Presented by the
Newfoundland's Grand Banks Site
to assist you in researching your Family History

Click on the graphic below to return to the NGB Home Page
Newfoundland's Grand Banks

To contribute to this site, see above menu item "About".

These transcriptions may contain human errors.
As always, confirm these, as you would any other source material.

The Daily News Obituaries
September 1957


The Daily News
September 3, 1957
Page: 16
Ex-Const. Gordon William Crocker
- Died Sunday, September 1st, 1957 ex-Const. Gordon William Crocker, aged 44 years of 25 Kitchener Avenue, surviving are his wife, two sons, father, two sisters and one brother. The funeral will take place today, Tuesday, September 3rd at 2:30 p.m. by motor hears from The Masonic Temple, Cathedral Street to St. Thomas' Church. Interment at Anglican Cemetery, Forest Road.

The Daily News
September 13, 1957
Page: 24
Martin Gosse
- Passed peacefully away at Spaniard's Bay in his 90th year, Captain Martin Gosse; leaving to mourn his wife, one son and three daughters. Funeral notice later.
Note: Martin Gosse was born: September 28, 1867 @ Spaniard's Bay
Parents: Robert Gosse & Eliza Stokes

The Daily News
September 19, 1957
Page: 10
Spaniard's Bay, Sept. 17 -
Captain Martin Gosse
- Last Sunday afternoon we called at the home of Captain Martin Gosse. Our chief reason was to request his permission to take a photograph of him and to use it next week when he would observe his 90th birthday. So soon did the hour pass that before we realized it church time had come. That one-hour was indeed a pleasant one for us and one we shall not soon forget. To add to our pleasure we had the privilege to offer him a lift to church. Little did we think that such an active man, active mentally and physically, would not be with us a week later. He passed very peacefully away on Thursday, September 12.
Martin Gosse was the younger son of Robert and Eliza (Stokes) Gosse and was born on September 28, 1867. He was educated at the old C.C.C. and S. School, then at the C. of E. Academy at Bay Roberts, finishing off at the Navigation School in St. John's.
The Labrador fishery was in his blood from his infancy, for when he crossed the Straits for his first time he was only nine months old. For the first seventy-three years of his life, seventy-two summers were spent in Labrador.
He and his brother George (who died a few months ago at the age of 91) really began their partnership at the age of 11 years when they, with the aid of their father, built a punt. This partnership lasted for seventy-one years. He must have been a good worker because at the age of fourteen he was a shareman, a man's share of the fish for a man's share of the work. At eighteen he was placed in charge of a crew as "master of the seine" (there were no cod traps then), and the same year he became master of the schooner "New Era."
He made his first trip to the ice fields at the age of nineteen in the "Vanguard" of which his father was the master. For the following ten springs he went to the ice, seven in all with his father and four with Captain Charles Dawe of Bay Roberts and holding the position of "scunner" and master's watch.
When their father retired from business in 1883, the firm of Robert Gosse was taken over by his two sons, George and Martin, under the name of G. and M Gosse. They operated fishing stations (rooms) at Horse Harbour, Holton, Henley Harbour, and these stations took their crews each summer in their own schooners, "New Era", "Springbird", "Harry Smith", "Hermanie" (later known as the "Maxwell Roy") and the "Exotic". In their peak years the firm of G. and M. Gosse fitted out 250 fishermen (50 - 60 crews) and exported about 12,000 quintals of cod. Besides fitting out the crews the firm always guaranteed the summer's wages of the maid carried by each crew and often paid them in poor seasons. Although the brothers discontinued their business partnership.
Skipper Martin, as he was known by his contemporaries, joined the Loyal Orange Association in 1885 and at his death was probably the oldest in active membership in the order. He was initiated into the Royal Black Preceptory in 1902 and some years later became a member of Lodge MacKay AF and AM. As a life-long adherent of the Methodist (later the United Church), he was foremost in his work and worship. It can be said of him that by diligence did he seek matters spiritual. He was indeed a Christian gentleman. He seldom if ever did any public speaking, but he was an interesting conversationalist. He read widely (and without spectacles) and kept abreast of the times on a local, provincial, national and international level.
His funeral, which was attended by Masons, Orangemen, Royal Black Knights, foremen, business associates and friends from near and far, took place on Saturday afternoon to the United Church were the service was conducted by the minister, Rev. S. R. Purchase, B.A., B.D., assisted by Rev. Ezra Broughton O.B.E., of Brigus. Miss Doris Badcock of Bay Roberts was the organist. Interment was in the family plot.
Mourning their loss are his widow, one son, Eric (Deputy Minister of Fisheries, St. John's, three daughters, Mabel (Mrs. Allan Jerrett, St. John's); Florence (Major C. A. Sheppard), Cavelle (Mrs. David Dawe, Spaniard's Bay). In offering our sincere sympathy we hope they find consolidation in the meaningful hymn:
"All the way my Savior leads me;
Oh, the fullness of His grace!
Perfect rest to me is promised
In my Father's blest embrace.
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
Wings its flight to realms of day,
This my song through endless ages:
Jesus led me all the way,
This my song through endless ages:
Jesus led me all the way."

