from the young couple's relatives and friends in other parts of Newfoundland and the Mainland. The remainder of the evening was spent dancing to the music of the Princess Orchestra.
For traveling the bride wore a pale blue suit with white accessories and a corsage of pink and white carnations. The honeymoon was spent at St. Pierre and touring the Burin and Avalon Peninsula.
Mr. and Mrs. Peddle are now residing at 11 Vaughan Place.

The Daily News
September 10, 1959
Page: 10
Spaniard's Bay, September 8 -
Dawe - Gosse Wedding

The Church of St. John the Evangelist was the scene of a very pretty summer wedding on Friday, August 28, at 7:30 p.m., when Janet Elizabeth, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Allan Dawe, Coley's Point, became the bride of Lewis Eldon, son of Mr. and Mrs. James M. Gosse of Spaniard's Bay. Rev. H. M. Batten, Rural Dean, assisted by Rev. I. Butler, B.A., Rector, performed the double ring ceremony.
Whilst the guest were being ushered into the beautifully decorated church by Mr. Edgar Dawe, brother of the bride, and Mr. Hector Dawe, a close friend, Mr. E. H. Vokey played appropriate wedding music.
Given in marriage by her father, the bride looked radiant in a floor length bouffant-skirted gown of traditional white nylon and lace, fitted bodice with long pointed sleeves. Her shoulder length veil of nylon tulle was held in place by a tiara of pearls and rhinestones. She carried a white prayer book decorated with white streamers and red sweetheart roses.
Her maid of honour, Miss Marilyn French, and bridesmaids, Mrs. Fred Bowering and Mrs. Wesley Gosse, wore identical street length dresses of link silk organza with matching tiaras. They each carried nosegays of pink and white carnations.
The duties of best man were performed by Mr. Wesley Gosse, brother of the groom. Mr. Allan Dawe, Jr., and Mr. Fred Bowering were bridesboys.
During the signing of the register, the choir, of which the bride had been a member sang "The Lord is my Shepherd."
The reception was held at the C.E.A.A. Hall, Coley's Point, where the mother of the bride in a dress of navy blue lace with white accessories, received the guests with the groom's mother who wore a dress of navy blue crepe with white accessories. Both wore corsages of pink and white carnations.
Following a delicious turkey dinner, the customary toasts were honoured with Mr. Leslie Dawe as toastmaster. The remainder of the evening was spent dancing.
The honeymoon was spent at Ocean Pond. Mr. and Mrs. Gosse are now residing at Spaniard's Bay.

The Daily News
September 15, 1959
Page: 5
Bell Island -
Reid - Pynn Wedding

A very pretty wedding was solemnized at St. Cyprian's Church, Bell Island, July 30th when Margaret Reid, daughter of Mrs. Helen Reid and the late Dougal Reid, the Green, Bell Island, became the bride of Edgar Pynn, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward Pynn, West Mines, Bell Island.
The ceremony was performed by the Rev. T. E. Smith. The reception was held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Reid, West Mines, Bell Island. The brides maids were Lena Jones, Blenda Gear; brides boys were Gerald Clark and Gordon Reid. The flower girl was Mary Reid, sister of the bride.
Best wishes are extended the happy couple.

The Daily News
September 24, 1959
Page: 9
Spaniard's Bay, September 22 -
William Snow
, 51, passed away in St. John's on Thursday, September 17. He was employed by a construction firm and was stricken suddenly ill while working and passed away in a few minutes. The sad news was conveyed to his widow, the former Violet Sheppard, and their daughter, Marion by Rev. S. R. Purchase of the United Church.
The late Mr. Snow, who formerly lived at Victoria, Carbonear, came to live here about fifteen years ago and in that time his quiet and sincere manner won for him many friends, to whom his sudden demise was a shock. Bill Snow was a carpenter by trade, and although ill health confined his activities considerably in recent years, he was an industrious man and was working when the final summons came.
His funeral was held from his late residence on Saturday afternoon under the direction of undertaker W. Baggs. The Rev. S. R. Purchase conducted the service at the home, in the church and at the graveside. Mr. Eugene Gosse presided at the organ in the United Church while the congregation sang the hymn "O for a closer walk with God" and "Jesus, lover of my soul". Rev. Purchase preached a sermon fitting for the occasion and at the end of the service all stood while the Dead March was played as a tribute to the memory of a loving husband and father.
Besides his widow and daughter, he is mourned by two brothers who work at Buchans. To them we offer sincere sympathy.
"What peaceful hours we once enjoyed,
How sweet their memory still;
But they have left an aching void
The world can never fill."

The Daily News
September 24, 1959
Page: 9
Spaniard's Bay, September 22 -
Soper - Smith Wedding

The marriage of Miss Lillian Soper of Carbonear to Jack Smith of Spaniard's Bay took place in the United Church, Carbonear on Friday, September 18, Rev. B. B. ????? officiated.

Unable to read remainder of article in full, however, " she was attended by Mrs. Mary Hutchings, sister of the groom" and "Mr. Harold Hutchings was best man." "After the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the groom's parent's, Mr. and Mrs. James Smith of Spaniard's Bay, where sixty guests were received. A delicious wedding supper was served."



Page contributed by Bob Vokey

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit ( Thursday May 16, 2013 )

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]