The Daily News
September 2, 1958
Spaniard's Bay, August 26 -
Mrs. Elizabeth Pike passed peacefully away at her late residence in Spaniard's Bay on Friday, August 22, following an illness of several months. She was the widow of the late Henry Pike and she was in her seventy-seventh year.
She with her husband raised a large family and so her life's work was chiefly centered in the home where she shone as a kind and loving mother. Being a devout Anglican, she was a regular communicant.
Her funeral was held on Sunday afternoon when a large number of relatives and friends attended as a tribute to one of the community's elder and respected citizens.
Rev. L. A. J. Ludlow, rector of St. Paul's, Harbour Grace, conducted the burial service. Appropriate music at the home and in the Church of the Holy Redeemer was supplied by Mr. E. H. Vokey. Burial was in the family plot in the Anglican Cemetery.
Left to mourn their sad loss are six sons, Norman, Gordon, Donald, Levi, Stewart and Harry, three daughters, Gertie (Mrs. George Pike, Boston), Flossie (Mrs. James Welsh, Boston) and Myrtle (Mrs. James Dwyer at Spaniard's Bay), as well as by thirty-four grandchildren and seventeen great grandchildren, and one step-brother, Mr. Bert Neil.
May her soul, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.
The Daily News
September 25, 1958
Porter - Learning Wedding
The Church of the Ascension, Mount Pearl, was the scene of a very pretty wedding on August 28th at 7:30 p.m., when Sylvia Learning, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Eric Learning, Mount Pearl, became the bride of Albert Porter, son of Mr. and Mrs. Nathaniel Porter of Spaniard's Bay.
The bride looked lovely as she entered the church on the arm of her father. She wore a floor length gown of white lace and net embroidered with sequins and pearls over satin. Her shoulder length veil held in place by a pearl tiara. She carried a bouquet of white carnations and red roses with lily-of-the-valley.
Miss Mona Ralph, as maid of honor, was gowned in a Rose ballerina length gown with matching picture hat. She carried a posy of carnations.
The bridesmaids were Miss Judy Learning, sister of the bride. Miss Betty Barrett and Miss Carol Squires, making a charming picture in identical gowns of sky blue tulle with matching bolero's and picture hats. They carried pink carnation posies.
The church was beautifully decorated with flowers, while organist Mr. Clyde Johnston played appropriate music. During the ceremony hymns were sung by the church choir.
The ushers were Jerry Russell, Bob Kennedy, Peter Barnes, while the groom was attended by Jack Sheppard as best man.
The reception was held at the Park-Le. The bride's mother received wearing a Rose-beige lace and crepe gown, with matching accessories, her corsage was white roses with pink carnations assisted by the groom's mother, who was attired in a mauve crepe gown with white accessories and a corsage of yellow carnations.
The duties of toastmaster were performed by Mr. Edgar Adams. The toast to the bride and groom was proposed by Rev. R. R. Babb, to which the groom suitably responded.
The bride's traveling ensemble was a beige and brown suit, with white accessories and a corsage of yellow roses.
The honeymoon was spent a Salmonier.
Mr. and Mrs. Albert Porter will reside at Spaniard's Bay.
The Daily News
September 25, 1958
Spaniard's Bay, September 2 -
Smith - Mercer Wedding
The Church of the Good Sheppard, Norman's Cove, was the scene of a very pretty wedding on August 21, at 7 p.m., when Susanna Mildred, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Smith, Norman's Cove, became the bride of James Howard, son of Mr. and Mrs. James Mercer of Shearstown. The ceremony was performed by Rev. B. R. Palford, assisted by Rev. W. E. R. Cracknell.
The bride looked radiant as she entered the church on the arm of her father. She wore a floor-length gown of white lace and net over satin. Her waist length veil of embroidered net was held in place by a tiara of sequins and pearls. She carried a bouquet of red roses and white carnations.
Miss Marjorie Smith, sister of the bride as maid of honour, wore an aqua ballerina length gown with matching headdress. She carried a bouquet of aqua and white carnations. Another sister of the bride, Miss Muriel Smith, was bridesmaid. She wore a pink ballerina length gown with matching headdress and carried a bouquet of pink and white carnations.
The groom was ably supported by Mr. William Hedderson as best man, and by Mr. Ernest Smith, the bride's brother. The ushers were Mr. Kenneth Smith and Mr. Winston Smith, brothers of the bride.
A third sister of the bride, Miss Viola Smith, presided at the organ. During the ceremony the hymn "Lead Us Heavenly Father, Lead Us" was sung and during the signing of the register "The Voice That Breathed O'er Eden".
The reception was held at the Anglican School for 300 guests. Mr. V. C. Sparkes was master of ceremonies and the usual toasts were honoured.
The bride's mother received wearing navy and white accessories and she was assisted by the groom's mother who was similarly attired. Both wore corsages of pink and white carnations.
The honeymoon was spent touring the Burin Peninsula and a visit to the French Island of St. Pierre.
The will reside at Shearstown and at the beginning of the school year the groom will resume his position as principal of the Anglican School at Coley's Point. Their friends wish the newlywed every happiness.