The Daily News
September 21, 1957
Page: 20
Jane Hazel Gosse
- Passed peacefully away at Spaniard's Bay at 2 a.m. Saturday, Jane Hazel Gosse, widow of the late Captain Martin Gosse, leaving to mourn one son Eric, three daughters: Mabel (Mrs. Allan Jerrett), St. John's, Cavel (Mrs. Dave Dawe), Spaniard's Bay, and Forence (Mrs. Claude Sheppard), St. John's. Funeral 2:30 p.m. Sunday from her late residence at Spaniard's Bay.

The Daily News
September 21, 1957
Page: 11
Kavanagh - Power Wedding

The Rev. Fr. J. W. McGettigan, officiated at the Nuptial Mass on August 31 at the Immaculate Conception Church when Miss Evelyn M. Kavanagh, became the bride of Mr. Cyril J. Power. It was a double ring ceremony and the altar was decorated with pink and lemon gladiolas for the happy occasion.
The bride is the daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Ronald Kavanagh, and the groom is the son of Mrs. Mary Power and the late W. R. Power.
Given in marriage by her father the bride wore a floor length gown of brocaded nylon over taffeta with a Queen Ann waist, long and tapered sleeves, French silk illusion fell from her hat of matching lace studded with rhinestones and pearls. She carried a prayer book adorned with red baby roses and white streamers.
Miss Yvonne Kavanagh, sister of the bride, acted as maid of honour and the bridesmaids were Misses Patricia Stoyles and Loretta Bennett. They wore identical gowns of jersey nylon over net and taffeta of romance blue with matching headdress and carried matching bouquets of white and tinted carnations.
The two little flower girls, Mary and Ida Power, nieces of the groom, wore matching blue dresses of nylon, full skirt and trimmed with large bows at the back. They carried small colorful nosegays.
Mr. Brian Power carried out the duties of best man and the ushers were Messrs. Ronald Kavanagh, Jr., brother of the bride and William K. Power, brother of the groom.
The bride's mother wore a street length dress of navy blue lace over taffeta with pink accessories. The groom's mother wore a street length dress of beige Madeira with brown accessories. Both wore corsages of pink tea roses.
After the wedding ceremony the bridal party motored to St. Michael's Hall where the toastmaster, Corpl. Hank Light arranged the bridal party and they received about 150 guests.
The wedding breakfast was then served by St. Anne's Sodality. After the breakfast the toastmaster called upon Rev. Fr. J. W. McGettigan, who spoke briefly on the ceremony. He then proposed the toast to the bride and groom, after which the groom ably responded and in turn proposed the toast to the bridesmaids. The best man replied and then proposed the toast to the bride's parents. The father of the bride responded. Corporal Light then spoke of the mother of the groom and her son responded. After which the guests proceeded to the dance hall where McLean's Orchestra was in attendance.
The bride's going away outfit was a pink sheath dress with matching coat and pale pink accessories. Her corsage was pink and white carnations.
The bride and groom spent their honeymoon touring the West Coast.
Flowers - Howse of Flowers
Gowns - Model Shop
Cake - Groom's mother



Page contributed by Bob Vokey

Page Revised by Ivy F. Benoit ( Thursday May 16, 2013 )

Newfoundland's Grand Banks is a non-profit endeavor.
No part of this project may be reproduced in any form
for any purpose other than personal use.

JavaScript DHTML Menu Powered by Milonic

© Newfoundland's Grand Banks (1999-2018)

Hosted by
Chebucto Community Net

Your Community, Online!

You can search the entire NGB site
by using the [Google] search below.

Search through the whole site
[Recent] [Contacts] [Home]